InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Shrine Prostitute ❯ Concession ( Chapter 25 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Shrine Prostitute by FlameTwirler
 
~ ~ ~
 
Chapter 24: Concession
----- Something, such as a right, a privilege, or a point previously claimed in argument, that is later conceded
----- An acknowledgment or admission

~ ~ ~
 
“Don't worry!” Kagome chided. “You'll get along fine with Sango and Miroku. Sango's a good friend and Miroku…well, they're both good people, even if Miroku is a bit, erm, `friendly'.”
 
Inuyasha growled. “If he's friendly with you I'll rip his hands off.”
 
She glanced at him sideways. “Why Inuyasha, are you saying you'll be on your guard to protect my virtue?” The irony of that statement made his lips quirk and he immediately loosened up, as she'd hoped. “Besides, if he's lived this long he must be smart enough to know when to cool it. I seriously doubt he'd want to take you on, even on his best day.”
 
She felt a little guilty for taking so many shots at Miroku, especially since he wasn't there to defend himself, but knew he wouldn't mind since it was in good humor and it was serving to pull Inuyasha out of the sullen mood he'd been in all day while preparing for this outing of theirs.
 
Giving Inuyasha one last look over she straightened his hat before grasping the doorknob. “You ready then?”
 
He nodded and they left the room. Even just being out in the hall with him felt a good bit less safe than his room, but she figured that was more for fear of who they might run into than anything else. She knew first-hand how this town treated their honored tetsudai, but that obviously hadn't gone far in calming Inuyasha's nerves, guessing by how tense he looked just walking next to her. Or maybe it was just the idea of meeting her friends that had him this riled up - after all, his last meeting with one of her acquaintances hadn't exactly gone over well.
 
Either way she knew he had to get out of that room of his at least every now and again and this was the perfect opportunity. It was summer, there were festival preparations underway, she had friends present, and there was a gelato shop in town she'd heard rave reviews about and was dying to try. She knew Inuyasha would love it as well - not that he'd ever admit it, of course.
 
She reached out to take his hand but he just ignored it and walked stiffly out into the foyer where they were to meet Sango and Miroku. Musing that he must not want to appear dependent on anyone she just shook her head. It was certainly going to be an interesting day.
 
Luckily Miroku was already in the lobby so Inuyasha didn't have any more time to stew, but Sango was nowhere to be seen. Since her friend had been scheduled to arrive a half-hour earlier Kagome cocked an eyebrow at Miroku. He raised his hands innocently then gestured out the door where they could see a figure pacing in the front gardens.
 
Kagome turned to face him directly, hands on hips. “Miroku, why is Sango waiting outside instead of in here, where there's shade and a fan going?”
 
He shrugged, but his devilish grin gave him away. “Something about how she couldn't control herself around me. I'm simply too much man for a beautiful maiden such as herself.”
 
“Yeah,” she said sarcastically. “I'm sure that she's the one who was lacking in self control.” She started outside toward her friend and the other two followed.
 
“Really, what would you expect of me? She's a beautiful woman, an oasis in the desert - the very old, very dry desert - for a wanderer such as myself.”
 
“Desert?” Inuyasha interjected, at a loss.
 
“Oh!” Kagome jumped. “I haven't even really introduced you two! I'm so sorry. Anyhow, Miroku, this is Inuyasha, my, erm, tetsudai. Inuyasha, this is Miroku. I never really did explain to you why Miroku's here. He, um…well, he…” Kagome fought with how to explain his predicament clearly enough without risking offending the man. She considered him pretty laid back but honestly, she'd really only known him a couple days.
 
Miroku waved her concerns aside. “Don't worry about it Kagome,” he said to her before turning to Inuyasha. “I got suited with sexual harassment, wrongly of course - there's nothing wrong with a little flirting and groping - so as punishment I was sent here to be a plaything for the little old biddies.”
 
Kagome fidgeted between the two of them, her eyes bouncing back and forth as she nervously motioned Sango to join them. Then the last thing she would have expected to happen did: Inuyasha started howling. It wasn't just a small laugh, but bone-deep belly laughs that had him bent over, wheezing for breath. He kept trying to say something but every time he'd pull himself together enough to manage a syllable he broke into laughter again. All he managed to get out was a, “You…” chortle, “…old…” snort, “…OLD!”
 
They all stared at him in astonishment as he gloated over the predicament of a man he'd just met but his humor was contagious and before long they were all chuckling along. Kagome had once glanced nervously at Miroku to see how he was taking it and, though he tried to look stern, she could see he was amused at having provided such an entertainment to the hanyou he knew only tragic things about.
 
The three of them waited patiently while Inuyasha composed himself, standing back up straight as he rubbed at his jaw as if his cheeks were sore from laughing for so long. “So, you and the-” He paused and took a deep breath, as if he had to control himself to keep from falling into hysterics again. “While that is probably the most creative punishment I've ever heard of, ain't that a bit harsh just for sexual harassment?”
 
Just sexual harassment?” Sango glowered at him but he just returned the look full force.
 
He shrugged. “Coming from where I do, sexual harassment in the form of a grope doesn't seem like that big a deal.”
 
Oh, Sango mouthed silently, and though her resolve softened she didn't back down. As she watched their interaction, Kagome could've sworn that made Inuyasha's opinion of her friend go up a notch.
 
“What I'm saying is that - hey, how long you been here?” he directed the last at Miroku.
 
“I'll be finishing my two year sentence here in little over a month,” he said calmly.
 
They all turned to gape at him. This seems to be a theme. Well, at least it's an interesting and informative first meeting. Hope I don't give them any reason to turn and stare at me next, Kagome thought.
 
“Two years!” Sango exclaimed.
 
“Hah! My point exactly!” jumped in Inuyasha. “I don't see how one case of sexual harassment - which likely wasn't too severe since they didn't send him to rot in prison or term it a fucking rape - could deserve two full years of this.” He spread his arm out in a wide sweeping gesture that indicated the whole of the Shrine.
 
Sango glanced his way to acknowledge she'd heard him but mostly kept her eyes trained on Miroku. “What on earth could warrant a punishment like this? What exactly did you do?”
 
Miroku sighed wistfully, his eyes turning dreamy. “I had come across a lovely young woman and was enchanted immediately. I knew that the kamis had finally blessed this poor wanderer and had sent him this woman to ease his troubled soul.” They all rolled their eyes - except for Sango who'd honed a rather exceptional glare - at his rapturous soliloquy.
 
“Cut to the point, Miroku,” Sango cut in.
 
“Patience, my dear Sango, patience,” he chided, and though she did hold her tongue she did not appear happy. “As I was saying, I wondered if this could be the one woman the kamis send a man to complete him and live a life together with him in harmony. As such, I asked her if she would condescend to be the mother of my children.”
 
Kagome choked. “And you'd known this woman how long?”
 
He pondered this a moment. “Oh, I think about two minutes.”
 
It was Sango's turn to choke.
 
“But really, it's not the matter of time that's important but two souls recognizing each other.”
 
