InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Shades of Gray ❯ Moments in Time ( Chapter 30 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

~<>~ Shades of Gray ~<>~
 
~<>~ Chapter 30 ~<>~ Moments in Time
 
 
 
The silence that lingered about the room was borderline painful. Kagejiro had been holding his breath for nearly two minutes straight, attempting to decide whether to bark out the terse laugh that was bubbling in his gut or to wince in commiseration for his younger sibling. Miroku gazed on in keen interest, unable to peel his eyes away from the scene before him; it was like watching a train wreck. InuYasha was still shaking his head, trying to ward off the million and two hexes that were being cast on him by Rin's hellish gaze. And then there was Sesshoumaru. Poor Sesshoumaru's head had spun in so many directions in the literal and metaphorical sense, the tycoon didn't know what way was up. Staring stupidly at Rin, he was nearly comatose to the world around him that was awaiting the apocalypse to be wrought on any member of the household. As the unspoken words began to pile up above their heads, it took Kagejiro releasing the breath he was holding in a nearly hurricane force exhale.
 
“Bloody hell, I can't breathe the air's so fuckin' thick in `ere.”
 
And the fireworks ensued. It was as if hearing Kagejiro's voice knocked Sesshoumaru back into reality not much unlike a giant asteroid could knock the Earth from its orbit.
 
“What the hell is he talking about?”
 
Rin winced under Sesshoumaru's insinuating glower. She had seen greater and wiser businessmen fall to a far less threatening glare from the ice prince himself. Being the intended receiver of the gaze however, made her want to crawl into a hole and die. “I…that is to say…he…”
 
InuYasha watched helplessly from the side lines as Rin became that aforementioned car stuck in the train wreck. The world was crashing down about her and there was little to nothing he could do to save her. Taking a step forward, he attempted to put a hand on Sesshoumaru's shoulder. Rin deserved this after all that she had done, but at the same point…. His brain still could not wrap around the fact that the child was, indeed, Sesshoumaru's. “Sessh…”
 
Sesshoumaru turned on his brother in an instant. Wrapping his hand around the younger boy's throat, he shoved him backwards up against the wall, his face falling inches from his siblings. “What…the fuck are you talking about? What have you been keeping from me?” Glaring back to Rin, whose eyes had begun to glaze over with unshed tears, he managed to raise his voice ten decibels. “Someone better start talking!” to see Sesshoumaru's face was frightening enough but to be victim to the bellow coming from his gut…there were no words that could describe the horror.
 
Rin darted forward, intent on pulling InuYasha from his brother's grasp. “Sesshoumaru, please…stop….”
 
Sesshoumaru swatted Rin back, his hand inches from colliding with her face. Knowing damn well he couldn't take the anger out on the girl before him, he turned it all towards his brother. “What is she talking about InuYasha? Tell me what is going on now! I demand it!”
 
InuYasha wrapped his hand around Sesshoumaru's hand, attempting to pull him back so that he could get some air through his lungs. Being crushed to death against the wall was not currently on his to-do list. “Sess…stop it!”
 
With a flick of his wrist, Sesshoumaru knocked InuYasha's hand away from his and continued his potentially deadly hold on his younger brother as he began to roar for answers at the top of his lungs.
 
The noise abruptly ended when Sesshoumaru's head shot backwards, yanked by an invisible force to the naked eye. It took a moment for the two humans in the room to notice that within half a second Kagejiro had shot from once side of the room to the other. He stood next to the two boys, Sesshoumaru's ponytail wrapped securely around his fist with the man's head drawn backwards at a nearly obscene angle; in his mouth was a bottle of jack, emptying itself down the middle child's throat being supported by the mal-adjusted older sibling. As Sesshoumaru sputtered madly he released his grasp on InuYasha and the youngest made his escape across the room.
 
Kagejiro smirked while watching the alcohol drain from the bottle into his brother's kidneys. “Now then,” he cooed once the bottle was nearly empty, “Don't that just make life a little more pretty?” Throwing the bottle across the room, he released Sesshoumaru who instantly rushed into the kitchen and stuck his head under the faucet. Kagejiro swaggered behind slowly, leaning on the door frame of the kitchen to watch his brother intently. “Oy, you need to learn how to take your drink. What good is a man that chases Jack with water? It's a sad day for Mr. Daniels indeed.”
 
Pulling his head from the faucet, Sesshoumaru was nearly sure he was seeing red. Turning to his right, he released a trail of thunder that could have blasted a hole through titanium. “What the fuck is wrong with you, you worthless son of a…”
 
The smirk all but vanished from Kagejiro's face. Cutting off his brother's sentence before he could finish, Kagejiro's voice left nothing to question. “Now, now, boyo, you don't want to go insulting Ma', now do ya? That could equal a significantly awful mistake on your behalf. It would be the bottle down your throat next, `stead of the liquid.”
 
If it were ever possible in the history of man, Sesshoumaru actually balked for a moment at the older sibling. Staring in confusion with a tint of hesitation, he actually rethought his words. “What the hell are you doing in this hemisphere of the world? Aren't you wreaking enough havoc over seas to go about concerning yourself with our affairs?”
 
Miroku found it to be the best time to chime in; “Speaking of affairs…” before InuYasha wisely threw a hand over Miroku's mouth and dragged him away from the brewing fight.
 
Kagejiro shrugged and began rummaging through the shelves for another bottle of liquor. “That may be so,” he muttered as he moved along his merry way without glancing to Sesshoumaru, “but I'm always game for screwing with your life…and Da's.” Pulling out of the cabinets with a bottle of Scotch, he smiled wickedly, “and besides, I wouldn't want to miss this for all the whiskey in…” Pausing, he glanced at the bottle in his hand then shook his head sternly, “never mind that, I took an oath to refrain from blasphemy and Lord knows I don't need more sins to my name.”
 
Sesshoumaru did not seem amused. “Worthless drunk.” Turning in his heels, he began to walk from the kitchen to reassess just what was happening around him.
 
“The sins of the father…”
 
Stopping dead in his tracks, Sesshoumaru's eyes widened. He turned very slowly to glance back at Kagejiro, who was very slowly annihilating the bottle in his hand. He read it in his brother's eyes and understood immediately. His attention shifted in a millisecond towards the petite girl who was standing aside, completely silent to the whole situation. “Rin….” Taking a step in her direction, his entire being softened.
 
Everyday. Everyday he thought about Rin, thought about what he had let go, thought about the life he had passed up. He never would have thought himself capable of falling in love until she walked into his office. She started out as an intern to the office, volunteering to do paper runs or make copies. He had run into her, literally, in the copy room in early June nearly three years ago. She yelled at him for not watching where he was going and he simply gawked. No employee, or human being for that matter, had ever had the balls to stand up to him let alone dare to raise their voice to the great son of the Taisho dog. By time he had collected his thoughts to put her in her place, she was gone. The next day he demanded that she become his personal assistant. His decision wasn't motivated by lust or admiration; he wanted her to suffer, he wanted to see her squirm. He wanted her to understand why everyone feared him. And as the days turned to weeks, and the weeks to a month, he learned that there was a lot more to life than business and money. He learned more from Rin about himself and about life in the four months she had interned with him than she did from him about business.
 
