InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Summon a Mate ❯ November 8: 1:30 am ( Chapter 10 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer- I do not own Inuyasha and I am making no money off this fic.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------
 
Nov. 8
1:30 am
 
Miroku ignored the blinking clock telling him it was only 1:30 in the morning as he yanked on a black sweatshirt, black jeans and a black hat. The Miko Directory was still loading on demonpedia, so he felt around under his bed to find his sneakers, sweating slightly from being so close to Sango.
 
He scrolled down the list of names, searching for one that said Kagome as he cursed himself for never learning her last name. He was grateful whoever complied this list did so without the miko's permission or even knowledge.
 
Personally, he was interested in how they even knew these women were miko's, but he could think about it later.
 
He nearly shouted in jubilation when Kagome's name popped up and he hurriedly scrabbled her address down on his palm.
 
He knew it was late and she was probably sleeping and this was going to make his attempted murder by Inuyasha so much more likely, but he had to go now. He didn't know how much longer Sango could wait.
 
He stopped next to Sango, her skin blending in with the white sheets. His heart clenched and taking a deep breath, he reached out to clasp her burning hot hand with his own.
 
“Sango,” Miroku gasped out painfully. “Listen to me. I'm sorry for everything I've ever done to you, but you have to hold on. Do you hear me? I want to give us a second chance, but that can't happen if you're dead. Please Sango, live. If not for me, then for yourself. I promise I'm leaving to get help, and I'll be back as soon as possible.” his hand tightened on hers. “And if anything...you won't be alone Sango, I swear it.”
 
He reluctantly let go of her hand, his skin blistering painfully, but as he did so, he would have sworn her own hand tightened a fraction in return.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------
 
Kagome laid in bed, Inuyasha curled up against her, her eyes wide open and staring up at the ceiling. Even in the dark, she was able to make out a thin crack that would have to be repaired soon.
 
Inuyasha grumbled slightly and shifted. “I know you're still awake mate. Go to sleep.”
 
Kagome's gritted her teeth. “I can't. That stupid wolf and all of your stupid demon people have got me so freaking pissed.” She snarled.
 
Carefully throwing her hand over Inuyasha's body, she groped around on the night stand until her fingers found the lamp switch. Inuyasha pressed his face into the sheets as she struggled to sit up slightly, her ribs aching. “Mate. That isn't sleeping.”
 
“Nope.” Her hand found the drawer and slid it open, quickly finding the pad of paper and pen inside. “This is planning.
 
She clicked the pen, leaning against her headboard, ready for a serious writing session while Inuyasha rolled over onto his back when he had the sense neither of them were about to sleep.
 
“Ok, first of all we're going to need some kind of demon lawyer or a demon's mate who's a lawyer or some variation. Do you know any who might represent you?” Kagome asked, scribbling on the pad of paper.
 
Inuyasha yawned and scooted down to rest his head on her thigh, his hands laced together loosely over his bare stomach. “In my day we settled conflict by trying to kill the other person. I'm not sure what the procedure is anymore.”
 
Kagome laughed, “Good way to show your age gramps.”
 
Inuyasha opened his eyes enough to look up at her, “What?” he asked, not understanding the joke.
 
Kagome sighed, “Nevermind.” she put a question mark next to number one. “Where were you the day you were imprisoned?”
 
“In the treasury.” he rolled his eyes when she froze. “I took Kikyo down there. She wanted to look at some old religious artifact; I needed to pick out a ring.” Inuyasha scowled suddenly. “I wanted to bring Kouga to but the bastard refused to go, then Sango started nagging at me again-“
 
“Stop.” Kagome interrupted. “I'm really confused now.”
 
Inuyasha sighed in impatience. “I wanted their help in choosing a stone. Sango's a woman, and Kouga was a womanizer so I thought they could be useful. But they...” he frowned. “I don't know what their problem was. Kouga said something about waiting for my mate and Sango I think was just insane-“
 
“Ok, still confused. Were you friends with Sango?” Kagome idly drew a spiral in one corner as she waited for Inuyasha to answer.
 
Inuyasha hesitated. “We...talked.” he admitted. “She was one of the strongest demonslayers alive so Midoriko chose her to become her successor in guarding my brother's treasury.”
 
“Losing me again. What's a demonslayer?” Kagome asked, remembering that term had been used in the Hand Book as well.
 
“Like your police. They keep order between the demons and the humans and they tend to be a neutral party. Did I answer everything yet?”
 
Kagome looked up from where she was writing her notes. “Why are they called demonslayers? It doesn't make much sense since Sango is a demon herself.”
 
“Sango wasn't always a demon, mate.” Inuyasha said, his eyes drifting closed again, a thoughtful frown on his lips. “She was completely human when I was imprisoned.”
 
