InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Summon a Mate ❯ November 7 ( Chapter 9 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
Disclaimer- I do not own Inuyasha and I am making no money off this fic.
 
Nov. 7
 
Kagome laid staring up at her ceiling, the dawn's light turning the paint into a strange blue color. Her ribs ached and she was long overdue for her pain pills but the tension in her bedroom left her pressed tight to her bed.
 
Inuyasha leaned against her bed, the top of his silver hair just barely visible out of the corner of her eye. He sat ramrod straight and stared straight ahead. Kagome ached to touch him, but the silence was crushing her.
 
She closed her eyes, and her hand locked into a fist. She should never had asked him about Kikyo. What had happened to her plans to just screw her doubts and enjoy being pampered for the first time since her father's death? But no, instead of sticking with that plan, she just blurted out the stupidest question in the entire world. Christ, what was wrong with her?
 
And now here they both were, wide awake but acknowledging the awkward quiet instead of each other.
 
She stifled a groan, afraid to shatter the silence that surrounded them. When had she even ever heard of Kikyo? It was that damn voice again, its whisper getting louder everyday. It told her more and more when Inuyasha was lying, when Inuyasha was happy, when Inuyasha was staring at her, and now it was telling her his girlfriends' names.
 
What would it take to get it to shut up?
 
BLAREEEEEEEEEEEE BLAREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
 
Kagome jerked while Inuyasha shot to his feet, claws out and fangs bared as the car's alarm when crazy.
 
Kagome cried out and her hand hovered over her rib, the sudden movement causing the pain to flare up again. Inuyasha's head snapped over his shoulder, his golden eyes wide and he scowled at her hand.
 
He growled to himself as he dropped down to his knees and gently pushed her hand away. “Always in trouble.” he grumbled before pulling her large t-shirt up and lowering his mouth to her bruises.
 
Kagome laid still as his tongue stroked over her, a gentle heat spreading through her at his delicate touch. She remembered the way Inuyasha had sucker-punched Kouga and sent him flying. The hand resting so causally on her thigh could easily crush her bones into dust and yet, he was so careful with her. Like she was something precious.
 
Inuyasha pulled away with a small kiss after he had thoroughly coated her skin, leaving her bruises shining in the early morning light. He slowly sat on her bed, trying not to jostle her. She stared up at him, while he stared back, the car alarm finally dying down.
 
“Kikyo was a woman I met before I was imprisoned in the mirror.” Inuyasha said without warning before the quiet could grab them again. “She was a very well-respected miko. Her power and her beauty made her very well known not just in the West, but in the other lands as well. I fell in love with her while she was visiting my brother's court. It wasn't completely unheard of for a demon to find their mate was someone with holy power so I had hoped...” Inuyasha trailed off for a moment, his hand reaching out to touch her hair lightly.
 
“You wanted her to be your mate.” Kagome guessed, ignoring the sudden twisting in her gut.
 
Inuyasha nodded. “I was planning to marry her in the human way but then I was imprisoned. And I never saw her again.”
 
Even with the jealously racking through her, Kagome reached out and softly placed her hand over his. “I'm sorry.”
 
Inuyasha shifted uncomfortably but let his hand rest under hers. “It was a long time ago. But it's not easy to forget.”
 
Kagome's hand tightened over his, “And you shouldn't forget. She was someone you loved dearly, she should always have some of your heart.” her eyes narrowed. “Just not a whole lot of it.”
 
Inuyasha looked down at her, an unreadable expression in his eyes. Before she could blink, his lips were covering hers and he was kissing the tense quiet away like a man possessed. His fangs nipped lightly at her bottom lip, asking for entrance, and he swept into her mouth with a hungry growl. Her hands clutched his shoulders as heat overtook her, nothing like the gentle warm that had spread earlier. If she were any hotter, her bed would be on fire.
 
He broke away reluctantly and settled down next to her. “Go to sleep. You need the rest.” his arm carefully curved around her just under her breasts and he tucked his head close to the crook of her neck.
 
“Inuyasha?”
 
“Hmmm?”
 
“What would you have done when you found me if you had stayed with Kikyo?” she asked, sleepiness starting to overtake her.
 
