InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Soul Within ❯ To Prepare ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Quote of the Day (courtesy of Whitenymph7): “Not all who wander are lost.”
 
Note to people on MM: The last chapter seemed to have some formatting issues with the italics. To read the story with the right formatting, this story is also available on FF. My username there is Angel449.
 
Europe was amazing by the way. Especially Venice. It's a gorgeous place.
 
**********
 
The Soul Within
Chapter Sixteen
 
“Two days?” Kagome echoed in disbelief.
 
Kaede nodded. “Aye. But child, I must warn ye that Naraku is not a fool. I think that he knows that ye ran away from him specifically. If ye are returned to the village, he will make sure that ye never leave.”
 
Kagome paled.
 
Kaede seemed to finally notice something about her apprentice. “Kagome! What on earth happened to your arm?”
 
“Never mind that,” Kagome said quickly and carelessly. “Tell me what's going on with Naraku.”
 
“Back up,” Inuyasha said suddenly. “Who is this Naraku person?”
 
Kaede looked at Kagome in surprise. “Ye have not told your friend about Naraku?”
 
Kagome looked away guiltily. “He's not my favourite conversation topic,” she whispered. “I'm sorry.”
 
To her surprise, Inuyasha didn't seem to care that she hadn't told him. “Keh! Just tell me now, woman.”
 
“It's a long story,” Kagome said sighing. “Can I give you the brief version?” When Inuyasha nodded, she continued, “Naraku is a hunter that lives in my village. When I was young, Takumi, his father, saved my father's life. In debt, my father promised that I would be married to Takumi's son when I turned eighteen.”
 
Realization dawned on Inuyasha. “You turned eighteen a couple of days ago.”
 
Kagome nodded. “Yes, I ran away,” she said simply. “He is a cruel man and chaining myself to him would be no different then being married to the devil himself.” She bit her lip worriedly. “But…now he has found me…what am I going to do?” she asked nobody in particular.
 
Her question had been rhetorical but Kaede surprised her with an answer. “The way I see it child, ye have two options. Ye can either stay here and hide, hoping that Naraku will not find ye…” Kaede didn't seem to think that this was a very good idea, “Or, ye can come with me to the village that I mentioned before.”
 
Kagome let out a little gasp. “Leave? But…Kaede…”
 
“I don't know any other options, child.”
 
“Then go,” Inuyasha spoke up.
 
Kagome turned to face him. “I already told you - ”
 
“I know what you told me!” Inuyasha yelled. Kagome was taken aback. “Do you want to go back to that bastard? If you don't then you have to leave!” Without another word, Inuyasha stormed off.
 
Kagome eyes teared up a bit, but she bravely held them back. “H-He's always like that, you know,” she said to Kaede. “Anytime that we spend longer than five minutes together, he tells me to leave.”
 
Kaede took on a look of sympathy. “Child, do not take it so hard. His harsh words do not match his worried eyes,” she said wisely.
 
Kagome looked at her mentor in surprise. “He's worried about me?”
 
Kaede nodded. “Very. With good reason too…” Kaede paused. “Naraku had told the villagers that ye were being trapped here against your will by a violent youkai. I knew that was a lie. Such a caring friend ye have.”
 
Kagome looked thoughtful. “Naraku wasn't completely wrong,” she said.
 
Kaede's eyebrows rose. “Explain Kagome.”
 
Kagome nodded and told the elder miko the entire story.
 
“So Inuyasha is doomed to be an uncontrollable youkai during the day and a human by night. He had fifty years, which are almost up, to break the curse. If he doesn't break the curse, he will die,” Kagome said with her voice breaking on the last sentence. She hoped that Kaede didn't notice.
 
Kaede nodded. “And what happened to your arm, child?” she asked, sounding as if she already knew the answer.
 
“An accident,” Kagome said simply and vaguely.
 
Kaede chose to leave it at that. “Sit,” she ordered, nodding toward a small wooden bench a few metres away.
 
Kagome gave her teacher a questioning look but did as she was told.
 
Kaede carefully took off Kagome's sling before kneeling in front of her. “Just relax,” she commanded as her hands lit up with pink power. Kagome closed her eyes and felt the same warm numbness that had been bestowed upon her by Miroku on her first night there.
 
After several minutes, Kaede pulled her hands away. “There.”
 
Kagome flexed her wrist and smiled. It was as good as new. “Thank you, Kaede.”
 
Kaede waved her gratitude away. “'Tis not a problem child. Now tell me about this purest act.”
 
The young miko shrugged. “There is honestly not much to tell. All I know is that it is the only thing that can break the spell. The only problem is that I don't have a clue what it is…” Kagome said hopelessly.
 
The elder miko didn't say anything for a long time.
 
“Kaede…” Kagome said thoughtfully. “Is there any way…that I can stay here?”
 
“Without risking your freedom?” Kaede continued. She paused. “I hate to say it child, but I don't think so.”
 
“You don't think I can defeat Naraku?”
 
Kaede's eyes widened. “Are ye sure that ye want to resort to that? Are ye sure that ye don't want to lea - ”
 
“No,” Kagome said firmly. Kaede noted that her eyes backed up her decision, so she decided not to waste time attempting to change the young miko's mind.
 
“…I suppose I can train ye…but…”
 
Kagome's eyes lit up. “Really?”
 
“It won't be enough time,” Kaede said simply.
 
“I'll take whatever I can get. I'm not running away and I'm not going to jeopardize my friends' safety by hiding here.” Kagome's mind was made up. “I started something the second I got on Amaya to leave home…and I'm going to finish it. Right here.”
 
**********
 
Naraku smiled.
 
It was not the kind of smile that made children grin, or the kind of smile that expressed happiness that words could not, or the kind of smile that made one feel warm and joyous.
 
It was a cold smile. It was one that spoke volumes of pure evil. One that announced that it's cruel owner was pleased that he was finally going to get what he wanted after so much trouble. Kagome.
 
Unfortunately, the villagers were deaf to it.
 
Naraku had just opened his mouth to address the men before him when a voice coolly said his name.
 
“Lord Naraku.”
 
Naraku was irritated to say the least. That was, until he saw the one who had spoke. One of his few followers that he could say he trusted with no hesitation.
 
“Kanna. What is it?”
 
The small woman, with pale hair and coal-black vacant eyes, subtly beckoned him toward her. The hunter followed the young woman a short distance away, completely uncaring of the men that were awaiting instructions.
 
“Lady Kaede is missing,” Kanna said in her simple, emotionless voice.
 
Four words and it was enough to nearly make Naraku fall over in shock. “What?” he demanded.
 
“Her possessions have vanished as well,” she continued.
 
Naraku covered his forehead with his palm and took a slow breath. He suddenly had a headache. His carefully laid plans had been disturbed.
 
The hunter narrowed his eyes at the woman before him. “Where has she gone?” he asked flatly.
 
No hesitation was found in Kanna's voice as she quietly replied. “She has gone to find Lady Kagome. I saw her leave.”
 
Naraku tightened his fingers into an angry fist. If Kaede found Kagome first…
 
With a snarl, he turned his back on Kanna and moved swiftly back to the village men. Cutting right to the chase, he announced, “There has been a change in plans. I have decided that Kagome's safety will be put in danger if we wait any longer to find her.”
 
“Gentlemen, we leave tonight.”