InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Past Mind, Present Body ❯ Unexpected Visits ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 7: Unexpected Visits
 
Kagome felt tears fill her eyes as she looked down at her grandfather's lifeless body. He had just fallen asleep to take a nap and when Kagome cam to check on him, she found him dead.
 
“Momma, he's gone,” Kagome said when her mother walked into the room.
 
“Oh honey, come here,” her mother said and pulled Kagome into a hug.
 
“I just never thought he would be gone. He's always been there and now he's gone,” Kagome sobbed.
 
“Don't worry, Kagome. He will always be with us,” her mother said.
 
~*~*~
 
“Hello?”
 
“Hey Yash, it's me,” Kagome said into the phone she was holding.
 
“Hey babe. How is everything?”
 
“My grandfather died a couple hours ago. I have to stay here for another two weeks for the funeral.”
 
“I'm so sorry, Kagome. Do you need me to go over there?”
 
“I'd really like you to be here, but it's more of a family thing, you know? Besides you sounds tired enough as it is.”
 
“You're one to talk Kags. I just think I'm catching a cold or something. Nothing to worry about.”
 
“If you say so Yash. Once I get home I'm checking you out.”
 
“Awww, but babe, you do that every time you see me.”
 
“Very funny, Yash. I have to go; I'm getting really tired. I love you.”
 
“I love you too, Kagome. Get some sleep okay? If you sleep then you might dream of me.”
 
“Thanks for cheering me up Yash. Bye.” Kagome hung up the phone and walked up to her room. She went to her bed and flopped down. Then she slowly drifted off to sleep.
 
~Dream~
 
Kagome sat in the park with Yash, laughing, while having a picnic. Suddenly everything went dark and cloudy and Inuyasha stood in front of her.
 
“Inuyasha? What happened to Yash?” Kagome asked, noticing that everything else had disappeared.
 
“I've missed you Kagome. Have you missed me?” Inuyasha asked.
 
“You know I have. There hasn't been a day that I haven't missed you,” Kagome smiled.
 
“You've changed Kagome. What happened to my Kagome?” Inuyasha asked.
 
“I'm still here Inuyasha. I'm still the same,” she said.
 
“No, my Kagome wouldn't have betrayed me. You automatically forgot about me when you met someone new,” he growled.
 
“What was I supposed to do? I can't wait for you because you're dead! I'm not going to get hung over a dead person like you did with Kikyo. I know what it's like first hand to be second best and I don't want anyone else to have to feel that way,” she said.
 
“That boy, Yash, isn't my reincarnation. He is just some boy who Kouga saved off the street. Can you still love him knowing that he isn't me? That I could be out there waiting for you? I remember everything about our past and I've been waiting for you to find me,” he said.
 
“Why didn't you come find me? If you remember everything then why didn't you try to find me?” she asked.
 
“Because of that boy! What would have happened if I showed up on your doorstep when you were with him? Would you have just dumped him for me?” he asked.
 
“Of course not. I would never do a thing like that,” she said.
 
“If you want me to find you then all you have to do is ask,” he said.
 
“Please come find me. I want to see you again,” she called out as everything went dark again.
 
~End Dream~
 
Kagome opened her eyes when the sun shined through her eyelids. What a strange dream. She sat up and stretched her arms and back. She got out of bed and headed toward the bathroom to take a shower. Why had she asked Inuyasha to come find her again? She was happy with Yash even if he wasn't Inuyasha's reincarnation.
 
It's true that at first, she was only his friend because she thought he was Inuyasha's reincarnation, but now was totally different. She was happy and she knew if Inuyasha found her everything would be thrown into chaos.
 
`No matter what, I won't leave Yash. He's the one I love now,' Kagome thought as she turned on the shower and undressed herself.
 
She went into the shower and wet her hair. She really missed Yash a lot. Even though it had only been two weeks she wanted to see him again.
 
`God, I've got it bad. Who knew in just four and a half months that we would be this close?' Kagome wondered as she began to wash her hair and body.
 
“I wouldn't trade him for anyone though. I just wanted to see Inuyasha again so I can finally say goodbye once and for all. Nothing can happen between us,” Kagome assured herself as she got out and dried herself with a towel.
 
“I shouldn't even be worrying about this! Grandpa just died and I'm worrying about Inuyasha! Jeez, I'm a great granddaughter aren't I, Gramps?” she said, scolding herself as she wrapped the towel around herself and went into her room again.
 
She pulled out her suitcase and unzipped it. She pulled out some clothes that she could wear and put them on.
 
“Kagome! Breakfast is ready!” her mother called from down stairs.
 
“Okay, I'll be down in a second!” Kagome answered. She looked at herself in the mirror and could see Inuyasha staring back at her. She closed her eyes for a minute before looking again. This was normal for her. When Inuyasha died and she went back home she would see him everywhere, that is until she met Yash.
 
