InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Battle through Time ❯ Ch. 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ch. 8
Back in Modern Era. (One day has passed.)
 
“Good morning Mom! Good morning Souta!” said Kagome cheerfully as she entered the kitchen. “Where's Inuyasha?”
 
“He's helping your grandfather move some things in the shrine,” replied her mother as she washed the dishes. “They shouldn't be too long.”
 
Kagome stepped outside into the crisp morning air. Despite her lack of sleep she felt alive and vibrant. Her feet barely seemed to touch the ground as she pranced out to the yard. As she made her way towards the shrine, the grand tree that had started it all suddenly caught her eye.
 
“You're quite an amazing tree, you know that?” Kagome said softly as she stopped to admire it.
 
“Kagome,” called a voice. It seemed to be coming from the tree itself. A very much startled Kagome jumped back in surprise.
 
“Huh?! Am I crazy or did this tree just talk to me? I guess you're more amazing than I thought.”
 
“Kagome, I must speak with you.” A blue light began to emanate from the trunk, and come out towards Kagome, forcing her to shield her eyes.
 
“Kikyo?” uttered a confused and slightly frightened Kagome as she turned back towards the tree.
 
“Yes. Kagome, I want to offer my thanks to you. Because of your kindness, I was able to calm my spirit and finally find peace. I will be forever grateful for that.” Her words were bewildering to Kagome. Could this really be Kikyo? The image was a perfect representation, her voice exactly the same, but her words and tone were strange. Kikyo had never spoken so warmly to her before.
 
“Uh…you're…welcome,” replied Kagome, her voice slightly shaking. She still stood in a defensive stance, one foot behind the other, ready to escape if need be.
 
“But I have also come here to warn you,” Kikyo stated in a more serious tone.
 
“Warn me? Of what?” asked Kagome with concern.
 
“There is a great evil presence coming that threatens all existence. You must be on your guard. I have a feeling that you and Inuyasha may be the only ones who can stop it.”
 
“But why?”
 
“Because you and he are one of few people that can pass through time.”
 
Back in Feudal Era.
The group continued their conversation with Tajira. No one had slept; the news was far too worrisome. Tajira was becomingly increasingly annoyed with their interrogation, her brow slightly twitching with anxiety. She hated to be stuck in one place for such an extended period of time.
 
“So not everyone can travel through time as Inuyasha and Kagome do?” asked Miroku.
 
“Correct. Those who have this ability are born with it. However, most can only travel to certain periods. Only the keeper of time can travel as he or she pleases.”
 
“Can ye tell us anymore about this evil?” asked Kaede.
 
“I'm afraid I've told you all I know about him,” sighed Tajira. He has the time travel gift, and he plans to use it to alter reality to his liking. To be perfectly honest, your chances of surviving this seem pretty slim,” Tajira remarked coolly. “You people never run out of questions though, do you?”
 
“Not when it concerns the future of everyone's lives!” screamed Shippo.
 
“Hmm. Shippo, you're starting to sound a little like Inuyasha,” smirked Miroku.
 
“Uhhh. That can't be a good thing,” remarked Shippo sarcastically as he sat back down.
 
“Hey, where did Lady Tajira go to?” asked Sango.
 
Everyone looked about the hut. Tajira had once again disappeared.
 
Back in Modern Era
“So, what do you think our chances are?”
 
Inuyasha and Kagome stood in Kagome's yard side by side, looking straight ahead into space. Both understood the implications; if they could not open the portal, then they could never again return to the Feudal era, and never again see their friends.
 
“I don't know. I guess there's only one way to find out,” replied Inuyasha, grasping Kagome's hand.
 
Kagome smiled and nodded in reply. Both closed their eyes, and then slowly opened them in unison as a great turquoise light appeared in front of them.
 
Back in Feudal Era
With Tajira gone, the group remained in Kaede's hut, sitting in silence. Each was lost in his or her own thoughts.
 
