InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The curse of the dragon ❯ Tainted cops ( Chapter 34 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

~<>~ Curse of the Dragon ~<>~

 

~<>~Chapter 34 ~<>~ tainted cops

 

Kagome jammed her key into the ignition and started the car with a deep-rooted fury. "Why didn't he tell me…why didn't that little bastard tell me?" she slammed her hand into steering wheel and screamed in frustration. "That arrogant little shit! I could have helped him, I could have hid him! We could have been more prepared! Damnit…damnit to hell Souta…" tears immediately welled in her brown eyes as Kagome let her head fall into the steering wheel, blowing the horn once. She turned to gaze at the silver haired boy next to her in desperation. "The cops were like the right hand of Diegosan…he owned them…what if…what if they honestly think Souta killed Diegosan? What if they try to hurt him? InuYasha…they could kill him…."

A hand reached out from the back of her car and gently rubbed her shoulders. Rin's voice called out, "first we need to know if they got the others. We need to go to their place…the hideout, you called it…we need to find Karron and get the whole story from her."

InuYasha leaned over from the passenger seat and took Kagome's chin in his hand. Gently he lifted her head up and turned her to stare at him. He offered her a small smile; he wasn't going to lie to her, this was bad. This was really bad. They had to get to the bottom of it though. He leaned over and placed a chaste kiss on her lips and ran a hand through her hair tenderly. "We'll figure it out, babe…don't worry. Why don't we switch spots…I think I would be better suited to drive."

Kagome seemed hesitant then nodded. As they got out of the car, Kagome saw something that froze her in her spot. Standing a few feet away and up the grassy hill, under the awning of the band room, was Naraku. And he was smiling like the devil reincarnate. Kagome reached out as InuYasha reached her side of the car and put a hand on his shoulder. he turned instantly and his eyes clashed with the red pupils of the other boy. Anger sparked and exploded in a variety of curses that Kagome rarely heard strung together. InuYasha slammed the car door blocking Rin in and began to storm towards the boy. "Go with God, Naraku, cause I'm going to rip your fuckin' balls off and shove them…."

Kagome reached out and grabbed Inuyasha's shoulder. Her eyes were wide yet determined. "No. Stay here." InuYasha glared at her baffled as Kagome began to walk towards the boy.

`What the fuck?' In a second, InuYasha was by her side. "The hell I am going to let you go to that fucker by yourself…he could have a gun…"

Kagome turned and glared at InuYasha. "But he doesn't…you know that as well as I do…he does however hold the life of my baby brother in his grasp. I need to talk to him without you threatening him, InuYasha…I'm sorry…

InuYasha grabbed her shoulder tightly. No matter how much he hated it, she was right…not that he would ever admit it. With a very trademark frown, he leaned a little closer to her. "If he even breathes wrong, I'll tear his throat out. All you need to do is call me…" he cast a knowing glance at Naraku, a glance filled with anger and hatred…of fury and disgust. It was a look that could have turned a lesser man to stone. InuYasha backed up a step and shoved his hands into his opposing sleeves of his leather coat. "I don't like this at all…"

Kagome nodded as she turned and approached Naraku, who seemed impassive to the scene being acted out in front of him. She crossed her arms over her body, suddenly getting a very bone-rattling chill. She swallowed her fear, as she stuck her chin out in determination, and found herself standing five feet from the man who had been hunting her; the man who last night could have killed her…tried to kill her. "Why?"

Naraku glared at the girl in curiosity. `After everything…after all of these past few weeks…she's still willing to talk to me as if I'm her equal…as if the fact that I hold her life in my hands does not matter.' He took a step closer and grinned…he heard the growl resonating from her car…he knew InuYasha was watching. A smile danced over his lips…a very sadistic and evil smile at that. `What would InuYasha do if I were to kill her right here…right in front of him and he could not stop me.' he let his gaze wander back to Kagome and he let out a very small sigh. `No…to rob the world of this angel before I can claim her…no, I have my plans.' He gave her an amused smile and let his eyes bore holes in hers. "Why what, my dear?"

Kagome grimaced at the name and sneered back, "don't fucking call me that, you arrogant bastard!"

Naraku grinned and lifted a hand towards her face. It was as if her pale skin was calling to him…begging for his touch. He had felt that way from the first time he had lain eyes on her; she had been so elegant, so beautiful…so innocent. `Now…' Naraku could feel his eyes drift towards the half-breed who was a few feet away and he felt his breaths deepen… `That son of a bitch swooped in and claimed what has been mine for so long…claimed her before I got the chance. No matter…she will remember what I do to her…just when the time is right.' He heard Inuyasha's escalated growl and pulled back away from Kagome, dropping his hand to his side. `No need to rush to the end of this conversation so quickly. "Quite the slanderous vocabulary you have picked up, Kagome. It doesn't suit you well…"

Kagome flipped him off with the raise of an eyebrow. Her eyes then darkened, remembering why she was talking to the man bent on ruining lives. "Why blame my brother for the death of your father?"