“I take it her soul didn't recognize yours?” Inuyasha asked wryly.
 
Miroku shook his head sadly. “That she did not. She slapped me away, railed at me for being a hentai, and that was that.”
 
Sango looked uniformly unimpressed. “You're telling me you just asked the nice lady a question and she took you to court? I sincerely doubt it. Now what aren't you telling us?”
 
“Well, I did have to check her qualifications for motherhood.”
 
“Her qualifications?” Kagome repeated, already knowing where this was headed.
 
“Yes. The size of her hips, for instance. And after that if my hands just happened to wander down to her backside, well, that was just instinct.”
 
Sango pinched the bridge of her nose and shook her head. “So you felt her up and propositioned her, but I still don't understand how that could warrant two years of old women as punishment.”
 
Inuyasha snorted again but managed to retain his composure, mostly, and Sango snapped her head up to look at Miroku as she was hit by a sudden thought. “Both your clothes were on at all times, weren't they?”
 
“Of course, of course,” he answered, hands held up defensively at the aggression he felt coming off her at that question. “I just like to know how a woman feels - prospective wife and all that, you know?”
 
To Kagome's further amazement Sango actually blushed and she had to wonder if Sango had been on the receiving end of any of those `testing' gropes. “That still doesn't explain anything then,” she said.
 
“Well…” he hedged, looking up at the sky and scratching his chin. “It may have been helped along by the fact that I'm a monk.”
 
There was stunned silence for a moment, everyone trying to figure out if he was telling the truth or not. Finally, Kagome just voiced it. “You can't be serious.”
 
“That I am,” he confirmed. Inuyasha snickered again and she knew he was a lost cause as he fell again into riotous laughter. She let loose a few chuckles, and even Sango couldn't hold back a laugh, but for the most part Kagome was still just confused. Once Inuyasha had quieted down enough that they could hear over him she turned on Miroku.
 
“I still don't get it. If you're a monk why would they put you here instead of sending you on a monastic retreat or something like that?”
 
Inuyasha leaned heavily on Kagome's shoulder to support himself and answered for him. “Don't you get it? He's a holy man and a horny bastard - so what better to do than to send him where he can be both those things at the same time with the Shrine's blessing?”
 
At that he collapsed back into laughter, the others joining along softly, though in part simply amused by his reaction. Kagome wiped her eyes, feeling slightly guilty again for taking so much humor from a situation that really couldn't be pleasant for Miroku, yet it seemed almost as if he were trying to make it seem humorous to them. “Still seems a bit extreme, in my opinion, but I'm guessing this wasn't the first time this situation had arisen with you.”
 
“Of course not,” he scoffed. “You never know who the mother of your future children might be so you have to feel them out.” He waggled his eyebrows and Kagome just shook her head. “If you try for every beautiful woman that crosses your path then there's no chance that you missed her, is there? But then again, none of them can compare to the strength and beauty of our dear Sango, so maybe it was all for naught anyhow.”
 
He turned to look at Sango, a grin and a lascivious look on his face - which made for a very odd combination - but she just considered him stoically, as if taking his measure. “You know, I just can't figure you out. I can't tell if you really are just this oblivious or if this is all just some elaborate private joke that only you are in on.”
 
Suddenly all the effervescence, all the gaiety and appearance of a man with no cares in the world fled, and what was left was a momentary glimpse of the man behind the facade, of the barest essence of himself. He took her hand in his and raised it to his lips. “If we play our cards right, Sango, you may still yet find out. You may just yet.”
 
Kagome carefully backed away, pulling Inuyasha with her, not wanting to intrude on the sudden intimacy of their moment. Once they were a few steps away she turned and started down the street slowly enough to give the other two time to catch up. Yet only a moment later a loud `thwack!' split the air and Sango came huffing after them.
 
They spun and saw Miroku, a goofy smile on his face, rubbing a very red cheek. As Sango passed them Inuyasha said dryly, “Let me guess - instinct, right?” She paused momentarily, her glare hot enough to singe concrete, then kept on marching. He shrugged. “Don't think you did yourself any favours there, bouzo!” he called back to Miroku.
 
Kagome just shook her head and chuckled as Miroku strolled past. He made it seem like a laid-back, ambling walk, but the fact that he still passed the two of them was telling enough. When he caught up to Sango and the two started to bicker Kagome made to go over to them but Inuyasha grabbed her arm and pulled her along with him. Shrugging she left the two to their flirtation-argument.
 
“So, is there anywhere in particular you wanted to go?” she asked him.
 
“Nah, I don't care.”
 
Her eyebrows furrowed. “Have you been many places around town?”
 
He answered in the negative but the way he turned his head away let her know he was sore about the fact he hadn't been around much. “Don't worry so much, they love tetsudai around here. Besides, there are some great places I want to show you, and what with them preparing for the festival coming up there should be all sorts of shops open, despite it being daytime. Come on,” she said, grabbing his hand, “there's a gelato shop a few streets up that I just know you'll love.”
 
Hearing Miroku and Sango coming up behind them Inuyasha quickly pulled his hand away from Kagome's but she just shook her head and hid a smile. She really couldn't fault him. He was a guy meeting new people so he was bound to be a bit self-conscious.
 
The four of them wandered for a little while, just enjoying the ambience of the festival atmosphere as decorations were being put up, making the streets even more jumbled and crowded than normal. After a while the amount of people crammed into such confined spaces was obviously getting to Inuyasha so Kagome tried leading them down an alleyway, hoping to find it emptier, but cursed her luck when it was packed even more, jamming them all together. Not that Miroku was complaining, as he was touching anyone pretty that happened to be within reach. Sango was finally convinced to hold his hand just to keep him from groping any other passers-by.
 
When they emerged from the alley Kagome was surprised to see the gelato shop right in front of them, just on the other side of the street. She hadn't even realized that shortcut existed! Turning she studied where they'd just come from, hoping she'd be able to remember it for future use. Satisfied her memory of the place was as good as it was going to get she spun back to the shop across the street and squealed, “Gelato!” Inuyasha actually winced at the sound and she instantly started apologizing for her gaffe.
 
“Really Kagome, dessert? But what about lunch? You'll spoil your appetite.” Miroku wagged his finger at her just like her mother would - actually worse since her mom was so carefree about most things - and she automatically reverted to child-mode and stuck her tongue out at him.
 
Miroku laughed and Inuyasha either snorted or tried to choke his own chortle - she couldn't tell which - and she instantly flushed. “So- so what?” she stammered. “This stuff is amazing and this shop's supposed to be one of the best. Just wait `til you have some - then you'll see.” Flustered she tugged on Inuyasha's sleeve, leading him toward the shop, but he stopped dead in his tracks.
 
“Hell no - ain't no way you're getting me in there with that crowd of stinkin', sweaty humans.”
 
Looking back at the shop Kagome groaned, realizing he was right. Not only was it nearing a festival but it was hot out too, so the place was packed. There were tourists, families, teens and kids on summer break…it seemed like everyone in town was there and the lines were so long they were snaking out the doors.
 
