InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Life's Tough Get a Helmet ❯ Chapter 6

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of its characters.
Flames welcome.

Life’s Tough Get a Helmet
By: Miyukyshan


Chapter Six

Previously:

Rin thanked him before jumping out of the car and running up to her house. Sesshomaru looked after her longingly and took off. Rin could feel hot tears pouring down her cheeks. She surprised herself to find that she was more upset to find Sesshomaru kissing Kagura than she was about almost drowning.

She sighed miserably and walked inside. It was unusually dark.

“Rin, where have you been?”

Her breath hitched and she turned frightened eyes to the man sitting on the steps leading to her room.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

“I asked ‘where’ve you been?!’” her father shouted drunkenly. He stood up and swerved, grabbing onto the railing for support.

Rin looked around frantically. She wondered if Sesshomaru would still be out front. She could make a run for it and pray she got to his car before her father got his hands on her.

“I told you I was going to Inuyasha’s pool party. You gave me permission,” she said carefully, wincing when her voice cracked.

He frowned at her and stumbled closer. Rin turned and walked into the kitchen with hopes of him passing out before he had time to make it into the adjoining room.

“Get back here!” she heard him yell.

Silent tears fell down her cheeks and she scrubbed them off her face. The smell of alcohol was strong and it aggravated her nose and made her eyes burn. Rin turned frightened eyes to the door she just passed through and choked back a sob. Her father staggered into the large kitchen and glared down at his only child with hatred. He was a tall, intimidating man; the kind of man women would call attractive. His onyx black hair and blue eyes had enticed many women into entering her home over the last six years.

He cast an uninterested glance over her, his bloodshot eyes stopping to admire the red bikini Izayoi bought her. Rin pulled the towel tightly around her thin frame and backed away from him. His eyes narrowed on her and he walked over to the island that separated them. A large butcher knife had been left out and the moonlight glinted off the sharp blade.

“I don’t seem to remember giving you permission to go to this pool party,” he murmured as he fingered the blade fondly. He looked up at Rin and scowled. “I’ll have to punish you for sneaking around behind my back.”

Rin looked at him desperately, taking larger steps away from him as he advanced. “No, no you said it was okay if I went,” Rin said.

Her father’s eyes widened and he staggered over to her. He wrapped his hand around her throat and slammed her against the wall. A surprised scream ripped out of her throat as his iron grip tightened.

“Are you afraid of me?” he whispered, his face so close to hers she could feel his breath on her skin. He pulled her forward and slammed her into the wall again. “I asked if you’re afraid of me!” he bellowed.

Rin sobbed and nodded her head. She couldn’t form words through the fingers laced around her neck. She eyed the blade warily as he brought it up and pressed the tip into her cheek. He smiled as tears rolled out of her eyes and fell onto the hand gripped around her. The pulse beating beneath his fingers was erratic.

“I want to hear you say it,” he snarled.

Rin tried to find her voice as she struggled to breathe. All that came out of her mouth were small choking sounds.

“Say it!” he screamed as he shook her violently.

“Yes, I’m scared of you!” she cried out once he relaxed his grip.

“I didn’t say ‘scared,’ I said ‘afraid.’”

Rin whimpered and felt her entire body go slack. There was no way she was getting off easy tonight. Her father tightened his grip again and dragged the blade along her cheek. He watched in awe as a long, thin line of blood appeared down the length of her skin before the crimson liquid started pouring from the fresh wound.

Rin suddenly wished she was back in the pool drowning. It had been terrifying, but it was a different sort of terror. No one was inflicting pain on her. No one threatened her life and tortured her. Why me? She thought as the man she hated shook her once more.

“Answer me!” he yelled in her ear.

“Yes, I’m afraid of you!” she screamed, hating herself for being so weak.

Her father scowled and released her throat. He thrust the blade into the wall by her face and backhanded her.

Rin staggered to the side and knocked over a vase propped up on a mahogany stand. She toppled over on top of the beautiful porcelain and screamed when the glass shattered beneath her. Pieces of the thick vase dug into her exposed skin. Her father lifted his foot and pressed down on her back, reveling in the cry it elicited from her. He kicked her roughly in the hip before spitting at her.

“Worthless piece of trash,” he grumbled before going into the living room and passing out on the couch.

Rin lay still for a moment, making sure he was out before giving way to her sobs. Her whole body shook as she curled up and tried to disappear beneath the floor. The aching in her stomach was nothing compared to the emptiness she felt from being alone. But she knew if she stayed on the ground too long she would die from blood loss. Rin carefully pulled her arms under her body and attempted to push off the floor. The pain was unbearable. If she continued on her hands and knees she would throw up. She moaned in agony before dropping back onto her butchered stomach.