“If Inuyasha and Kagome should make it back here, we'll have to warn them,” said Sango partly to herself.
 
“Don't bother, we already know,” called a familiar voice.
 
“Kagome! Inuyasha! You're back!” screamed a delighted Shippo. “We really missed you!”
 
“We missed you too Shippo,” replied Kagome giving him a big hug.
 
“We're so glad you both are back,” added Sango as Miroku nodded in accord.
 
“Well, now that we're all settled in here, what do we plan on doin' about this time travel guy?” asked Inuyasha interrupting the reunion. He could only stand so much sappiness.
 
“I'm not sure we can do much of anything right now,” replied Miroku seriously. “We don't even know who this person is. We have no leads. All we can do is be on our guard.”
 
“I agree with Miroku, we just have to wait,” added Kagome.
 
The day seemed to have flown by in an instant. Miroku, Sango, and Shippo had all fallen asleep in Kaede's hut. Inuyasha had removed himself from the group. He sat leaning against a tree near the edge of a small cliff with his arms crossed, deep in thought.
 
“I hate waitin' around for trouble to come,” he hissed to himself. “And I hate that I don't even know who this enemy is.”
 
“Hey,” said Kagome softly. “Am I bothering you?” Inuyasha looked up to see Kagome standing over him. He had been so lost in thought that he hadn't heard her coming.
 
“No, of course not,” replied Inuyasha. “I was just thinkin' about everything we found out today.” His gaze once again focused straight in front of him. A slight cool breeze blew his silver hair away from his face, revealing a concerned expression.
 
Kagome stood still, watching him for a moment. She couldn't stand seeing him so worried. She stared down at the ground in thought, searching for comforting words.
 
“Inuyasha, I know it's hard, but you just can't worry about things you have no control over. It will only make you crazy,” Kagome said gently.
 
“Hmph. Yeah, I know,” answered Inuyasha sarcastically as he pulled Kagome down beside him. She was happy to be in his arms again. She rested her head on his chest as his arms surrounded her. They sat together in silence, each reveling in the warmth of the embrace.
 
“Kagome.” Inuyasha's voice had softened. His feelings were more apparent in his tone.
 
“Yes.”
 
“I don't know if I ever told you, but…you smell really nice.”
 
“You told me that once before, but I wasn't sure if you meant it or not. I thought it might have been the poison talking,” replied Kagome kiddingly as she lifted her head to smile at him.
 
Their eyes met as they moved into another, more passionate kiss. Inuyasha ran his fingers through Kagome's hair. He began to gently lower her to the grassy floor.
 
“What are you guys doing?” squeaked a familiar little voice.
 
“Huh?!” replied Inuyasha and Kagome in unison. As soon as they realized Shippo was there, both quickly lifted themselves off the ground, brushing the dirt off of their clothes.
 
“I heard some weird noises coming from over here.”
 
“Ummmm…we were uh…” babbled Inuyasha. He was blushing profusely and nervously scratching his head.
 
“Inuyasha was walking in his sleep, and…uh…when I tried to stop him, he…we…fell. Hehe,” replied an equally embarrassed Kagome.
 
“Wow that was a terrible story. He's never going to buy that,” Kagome thought to herself.
 
“Oh, okay. Should have known all that noise was due to Inuyasha's stupidity,” remarked Shippo lifting a paw as he turned to leave.
 
“What?! Who are you callin' stupid ya stupid little weasel!” yelled Inuyasha with his fist in the air ready to strike.
 
“Alright! Alright!” interrupted Kagome, stepping in between them. “We're all tired. Let's just get some sleep.”
 
After Shippo had left, Inuyasha and Kagome settled themselves. Kagome lay on Inuyasha's chest once again, as both of them began to drift off to sleep.
 
“I can't believe what almost happened,” Kagome thought as her face reddened once again. “But I'm…happy. I'm happy it almost happened with him.”