She felt Inuyasha shrug. “Kikyo was human, so it wouldn't have mattered since you were 500 years in the future. She would have been dead by the time I met you.”
 
Kagome frowned slightly, something nagging at her, but since the voice wasn't being specific, she ignored it. “You couldn't have known that then though.”
 
“I would have tried to ignore you, but mate, I don't think it would have worked.” Inuyasha snuggled closer. “Go to sleep now.”
 
Kagome allowed her eyes to drift close, the awkward silence gone.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------
 
The scrolls and ancient books lay in a messy pile at Miroku's feet, temporarily abandoned while he typed furiously on the laptop resting on his knees.
 
ChurchMan007-
 
How do you heal a sick demonic mate who spent to much time in binding prayer beads?
 
Miroku pressed enter to shot his question off to the rest of the Yahoo! group he belonged to before switching tabs back over to the demonpedia website.
 
Keeping an eye on Sango while clicking around the website, he typed Hiraikotsu into the Weapon search engine, the machine humming as it worked on his request.
 
He took a small ladle and poured cold water over Sango's white forehead, the water turning into steam almost immediately on contact. He had given up on washcloth after the last one had burst into flames.
 
He checked on the fire ward he had placed on his bed, happy to see it was still preventing fire to break out.
 
He looked back at the computer screen and nearly fell out of his seat when a picture of a large boomerang filled the webpage.
 
Eagerly, he scrolled down, praying he had finally found Sango's old weapon.
 
The Hiraikotsu is a large boomerang made from demon bones. Boomerangs were an unpopular, but well-respected, weapon because of the amount of skill it took for a warrior to wield one. The demonslayer tribes were well noted for their use of such a weapon, but few warriors were ever able to use the boomerang competently. The most famous boomerang wielder was a woman demonslayer who went on to become Midoriko's guard before disappearing mysteriously. Her boomerang, the Hiraikotsu is one of her few remaining weapons.
 
Miroku nearly pumped the air. This woman demonslayer must be Sango. He had to get this boomerang for her. Maybe it would go a long way in repairing their relationship.
 
If she survived.
 
He hadn't been able to find anything in his scrolls, his only hope was in the demons and their mates who belonged to the Demonic Life Yahoo! group. He didn't know what he would do if one of them didn't have an answer.
 
Sighing, he turned back to demonpedia, trying to find something interesting to distract him.
 
He scrolled down, interested in related links, and his eyebrows went up when two names popped out at him.
 
Naraku
 
Kikyo
 
He vaguely remembered Kikyo as being a great miko of the time, and Naraku was one of the original fallen angels. What could they have to do with Sango?
 
Checking on Sango's deathly still form again, he clicked on the blue Naraku link.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------
 
““You have betrayed me.” Inuyasha announced in a solemn voice. “You told me you would love no other, you told me I could trust you, and then I find you in the arms of him.”
 
“Dantos, how dare you accuse me, how dare you condemn me?” Inuyasha continued in a shrill voice. “I was only hugging Julius while you were in bed with Sofia.”
 
“You know nothing.”
 
“No? I know I will never love you again after this!” Ellen spun on her heel and stalked towards the door before she was abruptly halted by Santo's hand on her elbow.
 
“No Ellen, no. Don't do that. Don't stop loving me.”“
 
Kagome watched spellbound at Inuyasha while he paced, reading aloud from the slim book in his hands. His free arm shot out, moving around wildly as he read from The Greek Tycoons Forced Mistress. She had suggested he read aloud from her favorite Harlequin books as a joke, she never believed he would actually do it for her.
 
Inuyasha stopped and looked at her, “Are you still paying attention? I'm not reading this for myself, you know.”
 
Kagome forced herself to stop staring at his lips, “Of course I am Inuyasha. You're reading beautifully.” she said, her gaze returning to his mouth.
 
Inuyasha rolled his eyes, “Feh. Anyway, Santos blah, blah, blah and then looked down at her before saying, “You are not-“
 
“Hey! What the heck is the blah, blah, blah?” Kagome interrupted.
 
“That was when you weren't paying attention.”
 