Naraku gave her a well-mocked look of shock and surprise. "That mongrel is your brother? How unfortunate." He hid his internal smile well…this was playing out perfectly.

Kagome sneered, feeling her lips pull back in a growl like demeanor. "Don't play with me, Naraku. You know Souta…you know he's my damned brother. You also know he didn't kill your old man!"

Naraku blinked once then clasp his hands in front of his body and began to pace. He ignored the burning pain coming from the wound in his right hand from the previous night…the wound that just thinking about boiled his blood. He ignored his anger for a moment and managed to pull a still rather innocent tone. "But Kagome, I know that Souta Higurashi killed my father…I have witnesses. It took a few days for them to come around from their injuries and all but his face was engrained in their memory…they know it was him with the gun…the gun that killed my father."

Kagome closed her eyes and sighed. Opening them slowly she shook her head, "you own the police…it's not like they would question you. What are you looking for? What do you want his conviction to be? What fate are you giving to my brother?"

Naraku shrugged and let the words seep from his mouth like venom, "why, the same fait he bestowed upon my father…death." He heard Kagome gasp and forced himself to frown. "Kagome, if he had simply shot my father once, it would be a different story…but he didn't. He shot my father five times…he and his gang of hoodlums killed the four other guards who were with them…then Souta handcuffed my father to a pipe in the bay and shot him again. They burned the building…with him still alive. My father died a horrible death. I can only wish the same…"

Kagome tried to hold back her tears. She hated Naraku…she hated his father …but to think Souta, her little brother, could do such a thing…. "No, you have to be wrong. That' s not like Souta…he would never, ever do something like that!"

Naraku clicked his teeth and shook his head slowly. "I wish you were right, Kagome…about your brother…about him not being able to do that. But I know what I saw…I know how my father died. I know what I heard from the other guards who lived through the tragedy. Your brother is sick, Kagome…I feel he needs serious help...it's to bad that this was discovered now, after it is to late."

Kagome gasped and chewed on her bottom lip. "No…you can't expect any judge to send a fifteen year old boy to death row!"

Naraku shrugged and turned away from Kagome, his eyes grinning like the devil he was. "I'm sorry Kagome…but I need closure and only that will come from knowing that the monster who slaughtered my father is dead."

Kagome reached out and gently laid a hand on Naraku's shoulder. She didn't want to touch him…she wanted to cut off her hand for doing it…but she had to. "Naraku, please…he's my little brother…"

Naraku looked up to the sky and lowered his voice to an almost pitiful whisper. "And he was my father…"

Kagome sighed sadly and recoiled. "Naraku…" suddenly a boiling rage pulled at her heart…this man was trying to get sympathy; he was trying to make her feel like shit for actions that his deceased father had coming. Naraku was playing her like a fiddle. Her face darkened as she slowly spat out, "fuck you Naraku! You're trying to pull some hurt little boy routine here…and for one second you had me going. Go fuck yourself; I know what you did to Rin, I know what your father did to Inuyasha's family…to my family. Your father deserved his fait and I'm glad it was my brother to dish it out to him!"

Naraku turned to glare at Kagome, his eyes swirling with such evil that Kagome felt the need to take a step back as if were a contagious disease. "Hold your tongue, wench! You want to speak of such matters? Let's see what there is to be said. Rin? Rin was nothing…Rin was a toy! She was a puppet to get me what I really wanted…her innocence was only an added bonus."

Kagome gasped and in a second, she felt hands on her shoulders. InuYasha ripped her away from Naraku and took her place, growling like a rabid dog. His eyes were darker then she could ever remember them…they looked almost red. From behind the seething form of InuYasha, she peaked out her head.

Naraku grimaced at the sight of the hanyou before him. Narrowing his eyes, he continued to spit forth his malicious words, "Inuyasha's family? His father was their own destruction…my father offered him the world…he offered him a partnership. But he merely spat in my father's face…he tried to rally the business world against him. He tried to rob my father of his company…of his pride. He got what he deserved."

Kagome grabbed both of Inuyasha's hands with her own. Holding his hands tight, she knew he wanted to strike the bastard…hell she wanted to strike Naraku but she was praying he would slip…say something he didn't mean, something that would give him away. She heard InuYasha throw a growl in her direction but her grasp only tightened. "Naraku…. you're a bastard, you know that? Just because Inuyasha's father didn't want to pass over his company, he asked for death? What the hell is the matter with you? What screw do you have loose in your head? As for Rin…" she shook her head slowly and turned around, pulling InuYasha with her, "that's sad and pathetic and fucking with her is going to be your undoing. Sesshoumaru will gouge out your heart, and it will probably still be beating when he does it…."

