InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The curse of the dragon ❯ Confrontations ( Chapter 35 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

~<>~ Curse of the Dragon ~<>~

 

~<>~Chapter 35 ~<>~ confrontations

 

 

Kagome and the other two reached the huts before sundown. Before Kagome could even park the car, Rin flew out of it and ran towards the hut, not looking back over her shoulder. Kagome didn't call to her…she could only imagine what was going through the girls mind. `How could Naraku say those things…vile bastard! He should have been tied to that fuckin pipe!' she clenched the steering wheel unconsciously as her eyes narrowed. Even after she had parked the car unknowingly, she sat there, staring straight ahead with a cold stone glare. `That evil son of a bitch…he needs to be stopped! God, that poor girl…I can only imagine what happened, what has gone through her mind. Thank the gods she has Sesshoumaru…she would be so lost without him…without him, she would probably still be with that dickwad!' She felt her eyes begin to tear up and she tried desperately to blink them away. `Poor Souta…if we hadn't…If I hadn't…what is going on right now? I really hope Ryen can protect him! Oh god…what am I going to do? Naraku is holding everything above my head! I feel like I'm drowning! If we try to hurt Naraku, he'll throw the boys in jail to be slaughtered and take Rin and me as his trophies…if we try to run, he'll have Souta killed…if we don't do anything, Souta dies. We have to bring him down…' she felt a hand on her shoulder and slowly realized that someone had opened her car door. She turned slowly to find herself gazing into two very disgruntled yet worried amber eyes. She closed her eyes, trying to keep in her tears.

InuYasha grimaced…he heard what Naraku had said to her…he knew what Naraku was planning. There was no way in hell he would ever let Naraku hurt Kagome or Rin…it would be over his dead body. He watched silently as Rin jumped from the moving car when they entered the parking lot. He could tell both girls were trying their hardest to keep in their tears. `All I have to fear is dying…they have to worry about living. Sometimes it easier to let someone die…and harder to live. I think I understand now what Sesshoumaru meant by that.' he watched as Kagome sat perfectly still in the drivers seat and could smell her aggravation, her frustration…her utter despair. Climbing out of the backseat, he pulled open her door slowly and squatted down next to her seat. When she looked at him, he felt his breath catch in his throat. She looked so lost…that she had given up all hope. Standing and ignoring the painful abrasions on his arms, InuYasha reached into the car, unbuckled Kagome's seat belt and pulled her from the vehicle. Cradling her to his chest, he kicked the door closed then slid down to the ground, holding her tightly in his lap on the dirt ridden parking lot ground. Gently he wrapped one hand around her head and his other around her stomach. Leaning down he kissed her gently on her forehead. That started the waterworks. Kagome began to hysterically sob into his shoulder, burying her face as she did. Unable to sooth her pain, unable to make it go away, InuYasha simply held her, feeling utterly helpless. It tore at his heart, hearing the way she wailed into the dusk. He fought to keep his emotions under control; sure, he wanted to crawl up into a ball, admit that they had their Asses in a corner…he had to fight with every human emotion in his body to keep himself from joining her in the tears of misery. She needed him to be strong…she needed to be able to count on him. He never wanted to her to think for a moment that should couldn't. So for a little over thirty minutes, the two sat on the ground, Kagome's face buried in Inuyasha's black tee shirt sobbing endless rivers of torrent tears, and InuYasha softly hushing her, kissing her, trying to steal away her pain to no avail. For a half hour, the world around them shattered then, and yet as the sun set over the rugged mountains, it began to piece itself back together. Kagome's tears came to slow, and then stop and InuYasha regained a glimmer of hope. Both knew what needed to be done…they needed to find Karron.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

A very similar scene was unfolding inside of the hut a few hundred feet from the other parking lot couple. Rin had burst through the door and before Sesshoumaru could get up from the cot, she had flung herself into his arms, knocking the two of them back into the bed. His glimmer of a smile was subdued immediately when he smelled her tears. Encasing her in his arms, he hushed her and gently rocked her. He wanted to know what happened, he wanted to demand answers…he wanted to rip his brother's throat out for letting his Rin get upset. When Kagome and InuYasha didn't follow her through the door, he began to worry. Hugging her tighter to his chest, he lowered his lips to her forehead and kissed her lightly. He then let his head travel down to her ear and gently called to her, "Rin…what happened? What's wrong?" using one claw, he gently pulled ebony hair out from the girl's face and tucked it behind her ear.

Rin inhaled sharply and let out another sob. She didn't want to cry…crying around Sesshoumaru made her feel weak, yet she knew that she was safe to do so. He would protect her…hold her…comfort her. That's what she needed. She wanted to make Naraku's words go away…she wanted to make all of this disappear. Trying to talk over her sobs, her voice was strained and rasp, "Souta…was arrested…" she hiccupped and buried her face deeper in Sesshoumaru's chest, "for…for…killing Diegosan…"

Miroku and Sango who had been watching silently from the other cot gasped and glanced at each other. Sango stood quickly and walked to the door. She glared out of it, scanning the parking lot for the other two. Hidden by the metal barrier of the Kagome's Mercedes-Benz, she could not see them. She closed the door that Rin had left ajar and looked back at the new attachment to Sesshoumaru's chest. "Rin, where are InuYasha and Kagome?"

Rin pointed to the door but did not look up, she simply cried her soul out.

Sesshoumaru glared at Sango, annoyance in his gaze. `How dare she try to get Rin to talk in this state…my baka brother can take care of his wench…' he lightly sighed, realizing how overbearing he was and shook his head slowly, trying to tell Sango to back off. He hushed Rin as she sobbed and ran his hand in small circles up and down her back. `Whoever did this…whoever caused her suffering…I will end their life.'

Finally when she had calmed down, she met his eyes for the first time since that morning. Taking a deep breath and turned her head to rest her left cheek on his right shoulder, so she could address everyone in the room; after all, now everyone was included in on this war. "At school, cops arrested Souta for the murder of Diegosan…" she took another breath, trying to calm her nerves. She could feel her body begin to radiate the hate that had been building up somewhere in the back of her mind. "Kagome, Yash and me were going to go to the police station to bale him out…but…Kagome saw Naraku on the way out of the school and demanded to talk to him…"

Miroku winched as he propped himself up on the bed. His arm was not feeling any better and a part of him only felt weaker. He knew he needed more then just vodka to sterilize the wound and the more he thought about the fact that he might lose his arm, the angrier he got. "What did that bastard have to say?"