It shocked him the day he realized that he was falling in love with her. It was like waking up to find you didn't know your own reflection. He attempted to avoid her at the office; he refused to go home…he would spend hours a day sitting in his car in the parking garage just staring. When she finally cornered him about his dwindling presence in the office, he kissed her. He started it all, the first kiss, the first touch, the first caress. Rin became his rock amidst the raging rapids of life. He talked to her about everything and anything; he let her see him for what he truly was…a miserable boy playing to his father's whims. She made him feel whole, made him feel like a person rather than a detachment of his father. The closer he got to Rin, the further he drifted from Kagura. He found himself taking `business' vacations to exotic locations, demanding that the eighteen year old girl follow him and spend the weekend indulging in the luxury of the island and the wealth of his wallet. It was in a `conference' in Hawaii where his life twisted into the soap opera he grew to loathe. They spent the day…and the night….together. The sex was mind blowing and with that he was hooked.
 
They kept up the affair for nearly two months and within that time he told her more about himself than anyone combined in his life. He told her that he was a demon, he told her about his past and his real dreams and aspirations. He told her how he did not want to become his father and how he had married Kagura out of responsibility. She made him question everything that designed his life and more…
 
Then Kagura told him that she was pregnant. The life he had with Rin, no matter how sweet it had been, reached its peak; he was going to be a father and that was a commitment he was not about to fail at. Letting Rin go was the hardest obstacle in life that Sesshoumaru had to overcome and he never truly had. She was leaving the office to start her schooling at NYU and the break was clean but nevertheless, hellishly painful. Watching her cry broke what little was left of the ice prince's heart and watching her walk away sealed his fate. He tracked her for awhile while she attended school in New York but when she dropped out suddenly he lost all contact with her, and with that, his heart.
 
Seeing her before him was like seeing the ghost of a lover that you held while they died. It was painstakingly heart wrenching, not unlike grave robbers digging into the crevasses of his heart. At the same time, however, it was like the light that had long ago burnt out was rekindled, illuminating a world he had long forgotten existed. His heart was beating faster and he could swear he was starting to sweat. It was like being a teenager all over again without the acne, or the acne that other kids got…this Sesshoumaru never got acne.
 
“Rin…”
 
Rin's eyes overflowed with tears, crystalline droplets of pain and of misery and of hope and love made their path down her cheek and through her heart. “Sesshoumaru…” taking three steps forward, she wasn't shocked to find herself very quickly received and nestled in his chest. Burying her face in his abs, she began to cry hysterically. Had all these years truly passed? Was she really in his arms again, hugging the man she had thought she lost? “I'm sorry,” was all that she could manage to choke out between sobs.
 
InuYasha and Miroku gawked on from the side lines, both seemingly dumbfounded to the emotions displayed before them by the stone cold business man. Exchanging glances, both men shrugged helplessly to the situation before them. What was there to say? Suddenly, the awkwardness of the situation washed over them like a tidal wave. Inhaling sharply, both boys looked away and began rocking on their feet. Wasn't there somewhere they should have been?
 
An arm draped over both boys' shoulders as Kagejiro brought his head between theirs. “You're out of Jack, which could make this night quite unpleasant. I vote we leave these star-crossed lovers to their words and we make our way ta the local pub. I'm pretty sure I owe you a drink, lad.” Tilting his head towards the door, he pulled both boys' back a step before releasing them and turning on his heels.
 
Miroku spun around with Kagejiro's urging and whined lowly; “but dad, I want to see the end of the show!”
 
InuYasha walked up behind Miroku and shoved his palm into Miroku's back. “Start walking Tubby, you'll be blinded by the fire works.”
 
Miroku hiked up an eyebrow and took one long glare backwards at the pair before looking to InuYasha. “I hate it when mommy and daddy fight.”
 
Sesshoumaru could have been dead to the world. Staring into Rin's eyes, he didn't even hear the front door slam. Bringing one hand to cup her chin, his fingers skimmed over her cheek with a feather soft touch. “Rin.”
 
Rin turned her face into his touch, relishing the feel of his hands against her. She hadn't been with another man since Sesshoumaru and quite honestly never had the urge to be. He had been her first and in her mind, he would be her last. She loved him with every inch of her soul, and beyond that, she was highly afraid to bring a man home to meet her son. How could she ever explain that?
 
Sesshoumaru led her very slowly to the couch, his fingers linking to hers in a soft grasp. Giving her a place to sit, he sat beside her and stared into her eyes. How was it that he had completely forgotten the anger that had festered up so quickly before? What had it been over? Blinking slowly, he found that he didn't really care as he stared into her eyes.
 
“Sesshoumaru…”
 
Shaking his head once, he attempted to bring himself back to reality. “Rin, what…what is going on? Why are you here? How do you know my brothers?”
 
Rin pondered over his question for a moment, wondering if he had even taken note to InuYasha's slip of the tongue. “I…I know…wait…brothers?” snorting once, she attempted to understand the statement. “I thought InuYasha was your only brother.”
 
Sesshoumaru grunted a non committed response and looked away. “He is the only brother that I will ever admit, begrudgingly, that I am related to. The other one, however, was thrown out of the family centuries ago.” With a resentful groan, he shook his head. He knew he was forgetting something important but all he could see was Rin.
 
Rin opened her mouth to comment and then rethought over the entire situation. It was as if the light bulb finally turned on. With a droop of her shoulders, she understood the mistake. InuYasha had thought that… “He had the wrong brother,” she muttered with a shake of her head. Regardless of the tension of the situation, she couldn't help but laugh a little at the result.
 
Sesshoumaru watched Rin for a moment, studying the way her perplexed expression melted into one of amusement. Smirking as the smile splashed across her weary face, he realized just how much he had missed her. The words hit him a moment later. “What do you mean?”
 
Rin swallowed thickly, wondering if the old saying was true; would it be easiest to rip the band-aid off? `At least those band-aids can't break you in half for not telling them the truth,' she thought somnolently. “Sesshoumaru…I…” pausing, she reconsidered her words and just how to drop this bomb shell. Fusing her eyebrows together, she began to fold her fingers together and stared off for a moment. How could you tell someone that they were a father? How could she explain herself and/or her actions?
 
Sesshoumaru studied Rin's face as she sought out her way to explain herself. Sitting back and folding his arms across his chest, he began to worry. InuYasha's words that made any sense played through his mind again and again; a part of him wished that for once in his life, he had listened to the boy's nagging. Normally, when the widget opened his mouth, all he heard was pain. After so many years, he had stopped listening. Somehow however the words `he' and `dad' stuck out like a straight man at a Celine Deon concert. As he contemplated the situation further, the color slowly drained from his face. Reaching out and wrapping one hand over both of hers, he forced her attention to him. “Rin, what did InuYasha mean when he said…”
 
“You're a father.”
 
Sesshoumaru hesitated as the words filtered through his brain. “Yes, I know this,” he responded with a slight ire. “I told you Kagura was pregnant.”
 
Rin winced, knowing how much that really dug into her heart. As if she could ever forget. She had met Kagura once and it was an experience she never wished to reminisce on. It was as if Kagura knew that she had been sleeping with her husband; Rin could almost swear that witch's eyes had turned red on her.
 
Swallowing thickly, she couldn't help the shakes that had erupted all over her body. “No,” she spoke calmly, only betrayed by the tremble of her body; “I…I mean that you…you're a father.”
 