“Fine. You can wait here and I'll get you some. Which kind would you like?”
 
He shrugged, his gaze narrowing as he scanned the cups the other patrons were leaving with.
 
“Okay, I'll just pick something for you then.” She turned to Sango and Miroku. “You guys coming?”
 
Sango went to follow her but Miroku grabbed her arm and pulled her back. “We'll catch up with you.”
 
Kagome hesitated a moment, shooting them a curious glance, but then continued on her way. After all, the gelato was calling. Miroku turned back to Inuyasha, his eyes probing.
 
“What?!” Inuyasha snapped, immediately defensive.
 
“You know, regardless of whether or not you accept it, she's already lost to you.”
 
“What the hell are you talking about?”
 
“Oh, I'm sure you'll figure it out. Just please be careful with her.” With that he walked to join Kagome in the shop, pulling a stunned and confused Sango with him. Inuyasha was squawking indignantly behind them, hurling insults at Miroku, but they paid him no heed and, because of the crowd, he made no move to follow.
 
“What was that all about?” Sango hissed.
 
“I assume part of why you wanted to meet him was to see what your friend was becoming so focused on and to see if the same was true in reverse.”
 
“Yes, but we just met the guy and from how Kagome has described him, and what we've seen of his life, I'd say he's entitled to be a bit standoffish. At least at first,” she amended when Miroku gave her a soft smile. “What?” she asked suspiciously.
 
“Nothing. I just didn't know you could be so magnanimous.” She started to smile until he added, “I mean, you haven't been so generous and kind to me.”
 
Her face deadpanned. “Well, first of all, Inuyasha has never tried to grope me.”
 
Miroku scoffed. “I should hope not - Kagome's the lovely girl who gets that job benefit.” He waggled his eyebrows and she rolled her eyes. “Besides, you came to meet me at my place of work, so what was I supposed to think?”
 
“That doesn't explain why you're still trying it.”
 
“Your beauty, dear Sango, is all the reason I need.”
 
“Right,” she said dryly, plucking his hand from her hip.
 
He coughed, hiding a grin. “And second?”
 
She looked at him blankly.
 
“You said, `in the first place,' so I assume you have another point?”
 
“Of course I do,” she snapped. “He has no real say over his placement here, no power to gain fair treatment. You, on the other hand, your situation is entirely your own fault.”
 
“It sounds like you've made up your mind then.”
 
“My wha-?” She stared at him strangely, like he'd suddenly sprouted an extra appendage.
 
“You just said he deserves equal treatment, despite being hanyou, and that his situation is unjust. It sounds as though you've made up your mind about him - well, about that part at least.”
 
“I,” her mouth opened and closed a few times. “I never said that exactly.”
 
“No,” he agreed, “but you inferred it.”
 
“Wow, you're right,” she whispered, half in wonder. “Hey, how did you realize that before I did?” she demanded.
 
He shrugged. “I've been watching you.”
 
She quirked an eyebrow even as she increased the distance between them slightly. “So? I've been watching you too and I have no idea what you're thinking.”
 
Smirking, he drew her closer and she stiffened. “Why Sango,” he purred, “I'm flattered you've been giving me so much of your attention.”
 
Shrugging him off, she huffed. “Of course I was. I told you when I first arrived that I was curious about you, your conditions, and the specifics of your situation.”
 
“So you'd better understand how the Shrine works and how the hanyou's conditions compare.”
 
“Yes, I-” She cut herself off and landed him with a glare.
 
He chuckled at her startled expression. “Don't worry so much.”
 
“And why shouldn't I? You still haven't told me where you stand on this whole situation.”
 
“Shouldn't that be obvious?”
 
She thought about it, about his willingness to help them the night they'd found Inuyasha in that condition, keeping quiet about it and doing whatever needed to be done. Then she considered how he'd treated Inuyasha on their outing so far, as any other guy - even going so far as to tease him and chastise him - and she realized that yes, it was quite obvious. “It's still good to hear it confirmed,” she groused.
 
“Well then, let me allay your worries and tell you I feel much the same as you must. Though as cruel as it may sound, I do have to admit that I'm glad the situation happened as it did. After all, that's how I got to meet you.” His look turned slightly leering again and Sango braced herself, knowing which direction he must be taking the conversion. “That Inuyasha is a most interesting character.”
 
Then fully prepared to fend off his advances, she spluttered at the sudden change in direction. “Inu-Inuyasha?” Catching the wicked gleam in his eyes she suddenly knew he'd been angling for just that reaction and so decided her best option was to ignore the quick switch completely. She got a smug sense of satisfaction when her lack of further reaction caused him to look disappointed.
 
“So, if you like him so much, what was that all about back there?”
 
“Ah, that,” he said, eyes sparkling. “Every man needs a fire lit under him every now and again.”
 
She was dubious but nodded, willing to let it go.
 
Considering the nature of their conversation they'd strayed to a secluded corner just outside the shop, knowing the noise in all the hustle and bustle of the street traffic would cover the sounds of their hushed discussion. Now, though, Miroku led her along, pushing his way through the crowd on his quest to find gelato. When he snuck in next to Kagome, however, who was near the front since she'd been in line for the whole time, Sango hissed at him. “We can't jump in here!”
 
“Why not?” he asked innocently, as if she'd be fooled.
 
“It's not right. Besides, all the people behind her are glaring at us now.”
 
Miroku peeked his head around to look behind her. “You know, I do believe you're right. It looks like one lady is even sharpening something as she's staring at your back.” He pulled her to him and twisted them around so his back was to said lady. “Never fear, Sango, I shall protect you.”
 
Kagome giggled as Sango rolled her eyes. “I can protect myself very well, thank you. Actually, I'm sure I could do a better job than you could.”
 
Miroku quirked an eyebrow at Kagome who nodded in confirmation. If anything that just intrigued him more. He smiled down into her face. “Well, well, it seems I've found myself an Amazon. In that case, you can protect me.”
 
Sango shrugged out of his hold. “You haven't found yourself anything. I'm going to wait my turn over here,” she indicated the shortest of the four lines. “You can either accompany me or you can get your dessert and wait for me outside.”
 
He smirked and sidled up to her. “I think you just offered me an invitation.”
 
She didn't even bother to respond, just walked over to her line and stood waiting, arms crossed. Miroku tipped his head at Kagome, who laughed at their antics, then went over to join her, leaving Kagome alone just in time for her to place her order.
 
Since she really had no idea what Inuyasha would like, especially since she didn't know if his palette differed because of either his youkai or specifically inu heritage, she bought five different types and got them all together in a cardboard carrying case. Besides, if he actually liked the stuff he'd probably end up eating it all anyhow and asking for more. After thanking the clerk she headed back outside to where Inuyasha was probably fuming at having to wait for so long.
 