Rin grimaced and lifted her head to meet Sesshoumaru's worried and rather angry gaze. "Well…I didn't get out of the car until InuYasha nearly ripped the guys head off but Naraku told Kagome that he would trade Souta's life for hers." She heard Sango gasp, Miroku mutter `fucker' under his breath and she could feel Sesshoumaru begin to growl. She frowned and closed her eyes, "needless to say, InuYasha was not a happy camper. We went to the police station and left Inu in the car and went inside. The reporting officer was a friend of Naraku's…a guy that unfortunately I know. He gave us the run around until Naraku showed up and then they…" she could feel Sesshoumaru dig his nails into the cot's metal frame beneath them at what he thought happened. She let out a small sigh and continued, "they only reiterated how Naraku wanted Kagome…then another cop showed up…a sergeant I'm going to take a guess from America, though he said he was in Kyushu for a while…named Onuni Ryen. He said that he ran the building…he talked to us about Souta. Apparently Diegosan had been shot, tied to a water main, shot five more times and left there to burn in the blaze. He doesn't think Souta did it…"

Sango stomped on the ground and put a hand to her face. She paced for a moment before letting out a scream of frustration and dropping to the floor, propping her elbow on her knee and resting her chin in her hand. "Souta would never, ever, be able to do something like that! Never! He's a jerk at points, sure, what fifteen-year-old boy isn't? But he would never…no…he could not have done that."

Rin sat up, straddling Sesshoumaru's waist and nodded, her gaze meeting Sango's. "I agree but…there's more…his prints were found on the gun that matches the bullet shells that killed Diegosan."

Miroku sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose with his right hand. "So he was there…with a gun…." He looked up as realization dawned on his eyes, "He must have been the person to get InuYasha away from Diegosan that day…with Karron and Surron. They both claimed that they did not shoot Diegosan…I guess they weren't lying…."

Rin nodded in agreement, "I think he did shoot Diegosan…one time though. I think Karron set the fire and Surron carried Yash out of there…but then someone else came, used the gun that Souta probably dropped and killed Diegosan."

Sesshoumaru reached up and wiped the remaining tears that coursed Rin's cheeks away. He gave her a small smile before lifting her into his arms. He turned to sit on the cot and put her in his lap. Wrapping his arms around her shoulders, he gave the other three a perplexed look, "someone else showed up?"

Rin nodded again and chewed on her bottom lip. "I think…. Naraku, in the police report, said that he was not at the club that night…but InuYasha followed his scent there. So Naraku lied. I'll bet my life on the fact that Naraku killed his father."

Sango's eyes lit up in disgust yet held an understanding knowledge about them, "your right…I'm sure he did. Think about it, he'd inherit his father's company…they probably had a falling out when he lost his control on you Rin…"

At that thought, Rin shivered and remembered Naraku's words. `"because you were…are…my property, Rin, and anyone that touches my property deserves death."'

The flinch did not go unnoticed by Sesshoumaru who only tightened his grasp on the girl. "Rin…what did he say to you?"

Rin closed her eyes and wished the memory away. She didn't want to remember his words…his threats. She didn't want to remember him. "I don't want to talk about it…"

Sesshoumaru gave the other two a glance then lifted Rin in his lap and turned her around to face him. He shuffled her bangs as he stared into her eyes. "Rin…his words cannot hurt you. He says them only because he knows he no longer has a hold on you. He is trying to terrorize you Rin…don't let him…don't give him that control. You're stronger then that Rin…your stronger then any of this."

Rin swallowed hard and tried to rest her head on Sesshoumaru's shoulder. Moving his hand from her hair to her shoulder, he forced her back and grasped her chin with his other hand. He met her gaze and forced her to look at him. He wasn't demanding or ruff but he wanted answers…he deserved to know. She felt tears forming in her eyes regardless of his words… `He's right; Naraku is still trying to worm his way back into my life. I want him gone but I can't forget…I can't just ignore the pain's he's caused me…' with a deep breath, she blinked slowly, "he said, on more then one account, that I am still his toy and he will get me back…that anyone who stands between him and what he wants will die. He…" her voice fell away as she watched the fury ignite in Sesshoumaru. She knew he was trying to stay clam…that he was trying to control his anger in front of her. His face contorted back to his very stoic expression that he hardly used around her as he gently moved her from his lap. Standing up, he bent down and kissed the top of Rin's head. Her eyes flew open in panic and she jumped to her feet. "Sesshoumaru?"

Sesshoumaru regarded her out of the corner of his eyes as he put on his shoes. Rin could see his hands shaking in rage…she could sense it coming off of him in waves. Standing up, he walked towards the door without another word.

Rin was on her feet in a second, grabbing his arm from behind him. "Sesshoumaru!" her voice was full of panic and new tears began to stream her face…but these tears were different…they were tears of worry, tears of dread. She knew if he walked out that door she would never see him again. Throwing her weight backwards, she sat on her heels trying to pull him back. "Please…please Sesshoumaru…not like this, don't leave like this!" she began to sob as she tried to pull him back. "Please!" her voice became shrill as she glared over her shoulder at the startled Sango and Miroku. "Help me! For Christ's sakes, help me!" she stared back at Sesshoumaru and pulled harder at his arm. "Please, Sesshoumaru, please! Don't leave me…"

Sesshoumaru had paused in the door, every emotion slipping across his face as his heart broke listening to her screaming behind him. he could have easily ripped his arm from the young girls grasp. He could have easily walked away to seek retribution. Instead he paused. Closing his eyes, he let his mind call out to anyone who would listen…to a person who he hadn't talked to in more then ten years. `Father…what do I do? Help me…I don't know! Do I go after this bastard for revenge? Do I stay here to protect Rin? What if I can't protect her? What if I can't defeat Naraku?' clenching his free hand into a fist, he pulled his arm from Rin's grasp and slammed his other hand into the wall, putting a hole in the plaster. Throwing his head back, he let out such a primal howl that it shook the walls of the hut. Blood ran down his arm from his hand that was engrained in the wall but he didn't notice.