She had to get to a phone. She wasn’t going to die this way… not yet. Rin tried again with her newfound determination, this time dragging herself across the floor. It was much more painful, but she didn’t feel as nauseous as she did before. A thick trail of blood smeared behind her as she dragged her body across the floor. The phone seemed so far away. The glass in her stomach scraped against the kitchen floor as she pulled her broken body toward the counter. She reached up, letting out a strangled cry when she couldn’t reach the edge of the counter. Black dots blurred her vision and she stretched farther, her breath coming out in ragged gasps. Her bloody fingers clenched around the edge and she lifted herself to lean against it. Her chest heaved and the contents of her stomach came spewing out.

Rin dropped her head in exhaustion, the cool granite counter cooling her sweat-soaked forehead. The amount of blood she lost was taking its toll, and she found it difficult to focus. She grabbed the phone and dialed Miroku’s number before she blacked out. It rang a few times before his welcoming voice greeted her.

“Miroku,” she wheezed.

“Rin? Rin what’s wrong?” he asked.

“Miroku, hurry. It’s… it’s bad,” she choked out. The room began to spin and she dropped the phone.

“Rin! Stay where you are. I’m coming to get you!” the voice in the receiver screamed.

Rin’s stomach heaved again and she fell to the floor. The ground continued to spin as she lay there in her own vomit, slipping in and out of consciousness. She heard the distant sound of a door slamming against the wall and footsteps pounding against the floor.

“I don’t know where she is!” a panic-stricken voice called out.

“Oh dear God… Miroku, she’s in the kitchen. Hurry!” she heard someone scream.

A bright light turned on and she moaned, turning away from the unwelcome light. A pair of shoes entered her line of vision before her world faded to black.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

“Miroku! I think she’s waking up!”

Rin groaned. Her head was pounding and it felt like she had been cut in two.

Oh yeah… I basically was. She groaned again when a bright light flashed from her right. She folded her arms across her face, trying to block out the bright nuisance.

“Sango, turn off that lamp! You’re hurting her eyes,” Miroku said.

“Miro?” Rin whispered hoarsely. She almost cried from joy when the light disappeared.

“Yes, Rin. It’s me. Oh God, Rin. We weren’t sure if you were coming out of this one. How are you feeling? Are you all right?” he asked.

Rin tried to open her eyes. The simple movement made her head pound, but she went ahead and glanced around the room. “Where am I?” she asked.

“Rin, you’re in the hospital. Don’t you remember what happened?” Sango said.

“What day is it?” Rin asked, ignoring Sango.

“Tuesday,” Miroku said.

“What? I’ve been out for three days?” She could only imagine what people were saying about her at school. “Do they know?” she asked. Her voice gained strength as she stretched her unused vocal chords.

“Does who know what?” Miroku asked softly.

“The doctors. Do they know what happened?” Rin asked, suddenly frightened.

Miroku and Sango sighed.

“Look, Rin,” Miroku began, “Sango and I have been talking. We think it’s time for you to give up this charade. You need to get help. This whole thing is getting way out of hand. Rin, you could have died!” Miroku said.

Rin’s eyes widened in alarm when she realized what Miroku was suggesting. “No, no! You all promised you wouldn’t!” Rin cried out.

Miroku shook his head and Sango looked away to hide the tears in her eyes. They didn’t know the gravity of the situation. Her father had shown her what would happen if their little secret leaked out. If she or any one of her friends decided to squeal they would slowly be picked off. Her father had connections. The man he hired was a professional and her father paid him well. Even if he ended up in jail, the agreement was her friends were to be taken out. Rin was oblivious to the tears that poured down her cheeks as she thought of her friends’ fate.

“Please. Please don’t! You don’t understand,” Rin cried.

Miroku threw his hands up angrily and Sango began to cry.

“I can’t deal with this anymore! I can’t keep doing this. Do you know what it’s like to watch you disappear behind those doors not knowing if you’ll come out the next day? Look what you’re doing to us! Look what you’re doing to your best friends!” Miroku yelled as he pointed at Sango.

Rin hated to admit it, but Sango did look rough. Her eyes were red and puffy from crying and dark circles had formed under them. She hadn’t slept much since Rin was hospitalized.

Kagome walked tiredly into the room with three cups of coffee balancing in her hands. “I’m back with the… She’s awake.” Kagome dropped the cups and ran to Rin’s bedside. She looked almost as bad as Sango.

Miroku was right, but there was nothing she could do about it. Her eyes widened as an idea slowly formed in her head. She looked up at Miroku and gave him a sad smile.

“Maybe you all shouldn’t hang out with me anymore,” she murmured sadly.

