InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Bet ❯ Missing scenes... ( Chapter 11 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

The Bet

"Kagome!" A voice brought her out of her thoughts and she turned around to see Hojo coming galopping along the corridor to her.

"Hojo," she greeted him, trying not to wince.

"How are you?" His sweet brown eyes were kind and concerned, and she forced herself to smile.

"I'm fine, just a little tired."

'Cause you didn't get any sleep last night with those dreams…

Shut up! I thought you only was there when it was about Sesshoumaru?

Well, you were wrong, I'm always here…

Go away!

"Kagome?" Hojo's questioning eyes sought hers, and she smiled weakly.

"Really, I'm fine. I'm just tired."

"What have you done this weekend?" Walking along the corridor with her, he leaned in to hear her reply.

'Well, I've tried to get Inu's brother in bed, failing rather miserably. And then, I had a really, really embarrasing wet dream about him. How about you?'

"Not much, just been out at Inu's mostly. I didn't see you at the party at Friday?" He shrugged then, smiling slightly.

"I wasn't feeling well. I stayed at home and did some History instead." That's Hojo, always taking care about school first and foremost.

Perhaps something you should try once in a while?

Hey! Cut it out! I take care of school, I do!

Yeah, you did, till you were what, sixteen? Seventeen? Pre-Inu, I think…

"A cold?" She wasn't really interested, but it was polite to ask, after all. Again, he just shrugged, the smile back.

"Yeah, something like that."

They walked down the hall, chatting about this and that, Kagome barely paying attention. Hojo was nice, but she didn't want to be stuck with him for the rest of her life, like Inu claimed that she would be. I'm 22 years old, I'm always drinking too much at parties, never learning the lesson, I'm going to the same school as my friends - of which one is my ex-bf - and I'm currently engaged in a bet to sleep with his brother. How does that sound for advertisement? Oh, I forgot, I still live at home with a brother who's crazy and a mom that works too much.

"I heard that Kouga is going to ask you out?" The statement made her stop dead and stare at him.

"Kouga? As in Kouga-the-wolf?" Kami, please no!

"Yes, the same." Hojo, the lucky bastard was totally oblivious of her horror. No, not that Kouga!

"Oh, fuck…" Inu was going to kill him, and her too. If Kouga was working up his nerve to ask her out, Inu would know about it, and all hell would break loose.

As if he could hear her thoughts and silent prayers, said young man came fuming through the corridor to them. Before he had reached them though, Kouga stepped out in front of her and Hojo, casting the latter a glance that clearly spoke of getting lost. Hojo, being the nice boy he was, obliged and left, oblivious of how Inu was raging closer to them.

"Kagome!" Kouga tried his most charming smile, and she winced. She was so dead!

"Kouga…" Nothing worked with the man, she knew it, except being short of shouting at him. She had tried it once or twice, but it hadn't worked for more than getting Inu to come to her rescue. She could see him now, hindered by Kouga's friends, and she sighed. This wasn't going well.

"I wonder, would you go on a date with me on Wednesday?"

"Um… No, I can't, I'm busy."

"You are? With what?" Seducing Sesshoumaru, you stupid son of a bitch!

"Work… Look, I really must talk to Inu now, see ya!" She tried to dash past him, but he followed close behind, seeing Inu snarling at him from the other side of his friends.

"Inu, let's go." She dodged past the others, grabbing her friend and dragged him along.

"What did he want?" Probably fuck me, I guess.

"A date." When he stopped again, turning around snarling, she grabbed his arm again, forcing him with her. "I said no, I have no interest in him, and you know that, so drop the cave man, will ya?"

"Good. How about something to eat?" Grinning, she followed him to the cafeteria, grabbing her usual sandwich.

"About the bet…" They seated themselves at the usual table, alone for the moment being.

"Yeah? You don't want out, do you?" His eyebrows rose expectantly, and she laughed.

"No, I just want to clear a few things first. Like, if he leaves on a business trip, what happens then? You can't count the days he's not here." Nodding, he looked at her.