Rin had let out a yelp when Sesshoumaru slammed his fist into the wall. She had expected him to walk from the building all together…and walk to his death. She had expected him to leave her. But now… she ran around to his front and threw her arms around him. "Don't leave me…please Sesshoumaru. If you walk out of here, now, like this…I'll never see you again. I just know it. Please…please don't leave me like this. I love you…please…."

At that moment, the door swung open and InuYasha ran in, his eyes wild as he gazed about the hut. First he noticed was that Rin a foot in front of him, hugging his brother, whose fist was in the wall. Letting out a deep sigh, InuYasha sat back on his heels. "What the fuck was that? I thought someone fuckin…."

Sesshoumaru let his angry gaze fall to his brother. Pushing Rin gently to the side, he took a step towards InuYasha, whose face contorted to a type of subtle fear, and grabbed him by his neck and slammed him into the wall. He growled as he brought his face inches from his brother's. "You were supposed to protect her! You were supposed to keep her away from that asshole? Was that to fucking much to ask? Was it?"

Rin was at Sesshoumaru's side in an instant, grabbing his hand trying to break InuYasha free. "Please…Sesshoumaru…let him go, it's not his fault. I should have let them deal with it. I chose to get involved…Sesshoumaru, let him go!" Sesshoumaru chose to ignore the younger girl at his side and continued to growl at his brother, tightening his grasp on his neck. Rin stomped her foot as Kagome entered the hut. "Sesshoumaru Tashio, if you do not put down that boy right now I swear to god I will never let you finish what we started this morning!"

Sesshoumaru snapped his head to glare at Rin, and then let his eyes travel to Kagome. Her eyes were bloodshot and she was on the boarder of crying again, seeing her lover pinned to the wall under his vicious grasp. With a very deep scowl, he let go of the boy and allowed him to slide down the wall. Taking a step back, he raised an eyebrow to Rin as if asking if she was happy now. He turned on his heels and walked away from his gasping brother and sat down on his cot, staring straight ahead.

Rin kneeled down next to InuYasha and put a hand on his shoulder. "Are you okay?"

InuYasha scowled and stood slowly, "fucking perfect Rin."

Kagome glanced from InuYasha to Kagome to Sesshoumaru and back again and demanded, "someone tell me what the hell I missed!"

Rin stood and quickly embraced her friend who stood baffled in the doorway. "I told him about Naraku…"

Kagome hugged Rin back as understanding filtered into her face. "Oh."

InuYasha stood up slowly while rubbing his sore throat and glared daggers at the boy. "You think I'm fucking okay with the shit he said to Kagome, bastard?" he threw a threatening glance at Rin, "did you tell him about that shit? That he threatened to rape her…that he's actually fuckin blackmailing her?"

Rin nodded while slowly pulling away from Kagome. Both girls were in tears again at the hanyou's words. They tried to repress how dire their situation had become but the truth was drowning them both…there might be no light at the end of the tunnel.

InuYasha rolled his eyes and let out a low growl, "I don't fuckin like it either Sesshoumaru, but its been said. We can't attack Naraku at school, we'll be arrested, we can't get him in public, and we'll be arrested. That leaves the only way to get him being a private attack. We need to get him at his own home."

Rin let out a dull laugh and shook her head. "And you think Fort Knox is protected? You need to see his mansion. I've been there twice…once with my dad…" she stared at the floor and took a deep breath, forgoing the other instance. "What if we were to get him to admit on tape what he did…that he killed Diegosan."

Sesshoumaru shook his head no. "it's illegal to tape record someone without his or her strict knowledge…except in the New Jersey…. The evidence would be inadmissible."

Rin frowned and wrapped her arms around her waist. "Well…what if he knew?"

InuYasha scowled and tapped her head with a claw. "Earth to Rin…why the hell would Naraku willingly admit that he killed his own father on tape? He might be a bastard but he's a smart bastard!"

Rin shrugged and began to pace, "what if he was told he was being recorded for something that he agreed to and then…the tape recorder was left there?"

Sesshoumaru stood up, knowing exactly where she was going with this. "The hell you are going in there with a tape recorder! Anyone of us who go into that house will not come out alive!" he grabbed Rin's hands and pulled her into his chest. "especially you…if he ever gets his hands on you…"

Rin kissed Sesshoumaru's chin and pulled back. "he doesn't want me Sesshoumaru…he would gladly pass me over to get at Kagome…she's who he wanted the entire time…I know that, he knows that and now she knows it. he never saw me…he would sooner kill me then…" she looked to the floor and sighed.

Kagome snapped her fingers, for the first time that day, a smile encompassing her face. Forgoing the other conversation, an idea popped into her head. "No…but what if he didn't know that they were helping us?"

Miroku frowned and rubbed his arm. "That's far fetched…and if it didn't work…then what? What if he figured it out…then we ourselves another person to put a guard on…a guard that we don't have."

Kagome tapped her chin with a finger and sighed. "It would be worth a try…I have a tape recorder at home. I have a good plan also. Why don't me and Rin go back to my…"

Sesshoumaru and InuYasha both perked up at that thought, their eyes narrowing with displeasure. "The hell you are going anywhere…" InuYasha began…"by yourselves…you will have one of us with you at all times. That's…." Sesshoumaru added and InuYasha finished his sentence with, "the end of that discussion. Learn to like it."

The girls looked at each other and chocked back their giggles. Rin took Sesshoumaru's hands in hers. "I love you…"

Sesshoumaru responded with a gentle kiss on the girl's lips while muttering, "I'm serious. You're not going out of my sight."

Kagome sighed and shook her head slowly, "you two really are brothers, aren't you?" she could just about feel Sesshoumaru's fiery glare at her back. She grinned at InuYasha then chewed on her lip. "Okay, Sesshoumaru, you need to take Rin and go to see Karron…"

Rin sighed and shook her head, "she won't talk to me…I hardly know Karron."