Kagome frowned. “It couldn't have been. You were just talking about Santos begging Ellen to keep loving him.”
 
A small red flush covered his cheeks. “That was the blah, blah, blah.”
 
Kagome studied him, “I bet it wasn't.”
 
“Feh. Bet whatever you want, I'm the one with the book.” He teasingly waved it in front of her face as she glared, knowing it would hurt to try to grab it. But ooooooo was he paying when she could move!
 
Kagome waved a hand, “Get on with it.”
 
Inuyasha paused a moment, wondering if that had been an order he should ignore, before deciding he really wanted to see what would happen to Ellen and Santos. He cleared his throat, “`You are not leaving me Ellen! I won't let you, can't let you-“ Inuyasha stopped in mid-sentence, nose twitching when a horrible stench hit him.
 
Kagome frowned, “Inuyasha? Is something wrong?”
 
Inuyasha froze, the scent getting stronger.
 
Kouga held his hands up as he strolled through the door, “Please muttface, don't let me stop you. The story was just gettin' good.”
 
With a snarl, Inuyasha launched himself at Kouga, his eyes tainted red as he pinned him by the neck to the wall. “You.
 
“Me.” Kouga wheezed without batting an eyelash. “I come in peace asshole. I just wanted to talk, but you haven't left this damn house in almost two days.”
 
Inuyasha growled, his eyes growing darker at the spike of fear in Kagome's scent. “Mistake.” he barked, his demon side screaming at him to rip Kouga apart for daring to come into his injured mate's room.
 
Kouga panted, eyeing Inuyasha's claws as they pressed dangerously close to his throat. “C'mon dummy, you don't want to kill me in front of her.”
 
Inuyasha looked over at the closed window, debating between throwing him through the glass and dragging him by his hair out the door downstairs.
 
“Let him talk Inuyasha. I want to hear what he has to say.” Kagome requested. “You can always kill him later.”
 
Inuyasha hands tightened slightly, before giving into his mates wish and letting him go. For now. He took a step back so he was in front of Kagome, claws out and mind firmly guarded so if there was a fight, she couldn't get hurt again.
 
Kouga straightened out his shirt and smoothed a hand down his hair, fixing any damage the tussle had caused to it. He bowed slightly in Kagome's direction. “Thank you Lady.”
 
Inuyasha bared his teeth, “You wanted to talk, so talk.”
 
Kouga perched on Kagome's desk, and ignored Inuyasha's quiet growl. “I wanted to apologize first. For the insult and the injury towards your mate.” he bowed again. “If I had known you would have been so stupid as to mind-meld with her during our fight, I would have gone more easy on you.”
 
The Spaniard's Virgin Conquest went sailing past Inuyasha and hit Kouga squarely in the head before Inuyasha could move a muscle. “I was the one who mind-melded with Inuyasha, moron.” Kagome snapped. “And you were just lucky Inuyasha went so easy on you, otherwise you'd be holed up in a hospital room somewhere, crying like a baby.”
 
Kouga stared at her, mouth gaping open and eyes wide, his nose slightly red from where the book had hit him. “...Did you just...I mean...Spaniard?...”
 
“Get on with it.” she ordered, tempted to just set Inuyasha lose on him.
 
Kouga's mouth wavered for a moment before he firmly closed it and turned back to Inuyasha. “I've been thinking, and I want to know, what the hell do you mean when you say you didn't betray anyone?”
 
“What do you think it means? It's exactly how it sounds! I. Didn't. Betray. Anyone. I don't know what the hell you're talking about.” Inuyasha shot back.
 
Kouga rubbed his nose before raising an eyebrow. “That's not what I heard.”
 
“Then why don't you explain what you heard? Because as far as Inuyasha and I are concerned, he was imprisoned unfairly.” Kagome said, fingering another book.
 
Kouga looked annoyed, “When did your mate become your mouthpiece? Don't throw that at me!” he held his hands up when Kagome lifted another book.
 
