InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Summon a Mate ❯ November 5 ( Chapter 7 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer- I do not own Inuyasha and I am making no money off this fic.
 
 
 
 
Nov. 5
 
Kagome quietly crept into her mother's room, the warm mug heating her cold hands. She sighed at the clock up on her mother's wall, her tired eyes making the numbers slightly blurry but still readable. Four freakin' thirty-seven o'clock in the morning.
 
She hadn't been able to sleep once she had finished the book two hours ago. Inuyasha was still sleeping after assuring him she was only going to her mother's room and receiving another lecture on not taking so long.
 
Honestly, she had been lucky Inuyasha hadn't torn the bathroom wall down…
 
She dropped down into her usual spot, the tea perfuming the stuffy room with lavender. She stared at her mother's wide awake face. The depression made her sleep almost all the time, but it also gave her nights when the memories wouldn't let her go.
 
Her mother stared right through her, her eyes not even flickering towards the fresh cup of tea.
 
Kagome shifted and leaned against the night stand, trying to get comfortable. “So I finally read the book. But I think I have more questions then I did before. I know what Inuyasha is now though. He's a fallen angel or, a descendent of one anyway.” She laughed suddenly. “Oh wow, Inuyasha could have been an angel.”
 
She shrugged at her mother's blank face. “Ok, so I guess I'm the only one who thinks that's funny.” She muttered, as if her mother had been listening anyway. “I know a little more about the mark on my hand. But the damn book didn't say anything about this flame thing or what the color is supposed to be.” She held up her palm in front of her mother's empty gaze. “See Mama? That jerk gave this to me, and then hasn't said a word about it since.”
 
She looked back down on her palm, glum. “And the book didn't explain why Inuyasha would say...that...after he saw the mark. Maybe it's just one of those possessive demon things? And what did she mean, I'm weird? And who am I supposed to ask anyway?”
 
She dropped her hand back into her lap. “I'm confused about Miroku though. He made it all sound so serious. Could he have had a different copy of the book? I mean, as long as you're careful you're supposed to fall in love fairly easily.” She frowned, thinking back to how Miroku and Sango treated each other. “Then again, he might be one of the mates that screwed up.”
 
She turned to face her mother, silently begging her to really look at her. “And I really could Mama. I could fall for Inuyasha. But…but the longer I'm with him, the more something doesn't feel right.” She leaned her chin on the mattress, her hands balancing her body. “He doesn't treat me like a jerk; he doesn't seem reluctant to court me, and the mark is black. He hasn't done anything to make me suspicious, but something just feels wrong. Please Mama, tell me this is normal. Tell me you felt like this with dad sometimes.” She begged, hoping her mother would wake up already.
 
Her mother stared ahead, her eyes impassive.
 
Kagome drew back. “Did gramps tell you yet you're going away? Do you even care?” she snapped, getting up.
 
Her mother continued to lie still on the bed, her eyes unseeing and her hands tucked under her cheek like a heartbroken child.
 
“There are other people here Mom. You weren't the only one who lost someone.” Kagome whispered, knowing her words fell on deaf ears.
 
As she walked towards the door she grabbed her mother's tea out of spite, but couldn't feel its warmth.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------
 
Kagome sighed as she slowly woke up, feeling a slight pressure on her stomach and silk on her fingertips. She stretched slightly, receiving a lazy lick on her skin in return.
 
She languidly stroked her hand through the soft strands, the resounding purr vibrating through her body.
 
Inuyasha shifted so his warm breath flirted across her belly button, giving her pleasant goose bumps. His hand felt heavy on her hip, but it wasn't entirely uncomfortable. His claws tickled her sides as he breathed and the hair that wasn't bunched up in her grasp fanned across her skin.
 
“What time is it?” she murmured, not wanting to open her eyes just yet. Opening her eyes meant that really was Inuyasha's naked form pinning half of her body down and it was probably to early in the morning for her hormones to go berserk.
 
“Time to sleep some more. You don't have `skool'.” He informed her drowsily, his hand tightening lightly on her hip as if to hold his pillow down.
 