Why did Yash have the same name as her former love? Was it just a coincidence or were they really connected? If he really wasn't Inuyasha's reincarnation, would the real one show up on her doorstep like he said he would?
 
“I can't think about this right now! I have to concentrate on getting through the funeral,” she yet again scolded herself for worrying about herself when she should have been worried about how her family was feeling.
 
She ran down stairs and entered the kitchen. Her little brother Souta sat at the table picking at his food.
 
“Stop that Souta and eat your food,” their mother ordered.
 
“But how can I eat when Grandpa isn't here to tell us legends about the old days? It's just not right,” Souta said.
 
“Well dear, your grandfather wasn't the type to want us to mope around mourning his death. He would want us to celebrate his life and have us go on normally,” she smiled.
 
“That's right Souta. Now be strong because you're the man of the house now,” Kagome said ruffling Souta's hair.
 
~*~*~
 
The Higurashi's stood at the door accepting all the mournful things people said about their grandfather.
 
“Mom, I'm going to take a walk around the park,” Kagome said.
 
“Okay, do you want to go with your sister, Souta?” their mother asked.
 
“No I'll stay here with you. I don't want you to be alone,” Souta said.
 
Kagome smiled at her little brother and left. She walked down the cold sidewalk that wound around the park. A breeze snuck up on her, causing her scarf to fly away. She began to run after it when it landed. She got to it and bent down to pick it up when a foot stepped on the scarf.
 
“It's been a while, Kagome,” a deep voice drifted to Kagome's ears. She stood up and gasped.
 
“Oh my gosh! What are you doing here?” Kagome asked, hugging the stranger.
 
“I just thought that you would need some comfort or support or something,” he said.
 
“What are you really doing here, Yash?” she asked.
 
“I missed you. It's been three and a half weeks and I didn't want to wait any longer,” Yash smiled, bending down and picking up her scarf.
 
“Come on, I want you to meet my mom and little brother,” Kagome said grabbing his hand.
 
“Are you sure? I'm it's not the best timing you know,” he said.
 
“Don't worry about it. My family isn't the type to hang on things for very long anyway,” she said pulling him back to where the funeral was being held. They walked over to where Kagome's mother and brother were standing and Kagome pulled Yash to stand next to her.
 
“Mom, Souta, this is my boyfriend Yash. Yash this is my mother and little brother,” Kagome introduced.
 
“It's nice to meet you Yash, please call me Kimiko,” Kagome's mother smiled holding out her hand.
 
Yash accepted it and shook her hand. “Nice to meet you too Ms. Kimiko. I'm very sorry about your loss,” Yash said.
 
“It was his time to go, but thank you,” she said.
 
“Wow! You look just like Inuyasha, doesn't he mom?” Souta said eyeing Yash.
 
“The only thing that's different is the hair,” Kimiko agreed.
 
“Yeah, I get that a lot lately,” Yash said rubbing the back of his neck.
 
“I'm sorry. You probably don't like to be compared to Kagome's first love,” Kimiko said.
 
“It's fine, the first time that Kagome saw me she thought I was Inuyasha. I think she got past that though,” Yash smiled down at Kagome. Kagome nodded and rested her head against his arm.
 
“You two are really cute together! So is there a chance that I will get grandchildren in the future?” Kimiko asked.
 
Yash's eyes almost popped out of his head and Kagome just blushed. “No, mom, not any time soon if that's what you're thinking. We haven't even been together for five months yet!” Kagome exclaimed getting embarrassed.
 
“I didn't mean right now. I want you to finish college before you start a family,” Kimiko corrected.
 
“Come on Yash. They are going to have girl talk pretty soon,” Souta said dragging Yash away from the mother and daughter.
 
“I'm guessing that kind of talk goes on a lot between those two?” Yash asked Souta.
 
“Yeah, mom wants to have tons of grandchildren so at least one of them can take over the shrine,” Souta confirmed.
 
“Well that's understandable,” Yash mumbled.
 
“What do you plan on doing with my sister?” Souta asked.
 
“Aren't you a little young to be asking that?” Yash asked.
 
“I'm twelve and I have a right to now! You better not hurt her! She's been hurt bad enough,” Souta said.
 
“Don't worry kid. I don't plan on hurting her. Whether this relationship stays or goes it's going to be her choice because I'm not going to give up on it that easily,” Yash said.
 
“Good. Kagome is coming back over here, so just act cool,” Souta whispered.
 
Yash chuckled at the little boy's antics and turned to find Kagome walking toward him. She suddenly froze with a shocked look on her face. She looked at something behind him and he turned to see a white haired man standing there.
 
Something stirred deep inside Yash…Something was seriously wrong here…