Naraku growled as the girl walked down towards her car. `Wait for the most opportune moment…' he watched InuYasha look over his shoulder, the red in his eyes replaced by such a loathing hate that it was radiating off his body like heat. InuYasha walked around the car and opened the door to the Jaguar. "Kagome."

Kagome paused as the sound of his voice turned her stomach. She looked over her shoulder, disgust etched in her soft features, giving her a rather hard appearance. Her voice was dry, dull…lifeless. "Naraku?"

The sides of his mouth twisted up as he held out a finger to her, beckoning her to come closer to him. `This is to easy…to easy.'

Kagome threw InuYasha a glare, which of who had gotten out of the car again when he heard that bastard dare to call Kagome by name. Kagome took two steps closer to the demon and paused. "What the hell do you want?"

Naraku put his hands behind his back and slowly strolled down the hill of the school towards Kagome, his eyes sparkling in his insidious plot. Within grasp of her, he let the smile enrapture his face. He could feel InuYasha rapidly approaching. Naraku leaned over and brought his mouth to her ear. He inhaled sharply, reveling in her scents before opening his mouth. "I'm always willing to barter. You're brother's life, I mean. I'll barter it for what I really want." He pulled back and gave her a run over with his eyes, lingering on her chest; he finally pulled his eyes up to look into hers and let the smile slip from his face. He gave her his best matter of fact voice, "Not that it matters…know this Kagome, I always get what I want…I'm just offering you an easier way for everyone to be happy." He gave her a rather threatening glare, "think of your mother, Kagome…to lose both of her children…"

Kagome pulled, fear and anxiety burning deep in her glare. Licking her lips to try to restore some type moisture to her mouth, which had run dry at his blatant threat on her life. She didn't even know she was holding her breath until she found herself getting lightheaded. "What…what do you really want?" she felt InuYasha drape his arms over her body and gently begin pulling her away from the bastard in front of her. She pulled herself from his grasp and took a step closer to the demon. "What do you want?"

Naraku gave her a devilish smile that held all of her answers in it. He simply gave her a nod then turned on his heels, walking away from the two.

InuYasha glared down at the girl in front of him and the figure disappearing over the hill. With a primal growl, he pushed past Kagome and ran after the man. The hell he was just going to walk away…not after that. Not after he threatened Kagome. Picking up a rock on his way, he hurled it at the retreating figure. "Who the fuck do you think you are?" InuYasha reached for the boy's shoulder only to be dragged an inch back two girls, clinging to either arm.

Rin had purposely blocked out anything that Naraku had said…she didn't hear much until he had called Kagome back to talk to him again. At that point, after the two had made their way back up the band hill, she got out of the car. She heard Naraku's threat…she had heard it a hundred times over, that he got whatever he wanted. The words sent chills up her spine and memories flashing in her eyes. Memories she didn't want to repeat. With a deep breath and began walking up the hill. She noticed his hand was bandaged…but his wound was probably healed by now. He always healed fast. She had lashed out once at him…she had grabbed a knife in her kitchen when he tried to shove her up to her room a few days after he had first raped her and had stabbed him in the gut with it. He pulled the knife from him like it was a splinter…sure he left her alone that night but the day after…and the retribution...she `had the flu' for a week…staying home nursing the cuts, abrasions and bruises that covered her body. Now he was threatening Kagome much in the same manor, and what was worse was that InuYasha knew it. She jogged the rest of the way up the hill and made it just in time as InuYasha lost it and had lunged at Naraku. Rin and Kagome both jumped forward and gabbed an arm, trying to restrain him. All he needed to do was attack Naraku in public…Naraku would have him in jail before the hanyou knew what hit him. Then Kagome would be unprotected.

Naraku smiled as he watched the two girls try to drag away the fuming hanyou. He gave InuYasha a gaze that could have incinerated ice. His gaze fell to Rin as she struggled with the hanyou. He instantly glared down at his wounded hand and couldn't help but to growl. She was the first to ever wound him in such a manor. No one had ever hurt him and walked away to tell about it. `Sesshoumaru…', Naraku scowled, `that demon nearly accomplished the same feat. I still managed to knock him out of the window…he sure as hell didn't walk away from that battle though. Rin…she managed to watch me walk away…she managed to get to me. She'll pay…both her and that bastard will pay.'

InuYasha growled at the two who were using all their strength down the hill. He could smell their fear and more so Kagome's tears. Blinking away his rage, he turned to look at Kagome, who was staring at him intently, tears streaming down her cheeks. She was scared…she was scared for what InuYasha was going to do, for what the repercussions would be and probably scared as hell for that Naraku threatened to do. Anger overtook him again as he snapped his head back around to where Naraku had once been standing. Now the bastard was gone…just gone. With a sigh, he turned around and pulled his arms free of the two girls. His silver hair whipping behind him in the wind as he stalked down the hill towards the car. Throwing himself into the drivers seat, he glared out the window at the two girls. "Get in…now."