"Then, you get the same number of days afterwards, when he's home again. That's fair."

"Good. And if one of us falls sick? I can't do anything if I have a cold that keeps me in bed all the time." He was silent for a moment before sighing.

"I'm too nice… You don't have to worry about that either. By the way, how's things coming along?" Smiling, he watched her blush.

"Things are… coming along well…" A questioning eyebrow.

"Details, Kag!" She scowled at him, but obliged, swallowing the sandwich and a large dose of the orange juice she had brought from home before answering.

"Details? Well, let me put it this way; hadn't there been anyone outside the kitchen door Friday night, I would have won the bet easily." His jaw dropped, and he stared speechless at her.

"You're kidding me?" She shook her head, smiling innocently at him.

"No, it was him, me, the counter and a salad."

"You're lying!" She laughed then, the sound echoing in his ears to the image of how she would drive away with his Tetsusaiga.

"Let me put it this way, honey, he knows how to kiss a girl breathless…" Grinning, she watched that little piece of information sink in and he scowled.

"Who knows how to kiss a girl breathless? Kouga?" Miroku landed himself next to her, Sango in tow. Inu growled at him, and Kagome sighed.

"No, not Kouga."

"Then who?"

"None of your fucking business, Miroku. And watch those hands!" He stared at her at the sharpness of her voice. This wasn't like Kagome, ever since that bet had begun, she had been acting weird.

"Isn't it about time that the two of you tell the rest of us what's going on?" Sango fixed her with a stare of her own, making her cringe. She looked over to Inu, who shrugged, seemingly absorbed in his food. Miroku and Sango was watching her closely though, and she sighed.

"Well…" Hell, this was hard!

"'Well' what?"

"Um… I… Well…" She couldn't force the words out, glaring at Inu as he snickered.

"Come on, Kag!"

"No, you'll get to know afterwards, or you'll just ruin everything." She shot Inu another glance, which he ignored, and returned to her food.

"Ruin what?" Sango was persistant, and Kagome glared at her.

"I'm not going to tell you - and neither is he, because then he loose!" Rising, she grabbed her tray and left them there, staring after her as she went to the trashcan and shoved everything down there. You tell them, Inu, and I swear I will make you curse the day your grandparents were born!

She cast them a last glance before stomping off, silently cursing everyone in sight. She had plenty of time before her afternoon classes began, and a small plan was forming in her head. Sesshoumaru would be at his office by this time, no doubt too absorbed in his work to pay attention to lunch. Well, what is it about us and food?

She headed out on the street and to the closest shop selling anything edible. She wasn't really hungry anymore, but a small churning in her stomach made her pause.

Nervous?

Yeah, like hell…

Don't worry, it will be fine. Just get in there, grab whatever you're going to spoonfeed him with, and get your ass to his office.

What is it with us and food? First, the kitchen and that salad, and now, I'm actually considering buying him something to eat…

You're just making sure that you won't loose the bet, right?

Right…

But then, why are you acting like this? Beginning to want out?

No! Inu's not going to win!

Or, perhaps, your conscience speaking?

Who? Don't tell me it's you?

Me? Does it sound like it?

No, it doesn't…

Hey, relax, I'm on your side!

That's what I was afraid of…

Ungrateful bitch!

Don't call me bitch!

I'm not going to go into that again; you're a bitch, and you're acting like one in heat!

Fuck off! I'm not!

You are.

Go away! You were almost making sense there for a while, but now you're just back to the normal idiocy!

Whatever, just buy the fucking food and get your pretty little ass over there, will ya?

She ignored the odd looks she recieved as she paid for the food and left the store, trying to mute the voice back into the little corner of her head again. She really hated it, but it made some sense. Sometimes.

Getting on the bus, she seated herself in the back, trying not to stare at the people around her. The bus was almost empty, leaving her watching out through the window as they neared the business district.

Getting off, she hurried to the Onishi company, suddenly even more nervous. Must be something I ate…

Yeah, you can't be nervous to meet him, right?

