InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Time and Time Again ❯ Partial Truths and Fujita's Memories ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: Hey all! I'm back from camp! It was tons of fun, and I got a year of high school language credit too. ^-^ Sorry if this is late, but as it turns out I'm going to my family reunion. >P I am the designated family baby-sitter, meaning that I am to keep my cousins and whoever other little kids there are from destroying the house and killing each other. I also have to somehow think up a plan to get them from chasing the five or so dogs that get dragged along. All this, and I have to stay out of they way of my older cousin who does not like me at all and be a "socially interactive person," as my mom calls it. You wanna know what this means? I'll tell you.

NO COMPUTER.

I hate my life.

It doesn't help me that my dog, Miki, whom we have had for thirteen years and I made my username after, was just put down, and my sister's rabbit died too.

********************************************************* *******************************************

Saku was pissed.

Sure, he wasn't the best informant on girls, seeing all he had was a stuck-up older brother, but for crying out loud this Kagome girl was really starting to piss him off.

The day after she had broken down in Kyo's bathroom she had resorted to her icy silence with what seemed to be a brand-new vigor. Any time she saw him or Saya or Kyo in the hallways, she would vanish from sight. Saya's theory was that she was embarrassed for crying in front of them, but all three of the friends new that this was a weak explanation. Kagome was trying to distance herself from hem and his two friends, and, to his surprise, Saku found that he didn't like it one bit. He didn't know what it was, but something inside of him was furious that Kagome would try to stay away from him.

That was why he was here now.

He found out that Kagome stayed after school for a little while every day before she went home. He decided that he would confront her while there was no one else around and find out the truth about why she was trying to be so distant from everyone else. This wasn't just curiosity anymore. Saya for one was genuinely worried about the student she had shown around; she seemed to have no friends, and what with the information they had managed to find, he was worried too.

It had been Kyo who had found the article in the paper. He had been searching through some old newspapers for a literature project when he had chanced upon one that caught his eye. He hadn't been surprised that the paper was more than a year old; Mushin was notorious for never throwing anything away.

The article was a small one, about a girl who had been mugged. This in itself wasn't so interesting; some bored reporter must have used it for a low-rate human interest story. The reporter had used the mugging as an example for how much more violent gangs in Tokyo were getting, because the girl in question had been so severely hurt that she had been in the intensive care unit for almost two weeks, and remained in the hospital for another two. Kyo had been surprised at this; to be in the ICU for that long you had to be pretty much near death. The thing that had caught his eye, however, was the name. Kagome Higurashi…

So here Saku was, after school, looking for a girl and to top it all off, he wasn't sure why.

Saku did not like not being sure of things.

He found Kagome at her locker, sorting through books and searching for her homework, and slammed his hand on the locker next to her. To his surprise, she didn't jump, but she froze in place.

"Okay, Higurashi, I'm sick of this. What the hell happened to you?" He growled.

The only reaction he got was a blank look and a whispered, "I don't know what you mean."

He snarled again. Dammit, he was in a bad mood and this girl wasn't making it much better. "Dammit Kagome, then how come every time you hear the name Inu-Yasha you start crying? Why can't you stand to look at me? Do I remind you that much of your dead boyfriend?"

Kagome looked down. "What do you mean?" She knew full well what he meant; she just hoped that he didn't.

"Fuck, Kagome, I know about the mugging. Where you came out of it almost dead. But your boyfriend didn't, did he?" He smirked, knowing that he had finally cornered her and she knew it. "What happened? Did they kill your boyfriend because he betrayed them? Get over it Kagome, people die every day."

He turned to walk away, thinking he had had the last word, when someone grabbed his shoulders and shoved him against he lockers What the . . . He looked down into Kagome's stormy eyes.

They burned.

"Listen to me you bastard!" She hissed venomously. "You have no idea what happened that day. Don't you dare presume to know me!"

"Yeah, well I think I have a pretty good idea of what happened." He hissed back.

"YOU HAVE NO IDEA!" She was on the verge of screaming now. "Naraku killed everyone in front of my eyes! He sent Sango's brother after her because he knew she couldn't kill him! Miroku tried to save her because he loved her, but he never got to say it to her, but a fat lot of good that did him because Kohaku kill him too! Then he killed my baby because Shippou was trying to stop Kohaku, and Inu-Yasha…" There were tears rolling down her face, but Saku was too stunned by the quiet girl's sudden outburst to do anything about them. "Inu-Yasha died in my arms! With his last breath he told me he loved me, but he died before I got to tell him! Do you understand? I NEVER GOT TO TELL HIM THAT I LOVED HIM!

Kagome released her hold on Saku, but shoved him to the side, where he stumbled and landed on his back, looking up at her. She looked down at him, chest heaving and fists clenched, angry tears still rolling down her flushed cheeks.

"Don't you dare say you know me." She hissed, then ran down the hallway and out of the school, leaving her bags next to a stunned Saku.

Oh my God . . .

********************************************************* *******************************************

Kagome ran to her room, mercifully not running into any of her family members on the way. She burst through the door and crashed into her bed, sobbing with rage and sorrow.

How dare he! He has no idea what happened that day! How dare he presume to know what happening to me . . .

She silently got a hold on herself and stopped sobbing, but a few sniffs now and then betrayed her. She wasn't sure what was happening to her, and it scared her. She never would have done that to Sake a year ago. But then again, a lot had happened since a year ago . . .

A soft tug on her jacket interrupted her thought process, and she looked down to see a pair of wide, green eyes.

"'Gome, are you okay?" asked Fujita.

Kagome nodded and gave Fujita a hug, which he returned happily. Kagome had asked her mother if young orphan could stay at her house, and her mother had agreed readily; partly because she herself was too good natured to leave a little boy out on the streets, and partly because of her daughters face while she was holding the young boy's hand. For the first time in a year, Kagome had looked truly happy. What kind of mother could take that expression of her daughter's face?

As she sat next to Fujita, Kagome made her decision. She let go of the red-haired boy and went to her closet, returning with a small leather pouch. She shook it out on her bed, and a few acorns, leaves, and a toy snake tumbled out. Fujita looked up at Kagome in confusion.

"'Gome, what are these?"

"Well, they're yours now. The used to belong to a very good friend of mine, but . . . he died. I think . . . I think you should have them now." She answered quietly.

Fujita smiled at his new presents and picked u the toy snake. Suddenly, his smile dropped and his face turned pale. He dropped the snake and started to shake. Kagome looked at him, confused. What in the . .

That's when Fujita started screaming.

"Mama! Mama!"

Kagome grabbed him and pressed his shuddering body to her own. She curled herself around him, trying to protect him from what was happening. What's going on? What's happening to him? Oh God, don't let anything happen to him, I can't lose him again . . .

Suddenly his little body went lax and Kagome sat up on the bed, Fujita still cradled in her slender arms. As she looked down at him to see if he was alright, he opened his eyes and looked at her solemnly.

What he said next stunned her more than anything in the Feudal world ever had.

"I think we should wake up Sango, Miroku, and Inu-Yasha too, Okaa-san."

********************************************************* *******************************************

AN: Looks like Fujita just got hit by the memory truck. If you noticed, I didn't do the review responses. I've decided to do them if I get a very specific review or if a reviewer has a question, because they take up a lot of space and I'm running out of languages to say thank you in.

Again, I'm sorry for the delay, but I was kicked off my computer. >P Thank you all for being so patient with me!!!