Kagome and Rin exchanged glances then got into the car, both obviously shaken. Kagome sat up front next to the pissed off hanyou. As soon as she closed the door, InuYasha floored the gas pedal and spun the tires before shooting out of the parking lot like a bullet. He wanted answers and he wanted them now.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Kagome rested her head against the rest as they pulled into the police station. She needed to see Souta…she needed to know that they hadn't hurt him. She had called her mom on the way and told her mom what happened. There was no way bail would be allowed…not with Diegosan as the victim. Kagome fumed as she got out of the car. Rin joined her as she turned to look at InuYasha through the passenger side window. Kagome took a deep breath and gave InuYasha her best pleading face. "Please, Yash…please stay here while we talk to the cops. I'm sure there has to be an warrant out on your head, I'd rather keep you out of sight."

InuYasha glowered at the girl and reached for the car door handle. "Fuck that shit, Kagome, I'm going with you. I don't know what those fuckin crooked cops are planning!"

Kagome stomped on the ground and narrowed her eyes. "InuYasha Tashio you are staying in that car!"

InuYasha would have laughed if the situation hadn't been so grave. The way Kagome's face darkened, how the red that tainted her cheeks contrasted her pale skin, how her hair whipped about her head with the afternoon wind…suddenly he didn't want to laugh half as much as he wanted to pull her back into the car and…. `God she's gorgeous.' That's when he realized he was staring at the girl slack-jawed. Trying to recover, he found it futile. Kagome was giving him a slight grin as if reading his mind. `Hell, if she was reading my mind, that shade of pink wouldn't begin to cover these thoughts…' he cleared his throat, and gave her a smirk. "Princess, you can't manipulate me into staying here."

Kagome blinked once and sighed. She licked her lips slowly and walked around the car, Rin following behind her with a frown etched on her face. Kagome leaned through the driver's window and kissed his cheek. "Please stay here, InuYasha. I'll owe you one."

InuYasha frowned and tapped Kagome on the lips with his index finger. "You owe me one already, remember? We were rudely interrupted when you…"

Kagome leaned in and crushed her lips against Inuyasha's, sufficiently silencing his protest. Pulling away she flashed him a quick smile before grabbing Rin's hand. "Let's go find my brother."

Rin held in her annoyance until they were inside of the building. "Kagome! Sesshoumaru so wasn't joking…I really thought he has but he wasn't! InuYasha can't keep it in his fuckin pants and you can't stay out of them! Your brother is in peril danger and all you can think of is…." Rin's sentence swayed as she found herself staring at three rather `hot' men in uniform, standing by the door of the office. "Oh…" she shook her head and snapped herself out of her daze. `Get a hold on it girl, you got Sesshoumaru back at home waiting…' that thought did not help her current disposition.

Kagome let out a low laugh at her friend as they worked their way to the main office desk. "Man, you're just as bad so I don't want to hear anything!" she put a finger on her friend's jaw and pushed her mouth closed. "Keep your tongue in your mouth Rin, it's not lady to pant." Rin simply hit Kagome's shoulder as they got to the reporting officer. Kagome sighed and stared at the man behind the desk. "Excuse me…"

The cop looked up and gave the girl a smile. Kagome heard Rin gasp and she swallowed hard. The officer was beautiful…he had stunning green eyes and ear length black hair that was slicked back. He had such strong features it was a wonder that he wasn't swarmed by girls at the current moment. He gazed over both girls, his gaze settling on Rin's face for a moment before he smirked and looked back at Kagome. His voice was deep, demanding…and yet somewhat cold. "How can I help you two ladies?"

Kagome gave the man a small smile before looking around suspiciously. She swallowed hard and began, "I'm looking for who I need to speak to about Souta Higurashi. He was taken in here about an hour ago…. police arrested him at my school…"

The cop seemed slightly perturbed at the name and tapped the desk with the pen in his hand. "Yes, Souta Higurashi…he killed Diegosan Onmigumo. What can I help you with him about."

Kagome let out a small sigh and shook her head slowly. "My brother…he's my brother."

The cop's frown deepened as he glared at the girl. "I'm sorry…but we got forensics back on the gun and his finger prints were all over it. There is no doubt that he killed the man."

Kagome shifted her weight nervously and blinked a few times. "Well, I don't think he did but that's not for us to decide nor debate, now is it?"

The cop sat back in his chair and raised an eyebrow. "No, it will be for the courts. Now what do you want? I'm going to hope that you do have a point…"

Kagome gaped at the cop in complete shock. `Why that rude arrogant little…'

"Just shut the fuck up Unmi and tell us what the fuckin bail is."

Kagome turned and glared over her shoulder at her outspoken friend. Rin's eyes were dark and held a lot of resentment towards the man in front of her. She looked back at the guy before turning back and glaring at Rin. `What did I just miss?'