When she stepped out into the sun she had to scan the crowded streets to find where he'd gone, since he wasn't standing where they'd left him. No surprise there though, since it had been out in the open and there were likely many people crashing into him where he'd stood. When she finally spotted him it made her glad for the bright red of his outfit, making her able to identify him where he was down the street on the edge of a small park, sitting in a tree. She smiled at the picture he made and bounced down the steps to go meet him.
 
Only a few feet away though she was accosted by a stranger. He got into step with her and started poking at her cups of gelato. “Aw, sweetheart, that was nice of you to go get that for all of us so we didn't have to wait in line.”
 
She wrinkled her brow, confused. “All of us?” No sooner had she spoken than five or six more guys - ranging from 15 to 25 she guessed - stepped out around her, though it was hard to tell the exact number since the crowd was still constantly moving around them. She tried to sidestep but another of the guys blocked her path.
 
“Come on, little girl, don't you want to play with us?”
 
She bristled. “First, I'm not a little girl, I'm probably older than some of you.” They `oh'ed in false admiration and she had to work not to scream in frustration. “And what's more, no, I don't want to `play' with you. I have someone to meet who will be quite upset if he doesn't get his dessert. So play nice like the good little boys that you are and let me by.”
 
A third guy apparently didn't take being called `little' any better than she did and he was instantly in her face, his physical presence overbearing though his demeanor was cajoling. “Now what's with that attitude when we're being so nice and keeping you company?” He turned to his friends. “I bet she isn't even meeting anyone and all this posturing is just to keep us talking to her longer. In fact, I bet she's really, really lonely,” he ended in baby talk.
 
She stared at him deadpan, less than impressed and working to not let her frustration show lest she make the whole situation even more amusing for them. “Listen, I'm out here with my tetsudai. Just leave me be before he gets comes looking for me and takes offense to you harassing his client.” She'd hoped bringing in the Shrine's influence would help her out but, judging by their faces, it wasn't the reaction she'd hoped for.
 
“So, you came out to visit the great Bacana Shrine, eh? What'dya say boys? I knew she was the kind who'd like to have a little fun.” The look he gave her wasn't quite a leer but so she was having trouble figuring out if he was really implying what she thought he was, but she really didn't want to wait around to find out. As her foot caught on the curb she realized she hadn't been aware that she'd been moving, but they were herding her backward into an alley. And, unfortunately, unlike the one she'd chosen earlier, this one was much emptier than the rest of the street.
 
She scanned the street quickly for Inuyasha, desperate to extricate herself from the situation before he became involved. She needed to get out of this situation, and now, especially before any of them actually touched her, or whenever Inuyasha did find her he might go into a rage. While her attention was split between searching for that spot of bright red - which to her dismay was no longer in the tree - and the guy who'd been doing most of the talking so far, another grabbed her arm, making her panic. “Let go!” she shouted, swinging the cardboard carrier at him.
 
Her shout, and the resulting ruckus that ensued when she landed her hit and gelato rained all over the man's head, finally attracted the attention of a goodly number of people passing by on the street. None of them bothered to intervene and help her though; they all just stood uncomfortably, watching the drama unfold from a distance.
 
The rest of the guys laughed as the cold dessert dripped down his face, which Kagome hoped meant that he could laugh it off as well, but of course she wasn't that lucky. “Shut the fuck up!” he snapped at his friends, prompting them to taper off into snickers then finally quiet as they noticed his reaction, staring at him speculatively. Fists clenched at his sides she could see him actually starting to vibrate in fury.
 
“You…little…BITCH!!” he seethed, gradually increasing in volume until he was shouting the last word, effectively grabbing the attention of the other people on the street who hadn't already noticed their scuffle. He swung wildly at her but the gelato had trickled down into his face and eyes, blurring his vision, and Kagome was able to dodge away and block the rest of the blow. She dared not take her eyes off him but her senses were honed to the others around her, wondering if they were going to follow their buddy's example.
 
One stepped forward, crowding her in and keeping her from running, but the rest hung back. “Man, that's so not cool,” she heard one of them mutter. Not doing anything to stop it though, are you tough guy? she groused. Everyone wants to just sit on the sidelines and complain but no one will ever step up and actually do anything! Stupid, docile, apathetic people!
 
While gelato-man was wiping off his face she took the time to try and bluff her way out one more time. “The tetsudai I'm with isn't human,” not a lie and she could talk around his being hanyou, “and you're going to be in enough trouble with him already. He'll be pissed for your harassing me, your touching me, but that'll be nothing compared to your trying to hit me.”
 
Please buy it, please buy it, she silently prayed, and when his eyes scanned the crowd still staring at them she could see the battle playing within him between which way his pride would push him. Would he prefer to be seen as a coward who walks away when the opponent is potentially much tougher than he is, or would he prefer to be seen as the jerk who doesn't mind getting rough with a girl? When his eyes hardened she cursed her rotten luck.
 
Immediately she started backing up. She'd make a run for it, hide in the crowd, lose him in the mash of people and labyrinth of streets. Inuyasha would be able to track her down, no problem, but she couldn't let him find her like this. Before she could make her getaway though the guy who'd been blocking her path, the one she'd been hoping she could make a feint around, grabbed her firmly by the arms, halting her momentum.
 
“Oh no, you can't be serious,” she whispered, dread pooling in her gut, because she knew before her attacker even raised his hand that the hit would never land. He yelled, charging at her, but Kagome felt her clothes rustle at someone else's quick movement and the blow meant for her never came. She cursed the stupid group of immature idiots to hell and back for getting her, and thereby him, involved in this, because there stood Inuyasha, hand wrapped around the fist her attacker, effectively holding him in place. Even if he hadn't been physically restraining the man, the rage rolling off him in waves would paralyze most lesser men, and her attacker was most certainly one of them as he stared in open-mouthed horror.
 
Inuyasha didn't say a word, just tightened his hold on the man's hand and pitched him across the alley where he landed hard and slumped against the wall with a dazed look about him before finally collapsing completely into unconsciousness. The others fled instantly save for the one man who'd earlier been trying to cow her with his presence. He took stock of Inuyasha, staring at the ears that proudly proclaimed his hanyou heritage. Next time I'm getting him a hat with a chin strap! Kagome vowed, wondering when the cap she'd given him had fallen off. The man looked Inuyasha up and down, sizing him up, but as soon as Inuyasha turned the full force of his fury on him he also gave up and ran after his buddies, knocking people over in his haste to get away.
 
By then they'd all well scattered but if Kagome knew anything she guessed Inuyasha had already likely pinned each and every one of them by scent and would track them all down if she didn't stop him. He took one step after the last one who'd fled and she lunged for him, grabbing hold of his sleeve. “Inuyasha?” she breathed and instantly all his focus was on her. He gingerly grasped her shoulders to pull her toward him, as if afraid he himself would hurt her, his hands running all over to ensure she wasn't wounded anywhere.
 
She pulled back from him slightly, cupping his cheeks and pulling his eyes to hers. “I'm fine, really. They never got the chance to do anything and you stopped them before it got serious. In fact I don't think any of them really intended to do anything serious except for the one you took care of. It's all okay.” Only now, seeing her hands on him, did she realize she was trembling slightly. From the look on Inuyasha's face he was quite aware of that fact as well.
 