Sango choked on a sob and fell into a chair and propped her head in her hands. Miroku glared at Rin, but she refused to back down. She had suffered through too much to cower away. She felt her hand being squeezed and looked at Kagome. She had tears in her eyes and her lip was quivering.

“Why would you even think something like that?” she whispered through her tears.

“Because that way I know you’ll be safe,” Rin replied.

Miroku sighed and took a seat on the other side of her bed. “What are you talking about, Rinny? And you have to tell us. We deserve to know.”

Rin sniffled and squeezed Kagome’s hand, hoping to find strength in her presence. “If we tell someone, you’ll all be killed,” she blurted out.

Kagome gasped and Miroku stared at her in horror.

“What do you mean?” he demanded.

Rin looked up at him miserably. “He’s hired someone to kill you if any of us squeals. He even showed me the documents,” Rin said.

Sango jumped out of her chair and shook with anger. “And why didn’t you inform us that we’re gonna be dragged down with you if your little secret gets out?” she yelled hysterically.

Rin looked at Sango in shock. Miroku had taken hold of her and was trying to calm her down as she screamed at Rin. Rin turned to Kagome for some sign of support, but Kagome dropped her hand and turned away from her.

“Why didn’t you tell us? Don’t you think we had a right to know our lives were in danger, too? What if one of us had told someone? We’d all be dead,” Kagome reasoned, not bothering to hide the hurt in her tone.

“Kagome,” Rin sobbed.

Everything had gotten so out of control. She felt like she was on the verge of losing her best friends.

There’s only one way to fix this. Rin thought. She managed to lean forward far enough to pull the knife out of Miroku’s pocket. He watched her curiously as she flipped out the blade.

“Rin, what are you doing?” he asked.

She looked up at him stubbornly and pressed the blade against her bruised throat. Kagome cried out and Miroku let go of Sango.

“I’m stopping all of this! This way you all won’t have to tell and no one will get hurt,” Rin said.

Miroku stumbled forward and stopped when Rin pressed the blade harder against her skin.

“Rin stop! This is ridiculous. You aren’t thinking rationally. There are other ways!”

“No, there aren’t! Unless my father and the man he hired are miraculously killed…. There’s no other way,” Rin whispered.

Kagome whimpered and dropped to the ground, catching Rin’s attention. Miroku leaped forward and pried the knife out of her fingers. Rin kicked and screamed as tears poured out of her eyes, desperately clawing at Miroku to get his weapon. Miroku threw his knife across the room and covered Rin’s body with his own. He pulled her close and buried his face against her neck. Rin sobbed and went limp in his arms, too tired to fight back.

“Please, I don’t want the only people I love to die because of me,” Rin choked.

Kagome and Sango ran to them and wrapped their arms around the pair.

“We love you too, Rin. That gives us the right to protect you, even if it means protecting you from yourself. We won’t tell, but please be careful,” Miroku murmured against her neck.

Rin pulled him close and snuggled against the warmth of her friends. Sango ran her fingers through Rin’s hair while Kagome wiped the tears from her face. Miroku’s shoulders shook as he cried against her.

“I was so scared when I saw you on the kitchen floor. There was so much blood. Your heart stopped beating in the car. I thought I lost you. You’re like my little sister, Rinny. I can’t lose you,” he whispered hoarsely.

Rin pressed her forehead against Miroku’s shoulder and rubbed small circles on his back. Miroku pulled away and placed a small kiss on her forehead.

“You’re my little sister, Rinny. That’s all there is to it,” Miroku said as he stared into her wide brown eyes.

She smiled back at him and pulled him down for a hug.

“We love you so much. We just hate to see you getting hurt all the time,” Sango said sadly.

Rin looked at her and smiled before poking Miroku in the side. “Hey Miro, you’re hurting my stomach.” She laughed when he jumped off her and nearly sent Sango crashing into the wall.

Sango bashed him over the head before turning to the two other girls and crooning over them. A nurse stomped in the room and glared disapprovingly at Rin’s friends before announcing she could be discharged. The fat woman helped her into a wheelchair and pushed her out to Miroku’s car. Once Rin was safely nestled between Kagome and Sango, Miroku sped off to his house.

Rin objected to having Miroku carry her inside, but his grim expression left no room for argument. Sango and Kagome stripped Rin and helped her dress in some of Miroku’s clothes. The four of them then settled into Miroku’s bed and eventually fell asleep. Rin managed to stay awake and smiled at the two girls burrowed against each side of her. Miroku’s stomach growled and Rin stifled a giggle. He had opted to lie at their heads, stretched out in a halo around them. Kagome groaned and clutched Rin’s shoulder before nuzzling deeper against her.

I don’t know how I was even able to think about tearing myself away from these three. Rin thought happily as she drifted off to sleep, the nightmare that was unfolding currently forgotten.