InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Shades of Gray ❯ Lingering confessions ( Chapter 26 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

~<>~ Shades of Gray ~<>~
 
~<>~ Chapter 26 ~<>~ Lingering Confessions
 
 
 
 
Slipping into the small wooden chair at the tiny coffee house, Kagome brushed a few loose strands of hair behind her ear before addressing Sango. Brushing off a slightly embarrassed smile, Kagome picked up a menu. “I'm sorry,” she said after a moment, “I got held up at the dorm.”
 
Sango, whose eyebrow hadn't lowered since her friend breezed through the door, tilted her head to the right. “All right,” she said after a moment of awkwardness, “what gives? What the hell happened that has you all bent out of shape?”
 
Kagome blinked and lifted her eyes from the menu to stare at Sango. “Nothing…nothing at all.”
 
“Bullshit.”
 
Kagome sighed and finished picking out her lunch. Closing the menu and setting it at the edge of the table, she folded her hands and cleared her throat. “I just ran into an old friend and had to do some catching up.”
 
 
Sango eyed Kagome for a moment before taking a sip of her coffee. “That's what I thought we were supposed to be doing. Imagine my shock when I found myself sitting here for twenty minutes waiting for you.”
 
Kagome felt her cheeks flush in embarrassment. “I'm sorry…I would have called…”
 
Sango put down her small cup of coffee and sat back. “Are you going to tell me what really happened or is this in one of those `do not disclose' files? You seem to be collecting them like stickers lately, Kaggie. Are you ever going to tell me the truth to anything?”
 
Kagome closed her eyes and brought her right hand to massage the bridge of her nose. “Sango, to be honest, I really don't want to reminisce. Let's just have a nice lunch and talk about you, shall we?”
 
Rolling her eyes, they paused from discussion to divulge their orders to the waitress. As she walked away, Sango resumed the conversation. “How goes your job, Kag? Are you still working at the Regent Diner?”
 
Kagome shrugged half-heartedly. “Once in a while. I really only work when their in a pinch while I'm at school. It's mostly when I'm on vacation that I work.”
 
“Are you still doing crazy hours?”
 
Kagome shook her head. “No, not really. I just go in for nights normally and then get off by eleven.”
 
Silence ensued for a moment, both girls unsure of what else to speak of. The waitress dropped off a soda for Kagome and refilled Sango's coffee, giving them both a stiff smile.
 
As she walked away, Kagome changed the subject of the conversation. “So, you and Miroku? How long have you two been official?”
 
Sango blushed and looked down at her coffee. “Well, we've been seeing each other for about a week. We're still nothing solid or even official, but it's been nice.”
 
Kagome nodded once and then slowly chewed on her bottom lip. “Look, don't get me wrong,” she said after a moment, “I like Miroku and all, but…just be careful, he's a womanizer. I love him, he's awesome, but he is a bit of a scum bag.”
 
Sango leaned back in her chair and crossed her arms. “So is this coming from the girl who is somehow involved with a man she thinks will kill her? Because I really can't take your judgment for guys at face value, Kagome, being that apparently you've gotten yourself into one hell of a mess.”
 
Kagome snorted and nodded slowly, having no choice but to give Sango props for that assessment. As brazen as it may have been, it was directly on key. “Touché,” she said after a moment.
“I appreciate your concern, Kag, I do.”
 
Silence followed again, thicker then pea soup. It was the kind someone could drown in if they weren't careful.
 
“So…beyond for boy, what else is going on? How are your parents?”
 
Sango shrugged and stirred her coffee, watching the light brown substance form a tiny whirlpool in the center of her cup. “They're okay. Dad is in India for right now, I think, and mom is still in Japan. They weren't too fond of me returning here but they're dealing with it. How about yours? How is your mom?”
 
Kagome smiled and looked down at her soda, watching the tiny bubbles float to the surface and dissipate into the carbonated goodness. “Mom's good, she's really busy with work and Souta.” Kagome hesitated for a moment, her smile vanishing like those illusive bubbles, there one moment and completely gone the next; there wasn't a trace of its existence even in her eyes. “She's hanging in there, I guess. She's stressed out though, and I can't say I blame her. I wish I could just finish up with school and get home so I can really contribute to the income.”
 
“Doesn't your father pay child support for Souta though? I mean, I know your dad is a douche bag but hell, it's his kid too. The courts have to have some of his cash coming in for help, right?”
 
Kagome shook her head once, her mood changing rapidly. Her shoulders became terse and she began to squirm in her chair. Just the subject of her father upset her; not to mention the shit treatment that he gave her mother. Any talk of her father normally had her blood pressure off the chart within minutes. “No, he doesn't pay anything for Souta and no, I really don't want to discuss it.”
 
Sango's eyes widened an inch at Kagome's abrasive tone. “I'm sorry,” she said immediately, “I know that your father pisses you off, but damn, I didn't know that he could do that to you.” Nodding at Kagome's balled fist, Sango leveled her a hard stare. “Kagome, that's not healthy. You need to talk to someone if he really makes you this angry.”
 
“He treats my mother like scum, Sango. He treats her like a god damned disease. He knows the whole story, he knows the truth, but she's the one who gets the shit end of the stick.”
Sango blinked and tilted her head in confusion. “What story?”
 
Kagome shook herself out of her rant. More secrets, she noted to herself dryly, that she had never clued anyone in on. “I really don't want to get into it right now, Sango. One of these days though, I promise I will.”
 
Sango put both her hands on the table and leaned closer to Kagome. “Kag, was your mom raped or something? I know, I know you don't want to talk about it, but seriously, if its something like that, then fuck, you're father should be in jail for abandoning her, not living some high life while she's stuck cleaning up the mess.”
 
