InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ On a Wing & a Prayer ❯ The Pain in his Eyes ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

On a Wing & a Prayer

Part IV: The Pain in his Eyes

Gina thought for a moment, still in that lonely patch of courtyard. Am I really that annoying? She shook her head. "Why should I care anything about that pretentious freak?" she muttered angrily. She turned and walked back inside, still fuming. That jerk, she thought cynically, he probably just get tired of me and kill me off. With that thought, she started walking again.

But, she had no idea where she was. With directions, her memory was non-existent. In that past few minutes, she knew she had already taken quite a few wrong turns, but she had no recollection of which direction was right exactly. She stopped, trying to think back. Which way did I come? She turned the corner, walking down a completely new hall. By this point, she was utterly and totally lost. It had been getting dark when she was outside, and now the halls were blacked as well, lit only by a few small torches.

"Jeeze," she grumbled lowly, "How could a guy who lives alone with no friends need such a big castle?" She laughed a little to herself, but the slight feeling of comfort soon dissipated. For some strange reason, she wished that Kyoko, the kitsune woman that had tended her wounds, were there. Besides the little girl named Rin, she knew no one else in the castle. Or, at least no one who had been kind to her. Except for the fact that he had saved her from that terrible demon in the woods, he had treated her like dirt. Even when he had been kind enough to offer to teach her to use a sword, he had backed out and blamed her for his migraine.

He is such a virgin, she mused, smirking a little. Then she heard footsteps behind her. She turned and saw no one. She looked back out in front of her, when someone behind her spoke. "A little lost?" Gina spun around again. There was Sesshomaru, staring at her with a raised eyebrow. "I…I guess so," she replied in a low mumble. Apparently, though, he had heard her. He walked over to her, filling the distance in only two strides. Gina winced a little, thinking he would strike her, but he didn't.

Instead, he set his large hand on her shoulder, turning her a little. He then started walking, Gina in tow. As they walked, Gina looked up at his emotionless features. He could feel her staring. "What?" he asked. Gina looked down, blushing a little. "O-oh, nothing. I r-really didn't expect you to walk me b-back to my room, that's all," she stuttered. He stopped and looked down at her, glaring slightly. "Well, if you don't want anything to do with me, I'd be glad to leave you here," he said, his voice like ice. But Gina wasn't really paying attention to what he was saying, since she was much too busy gazing into his amber eyes.

Unlike his expression, his eyes were deep, piercing, and full of pain. Like windows into his lonely soul. She had never seen anything like those eyes…nothing so hurt. Gina came back to the real world when she heard him speak.

"What are you staring at?" he demanded. Gina quickly looked away, not knowing what would be the best answer. "Oh, nothing, just…nothing," she replied. Sesshomaru rolled his eyes a bit, let go of Gina's shoulder, and started walking again. Not wanting to get lost once again, Gina followed, staying at a close distance from the seemingly frustrated demon lord.

Maybe he does have a soul, Gina thought in amazement. Well, he did save her from that demon. But for how long would he keep her alive? So many thoughts flooded her at once. As she entered her room, she watched Sesshomaru disappear into the darkness. And when he was gone, she shut the massive door, and crept back to the large bed to sleep, the only other thing she could do.