Sesshoumaru opened his mouth to once again correct Rin's assertion before the words actually hit him. Squeezing her hands a bit harder than he meant to, he gained her attention quickly. “Rin…” he blinked once as the sweat began to pour off his face. “What do you mean?”
 
Rin closed her eyes so that she wouldn't have to witness her own murder. “I mean that you have a son.”
 
And the world was nearly sure the sun would never rise again. The bellow that left Sesshoumaru's mouth shook the apartment by its foundation. The walls nearly crumbled to dust around him. “What the fuck do you mean that I have a son?” jumping to his feet, he was screaming before he knew it. Louder than he had ever been in his life, he couldn't help it as he started to pace. “What are you talking about? Why do I have a son, Rin? What did you fail to mention to me?”
 
Rin grimaced as the man she once loved grew more and more agitated by the second. She didn't want this; she never wanted this to hurt him like how she had. Watching him holler at her as if she had attempted to take his life, she felt the tell-tale pin prick of tears in her eyes. “Sesshoumaru,” standing up slowly, she attempted to reach for his hand.
 
Grabbing her arm as she extended it, he pulled her forward. Had he been more like his brothers, he would have belted her on the spot. Struggling with all of his might to keep his anger in check, he spoke through clenched teeth. “Rin, how the hell do I have a son? What the hell is going on?” He couldn't manage to wrap his thoughts together tightly enough to form any type of concise thought.
 
Attempting to pull herself from his grasp, Rin found the battle futile. Hanging her head, she began her tale. “Do you remember Hawaii?”
 
Sesshoumaru nodded darkly, his brooding nature standing out unabashed.
 
“Do you remember the night you told me you were a demon…and then you showed me?”
 
Again he nodded, his eyes darkening in hue. Beneath the mundane mocha, Rin could see the blazing amber orbs that were burning holes through her retinas.
 
“We didn't…you didn't…” clearing her throat, she glanced away from the prince. “I…was…you…we didn't…that is…I guess it was then.” Inhaling sharply, she turned her gaze on the man before her. With all the strength mustered she stuck out her chin. “Whenever it was and however it happened, I have a son with your DNA in him.”
 
Sesshoumaru looked almost doubtful. Narrowing his eyes, he seethed continuously. “How is that possible?” Words were swirling around his head; this was so surreal it hurt. Like watching Speed Racer while stoned, Sesshoumaru's world was shifting out from beneath his feet and catapulting towards certain doom. “How do you know he's my son?”
 
Rin hiked an eyebrow in disbelief. She had expected yelling, she had expected an argument, but she hadn't expected doubt. Matching his tone, she got defensive. “How the hell do you think I know he's your son?” Seeing his hesitation, she reached forward and grabbed a tuff of his hair. Tugging it with intent, she continued to rant; “I think this is a dead give away.”
 
Pulling his hair from her hand, he took a step back. Inhaling sharply, he continued to breathe rapidly. This was all too much for him; this morning all he had to explain to his father was his failing marriage because his wife was a cheating whore. Now he had to explain the existence of a …. Slowly the color drained from his face. “I have a…”
 
“Son…yes, you do.”
 
“A half breed?”
 
Snapping her head up to face the demon lord, she could swear her temperature raised ten degrees. Taking a threatening step towards Sesshoumaru, she jabbed him in the chest with her finger. “Don't you dare call him that; he is your son!”
 
“And a half breed.”
 
“He's perfect.”
 
“He's a mud blood.”
 
Rearing back, Rin belted Sesshoumaru across the face with an open palm. Ignoring the complete shock that was written across his face instantly, she nearly stepped onto his feet. “How dare you!” Slamming her palm into his chest, she shoved him backwards. “What the hell is wrong with you? What, I was only good enough to fuck? I have your kid and suddenly he's not good enough to be your son? He's not perfect enough? Well, genius, what the fuck did you think you were going to get when we fucked? Obviously, I'm not a demon!”
 
Sesshoumaru planted his feet and stopped Rin's approach. Meeting her furious glower, he responded just as coldly, “I wasn't expecting anything beyond a night of pleasure. If I had known that you would get pregnant…”
 
“You would have what? Not bothered, not ventured beyond Kagura? Go ahead, Sesshoumaru, tell me just what you would have done.”
 
Breathing heavily, Sesshoumaru find his mind had turned to mush. Looking into her eyes was like holding Kryptonite; he couldn't call upon any of his strength. Was she serious? Had Rin truly given birth to his son? Did anyone know? Finding out that he had an illegitimate child would be nearly as devastating as the world finding out that the Taisho clan was demons. Panic was starting to supersede the ire and anger that was festering in every crevice of his heart. “Who knows?”
 
Rin snorted once and shook her head. “Unbelievable.” With tears in her eyes, she turned and grabbed her coat from the couch. Rushing towards the door she screamed back, “No one, you jack ass. No one knows he is yours and no one ever will.” Opening the door, she hesitated. She knew looking back at the man she had to walk away from so many years ago would be devastating, but it had to be said. Slowly turning over her right shoulder, her broken gray eyes met his. “He has your smile.” Closing her eyes and holding back the whimper that was choking her, she walked from the apartment.
 
Sesshoumaru stood stupidly watching through the front window as Rin walked to her car. Time and space had stopped around the young lord, everything coming to a stand still. Feeling as if he could pluck his breath from the air, he just stared onward as the young girl sat in her car and cried hysterically. Was this really happening? Did he really have a son? Was he going to stand here as Rin walked out of his life again? Balking, he just couldn't find the method to move his feet to trail after her. He wanted to; by God he wanted to run to her and hold her. He wanted to see his son and hold his boy. He wanted to know the child's name. Lifting his eyes, he wasn't shocked to find Rin's car already gone. Turning away from the window, the demon lord pushed his back to the wall and slowly slid down to sit on the floor. Had that all really just happened? Staring blankly,
Sesshoumaru Taisho lost track of time.
 
*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X
 
Shifting out of fifth, Miroku hollered at the top of his lungs as the car nearly power slid around the exit on Route 18. Inches from clipping the guardrail, Miroku down shifted again as they slid down the ramp towards Route 36. Entering the abandoned highway, Miroku gunned it again, shifting as fast as he could get the car into gear. InuYasha sat with his hands dug into the seat, his eyes wide on the road in front of them wondering when death was going to claim their lives in a fiery inferno. Glancing into the rear view mirror, he wasn't all together shocked to find Kagejiro lounging in the backseat, his hands folded neatly behind his head and a cigar resting in the side of his mouth. Sun glasses on and a smirk residing on his face, he remembered that his brother lived for this. InuYasha, on the other hand, could die from this. It wasn't to say he was a pussy; he loved speed and fast cars as much as the next straight man, but the way Miroku was driving was nearly suicidal. As they approached the Monmouth Mall, InuYasha prayed to God that Miroku would slow the fuck down.
 
“You should pull your hands out from your arse, Lad, and enjoy the fuckin' wind. It's a beautiful night.”
 
InuYasha tensed more, knowing that his brother had absolutely no qualms about the situation. As Miroku shifted down again, InuYasha began paying attention to the situation around them. “Can we go to the bar now…please?”
 
Miroku hollered again, glancing once into the rear view mirror. “Man, I just have to say, I love you and I love your car.”
 