Sesshoumaru cracked his knuckles and popped his neck to the side, "she'll talk if she values her life."

Kagome rolled her eyes and sighed. "I need to go back to my house…InuYasha…you could take Rin…"

Sesshoumaru growled and wrapped his arms around Rin's waist. "Last time I let him out with her alone, she cried for a half hour…do you really think I'm going to let that happen again? She's not leaving my sight."

Kagome blinked once then snapped back, "Deal with it. You have to trust your brother. He won't let anything happen to her."

Sesshoumaru scoffed and met his brother's gaze. "I've heard that before."

InuYasha winched and let out a small sigh. "Look, I know that Rin should not have talked to Naraku but I really didn't have much control over that fact. Sorry….but Kagome's right, we just need to deal right now…we need to figure out what we're going to do about Souta."

Kagome nodded in agreement. "We need Karron's account of the incident and I need my tape recorder. Sesshoumaru, you're with me…we'll take my car…InuYasha, you'll take Rin to go see Karron with Sango's car."

InuYasha growled louder then Sesshoumaru at the proposal but chose not vocalize his objections. Instead, he stood up grumbling and held out his hand to Sango, waiting for her keys. Sango hesitantly handed them to the hanyou and gave him a doubtful stare. "If you mess up my car…"

InuYasha snatched them away and rolled his eyes, "Christ Sango, I know how to drive. Fuckin A!"

Sango rolled her eyes and looked at Kagome. Patting Miroku on the knee, she asked hesitantly, "What can we do?"

Sesshoumaru grabbed Kagome's hand and was pulling her from the hut before she could give her a good answer. Over his shoulder, Sesshoumaru called back, "keep that lecher from dying."

InuYasha slapped Miroku on his back and gave him a smirk, "you got it easy, monk, sit around and get pampered. Fucking lucky monk…fuckin lucky." He walked from the hut, not checking to see if Rin was following. As far as he was concerned, he could do this by himself. "Oi, Kagome!"

Kagome turned as she reached her car to look at the boy. Sesshoumaru had already sat himself in the drivers seat and had started the car. "Yeah?"

InuYasha gave her a small helpless smile and asked, "Where the hell is Karron's club?"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~

InuYasha pulled Sango's BMW up to the front of the old brick building. He threw Rin an apprehensive glance then walked towards the building. He didn't like the way it looked…he didn't like it at all. Reaching the Iron Gate, he pushed it open then walked to the door. There was a small intercom on the brick surface that he pressed hesitantly. He glanced at Rin and gave her a firm nod, as if telling her to prepare. A gruff voice called back, "who da fuck are ya? What do you want?"

InuYasha rolled his eyes and hit the button again, "I need to talk to Karron. Let us in."

The voice boomed back from the small box, "go the fuck away…she ain't here. She don't live here no more."

InuYasha growled and pounded his fist into the button, "the fuck she doesn't. Open this damned door or so help me god, I'll kick it down, Surron!"

The voice came back, slightly garbled, "who the fuck are you?"

Rin hit Inuyasha's shoulder and gave him a deadpanned stare. "We don't have time for these games!"

InuYasha nodded and lifted his foot. With a swift kick, he knocked the door off its hinges, sending it flying ten feet into the building. He heard gasps and someone shout `police' from inside. He grabbed Rin's hand, and pulling her close, they walked into the building. He watched in awe as younger kids, probably freshmen and sophomores in high school, scattered about the large warehouse like room.

Surron appeared as if from nowhere, and grabbed InuYasha. Pulling him off the ground by the scruff of his neck, he glared daggers at the boy. "Who the fuck are you?" he blinked and took a harder look then with an annoyed sigh, he dropped the hanyou to the ground. "Damn, InuYasha…the least you could have done was say your fuckin name! You got this place in an uproar for nothing!" he hit a button on the wall and called into the black box, "False alarm, resume your activities. I repeat, no code blue…false alarm." He turned back and sneered at the two in front of him. "well, answer my damn question."

InuYasha gave him a sarcastic smile and brushed off his pants. "Fuck you Surron…where's Karron?"

Surron frowned and crossed his arms. "I heard about Souta…that's a shame…"

Rin stepped out from behind InuYasha, fury engulfing her face, "then you know that he didn't do what they say he did! We need to know exactly what happened that night, and we need to know now! Naraku is threatening to have Souta executed for those supposed crimes. There is no way that Souta would have tied Diegosan to a rail."

Surron ran his eyes over Rin and gave her an annoyed stare before retuning his gaze to InuYasha, choosing to ignore the girl in front of him. "Man, you're just a pimp aren't you? First coming in here with that fine piece…"

InuYasha cracked the bones in his right hand before shoving the man in front of him into a wall, leaving a sickening echo of crumbling plaster. "I'm sick of your shit, Surron. Just tell me where the fuck to find Karron! I'm not playing your games!"

Surron clawed at the boy's hands before giving up and pointing to the elevator. "Third story first rooms on your left…knock first…."

InuYasha dropped the man to the floor with a snarl and grabbed Rin's hand. "Come on…"

Rin made a face at Surron then trailed behind InuYasha, her eyes bright with anticipation. They ran into the elevator and began the ride up to the third story. "He didn't really think me and you were…"

InuYasha rolled his eyes and gave her a really pissed off glance, "he's a guy…he just assumed seeing you with me means that I'm screwing you."

Rin made another face and tensed up. "That's just wrong…why do all guys think with their dicks? Can you explain that to me?"

InuYasha threw a disgruntled look to the girl next to him, "what are you getting at?"

Rin shrugged and raised an eyebrow at him. "Nothing…nothing at all."

InuYasha sighed and shook his head. "Not all guys think with their…"

Rin jumped out of the elevator as it opened the rusty metal doors, "sure you don't. Look, there's Karron's room."

InuYasha swaggered behind her for a moment, his eyes boring holes into her back. "I do not…"

Rin turned and glared at the boy, "look, just knock on her door and lets get this over with. I don't feel comfortable here."