Kagome suddenly felt drained. From the whole fiasco with InuYasha and Bankotsu to the mental strain of the knowledge that what the night would bring, Kagome was hardly ready to discuss something like this. “No, Sango, my mom wasn't raped. She never cheated on my father, and she's nothing like what he's made her out to seem. He doesn't pay child support though because she won't let a paternity test be done on Souta. Just…can we please move onto another conversation?”
 
Sango shook her head, her eyes widening. She ignored her friend's request and continued pushing the subject. “I never understood this, Kagome. I always wanted to ask you about it but I never got the chance. Why won't she? Your father could be paying all of her bills, but instead, she's killing herself working all the time. Why won't she let…”
 
Kagome slammed one hand down on the table, fire just about blazing from her chocolate orbs. “She just won't, okay? Jesus, Sango, when I say let it go, I mean it! Just forget it!”
 
Sango sat back in her chair, obviously offset by her friend's outburst. After the shock slid from her face, her expression grew sour. “You know, Kagome,” she said after a moment, bitterness denoting her tone, “I've always been open with you, I've always told you everything. But you're holding so many secrets nowadays, it seems like I don't even know you anymore.”
 
Kagome ran one hand over her eyes, shaking her head slowly. “I'm sorry Sango, I'm just really stressed out.”
 
“So let me help, Kagome. There is so much going on right now for you. I mean, you're obviously in trouble, your stressed about your family and some secret you can't tell about them, and now your falling in love with your…”
 
Kagome held up a hand, stopping Sango from continuing. “Stop, Sango, don't say it. I really don't need to hear a laundry list of my problems right now. I really just want to hear about you and how you're doing.”
 
Grabbing her purse, Sango slowly stood up. “You know, Kaggie, I came out to see how you're doing as well, but it seems that you just don't trust me. If this is how you're going to be, then I really don't think I want to be a part of this. Call me later, when you decide to become the girl you used to be.”
 
Kagome opened her mouth a few times, watching Sango slip into her coat and turn for the door. It was all going to pour out, she realized as tears formed in her eyes. Everything was coming out, and there was nothing she could do to stop it. It had been on her shoulders for so long and there had been so much lost and now all the shit with Bankotsu and InuYasha, Kagome couldn't breathe. Feeling her chest constrict, she called out to Sango. “Please, San, don't go. I'm sorry, you just don't get it. There's so much and I don't even know where to start.”
 
Sango turned and glanced down at Kagome, hurt swelling through her mocha orbs. “Just try telling the truth for once, Kagome.”
 
Kagome nodded once and glanced very quickly around the room, checking for familiar faces. It was a shame that she couldn't see five tables back to the couple that was sitting there, listening to whatever could be discerned of their conversation. After missing the duo completely, she turned back to Sango and lowered her voice. “The truth, Sango? How about we start with Souta not being my mom's son?”
 
Sango's head whipped around at her friend's words, the rest of her body following sluggishly behind. Dropping quickly into her chair, she leaned forward and began a hysterical rant in the lowest decibel she could manage. “How is that possible? What are you saying Kagome? What do you mean that Souta isn't your mom's son?”
 
Kagome licked her lips, feeling as if a thousand pounds of pressure had just been lifted from her chest. Though the explanation was a very long and tedious process, to be able to confide in a friend was well worth it. “It's really a long story, Sango, and it's not one that is ever to be retold. Not to anyone, do you hear me?”
 
Sango nodded dumbly.
 
“This shit hit the fan back when I was fourteen and we went out to Japan, do you remember that?”
 
Sango nodded gravely. “Of course I do. It was the first time I got to see you since I moved with my mom to Japan. I was so bumed that you couldn't stay with us. You're parents wanted to stay with that…other…family in Tokyo, I remember that. You begged to stay with me in Osaka.”
 
Kagome closed her eyes and wished wistfully that she had staid with Sango instead. Life would have been completely different if she had simply stuck to her guns about staying with her friend. “The people my dad wanted to stay with were business associates with my uncle and were considering opening a trade negotiation with my father's company. My father didn't know them, but uncle did so it was going to be okay. It's to bad, though, that Kikyo's mom got sick and they couldn't go with us.”
 
Nodding, Sango followed the conversation. “I remember that. I was really glad that Kikyo wasn't with you. If she had been, I probably wouldn't have gotten to see you.”
 
Kagome raised an eyebrow. Even if it had been Kikyo with them, Kagome was nearly sure the present would be half as dreadful as it was. “Well, they didn't and it was just us with these strangers. Dad demanded for us to stay with them because he thought he could butter them up and secure a new source of income for his business. In the long run, it worked out well for him. We stayed with them for the whole summer and life got…complicated. They had a son who was seventeen that I followed everywhere. It didn't take more then three weeks for this kid to become my hero.
 
“He was everything that resembled perfect to me, Sango. He was graceful, refined, and had a smile that could light up a room. I was an idiot, I was fourteen, and I was highly naive. The boy, Kagawaki, was exactly the opposite.” Shuddering once, Kagome forced herself to skip the grueling parts of the conversation that killed parts of her every time she thought of it. “I fell for him and he convinced me to do things to him and with him that no kid my age should have been involved with. He called me his girlfriend when we were together, but looking back, he was just doing it so that I would continue to do as he told me. He worked me like a pro, learning everything that made me tick and completely turned me to do his will.”
 
Silence lingered for a long time at the table as both girls stared into the center of the opaque surface. Sango grappled with the disclosed knowledge with a tightened jaw. How had she never heard of this before? She had always thought Kagome had told her everything. The entire previous six years had been nothing but a long strung together web of lies. It was as if she had never known the girl before her.
 