“School. And how do you know?”
 
She felt Inuyasha smirk against her skin. “I learned how to read your calendar.”
 
“That's great, but I need to make breakfast and we need to talk-“
 
“Feh. You always `need to talk'.” He complained, his thumb beginning to draw little circles. “Sweetheart, it's early in the morning, there are so many other things we could be doing.”
 
“Like eating. Or talking.” Kagome finished for him, struggling to sit up.
 
Inuyasha kissed her stomach. “I could go for a bite.” He smirked, nipping around her naval.
 
Kagome put her hand on Inuyasha's head and shoved, surprised when he let her push him away. “I want to talk. Then we'll eat and maybe go out.”
 
Inuyasha's cute little ears twitched. “Me to?” he asked cautiously and almost…hopefully?
 
Kagome nodded her head. “Duh.” Maybe later she should ask some more questions about his life 500 years ago. He always seemed so surprised whenever she treated him a certain way.
 
She scooted up and rested her back against the head board, keeping her gaze above Inuyasha's shoulders. And maybe later they would have another talk of why he needed clothes…
 
She cleared her throat, trying to stop herself before she could become unfocused. “I want to talk about yesterday.”
 
Inuyasha's eyes narrowed and he crossed his arms over his chest, Kagome admiring the effect very much. “Me to. What the-”
 
“What did Sango mean?” Kagome interrupted before he could finish, leaving him frowning at her. She spread her open palm over he knee nervously. “When she said I was of Midoriko's line.”
 
Inuyasha shrugged. “Hell if I know.”
 
“Lie.” Kagome blurted out in unison with whatever voice in her soul was screaming out. Lie,lie,lieeeee.
 
Inuyasha drew back, “What do you mean?” he asked suspiciously.
 
He's nervous. Nervous, nervous, nervousssssss.
 
But about what?
 
Kagome licked her lips out of habit, noticing his eyes didn't flicker down to watch her tongue. Instead he kept his gaze firmly on hers. “To me it sounded like she meant I'm some kind of relative of Midoriko.”
 
Inuyasha's claws dug into his arms ever-so- slightly, the movement so minimal Kagome wouldn't have noticed it if she hadn't been so aware of him. “Sango's insane.” he said bluntly. “Don't listen to anything she has to say.”
 
Kagome pursed her lips, “Why does it sound like you're...familiar with Sango?” she asked, not liking the jealously that suddenly twisted her guts.
 
He glared right back, “Why were you so familiar with that asshole yesterday?” he retorted.
 
Inuyasha growled suddenly, looking over at her clock. “Can we save the argument for later? I wanted to go out today.”
 
Kagome crossed her hands over her chest in return, remembering what the book said about letting him walk over her. “I want some answers Inuy-“
 
“I've been trapped in a prison for 500 years Kagome.” he snapped. He looked down, and Kagome had the sense that he was suddenly ashamed for his rough tone. “I just want to go out. Then we can `talk' all you want tonight.” Inuyasha mumbled, peering at her from the corner of his eyes.
 
Kagome paused, feeling his hope. To be honest, she really didn't want to fight with him. She wanted another day where her instincts weren't grating on her nerves, where she ignored that she wasn't ignoring the bad feelings churning in her stomach.
 
She nodded, “Alright.” she agreed.
 
“Can I help you cook breakfast?” he asked when he let their lips pop apart.
 
Kagome panted slightly, and looked at him, glad to see his eyes were a little unfocused at least. “Put some clothes on and sure.”
 
-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8- 8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8
 
Miroku sat on his couch, the clock's silence annoying him. The old one used to tick with each second that passed, but it drove Sango so insane she ripped it off the wall and smashed it under her foot about two weeks after she arrived.
 
He rolled the prayer beads between his hands, keeping an eye on the new quiet clock.
He knew it wasn't good to keep her in the beads for long, but he couldn't let her run to attack Inuyasha and Kagome again either.
 
He stared at the clock, the black prayer beads cold against his skin. He hated the damn silence. He needed something to distract him, to help him forget what he had just done to Sango.
 
Again.
 