Go away.

Just feed him, and you'll have him in your hands again…

She entered the building, having been there often enough to know where he resided. The top, 8 floors up. The building wasn't one of the taller ones, but she still felt a little queasy at the thought of the height. Getting into the elevator, she was grateful to see that she was alone for the moment being. She tried drawing calm, deep breaths as she watched the floors flash by, all too fast for her taste. I should have taken the stairs…

The pling brought her out of her thoughts, and she left the elevator, her head held high and her knees locked to keep them from knocking. I can't be that nervous?!

The secretary desk outside his office was empty, and she hurried past, oblivious of the pair of eyes that followed her from another doorway. Opening the door to his office, she sneaked in.

He was seated with his back to the door, talking in the phone.

"Just make sure you find out who, Jaken!" The voice was almost a growl, and she considered turning then and there, but forced herself to stay still. The other one answered, and she could almost see the scowl on his face.

"I don't care if it goes all the way to my father - you find whoever it is and bring him - or her - to me! Got that?" He was actually sounding angry, in his own way; cold and distant.

Slamming the reciever down, he turned. If he was surprised to see her there, he didn't show it as he looked her up and down, stopping at the bag in her hands.

"And what do you want?" Forcing her lips into a smile, she extended the bag towards him.

"Just make sure that you eat properly."

"Isn't it time that we drop this little game, and you tell me what the hell you and my stupid excuse for a brother are really up to? I'm loosing my patience, Kagome."

"Hey! I've told you, we're not 'up to' anything, you stupid…" She let the rest of the sentence drown in a growl, startling him as well as her.

"Cut the crap. I've known you two for a long time, and you and I have never liked each other. All of a sudden, you begin rubbing my back, jumping me in the kitchen and bringing my fucking glasses to me - not to mention bringing me lunch - and you try to convince me that you're not up to something? Don't insult me, Kagome." Their eyes locked, neither of them looking away. She was letting her temper getting the better of her as well, and she took a step forward, leaning above his desk.

"I'm not. I'm just trying to be nice to you, which, by the way, seems to be a great deal of wasted time, you stupid son of a bitch!"

He rose from the chair, staring her straight in the eye for a moment before drawing himself up at his full height in an attempt to intimidate her. She scowled at him before mimicking his move, crossing her arms under her breasts and taking a defensive stance. This was something he recognized - they had been at these kind of moments many times before, neither of them backing down.

Her furious eyes told him that she wouldn't give in to anything he would do, and he could feel himself changing stance to an offensive one, once more having her mimick it.

"Look, I was just trying to be nice to you, just forget it, will ya?" Before he had had the time to blink, she had turned around, and was heading for the door.

"Stop." The pure force of his voice stopped her short, but she didn't turn around. Standing there for another moment, she shrugged, casting a glance over her shoulder.

"Now what? Don't tell me you feel bad about yelling at me?"

"I'm not. I just want to know what the hell you and Inu are up to." She sighed then, turning around.

"I've told you, we're not up to anything. Which part didn't you understand?"

"Don't lie to me. You're insulting me." He could feel his temper getting the better of him, as it often did when she was involved. She had a way of always pissing him off, now not an exception.

She turned fully then, marching back to him and taking that defensive stance again. Her eyes flared with emotions, anger the most prominent.

"Leave me alone, Sesshoumaru, or I swear that you'll regret the day you're fucking grandparents were born!" Her fists were clenched at her sides, her face slightly flushed by the emotions raging in her.

"You're the one barging in here, uninvited." Petty, he knew that, but a the only thing he could say right then. She snorted at that, knowing as well as he that he was at a loss of words. This game was getting out of hand for both of them.

"I told you, I'm just trying to be nice, something I won't do again, I promise." Icy sarcasm washed over him again, and she turned on her heels.

"Good. Take your food with you on the way out." He extended the bag to her again, and she ripped it from his hands, looking like she wanted to empty its content over him. The gleam in his eyes warned her though, and she settled for another glare before she slammed the door shut on the way out, leaving him standing alone in his office again. He sunk back into the chair, grabbing his glasses and turning to the screen again, shutting her out of his thoughts.