“He convinced me to have sex with him without protection,” Kagome offered reluctantly. “I had no idea what a condom was and obviously had no qualms about doing it without one. He said it would be fine and he'd pull out.” Letting her words drift off, she choked down the tears she could feel raising in her eyes. Deliberately ignoring the looks of horror that she was getting from Sango, she continued the one sided conversation, leaving out many important details. It was too painful to tell the whole truth, it was too much to relive. Instead, she told the abridged version.
 
“It took three months for me to realize that anything was wrong. I had just started having my period a few months before all of this and didn't really think much of it when I was late. I knew something was wrong though when I started throwing up all the time and knowing that I couldn't eat some foods I used to love without wanting to vomit. Mom had me take a test and then took me to the doctor. By time we realized I was pregnant….” Closing her eyes, she struggled to keep calm. She couldn't cry anymore, the tears and the heartache just hurt too much to keep reliving.
 
“My father demanded that I get an abortion. No clinic would do it though, being how far along I was, and my mother told him time and again she refused to let me do that. She came up with the plan, actually. She decided to move me to the country before I started to show so that my reputation and life wouldn't be ruined. It was her thought to claim the baby as her own. My father, though, refused to do it. He said that I was the whore who got myself knocked up and I would be the fourteen-year-old slut to have the baby. I told them that I would take responsibility for it, it was my mistake and I would deal but my mom refused. She said she didn't care what Dad did, and that we were carrying out this plan. He said he refused but the more he thought about it, the more he feared what having a pregnant daughter would do to his reputation. So he turned on my mother. When she started telling everyone she was pregnant, he started telling everyone she cheated on him. He filed for a divorce right before we left for the country and hasn't been back once. Apparently my mom agreed with him to never file for child support for Souta and he would never tell anyone the truth. She took responsibility for the baby and I got off with a hard lesson in real life.”
 
Putting her head in her hands, Kagome fought down the urge to vomit. Tears leaked from the corners of her eyes as she was thrust back into a time when life seemed so bleak that suicide had been a reoccurring thought day in and out. “I couldn't believe my mom just stepped up to that responsibility. She never punished me for it; she never hated me for it. I delivered the baby by a midwife and my mom then took it to the hospital a day later and said it was hers. There were a few questions at the hospital but after some money came into play, they let it slide. My mom had a new son and I had a hole in my heart that has not and will never heal.”
 
Sango reached across the table and clasped Kagome's hands in hers. “Honey, I am so sorry. I…I had no clue.” Catching Kagome's eye, it didn't shock the younger of the two to see tears in her long time friend's eyes as well. “Kagome, why didn't you ever tell me?”
 
“Because if anyone found out, it would have ruined everything my mom gave up for me. My mom ruined her life for this lie, so the most I can do is protect it, yes? I mean, I don't care how people would react if they knew Souta was my child, but I don't want my mom to have lost everything she did in vain.”
 
“I wouldn't have told.” Seeing Kagome's tears stream down her face quicker, Sango changed her conversation. “It's okay Kagome, I can't believe you've been carrying that around on your shoulders for so long. You never told anyone?”
 
Kagome closed her eyes and tried to calm down. She felt as if she was going to vomit. “No, I made the mistake to confide in one other person.” And that was only a small part of what he was holding over her head. Bankotsu. He knew this plus the full story. He knew the dark truth that Kagome still forced herself to forget at night. This stress, this secret, was what drove Kagome to need to feel pain, to need to feel tortured. She had always tortured herself internally for the pain she caused her mother, but to feel it externally somehow made it hurt less. The more Bankotsu controlled her and dominated her, the more she felt as if she was getting what she deserved. But he had threatened once to expose her, to tell the world the truth. Though it wasn't an awful secret that she had bottled up, it was one that could damage her entire family. Her mother's selfless sacrifice would be in vain and her father's reputation would be damaged beyond repair. And Souta…that poor boy would be thrust into a world of identity crisis. No one deserved to suffer more for her mistake, and she wouldn't allow them to.
 
Sango eyed Kagome for a moment and then pointed to one of Kagome's multitude of bruises. “So is the person you confided in the same asshole who gave you those bruises? Is that why you can't turn him into the police? Because if that's the reason you're protecting him, Kagome, then we have some seriously things to talk about.”
 
“Yes and no, Sango. Yes, it's the same person and no, we have nothing to talk about. I'm not protecting him, Sango, I'm protecting myself and my family. I don't want my mother to know what I've been involved in. She thinks that I'm this celibate angel that learned her lesson of never spreading her legs for men. She would be devastated if she found out exactly what I have been doing. He has to much on me to give her, to much on me to just hand over. I'm taking extremes, Sango. Pictures…videos.” Kagome bit her lip and trailed off. He had threatened to expose her real nature to her mother time and time again.
 
Reaching into her backpack, Kagome pulled out a manila sealed envelope. Handing it to Sango, she held onto the one end even after Sango reached for it. “Listen to me, Sango. This is serious. I can't explain what's going to happen, but I need you to hold onto this for me. It's sealed, and you cannot open it! I mailed it to myself during this week, so it's time dated and perfectly sealed.” Seeing the concern growing in Sango's eyes, Kagome hastened to the clause. “If something happens to me, or if I disappear, I want you to take this to the police. It has a lot of stuff in it that can be backed up by journals in my bedroom at home and notes that are under my mattress. I can't explain it…”
 
Sango let go of the envelope and held both hands up. “What the hell is going on, Kagome? What is going to happen to you? What are you saying?”
 