He leaned forward and buried his face in his hands, the hard beads biting into his cheek. The quiet was going to drive him crazy…
 
He stood up and ripped the beads off his hand, his red mark pulsing under its covering. He closed his eyes and held the long string to his forehead.
 
The cold slowly left the beads as Sango materialized into view, her limp form lying helpless on the floor. Her skin was pale and clammy, her lips tinted blue and her muscles too weak to even shiver from the cold.
 
Miroku wrapped the beads back around his hand and knelt down to take her into his arms.
 
Sango's head rolled to the side, the only strength in her body held in her blazing, angry eyes. “I...hate...you.” She hissed venomously.
 
Miroku held her to him more closely, “I know.” He told her, hating himself to.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------
 
“Fuck! What the hell is wrong with this thing?” Inuyasha cursed after slamming his finger in the kitchen drawer.
 
Kagome rolled her eyes while Souta continued to stare adoringly at Inuyasha. “He is so cool.” He breathed.
 
Inuyasha kicked at the cabinet lightly, “Is this like some kind of demon or somethin'?”
 
“Inuyasha! Don't kick that! And just watch where you put your fingers.”
 
“Oi, the damn thing should know not to close if my fingers are in the way!”
 
“It's not alive Inuyasha, it's just a box on wheels. It can't do anything you didn't make it do.”
 
“He is soooooo cool.”
 
“Are you saying it's my fault my finger's turning purple?”
 
“Was it your fault you slammed it back in without moving your hand out of the way?”
 
“It shouldn't have moved!”
 
“Inuyasha can you date Kagome?” Souta interrupted eagerly.
 
“SOUTA!” Kagome screeched, Inuyasha looking on confused.
 
“I can turn Kagome into a fruit?”
 
“NO! Grrr, Souta, go sit down! And you, don't touch the drawers anymore!” Kagome snapped, shoving Inuyasha aside and grabbing a knife herself.
 
“Where did you get fruit from? Don't you know what dating is? I mean, you're so cool, so you must have dated tons of hot girls.” Souta chattered, ignoring the dark looks from his sister and the way she fingered the knife. “I know Kag could use some work, but can't you give her a few pity dates?”
 
“Souta, if you want to live to be a teenager, shut up.” Kagome hissed, slicing the bread violently.
 
Inuyasha sat down at the table across from Souta, “Feh, I wanna know what he means.” He crossed his arms over his chest and gave one of those `man to man' looks with Souta.
 
Click
 
…ouch!
 
Kagome looked down at her throbbing finger, wondering why it was suddenly in so much pain. While she watched, it swelled slightly, the flesh turning pink. She frowned and reached over to turn the cold water on.
 
Inuyasha you said you would kill anyone I asked, kill my brother! Kagome begged.
 
Feh, you're not in mortal danger so his death can wait a minute. Inuyasha kept his attention focused mostly on Souta.
 
Kagome let the cool liquid run over her hurting finger, not noticing the way Inuyasha relaxed as well.
 
“Dating's like when you go to places with someone you like.” Souta said matter-of-factly. “If you like the person, it turns exclusive.”
 
Kagome snorted, “Since when do you know big words like `exclusive'?” She leaned against the sink, letting Souta and Inuyasha distract her. But really, what had she done to hurt her finger?
 
“Dr. Saito explained it to me when I saw it in one of the Halloween books. But could you date Kagome, pleaseeee? You're so cool!”
 
“So it's like courtship?” Inuyasha asked.
 
Souta shrugged, “A little less formal, but mostly.”
 
Inuyasha sent a slow, long smirk at Kagome.
 
Inuyasha! Don't you dare! He's never going to let me hear the end of it! Kagome moaned.
 
Would I ever do anything to upset you mate? Inuyasha asked to innocently.
 
Yes
 
“Souta, I would be more then happy to eat your sister.” Inuyasha said smoothly.
 
`Date' you jerk! Not eat! He's not talking about the fruit! Kagome wailed, Inuyasha's chuckling rumbling through her mind.
 