Kagejiro ashed out the window and rubbed Miroku's head. “You're just sayin' that `cause you're holding my stick. We'll see if you call me in the morning.”
 
Miroku cackled and headed towards the main bar in Long Branch. “So, what is on the agenda?”
 
Kagejiro wrinkled his nose and sat back against his seat. “Fuck agendas, what are ya; a vadge? We're gonna fuckin' drink until we puke, and then drink some more.”
 
InuYasha inhaled slowly, enjoying the knowledge that he was still alive. Glancing back to Kagejiro, he asked, “I thought it was drink and drink and drink and drink and drink and drink and fight.”
 
Kagejiro took the cigar from his mouth and smiled toothily at his brother. “Oh, that it is…that it is.”
 
Miroku whooped again as they slid into the parking lot of Jak's Pub. Getting out of the car, InuYasha turned to look at their pub of choice and balked. Ignoring the push from his brother to move from his way, InuYasha turned to Miroku. “I don't think we should be here.”
 
Miroku made a face as he grabbed his wallet and cell phone from the consul. “Why?”
 
InuYasha stared dead panned, wishing he had something to hit Miroku with at the moment. “Think about this real carefully. Where were we last night?”
 
Miroku opened his mouth after a moment as the proverbial light bulb went off over his head. “Oh…that. You really think that…” remembering just who he spent half the time at the club talking to, he considered his words carefully. “Maybe we should…”
 
A door slamming shut and Kagejiro missing sealed their fate. As the duo slowly walked towards the bar in trepidation, they slowly got their stories straight. “He's a friend of the families from out of town,” InuYasha told Miroku in all seriousness, “you cannot relate him to me. Understood?”
 
Miroku nodded slowly, his mind back on the night before. Would Jakotsu be able to piece this puzzle together like they had? Once he saw Kagejiro, would he understand InuYasha's secret? The lingering feeling of dread overwhelmed Miroku as they pushed through the door, and he knew InuYasha was drowning under it as well.
 
Kagejiro had already taken a seat at the bar and was ordering drinks for them all by time they reached his side, dragging their feet the entire time. Glaring around the establishment, Kagejiro hefted an eyebrow to InuYasha and slowly crossed his arms. “For a college town, this place blows. Where are the college sluts willing to bare all?”
 
Miroku snorted and rolled his eyes. “I ask myself that every day.”
 
As the words left Miroku's mouth, a younger co-ed walked past the three boys wearing what equated to the coverage of a lamp shade. With a smirk, Miroku recanted, “Dear Diary, jackpot. Giggity-giggity.” Grabbing his drink, he bowed out to the boys and followed the tail across the bar.
 
InuYasha watched him wade into the crowd and then slowly turned back to his brother. Glancing down at the jack and coke sitting in front of him, he sighed in thought. `Here comes the awkwardness,' he thought drudgingly.
 
“So are we going to get shitty and you tell me what the fuck is goin' on or should I just bludgeon it out of ya now?”
 
InuYasha grunted without due commitment to an answer.
 
“I see,” said the Irish man. “So Sesshoumaru fucked a girl who wasn't his wife, and now he has a son that he didn't know he had. Am I warm?”
 
InuYasha nodded slowly, sipping his jack. “Yeah, close to it.” Swirling the liquid around in the cup, he pondered shallowly over just how he had fucked this up. The signs had been clear, looking back, that the brother of choice was Sesshoumaru.
 
“I jus' don't see how I got dragged into this bloody mess. I ain't seen that boy since before his balls dropped. What do I have to do in this?”
 
InuYasha grimaced. “I thought…”
 
“You thought I buffed her?”
 
“Yeah…I thought you…buffed…her.” Frowning, he lowered his voice, “I never thought Sesshoumaru would ever cheat on that wench of a wife, it is against everything Daddy ever taught him. I didn't think Sesshoumaru even knew how to fornicate. His daughter is a miraculous conception, that's my story and I am sticking to it.”
 
“That might be well and good, but I still don't see how my name got dragged into your chaotic wheel o' logic.”
 
With a grunt, InuYahsa put down his cup and turned to look at `Jiro. “The baby's first name is Kenren, Rin was weird from the moment she found out I was a Taisho and she knew we were…” clearing his throat, he made a gesture towards Kagejiro's pointed elf-like ears.
 
“A demon? You can say lad, them wankers ain't gonna string ya up by your toes for it.” Seeing how utterly uncomfortable InuYasha was with that conversation, he swore under his breath and let it go for the moment. “So you took all that information, scuttled it around in a hat and pulled my name out like a fuckin' rabbit? How does that work?”
 
With a terse sigh, InuYasha snapped back, “I told you, I never thought Sesshoumaru would cheat on his wife. He's not the type…he doesn't do things wrong, he doesn't mess up. He's dad's mini-me.”
 
The smile slid from Kagejiro's face as InuYasha's rant continued. “You're wrong,” he spoke slowly after InuYasha was finished, “Dad is not holy, InuYasha, he fucks up just as much as the next bloke. He just kills those who sees it. Da is the root of all evil in the demon society; he just covers it better than anyone you'll ever meet.”
 
With a frown, InuYasha shook his head, cutting off Jiro from any possible continuation of that story. “This is not a conversation that I'm willing to have here. I want to speak with you, eventually, about that. Tonight is not that night though.”
 
Kagejiro stared at InuYasha for a moment, as if reading his thoughts before consenting. Both men stared into their drinks for a moment before Kagejiro spoke up. “You mentioned another problem that you needed help controlling. Some fuck-off who deserves to get his skull beat in, was it? Tell me where that Bogger is an' I'll take care of `im for ya.”
 
InuYasha cleared his throat loudly as Jakotsu made his appearance behind the bar, heading in their direction. “Not now,” he muttered as the man made his way over to the pair. “Just…shut up for a moment.”
 
Kagejiro looked mildly offended until Jakotsu dropped himself directly into the middle of their huddle. Resting on his elbows with his face inches from Kagejiro, he was decked out in a Dolche button down purple shirt and a pair of pants that InuYasha couldn't tell if it was a fashioned skirt or really giant loose fitting slacks.
 
“Good evening, gentlemen.” With a bat of his mascara-covered eyes, he focused his attention on Kagejiro. “And good evening gorgeous. Where are you from good-looking?”
 
Kagejiro stared blankly at Jakotsu, taking in every aspect of the man before him. “InuYasha,” he spoke clearly without breaking his eye contact, “I do believe that there is a man beneath all that makeup; a sissy but nevertheless, a dick-equipped sod.”
InuYasha nearly choked on the alcohol. “I…well…yes…but…”
 
Jakotsu took the insult with the grace of the queen he was. “I am all man beneath this makeup, and I would be more than happy to show you if you have an hour or two to spare.”
 
“Lady,” Kagejiro spoke slowly, “I would sooner bite my own dick off, chew, grin and bear it, so your attempts are completely futile. You should turn face now before you are ill-equipped to further this conversation with another man who fancies cock.”
 
Jakotsu smiled wickedly. “Oh, I love the guys who play hard to get.” With acute wrinkle of his nose, Jakotsu continued, “Just remember; you'll be drunk and I'll be waiting, honey.”
 
“I would need to be dead, buried in the ground and taken by Satan before you could pry me hands away from your neck if you take another chance with this discussion.”
 
