InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Soul Within ❯ To Be ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I know how much I suck right now but hear me out! I come bearing excuses! Firstly, my muse was off visiting a friend. Secondly, I have had so much work to do that I'm amazed that my hand still works correctly (I need to learn to be left-handed…). Finally, I DID write a one-shot during September. It is called Each Pixel. Read and Review if you haven't already!
 
Thank you all for being so cooperative while I wasn't updating. The next update will be a lot faster. I hate September so much…I'm so glad that it's over!
 
To all Canadians, have a great Thanksgiving weekend!! ^_^ Eat lots of turkey stuffing. Yum!
 
Quote of the Day: If you always do what you always did, then you'll always get what you always got.
 
**********
 
The Soul Within
Chapter Seventeen
 
Kagome turned over in her cot in attempt to find a better sleeping position. It was useless. She was wide-awake.
 
Kagome had spent the night before training with Kaede. The elder miko had not reviewed barriers, arrows or anything else that Kagome was used to. Kaede had taught her something different.
 
In Kaede's simple words, it was searching for her given power. At Kagome's confused look, Kaede had elaborated.
 
Basically, it was calling out the powers that every person was born with, miko or not. Only very advanced mikos were able to withdraw their hidden power, as it was not confirmed of what usually triggered it. Kaede admitted that she herself had not found her own hidden powers.
 
“So what makes you think that I can?” Kagome asked in apprehension.
 
Kaede smiled. “I don't think ye can child. I know ye can. It is time that ye know too.”
 
So Kagome had meditated…and meditated…and meditated…
 
And to her dismay, absolutely nothing happened.
 
At the end of the night, Kaede congratulated Kagome on her work and headed toward her new sleeping quarters, leaving Kagome in confusion.
 
Which led her to the present. Tossing, turning and pondering Kaede's new training.
 
Kagome had never felt so helpless in her life. She felt that instead of training, she had just lounged around all night and did nothing. She looked over at Shippo, who was breathing deeply next to her, and smoothed his hair gently.
 
Kagome let out a tired sigh and kicked off her blanket. She was just wasting her time lying there. Maybe she could try training again -
 
“Kagome,” said a quiet voice.
 
The young miko inhaled sharply and placed a hand over her heart. “Kami-sama…Miroku, you startled me,” she admitted in a whisper. Her heart was thumping in her chest.
 
“I apologize.”
 
“Don't worry about it.” Her heart was beginning to calm down. “What are you doing awake?” A thought occurred to her. “I didn't wake you, did I?” she asked frantically.
 
Miroku smiled. “Not to worry, Kagome. I haven't fallen asleep. Judging by your restlessness, you haven't either.”
 
Kagome blushed.
 
Miroku's face grew serious. “I assume that you feel it too?”
 
Knowing that she was going to sound stupid, Kagome hesitantly asked, “Feel…what?”
 
Miroku looked surprised. “I was assuming that you were unable to sleep because of the unusual aura in the air tonight.”
 
“Yes,” added another voice.
 
Again, Kagome nearly had a heart attack. “Kaede…you don't sound like you've had much sleep either,” she said.
 
“Of course not, child. Such a strange aura…”
 
Kagome felt a little left out. She sensed absolutely nothing.
 
As if reading her mind, Kaede smiled and said, “Do not be distressed child, though your body can't feel anything, your mind is on hyper alert right now, making ye unable to sleep.”
 
“Can you two sense it because you have these super spiritual powers that you were telling me about?” Kagome asked curiously. She was sure that her teacher had these powers, regardless of what she said.
 
Miroku raised his eyebrows. “That's a myth.”
 
Kaede frowned at him. “I do not believe that it is. It is rare but possible. There was a miko that lived decades ago when I was a young girl. She used to visit my village in bad times and help the wounded. The last time I saw her…” Kaede paused. “I do not remember when it was, or what she looked like, but she had extraordinary power. My mother told me that she had the power to change the fate of those around her. Bless people, curse people, and change reality.”
 
Miroku listened to Kaede's story politely but it was clear that he wasn't changing his views.
 
Kagome, on the other hand, hung on Kaede's every word. “Wow…” she said. “I can't believe that you think that I have this power when I can't even feel this aura!” she said in frustration.
 
Kaede smiled but continued as though she hadn't heard her apprentice's last sentence. “Since none of us are going to be sleeping tonight, perhaps we should meditate to relax our bodies, fooling them into thinking that they are asleep. We definitely need it for tonight.”
 
Kagome looked at Kaede. “So this strange aura definitely means that Naraku is coming tonight?”
 
Kaede closed her eyes and nodded slowly. It looked like she was already in a trance. Kagome looked at Miroku but he also appeared to be in a meditation trance.
 
Kagome crossed her arms defiantly. “Let him come. I won't ever let him take me away from here.”
 
Miroku and Kaede didn't answer, but she hadn't really expected them too.
 
“Never,” she repeated firmly.
 
At least…not alive.
 
**********
 
“How much longer?” Naraku asked coolly.
 
“Not long at all! According to this map that you gave me, Lord, we should be there by the time that the moon has risen in the sky.”
 
Naraku narrowed his eyes at the fool on the horse beside him. “I want to be there before dusk,” he said in a voice that left no room for negotiation.”
 
“B-But Sir! The whole journey from your village to this village is at least a day's ride! We couldn't possibly make it there before dusk,” the village man insisted.
 
Naraku gave a cold glare to the village man. Then, very calmly, he said, “Then I suggest you start riding faster. I will not be pleased if we are there later than I intend to be.” A malicious smirk resided on the hunter's lips.
 
That look was all that was needed for the man to hightail the horse forward.
 
Satisfied, Naraku turned to regard the rest of the men. “That means you too,” he said, addressing them as a whole.
 
Unified in fear, the men rushed their horses past him as fast as they could.
 
Naraku smiled. I will get you, little miko. It is almost time.
 
He slapped the rear of the horse suddenly and dashed through the trees.
 
**********
Kaede opened her eyes slowly, followed by Miroku. “He is here,” she stated simply.
 
Kagome took her time in facing her elder. When she finally did, Kaede was met with eyes that held fear, pain, truth… “I know,” she said quietly.
 
...And more determination then Kaede had ever seen on one woman…no, on anybody.
 
Kagome stood up. “I sensed him earlier too.”
 
Miroku looked at Kagome. “I will tell Sango. She should be up any minute. We'll back you up.”
 
“Miroku…I can't ask you or her to do that for me.” When Miroku opened his mouth to protest, Kagome added, “This is my battle.”
 
And that was when Miroku also noticed the fire in her eyes. He silently backed down. “Do your best, Kagome.”
 
Kagome nodded. “I will.”
 
Kaede smiled. “It is time to battle…and time for ye to win.”
 
Kagome faced her teacher and gave her a soft smile. “Yes…it is time.”