The cop, Unmi, scowled at Rin then gave her the look over. "Such a mouth on you. Rin, I thought Naraku would have taught you better…"

Kagome gasped as the man addressed Rin like an old friend…or acquaintance...or, well…. She looked from Rin to the cop, Unmi, and scowled. There was electricity in the air waiting to strike someone dead.

Rin's face changed from resentment to utter disgust. She felt her face contort to a shade of bitterness. "He tried and failed…miserably."

Unmi laughed mockingly and smirked, "well…I'm sure he isn't done trying." He raised both eyebrows at the girl then looked over Kagome.

Rin pounded her fist down onto the guard's desk. Her voice escalated and grabbed many different people's attention. "Don't fuckin even look at her Unmi…Naraku would have your head! So put your fuckin eyes back into the fuckin thick god damned skull of yours and fuckin tell us what we need to know, asshole! Got it?"

Unmi seemed shocked to say the least. Slowly he stood from his desk and Kagome gulped. The man was nearly as tall as Sesshoumaru and his muscle mass was double the demon lords. Eyeing him over, Kagome managed a small smile. `Sesshoumaru could so take this guy out.' Unmi turned and gave Kagome another glare then rolled his eyes and looked back at Rin. "What do you want, bitch?"

"Unmi, hasn't anyone ever told you not to talk to a lady with such a tone?"

All three turned to see Naraku leaning against the wall, five feet away from the desk. Tension crackled between the four like electricity across water. Rin clenched her hands into fists and bit her tongue to keep from lashing out at the bastard that stood within feet of her. Kagome did much of the same. Unmi scratched the back of his head, muttering some halfhearted apology. "Didn't see you there, Naraku."

Naraku raised an eyebrow as he pushed off the wall and began to circle the two girls slowly, keeping the circle wide and out of striking range of Rin…he knew she would if she saw the opportunity to. "My dears…what brings you to Tokyo's finest police department?"
Kagome snapped back before Rin got the chance to, "You're not a cop, Naraku, so I'm not even justifying myself to you. This poor excuse for an officer won't help either so I'm going to find someone else. Rin." she turned on her heels, latching an arm around Rin's.

Naraku stepped into her path and put both of his hands up. "You must pardon Unmi, he's a bit rough around the edges."

Rin rolled her eyes and tried to pull Kagome around the side of the man in front of her. "Rough around the edges my ass…"

Naraku held out an arm to make sure Rin did not pass. She stopped inches from him and he gave her a small wicked smile. He could sense it, he could smell it; her being afraid of him; it was something he missed. "Now really, ladies, I'm sure we can talk about these matters as adults."

Kagome pulled Rin away from him, who had seemed to freeze in her spot, and wrapped a supportive arm around her friend. `There is no way in hell this bastard is going to touch her. Not over my dead body…' she cleared her throat and let her eyes fix themselves into Naraku's dark red gaze. "I don't think you are capable of intellectual thinking, Naraku, so conversing as adults is a bit out of the question, ne?"

Unmi laughed from behind the two and Kagome whirled on her heels to stare at him as if he was stupid. The man only smiled and proved her point, "my, what a little spit fire you are! Give you a real sex appeal, you know that baby?" he walked out from behind the desk and Kagome suddenly got the feeling that they were in way over their heads. She gave Rin a quick glance of desperation and Rin returned it with awing speed. The two girls pulled themselves closer together, suddenly feeling like prey being circled by sharks…and the sharks were hungry.

"What do you two think you are doing? Unmi…get back to work. I don't pay you to gawk at girls. You'll never be a cop that this rate. Mr. Onmigumo…I would really appreciate you not hanging out around my precinct."

Naraku's back stiffened at the gruff yet demanding voice from behind them and he turned very slowly. Unmi jumped like a scared cat and got back behind his desk. Rin and Kagome turned almost as fast at Unmi had moved. Behind the four was another cop. Kagome felt her eyes skimming over his attire, not sure but knowing there was something familiar about this man? He had a long leather trench coat on with army steel toed boots, he had on the united States Army fatigue camo green and black pants on, and on what was shown of his hip; he was holstering a desert eagle with a set of handcuffs and a badge. His coat was zipped at the upper region, shielding his chest, and had a rather outdated Indiana Jones hat on covering his face with a pair of black-mirrored sunglasses hiding his eyes. He seemed not to have shaved in a week and had rather defined gray fuzz growing on his face…not long enough to call a beard, yet more then just some peach fuzz. The man had to be in his early forties. He had to be a couple inches taller then Sesshoumaru was…maybe standing around six foot five.

Kagome swallowed hard, never happier to see some freakish army-gone-wrong sergeant before in her life. She pushed away from Naraku and pulled Rin with her, who still hadn't taken her eyes off Naraku. "Sir, maybe you can help me. This pathetic excuse for a…" she checked her temper before inhaling sharply. "I'm sorry…he is of no help to me. I was hoping to talk to Souta Higurashi, I'm his older sister."