InuYasha grimaced as he watched Jakotsu take mild offense. “Jakotsu,” he interrupted, “How is the night going?” If he could keep it pleasant, than maybe he could ward off the brewing war. Kagejiro had a look of death etched across his stony countenance. It chilled the deepest caverns of InuYasha's heart, actually, to see just how fast the man next to him had turned off all emotions and became focused solely on one individual. It was that expression that lay on his brother's face that had sent many of men to their shallow graves. When his older brother had made a grand appearance, InuYasha thought him harmless; he realized now the severity of his mistake. One act of silly nonsense had trigged him like a claymore. Kagejiro was proving to be everything Sesshoumaru had warned him about.
 
Jakotsu took a moment to peel his gaze away from the stunning amber hold the demon next to him held. Clearing his throat, he smiled blankly at InuYasha. “As well as a Saturday night can go, I suppose, Yashie. I've missed you; tell me that you're ready to become my able and willing partner?”
 
InuYasha kept a pleasant expression on his face. “Not an ice cube's chance in hell.” He wanted to ask about Kagome, he wanted to know how she was. He had spoken with Kikyo earlier that day and found out that she was planning on going out with her cousin that night, which ultimately led to the discovery that she had spoken with Kagome that day. Knowing that Kagome was safe put his mind at ease; however, he still longed to see her for himself. Day by day, this was becoming more and more painful. If he didn't find a way to be with Kagome soon, he was sure he would die. This was also getting more dangerous by the heartbeat. His feelings were spiraling out of control and he was in above his head.
 
Kagejiro turned slowly to gaze at InuYasha. “When you told me that you had a man you needed some assistance with, you weren't speaking of this fag, were you?”
 
Jakotsu sighed heavily and directed his attention towards Kagejiro. “If you must know Yashie and I are on a first named basis. It's so much further than you'll ever get so you should really just go kill yourself now. Or join the gay side. Whichever is easiest for that pretty little head of yours? By the way,” he cooed while reaching out to grab a handful of Kagejiro's hair, “I absolutely love the color. Tres' Natural?”
 
Salvaging his head before Jakotsu could get his paws on it, Kagejiro growled at him. “I am what you see, unlike the girly-man who stands in a skirt before me.”
 
Wrinkling his nose and giggling like a school girl, Jakotsu turned to InuYasha. “God that accent is so sexy.” With the same crooning tone, he jibed, “don't forget though whose people wear skirts on an average basis.” Though the smile never left his face, Jakotsu was very quickly adding his numbers together. The silver haired Irish asshole before him held an almost exact resemblance to Sha, the night life Ricco Suave. Smiling pleasantly, Jakotsu felt like he needed to push for that extra information. “So Kagome was very talkative on the drive home last night.” Looking at his nails, he wanted to see if he could drag anything out of the male before him; “Lots to say.”
 
InuYasha opened his mouth to ask if she was okay before hesitating. With a inward sigh, he realized that nearly gave away that he knew where she was the prior night. After he completely recovered from that nearly fatal error, he continued as if nothing was wrong. . “Drive home? I thought she was out with Kikyo all night.”
 
Jakotsu was hardly disappointed. He knew he was onto something and by George; he was going to figure it out. “I took her out last night. I figure after everything Poodle's been through, she needed some fresh air.”
 
“If you told your fuckin' cousin to keep his god damned hands off of her, she wouldn't be stressed.” Feeling his hands curling into fists, InuYasha couldn't even acknowledge where he sudden pang of rage shot from, but he was lit like a roman candle.
 
Jakotsu nodded slowly, his smile falling into a rather indiscernible reaction. “Somehow,” he murmured, “I don't think it's just Bankotsu that needs to keep his hands away from Kagome. A taken man shouldn't dote on a single girl, is what I keep telling him; he is already committed to his fiancée and it's only hurting her in the long run.” Squinting at InuYasha, he could tell the boy got the message. Though Kagome hadn't spoken about InuYasha and their relationship directly, Jakotsu could see it was bothering her. Hell, it was bothering him; Kagome's heart was so frail he was afraid it would collapse like a house of cards if wounded again. Bankotsu was pushing her over the edge and now to have a taken man (by a relative none the less) drowning her in his attention, it wasn't adding up to be anything in her favor.
 
Kagejiro took down a straight shot of Jack before wiping his mouth and ordering a Guinness. Though he had little knowledge over the interaction transpiring in front of him, he was quickly catching onto the problem.
 
InuYasha's attention very quickly became focused on his drink. Watching the amber liquid swirl about the cup, he couldn't help the overwhelming sense of wrongness on his behalf. He knew he was putting Kagome into a tight spot…but had she said as much to Jakotsu? Was she regretting their trysts? “Has she…” frowning, he took his eyes off of the liquid painfully, “has Bankotsu stayed away from her since our accident at the dorm?” If Kagome was regretting it, he was quite sure right now he couldn't handle knowing it. He had to talk to her directly; this wasn't a conversation he wanted to have with Jakotsu.
 
Jakotsu winced and turned to pour him and the two men a shot of jack. “I guess you could say that. It's okay though, I think he will be out of the picture for a while.” It was all Jakotsu could pray for, after the events of the previous night. Bankotsu had lost his cool completely; pulling a gun was so far out of character for him, Jakotsu was really beginning to worry that he was losing himself to his Oberon personality. It would be a path of misery for the man and Jakotsu would have no part in it.
 
“It's the men that beat their wives and girl friends that make me want to take a tire iron to their skulls. I've killed for less,” Kagejiro threw into the conversation haphazardly.
 
Jakotsu and InuYasha hesitated, their eyes focused on the man next to them who, taking the open opportunity, sloshed back all three shots that lay on the table before them.
InuYasha made a face at his brother. “Seriously?” Glancing to the empty glasses, he lifted his eyes back to Kagejiro, “I take my hat off to you; you sir, are a professional.”
 
Kagejiro shrugged one shoulder, burped loudly, and swallowed down the rest of the Guinness. “What can I say; I'm a man who appreciates his ale.”
 
InuYasha shook his head with a short laugh. Turning back to Jakotsu who had poured another round of shots, he commented, “So…Kagome…She's all right?”
 
Jakotsu picked up the shot glass and stared at the liquid in it. Choosing to ignore InuYasha for the moment, he switched the conversation. “So, how do you two fella's know each other? Friends, relatives…lovers?”
 
Kagejiro sneered loudly, slamming his glass back onto the mahogany bar. Moving faster than anyone could see, he grabbed the front of Jakotsu's shirt. Hauling the boy halfway over the bar, he growled, “Listen, friend, my patience is about the length of your cock. It's worn thin a long time ago, and little fucks like you don't help my ulcers. Keep your thoughts to yourself lest I need to remove them from your brain.”
 
Jakotsu smiled kindly and removed himself from Kagejiro's grasp. “You know, I'll never understand any of your straight people lingo. All of these barbaric threats and thumping of your chest, it's just so primitive.”
 
InuYasha muttered incoherently and tried desperately to get away from the conversation. “So, is Kagome here tonight?”
 