“I'm in some trouble, Sango, I've explained that to you. I think I'm okay now, though, I think I got this problem under control. I have my ducks in a line but I need some insurance. You're going to be that policy for me. I just need to you take this home and hide it somewhere no one would ever look for it.”
Sango stared at the envelope in trepidation and then slowly back to Kagome. “Kagome, please, talk to me. I'm not taking anything until you tell me what the hell is going on. You could tell me about Souta, why can't you tell me about this?”
 
“To many people have already been dragged into this Sango. You're the only one I can trust with this envelope, and I know you won't let me down. If something happens, please take it to the Monmouth University Police. They have a record started for me. I've already spoken with them about a few things. Look, all I can say is that you can't tell anyone about this; not Miroku, not InuYasha, no one. They will want you to open it and if you open it, it will completely compromise everything. The idiot I'm playing these games with thinks I'm a fool. I'm not, I'm putting together my A-game, but I need you to help me run it. Just hold onto this, okay?”
 
Sango hesitantly took the envelope from Kagome's hands, her fingers trembling the entire time. “Why can't I tell anyone about this?”
 
“Just trust me, okay?”
 
“Says the girl who seems to be thinking she live to see what happens because of this. Kagome, is this guy really that bad?”
 
Kagome hesitated on her answer, thinking back to the way that InuYasha thrashed Bankotsu about the corridor with little problem. “No, but he has too much political power behind him.
“Does anyone else know about this?”
 
“There's a girl who I'm friends with who goes to school here, and I'm not sure how much she knows, but she knows a lot. Her names Rin and she works downstairs in my building. If you need help, go to her. She has a lot of support behind her as well.”
 
“Look, I know that you don't want more people dragged into this, but what about InuYasha? Something makes me think he'll help you after everything the two of you have been…”
 
Kagome cleared her throat loudly and shot Sango a glower. “He already inserted himself into this drama unknowingly. I can't tell you more, but now he's in a lot of danger as well. Not the same type as me, however; what he got himself involved in could destroy any chance at a career in the future. I need to get all of us out of the trouble that I've put us in. I can do that as long as you promise not to let anything happen to that.”
 
Sango nodded once, obviously displeased with the conversation. “Kagome, what about yourself? All I've heard is that you're doing this for you mom and for InuYasha and for anyone else you've gotten into the mess, but nothing about for yourself. Don't you care what happens to you?”
 
Kagome stared blankly at Sango for a moment before sighing. “I'm scared to death, Sango. I'm so scared that I don't know what to do. But…as much as I'm worried, I know that I messed up other people as well. I'm scared about what's going to happen, yes, but I really screwed other people in this. So if I have to take a few blows for that mistake, then so be it.”
 
Sango snorted once and finished her cup of coffee. “I'm pretty sure no one would ever ask you to commit suicide for their life. I know InuYasha wouldn't.”
 
Kagome smiled softly and sipped her soda. “I know he wouldn't, but I couldn't live with myself if I messed up any of my friend's lives. I saw what my mom went through for me; I can't do that to someone else. It's my turn to take the fall.”
 
“So what are you going to do?”
 
“I'm going to take a drive tonight and try to talk things out rationally.”
 
“And if that doesn't work?”
 
Kagome remained silent for a long moment before sighing heavily. “I'll think of something.”
 
As the waitress made a grand reappearance with their food, Sango couldn't help but feel as though she needed to handcuff Kagome to her side. What her friend was talking about doing was suicidal. Sango knew Kagome, though, and she knew that there was nothing more she could do to talk her friend out of this. Kagome's mind was a fortress of solitude and impenetrable at that. There was nothing more that Sango could say that Kagome would listen to. But willing to let her long time friend walk into a trap that could get her killed…. Sango could never live with herself if something happened to Kagome and she did nothing to stop it. She had talk to someone.
 
`She said InuYasha is involved. Maybe I can talk to him. If not him, then I'll find that Naraku guy. I'll find someone who can help you, Kagome, so help me.'
 
Kagome watched Sango digest all of the information with a grimace. Sango was miserable with all of this, and Kagome couldn't blame her. This was a shit position that she was shoving Sango into. Today was supposed to be nice, today was supposed to be a girl's day to discuss Sango's new boy toy and Kagome's growing obsession. It wasn't supposed to be like this. None of this was ever supposed to go this awry.
 
Five tables back, InuYasha was clenching the plastic cup in his hand so hard, he could feel the plastic beginning to crack. How stupid was Kagome to think that she had to protect him? While he appreciated the gesture, he sure as hell didn't need a girl to protect him. If anything, he wanted to protect her, he needed to protect her. She was not going in to face Oberon on her own. He'd follow her to the city if he had to, he'd make sure that Bankotsu didn't lay a hand on her.
 
“Can you hear anything their saying?”
 
InuYasha glanced up at his girlfriend and forced a smile to his face. The entire time she had been chewing away on bread and salad and hadn't really heard a word that was being discussed. She had heard enough, however, to know that Kagome's father was hiding something and that Kagome's life was in danger. InuYasha, however, had heard it all. Kagome had suffered in life, she had suffered more then he knew. He remembered when Kagome returned to school from being in the country. He remembered how excited Kikyo was about her cousin coming back and also remembered all of the jabs that Kikyo took at Kagome's mother. She had called her a whore; she had called her a cheater. Kikyo had never known the truth and neither had he. Kagome had bared a cross that no teenager should ever have to. There was more to it, InuYasha could tell by the tone of her voice, but he knew that Sango wasn't about to press her for information. He would find out one day.
 