The stranger behind then nodded once then moved to the side and pointed to a back office. "Let's talk about that boy, miss. Higurashi…." He ducked his covered head and let out a rather deep chuckle.

Kagome, still holding Rin's hand, pulled her way from Naraku and followed behind the older man. She could hear Naraku grumbling to that sleaze bag of a cop. `Mental note, get him fired.' She rounded the corner and entered the office of their mystery savior. "I missed your name…"

The man chuckled again, giving Kagome and Rin both a sense of ease, and shook his head slowly. He pointed to two small chairs for the girls to sit in, which they complied easily enough to, and closed the door. He turned slowly and began to pace. After a moment, he walked to the large window behind his large cherry oak desk and glanced out into the parking lot. A look of sadness seemed to cross the man's face but was gone in a second. "Are you aware of just why you brother is being held, Miss. Higurashi?"

Kagome nodded slowly, a slight blush crawling its way to her cheeks. "Please, call me Kagome. This is Rin…she's a friend of the family."

The man turned and paused, staring at the two girls. After a moment of awkward silence, he smiled and nodded to the girl. "Pleased to meet you…I wish it was under better circumstances though. Kagome, your brother is being charged with the murder of a very prominent businessman. I spent the last hour talking to the boy…he's a very well rounded child. He's scared shitless right now, and frankly that worries me."

Kagome fidgeted with her fingers, her eyes glazing over. "I don't know if he did it…I….we….I think our family has a history with the deceased that is less then spotless…"

The man did something Kagome least expected in a Diegosan-fan club run building…he laughed. It was rather shallow and callous, she added. "A lot of people have a less then perfect accord with Diegosan and his waste of life son."

Rin laughed loudly at that one, and then put one hand to her mouth, excusing herself for the outburst.

The man waved his hand then gave then a small smile. "I'm sorry…I just realized that I never introduced myself. My name is Sergeant Onuni Ryen. I'm new to the district, honestly. I just transferred in from Kyushu a few months ago."

Rin blinked as did Kagome and then both gave the man a short bow of the head. Rin looked back at the man and frowned, "What worries you about Souta?"

Ryen sighed heavily and dropped into his leather chair, pulling himself up to his desk. "Your brother has anger management issues, Kagome…he is short tempered, witty, and honestly has a pretty bad mouth when pushed to talk. I'm worried because he admitted to me about shooting Diegosan…" he held up a hand as both girl's gasped at his words, "but he claims he only shot at him once because he was threatening a close family friend…maybe you could tell me more about this friend, Kagome." He raised an eyebrow and suddenly Kagome broke into a sweat. It was as if he turned the lamps on her.

`He got involved because he saw InuYasha in trouble…he nearly got himself killed because he wanted to help my…InuYasha…' she sighed and dropped her face into her hands. Before she could get a cry out, Rin beat her to it.

With a sob, the girl next to her broke down, "this is all my fault! I might as well have pulled the fuckin trigger!" she looked up at the shocked cop and balled her hands into fists, "sir, please don't blame Souta…this is all my fault! Naraku...he…InuYasha…" she paused as she saw the man winch. It was very subtle but she saw it. `What is his game…how does he know the boys?' she swallowed hard, starting to wonder if they were being set up. Suddenly, she began to want out of the room and quick. "Look…Souta went after Diegosan because he was trying to save InuYasha, who was being held prisoner by Diegosan because Sesshoumaru, Inuyasha's older brother, fought Naraku. Diegosan was going to kill InuYasha…he had a gun to his head. But Souta saved him…Souta saved Inuyasha's life." She closed her mouth as a tear ran down her face.

The tear did not go unnoticed by the older man, who was slowly stroking his chin while looking at the girls. "Why would their actions be your fault Rin?"

Rin blinked and looked to the floor, her face turning red slowly. "Because of Naraku…because Sesshoumaru fought him for me."

Ryen stood swiftly and leaned over his desk to glare at the two girls, his hands planted a shoulder's length apart on his desk. "You mean to tell me one of the richest business men of Tokyo was killed because two boys had to fight over a girl?"

Kagome piped up before Rin could stop her. "Naraku had been raping her, sir…Sesshoumaru was standing up for her."

Ryen paused and regarded each girl for a moment as silence swarmed the air. He took a few deep breaths before sitting back into his air, pushing his fingers together in front of his body. "Did you report these rapes?"

Rin shook her head quickly, throwing Kagome a rather disgruntled glare. "No…"

Ryen followed just as soon as the word left Rin's mouth with, "did you file for a restraining order?"

Rin hung her head, suddenly finding her shoes the most interesting thing on the face of the earth. "No…"

Ryen clicked his tongue and scratched his hat. "Did you tell anyone after he did this, immediately after…who could vouch for the current knowledge?"

