InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Time and Time Again ❯ Legend of the Shikon Jewel ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*AN: Par-tay Yo! Woot woot! More Reviews! I am the happiest person on the face of the Earth! Okay, calming down. Anyway, youse guys won't get this for another week or so, but since all of you people were so nice and reviewed, I'm going to write this now and update when I get home. Guess where I am? C'mon, guess! Okay, I am currently at the airport in Denver, Colorado (roughly a two-hour flight from my home) and since our (expletive) plane was (expletive) late, the (expletive) shuttle company (expletive) left without us and (expletive) set us up for a (expletive) seven o'clock (expletive) shuttle, and right now it is (expletive) 5:18! Not that I am bitter. So, I am stuck in the Denver airport with my father (who is reading The Five Love Languages of Teenagers--?????????) for the next two-or-so hours, with (thank god) my CD's (I'm listening to some of the theme songs from Inu-Yasha), my father's CD player and noise-canceling headphones, books, and (hallelujah) my laptop. Unfortunately, I have no Internet connection (expletive) (expletive) (expletive) (expletive) (expletive) (expletive) (expletive) (expletive) (expletive) (expletive) (expletive) (expletive) (expletive) (expletive) (expletive) (expletive) (expletive). Oh well, at least there's an ice-cream shop nearby. Peace out! <^-^>\/

Disclaimer: I do not own Inu-Yasha in any way. I wish I owned an airplane, because then I wouldn't be sitting on this chair in this god forsaken airport.

The thank-you section

FanFiction

Fay-of-Faerie-Woohoo! Thank-you so much for the names. I need a baby name book or something. I really like your stories, and I'm really glad that you think my story is good. I decided to use 'Raidon' for Hiten in the next chapter.

Seshoumaru's Wifey-*grins* I'm glad you like the story so much! I'll be happy to e-mail you when I update! *hugs to Seshoumaru's Wifey*

Japanese_Dragon-Sure I'll review! I'd be happy to! Thank-you for the support! <^-^>\/

Gizmo369-Thanks! *blushes insanely* (For some strange reason, compliments make me blush. Nothing else does)

kurumi-Don't worry! I'm updating!

EH-Thank-you very much! Merci beaucoup! (Again with the French obsession)

fetchboy84-Thank-you! I'm a fan of yours; I really like My Little Inuyasha and Freak Show. Don't worry; things will start to get a little more interesting.

Mediaminer

tawen-whitefire-Woohoo! Many thanks for the names! Plus, you're my first (and currently only) reviewer from mediaminer. Here, have a chocolate-chip cookie! (: :) (If you don't like chocolate chip, pretend it's something else)

Animespiral

Penguin10-Maybe . . . (cackles like a homicidal maniac)

None-*giggles* Don't sweat it; the new chapters are here!

EyeluvInuyasha-It's here! It's here! (You people sure like your updates don't you?)

********************************************************* *************************************************************************** *******

Several hours later found Saku, Kyo and Saya at Kyo's home. Kyo led his two friends to the main room, then left to look for his godfather and the right scroll. A few minutes later he returned with a worn book.

"My godfather is drunk again," he informed them, rolling his eyes, "he's passed out on the couch in the next room. He won't wake up for a few hours." He handed the book to Saya, who took it eagerly. "It's called 'Legend of the Shikon Jewel.' It should be somewhere in the middle."

"Hey Kyo! Get your ass over here so I can kick it!"

Kyo looked over at Saku who was seated on the floor in front of the TV holding a game controller. He chuckled darkly. "At Mariokart? In your dreams, dog-boy."

"Bring it on monk."

**fifteen minutes later**

"FUCK! NO! DON'T DIE MARIO, DON"T-AAAAAHHH! FUCK!"

"HAH! THREE RED SHELLS! KISS YOUR ASS GOOD-BYE, SAKU!"

"FUCK!"

"AH HAH HAH HAH HAH!"

"Will you two PLEASE SHUT UP?"

The two boys put the game on pause and smiled sheepishly. At least, Kyo smiled sheepishly. Saku just glared.

"Sorry Saya."

"Feh."

"Jeez, you two have problems. Anyway, I'm done."

"So? How was it?"

Saya looked at the book with a contemplating expression. "It was . . . strange."

"What do you mean?"

"It's just . . . I mean . . . I read a lot of these kinds of old legends, right? And you know that most of them have some sort of meaning or purpose, right?"

The two boys nodded, Saku a little less readily than Kyo.

"Well this one . . . it's like it's all set up to be this whole 'good triumphs over evil' thing. There's this evil guy who wants to use the Shikon Jewel to become a full demon named Naraku. The main characters are fighting him for different reasons. The demon exterminator, Sango is trying to avenge her family and get her little brother back, The monk, Miroku, is trying to get his hole in his hand fixed, the half-demon, Inu-Yasha, wants to become a full demon, and the priestess, Kagome, is trying to gather the shards together because she blasted it apart in the first place. There was one character that Kyo didn't mention though-a fox demon named Shippou. He kind of tags along because his parents were killed and Kagome kind of adopts him." She grinned, "I liked Sango the best; she's constantly beating up the monk because he gropes her all the time."

"Saya . . ."

"What? Oh, right. Anyway, the end is weird because you expect everyone to live, but . . ."

"But everyone dies?"

"Yes . . . I think."

"You think?"

"Yeah . . . The thing is, throughout the story, the person who wrote this keeps referring to this well that Lady Kagome keeps going back to. Actually, everything that has to do with Lady Kagome is a little hazy. The whole story was so descriptive that it was almost like I was there, but when it describes the last battle, all it says is that everyone dies and that Kagome was 'taken to the Bone-eater's Well, to never return.'"