*******

Kagome leaned in, tracing her lips softly along his neck, feeling him work with her pants, dragging them down her hips, the feeling of his hands following behind. Her own hands were buried in his hair, trying to keep her balance as he slipped his hand between her legs, touching the soft skin on the inside of her thighs, making her knees give way. She whimpered, finding his lips blindly with her own, closing her eyes for a moment before removing her hands from his hair, fingering him down his chest and stomach, hearing him groan as she reached his pants.

His hands were driving her mad, and she decided that she had had enough of waiting as their lips met again. She eased out of the rest of her clothes on her own, feeling his appreciating looks at her body and he reached out to touch her again.

She leaned backwards, feeling the wall behind her again, and how he stepped closer, pressing his body against hers. The feeling of him against her naked skin had her whimpering, the pathetic sound loud in the still air around them as he reach for her hands, bringing them up above her head, trapping them there. She didn't mind the least as he leaned in, kissing her neck, working his way slowly down her body, stopping for a moment as he reached her breasts before kissing them softly, and her knees chose that moment to give way, making her slump at him, pressing even closer. He let go of her hands, and she reached down to let him out of the last of his own clothes, feeling his breathing become heavier as she touched him through the fabric of his pants, forcing a groan from him. Smiling slightly, she kissed him again, opening his pants…

She sat up with a gasp, her body drenched in sweat and her heart racing with an insane rythm. She swallowed, trying to force the dream from her mind, but every time she blinked, she relived it. Blushing, she reached for her alarmclock. 2.57 am. I'm crazy! It's been a very long time since I had a dream like that… Or a dream like that of a specific person, at least… Sesshoumaru. The bastard didn't even leave her alone in her dreams, not that she would have turned him down if that scenario had happened when she was awake either.

You've been too long without getting laid, that's it.

Fuck off! It's in the middle of the night, and I haven't 'been too long without getting laid'! And you know it!

That's what you say yes, but I know better…

Like hell… Go and bug someone else, will ya?

No, I won't. It's time that we have our little talk now. You've been avoiding it long enough. That little dream of yours right now was perhaps a little indication that things aren't what they seem like? Ever thought of that?

What the hell are you babbling about? You're not making sense, you know…

Like I have to. I'm just the little voice inside your head, you told me so yourself.

Whatever, just go away. I want to get some more sleep before school, okay?

And have another of those dreams?

Preferably, yes. Any problem with that?

Silence

No, I don't have any problem with that, but apparently you do. If you could get him over here right now, you would fuck him, bet or no bet, right? It's more than a bet for you, you just have to admit it.

What the HELL are you talking about? It's a fucking BET! Okay, he's gorgeous, I can admit that. And I'm going to get the Tetsusaiga, not that I really want it… Mostly I'm doing this to shut Inu up once and for all.

Yeah, right…

Stop it, would you? And the next time you open your big mouth, try to get something sensible out…

I'm talking about feelings you're trying to supress.

Great, now you're Freud too; just because I had a dream about him - a very nice dream - I'm in love with him? Or perhaps, I'm in love with Inu's car? Get to the point for fuck's sake!

I am getting to the point, but you're just interrupting me all the time. You're just like a bitch in heat right now, you know that?

Whatever. If you don't have anything better to do than insult me, I suggest that you leave now. I'm tired.

Yeah, go ahead, just run from it, hide those feelings and convince yourself that they don't exist…

What feelings? There is no feelings! It's a fucking bet, and if I would have feelings for anyone, it would be for Inu, and you know it!

Laying down again, she sighed. That voice was crazy, and it always seemed to show up whenever something indicated to Sesshoumaru.

"I'm going to stop getting drunk right now. I'm never going to drink, ever, again!" Blaming the alcohol was a lame excuse, but she didn't like the way the voice had talked about feelings. It had sounded so… sure…

"Great, Kag, now you're having a conversation about yourself with yourself… Get a hold of yourself, baka!"