“It's not fucking okay. They tried to hurt you and that's plenty to warrant me going after `em and beating `em all senseless.”
 
“Inuyasha, wait!” Kagome pleaded, latching onto his sleeve. “Stay here with me, please?”
 
His jaw unclenched slightly at her words. “Oh, yeah, `course.”
 
“I mean it, please don't go after them. I don't want you in trouble because of me.”
 
“What, you think I couldn't kick their pathetic asses?”
 
“No, I meant it more in reference to,” she sighed, pointing to the policeman weaving his way through the crowd, “that.”
 
“What's going on here?!” he barked at them. He'd obviously heard the commotion and had a good idea what had happened, which went some way toward explaining the censure in his eyes. That look turned to outright contempt though when his gaze landed on Inuyasha's ears.
 
Kagome stepped forward, trying to pull the cop's attention to her. “I was getting harassed by a group of guys and Inuyasha here was kind enough to step in and save me.”
 
“Harassed?” he asked, clearly dubious. “I don't see anyone around.”
 
“That's because, as I stated, Inuyasha stepped in and scared them off. They all ran except for the one guy sprawled on the pavement over there.”
 
The policeman spun to see who she was indicating and the crowd parted to give him a clear view. “You knocked him out cold,” he said, half in wonder, before coming back to himself. “Something that drastic doesn't seem like it could have been self-defense. Besides,” he sneered, “who's ever heard of a hanyou stepping in to save anyone?”
 
Kagome glared at him, hands on hips. “When was the last time you dealt with any hanyou, huh? Have you ever? How can you simply assume they're only self-serving if you've never met one? And even if you have met one or two -that's not enough to judge an entire race.”
 
The cop cut her off with a slash of his arm. “That's enough, miss. It's my job to ensure the safety of this town and its inhabitants, and all I can see is that your hanyou over there caused enough damage to that man,” he pointed with his thumb over his shoulder, “to clean his block. He's going to have to go to the station with me as a possible threat and menace to society at large.”
 
Kagome gaped at him, glancing back hastily at Inuyasha as he growled under his breath. “You're going to do what?! You have no proof of anything, other than a vindictive need to assume the worst of him because of his race, which is profiling, not police work. Besides, as I mentioned, he saved me from that gang over there. If anything you should be going after them to keep them from harassing other members of your precious society today.” She glanced beseechingly at the crowd, knowing any of them could verify her claim, but they all averted their eyes when she tried to catch their gazes.
 
“Sorry, miss,” the policeman said, his tone cold after her outburst, “but your speech doesn't change the situation at all. Unless you'd like to accompany your friend to the station I suggest you step aside.”
 
Desperate, she tried one last thing. “You know, you'll be getting yourself into a lot of trouble if you do this. He's a tetsudai at the Bacana Shrine, one of their most sought after workers actually, and the Shrine will have your hide if you take him to jail for protecting his client and end up costing them money for the extra time they'll have to compensate me for.”
 
The cop actually laughed. “You are one horrible liar, girl. Like the honorable Bacana Shrine would employ anything as dirty as a hanyou. Who would pay for such a creature?” He shook his head, caught somewhere between bemused and amused. “Really, you should have at least thought of a better story than that.”
 
“Fine then,” she said haughtily, sticking her nose in the air and grasping Inuyasha's hand, “I guess you'll just have to take us both and deal with all the unfortunate consequences later.” She squeezed his hand, a reminder that she'd stick by his side no matter what, and took a quick glance at his face, worried that he'd been so silent through everything. His features looked like they'd been carved in stone, his hand cold in hers, like he was cutting himself off from everything outside of him. She cursed the cop for what he was doing to him.
 
The policeman approached, hesitated for a moment as if unsure whether to touch Inuyasha or not. Before he could decide Kagome shook her head. “He could break your handcuffs like paper if he wished, so your hold won't do much either.”
 
He pulled back for a moment, considered, then grabbed onto Kagome's wrist very lightly while keeping an eye on Inuyasha. “Then I'll lead you and you'll lead him.”
 
Before they took a single step though a high pitched voice rang out over the now unnaturally silent street. “Mommy, why is that man leading the good guy away?” All three heads snapped toward the direction of a voice, finding a small boy, about five years old, tugging on the skirt of an older woman. “Mommy?”
 
Seeing as he was getting no response from her the child turned to his father, latching onto his hand and pulling hard, trying to get a better answer. “Daddy, didn't you say it's wrong to bully and that bullies are the bad guys?” When his father didn't answer immediately the boy pulled harder, asking again, “Didn't you?”
 
“Ye-yes, son,” the man answered hesitantly, obviously uncomfortable.
 
“That guy saved the girl, so that makes him the hero, right?” The boy didn't wait for a response this time, just spoke faster and faster. “The other ones were the bad guys so why isn't Mr. Policeman going after them? Cops are good guys too, right? So he should want to protect the nice lady too, right? So if the cop is good and the hero guy is good then why aren't they getting along? Where is the cop trying to take the hero? He is a hero, isn't he daddy?”
 
They could all see the dilemma playing across the man's face. He'd obviously spoken at length to his son about bullying, right and wrong, and good verses evil, but hadn't yet passed on his aversion - if one could judge the look on his face - of hanyou. Still, how to explain that to a five year old? His son wouldn't understand, so either he could have his son see him standing up for the `hero' or standing up for the `bullies'. There were no other options for him just then.
 
He let out a little bit of a sigh but couldn't prevent a smile as he picked his son up in his arms, mussing his hair a bit. “My son is right.” The boy beamed. “The-” He paused, changed his wording. “That guy there, he stepping in when the lady was being picked on by that gang of boys. No one else stepped in so he really had no choice as things looked like they were about to get serious. He really was a hero.”
 
Both Kagome and the policeman gaped at the announcement, but a quick glance at Inuyasha showed he was still stone-faced. However, after the father made his proclamation, backing Inuyasha, so did his wife. Then so did someone else in another section of the crowd, shouting, “Yeah man, you should really be out there chasing those hooligans, or at least arresting the one lying there on the pavement. They really are a menace and this isn't the first time I've seen them prowling the streets.”
 
This sent off more sparks of agreement, support for Inuyasha, barbs at others who didn't step in to save Kagome earlier, and then finally someone started in with applause. Kagome was stunned, her head jerking up to see the little boy who'd started the whole thing cheering heartily as his `hero' was vindicated. His family was smiling up at him, clapping along, and a few others spread around even joined in as well. It certainly didn't filter across the entire crowd but there was enough sound generated that it turned a few heads of passers-by who hadn't already craned their necks to see what was going on.
 
Only then did Miroku and Sango finally show up. Miroku popped an elbow up on the policeman's shoulder, leaning against him, and grinned like he hadn't a care in the world. “Ah, Kagome, Inuyasha, we've been wondering where you two got off to. Should've guessed you'd somehow be in the middle of all of this.”
 