“No, she is out with her cousin. Don't know where, so no need to ask. You should call her though; she had a bit of a rough night last night.” Not seeing InuYasha jump the gun to the inquisition, Jakotsu began to piece everything together. “Regardless,” shaking his head, he turned and began to walk down the bar, “I think it would do you some good, honey,” he said calmly to Kagejiro, “to calm down a little before you give yourself an aneurism. You should attempt to enjoy life.”
 
“You should attempt to put some pants on.”
 
Glancing back over his shoulder, Jakotsu mimicked a nearly flawless Irish accent; “Look at the kettle callin' me black, it's your lineage where grown men still wear skirts.” With a wink, the man disappeared behind the bar.
 
Not caring that he was out of sight, Kagejiro hollered, “leave the kilts out of this, you fuckin' queer. I'll break your face with a brick…”
 
Not realizing how loud he had gotten, it took InuYasha grabbing the elder brother's arm for him to come to his senses. He was on his feet with both hands planted on the bar. It took him a moment to get his anger in check, breathing deeply he struggled for control.
 
InuYasha could say that he had anger problems, issues even, but he had nothing on his brother. The minute Jakotsu had made any insinuation against the Irish, Kagejiro was on his feet hollering at the top of his lungs. InuYasha had been nearly sure that he was going to launch himself over the bar and tackle the cross dresser. Grasping his older brother's arm, he prayed to God almighty that `Jiro didn't turn and slug him. “'Jiro, get a hold of yourself!”
 
Kagejiro snapped his head around and glared at his brother with a stare that could freeze hell. After a solid minute of awkwardness passed, `Jiro slid back into his seat. “Fuckin' sod,” he muttered with the utmost animosity in his voice.
 
InuYasha wanted to stare down his brother, he wanted to demand to know exactly what he had against Jakotsu, but he was much more afraid of having him break his face. Silence ensued for a few moments while InuYasha ordered more drinks from a very nasty bartender.
 
“So stop jerkin' me around and tell me exactly why I'm `ere.”
 
InuYasha glanced around before lowering his voice. “That girl I was talking about…”
 
“The one you're fucking?”
 
InuYasha nodded, “and that guy we were discussing—“
 
“Bankotsu Koizumi, the fastest mouth on the east coast. Heard he would fit right in with your friend `ere,” he nodded towards the path of Jakotsu's escape.
 
InuYasha snickered once and shook his head. How far from the truth and right on the money `Jiro was. With a firm nod, he attempted to avoid the name. Though this was
Jakotsu's establishment, there were undoubted connections beyond him to Bankotsu in their presence. “It's a story I can't tell here, for obvious reasons…but…what I can say is that Koizumi has been sleeping with Kagome…”
 
“Who?” There was a very bored quality to Kagejiro's tone, and it really dug under InuYasha's skin.
 
“Do you want to know or not?” InuYasha snapped suddenly.
 
Kagejiro huffed in objection. “Am I hearin' your right, boy? Are you really going ta sit here and condescend to me about things you begged me to help fix? Don't get an attitude with me.”
 
InuYasha felt like his head had exploded. Shaking it once, he yelled, “What don't you understand about keeping things on the down-low? If I told you I will tell you later, I fuckin' will. God, has anyone ever told you how obnoxious you are?”
 
With a smirk, Kagejiro sat back in his chair and grinned. “Every day of my life. It takes balls though ta say it, I'll give you that. I'm glad to see you grew some, unlike Sesshourmaru.”
 
InuYasha blinked repeatedly before turning and ordering a shot of whiskey. “I don't know how to take you sometimes,” he said plainly.
 
“What I need to say is said. I don't horse shit, I don't beat around the fuckin' bush. You either get used to it, or ya adapt; either way, I ain't changin' what I say.”
 
InuYasha shrugged. “ `nough said.”
 
It wasn't until an arm extended around InuYasha's shoulder and fingernails gently scratched at his pecks that the silence was broken again. Lips pressed, for a moment, against his cheek before he found himself in the middle of a cluster-fuck.
 
“Hi babe,” Kikyo cooed, her attention focused on the man before her.
 
Kagejiro glanced to his left and eyed up Kikyo. Letting his eyes linger on her scantly covered ass, a smirk wound its way to his face. And the nearly fatal words slipped from his lips. “Oh, right then, you must be Kagome.”
 
Kikyo glanced at Kagejiro and her smile disappeared instantly. If the silver hair didn't give it away, the piercing golden eyes did. The sneer that reared its head on her face was ugly at best. Like someone speaking to trash, she stared down her nose at Kagejiro, as if insulted to his very existence in this blood-stained world. “Obviously you're as blind as you are stupid, demon; I'm Kikyo Higurashi, and my father could bury you if you keep talking to me like you're my equal.” Snapping her head around, she spoke at InuYasha, “It's pathetic that law hasn't banned these animals from eating at tables like humans.”
 
InuYasha actually balked. Feeling as if the world was about to implode, he wanted to throw himself over the bar to evade the fire he knew would brim from his brother. Jakotsu's presence had insulted the man enough, now to have Kikyo talking to him as if were a worthless Dog…InuYasha felt as if half of his problems in life were about to be solved. If Kikyo wasn't around anymore, he could freely see Kagome. Maybe there was an upside to this apocalypse.
 
It was to his utter shock that Kagejiro kept a completely cool head. With a smile betrayed by his eyes, he retorted, “Charmed.” Glancing to InuYasha, he asked, “a friend of yours?”
 
The smile on his face was tight at best, “girlfriend, actually.”
 
“Your father's choice?”
 
Kikyo whirled to face Kagejiro; “what business is that of yours?”
 
“I'm a family friend,” he spoke curtly to her. Behind her back, InuYasha ran a thumb across his neck and Kagejiro agreed. His father just knew how to pick them. “Glad ta know that the old man's judgment of character is still fucked.”
 
Kikyo knew an insult had been thrown but was unsure of how to take it. “Whatever,” she snapped flippantly, “why are you still here?”
 
Kagejiro held the smile, “somehow the childish phrase `I was here first' comes ta my mind. If you can't swallow that like you do cock, then how about fuck off.”
 
InuYasha felt his teeth grind against the back of his mouth as Kikyo let out a high pitched mixture of frustration and exasperation. “Worthless, like I told you.”
 
“Beelzebub!”
 
Turning to their left, kerosene got thrown onto the fire as Miroku sauntered back into the crowd.
 
“Satan,” she hissed angrily back at the human.
 
“It's Mr. Lucifer to you,” he replied with a wide smile.
 
InuYasha turned to glance over his left shoulder at Miroku, nearly positive that Jak's Pub would no longer have a roof if both Miroku and Kagejiro began a battle of the sexes with Kikyo, when his eyes caught sight of Kagome. Frozen nearly ten feet behind her cousin, Kagome was staring at the four in front of her with a gaze of complete confusion mingled with trepidation. Looking back at his brother quickly, he realized another one of his mistakes about an hour to late.
 
*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X**X*X
 
When Kikyo had suggested a night out, Kagome had to drag herself from the spare room in Jakotsu's house to abide her cousin's wishes. She had thoughts to spend the weekend laying out on Jakotsu's back porch, tanning and swimming and possibly drinking away her worries. The night had proven most difficult with Bankotsu, and after reality had set in on her, once she was back in the safety of Jakotsu's home, she had become a mess of emotions. In her heart, she knew Bankotsu was still a threat to her and her family, but somehow Jakotsu seemed convinced that he would somehow just vanish into the night. Kagome was less optimistic. However, if agreeing currently put her fears and complete agita on hold, then she would put stock in him.
 