The pen slipped out of Kagome's fingers. “Seriously? But how? Is that even possible to change what you are?”
 
Inuyasha shrugged. “I don't know how it happened. I haven't exactly had the chance to ask her.” he added crossly.
 
“Weird.” Kagome muttered, picking up her pen again. “So what happened anyway while you were in the treasury?”
 
“I was looking at rings, and then out of nowhere, I was sucked into the mirror.” Inuyasha explained.
 
“That's it? You weren't even given a reason?” Kagome gasped, outraged.
 
“That's it.” Inuyasha looked up at her, scowling. “Stop writing like that before you hurt yourself again.”
 
“Demons are such idiots.” Kagome hissed, grasping her pen harder.
 
Feh. Lift up your shirt mate.” Inuyasha crawled up the bed, wanting to lave Kagome's side again. She seemed to be healing faster because of it.
 
And it was just fun for him.
 
Kagome closed her eyes as Inuyasha studied her bruises before bending his head down. “There has to be a way to prove you didn't do it.” she mused.
 
“We'll think of something.” Inuyasha said against her skin, confused by the warm feeling that suddenly bloomed in his chest. He liked that, using terms like `we' with her.
 
Kagome sighed in relief as Inuyasha worked his magic on her aches. “Today we should watch CSI reruns.” she decided suddenly.
 
Inuyasha paused. “What?”
 
“Maybe we'll get ideas for how to prove your case. Oooo or maybe, we can prove there's no way to prove you tried to steal the jewel thing.”
 
Inuyasha decided not to ask and resumed, his silver hair brushing over her skin tenderly as he worked.
 
He froze as a familiar scent reached his nose.
 
Kagome settled a hand on his head. “Did Kouga come back?” she asked, recognizing his stillness.
 
Inuyasha bared his teeth as he slipped from the bed, the pajama bottoms Kagome had found for him riding low on his hips. “Worse.” he growled as he stalked towards the window. Crouching down, he heaved himself over the still to land gracefully down in front of Miroku.
 
Miroku nearly jumped out of his skin from the sudden shock of Inuyasha's appearance before becoming aware of his snarling.
 
“What. The. Fuck. Are. You. Doing. Here?” Inuyasha gritted out, his claws finding their way to the vulnerable skin of Miroku's neck.
 
...click...
 
Miroku lowered his gaze respectfully though the rest of him remained perfectly still under Inuyasha's hand. “I've come to apologize for what happened in the courtyard. I did not think Sango would...react that way.”
 
Inuyasha's claws pressed more closely into Miroku's skin, threatening to rip his neck apart. “You came here now to tell me this? Try again asshole.”
 
Miroku didn't dare swallow even though this mouth was bone dry. “Very well. I'm here to request for Lady Kagome's help.”
 
“You've got to be out of your fu-“
 
“Sango's deadly ill.” Miroku interrupted with no thought to his own safety or the way Inuyasha's eyes narrowed. “If we don't hurry, she'll die. I believe Kagome can help her somehow.”
 
Inuyasha eyed him suspiciously. “And just how to you expect my mate to help? She's no doctor.”
 
Irritation crossed Miroku's face before he could stop it. “I don't need a doctor. I need a miko.”
 
Inuyasha waved his free hand, “So what the hell are you doing here?”
 
Miroku stared at him, wondering if he was serious. “Kagome is a miko. She can heal Sango.” he said slowly.
 
Inuyasha scowled. “No, she's not.”
 
Miroku frowned back. “Of course she is. I sensed her holy power from the first moment we met. She's also a descendent of Midoriko. Granted, she may not be very strong, but it's there.”
 
I am? Kagome asked, completely stunned.
 
Inuyasha jumped, nearly slicing Miroku's jugular open. When did you get here?
 
Shut up and let him talk Inuyasha.
 
“I am begging you.” Miroku continued. “Help my mate. Don't let her die.”
 
Let's do it. Kagome decided firmly.
 
What? Are you out of your mind to?!? Your rib is broken! And I don't know about this miko crap. Shouldn't we have known you were one long before this loser showed up?
 
Inuyasha, his mate is going to die unless we do something! She was your friend, you can't leave her now!
 
Kagome, you're fucking hurt and there's no way in hell I'm letting you get hurt even worse. So hell yes I can.
 
Inuyashaaaaaaa Kagome warned. You will come up and get me this minute, and we are going to follow Miroku to wherever Sango is, and we will do whatever we can to help!
 
Feh. I don't like this. Inuyasha said stubbornly.
 
Kagome sighed sadly. I guess this means you really can't protect me from everything.
 
Inuyasha eyes flashed red. What? He snarled, not noticing Miroku's wince when his nails dug in harder.
 