InuYasha had heard most of the conversation. His brain was still processing how much of a scumbag Kagome's father truly was and how much the girl had been suffering in front of him all these years. His fingers were tapping the table nervously, wondering what was going to be said next. His forehead was coated in a fine sweat, wondering if this was really a bad idea in the long run. All the times that Sango started to mention anything about his and Kagome's relationship, InuYasha had rushed Kikyo into conversation, fearing that they would let the ball slip. If Kikyo had found out about him and Kagome, she would undoubtedly explode. Judging by the lack-there-of an explosion proportionate to Mt. Saint Helen's, he was assuming she still knew nothing.
 
“So what is the plan?”
 
InuYasha quickly glanced up to find Kikyo staring at him in curiosity. “Excuse me?”
 
“The plan; you have to have one, don't you? We have to do something to stop Kagome from going to see this asshole.”
 
InuYasha scratched his head and lowered his voice. “What makes you think…”
 
“Oh get off it. I know my cousin, InuYasha; I know what she's planning. She thinks she's going to save the world by sacrificing herself. I just…” Kikyo sighed heavily and shook her head slowly, “I can't believe Bankotsu would do this to her.”
 
InuYasha stared agape for a long period of time, completely bewildered at how to respond to Kikyo's allegation. “You think…she'll what?”
 
Kikyo seemed slightly annoyed at having to recant her hypothesis. “She's going to go to Bankotsu, probably tonight, and if he's really the one who hurt her so much before, he'll probably end up killing her. I mean, I can't imagine Bankotsu being someone who could do this to her. He loved her, they worked so well together, and then one day it all just fell apart. I should have seen past the lies, I should have known that they were still seeing each other. Why,” looking at InuYasha, she put a hand over his and shook her head, “why would anyone let someone do that to them?”
 
InuYasha chose his words carefully. He couldn't begin to describe to her the realm of the dom/sub relationships. He couldn't explain why he got off and inflicting pain and taking control any more then he could describe why Kagome enjoyed receiving it. A part of their life gone wrong, a part of their soul calling out to be punished, that was what had lead them to the dark world. It wasn't always like that, a lot of people just got off on the control bit, him and Kagome however were kindred spirits lost in a world in which they didn't belong. “I…don't know, Kikyo. If I could explain it, I would.”
 
Kikyo stared at InuYasha for a moment before glancing back to her cousin. “So what now? What do we do? I never saw a side of Bankotsu like I did today. After seeing him like that though…I…I can see him doing that to her, I can see him turning into some monster that would…that would…” cutting off her rant, she shook her head and stared on ahead miserable.
 
With a sigh, InuYasha patted his estranged girlfriend's hands. “We don't do anything. I'll follow her to the city tonight, and take it from there.”
 
Kikyo's expression hardly changed as she turned to stare back at InuYasha. “How do you know she's going to the city?”
 
InuYasha blinked and swallowed his tongue. Had he just seriously slipped up? “She said it,” he muttered while trying to replay the entire conversation. Had Kikyo really heard everything? “She said she was going up to New York to talk it out with Bankotsu.”
Kikyo nodded slowly, a sliver of a ditzy smile flashing across her face before being replaced by a very undecipherable glower. “Oh, I must have missed that part.”
InuYasha just stared. Swallowing thickly, he watched as Sango and Kagome ate their lunch in silence. He would follow her to the city as Sha and then what? He couldn't step back into the club without alerting Oberon and starting a whole other world of trouble. He couldn't walk in there as himself and make it past the bouncer, and even if he did, he wouldn't be able to explain his knowledge of the establishment to Kagome in logical sense.
 
`She doesn't have to do this,' he thought with a glower, `maybe I can talk her out of it.' he would need back up, he thought with a growing sense of unease. He would need to head her off at the club, but following anyone through New York City was tricky. He would need to bring someone who could get into the club and make sure she wasn't inside when they arrived and he could scout the outside. And he knew just the right person for the job.
 
Closing his eye with a heavy sigh, he knew the night was going to be interesting.
 
“So, what is the plan?”
 
InuYasha glanced up and smiled at Kikyo. “I got it covered, don't worry. He won't hurt Kagome again.”
 
Kikyo squirmed in her seat. “Do you think I should call my father?”
 
InuYasha shook his head. “No, that would be like lighting a match at a cow's ass. I'll handle this; I need you to stay in the room tonight. If Kagome comes back at any point, you need to call me. I'm going to follow her as much as I can.”
 
Kikyo nodded with a slight frown. “Can you guarantee he won't touch her?”
 
InuYasha's frown darkened. “I wish I could.” Looking back towards Kagome, he felt his expression melt into worry. “God I wish I could.”
 
The air grew stagnant as Kikyo stared at InuYasha who stared at Kagome. There was so much magnetism in the room it was making them all ill. Emotions were drowning them all and bleeding together to make one hell of a calamity. InuYasha was angry and worried, love struck and concerned. Kikyo was concerned and irritated at her inability to help further. There was also something in her gut that was forming a wrenching pain as she watched InuYasha stare at Kagome. It was something in his eyes, something she couldn't understand. He never looked at her that way.
 
A loud buzzing noise forced the two back to reality as InuYasha's phone began to slide nosily across the table. InuYasha snatched it before creating to much of a scene and glanced at the caller ID. With a slight gasp, he glanced up at Kikyo and muttered. “I have to take this. I'll be right back.”
 
Kikyo nodded half-heartedly, her eyes now glued on her cousin. What was she missing?
 
Stepping out the entrance to the restaurant, InuYasha squished himself between two cars incase Kagome and Sango decided to leave the premises. Flipping open his device, he hesitated only a moment. “Hello?”
 
“You called?”
 
InuYasha felt his Adam's apple expand as he swallowed down what felt like nails. “Yeah, I…umm…I just…that is….”
 
“Spit it out, Kid, I ain't got all day.”
 