She turned over on her side, watching the tree outside her window and wondering what Sesshoumaru was doing. Sleeping, probably. Too bad I can't call Inu at this time, but he'd probably go nuts if I woke him up now…

Closing her eyes, she tried to find sleep again, failing rather miserably. She could still feel the way her body had reacted to his in the dream, and it made her blush again. It was just a dream, for fuck's sake! A dream! One that I wouldn't mind if it happened in reality too…

*****

Scurrying off to school, Kagome yawned as she stepped on the bus. She hadn't slept at all the rest of the night, twisting and turning and cursing, and now her temper was on a slow boil.

The bus seemed to creep forward, the traffic jam worse than ever. She decided to get off and walk the rest of the way to school since it wouldn't take as long as sitting there and waiting to be pulled forward another meter. Sighing, she jumped off, watching it as she took a short cut through the park, hurrying on.

The next street wasn't as crowded, and she dodged the cars as she ran across it, her bag on her shoulder and her coat flapping wildly behind her.

A sudden screech to her right made her stop dead, a milimeter from being hit by a large car. Scowling at the driver, who shouted something, she flicked her middle finger at him before continuing, not caring about the way he stared at her.

The walls of the school finally showed up, and she slowed down to a walk, watching the other students heading the same way. She spotted Hojo talking to Yuki and smiled. Those two would make a great couple, if she just could convince them about it. Unfortunately, Hojo had his eyes fixed on her and Yuki hadn't showed any interest in him at all. Well, what the hell? You can always try, right?

"Kag!" Turning around at the sound of Inu's voice, she watched as he and Kikyo walked over to her, hand in hand. Kikyo was smiling as usual, her face blushing slightly, and it wasn't hard for Kagome to figure out what those two had been up to. In the car? Remind me not to get into it again before he has had it cleaned next time…

"Morning…" She answered gloomily, earning a startled glance from Inu.

"What's wrong with you?"

"I had one of those sick dreams again… You know, you, me and someone else doing Kami-know-what-and-you-don't-want-to-know-things." She forced herself to grin at him, not that he looked convinced. Kikyo, on the other hand, laughed openly at her.

"Sounds… interesting…"

"Trust me, it isn't." She wasn't in the mood for these kind of games right now, and turned around to get back into school.

"Are you really okay, Kag? You're a little green around the edges, you know…"

"I'm fine. I'm just so fucking tired. I didn't get much sleep tonight either." He shrugged, and the three of them entered the building. They all had a History class on Monday morning, and then they split up for the rest of the day. Kagome dragged her feet, trying to keep her eyes open.

"Kagome!" A voice brought her out of her thoughts, and she turned around as Kouga came running. Kikyo grabbed Inu's arm, trying to keep him from the other man. For some reason, Kouga and Inu really, really, really hated each other, and had done it for as long as she had known them.

"What do you want, Kouga?" She wasn't overly fond of him either, mostly because he never gave up trying to bed her.

"A date? Wednesday?" She stared at him, dumbfounded.

"No, I'm busy on Wednesday." His smile dropped for a split second before coming back full force.

"Something I can help you with?" She blinked, and heard Inu snicker behind her. Kouga seemed to notice him for the first time, frowning.

"No, it's nothing you can help me with." Seducing Sesshoumaru…

"Oh. What about Thursday then?"

"Um… No. Look, I'm very busy these two weeks, try again after that, all right?" She turned on her heel, dragging Inu and Kikyo behind her. Inu was scowling and casting angry glances at a frowning Kouga.

"I'm going to bash him till he can't stand!"

"No, you're not!" She grabbed him by the collar then, forcing him to look at her. "You're not! Got that?" Grumbling something, he held her gaze for a moment longer before prying himself loose.

"Yeah yeah… Whatever. I just don't want him to touch you, okay?"

"He won't, I promise." One of the most touching things with Inu was that he was so protective, even though they weren't dating anymore. Sometimes, it was infuriating, but most of the time, she felt safe with him around. Like an older brother. I wonder if Sesshoumaru would react the same way?