The cop spluttered. “Miroku-sama,” he deferred and Kagome was amazed at the amount of respect the man was showing him. It was much more like what she'd experienced out in the town with Kouga and must be the treatment more typical to Shrine workers. “You know these two?”
 
“But of course. Kagome is my good friend and Inuyasha is my fellow tetsudai. Didn't they tell you?”
 
Kagome turned on him, crossed her arms, and glared with a look of `I told you so.' The policeman looked back and forth between them, obviously having trouble believing what they were saying. “You're kidding me, right?”
 
Miroku shrugged. “Not at all. In fact, if you want to know a secret…” He leaned in closely to the man's ear. “Now, don't let this information slip out to the general public, but Inuyasha here is actually even more popular than yours truly. I know, I know,” he said, putting his hands up, “it's impossible to believe anyone could be more sought after than myself, but he is actually one of the most highly requested and most exclusive tetsudai in the Shrine. Say,” he said, as if just wising up to the situation, “just what were you planning on doing with him anyhow? His schedule has been rather full as of late and I'm sure the Shrine would be most unhappy to have any of their clients or workers detained for any reason. Is everything alright?”
 
The policeman's face crumbled into disbelieving laughter. “Now I know you're pulling my leg. No way all that's true.” Only when his guffaws died to chuckles did he look at Miroku's face and see the tetsudai wasn't joining in. His shock shut him up immediately and then he studied Miroku's face further, scrutinizing.
 
“Are you doubting my word, sir?” Miroku said in a deadly calm that had them all on edge.
 
“N-no. Not at all, sir! I just know you like to pull your pranks every now and then and keep everyone laughing. I mean, really, how could a hanyou like that be a tetsudai, and one more popular than yourself?!”
 
Miroku slapped his hand over the man's mouth. “Need I remind you I asked you to keep that quiet?” he reminded him, giving a meaningful glance at the crowd around them.
 
The cop eyed him carefully, as if he couldn't decide what to believe, when Kagome heard a voice calling across the crowd that made her outright groan.
 
“Kagome!” Kouga shouted as he gave up pushing his way through the crowd and simply jumped over it. He grasped her hand immediately, even as the three humans gaped in surprise. Inuyasha's further lack of reaction now had her even more worried. “So, how's my woman?”
 
“Kouga-sama!” The policeman nearly tripped in his hurry to extricate himself from Miroku's grip and bow properly to the tetsudai. “You know these people?”
 
“Of course!” he grinned. “This here,” he threw an arm around Kagome's shoulders, “is one day going to be my woman. That guy,” he pointed at Miroku, “works at the Shrine as well. I can't say I recall ever meeting him but I recognize his smell, though I must say for once you don't smell like old woman!” He grinned again, Miroku shrugged, and the policeman gaped. “Dog boy here works at the Shrine as well, but why someone would choose to see him when they could have a purebred like me is beyond my guessing. Then this woman…” He turned to Sango and sniffed at her closely. “Can't say as I know her but she smells like Kagome, and any friend of hers is a friend of mine. Now what's going on here?”
 
“D-dog boy? You mean the hanyou?”
 
Kouga turned to look at the man like he was mentally infirm. “You see anyone else here I'd be referring to?”
 
“But him - a tetsudai? You're telling me he really is a tetsudai?”
 
“I told you,” Miroku sing-songed. “Now, Kouga, what happened,” he continued, his tone sickly sugary, “is that a passing gang decided to take an avid interest in our dear Kagome. An avid interest, mind you, that she did not appreciate. Inuyasha did the honorable thing and stepped in to protect our friend, yet this policeman here seems to think he did something wrong.” He turned to the cop in question, a look of sweet revenge on his face. “Do I have that about right?”
 
The man paled as Kouga bellowed, “What?!” He lifted the cop a couple inches by the front of his shirt, not enough to take him off the ground or cut off any air, but more than enough to intimidate the man. “There were men harassing my woman and you did nothing about it? Why the hell are you here, pestering the one who protected her, instead of going after the ones who caused the whole mess? Are you all so incompetent that I'll have to do your work for you?”
 
“Ah, I do believe there's one of them lying semi-conscious on that sidewalk over there,” Miroku interjected helpfully.
 
Kouga pushed the policeman away and stalked toward his new victim, the cop following behind, furiously trying to catch up. “I take it this means we're free to go?” Miroku called after him.
 
The man waved them away. “Yes, yes, go about your business as you like.” He didn't pay them much attention as he tried to keep Kouga from seriously injuring the already dazed man he was now throttling.
 
Kagome immediately turned to Sango and Miroku. “Thank you,” she said, bowing to Miroku. “That would have definitely been ugly without your help.”
 
“Don't mention it. Besides, it was that kid who really got things turned around.”
 
She perked up. “You saw that?”
 
“As we were coming up. The crowd was packed and it took quite a bit to get through. Now, you were going to ask something?” he observed.
 
“Yes.” She glanced at Inuyasha. “We need to get away from here, just have some peace for a while. Do you think you could keep Kouga from following? He'll most likely want to check and see how I'm doing or talk with me some more but I really need you to distract him.”
 
“Could I tell him not to follow because you have an upset stomach and are planning to be otherwise occupied for the next hour?”
 
“Miroku!” Sango elbowed him in the ribs, appalled, but Kagome just laughed.
 
“If you think that would work then by all means, go ahead. I don't care what you have to do or say as long as we can make a clean escape.”
 
Sango butted in before Miroku could get a word out. “Of course we'll do what we can. Now go before this guy starts talking so much you never get out of here.”
 
Miroku pretended an offended huff but it melted away into a grin and a thumbs up as Sango nudged them on their way. Kagome smiled back, gripped Inuyasha's elbow, and started winding her way through the crowd. She glanced back once and instead of focusing on Miroku and Sango her eyes were drawn to the young boy who'd spoken up in their defense. He was waving madly after them, now situated on his dad's shoulders so he could see over the milling masses of people, and when Kagome waved back the boy beamed. She chuckled under her breath. See, Inuyasha? There is more out in the world for you than just blatant hatred.
 
After they'd extricated themselves from the core of the crowd Kagome started back for the Shrine but Inuyasha pulled her in another direction, the first conscious move she'd seen from him since he'd thrown that guy across the street. After that they wandered aimlessly for a while, Inuyasha's sense of smell serving him well to keep them heading away from the throngs of milling people, until they were on the outskirts of the festival area, only seeing the sporadic person here or there. She kept glancing up at his face but it was still as impassive as ever, nothing showing on it whatsoever, not even irritation at the amount of people they'd been constantly running into.
 
Finally, when it had been a good while since she'd seen anyone else around - there were certain perks to having festival preparations in a separate part of town that drew everyone out that particular direction - she pulled him into a small side alley and tugged at his arm to stop him. He slumped against the wall and she cupped his face between her hands to look at him squarely. His face was still blank but there were a myriad of things swimming in his eyes, too many for her to name or guess at, but she could swear she saw confusion, denial, and maybe even the inklings of hope.
 