“I haven't talked to you in a while, I thought…”
 
There was a pause that stopped him dead from speaking. A short grunt of a sigh was his indicator that he had caught on. “Whatcha' do?”
 
The gruffness and abrasiveness of the question caught InuYasha off guard. Slightly offended, InuYasha blinked his eyes. “I haven't done anything.”
“Horseshit, you did something. I ain't heard you since you stopped pissing in a diaper. You don't just come out of nowhere and call. You fucked up and you need some help. I'm down with that, but fuck, don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. What do you need?”
 
InuYasha couldn't help the smirk that grew on his face. No wonder why Sesshoumaru hated talking to their older brother. His cold and callous ways rubbed against Sesshoumaru and daddy's way of life in such a way that the friction was electric. “I got a small problem that's mine, and a problem that's yours.” How could he even begin to tell him about Rin?
 
“Somehow I find that hard to believe.”
 
InuYasha rubbed his face and shook his head. Maybe just letting him stumble onto the scene would be the best approach. “Yeah, I know. I ain't gonna explain it right now either. How long would it take for you to get to Jersey?”
 
There was a long pause and something that sounded like the clicking of a lighter. The loud exhale that followed summarized his assessment. “That ain't a day trip for me, little buddy. If I'm coming to Jersey, it better be damned well worth it.”
 
“I think it will be in the long run. I don't want to get into the details now, but I got a problem with a guy.”
 
There was a very awkward silence that seemed to last forever. “When you say you got a problem with a guy, you mean you pissed on some other dog's territory or you take in the ass and need advice? Cause I ain't against you being gay and all, I just don't have no experience with that, so I ain't exactly the guy to take it to.”
 
“Will you please stop talking now?” InuYasha cringed at the crassness of his brother's words. He forgot how straight forward this SOB could really be. “A bastard who's been a threat to the family business is now beating on one of my female friend's and I fucked him up. He's got to much power and is threatening with lawsuits.”
 
“What, you wan' me to kill him or something? Yashie, I stopped doing the mercenary routine when the death penalty became legal. I ain't killed no one for fun in over a century now.”
 
“No, but I'm pretty sure that after three centuries, you've figured out ways to be quite persuasive.”
 
“You're talking to the wrong Taisho for that shit, little buddy. You want something like that done, ask dear ole' Fluffy to stop licking his girl parts and grow a pair for you.”
 
“'Jiro, for once in my life, I'm asking you to help me.”
 
There was another long drag on the other end of the phone followed by a very long-lived sigh. “You know, that's the damn thing I hate about family. I knew you were gonna ask me to come home, you little shit, an' I can't say no to you. If it were your brother, I'd tell him to bend it around and cram it up his ass, but you…you ain't pissed me off yet.”
 
InuYasha's mouth curved up into a smirk. It was amazing that after all the places Kagejiro had lived and all the cultures he had been a part of, it was the New York accent that managed to stay with him. Even under the unnerving raspy tone of his voice, that thick accent could still be discerned. What threw InuYasha was that he was quite sure `Jiro had never lived in New York City for more then five years. “What can I say, I miss my brother. You'll thank me by the end of this also. I got something here for you also.”
 
“It better be equivalent to a god damned trip halfway around the world.”
 
“You could say that,” InuYasha muttered, wondering just how this tactless son of a bitch ended up with Rin, of all people, let alone worked in an office environment for more than two days.
 
“This is why I already booked a flight. I'm taking a red eye out of here tonight. I'm telling you man, the piece of ass I'm leaving here for you…”
 
“Don't worry, `Jiro, there's plenty of men in the Village. I'm sure you'll find someone else.”
 
InuYasha could feel his brother's glower through the phone. He was almost sure that his alienated relative was pointing a gun at the phone by this point, knowing the man's temper and his quick draw reflexes. Little did he know how accurate his assessment was.
 
Halfway around the world in the southern-most tip of South Africa, a silver haired youkai stood shirtless on his veranda, bathed in the moonlight of a star filled sky. His muscular physique was only outdone by the amount of tribal tattoos that wrapped around his biceps. His short spiked silver hair stood on end; the tips dyed an onyx black. The golden iris's stared in annoyance at the tiny black phone that resided in his left hand, a silver gun cocked backwards was aimed down at the infernal device, sitting in his right hand with a comfort level of a trained killer. After a moment, he swung the gun around one finger and let it dangle from the digit while brining the phone back to his ear. “One more word like that, shit brick, and I'll cancel this little family reunion.”
 
InuYasha craned his neck back and grimaced. “Still can't take a joke I see.”
 
“Fuck you. Listen up, I'm leaving here tonight, I'll be in by midnight tomorrow.”
 
InuYasha grimaced. If Kagome was going up to the city tonight, then tomorrow could be to late. “No sooner, ey?”
 
Annoyance colored his words that followed. “What, you wan' me to put on a god damned red cape and fly there? I ain't no fuckin' superman.”
 
“No, but even Batman has his own doodad's. You don't even have your own jet after how many years of life?”
 
Kagejiro felt his eyebrow twitch as he smote his cigarette against the railing of his balcony. “Fuck you, kid. Just be ready tomorrow. I have no want to see the extended family while I'm there. You're enough to handle without seeing stick-up-his-ass and the old man.”
 
InuYasha blinked as the phone disconnected. “Wow, he's just as moody as ever,” he said to no one while shaking his head. It was weird, how the two of them had just fallen into the role of being able to throw blind jabs. He hadn't seen the man in years and hadn't had a real conversation with him in just about the same amount of time. Kagejiro might have been off by four or five years from when they had originally seen each other last, but he wasn't far from the truth. There was something there, though, something he felt when talking to his older brother that he never had with Sesshoumaru. With a shrug, he pocketed the phone and reentered the lounge. His brother was going to be flying in by tomorrow. That meant that he had to put off any dealings with Bankotsu until then. Distracting Kagome seemed to be a priority, but with Kikyo at the restaurant and Sango on her wing, his types of distractions wouldn't work. He would need to lure her away from the club before she had a chance to go in.
 