“Inuyasha, if appearing in public with her is so embarrassing you have to kill her, then…well, could you at least make it painless?” Souta asked, not understanding Inuyasha's…ahem…'mistake'.
 
Kagome jerked her finger out from under stream of water, glaring at both of them. She gritted her teeth and slapped the food down onto the plate. She marched it over to the table and sat down. Ignoring the other two's empty stomachs, she dug into the food.
 
“Ma-Kagome,” Inuyasha corrected quickly at her glare. “Isn't that for all of us?”
 
“According to you, you'll have enough to `eat' later.” She sniffed, her fork stabbing the eggs. “And sorrrrrrry if I don't want to feed the accomplice to my future murderer.” She directed at her brother, enjoying the food.
 
Inuyasha whined in her head and his hair twitched from where his ears were hiding. Mate He called softly.
 
Kagome rolled her eyes again, You know, you're lucky I can't sit-
 
CRASH
 
Kagome gasped and Souta sprang back as Inuyasha fell and landed flat on the ground.
 
“Inuyasha, I'm so sorry!” Kagome hit her head and kneeled next to him. “Are you alright? I didn't think that would happen!”
 
Souta gaped at his sister, “You pushed him over Kagome?” he choked. “How could you? He's so cool!”
 
Inuyasha got slowly up, the spell finally releasing him as Kagome chucked over him.
 
He looked at her sharply; echo's of the spell's pain still raking him. “It's fine as long as it doesn't happen again.” He stressed the last part.
 
Souta looked at him solemnly, “Don't worry Inuyasha, I'll make sure she never pushes you over again.”
 
Kagome bit her lip, “I'm really sorry Inuyasha. Here, let me make you some more food.”
 
Inuyasha sat back in his seat and stole her bacon. “This is fine.” He said, chewing on the meat.
 
Silently, Souta took some eggs and French toast from her sister's plate while she was looking over Inuyasha.
 
I'm really, really, really, really, really, really-
 
It's fine. Inuyasha interrupted, even though it really, really wasn't.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------
 
Kagome guilty glanced over at Inuyasha for the third time in a minute as they walked. He didn't act like he had seen her stare and was to busy looking at everything to comment on it anyway.
 
She still felt horrible about accidentally sitting him. Even more so with the book's warning. She almost hated Miroku for giving it to her.
 
So what was stopping her from taking it off?
 
“What's that?” Inuyasha asked, gesturing with his chin.
 
“Skyscraper.” Kagome said patiently for the tenth time.
 
“You said the last thing was a airstriker.”
 
“Skyscraper, and yes. They're all similar types of buildings so they have the same name.” Kagome tried to explain.
 
Kagome stared at him from the corner of her eye, finding it was hard to pull her gaze away from him. The sunlight turned his silver hair into white gold, and the scarf wrapped around his neck drew attention to his strong chin and jawbone. His red baseball cap was pulled low, but the rim highlighted his eyes whenever he turned to look at her.
 
It was only the ugly blue binding beads that ruined the whole package.
 
Inuyasha's nose scrunched up, “It stinks here.” he complained again.
 
Kagome nodded, “Just wait till the summer when it's hot and everyone's sweating and garbage is rotting.” she shuddered, not looking forward to it.
 
“Feh, we'll move out to the woods. It can't be nearly as bad there as it is here.”
 
“We don't have any money. And besides, I have-“
 
“Skool.” Inuyasha finished for her, still pronouncing it badly. “What's that?”
 
Kagome squealed when she saw the Ferris wheel Inuyasha was pointing at over the tree line. “That's where we're going, come on.” she grabbed his arm and dragged him along.
 
“This is the Harvest Festival.” Kagome explained as she pulled him into the park where the fair was being held. “It's got rides, games, and food, and only comes once a year. I thought you might like to see it.”
 
Inuyasha stared wide-eyed and his mouth gaping open at the fair, unsure of what to look at first.
 
Kagome giggled and grabbed his hand, her face lighting up in a blush when Inuyasha intertwined their fingers. “C'mon, you have to try out the Scrambler.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------
 
“-and he's so cool Dr. Saito! I really hope he lets Kagome date him.” Souta prattled on, staring at the ceiling while Dr. Satio's shoes clicked smartly on the wooden floor.
 
