InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Battle through Time ❯ Ch. 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ch.9
 
It was a sunny, yet lazy morning. Inuyasha and Kagome were still fast asleep after sunrise, as was Shippo and Kirara.
 
When Miroku awoke, he noticed that Sango had left Kaede's hut. He sneaked past a sleeping Shippo and Kirara, and outside into the morning air. As he walked he noticed Sango sitting on a rock veiled behind several trees. Her head was down, her face hidden.
 
“Sango, are you feeling alright?” asked Miroku comfortingly as he approached from behind.
 
“Oh, Miroku, I didn't know you were here,” replied Sango somewhat startled. “I'm fine. I just needed time to think about things.” Sango closed her eyes and sighed slightly. She had spent the entire morning sitting alone, regretting the past.
 
“You don't have to hide your sorrows, Sango.”
 
Sango lifted her face to meet Miroku's. His words surprised her. The way Miroku could read her feelings startled her sometimes. She couldn't hide from him. He was always there for her when she was in pain.
 
“It's understandable,” said Miroku as he sat beside Sango. “Losing Kohaku has caused you terrible pain. It's okay to show that. Mourning his death is not a sign of weakness.”
 
Miroku's words triggered her long held-back tears. She began to sob as Miroku moved to embrace her.
 
“Why? Why did he have to do that? Why couldn't I save him? I promised! I promised I would protect him!” Sango cried. Her tears were drenching Miroku's clothes.
 
It pained Miroku to see Sango in this state. She had suffered so much in the past year, losing her family and her entire village. He searched for words to comfort her.
 
“Your brother is really a hero. He sacrificed himself to save us all. Naraku was greatly weakened by Kohaku's purified shard. If he hadn't allowed himself to be absorbed by Naraku, we would have never been able to defeat him. What he did, he did out of love for you,” said Miroku sweetly.
 
“I…should be proud of him. It's just that…” Sango buried her face further in Miroku's robes. Her words were barely audible between her sobs.
 
“I know,” answered Miroku. “I know.” He held Sango close, resting his head on hers. “You are my fiancé, Sango. Your pains are mine. You should never feel like you are burdening me with your sorrows. I am always here for you. Always.”
 
Later
It was early afternoon, and the Inuyasha gang was ready to depart from Kaede's hut. They had stayed there long enough.
 
“Thank you for allowing us to stay here for so long, Lady Kaede,” said Sango politely.
 
“It was no trouble. Feel free to come back here any time ye please,” answered Kaede smiling.
 
After parting ways with Kaede, the group set off traveling as they always would. Kagome walked alongside Inuyasha in the front, Miroku and Sango followed behind with Shippo on Miroku's shoulder.
 
“Everything seems back to normal,” thought Kagome as she glanced back and to the side.
 
“What's your problem?” asked Inuyasha noticing that she was looking at him.
 
“Oh, nothing,” replied Kagome coolly. “Maybe too much back to normal,” she thought.
 
The group had been walking no longer than a few minutes when a tornado of dust suddenly entered into their path. Inuyasha immediately recognized the scent.
 
“It's Koga,” said Shippo.
 
Koga immediately made his way towards Kagome, only to be blocked by an angry Inuyasha. His eyes were bulging and his ears were twitching uncontrollably.
 
“Move out of the way, mutt. I have to talk with Kagome,” said Koga in his usual tone. He lifted an arm to push Inuyasha to the side. Inuyasha quickly slapped it back.
 
“Anything you have to say to her, you can say to me!” Inuyasha was glaring into Koga's face, his fist in the air ready to strike.
 
“What the heck's gotten into you, dog breath? You're more riled up then usual,” replied Koga.
 
“What the heck's wrong with you, wolf? Tryin' to move in on Kagome when she obviously has no interest!”
 
Recognizing the familiar pattern of childish insults and comebacks, Kagome quickly interrupted.
 
“Sit!”
 
Inuyasha hit the ground, and was none too pleased about it, but before he could yell at Kagome, she quickly reminded Koga of what he had came to tell her.
 
“Oh yeah. Well, what I was going to tell you before I was rudely interrupted, was that I heard some strange noises last night. It almost sounded like there was a battle goin' on somewhere. But that wasn't the strange part. The strange part was that the voices coming from the battle sounded like you and muttface.”
 
“What?” asked Kagome. “But that's impossible.”
 
“I know. I went looking for you guys but I couldn't find you. You were no where in sight. I couldn't pick up any scent of you either. I finally tracked your scent this afternoon.”
 
“You were probably just hearin' things,” smirked Inuyasha as he picked himself up off of the ground.
 
“Hmph. Think what you want, mutt, but I could have sworn I heard you and Kagome.” Before Inuyasha could catch him, Koga clasped Kagome's hands. “I have to get goin', but don't you worry, Kagome. I'll come back and visit you soon.”
 
With those words, Koga left as quickly as he had come. The dust from his tracks blew directly into Inuyasha. He shook the dirt off of his clothes like a dog while murmuring more insults under his breath.
 
“That's quite strange,” remarked Miroku after Koga had left.
 
“You know, I think I might have heard the same thing last night,” said Shippo thoughtfully. “The sounds I heard did sound like they were coming from a battle.”
 
“So, it wasn't Kagome and me you heard last night then! We couldn't have been makin' any noises like that! You bothered us for nothing!” yelled Inuyasha.
 
Miroku and Sango stared at Inuyasha, as Kagome began to turn bright red.
 
“Inuyasha, you and your big mouth,” Kagome thought to herself as she clenched her fists.
 
“So, you two, ahem…spent the night together I assume,” smirked Miroku, with a mischievous grin on his face.
 
It's not what you're thinkin' about, lecher,” replied Inuyasha angrily with his fist in the air. He was still blushing.
 
“Your expression says differently,” responded Miroku still smiling.
 
“Hey, maybe we should be worrying about what Koga told us. Like how two people could hear the same sounds from two far away places,” Kagome anxiously suggested. She was desperate to change the subject.
 
“Kagome's right,” added Sango. “We have more important things to worry about. Those sounds might have something to do with our new enemy.”