Walking back to the table, he grabbed his coat. “Kik,” he muttered while sliding into the booth, “I got to go. I want you to hang around and call me when her and Sango leave the building. I'm going to go grab some back up and get my plan rolling. It might take a while so if anything, follow Kagome back to the dorm and pretend to have some girl problem. I'll call you when I don't need you to detain her anymore, got me?”
 
Kikyo stared at him in confusion. “Sure…but…what's your plan?”
 
InuYasha inhaled slowly, attempting to come up with a logical excuse as to how he knew where Kagome was going. “I can't explain it, really. Let's just say that I have someone on the inside getting me the information as to where Bankotsu would probably be meeting up with Kagome, and I'm sending out scouts to keep the area secure.”
 
Kikyo crossed her arms slowly, her eyes darkening a hue. “Wouldn't it just be easier to catch her in my room and tie her up? She can't go anywhere if she bound and gagged.”
 
Was it awful that even in the midst of this crisis, the thought of tying Kagome up gave him a hard on? “But then she'd hate us. We need to interfere to a point where she doesn't know that we are interfering. That means you have to make your plight believable. I'll call you later. I'm leaving you the car.”
 
“How are you getting home then,” Kikyo asked in confusion, still pondering over how to distract Kagome.
 
“I think I'm in the mood for a run.”
 
Standing up quickly, InuYasha darted out the front door of the restaurant. He had to get to Miroku and convince him to go to the city and still have enough time to figure out a plan. Glancing at his watch, he knew that his time was short. Walking behind the building, he slid his concealment ring from his finger and balled up his coat under his arm. It had been forever since he had actually stretched his legs, and the freedom was a very welcome diversion.
 
Kikyo twirled the car key around her finger for a moment, considering just how to distract her cousin when a body slid into InuYasha's empty chair. Nearly leaping out of her seat, Kikyo pressed a hand to her chest and stared at the black haired individual.
 
“My god, you scared the hell out of me.” Licking her lips, her comfort level seemed to drop significantly as she began to squirm. “What do you want?” She snapped. “I told you that we were over.”
“My, my, Kikyo,” the man cooed as he reached across the table to twirl a strand of her free flowing black tresses around his finger, “where are your manners? You sound that like waste of life that you're dating. I thought I had refined you better than that.”
 
Kikyo yanked her head backwards, pulling her hair forcibly from the man's fingers. Grimacing in pain, she pushed all her hair behind her ears. “Why are you here? How did you know I'd be here?” Leaning across the table, she hissed accusingly, “Are you following me?”
 
The man's smile was malicious. “Not you, my pet. Sadly, my world doesn't revolve around you like yours does that scum. I hope you know he's cheating on you.”
 
Kikyo blanched slightly and sat a little taller in her seat. “That's a lie, InuYasha wouldn't.”
 
“Wouldn't he? Oh, my poor Kikyo. Didn't you see the way he was staring at Kagome? Didn't you see that wanton look of desire in his eyes? Tell me, Kikyo; how long has it been since he has stared at you like that? How long has it been since he's kissed you as he has kissed her?”
 
“He hasn't…” Kikyo checked her temper, taking a moment to calm herself down. Staring into the man's crimson eyes, she bit back, “He's not cheating on me. Kagome wouldn't be with him anyway. That's ridiculous to even think of. They hate each other.”
 
“Right,” the red-eyed stranger responded. “Because it makes sense that he attacked Kagome's abuser with such vigor being that he hates her so much.”
 
The sarcasm in his tone dripped like acid from his words. Kikyo couldn't help but wince. “I told you I wanted you gone,” she whispered hotly.
 
“And I told you that I'll be gone when I'm done with you. I'm not finished yet, my dear. There are still a few more acts to this play.”
 
“This isn't a play, you asshole. This is real life.”
 
The man cackled cruelly and quoted; “'All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players; they have their exits and their entrances, and one man in his time plays many parts.*' Your man is but our tragic hero.”
 
Kikyo pushed her chair back slowly. “Look, I don't know what your hang up is, but it's over, I've told you that. Stop talking to me, stop following me, and if you call me again like you did yesterday, I swear to God I'll file a restraining order. Get a life you scummer.”
 
Standing up from the table, Kikyo breezed past the intruder and walked to the waitress. Handing her the money that InuYasha had left her to pay their bill, she walked from the premises, well aware that she was being followed. Reaching the car, she hesitated when seeing something shoved into the windshield wipers of her convertible. Glancing back at the man who seemed all to pleased with himself, she tentatively reached for the photo.
 
Glancing at the black and white enlarged negative, she gasped and spun around with a hell fire blazing from her aura. “Who the hell do you think you are?”
 
“The man who's blackmailing you, of course.”
 
Balling the picture up in her fist, Kikyo chucked it at him. “I will not play these games. I am no one for you to fuck with, buddy. My father can ruin you!”
 
“Don't worry, sweet heart, your boyfriend's father already saw to that!” The sheer rancor of his tone sent chills down Kikyo's back as he swept towards her. “I told you once this isn't about you. I am taking care to see that you aren't bulldozed in this little experiment, but I hold no promises.”
 
“You can't show him these,” Kikyo said after a moment, tears beginning to form in her eyes. “You can't! You told me you'd delete these! Why…” Kikyo drew back to the car, her eyes widened at the man before her. “Why are you doing this?”
 
