InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Summon a Mate ❯ November 8: 3:00am ( Chapter 11 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
Disclaimer- I do not own Inuyasha and I am not making any money off this fic.
 
Nov 8
3:00 am
 
The last thing Kagome had ever expected, besides becoming a demon mate, getting attacked by the same crazy woman twice in a week or finding out she was a miko, was ever having a reason to thank her sadistic track coach.
 
Kagome's shoes pounded into the ground, her hair flying behind her as she rapidly offered up every prayer she could think of to the woman who had made her life a living hell while on the team.
 
Her feet pumped faster as Sango's boomerang caught the back of her shirt, ripping a large hole into it as the boomerang spun back to its owner. Never had she thought that her fiendish coach and all the late night torture sessions would be the reason her spine was still in one piece.
 
Thank God that woman taught her how to run. Kagome didn't glance back as she weaved in and out between huts and villagers, setting aside thoughts of her devil-coach for a plan on how to get out of this mess.
 
Whriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiil
 
Kagome yelped and dove onto her stomach as the boomerang twirled where her head had formally been before crashing into a burning hut, the ends sticking out of the wall almost comically.
 
“Think, think, think.” she chanted to herself as she struggled to get back up, her heart thumping at a million miles per hour while she forced herself to keep running. She was so tempted to just go, to escape and abandon Sango to her fate, but she knew it would haunt her forever if she left Sango to die.
 
...even if Sango was hell-bent on attacking her.
 
Kagome gasped when a dagger went sailing past her cheek, leaving a faint stinging line as it buried itself into a hut. Kagome scowled, starting to feel like prey who was just being toyed with.
 
But really, what were her options? Sango was one of the strongest demonslayers ever and she was a sixteen year old girl who had been a miko for less then an hour. The odds weren't exactly in her favor.
 
She cried out when a dagger aimed at her heel sent her crashing towards the ground, her barrier softening the blow enough that it would only leave a bad bruise. She looked over her shoulder, ankle in hand, as Sango slowly advanced closer, her boomerang back in her grasp.
 
“Please, I'm trying to help.” Kagome panted, her bone throbbing.
 
Sango didn't say a word as her black boots took careful, measured steps, bringing her closer to Kagome.
 
Kagome closed her eyes for a moment, trying to catch her breath. Her power ran hot in her veins, shaking her center as if to remind her it was still there.
 
Call it Miroku's instructions echoed around her head as Sango stopped walking, her gaze cold. The power is yours
 
Sango balanced the boomerang on the ground and against her side as she slowly, almost sadistically, showed Kagome more mini daggers clutched in her hand. The blades glinted brightly despite the lack of sunlight, and Kagome would bet anything they were sharp enough to spilt a hair.
 
Her skin tingled and the pink glow around her darkened as Kagome took a deep breath, “Come.” she ordered softly, hearing a low roaring in her head while her frantic heart beat calmed. “Come and help me. But please don't hurt her.”
 
Gleefully, her power reared up and surged out through her skin, circling her like floating rose petals. Kagome sighed as a portion of her power rested down over her shoulders, comforting her while the remainder spun faster until Kagome was in the middle of a pink, petal-strewn twister. Her power chuckled, the sound vibrating through Kagome pleasantly before it shot off in different directions.
 
Her power hit Sango directly in the chest, the rose petals forcing Sango down onto the dirt, pinning her safely to the ground.
 
“Put out the fires.” Kagome said, her power moving over her comfortably, as more petals settled over the tall orange and red flames eating the wooden huts.
 
The flames sputtered under her power and Sango laid quietly, petals perched on her chest as she turned her head and studied Kagome, an unreadable look in her eyes.
 
There were fires still burning when the village wavered, the huts, people and animals suddenly flickering. Kagome stared while her power hugged her, reminding her of Inuyasha for a moment as the village disappeared, leaving only Sango, Kagome and the fire in a rapidly blurred landscape.
 
“You didn't harm me.” Sango suddenly spoke up, Kagome's power still pinning her down on a background of hurried colors, sounds, and movements as the demonslayer continued to stare at her. “You should have hurt me, but you didn't.” Sango sounded slightly puzzled.
 