He settled his hands on the desk when she put the book down. “Well, since you're so intent on denying it, mutt face...” He shifted, trying to get more comfortable on the desk before starting. “500 years ago we were told by Midoriko and Lady Kikyo you had tried to steal some vital objects from your brother's coffers, some magical object that could put the entire demon and human races in danger. Worst yet, you didn't even try to steal it yourself, you used Lady Kikyo to take it. For your crimes, Midoriko sealed you into a mirror that could only be unsealed by a descendent of Midoriko.”
 
Inuyasha stared at Kouga. “And you believed that? Damn it, I thought you knew me better then that Kouga.”
 
Kouga kept his head up though his neck was beginning to flush. “I believe it, because it's true. And after Kikyo traveled all over the place whining about what happened, hell, even your brother started to believe it and let Midoriko's punishment stand.”
 
Inuyasha jerked slightly, though only Kagome saw it. “That's such fucking bullshit. I would never betray Kikyo or my brother. And just what the hell is this `magical object' I stole?”
 
“Midoriko or Kikyo never got to specific. But the demons have always thought it was the jewel.”
 
Inuyasha's back stiffened. “You idiot. There is no jewel anymore.”
 
Kouga rolled his eyes. “No, you're the idiot. Sesshomaru and Midoriko could have harped all they wanted to on how they had destroyed it, but we knew better. There's never been a doubt in my mind the jewel still exists.”
 
Kagome waved a hand, “Hey, ignorant human over here. What's so special about a jewel?”
 
Kouga tuted condescendingly. “Haven't explain our history to her yet mutt-face?”
 
Inuyasha flipped him off, “The jewel is more like a vessel mate. It held the worst demon in the world before it was finally destroyed.
 
Kouga snorted, “Crawl out from under the rock dumbass. Naraku's to powerful to be killed. That's why your brother had that fancy underground, super secret, guarded by Midoriko and the top demonslayer, treasury built. It was to hide the jewel, not because the West was so rich under your brother he needed `the extra vaults'.”
 
“Naraku?” Kagome questioned innocently like she had never heard the name before it could turn into a full-scale fight.
 
Kouga shook his head, “The closest thing to the devil that exists, Lady. He was so bad, Lord Sesshomaru had him placed into a jewel because he was to strong to kill. And don't believe Inuyasha, it's out there.”
 
“It is not. Sess told me himself he had finally figured out how to kill him, so he did.”
 
“Your brother lied.” Kouga said slowly like he was talking to an idiot. “And you still haven't convinced me you didn't do anything.”
 
Inuyasha's muscles bunched up. “Of course I didn't. As far as I know, I was imprisoned because Midoriko was jealous of me-“
 
“Wait, wait, wait, say that again? Jealous of you? HAH!” Kouga erupted into full-scale laughing. “That's a good one mutt-face, hahahahaaaaaaaaaa. Where did you hear that one from? Ow! Cool it with the books!”
 
“I could still hear in the mirror.” Inuyasha snapped, “That was the only theory I ever heard.” he admitted.
 
“Must have been the punch line to a joke...” Kouga said thoughtfully.
 
“Well, he must have been set up! Inuyasha would never do anything like you're suggesting.” Kagome interrupted Kouga's chuckling. “How was Inuyasha decided guilty anyway?”
 
Kouga shrugged, “By Midoriko's word. Down in Lord Sesshomaru's treasury, and really, anywhere else for that matter, she was judge, jury, and executioner.”
 
Kagome's mouth fell open. “That's how you all decided Inuyasha was a traitor? One woman's opinion?!?”
 
Kouga fidgeted nervously, “Well, it was Lady Kikyo too...”
 
“Don't you even think about suggesting Kikyo had something to do with this. We loved each other, If she had anything to say against me, it was forced.” Inuyasha defended.
 
Kouga looked frustrated, “They were both mikos-“
 
“I demand a re-trial.” Kagome announced, glaring at Kouga, not noting his and Inuyasha's mouth dropping. “Inuyasha was unfairly punished for 500 years, his reputation ruined, and he couldn't marry the woman he loved. I can't do anything about the other two things, but damn it, I'm going to make sure his name is cleared!”
 
Inuyasha blinked. “Mate...”
 
Kagome held up a hand. “Don't stop me Inuyasha. I know you would never betray anyone the way this idiot is talking about, and I'm going to make sure everyone else knows it to.”
 