He felt Kagome shrug, Well you just seem really insecure of your ability to protect me. I mean come on Inuyasha, Miroku is just a human. Does he scare you that much?
 
Inuyasha gnashed his teeth together as he yanked his claws away from Miroku's neck to bound up the window. “Damn woman.” he growled, his hackles rising with her self-satisfied grin.
 
He was still muttering as he carefully worked her shirt back down to cover her stomach “Don't lift your arms.” he ordered gruffly, starting to realize he may have been manipulated.
 
“This is fucking insane.” he grumbled as he gently picked her up. “You've been a miko for less then a minute, what are you supposed to do?”
 
Kagome rested her head against his shoulder as he headed for the window and jumped down, making sure to land softly while she was in his arms.
 
Miroku bowed as Kagome clung to Inuyasha, the landing rattling her ribs again. “I can not tell you how-“
 
“Yeah, yeah, I don't have all night; Kagome's brother needs to be in school by nine.” Inuyasha interrupted. “Catch up if you can.” he challenged before running off, tracking Miroku's scent as he cradled Kagome securely in his arms.
 
Miroku sighed and set off to follow.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------
 
Miroku led them through his home, still panting, as Inuyasha trailed behind, refusing to set Kagome down just yet.
 
“She's in here.” Miroku stopped, but hesitated with his hand on the door. “Inuyasha, she's very ill. I would appreciate if you didn't fight with her.”
 
“Feh. Out of the way.” he ordered, pushing past him to shove the door open with his foot.
 
Inuyasha! Kagome reprimanded, but any fears she had of him attacking Sango faded when the door swung open.
 
Sango laid completely still on the bed, sweat shining brightly on her white body. She didn't even have the flush a fever gave. Her chest hardly moved and only her lips quivered as she shallowly breathed. She looked like a living ghost.
 
Kagome gasped, but finally had something to focus on other than the sudden throbbing in her side. “What happened to her?”
 
Miroku didn't meet her eyes as he clicked rapidly on his laptop's keyboard. “It was my fault. I kept her to long in the binding prayer beads. And she was weak already. This isn't...this wasn't the first time.”
 
Inuyasha stared at him in disgust. “You fucking bastard.” he snarled, “I should gut you from where you stand.”
 
“Do whatever you like once Sango is saved.” Miroku stared up, determination lighting his eyes up. “I won't care as long as she is safe.”
 
“Feh. Now he cares.”
 
Miroku ignored him as he turned the laptop around, displaying a webpage. “These are instructions on how to save her.”
 
Miroku rested it on the bed as Inuyasha kneeled down, supporting Kagome against him. “Don't get your hopes up Miroku.” she warned. “I'm still not sure how I'm a miko.”
 
“Just try, please.” he begged.
 
Kagome sighed, squirming slightly as she became more aware of the heat Sango was giving off before turning her attention to the article.
 
How to Save a Demon Mate Some Freaking Moron Nearly Killed Because They Were Being A Binding-Prayer-Happy Freak
 
DISCLAIMER- Don't you dare blame me if your mate dies even after a miko follows these instructions. The last time a mate was so stupid as to nearly kill their demon was when...well I wasn't alive. So most miko's, even the most experienced ones get this procedure wrong from lack of practice and/or knowledge of just how to do this. So don't come crying to me if your mate dies after all this. Actually, come on over, it'll be easier to sic the demonslayers on you.
 
Step 1: Hit the stupid mate who put you and his/her demon in this position. A nice slap upside the head should do the trick.
 
The purpose of binding prayer beads is to `bind' a demon's physical, mental and emotional state down. While in the beads, they are `compressed' in order to be contained within the binding, something very painful to the demon. In other words, you have to enter the mental state of the demon, and clean the dirty stuff. Don't worry, it's much harder then it sounds. Which leads us to-
 
Step 2: Enter the demons brain. Put one hand on his/her forehead and force yourself inside. You'll get what I mean, don't worry.
 
Step 3: Clean the ugly junk out. It's like cleaning a window. Just avoid the fire and any possible axe-murderers. ...don't ask. Just do.
 
Step 4: Unless you're his/her mate, the demon might try to attack you, but I doubt he/she'll be strong enough to do any major damage. And anyway, it makes it much more interesting!
 
Step 5: Leave only when you are sure you've healed the demon and imagine yourself rising out of the body.
 
Step 6: Slap moron again. Collect the paycheck you better have demanded.
 
Good luck and I really hope you don't die. The stupid mate however...well tell them they can jump off a cliff for all I care.
 
Slap
 
Kagome rolled her eyes, “I don't think it was meant literally Inuyasha.”
 