No, you're not wondering that! Go away! It was bad enough to listen to you last night, I'm not listening to you now! Got that?

She followed Inu and Kikyo to the class, grabbing her books and notepad, waiting for the teacher to arrive. They were seated for themselves, not caring much about the rest of the people. Neither of them really had the need of other people beyond their little circle. She didn't know why, but it had always been that way, ever since she had gotten to know them.

The teacher, Myoga, arrived. The short man begun by sending papers backwards through the rows, and headed to the board in the middle, already beginning his lesson. Kagome sighed as she looked at the paper. The first settlements in the US…

*****

Later the same evening, she was seated in the Onishi's living room, curled up under a blanket and watching TV along with Inu and Kikyo. Or rather, they were there, but they weren't watching anything else than each other.

"I'm off now, I have to get home and get some sleep." They waved at her, not even bothering to turn around as she rose and left the room.

Suddenly hesitant, she looked over to the corridor where Sesshoumaru's office was. She stood there for another moment before shrugging, moving down that way. She could perhaps apologise or something. Apologise? For what?

"Kagome." She stopped dead, of the pure force of his voice before turning around, meeting his eyes. He had his glasses on again, and a cup of coffee in one hand. No doubt he would be working late tonight.

"Yeah?" She regarded him warily as he stepped closer, towering over her again.

"Going home?" He seemed to change whatever he was going to say, and her eyes narrowed.

"Yeah. Have to get some sleep, had a weird conversation with the voice again last night." 'Nuts', is just the beginning of what he's thinking about me now…

"Really? What did it say this time?" To his amusement, she blushed again, her face a bright red.

"Trust me, you don't want to know…" She tried to force her blush away, but as she did, her dream popped up again, and she found herself wondering what he would do if he found out about it. Probably laugh himself to death. Might be worth a shot, then…

"Is that so?" Amusement was clear in his voice as he looked at her over the rim of his glasses. Yep, it definitely is!

"Yeah. Look, I have to get back home now, or mom thinks Inu kidnapped me or something…" Her voice trailed off as he shut her off rather effectively from passing him. Now what? Games? No fucking way!

"She seems like a sensible woman." She blinked.

"Yeah…?" What's he up to now?

"Thought so…" The low murmur was not what she had expected, and she blinked again.

"Okay, what do you want, Sesshoumaru?" Crossing her arms beneath her breasts, she stared him straight in the eye, waiting patiently for him to continue.

"Just to talk… If you're not in too much of a hurry?" His eyes reflected some odd emotion, something she almost recognized as loneliness, and she sighed.

"Sure… About what?" Instead of answering, he passed her and continued into his office, leaving the door open as invitation. She followed reluctantly.

"Okay, here I am. What do you want to talk about?" She crossed the distance between them fingering her hair nervously. He had put down the coffee on the desk and she followed him with her eyes as he went over to the window. Rolling her eyes at the silence, she went over to him, barely managing to hide a yawn. She was really, really tired…

"I just wanted to show you the garden." She stopped dead at his words, a scowl on her face as the sorrow of his voice reached her, slammed into her with full force. She walked the last steps up to him, watching him from the corner of her eye while pretending to watch the garden.

"It's beautiful." It really was. The starlight and the little light coming from the moon made it dance beneath them, the shadows writhing in an unknown rythm.

Watching him openly now, she touched his arm, startling him. He didn't move though, and somehow they both knew that it was comfort she was offering, not anything else.

He turned to her, dragging her into his arms in a very unexpected embrace, and she looked up into his eyes, trying to find the reason behind his actions. Now, here's your chance, Kagome!

No, I won't do it now, not like this!

Go ahead! Show him what you feel for him!

What? I thought…

Yeah, that's your problem, you're thinking too much! Kiss him!

Muffling the voice into a corner in the back of her head, she wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him down to her. He didn't protest as their lips met, setting fire to her blood again and leaving an odd feeling in her stomach as it deepened.