It wasn't until three Smirnoff's later that Kikyo had called Kagome, begging her urgently to come out with her. She had even agreed to pick Kagome up from Jakotsu's. After a great debate and losing a few IQ points to Kikyo's rationality, Kagome had begrudgingly agreed. The day then became a debacle of shopping, lunch and gossip that Kagome wanted to not be a part of. Kikyo had yammered for some time about how she hated men and how they were the root of all evil, which Kagome nodded along to. She hadn't mentioned anything about her tryst with the unidentified college student but Kagome hadn't really pressed the issue. She had skirted around any of her adventures with a few mumbled words and incoherent grunts. Then Kikyo suggested going to the Pub.
 
Now she stood, staring at the scene before her in complete confusion. Miroku and Kikyo were hollering at each other, as usual, InuYasha was staring at Miroku, or maybe it was through Miroku Kagome wasn't quite sure, and then there was another factor to the equation; the silver haired, Gold eyed demon that was sitting idle by, watching bemused as Kikyo and Miroku argued. Feeling her throat start to close, she attempted to bring logic into the situation. Why would he be here? She had warned him, justly, to keep away from her last night. She had threatened him with all of her power and all of her might. Was he a spy for Oberon? Was he here to destroy what little was left of her sanity? Feeling as if her feet had become frozen to the ground, she hardly budged when the conversation was directed at her.
 
It was a gentle tug on her arm that shook her back to reality. InuYasha was on his feet, his hand wrapped gently around her shoulder with a look of concern sketched onto his face. But there was something else, she realized silently as she turned to gaze into his eyes, something that was lingering just below the surface. It stretched into a realm beyond that of worry and concern, a look that she mimicked often when her mother would search through her closet for a shirt or a pair of pants she loaned Kagome and would come inches from her `night' clothes. It was as if she was standing on the tip of an invisible iceberg, one whose depth she could not fathom. It was sad, however, that at that present moment, she couldn't have cared what was brewing beneath those gorgeous amethyst eyes.
 
Swallowing thickly, she mumbled to InuYasha, “What?” She didn't really care what he said at the moment, she needed to know why Sha was here. Removing InuYasha's hand from her shoulder she began to slowly walk across the room, her eyes focused once more on the man before her. Hadn't she thought she had seen Miroku at the club the night before? Now he was here with Sha, at Jakotsu's; were they all connected? Had her life really become that controlled by Bankotsu that she couldn't see the conspiracy before her face? Were they all his agents? Was InuYasha a part of all of this? The thought of that was nearly too painful to bear. If Bankotsu was controlling her life to the extent it seemed, then she no longer wanted a part in it.
 
Kagejiro felt the hair on the back of his neck stand up as Kagome came within eight feet of him. Snapping around in his chair, he shot to his feet like someone lit a firecracker under his ass. Bringing one hand up to his side, the situation spiraled into a chaotic mess in seconds. A glowing green ball of light appeared in Kagejiro's hand as two very faint blue jagged lines outlined beneath his eyes. His entire body went rigid as the ball of light grew bigger. Most conversation around the room had died as all eyes turned on the demon in their presence. It was like the air was being sucked out of the room displaced by the welling energy in the man's hand.
 
One word seethed from his mouth in the darkest tone InuYasha had ever heard bellowed in his life. “Miko…”
 
InuYasha's eyes widened as he watched the scene before him. Kagejiro was powering up to do some real nasty Kahmayha-mayha waves at Kagome and once again InuYasha found himself motionless. He had known that full blooded demon's possessed some serious mojo and could inflict insane pain on whoever crossed their path.
 
In defense to Kagejiro's polar shift in attitude, Kagome's demeanor changed. Whether she meant it to or not, anyone with any type of demon blood in their veins could feel it. To InuYasha, it was like hearing high tension power lines in the back of his mind, and to a demon, it was much worse. Somewhere in Kagome's lineage was a powerful priest or priestess who knew how to handle demons. Kagome's entire aura radiated with a purification power that could harm any demon that touched her. It was a defense mechanism, InuYahsa concluded; she had done it to him the night before without fully meaning to, or at least he had hoped. Now she was targeting another demon she thought was him. Funny how much chaos he was causing in her life without even being a willing party member.
 
With Kagome going Miko on the wrong Taisho and Kagejiro raising his hair like ruffled cat, it simply spelt catastrophe. Moving quicker than he thought he could, InuYasha skid into the small closing space between the two parties. Holding out a hand in both directions, he choked on his words. He couldn't acknowledge one without blowing his cover with the other. If he told Kagome to settle down, he would insinuate that he knew she was a miko, and hence letting spew that he was a half blood in disguise. He couldn't tell Kagejiro to back down without first, letting Kagome know all things aforementioned and two, clue Kagejiro into his tangled web of doom.
 
Kagejiro never hesitated as he reached his brother. Reaching out with one hand, he shoved InuYasha to the side. If there was one thing that he despised almost as much as his father, it was anything holy. He had a long history that was muddled with blood and violence with all things religious. Time and time again, for centuries now, there was always the righteous priestess or priest who thought they could solve his `possession' with their voodoo magic. It had grown to become innate for him to flair up in arms against anything that he perceived as a danger, especially to anything Miko in nature. He had slept with a Priestess once, for giggles; after talking her down from her righteous-than-though pedestal and then defiled her in the most animalistic of ways. He had almost had his cock purified off his body. `Never goin' down that road again', he thought as he cocked his hand backwards a little more. All the wench in front of him needed to do was insinuate a threat and she would be a pile of burnt ash on the floor. He had little patience with people in general, but to be in a bar; this was ridiculous!
 
Kagome's eyes shifted with hesitation to the glowing ball of death in Kagejiro's hand to InuYasha being shoved from the path of their ascent. Now wanting to back down from this situation, she paused in her steps and did what she did best; she yelled. “What the hell are you doing here? I told you to stay the hell away from me! What are you thinking?”
 
InuYasha jumped back into the ring as Kagome began hollering at his brother. “Kagome…wait…” what could he say!? He wanted to tell her to stand down but without giving up his identity. He was royally f'ed in the A on this one.
 
Kagejiro sneered, his golden eyes darkening to a hue of honey as he stared her down. “I've taken enough shit from your kind for centuries. The hell I'm gonna stand by an' let you zap me in my own fuckin' place of sanctuary. I wouldn't come into your temple, don't come into mine.” It was a fair warning in his book; the girl was young and seemingly inexperienced. He had learned a long time back to never judge a book by its cover but he had learned how to read a person's actions. This girl was pissed and somehow, he had a feeling it was more of a personal vendetta against him as an individual rather than him as a demon. As for being a threat to his demon nature, she hadn't begun quoting the Bible, or the Koran or hell, even the Illiad yet. Maybe there was some hope that this night wouldn't take a turn for the worse.
 