Rin simply shook her head, not daring to look up. Tears now came out of her eyes like rain as she buried her head in her heads. "I fucked up, I know I did. I wanted to tell someone but Naraku and Diegosan would comment about my dad…they would imply that they would do more then fire him if I told anyone…"

Ryen took out a pen and scribbled down something on paper before turning to look at Rin. Kagome put a hand on Rin's shoulder and was trying to hush the young girl. "Kagome, I'm sorry about your friends misfortunes with the family. I can understand her hesitancy for coming forth with such accusations against such a prominent family like the Onmigumo. Unfortunately without the burden of proof, we cannot make any arrests in the matter. If she had…" he shook his head slowly, "as it has been said a thousand times, and causes just as many heartbreaks, what is done is done. Rin, we cannot change the past. If you allow yourself to dwell on that fact, it will consume you."

Rin lifted her head to stare at the man in awe. She nodded slowly and wiped a tear from her cheek. "I know…my…I've been told that before…in more words, of course."

Ryen nodded slowly and stood to look back out his window. "Speaking with Souta, I believe that he did attack Diegosan…I do not however believe that he tied the man to a pipe and shot him five times. I don't see that in his character. I can't see him doing that…and I'm pretty good on profiling."

Kagome nodded slowly, her eyes suddenly lightening in its carried burden. "I believe the same. I believe within the time that my brother shot Diegosan and the time that the club burnt, someone else showed up and finished the job."

Ryen nodded and began to pace. "Did Souta have an accomplices? Anyone else that wanted revenge that you know of…that I could speak to?"

Kagome opened her mouth then shut it. If she told him about Karron, she could be turning in her only key witness. She clenched her jaw and shook her head slowly. "No, none that I know of."

Ryen glared at the girl for a moment through the thick shades then nodded. He knew she was lying, he could see it in her face…in her eyes…he could smell it. He shrugged and sat back, rifling through his files in his desk. "I'm going to get some coffee…would either of you two ladies like some?" silently, he set a file on the desk in front of the girls and stood up. "Don't get into any trouble while I'm gone." He gave them a slight nod and walked out, catching the string to close the window shade on the way. He held up his hand with all five fingers extended and pointed to the clock on the wall. He nodded slowly and walked out.

Kagome and Rin glared at each other then at the file on the desk. Kagome picked it up first and flipped through the material. "Holy shit, Rin!"

Rin jumped at the sound of her friend's voice and scooted her chair closer to Kagome so she could read over her shoulder. Rin's eyes widened at the words. "You ain't kidding!"

Kagome read aloud the first statement she came to, "the Night Club Abyss was set on fire around 5:23 PM, cause unknown but assumed arson. Diegosan Onmigumo, Rju Osvi, and Keiv Malcon were discovered in the rubble, all three dead. Two other workers died in the hospital shortly after, all from sever shock from their wounds. The structure of the building was intact…a fire door leading to the docking bay was closed and locked from the opposing side. The club owner, Diegosan was handcuffed by police ordained handcuffs to a steel water pipe and had been shot five times afterward. Witnesses place a group of three kids at the scene shortly before. Before them, another mid teenage boy with silver (?) hair was placed at the scene. Naraku Onmigumo, heir of the company and his father's million-dollar company, was nowhere near the scene. He had been injured in school that day and was at his mansion uptown. He arrived on the scene an hour later." Kagome glared at Rin for a moment, her eyes taking in what she just read. "Didn't InuYasha say that…that Naraku had been at the club? He went looking for Naraku, not Diegosan. Why would he have gone into the club if he wasn't there?"

Rin's eyes lit up as she jolted from her seat. "Which means Naraku was there, which means he lied to the police!"

The door opened slowly as Ryen walked back in, a cup of coffee in his hands. It was only then that Rin noticed the claws on the ends of his fingers. `This guy's a demon…why is he helping us? Everyone here is a member of Diegosan's private party…Unmi included. Unmi especially… and to be a demon; going against Diegosan would be like committing suicide…' she frowned and laid a hand on the desk, sliding the contents of the folder back across the stranger cops desk. "We should be going…"

Kagome glared at her friend and noticed the worry in her eyes. She nodded once and turned to regard their helper. "Thank you…for hearing us out. If there is anything you can find…"

Ryen put a hand on Kagome's shoulder. He peered at her from beneath his glasses and Kagome found that she could not look away. His gaze was hypnotic…something so familiar lurked beneath the surface of this man but it was blocked by a sheet of ice. Kagome could hardly scratch the surface of that sheet. "Kagome…be careful. Naraku is a powerful man…a now very rich and very powerful man. I saw the way he looked at you…I see what he did to your friend in her eyes….i do not wish to see you return to this building with such a hate inside of you." he threw a small smile at Rin and Kagome heard her gasp, yet she still could not break the stare; it was almost comforting. "If you need anything, call my cell phone number…it is on this card. I can be there in the blink of an eye. Keep our meeting to yourselves…to know that a cop is talking with possible suspects…" he handed Kagome a white business card that she quickly shoved into her pocket.