Breathing heavily as the kiss ended, she leaned on his chest, suddenly feeling very safe and sheltered.

The rest of what would have been chapter 8…

The door opened slowly behind her, and she thought it was Kouga for a moment.

"What do you want now, Kouga?" The gasp behind her was enough for her to turn her head around, meeting the eyes of Inu, Kikyo, Sango and Miroku. Great, the whole bloody gang's here… "Well, what do you want?" She made her voice harsh, trying to keep out the pain as she reached for her clothes on the floor.

"What did he do to you?" Inu's voice was furious, and she turned around again, meeting his eyes.

"I'm naked, in a bed, and you wonder what he did to me?" Her sarcastic voice had no effect on him, more than the fact that he actually looked hurt. I'm sorry, Inu, but I can't stand this right now…

"I'm going to kill him!" He turned around, only to be stopped by Kikyo and Miroku. Sango was hesitantly making her way over to her, watching her with wide eyes. She stared at Kagome, not quite comprehending what was happening to her friend. She had always been one to party, but she had never behaved like these two months before.

"Sango, what's wrong? You look like you've seen a ghost!" Laughing at herself, she laid back down on the pillow behind her again, staring up at the roof.

"Kagome?" Sango's voice was uncertain, and she turned her head back to her again.

"I know… I know… It's rather odd to see me like this, right? But you'll just have to get used to it, because that's the new Kagome… Love me or leave me, I guess…" She wiped away the sudden tear, laughing again as she looked up at the roof again, the slightly hysterical sound enough to quiet down Inu too.

"Kagome, stop it!" She reached her, trying to grab her hand, only to have it flung away as her friend suddenly directed a stare at her that could have been in 'The Exorcist' - she would have won an Oscar for it, in fact. She took a step backwards, not recognizing her at all in the dead, blue depths that belonged to her friend.

"Stop what? I haven't done anything, so there's nothing to 'stop'! Just leave me alone if you're going to act like this, smug and honorable…" Muttering something more, she turned over again, sweeping the cloak of anger around her again. Kouga had been a serious mistake, and she just hoped that he wouldn't try anything else with her later. Which he probably would, judging by her luck again…

"Go away. I don't want you here, got that? Just go back to your happy little world where everything is perfect, and everyone love you and…" She didn't finish the sentence as the dead silence in the room broke into four shouting people. They were all shouting at her, she realized, and she almost laughed. She had no idea what had made her say those words, but she could feel her nerves fray themselves up again, and soon, she wouldn't have any left… And it's all because of ONE bastard…

Sango was by her side again, Inu right behind her, but Kagome didn't acknowledge either of them with more than a glance. She wanted to be alone, to cry out all the pain inside again. She was surprised to feel that Inu was stroking her hair, and as the first tear fell, he leaned down and kissed her cheek, not caring about the others' stares. She turned around, wrapping her arms around his neck and cried into his clothes again.

"I'm s-sor-ry, I-nu… I'm… I'm… so… so s-sorry…" God, what's wrong with me again? I can't keep on acting like this all the time, I have to get a hold on myself!

She felt Sango stroking her hair, and heard the others slowly draw closer to the bed, but it was Inu who held her attention as she sobbed into his clothes. He was the only one who could understand.

Some part of chapter 9?

Staring at his brother all morning wasn't the thing he had had in mind when he woke up the next day, but since the little bastard didn't back down, he was left with nothing else to do.

"A party, Inuyasha?" The cold voice that belonged to their father broke the silence momentarily as he stared at his younger son. Sesshoumaru could barely hold back the smirk as the idiot fiddled with his clothes as not to meet the older man's gaze. He didn't answer though, and that made Inutaisho open his mouth again, but before he could say anything, the little bastard swung his gaze back to Sesshoumaru himself.