Kagome hesitated; why was he acting as if they had never met? Was that his line of defense? Was Sha that ignorant to think that Kagome wouldn't recognize him? What she wanted to know was how his aura had changed from a half demon to a full demon. Maybe this was his natural form? Maybe he masqueraded as a half demon to throw people off to his identity. “Funny that you speak of places of sanctuary,” she seethed after a moment, “you had no problem at the club with that or should I remind of you of your idle hands?” Her eyes traveled to Kikyo, who stood a few feet behind the demon and she inhaled sharply. What else could she say without giving her secrets away? Sure, Kikyo knew now that it was Bankotsu who had hurt her but she knew nothing of her night alter-ego. And if Kikyo knew that she had been slutting around with a demon, the entire Higurashi family would know by morning.
 
Kagome didn't ever pretend to understand her training as a priestess. When she was younger, her grandfather (god rest his soul) had dressed her in the priestess robes and told her stories of her great grandmother who had slew demons time and again in the name of their God. She had been more interested in the butterflies in the garden rather than the lesson, but what she remembered was him telling her that it was in her blood, and when called upon, she could purify any demon who threatened their religious stability. She laughed and asked if they could play dress up again. That was the last time he had attempted to teach her. The hatred for demons that her grandfather harbored was lost on her, but however, seemed to be fully absorbed by Kikyo. Seeing the demon ready to attack her though, set her on the highest miko setting she knew.
 
Kagejiro's sneer slowly began to melt. It wasn't a threat against him rather than someone she thought he was. The lithe of a girl in front of him might have Miko blood in her, however she was very far though from being one. Letting the energy attack melt away in his hand, he lowered his arm slowly. He never would shut down his guard, but judging by her delayed reflexes, he didn't perceive her as a threat. “I don't know who you think I am,” he began, “but I can assure you, lass, that I ain't him.” Glancing behind him to the group, he eyed Kikyo for a moment before snapping back around to look at Kagome. `Wait a minute,' he began to think.
 
Kagome snorted and took a step closer to the demon. He was taller, she realized slowly with a very foreboding sense of wrongness floating in her brain. Was it possible that this wasn't Sha? `How many silver haired Adonis' are running around the tri-state area,' she thought with a grimace. “I am quite certain it's you,” she hissed with absolutely no certainty to back up her words.
 
Kagejiro took a moment to let his eyes wander up and down the girl before him before a tight smile overtook his face. Lifting his cognac eyes to meet her harsh stare, the smirk that betook his lips was swoon-worthy. “You must be Kagome,” he replied slowly.
 
Kagome blinked, wondering how the demon that was inches away from killing her a moment ago had suddenly become so brazenly flirtatious. “I'm not falling for your shit,” she said without any certainty to her voice, “but I warned you to stay the hell away from me.”
 
Kagejiro licked his lips and stole a glance at his flustered younger brother. So this is why he couldn't talk about it. “I think you have the wrong man,” with a grin, he couldn't help but add, “however if you insist that I am the man you say I am, then I am going to have to give you reason to want me stay away. I got ta warn you though, deary, that most girls beg for more. I can't say with any due certainty that I'll even drive you to hate me. In fact, you might give up your religious ways and join me on the dark side.”
 
“What is this, Star Wars,” Kagome asked. Shaking her head, she glanced to InuYasha, nearly fed up with everything. Why would InuYasha be hanging out with Sha? Why was he speaking with an Irish accent? “What the hell is going on?”
 
Clearing his throat, InuYasha attempted to enunciate the situation. “This is Kagejiro, he's…umm…he's…”
 
“A friend of his father,” Kagejiro quickly inserted.
 
Kagome took a step towards Kagejiro and lifted her hand slowly to his head. Seeing him flinch under her touch, she hesitated again. “But you had…and you were there…” shutting her mouth, she looked back to InuYasha for answers.
 
Shrugging his shoulders, a part of him was burning in hell already for not aiding her confusion. “He's a good friend,” he added after a moment, “who did you think he was?” God he felt like a tool. It didn't help the glare that he was getting from his brother on that one.
 
Kagome opened her mouth a few times and then shut it. She couldn't explain herself to InuYasha without sounding like a two-bit whore. She was already sleeping with her cousin's boyfriend, now to add on a random stranger and Bankotsu… “I…I'm sorry,” she said after a long moment. Running her hand along the top of Kagejiro's head without actually touching him, it was as if she thought his ears were cloaked. If she could find one of those fluffy little triangles, she could prove her point. “You look like…”
 
“I'm not `im,” Kagejiro delineated flatly. Glancing once around the bar, he realized how all eyes were trained on the three in the middle of the floor. “What? You'd do the same if some halfwit was threatening to fry your ass. Someone get me another fuckin' pint, and get her a drink too.”
 
Kagome blinked rapidly. “Half wit?” Taking a step forward, it seemed to light her fuse again. “You listen to me…”
 
InuYasha grabbed her arm and tugged her away from his brother. “Calm down,” he muttered to her, “think about what you're about to do. He could flatten you.”
 
Kagome yanked her arm from his and stared at the boy. “What the hell is going on? Who is he?”
 
“A friend of the family,” he said cryptically, “and he's not overtly friendly. I don't know who you think he is but I can guarantee you, he's not him.” So it was a twist but most of that was true. InuYahsa just prayed that she wouldn't figure out this charade.
 
Looking back at Kagejiro, she wasn't a hundred percent she would let this go. For the moment, however, she would abide by their rules. “Maybe,” she muttered. Walking back to Kagejiro, who had taken a seat at the bar, she apologized. “I'm sorry,” she spoke quickly, “You look a lot like a guy I've had problems with.” she said, blind to the look that Miroku shot InuYasha. “Exactly like you, minus your ears.”
 
Kagejiro eyed his brother before responding. “What can I say? Dog demon is a popular breed. Want to find out why?”
 
Kagome shook her head in shock. “Umm…no, thank you.” Turning to Kikyo, she cast her cousin a long glower. “Is there a reason we're here?”
 
Kikyo wrapped her arm around InuYasha and hugged onto her boyfriend's arm. “I can name a few.”
 
Kagejiro glanced from InuYasha to Kikyo and then to Kagome before his smile grew even wider. “So…sisters?”
 
Miroku, who had been attempting to evade Kikyo, met Kagejiro's eyes and smiled in return. “Cousins.”
 
Kagejiro nodded once, crossing his arms over his chest as the three simply stared. “It must make for interesting small talk.”
 
Kikyo snapped her attention back to the demon in their presence. “Are you really still here?”
 
Miroku ignored Kikyo, as did the rest of the world. “You know, it's not as widely discussed as you may think it is.”
 
Glancing above the witch next to him, Kagejiro watched how quickly InuYasha enraptured himself in Kagome's presence. Letting his eyes slide back to Kikyo, he laughed lowly and ordered a round of shots. “Here's ta one `ell of an interesting night, May she never gain a set of eyes and see what is obvious.”
 
With a smile, Miroku drank to that.
 
*X*X*X*X*X*XX*X*X*X*X**X*XX**X*X*X*XX*X*X*X*X*X
 
:: hides:: I am so sorry that this took forever to put up. I've been having hell trying to get this polished and completed. The traveling back and forth and never home really puts a kink in the writing. Hopefully things will settle down once I move to a more finite location and am not trekking the garden state parkway daily. I also apologize for any grammatical errors; I feel as if I stare at this computer any longer, I will go cross eyed. I don't have the extra time now to post answers or feedback to reviews, but I honestly appreciate it all!!! You guys have kept me writing this story for longer than you know. I love you all and am really sorry it's taken so long to update.