InuYasha nodded and nearly banged on the door. Rin grabbed his hand before he got the chance and threw him a look. There was a loud thump in the room and then a groan. The two looked at each other and InuYasha pushed Rin back behind him. Rearing back, he threw his left leg forward and kicked open the door and took two steps inside. "Karron are you…." He froze mid step in the doorway. Rin ran into his back as she attempted to follow him in. "What in the seven layers of hell…"

Rin peered around InuYasha froze. A look of complete disgust danced across her face as she pulled back a step. "You have got to be kidding me…"

A shoe was flung from across the room and nearly clipped Inuyasha's nose as he jolted out of its trajectory. Even downstairs the girls scream could be heard, "get out!"

InuYasha didn't argue as he pulled Rin back out of the door. The two just stared at each other until a figure appeared in the doorway. Karron had a black robe on that covered the top of her naked thighs and her hair was tousled about her head. They stared at each other for a moment, an awkward silence passing between them. InuYasha clasp his hands in front of his body and rocked back and forth on his heels, discomfort in his eyes. "So…"

Karron narrowed her eyes and spat at him, "who the hell are you to knock down my fucking door?"

InuYasha met her disgruntled glare and shook his head slowly, narrowing his eyes in revulsion. "Wow, this is all really coming together now…I thought I understood it before but this just brought this game to a new level of fucked up. Why I knocked down your door? Well fuckin excuse me but we heard a thump and figure with all the shit going on, you were in danger…"

Rin finished his sentence, leaning against the opposing wall slowly shaking her head, "but who would have known that you only fell out of your bed…excuse me…that you two fell out of your bed cause you don't know how to keep your legs closed." She sneered at Karron and shook her head again. "InuYasha, I think I understand exactly what happened…this cunt set Souta up."

InuYasha flinched at Rin's language and looked at her over his shoulder. Boy did she look pissed and he didn't blame her. Souta was like her younger brother. He glared back at Karron.

Karron took a step towards Rin but was blocked by InuYasha. "You little whore, you think you're anyone to talk to me? Are we going to talk about your excursions with that asshole that you're fucking?"

A hand clamped down on Karron's shoulders and after jumping slight, she rubbed her cheek against it. Backing into the room, another figure took her place. A figure clad in only a pair of jeans. Leaning on the door doorframe, supporting himself on his two outstretched arms, he glanced from the broken door back to the fuming hanyou in front of him. With a sneer, he asked, "what that really necessary baka?"

InuYasha took a step closer to the man in front of him. "Go fuck yourself Naraku." Glancing back at Karron, he shook his head, "you know, you had us going with that pity story about your father and mother and Diegosan…how long did it take to come up with you backstabbing bitch?"

Karron gave a cynical laugh from behind them and shrugged her shoulders; "it was easy to lead you into believing. Not that it's a lie…Diegosan did kill my father…but my father was a bastard and deserved his death."

Rin took a step towards InuYasha. "Did your sisters?"

Karron sneered at the girl and blinked a few times before looking away, "it doesn't matter…I got my revenge killing that son of a bitch…"

InuYasha shook his head, digesting what she just said, "and its okay to sleep with his son…who mind you is a carbon copy of that bastard!"

Naraku growled at the boy in front of him, "watch your fuckin mouth, you half breed scum…"

InuYasha glared at Naraku and took a step closer to him, "look who's calling the kettle black."

Naraku clenched his hand into a fist and returned the glower. "Do you want to finish this here, half-breed?"

Rin gawked at Naraku for a moment. "You were playing Souta the whole time, weren't you Karron? You set him up to trust you then got him to go on that fake rescue mission…then you used his gun to kill Diegosan."

Karron shot a whimsical glance at Naraku then looked at the girl, "I don't know what you're talking about Rin. Surron and I saw InuYasha in trouble so we saved him…" she shot him a disgusted look, "we should have let you die. But Souta…Souta shot Diegosan five times…said that he killed his father. I tired to stop him…" she gave the girl a nasty grin and turned her back to the two. "Come Naraku, I'm not done yet."

Naraku looked over his shoulder at the girl then back at InuYasha. "Tell Kagome I say hello…but then again, I'm sure I'll see her soon enough to tell her myself." He looked to Rin and let his eyes roam over her body before settling on her face, "Rin, if you get bored with that demon…I'll think of letting you make up your treachery to me…" He moved to close the door then frowned, realizing it was shattered in two. "Karron…."

Inuyasha's jaw trembled in anger but he kept it clenched…this was not the place to start a fight. He turned and grabbed Rin's arm and began pulling her down the hallway. Rin glared daggers over her shoulder at the smirking form of Naraku behind her. She felt something in her brain snap as she pulled out of Inuyasha's grasp. She took a step to run at Naraku…to wipe that shit eating grin off his face when InuYasha reached out and grabbed her again. "No Rin, not now!" Rin's body bucked against his trying to break free and InuYasha, having no other choice, picked her up off the floor and draped her over his shoulder. Holding her tight, he got into the elevator. Pointing a finger at Naraku, he screamed out, "this isn't over!"

Naraku grinned as the door shut. "Not by a long shot."

Karron wrapped an arm over Naraku's shoulders and brought her mouth to his neck, "come on baby, lets go back to bed…who gives a fuck about the door."

Naraku turned slowly and stared at the girl next to him. He blinked once then grabbed his shirt off the floor. Putting it on slowly, he called to the baffled girl, "your services are no longer needed Karron."

Karron shook her head and stared at him dumbfounded. "Wait, what? I thought…you said…that if I helped you kill…."

Naraku sneered at the girl and barked back, "I know what I said, you stupid bitch, and now hear what I'm saying. I. Don't. Need. You. We're done here."

Karron blocked the doorway, fury etching her face. "I helped you set up that stupid punk…I helped you kill a man!"

Naraku raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms. "I thank you for that…I also thank you for your efforts in bed. They were…delightful. Now if you excuse me, I need to make my exit before that baka tells your brother I am here."

Karron grabbed Naraku's arm and yelled, "you can't just leave me like this!"