He didn't like her inspection, however, and knocked her hands away before pulling her into his arms. He grasped her to him, the hold starting gently enough but growing tighter until it threatened to crush her, as if he were clinging to her, depending on her and the wall behind him to ground him to sanity. Burying his face in her neck he breathed heavily, his death grip on the back of her shirt never loosening even as she scrabbled to reach her hands between him and the wall. She dared not pull back, worried there might be tears running down her cheeks, worried there might be moisture swimming in his eyes. Instead she stroked what little she could reach of his back, hoping to help ease him into this new mindset, this slight shift in his world view.
 
They stayed like that for what felt like hours as they desperately tried to readjust themselves to something that was somehow such a simple and yet radical change and all it could mean. Slowly they pulled apart and when Kagome looked up into his face he was smiling, just a small little half smile, but it carried a depth of weight and Kagome's heart nearly burst with the joy if it, of the liberating feeling it bore. She answered with her own grin, having to bite down on her tongue to keep from yet another `I told you so.' Still, from the slight way he wrinkled his nose she knew he could tell she was thinking it anyhow.
 
She held out her hand again and he had no compunction taking it this time as they ambled down the streets near the market, enjoying the festival atmosphere. They stayed on the outskirts away from the crowds, in the shadows; just because they'd had a single good experience that day didn't mean they wanted to tempt fate. Still they soaked in the revelry and Kagome swore she saw him genuinely smile more than once as they wandered around.
 
Only when they passed a family eating desserts out of little cups did she realize she'd forgotten about her friends, gasping in surprised remembrance.
 
“What is it?” Inuyasha spun to face her, his posture projecting protection in every way, but she smiled to disarm his worry.
 
“Nothing, I just feel a bit guilty. Up until now I'd completely forgotten about Sango and Miroku. They'll be wondering what happened. We should try to find them.”
 
“No!” he snapped, though he must have felt as shocked at his outburst as she looked, because he immediately shut his mouth and looked away, arms crossed. “I, uh, I just mean I don't wanna have to search through this crowd for `em and if they're already back at the Shrine I really don't wanna be looking for `em. They can wait `til tomorrow.”
 
“Well, I don't think those two are like that…” she amended, belaying his worry about finding them at anything indecent, but then she looked closer at him and realized he was actually blushing. “Inuyasha, am I to take this to mean you just want to keep me all to yourself today?”
 
He jerked, spluttering. “What are you blathering on about, woman? Who'd want that? You never shut up, you get us into weird situations, you bring your friends around to start bugging me-” His rant was cut off with an “oof” as Kagome barreled into him, hugging his chest.
 
“I know, I know,” she laughed, “I cause you all sorts of trouble. It's amazing you've been able to put up with me this long.” He grumbled but his hand landed on her hair. “And you're right, they can most definitely wait until tomorrow. They're probably busy with something or other anyhow and we wouldn't want to interrupt them, right?”
 
“Uh, yeah, right.”
 
“Well then,” she grinned up into his face, “what do you want to do first?”
 
She bought him a new hat and convinced him to actually participate - or at least watch her participate - in some of the festival activities that had already started up along the fringes of the town center. They tried all manner of food and goodies, Kagome laughing when his spun candy stuck to his mouth and he made the goofiest faces trying to figure out what to do. Inuyasha chased her around as retribution and they both snickered at their own childish antics.
 
Finally, when it was nearing dusk and they worried that they needed to be back through the Shrine before it opened, Kagome grabbed his hand and started pulling him along. He smirked at her obvious enthusiasm to get back to their room, but when she didn't react with embarrassment as he'd expected but returned her own smirk as well, he fell expressionless in surprise before cackling. “I think hanging out with that bouzo has turned you into a letch.”
 
“Not quite,” she countered, poking his rib, “that honor would go to you.”
 
He laughed again, the look in his eyes warming her all the way to her toes, and she stared in silent admiration. He looked so much younger when he smiled, a small glimpse of how carefree he could manage to look, and a wistful pang ran through her that she couldn't bring that out in him more often, that he wouldn't allow her to take him away from his burdens at the Shrine. She shook her head ruefully, unwilling to go into melancholy thoughts on such a joyous outing. Things would progress as they would and there was nothing else she could do about it other than to just enjoy every day as she could.
 
As soon as they neared the front doors of the Shrine though, Inuyasha dropped her hand and slowed. She turned her head to look at him, raising a brow in question, but he just motioned her to continue on. It was then she noticed how stiff and rigid his posture had become, both defensiveness and aggression dripping from every pore, and she realized he'd just put on his `Shrine' face, despite the fact that there wasn't anyone to be seen yet. Still, she supposed it wouldn't do well for the image they'd worked to portray if they were seen happily dancing in after a day on the town. Mentally she sighed and stalked down the corridors toward his room.
 
They ran into only a few people on the way, all of which either gave them a wide berth or sent leering smirks their way, but they didn't see anyone they knew and Kagome had to laugh at how such a thing would actually make her happy. To her great relief when the door was locked behind them he dropped the cold facade and became again the almost carefree person he'd been that day with her.
 
“Well, today certainly was an interesting day, wasn't it?” she asked, twirling around in the middle of the room. Stopping suddenly she smiled widely at him. “I'm glad you agreed to come out with me.”
 
Stepping forward he caught her face between his hands. “I am too,” he whispered, just before he leaned in and kissed her.
 
Kagome immediately melted into the gentle pressure, her legs feeling wobbly at the sudden, unexpected sensation, so that she took an unconscious step back to steady herself. Inuyasha followed, pressing his lips more firmly against hers, and that was enough to cause Kagome to panic. She broke the kiss with a startled gasp.
 
“What was that?”
 
“I thought you'd at least recognize a kiss, dummy,” he snickered, but his fingers didn't stop caressing her cheek.
 
“No.” She inhaled deeply to restore some semblance of mental prowess. “I mean, why?”
 
He looked startled. “What you mean by that?”
 
“I mean,” she sighed, wishing she didn't have to ask, “are you doing this just because you're on a high about today? Is this just because you're happy? In a good mood? Celebrating? Because let me tell you, I don't think I could handle it if that's what this is.”
 
His brows bunched together and she could tell he was thinking things over, but then his mouth quirked into one of those crooked half-smirks that made her want to both clobber him and hold him tight. “I'm doing this,” he leaned in and brushed his lips against hers again, “simply because I wanna, alright?”
 
She pulled back warily. “You've always made such a big deal about not doing this, about needing to keep some part of yourself separated.” She took a deep breath before delving into the rest, a regretful wince on her face. “If you do this now I'll read things into it you don't mean.”
 
He glared at her, which she'd expected, but then his face softened and he pulled her abruptly against him, resting his chin on her head. “You're an idiot. You really think it makes a difference anymore?”
 
She tried to extract herself from his firm embrace so she could look at him but he held her tight. “So what you're saying is…” she prompted, her voice muffled.
 
“I ain't got nothing left. Nothing more.”
 