“Of course it does, it says so twice, see?” Inuyasha helpfully pointed out as Miroku rubbed the back of his head. “So how much money are we getting?”
 
“Anything, I'll give you everything I own.” Miroku swore. “Just save her.”
 
Kagome nibbled on her lip, still studying the steps. “How does this miko thing work anyway?” she asked Miroku out of curiosity.
 
Miroku looked surprised. “You truly didn't know you are a miko?”
 
“I still don't believe you.” Inuyasha muttered.
 
Miroku untangled his hand from his hair as he perched on the bed next to Sango, pulling at his collar. “Call it. There is a kernel of power waiting to be unleashed by you. It should be easily found as it could be fairly large by now.”
 
Kagome shook her head, “I don't understand what you mean. Call it?”
 
Miroku nodded, “The power is yours, and its there for your use. It's been left alone for so long, it should come to you quickly.”
 
Inuyasha tightened his grip on Kagome. “I don't know about this mate. What do we do if something goes wrong and we get stuck in her head or something?”
 
“Inuyasha, you read the instructions.” Kagome told him as she reached forward, her hand hovering over Sango's hot forehead. “I don't think this is something you can go with me.”
 
“Then how the hell am I supposed to protect you?” Inuyasha barked.
 
Kagome turned her head fast to kiss Inuyasha's cheek absently as she closed her eyes. “So is there a way to call it? Like, `miko power ignite?'”
 
Kagome gasped as a sudden heat overtook her that wasn't the cause of Inuyasha for once. Her stomach quivered and her fingers tingled as a strange roaring started up inside her.
 
“Mate? What's happening?” Inuyasha demanded.
 
“She called her power. It doesn't need to be that complicated however. A simple `come' will do.” Miroku noted.
 
Kagome threw her head back against Inuyasha's shoulder as waves of tremors hit her. Something was building up deep in the pit of her stomach. Trying to burst free.
 
Pop
 
Kagome shot up, gasping in pleasure, as she felt her power break loose of the self-contained bubble she had kept it in for so long. The white-hot bolts of it pin-balled back and forth from every corner of her body, running free after being trapped.
 
She felt her power settle over her ribs as its light leaked through her skin, causing her to shine like a pink neon light.
 
“I'll consider this your payment Miroku.” Kagome told him as she reached her hand out towards Sango.
 
“Kagome-“ Inuyasha started to say, his own hand trying to grab hers, but the rest of his words were drowned out by the rushing of her power, moving her along as she touched Sango, spiraling down.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------
 
Smoke teased Kagome's senses, while fire licked at her skin. Kagome yelped and jumped away without feeling the flames brush as her power's glow brightened, shielding her.
 
Looking around for the first time, she understood what the instructions had meant when they said `Avoid the fire'.
 
She was in an ancient village overrun by flames. Smoke filled the air over the crackling of the fire, further dirtying the gray sky. A few huts stood untouched by the inferno, but the rest of the village looked like it was about to collapse.
 
But strangely enough, there were people still here. And the villagers gave no notice their homes were burning down. They were still walking, talking, training-
 
Training. Kagome watched as young children practiced swordplay on wooden dummies. This must be Sango's demonslayer village. But why weren't they responding to the flames or to her? Because this was only a memory?
 
She pushed her sleeves up resolutely and threw her hair over her shoulder, deciding to worry about it later. Hopefully Sango wouldn't try to kill her again so she would be free to ask her about it.
 
She faced one of the burning huts as the owners inside ate breakfast, completely unaware of the fire.
 
The instructions had said she needed to clean `dirty junk' but it had said nothing about fire like this. Kagome had a feeling Sango might be the exception to the rule.
 
Feeling slightly stupid, Kagome held her arms out and focused on the newly freed power swirling around inside her. “Show me how.” she asked, watching the flames through half-lidded eyes.
 
Her fingers tingled again as power shot out of the tips like a wave, rolling towards the hut in a large pink stream. It engulfed the hut and trapped the flames. Kagome could see the orange strands struggling under the pink barrier before it was finally put out.
 
Kagome blinked as the family continued to enjoy their meal, their home completely standing and whole, as if it had never been on fire. And since this was Sango's mind, technically, it hadn't been.
 
Kagome shrugged away the logistics. At least it was easy. Really, why had the instructions made it seem like this was so hard?
 
Whirllllllllll
 
Kagome's power tripped her, forcing her to the ground as an insanely large boomerang whirled at over, nearly brushing her head as she hit the dirt.
 
Kagome stared in shock as Sango calmly caught the boomerang, clad in a skin-tight black leather cat suit.
 
She smirked coldly. “Where's your demon now?”
 
As Kagome got up to run, she realized she had maybe spoken to soon.