“That's wonderful Souta.” Dr. Saito encouraged. “I'm so glad you've made a new friend.”
 
Souta noticed the edge of his psychologist's expensive tailored trousers appear out of the corner of his eye while he twisted on the couch, trying to get more comfortable.
 
“So tell me Souta, “ Dr. Saito began, the clickity-clack starting up again. “How did Kagome react the next day to our little joke?”
 
Souta frowned, wanting to complain about the constant noise, but didn't want to upset Dr. Saito either. “She still seemed pretty angry. Her cheeks were red, her eyes were kinda bright and she acted funny. And she was mean, she wouldn't let me stay home to wait for Dad.” Souta pouted, still upset about it. “But she seemed ok later, though I noticed she tried to avoid mirrors.” he chuckled.
 
Dr. Saito hummed and the clicking was replaced by a pen scrawling across a clipboard for a moment. “Have you noticed any other changes?”
 
Souta shrugged, “She's been different but it's not really a...a bad different I guess.”
 
“Hmmm...and then your new friend...Inuyasha was it? Appeared two days ago?”
 
“Yep!” Souta confirmed happily. “He's so cool. It would be awesome if he would let Kag date him, but I'm not sure she'll be that lucky unless I talk him into it.”
 
Dr. Saito laughed. “Kagome is a lovely girl Souta.” The clicking slowed as Dr. Saito walked in the direction of the floor to floor windows. “And I have a good feeling you might get what you wish for.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------
 
“Inuyasha-“ Kagome squeaked out, trying to avoid getting any more teddy bear fluff in her mouth. “Really, I think I'm good.”
 
“Feh.” he replied and Kagome heard the twang as he released his arrow and the sudden thump as it hit its target.
 
“Jesus Christ kid, would you go play something else already?” The carinii asked angrily. “You're making me look bad.”
 
Kagome had the sense Inuyasha was scowling, but couldn't really tell since the giant stuffed snake she had draped around her neck was blocking most of her eyesight. “I want that giant panda thing to-“
 
“Then just take it!” the man snapped and shoved it at Kagome. “Go somewhere else, I barely have any prizes now!”
 
“Then make the game harder asshole.” Inuyasha shot back as Kagome pulled him away, struggling to hold on to all the prizes Inuyasha had won for her.
 
“I think we've played enough.” Kagome declared firmly, trying to better grasp the giraffe Inuyasha had won from the paint ball game.
 
“Just a few more.” Inuyasha said back, dragging her over to the tin can alley.
 
Kagome strained to see over the gorilla that the snake was holding onto her, noticing the fair employee working the ball game growing pale as they approached.
 
“Look kid, there's a water dunk a few booths over, wouldn't you rather go beat that?” the men begged as Inuyasha picked up one of the baseballs lying on the counter.
Inuyasha tossed the ball lightly in his hand for a moment, before rearing back and violently throwing the ball at the stack of tin cans.
 
The carinii whimpered as the ball knocked over the cans and impeded itself into the cheap metal.
 
Kagome sighed and tried to shift all the things she was holding. “Inuyasha, I really can't carry anything more.”
 
“Yeah, be nice to your girlfriend pal.” The man encouraged. “In fact, why don't you be a gentleman and take some of that for her?”
 
Inuyasha ignored them both as he studied the prizes hanging on the wall. Finally he reached out and took a hair clip with blue and green feathers streaming down on leather strings off the display.
 
Gently, he slid some of Kagome's hair over her shoulder and behind her ear before snapping the clip in to hold it back. He took a moment to admire the way the blue and green complimented her black hair before sighing and taking the giant Tigger and panda from her. “I guess I'm done.” he said glumly.
 
Kagome beamed, liking the feeling of the feathers hanging against her skin, “Great! Come on now, you have to try a funnel cake!” she told him, leaving the grateful booth workers behind as they headed for the food court.
 
Inuyasha's nostrils flared and he jerked, almost overwhelmed by millions of new scents. Kagome laughed when he sneezed and shook his head like a dog.
 