“Because I can.” The man turned from Kikyo and began walking away. “He already has a copy of these, I hope you know.”
 
Kikyo stood by the car speechless as she watched the man she had once dared to sleep with walk around the side of the building. Turning back to the car, she was nearly sure she was going to be sick. How could he do this to her? What was she going to say to InuYasha? Would he actually give him the photos? How had her judgment been so awful?
 
Getting into the car, Kikyo found that she really had something to detail her cousin with now. Tears flooded her eyes as she put the car into gear and drove back towards the school, unsure of what was to come. It seemed that her cousin wasn't the only person with a serious problem on her hands.
 
 
XX*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*XX*
 
So who thought I'd update that quickly? Wow…being sick on a couch for three days gives you more time then you know what to do with. Therefore, ta-daa, look, I updated twice in a week! Woot!!!
 
Can't promise the next one will be as quick but hey, it will come. So, we covered a lot here. All the revelations, all the secrets. You guys got the 411 on Kagome and the needed change of the Higurashi family, and maybe some better insight as to why Kagome can't just tell Bank to fuck off. You got a taste of my lovely `Jiro in the making and …dum-dum-dummmm…Kikyo's lover makes his appearance. Seems like Kagome's not the only one out there with the winners. >.< enjoy!!!
 
*-Quoted from: Shakespeare's `As You Like it' 2.7.139-141)
 
 
XX*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X**X*X
 
So on to the answers I can provide, and forgive me, I have a lot to catch up on…
 
 
<mm.org>
 
Langus: I'm glad you enjoy the cafeteria scenes. They are by far, the easiest of anything to write with this story. It's just a time when they can cut loose and say anything, you know? MARS, ey? Never heard of it. That's great though the way you describe it. I may just have to look into that. I'm glad that you were shocked to find Bankotsu at the door. I tried to write that off as best as I could. Is it bad that my heart stopped when I considered putting him at the door? That's when you know it's good. LMAO.
 
Darksaintofchaos: thanks! I'm glad to be back. I actually really missed all of you guys as well. ^_^ yeah, Bank had it coming to him, and don't worry, he'll get more of it later. >.<
 
Xfalsetruth06X- Thanks! I try. ^__^
Oyuki: aren't there just so many questions? Now I'm hoping everyone understands a bit more as to why she feels that she needs to meet him, beyond keeping InuYasha safe. Yeah, she is a bit crazy, but don't worry, she has a bit of luck on her side. As for InuYasha telling Kikyo the truth…well…I can't guarantee it will be that clean and cut.
 
Precious: God I love you. LOL. You're review is awesome, because you always get me to stop and think and seriously contemplate what I'm writing. The reality check is always a good thing when writing, to make sure that you're ducks really are in a row. I wans't planning on divulging the Souta story until much later in the story, but seeing as to Kagome needing a much stronger drive to go to Bankotsu, I figure this helps some. ^__^ You're right though, the shit really did hit the fan in the last chapter. LMAO, I can just see Kagome going in there with a bomb. That's not half a bad idea…actually….O_o….hmmm….>.< … yeah, I know, it's a lot of angst, and honestly, it just built itself up. I never meant for it to get this dark. I just wanted to write a good b&d story. LMAO. Opps? Silly plot bunnies…running away with my story…
 
My drakey!: Yay, I missed you!!! yeah, he got what was coming to him. heheheh…he'll get more later.
 
Leilachan: Yeah, I figured it would be better for Inu to find out, because he would be more likely to use it to his advantage. And we all know how much fun that is going to be. >.< Getting worse? Meh…maybe…maybe not. maybe not yet? hmmm…. ^__^
 
Inuyashaloverr: I like making him evil. Even if just for this, he's to much fun not to do it to. Him and Naraku are normally my favorite two to write, next to Miroku that is. ^__^ man, you hit that nail on the head. oh…if you think Inu thrashed him good….heheheh.
 
Sweekijo: NEDDIE!!! Yeah, the chapter kind of scared me too. I had to keep going back and asking myself, how can I get her out of this alive, without having to knock out the rest of the story to do it? Yeah, Bank is one scary mo-fo in this, I'll give you that. Yeah, the drama is excessive, and I'm hoping to can some of it, but I just don't see that happening, because now I got a whole other side to pull into this. ::sighs:: oh well, I guess all I can do is hold on at this point. It's gonna be crazy! ^__^
 
Loulou4729: damn straight. LOL. Hehe, I'm glad that you enjoyed the chapter. Well…how was it? LOL. I'm hoping you enjoyed it!
 
Malitiadixie: No, surprisingly, Kikyo does have a brain. Huh, who would have known? Oh, something wicked this way comes, I'll say that much!!
 
Kagome313: see, another update way before Christmas. Woot! I'm getting better, I promise!!! Kikyo is like the weather, I'll giver her that. she's the one who will play the ditz throughout it all but be the one who knows it all as well. go fig. she's fun to write in this, at least. No, Kagome's blinded to who InuYasha is. it is to out there for her to picture him as a demon. That's really left field. Yes, Sesshoumaru is more powerful than Bankotsu, but remember that InuYasha and Sesshoumaru aren't the most talkative of relatives, and even then, InuYasha assaulted Bankotsu, there isn't much Sesshoumaru can do to save him there. >.< let's just say, as Precious stated, the shit has hitith the fan.
 
Blaccwolf123: that he did, that he did. And yes, I agree completely, it would blow for inu to end up in jail over this. It has been a while, I'm sory. hopefully this makes up for it. ^__^
 
Tarzan14: Yeah, It might make his life harder, but at least he's not confused over which girl he wants now, yes? Meh, his life was hard to begin with. What's a little more stress?