Naraku looked at her hand on his arm then back at her. With a shove, he pushed Karron to the floor and turned from her, "watch me. You were a pawn, Karron…a mere piece of my plot. Nothing more. You're a fool if you think that for one moment I would want some piece of trash like you." his eyes suddenly softened and he dropped down to squat in front of her. he traced her face with two fingers and gave her a sad smile. "I'm sorry Karron…I should not have said that. You're not trash…"

Karron blinked once, the obvious pain and uncertainty filtering through her eyes. "I…. I'm not…"

Naraku's smile fell from his lips as he slapped her across her face, sending her wheeling to the floor. "You're not trash…trash is picked up." with a sneer, he stood slowly.

Karron's eyes grew large and filled with tears immediately. "You…you fucking bastard! How could you? I'll get you, you son of a bitch! I'll tell the cops! I'll tell the fucking FBI!"

Naraku stiffened his neck and reached into his back pocket. Pulling a .22 caliber, he turned and aimed it at Karron, "do you wish to live?"

Karron gasped and tried to back up on her hands. "Y…yes."

Naraku cocked the gun and fired once, hitting the floorboard two inches from Karron's hand. "Then keep your fucking mouth shut, you whore. Understood?"

Karron nodded, her eyes falling to the floor as Naraku walked down the hallway and out of her life.

<<<<Downstairs>>>>

The elevator door opened and a swearing hanyou stormed out carrying to petite figure of a human girl on his shoulder. Surron stood by the door, carefully watching the two as they approached. InuYasha slammed past the guard and as he made his way out the now broken frame, Rin called out bitterly, "Surron, if you hurry upstairs, you'll find your whore of a sister is fucking Naraku!"

Surron's eyes widened as he turned in a second and took the steps with speed no man his size should possess.

Getting to Sango's car, InuYasha put Rin on her feet and swore. "That fucking bitch! This entire fucking time…the entire god damned time she was two-timing Souta to set him up. That fucking cunt! Son of a bitch!" walking in a circle, he growled then pulled out his pack of smokes from his pocket and stuck a cigarette in his mouth. Flopping down on his ass on the hood of Sango's car, he grabbed a match from the book in his pocket and ran it across his sneaker. Getting a decent flame from it, he lit up the stick in his mouth. He inhaled deeply and growled on the release. "That fucking whore."

Rin sat down next to him, shaking her head slowly. "I can't believe…I mean…. that's just not…." She closed her eyes and leaned her head on Inuyasha's shoulder. "Who would want to sleep with that asshole?"

InuYasha inhaled again then took the stick from his mouth and held it out to Rin, who shook her head in response. He stuck it back in the corner of his mouth and draped an arm over Rin's shoulder and pulled her against him. "We'll work it out…if she set him up as well then she'll fall with the rest of them. I guarantee that."

Rin rubbed his hand that rested on her shoulder and nodded. "I still can't believe that tramp…I mean, Naraku, of all people. That's disgusting. Not in a thousand years would I ever…." She shivered at the thought. She was just as pissed as InuYasha, if not more. Souta was like her little brother…and all this time he was sleeping with the enemy. The boy's first love…a traitor. She shook her head slowly, disgust overwhelming her heart.

InuYasha inhaled again and blinked away the calm that the nicotine was inducing on his body. He wanted to stay angry…he wanted to keep his blood running off his hatred. It made him feel alive…made him feel good. With a sigh, he dropped the cigarette to the ground. Letting go of Rin, he slid off the car and smote the cigarette under his shoe. "Fucking hell." InuYasha nearly ripped the door off its bolts as he got into the car and slammed the door, cracking the glass. "Son of a bitch!" he slammed his hand into the steering wheel before turning on the car and throwing it in to drive. "Now we're really fucked."

Rin sighed as she got into her side of the car and looked from the angry hanyou to the crack in the car that Sango considered her child. "Your right…Sango is really going to kill you."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Kagome and Sesshoumaru pulled up in front of her house and Kagome got out of the car slowly. Throwing a glance at Sesshoumaru, she looked around nervously. "You should stay here…"

Sesshoumaru was halfway out of the car before she could even get the words out of her mouth. "There could be someone waiting for you inside…I am not going to sit here and wait while you get your throat slit."

Kagome unconsciously put a hand to her neck before shaking her head. "Come on, my mom should not be here…"

As she reached for the door, it opened on its own. She let out a yelp and Sesshoumaru grabbed her to shove her behind his back then paused. A man in a very familiar black leather trench coat, sunglasses, and hat stood in their way blocking the door. Sesshoumaru growled as the man tilted his head, glancing at the two in slight shock. He hadn't expected someone to be coming into the house as he was going out. Though it was dark, the two male demons could see each other perfectly.

Kagome was scared shitless when the man came out of her house but recognition washed over her face in a second. She heard Sesshoumaru growling and turned to notice he was about to rip the heart out of the detective in front of her. Gasping, she grabbed one of his arms. "Wait, Sesshoumaru, no! He's a detective…the one Rin told you about. His name is…"

"Sergeant Onuni Ryen. He's helping on Souta's case."

Kagome peered around the man in her door to see her mother standing behind him, looking rather pale. "Mom, you're still here?"

Sesshoumaru narrowed his eyes at the man and looked over his attire. With a low growl, he crossed his arms, "why do you look familiar?"

Ryen stared over the demon for a moment before shaking his head slowly, "I worked in Kyushu for a while…knowing your brother's rap doesn't help…I'm sure you saw me in the office before when you were bailing him out of jail during one of his twenty plus visits."

Kagome grimaced as her mother stared at her from the detective's words and raised a disapproving eyebrow. `Great thing to say Ryen…I thought I managed to convince the boy my mom walked in on me having sex in the shower with was a decent guy, you mention that he's a felon…great.' She could feel the tinge of red that spread like a rash over her cheeks as she suddenly found her carpet very intrusting.

Sesshoumaru narrowed his eyes and looked to Kagome. "Get what you need."

Kagome nodded swiftly and rushed inside. Pausing, she hugged her mother and whispered, "It's going to be okay…we'll clear Souta's name."

Kagome's mother nodded slowly and looked around Ryen at the other boy outside and gasped. "You must be Sesshoumaru…"

Sesshoumaru broke away from his staring contest with the new officer to give Kagome's mother a short nod of the head. "Hai."