Kagome and Rin both nodded and slowly walked from the office. Ryen cleared his throat and both girls glanced back at him. "Kagome, I am sure your mother will be coming in to see your brother. Tell her to repot to Officer Deputon, he is a trusted friend. He is it…trust no one else in this office. Take care of the ones who watch you…don't stray. And talk to the red head…she may be more help to you then she was to me."

Kagome and Rin glared at each other then bowed their heads to the man in front of them before leaving his office. Passing Unmi, both girls gave him a cold glare, which he so quickly returned. Once outside, Kagome let out a ragged breath of air she didn't know she had been holding. "We need to find Karron."

Rin nodded but seemed too lost in thought. She pointed to the car where a very angry InuYasha sat behind the driver's wheel of…staring at the two girls. He pointed to his wrist and tapped the window trying to tell them to hurry up. Rin began to walk towards the car but Kagome grabbed her arm.

"Rin, who was that guy? Unmi…how did you know him?"

Rin let out a deep sigh and closed her eyes. She stopped trying to walk away and turned slowly to face Kagome. Only then did she open her eyes. "He was…one of Naraku's friends. He always hung around the club…before he started at the police academy. We always argued…always. When Naraku would actually have me around his friends…we never got along. I believe he was sometimes Naraku's driving force on the things he did to me…almost as if Unmi told him to do it…. I know it sounds foolish but that boy hates me. I never did anything to him but talk back…and I think that's why. He always would antagonize me then bark for Naraku to `slap me into my place' when I snapped back. He made the mistake to hit me once and Naraku nearly killed him. I don't know why…doesn't make any sense to me…"

Kagome heard a car door somewhere behind her and she sighed. `Here we go.' she turned and looked at the boy approaching. "Geez, wait just a second longer InuYasha, we'll be right…" her eyes narrowed at the look on the boy's face…he seemed really, really angry.

From the opposite side of her, she heard a voice that she was really starting to get sick of hearing call out, "because you were…are…my property, Rin, and anyone that touches my property deserves death."

Kagome could hear Rin grind her teeth together as they both slowly turned to find Naraku leaning on the stucco coated building. Kagome let out a loud sigh and nearly screamed out, "What the hell do you mean your property? She was never your property! You cannot own a person, you hear me asshole? You can't! Plain and simple! Now why don't you go jump off a cliff and leave us alone!"

Naraku laughed as InuYasha wrapped his arms around the two girls, pulling them back a little, then pushed in front of them to glare at Naraku. Directing his comment around InuYasha, he called out, "you'd be surprised what you can do with money, Kagome. Money and power can get you whatever you want…" his eyes burned into Kagome's as he took a step back towards the building. "And don't forget, I already own one life…its up to you to change whose it is."

InuYasha reached out and grabbed Naraku's collar. Pulling Naraku inches from his face, he sneered, "I'm getting really fucking sick and tired of you and your fucking mouth. Leave. Kagome. Alone. While you're at it, leave Rin alone as well. You don't own her, you don't own Souta and you better well as hell know you don't own Kagome! Got it?" by time he reached the end of his sentence, he was screaming. Two cops made their way from the building, guns drawn and aimed at the two.

Naraku grinned and put his hands on Inuyasha's arms, and using his demonic powers, burnt Inuyasha's skin.

InuYasha let out a yelp and dropped Naraku to the ground instantly, grimacing and holding his arms against his chest. "Fuck you Naraku!"

Naraku looked at the cops and gave them a slow nod. They stood down but did not leave the scene. Naraku stood slowly, and brushed off his pants as if nothing had happened. "InuYasha, it would be wise of you to leave town…and I mean now. If I see you around me or my property again, I will have you arrested for assault, got it?" he took a step closer to the boy, "and if you're arrested by my men…you better believe you'll never see the light of day again…and that sweet piece of ass, that I'm sure you defile every night, will be in my bed."

InuYasha growled menacingly but knew he was powerless to stop the boys ranting. With his face beat red, his arms bleeding and his teeth splitting at the pressure his clenched jaw was exerting, he waved at the girls and turned his back to the demon.

Naraku didn't seem too pleased by being walked away on. Looking at his hands, he called out, "You know, your father did the same thing to mine. Turned his back…that was his last mistake."

InuYasha stopped in mid step and turned slowly to glare at Naraku. His eyes bled red as he cracked his knuckles. He bared his fangs not caring who saw, and growled. "Go to hell, Naraku…your father's waiting." He turned and stormed to the car, and threw the back driver side door open, nearly ripping it from its hinges. Kagome and Rin followed just as quickly, Kagome getting into the drivers seat and Rin next to her. Rin flipped Naraku off as they pulled out of the police station yet no one spoke on the way back to the hole in the wall they were staying at…no one dared to.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

-It's always darker before dawn…. Sorry….