Kagome sighed, leaning back against her power. “I didn't have a reason to.”
 
“Neither did I really, but I still attacked you.” Sango noted, frowning thoughtfully. She shook her head, her long hair shaking with the movement. “You need to see something.”
 
The hazy colors and pictures finally stopped and slowly bled together until Sango and Kagome were in a large stone room, gold, jewels and other treasures spilled in big piles that the fires feasted on, Kagome's powers still struggling to put them out.
 
Sango nodded her head forward a bit, “Watch.”
 
Kagome craned her neck back, her power fluttering gently around her like waves lapping against her skin at the beach.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------
 
Inuyasha kneeled beside Kagome's prone form, his face scrunched up in concentration, and his eyes sealed shut as his fists opened and closed on his knees in frustration, wishing for something to tear into.
 
His eyes suddenly flared open, spearing Miroku to the bed with his glare. “God fucking damn it! I can't mind meld with her!” he cursed, his anger hardly appeased with his fist pounding into the wooden floor.
 
Miroku winced as the planks gave way underneath Inuyasha's knuckles and caved in. “There's to much interference from Sango's own mind.” He gently rested his fingers on Sango's forehead for a moment before the heat forced him to pull away. “I'm sure Kagome is almost done, Sango is becoming much cooler.”
 
Inuyasha snarled at him, his white teeth glinting menacingly. “This is your fault asshole. Kagome wouldn't be dealing with this if you weren't such a shitty mate.”
 
Miroku was silent as he replaced the cold cloth lying on Sango's forehead, steadily avoiding Inuyasha's glare. “You're right.” he finally admitted, still staring down at Sango.
 
Inuyasha lips twisted as he settled closer to where he had laid Kagome out on the hard floor, wishing he had another place to put her. “What the hell did you do to her anyway? Is she pissed because you made her demon?”
 
Miroku's eyes snapped to his, looking shocked. “No, of course not. You mean she hasn't always been a demon?”
 
“Last time I saw her, she was as human as you. Only tougher.” Inuyasha added as an after thought.
 
Miroku placed his hand on the bed as close to Sango's pale fingers as he could bear. “No that's not what I did to her.” His pinkie twitched, until it was just touching Sango's skin. “I come from a very religious family. My grandfather still believes in the old religion, but my father converted to Christianity before I was born. From him, I came to believe demons were wholly evil beings. So when I found Sango...” he hesitated. “I was cruel and ignorant. I thought I was being punished by God, and I treated her horribly.”
 
Inuyasha looked down to see his hold on Kagome's hand tightening, unsure of when he had even grabbed it in the first place. “You bastard.” he growled, knowing all to well how lucky he was to have Kagome now.
 
His gut twisted, knowing he should be thankful for having Kikyo now before he forced the discomfort away.
 
“I swear to you Inuyasha, I will make it up to her.” he promised, that dead look in his eyes finally fading with his oath.
 
“Feh.” Inuyasha scoffed. “We'll see.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------
 
The pink petals flew across the room in a flurry of color, blanketing flames unseen by the two women Kagome stared at, her mouth gaping embarrassingly wide open.
 
One woman was kneeling at the other's feet, sobbing quietly, her shoulder's shaking under the formless white shirt she wore. Her long, oil-black hair was mussed and slightly snarled as she hung her head down, unable to meet the other's glare. She trembled as the tears poured almost silently out of her eyes, the liquid catching the light of the flames.
 
“Kikyo! What is the meaning of this?” Midoriko asked angrily, her arms crossed over her chest so hard she was shaking as well. A slight purple aura radiated off her, the violet mist swirling around her violently.
 
Kikyo kept her head low, but pushed some of her hair back so it wouldn't get caught in the path of her tears. “I'm sorry Lady Midoriko, so sorry, please forgive me.” she begged, finally looking up at her to show off the wet tracks streaking down the purple and yellow bruise on her white jaw.
 
Midoriko gasped and her hands untangled from around themselves to cup Kikyo's face tenderly. “Tell me child, what has happened?” she asked, her angry power quieting down with its mistress's concern.
 