Kagome's mother put a hand to her mouth as she took a step closer to him. "You look so much like your father…"

Sesshoumaru seemed shocked, though his remained impassive, and shook his head once. "You knew my father?"

Kagome's mother nodded and gave him a sad smile. "Yes, yes I did. We were the closest of friends when we were your age. I'm sorry to hear of his death." She took a step closer and tilted her head to her shoulder, "On a better day I could have confused you for him…your nearly his carbon copy." She suddenly grimaced at the word and looked to her hands.

Sesshoumaru didn't vocalize it but he noticed the quick flicker of her eyes from him to the guard in front of him when she said the word `sorry'. He slowly looked back to the guard and narrowed his eyes. Speaking to Ms. Higurashi but not wavering his glare, he commented, "it was a long time ago and he was a man I hardly knew. There is nothing to be sorry for, besides for the fact that the woman who killed him still walks free." He looked to the ground then back at her mother. "I have been told I look just like how he did. I can hardly remember the man." His eyes shifted to the man on his left and he narrowed his eyes. "You're a demon."

Ryen seemed taken back but being that Sesshoumaru could not see his face; he could not judge the reaction. "Observant, aren't you?"

Sesshoumaru raised an eyebrow. "Yes, I am. I also have noticed that you are masking your scent as a demon…why?"

Ryen let out a shallow laugh and shook his head, "it's called a shower, son…it can wash away anything."

Sesshoumaru growled and narrowed his eyes. "So can a concealment spell. Tell me, who is it that you hide from?"

Ryen took a step closer to the other demon, his chin held high. "I'm not hiding boy, I'm merely observing."

Sesshoumaru shook his head slowly, looking the man over head to toe. "I would be to say you are hiding under all those layers of clothes and concealments. You mask your scent so you will not be detected…why?"

Ryen laughed callously and looked from Sesshoumaru to Ms. Higurashi, "it is easier to maneuver around my district when one cannot follow my scent. It also makes it easier to watch over those who need to be…when they cannot smell you, they do not know you are near."

The answer shut up Sesshoumaru though he seemed slightly agitated.

Kagome watched the three's interactions before running upstairs into her room. She dug through her desk and pulled out two tape recorders. One being a hand held one she used when she worked for the newspaper for the school and the other was a mini tape recorder that fit in the palm of her hand. With a grin, she grabbed her diary and pulled out a hundred dollar bill. `Now I can pay that sleaze ball Bob and make sure he doesn't bother us. Thank god for late holiday money.' She ran back down the steps and darted around the corner, glad to see that no one had moved from their previous positions. She glanced back to the kitchen and froze. Two cups of coffee were set out on the table with a two plates of half eaten food. She narrowed her eyes and turned to stare at her mother. "Mom…who was here for diner?"

Her mother gave a short gasp of shock, not hearing her daughter approach her, and whirled around to face her. "Oh, when I went to talk to Souta at the police station, sergeant Onuni offered to escort me back here. I had told him of your warnings. Neither us had eaten so…"

Kagome made a thin line of her lips as she read into her mother's blank expression. `There is something she's not telling me…I can see it in her eyes. What's wrong…what happened?' she reached out and touched her mother's arm and gave her a small frown. "Mama, what's wrong?"

Kagome's mother looked from Kagome back to Ryen and then back at Kagome. Without warning, she pulled Kagome into a bear hug and put her lips to the girl's forehead, "be careful Kagome, please be careful! I can't lose you both…I can't lose you or your brother." She sniffled and Kagome could feel her mother's tears hitting her shoulder. "Kagome, Sergeant Ryen told me that Souta doesn't have much of a chance unless we get proof…my baby might end up in jail…they might…"

Kagome hugged her mother fiercely and hushed her soothingly. She sighed and called out, "Mama, please, don't cry. We're going to get our proof…we'll get Souta home. I'll put my life on it. He'll be home by the end of the week."

Kagome's mother sniffled again and pulled back to look down at Kagome. "Oh Kagome, I'm sorry…I shouldn't put this on your shoulders. Honey, I've been thinking and both Sergeant Ryen and me think it would be good for you to go out of town for a while…to get away from this monster…."

Kagome shook her head and pulled back from her mother. "I can't…I'm sorry mama, but I need to help Souta. I can, I know I can. I'm not going to let Naraku get away with this…"

Sesshoumaru crossed his arms and scowled. He cleared his throat and then pushed past Sergeant Onuni. "Ms. Higurashi, I swear to you on my life that we will bring your son home safely. We'll find something…if Souta did not do this, we will find who did."

Sergeant Onuni began to chuckle while shaking his head slowly.

Sesshoumaru turned quickly to glare at the guard, his eyes burning with anger. "What do you find so amusing?"

Sergeant Onuni gave the boy a smirk and sighed deeply. "You, son. Your integrity reminds me of someone I once knew. You're so sure that you can do this that you're staking your life on it…when you aren't even fathoming the demon that you are opposing yourself against."

Sesshoumaru took a step towards the other man placing himself in his face. "I know the demon I am taking on. He has destroyed to many lives to be allowed to walk away without punishment. He will submit to defeat or he will die."

Sergeant Onuni shook his head slowly. "Do you really want to threaten the life of another in front of a cop, son?"

Sesshoumaru narrowed his eyes and took a step closer to make sure to get his point across. "I fear no one; not you, not Naraku." He turned and looked at Kagome. "Kagome." He turned on his heels and paused in the door. Calling over his shoulder, he regarded the man, "do not call me son…I don't know you."

Kagome grimaced as she kissed her mother's cheek then gave Ryen a waning smile. She darted out of the house and got into the car next to Sesshoumaru, who had taken the liberty to decide to drive. Sesshoumaru backed the car out of the driveway and began to drive in silence. After a moment, Kagome cleared her throat. "You don't trust Sergeant Ryen, do you?"

Sesshoumaru scowled and sped the car up a little more. "Not on my life."

Kagome took a deep breath and sighed it out. "Do you think he's working for Naraku?"

Sesshoumaru glanced at Kagome from the corner of his eyes, "no."