“Is there too much sensation Inuyasha?” Kagome dumped her prizes on an empty picnic table, noticing the way Inuyasha's eyes were starting to squint from the bright, neon lights.
 
“I'll get used to it.” Inuyasha dismissed, and sat down close next to her. She blushed when he rested his hand on her back. “What's a tunnel pie?”
 
Funnel cake.” Kagome corrected while she counted out how much money she had left. “It's this big pile of fried sweet dough covered in sugar, it's sooooo good. If you don't like it I'll finish it for you.” Especially since she only had enough money for one. “Could you stay here while I grab it, the booth's only over there.” Kagome pointed out to a large metal trailer lit up with lights while Inuyasha frowned.
 
“Why can't I come?”
 
“Because I don't want to carry all this stuff and I don't want to leave it here.” Kagome patted his hand consolingly. “Don't worry Inuyasha, you won't be alone for long.” she teased, pretending to misunderstand why he wanted to come with her.
 
“Feh. Just don't take long.” He ordered, eyeing the line of people.
 
Kagome grinned and impulsively leaned forward to kiss his cheek, “Be right back.”
 
Inuyasha lightly touched his skin as she got up, knowing he really wasn't blushing even though it felt like he was. He was a big, tough, invincible demon prince, he was not blushing just because his mate had done such a little thing. Especially when he really didn't care that much.
 
The cotton candy Kagome had given to him earlier suddenly churned in his stomach. Why was it twisting his guts to admit he was indifferent to her? Since when hadn't it been true?
 
“Is that who I think it is?” a voice from behind him called out, sending Inuyasha's hackles up.
 
He took another breath, and nearly gagged at the reek.
 
Kouga sat down across from Inuyasha, a sneer on his face and his eyes hard, ignoring the way Inuyasha's lips subtlety tightened. “Well I guess it is. Damn mutt, what spawn of Midoriko's let you out of your cage?”
 
Inuyasha's eyes flashed red. “She is not spawn.” he snapped. “What the hell do you want?”
 
Kouga flicked one of Kagome's stuffed toys, “What? An old friend can't chat up the West's biggest traitor? What's it been mutt, 500 years? Damn, how time flies. I honestly thought I'd never see you again. Kinda hoped I wouldn't either.”
 
Inuyasha forced himself to stay calm, his eyes touching on Kagome quickly to make sure she was safe before returning to Kouga, “I don't know what you've been hearing, but I did not betray anyone, and I don't have any fucking idea about what you're talking about.” His eyes returned to Kagome guiltily. Or at least he hadn't yet.
 
Kouga rolled his eyes and crossed his arms over his chest, “Sureeeeeee.” he said mockingly. “So is that poor bitch the sucker who freed you?” he jerked his head in Kagome's direction.
 
Inuyasha bared his teeth, not caring if the humans saw his fangs. “Leave her out of this.”
 
“What's your plan this time mutt? You gonna use her the same way you used Kikyo? Are you trying for the jewel again bastard?”
 
“I said, leave them alone unless you want to be reminded of what it felt like to get your ass kicked.” Inuyasha snarled, claws lengthening in his fists.
 
Kouga snorted, “You've been stuck in a mirror for the last 500 years, you couldn't beat your way out of a paper lantern.” He looked Kagome up and down insultingly. “At least you were lucky enough to find a hot moron to free you-“
 
Kouga was interrupted by Inuyasha's fist plowing into his cheek and knocking him off the bench. The food court went silent as they stared at the two demons.
 
Kouga slowly got up, blood trickling out of his mouth. Without breaking eye contact, he spit on Kagome's panda, the red staining the white fur. “Bring it flea bag.”
 
Without a word Inuyasha launched himself at his former sparring partner and let his fists fly.
 
“Fight, fight, fight!” Someone started to chant out, and their audience started to group around Kouga and Inuyasha, cheering and egging them on.
 
Inuyasha grunted when Kouga scored a hit on his stomach, but felt validated when the crowd roared in approval as he knocked Kouga's legs out from under him.
 