Kikyo paused as Kagome stared in rapidly increasing amazement, gathering herself to speak. “Truly Lady Midoriko, I did not want to do this.” she whispered, and Kagome had to strain to hear her over the hiss of the flames. “I know what kind of evil this could unleash but...but Lord Inuyasha would not listen!” Kikyo cried, shaking harder. “He...he wanted the power of the jewel, but he knows not how evil he is, or cares.”
 
Midoriko gently wiped her tears away, fingers lingering over the colorful mess staining Kikyo's white face. “Oh my poor child.”
 
“He knows he could not take it, so he used me. That bastard never loved me at all!” Kikyo chocked, fresh tears coating her face. “Inuyasha threatened me, my Lady. He said if I didn't take the jewel for him, he would kill me.”
 
Midoriko's lips tightened. “I am so sorry child.” she carefully smoothed her hair out, straightening the mess it had become. “Your first experience with love did not end well.”
Kikyo was silent as she stared up at Midoriko with wet, doe-like eyes, making Kagome's stomach turn. Even in such distress Kikyo was lovely. Her skin was pure white, her dark eyes slanted and her posture every bit of a proper highborn Japanese lady. She could see what had attracted Inuyasha to her, even if what was spilling out of her pretty mouth was pure bullshit. Inuyasha would never hurt someone he loved. She knew that even without her instincts screaming at her so.
 
Midoriko patted Kikyo's head like a child. “Do not worry, I will make this right.” her face hardened. “Inuyasha will be put to death at once for this crime.”
 
Kikyo and Kagome watched in awe as Midoriko pulled away from her, her power rising from her skin as she muttered words under her breath. She walked through the piles of gold and treasures, studying them carefully until she stopped and reached out.
 
“This will work, do you agree Kikyo?” Midoriko asked before pulling a small mirror out of the heap of riches. “I'll suffocate him in the mirror, and make an example out of him.” she mused heartlessly.
 
Kagome gasped. “Bitch.” she muttered.
 
Kikyo nodded, her face carefully blank and her shining wet cheeks giving her the appearance of a pure china-doll. “Yes Lady Midoriko.”
 
Midoriko cupped her hands over the mirror as Kagome watched, horrified. She serenely closed her eyes and purple ribbons flew out of her aura, twirling and twisting in the air around their mistress.
 
The flames crackled higher as Midoriko traced a star pattern over the mirror's surface.
 
“Lady Midoriko!” Sango's voice called out, though Kagome could not see her, but she was ready to cheer regardless. “Don't do this! I know Inuyasha, he might be a moron, stubborn and brash but he's honorable. He would never do what Kikyo is suggesting!”
 
Midoriko's eyes opened cooly as the ribbons danced above them, glaring at some invisible figure. “Are you saying Kikyo is lying then Sango? That she is the one trying to steal the jewel?”
 
If Kagome strained, she could almost hear Sango's teeth gnash together in frustration. “I'm saying we should ask Inuyasha first. We can't accept Kikyo's word blindly!”
 
“Kikyo is a trusted miko who has helped countless people, human and demon. She has never lied to me before, and she is not lying to me now.” Midoriko snapped, her fingers resuming their path on the mirror. “You are my successor, you would do well to remember that.”
 
“Remember that mikos come first?” Sango questioned sarcastically. “Remember to consider the word of your friends higher then anyone else's?”
 
“Silence!” Midoriko ordered, her ribbons stilling, almost trembling in the air as they hovered. “Very well, I will not kill him. He shall be merely imprisoned until one of my line frees him. That's the best you will get from me.” Midoriko added when Sango's sputtering echoed in the cave.
 
She closed her eyes as the ribbons began to move again, slithering like snakes through the air.
 
“Midoriko, this isn't right!”
 
“How could you say that Sango?” Kikyo burst out. “This is the only way! We can't let Inuyasha get the jewel!”
 
“Spare it, the only person the jewel is in any danger from is you.” Sango shot back. “Midoriko please, at least get a second opinion. If I'm wrong, I'll take care of him myself!” she offered in desperation.
 