Kouga was speechless for a moment, before he nearly giggled with glee and rubbed his hands together. “Oh man, does this sound like fun. I have a few connections, I'll get right on setting up a trial date.” he jumped to his feet as Inuyasha stood as still as a statue, completely shocked. “Hey, if I come back with the details, will you pin me to the wall again?”
 
“Yes.” Inuyasha growled.
 
Kouga thought for a moment. “Then I guess I'm sending a letter.” he headed for the door, whistling. He paused before looking over his shoulder. “I'm not saying I believe you...but I hope you win Yash.”
 
Inuyasha managed a small nod of acknowledgment before Kouga left, the only indication he had ever been there were the two small paperback books lying on the floor.
 
Kagome shook her head in disgust. “Unbelievable. What an idiot. How could your friend think that badly of you? You should have hit him harder Inuyasha.”
 
Inuyasha looked at her for a moment, and then in the next he was crouched on all fours above her, staring at her intently. “You stood up for me.” he breathed.
 
“Duh. Did you expect any less? We both know you couldn't have done this, so we're going to find out who set you up and why.” she paused for a moment. “Or move to an island that has no demons on it. The warm weather would be nice.” she mused.
 
He licked his lips. “You are so incredibly lucky you're hurt right now.” he leaned forward to press a gentle kiss on her lips, though she had the feeling he was just barely holding himself back. “I promise I'll make up for it later.”
 
Kagome looked at him, her lips humming from where they had touched his. “Are you shocked?” she asked, surprised herself.
 
He slowly nodded. “No one has ever stood up for me before. Or liked my ears. Or cooked me breakfast and wasn't paid to do so.” he trailed off, still studying her face like he wanted to memorize every angle.
 
Kagome reached out to cup his cheek. “You're my mate, and I think of you as a friend Inuyasha.” she grinned suddenly, “Defending you seems like second nature to me.”
 
Inuyasha laughed softly and rested his head against her forehead. “Same here sweetheart.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------
 
Miroku typed up his notes, making a mental note to print them out for Kagome and Inuyasha. He had a feeling they would find them as interesting as he had.
 
Well Kagome would anyway. Inuyasha might try to take his head off. Again.
 
Miroku looked at his mate, helplessness sweeping over him. She was so weak. Her chest hardly moved and heat fumes were rising from her body, making the air above her hazy.
 
He raked his hands through his hair again, mussing his black locks. He didn't know what to do...
 
He laced his hands together and rested his chin on them, but didn't close his eyes like he normally would have. Instead, he kept staring at Sango.
 
“Dear God.” He began. “Please forgive me. I've ruined the gift you sent me. I didn't understand her and I...I did a lot of unforgivable things. But please Lord, don't take her back. Please, I promise I'll fix things. I'll make her happy. Just heal her. Please God, give me another chance.” he begged, his fingers tightening, “Or at the very least...let me hold her, for the first and the last time. Don't let her die feeling like she was unloved.”
 
He waited a moment, the silence crushing him. He sighed and let his hands fall apart. He needed to get more water for Sango's-
 
His laptop suddenly beeped and his notes were minimized. Slowly, he settled the laptop back in his lap, noticing his Yahoo! group page was loading.
 
His brow furrowed. He had already checked the website twenty times tonight and hadn't gotten an answer. He had finally given up and turned back to reviewing his scrolls and texts a third time.
 
The website sprang up and his heart leapt when he saw one new message.
 
WorseWitchoftheWest:
 
You stupid idiot. You should have read the updated version of the mate handbook. You're gonna need a miko to heal her. And soon. Duhhhhhhhhhh.
Freaking moron. The book is there for a reason, Einstein!!!
And here's a link on demonpedia for the miko on instructions to heal your demon since most mates aren't stupid enough to nearly kill them with binding prayer beads. You're lucky I had time to type it up fast.
Now hurry up and find one. Don't think I won't lose any sleep sending the demonslayers after an imbecile like you. IDIOT!!!!
 
Miroku reread the text, hope filling him. He could save Sango!!!!
 
He just needed Kagome to do it.