After so much time with him she'd had to learn to read between the lines but even still, this admission was pretty straight-forward for him and his meaning had her heart pounding in her throat. There was nothing he had held back from her anymore; he'd already given himself over completely as he was able or willing to. She thumped her forehead against his sternum with a choked laugh. The jerk loved her. She'd suspected for a while but had been too afraid to give full credence to her assumption. She didn't think he'd ever say it flat out but now he'd come as close to admitting it as she guessed he ever would.
 
“You're the idiot,” she mumbled.
 
“What?” he demanded, confusion and mock anger lacing his tone.
 
“I said that you're the idiot.” He must've heard the smile in her voice because he finally let her pull back far enough to see him face to face. “If all that's true then why are we still talking when you could be kissing me?” She quirked an eyebrow but she didn't even get to follow through on her intended haughtiness before his lips were on hers. Smiling, she felt his lips curve up against her own and she had to laugh in sheer delight before sinking back into his kiss.
 
Inuyasha's hands slid up her back to entangle slightly in her hair, holding her head with a gentleness Kagome wouldn't have expected. Her own were still flat against his chest and she moved one up, meaning to cup his face or slide through his hair she wasn't sure, but she was distracted by the feel of his throat, the muscles along his neck working ever so slightly as he moved his mouth, and her fingertips just lightly rested against his jaw to feel even more.
 
At the first touch of his tongue against hers she couldn't help but feel giddy, even though it was only a tentative movement. After a few moments of simply lingering over each other's lips she became curious about something else, scolding herself for the thought. Though she'd done a bit of kissing before, Kagome was by no means experienced in extensive techniques. She'd heard of something from one of her friends, however, she'd since become quite curious about, though from their earlier experience she was now a bit hesitant about trying out things she'd learned about from them.
 
Still, she drew Inuyasha's tongue into her mouth and sucked gently on it which, judging by the sounds he made, he enjoyed thoroughly. She alternated between playing her own tongue against his, then sucking on it again, before she released him and looked at him shyly. He wore this gloriously dumbfounded look she wished she could capture forever but then he came to his senses, pulled her face to his, and repeated the technique on her. She squirmed and groaned and made a mental note to thank her friend later, then when she broke panting from the kiss, semi-collapsing against the closet door behind her, she breathed, “Well, that was quite fun.”
 
“Quite,” Inuyasha agreed, before leaning in again.
 
They experimented lightly with one another for a while, their kisses staying sweet and light, as if they both wanted to hold onto that first sensation of newness. It was only when their mouths were so fused it was difficult to tell one from another, her every tactile sense focused on the licking and stroking and taste of each other, that she noticed how he fumbled quite often. She knew she had lost her pacing plenty of times but she never would have expected it of him until she realized with a pang that this area of expertise must be so different for him and he'd have very little experience with it as opposed to sex. As much as her heart broke for him in that horrible contradiction, a part of herself she hated also gloried and gloated in the fact that she held a part of him so few others had.
 
As if to make up for that ugly part of herself she gentled the kiss then let him take over completely, utterly and wholly giving herself over to him. To her surprise he didn't pounce but instead followed her lead, not gentling the kiss so much as slowing it, making every slide and move and touch deliberate to the point where her mind was so caught up in everything he was doing she didn't even notice her knees had completely turned to jelly. She slumped against the door, Inuyasha's body close enough she could feel the heat of him though he never actually pressed against her, his hands caressing the sides of her face even as she began to sink down as her legs gave out fully.
 
She slid down further and further, Inuyasha following her carefully down all the way, until she was lying partially on the floor, reclining awkwardly against the closet, but she felt too good and tingly to care. Inuyasha hunched over her, his thumbs rubbing across her cheeks, pausing when he felt wetness there. He pulled back to verify what he felt, horror entering his eyes when he confirmed she was indeed crying. Before he could panic Kagome grabbed his wrists and kissed each of his hands. “Don't worry so much. There is such a thing as happy tears.”
 
He gazed at her in awe, his fingers softly tracing the trails down her face. She let him study her a moment, then when she felt she couldn't bear to not be touching him a moment longer, she mirrored him, her fingers tracing across his features, studying him anew. He seemed softer, somehow, and she leaned up to kiss his brow, one hand moving back to massage his scalp.
 
Suddenly he noticed her position and gave her a wry, almost shy smile, commenting, “Comfy, huh?”
 
Her gaze ran down the length of him, then up again. “Very.”
 
He snickered. “Right. Well why don't we just make you more comfortable then?”
 
She guessed his intention had actually been to move them to the bed, but whether he purposely wanted to keep this experience separate from the activities that usually happened there, or whether he felt just as wobbly and weak as she did and didn't have the fortitude to move far from where they were, he just scooted her aside so she lay flat on the floor. “Better?” he asked.
 
“Not yet.” She tugged on his top until he settled down next to her. He leaned on one elbow so he was still over her, able to kiss her easily enough without crushing her, but still leaving enough space that the air wasn't sexually charged. “Mm, yeah, much better now.” Then just like that he leaned over and met her mouth with his again.
 
They explored their newfound intimacy for what felt like hours and, from what Kagome's back told her the next day, probably had been. They kissed and probed and touched, though neither moved to push it any further, and when they were both too exhausted to do anything more Inuyasha snuggled his head on her chest, Kagome stroking his hair as he stroked her side, and they both fell asleep, there on the cold cement, fully clothed for the first time since they'd met.
 
~ ~ ~
 
Long A/N is long:
 
Odd as it is, I'm really not obsessed with gelato. Not even a big fan actually. I don't know how I picked that as the arbitrary food item for Kagome to goggle over, but there it is. Yay random.
 
One of my betas pointed out that as I originally had the `harassment' scene didn't coincide with current Japanese law. I tried to remedy that but it just didn't mesh, so I decided I can get away with it since the Japan I'm writing about here isn't really current day Japan, but an alternate though similar version of it that had to evolve while having Roman rule for a while and with a separate youkai society functioning alongside it. So please pardon my inaccuracy in that area. (But I did rewrite the section multiple times after getting it back from my betas thus it hasn't been gone through by them, so please also excuse any extra boo boos there.)
 
Random though utterly trivial background point: I didn't really write this in, and don't know if I'll ever get the chance to do so later, but I have this idea of Kouga being a vigilante in the town. The reason the cop is so deferential to him and worries about his reaction to Kagome's attacker is because he helps the cops track down criminals from time to time, getting fed up with their inability in his backyard. He's the type to take care of whatever area he's in, as far as his standards go at least, regardless of what the law strictly dictates he's allowed to do. He very well might do what Kagome prevented Inuyasha from doing - tracking down the rest of the group of delinquents and teaching them some `manners'. 0.0
 
Again, thanks to my awesome betas who brought up good points, my wonderful reviewers, and every single reader. Thanks for the support ^_^
 
On that point though - I'm so glad for ff.net and its ability to let me respond to reviews! Drives me crazy that I'm unable to on mediaminer or aff.net! Argh! *hopes they get with it soon*