“This treasury is under my rule Sango.” Midoriko snapped, the ribbons growing larger and wider. “I am the second, third, fourth, and fifth opinion in these walls and the only one who shall ever `take care' of anything. Remember your place!”
 
Midoriko tapped the mirror firmly. “Inuyasha of the Ruling House of the West will be imprisoned in this mirror until my line releases him.” she declared before Sango could argue, the ribbons spinning and spinning.
 
“No!” Sango yelled, but it was drowned out by the inhuman roar that rocked the treasury Kagome gasped, tears springing to her eyes from such raw pain.
 
“KIKYO!” Inuyasha screamed from somewhere deep in the treasury, his cry echoing through the caves even as the mirror burned with violet light.
 
Midoriko frowned thoughtfully but shrugged it off as she handed the mirror to Kikyo. “I place him in your keeping child. Be safe.”
 
Kikyo bowed, her forehead touching the ground before she got up. “Thank you Lady Midoriko.”
 
“This is a mistake.” Sango hissed as Kikyo calmly walked out, the mirror clutched to her chest.
 
Midoriko groaned, “Enough Sango.”
 
Almost instantly, the scene blurred, and everything became a mess of colors as Kagome turned to look at Sango. “Where were you?”
 
“This is my memory. You are seeing it from my eyes. How could I know what t I looked like without a mirror?” She asked shortly as the hues molded and shifted into something new.
 
Now Midoriko was lying on in a futon in a dark room, sweat covering her pale face. The blankets were pulled up to Midoriko's shoulders, tucked in around her gently as a bloodied sheet soaked into the floor in the corner. A baby in the background cried loudly, and her tired gaze looked at the doorway wistfully before hardening.
 
“Sango.” she called out, her tone strange. “Thank you for coming.”
 
“You call, I come. Isn't that the deal here?” Sango asked woodenly.
 
Midoriko sighed, shadows shifting over her drawn face. “I know you never got over being angry at me Sango, that is why I have summoned you. I am dying.”
 
She paused as the baby's wails grew louder, demanding her mother. “I had a vision during my daughter's birth. I saw Kikyo...and Naraku with the world beneath their feet.” her eyes closed wearily, trying to catch her breath. “You were right Sango, I should never have trusted Kikyo.” she admitted. “I fear I have put us all in grave danger without any way to fix it.”
 
Kagome heard Sango's boots thud against the floor as the memory walked closer to Midoriko. “So I'm here for a deathbed confession?” she asked, not unkindly.
 
Midoriko held out a hand, and Kagome assumed Sango had taken it when Midoriko weakly closed her fingers up. “More of a deathbed request. I need you to fulfill that promise you made to me, even though you weren't wrong. You need to fix this for me, for the world. You are the only one I trust to stop Kikyo and Naraku. It's to late for me now, it's up to you.”
 
“I would be more then happy to kill Kikyo for you Midoriko, but I can't promise Naraku's death.” Sango warned.
 
Midoriko's raised her other arm and dropped it heavily over Sango's hand so that she cradled it between her two palms. “You are a strong demonslayer Sango, but no match for Naraku in your current state.” Her hands tightened on Sango's fingers with a strength a woman dying of labor shouldn't have. “No my child, this is not the time or place for you to defeat them.”
 
“Don't you dare speak in riddles now Midoriko.” Sango warned darkly.
 
Faded and frayed ribbons began to melt out of Midoriko's skin, moving limply around the two women. “Kikyo has many devoted followers all over Japan, they would turn against you when you kill her and they would not understand. Naraku killed the great Inu no Tashio and encouraged the demon rebellion, you as a human would be no match for him. But oh my child, the things you could do with the gifts I'm about to give you.” Midoriko faltered, her voice growing weaker.
 
“Gifts?” Sango asked warily. “What do you mean?”
 
“...Please, just forgive me.” Midoriko asked, as her ribbons sprang to life, the bright purple bands seizing Sango tight.
 
Kagome watched the ribbons jerk as Sango's memory tried to fight them. “What's going on Midoriko?”
 
Midoriko ignored her as the lines of violet started to glow. “Sango of the Demonslayers, until you slay Naraku and Kikyo, you will be demon and sealed away in your sword. You will be free once their blood is dry on your steel.”
 