Saku snorted, "So it's a fancy way of saying that she died. So what?"

Saya shook her head. "The thing is, for everyone else it says bluntly that they died. See? Here, 'Shippou, Sango and Lord Miroku were all killed by Kohaku's scythe.' That doesn't leave any room for interpretation."

Saku smirked arrogantly. "Still think this has something to do with Kagome Higurashi?"

Saya waved her hand absently. "You know I was teasing. This has nothing to do with Kagome. I just think this story is strange, that's all."

"Well DUH! It's a Feudal fairy tale! It's supposed to be strange."

"Saku, shut up," Kyo said offhandedly, "who did write it, Saya?"

"It says, 'the priestess, Lady Kaede."

********************************************************* *************************************************************************** *******

Three days later, Saku stormed into history just as the bell rang. Somehow, Kyo had conned him into carrying around the book of legends, since Saya was out sick. She's probably skipping school anyway, just to spite me, he thought, even though he knew that Saya wouldn't skip school for such a trivial reason. And now I have to deal with the freak, Kagome Higurashi, AND I still haven't started that gods damned project. Fuck.

Saku's furious tirade was interrupted b the history teach speaking. "Class, there has been a change of plan. Instead of tomorrow, the project will be due at the end of the month."

Finally, someone up there likes me.

"However, it will be a partner project, and I well assign you a new legend. I am sorry for the short notice."

Ah, FUCK.

"You may still turn in the other project for extra credit if you wish. Now, the partners will be . . ." The teacher trailed off listing pairs for the project and what legends they would present. Saku tuned out until he heard his name. ". . . and the last pair will be Saku and Kagome presenting 'Legend of the Shikon Jewel'. Any questions?"

Saku groaned inaudibly. Great. Figures that I'd be the one to work with Kagome. At least I know that Kyo has the story.

Kagome, on the other hand, froze the moment she heard her partner and closed her eyes. For crying out loud, get a grip, Kagome! Just . . . try to ignore him and get this done. You can do this . . . I hope.

The school bell broke into both Saku's and Kagome's thoughts, and both left for the door. Kagome walked the way to her locker deep in thought, only to be interrupted by Saku slamming his hand into the locker next to hers, startling her.

"So . . ." he drawled, "your house or mine?"

Kagome refused to look at him. "I'm sorry?"

"The project, idiot," he snorted, rolling his eyes, "We've got to work on it sometime. You can come to my house, but my asshole of a brother, Kioshi, and his wife Sorano don't like me too much."

Kagome closed her eyes and leaned her head on her locker while her mind whirled. If I go over to his house, I might see Sesshomaru . . . or Rin . . . would I be able to take that along with everything else? On the other hand, would I be able to stand having him in mine? I . . . dammit . . . I hate this . . .

"WELL?"

Kagome looked him in the eyes. "Be at my house tomorrow at four." She turned around and started to walk away, then stopped and turned around hesitantly. "I'll . . . I'll be waiting for you."

Saku watched her walk away, utterly confused. That's it. Kagome Higurashi, if it's the last thing I do, I'm going to figure you out.

********************************************************* *************************************************************************** *******

Kagome walked through the streets back to her house, almost as confused as Saku. Why is this happening? I pushed them away . . . I tried to forget . . .and now I'm falling apart, and it's barely been four days! I don't . . . I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to do this . . . Suddenly, Kagome stopped dead in her tracks and hit herself in the cheek. For god's sake, Kagome, stop pitying yourself. You sound like some whiny two-year-old. She shook her head to clear it, then pushed Saku to the back of her mind. This is ridiculous. He'll come over at four, and I'll treat him like any other classmate. He's just another classmate. Just another classmate. She repeated this phrase until it became a mantra. Just another classmate. Just another classmate. She became so absorbed in her chanting that she almost didn't hear the cry of pain from the alleyway she was passing. She stopped to listen.

"Ow! Stop it! I didn't do anything, I swear!"

"Stupid brat! Look, you made me get my shoes all dirty!"

Hur hur hur . . . hit him again, brother."

"Lemme go! Stop it! Stop hurting me! Please!"

Kagome entered the alley, only to see a small figure huddled on the ground while to other, bigger figures kicked him.

"Ow! Lemme go!"

"Huh. Stupid-"

That was as far as the taller figure got before both of them were attacked by a petite figure holding a broken board. Both of the taller figures ran away in confusion, unable to tell in the dark alley how many attackers there were. Kagome dropped the broken two-by-four and crouched next to the huddled figure on the ground.

"Hey, you alright?" she asked, touching the small boy's shoulder gently.

The boy looked up, his vivid green eyes wide with fear. "Don't hurt me?" He pleaded. He very suddenly found himself wrapped up in his rescuer's arms and stiffened in shock, only to relax when he heard the low sobbing sounds she was making. "Hey, don't cry. Please don't cry." He wrapped his arms around the strange girl's neck and buried his face in her shoulder. He didn't know why this girl was crying, but it felt good to be held in her arms and he was weak after being beaten. His last thought before he fell asleep was, Why is she calling me Shippou?

********************************************************* *************************************************************************** *******

*AN: Woohoo! It's Shippou! I feel so bad about what I'm doing to Kagome. Don't worry, she gets better. By the way, sorry about that 'it's a Feudal fairy tale' thing. It was just to good of an opportunity to pass up. Oh, and I love Super Mariokart.

PS: I decided on Sorano for guess who? I'll give you a hint. Sorano means, 'of the sky.'