“Traitor.” Kouga barked, flipping back up.
 
“What the hell is with you people thinking I betrayed someone?” Inuyasha snapped. “If anything, I was betrayed.”
 
Kouga blocked a hit from Inuyasha's fist, “Oh, don't even fucking act like that.”
 
“Act like what?”
 
Click
 
Inuyasha's claws slashed Kouga's collarbone, drawing blood for the excited crowd.
 
Inuyasha! What are you doing?!? Stop before I have to bail you out of jail! Kagome begged. I don't have that much money!
 
Inuyasha jerked in surprise and looked over the crowd to see Kagome trying to struggle through.
 
Mate, get back-
 
Kouga's foot smashed into Inuyasha's side, sending Kagome screaming to the ground.
Inuyasha's eyes widened in horror while Kouga paused, looking confused. “Did your chick just-“
 
A savage growl ripped out of Inuyasha's throat before he smashed his fist into Kouga's jaw, sending him flying into the suddenly frightened crowd, his eyes stinging as they burned bright red.
 
He bared his fangs like a pissed off dog, going down into a crouch as he snarled, his entire being begging him to rip Kouga into shreds for hurting his mate.
 
Fucking hell, HIS MATE WAS HURT! Because of that damn mind meld!
 
His every nerve shook in rage as the thought circled his head over, and over again, his screaming muscles bunched up, preparing to launch Inuyasha at Kouga to beat him into the fucking ground.
 
Kouga cautiously stood up, the crowd backing away from him nervously as he held his broken jaw. Inuyasha literally saw red, and his fingers felt naked without Kouga's blood covered in them.
 
He was going to cleave that bastard's head from his neck and-
 
Inuyasha Kagome's voice brushed soothingly, painfully across his frenzied mind. Please Inuyasha, no more.
 
The blood receded from his eyes immediately and he jerked up. Kagome! Where are you? He demanded, finally noticing the pain radiating in his side.
 
Kagome's pain.
 
The gold in his eyes glossed over again, focused on the cowardly demon now trying to back away.
 
He would make him pay-
 
INUYASHA! Please! Kagome begged, Inuyasha feeling the slight trickle of the tears running down her face. I need you
 
Inuyasha whined, the bloodlust completely leaving him. He couldn't get his revenge while Kagome was still in danger.
 
Kouga would still be around later if he was still the imbecile Inuyasha remembered him to be.
 
Ripping past Kouga, Inuyasha raced through the crowd, desperately looking for Kagome, her pain a throbbing, horrible ache he could hardly bear.
 
Where, where, where...there.
 
Inuyasha's eyes lit up when he spotted Kagome miserably huddled up against the dirty funny pie stand, the neon lights reflected in the tears streaking down her face and her shaking hands hovering over her ribs.
 
“Mate.” he whined, dropping down next to her.
 
She looked up at him, her eyes slightly unfocused with her pain. His heart clenched so badly Inuyasha was tempted to rip it out just to make the aching pain stop.
 
As gently as possible, Inuyasha laid a hand on her rib, and winced while she cried out. It felt like it had been broken.
 
Inuyasha leaned down and kissed her tears, trying to ease her into his arms without causing her more pain. “Don't worry sweetheart, I've got you.”
 
Kagome looked up at him. It hurts
 
Inuyasha jerked, feeling like Kouga had succeeded in ripping his guts out at her words. I know mate, I feel it to. I'm sorry sweetheart, I promise everything will be alright. Try to relax, I'm taking you home. God damn it, everything WOULD be alright, even if he had to go and personally make sure of it!
 
He couldn't stand it if it wasn't
 
Quickly he stood up and ran at a speed human's couldn't even see his blur, trying to keep the run as smooth as possible for Kagome.
 
He held her close to his chest, nearly insane with rage that his mate had been in danger again. And worse was that he had practically let it happen to her. Damn it, he should have known to be more careful. Never again would she even leave her bedroom without him glued to her side.
 
But what made him even more angry was the realization that no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't NOT care for Kagome.
 
But at the same time, he couldn't forget about Kikyo either.