"Get out, bastard!" He snorted, looked over to his father who nodded and left the room. Fighting back the urge to eavesdrop, he continued down to the kitchen for some breakfast. It was empty, something he was grateful for as he seated himself at the table, waiting for the coffee to be done. His head ached, probably of Jet-lag and too little sleep caused by her… No, stop thinking about her! Not now, not while the little bastard's still here… Snapping at himself had no effect, however, since he could hear her words echo in his head again…

"By the way… Who was that?"

"That? That was… no one…"

Scowling, he stared straight ahead. He wouldn't give into the temptation of calling her, to humiliate himself even more. The cringing feeling inside was ruthlessly pushed away, leaving the blessed ice in charge again, the ice that had been him for as long as he could remember. The ice that had seen him through school, through college, through his parents divorce… And it would see him through this little crush he apparently held on her too. Pouring the coffee, he left the kitchen, on his way back to his office. The memory of how he had bumped into her last night was somehow hazy, like it had happened a long time ago, and he forced it out of his head.

The downside with having feelings, he thought, was that they was so… unpredictable… You never knew what they would make you do, how you would react to something. He had since long thought himself in control of them, but as she had turned his world upside-down two months ago and spun him in a merry dance, he had learned that it was not the case. But all he had to do was to get rid of them once and for all, and work was a good way to start. If he kept himself occupied with it all the time, he wouldn't have any time left to think about her, and she would soon be gone from his mind.

*****

Staring up in the roof was the only thing she felt like doing today, but as her mother opened the door to let Hojo in, she forced herself up.

"Hi, Kag! How are you?" Like I told your dear friend Kouga last night… Something between being hit by a truck and watch the sports on TV, thank-you-very-much…

"I'm fine, just a little tired."

"Oh. Well… I… I just wanted to get by and check up on you… And-I-wonder-if-you-would-like-to-go-on-a-date-date-with-me-but-if-y ou-don't-want-to-I-understand…" The last had her gaping, and him staring nervously at her.

Now what?

Yes, or no… It's really simple you know…

"Um… I… Well I… Yes, I would very much like to go on a date with you, Hojo…" She could hear herself say those words, the other side of her screaming to stop this, but she pushed it down. Perhaps, what she really needed was Hojo - he would take care of her, and he wouldn't break her heart either.

"Great! When?" He was suddenly somewhere between happy and really, really nervous. He was biting his lip, and she had to supress the urge to say 'boo', just to see what would happen.

"Tomorrow? We can just go for a cup of coffee, if you want to? No need to rush it, right?" She smiled at him, trying not to wince at the blinding smile he returned. Oh, fuck! Now I'm stuck with him!

"Sounds fine! I know just the perfect little café, not far from here!" I bet you would… Kami, what am I doing?

Don't worry, he'll take care of you… He's the nice type, remember?

But I don't want 'the nice type'! I want… I want…

Kouga?

No! Not him! That's an idiot enough to rival the Ice King himself!

'The Ice King'? Sesshoumaru, perhaps?

Yes, who else?

You want him, right?

No! I don't! I just… want someone else than Hojo…

Sesshoumaru… Or 'the Ice King', if you prefer… There's no use in denying it, you know. I am you, you are me…

So I've been told…

Hey, you don't have to be so sarcastic, you know!

I'm not! You're the one taking care of that part!

And don't change the subject!

I'm not!

Noticing Hojo's odd stare, she blushed and shrugged, not up to explaining that she was talking to the little voice in her head. He would probably think her crazy. Perhaps I should tell him? He might leave me alone then…

You could always try…

"Um… I… I'm not feeling so well all of a sudden…" The one thing she liked about Hojo was that he was too nice to push anyone.

"I'll leave you alone then… I'll call you tomorrow, if it's okay?" The nervous grin was back in place again, and she almost winced.

"It'll be just fine… See you tomorrow, then!" He left her room, talking to her mother for a moment outside the door before she heard him go downstairs. Feeling momentarily guilty, she considered calling Inu to hear how he was doing, but another wave of nausea crashed over her then, and she ran to the bathroom, coughing up everything she had left in her stomach at that point. Which wasn't much since it was the third trip that morning.