Kagome seemed taken back as she sat back in her seat. After a moment, she turned back to Sesshoumaru. "Then why don't you trust him?"

Sesshoumaru let out what sounded like a growl and let his lips fall into a frown. "I just don't. He is hiding…I want to know why."

Kagome frowned and shifted in her seat. "Well, he said he didn't want Naraku to pick up on his scent…. Do you really think he was just there to protect my mother? I don't like that…"

Sesshoumaru sighed loudly and gripped the steering wheel a little tighter. "Do you always ask this many questions?"

Kagome shrugged and sat back in her seat and rolled her eyes. "Sorry…" Kagome sat for a long moment, thinking over the day. Things had gone from bad to horrendous in twelve hours…they had to be the longest twelve hours of her life. First the rumors…. Her eyes widened as she turned once again towards Sesshoumaru. "Sesshoumaru…did Rin tell you about the rumors?"

Sesshoumaru gave a very drastic sigh and glared hard at Kagome. "Human, if this is an attempt to gossip, I will pull this car over and leave you on the side of the road. Do you understand me?"

Kagome dropped her jaw in shock then shook her head. "No, fluffy, I'm not trying to gossip."

Sesshoumaru slammed on the breaks; pulling the car to the side of the road at the six-letter name and pointed a finger at her once the car came to a screeching halt. The complete anger and annoyance in his eyes spoke louder then his words. "Woman…you're testing dangerous waters…"

Kagome pulled herself against the door at the sudden burst of emotion from the demon and muttered a quick, "…sorry…"

Sesshoumaru let out a growl of frustration before slamming on the gas and leaving a trail of dust behind them.

Kagome remained quiet for a moment before quietly adding, "It's kind of about Rin…"

Sesshoumaru inhaled deeply and gave Kagome a glare of promised death. "Spit it out then."

Kagome chewed on her lip, suddenly not sure if she wanted to tell Sesshoumaru about what the kids were saying. If he had such a short temper with her about talking, what would he do about that? The thought left her fearing for her life. "Well…it's just that…I…err…maybe Rin should tell you…. i mean…it is about her and uhh…well…"

Sesshoumaru gripped the wheel harder, trying to ignore the burning impulse to grab Kagome by her neck and rattle the information out of her just to get her to shut up. "Speak Kagome!"

Kagome sighed and moved back from the demon as far as she could. "Well….uhh….rumor got around that…well…." Another icy glare from Sesshoumaru and she cracked, "everyonesaysthatRinhadsexwithNarakuinthebathroomoftheschool!"

Fulfilling her fear, Sesshoumaru slammed on the break, this time stopping in the middle of the highway. He turned to her, his eyes wider then she had ever seen them and bellowed, "WHAT???"

Kagome covered her ears and grimaced at the demon. "Hey, don't kill the messenger. But yes, that was what we went to school today to. When it came out, and mind you it didn't come out in the gentlest of manners, she freaked out and cried. We got her over it but…well…needless to say, it hurt her."

Sesshoumaru growled ferociously and pulled the car off to the side of the road. He threw the door open and slowly began to walk in circles in the middle of the deserted road. He let out a string of curses that Kagome was pretty sure she would never have heard from his mouth.

Kagome watched the demon pace from the drivers window then sighed and got out of the car. She sat on the hood and watched him silently for a moment, trying to give him his time to cool down. "Sesshoumaru…she's a strong girl. I know she's been through shit but she dealt with the brunt of the storm for two years…six months of torment she dealt with by herself without any outside help at all. Six months of restless, fearful nights…she dealt with it. Those nights are over for her…she won't have to fear that again. I think a little teasing from kids won't make her crumble…."

Sesshoumaru growled out an incoherent answer. After a moment he turned to stare at Kagome. He knew his eyes were blood red; he could feel the new burst of demonic energy flowing through his blood. He could feel his inner Youkai trying to spur on the deadly transformation…trying to take out his anger and his frustration. He fought it will all of his strength. `If I transform, no one is safe, starting with Kagome and ending with Rin.' he clenched his jaw and dug his nails into his palms trying to control his rage. `How dare they? How can they talk about issued they know nothing of?' he let out a staggered breath and flexed his claws. His eyes traveled back to Kagome as her words funneled through his ears. "what?" he stopped pacing and took two steps towards the girl then paused and rubbed his temples. "Kagome…when we go back to the hotel…and you see Miroku…ask him how much he would like you to stick a poker through his bullet wound in his arm. What, may I ask, do you think his reaction would be?"

Kagome stared dumbfounded at Sesshoumaru for a moment and slowly answered, "I think he would tell me to get the hell away from him."

Sesshoumaru nodded once, his eyes trying to grasp her illogical reasoning with her past statement. How a girl as intelligent as Kagome could believe the influence of other people would not hurt Rin…. Sesshoumaru took a deep breath and held one hand out towards Kagome. "And why would he tell you to get away from him?"

Kagome fused her eye brows together in confusion as she responded, "Because it would reopen the wound and hurt him…." she stopped mid sentence and frowned then sighed. She nodded and held up her hands in front of her. "Point taken."

Sesshoumaru growled lightly and began to pace again. "Those baka's…who are they to question her…to assume...to gossip. They don't know anything." He turned on his heels and glared at Kagome. "Tell me that you set them straight."

Kagome nodded swiftly, "straighter then a man in Home Depo."

Sesshoumaru scowled at her analogy and slowly shook his head. With a final primal growl he stormed back to the car.

Kagome slid off the hood and walked around the car. "Are you okay? I mean, no more slamming on my breaks, right? If you don't think you can manage…"

Sesshoumaru sat in the drivers seat and closed the door. "Get in unless you wish to sleep on the roadside."

Kagome rolled her eyes as she slid into the car next to him. "You're grumpy at night, do you know what?"

Sesshoumaru looked up from the steering wheel and straightened his back before turning to glare at Kagome. If looks could kill….

Kagome winched and crossed her arms. "Whatever…let's just get home."

Sesshoumaru growled and pulled off the shoulder and the two drove back to the motel in an awkward silence.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~~~~~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*