The flames were nearly out as Sango's anguished cries made Kagome's ears ring. “Midoriko! Goddamn you, no!”
 
The ribbons pulsed and shook, rainbows of color shimmering over them before with one last scream, there was complete darkness.
 
The flickering fire cast light on Sango's blank face as Kagome snapped around to gape at her.
 
“You see now why I tried to harm you.” Sango sighed at Kagome's silence. “If you are the ones to kill Kikyo and Naraku, I will be demon forever.”
 
Kagome shook her head, confused again. “But haven't you already lost your chance? Kikyo was human, she died centuries ago.”
 
Sango slowly shook her head, “I never could have been released from my katana if it was impossible for me to end my curse. She...and he...are out there somewhere.”
 
Dread hit Kagome like a fist to the stomach. How was she supposed to tell this to Inuyasha? How could she tell him Kikyo might still be alive? It would be even harder with the knowledge that she did sell him out. Who could have guessed such a twisted interior would have been underneath such a beautiful person...
 
Jealously twisted her gut and Kagome immediately felt guilty. He had loved this woman for over 500 years, he deserved closure at least. And if he wanted more...well, Kagome wasn't sure what she would do then.
 
Kagome's power leapt onto the remaining bonfire as they stared at each other, both unsure of what to say.
 
The fire died with a hiss, Kagome's power casting a strange pink glow on their faces in the darkness of Sango's mind.
 
“So I guess you're saved now?” Kagome asked awkwardly.
 
Sango stretched underneath the petals still sitting on her chest. “I believe so. Though we'll both be weak for the next day or so.”
 
Kagome stood up and rocked back on her heels, not sure how to act around a woman who had tried to kill her and who she had just saved. “I guess I'll see you around then?”
 
Sango nodded. “You will.”
 
Kagome shivered nervously as she closed her eyes and tried to imagine herself flying up like the instructions had suggested. She gasped as her power grabbed her and flung her straight into the air.
 
When she opened her eyes again, Inuyasha's pissed-off/worried gaze glared down at her.
 
“Mate.” he growled. “I swear to God if you ever do that again, I'll chase after you and drag you out, kicking and screaming.”
 
Kagome rolled her eyes and sat up, arching back her spine as Inuyasha's mouth dropped. “As long as Miroku isn't stupid again, I don't think I'll need to.” Kagome sighed in pleasure when something popped back into place with her long stretch. Just how long had she been laying on the hard floor?
 
“Don't worry, I will never again-“
 
“What the fuck are you doing?” Inuyasha asked frantically, interrupting Miroku. “You'll screw up your ribs moving like that! Down!”
 
Inuyasha grasped her shoulders and pushed her back down before Kagome batted his hands away. “Inuyasha you lunatic, I'm fine!” she snapped before her eyes went wide in realization, her hands shooting to her ribs. “Oh my God, I'm fine.”
 
She yanked her shirt up above her stomach, missing Inuyasha's growl at Miroku not to look as she examined her pale, whole, skin. “My ribs...they're completely fine.” she breathed in amazement.
 
“Your power must have healed your injury when you released it.” Miroku told her, his eyes kept firmly on Sango. “Depending on what you're doing, your power will repair any wound you acquire.”
 
Inuyasha purred in satisfaction as his hand slowly joined hers in stroking her unbroken skin. “So you're completely healed?”
 
Kagome yawned, her jaw nearly unhinging, “I suppose so.” she said, suddenly to tired to understand Inuyasha's intent. “How's Sango?”
 
Miroku barely looked up from where he was grasping Sango's hand with his own. “Her fever is completely gone, she's no longer so white. I think you've saved her.”
 
“Feh. Don't do it again.” Inuyasha warned as he gathered Kagome into his arms. He paused beside Miroku, debating.
 
“Ouch!” Miroku winced when Inuyasha's heavy hand came snapping across his head.
 
“Inuyasha.” Kagome warned sleepily into his neck.
 
“Yeah, yeah, we're going. He's just lucky I gotta get your brother up in an hour.” And without another glance at Miroku, Inuyasha strode out with Kagome cradled in his arms.