InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Summon a Mate ❯ November 8: 12:00pm ( Chapter 12 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
Disclaimer- I do not own Inuyasha and I am making no money off this story.
 
-------------------------
 
Super Important Recap Since Penthesileia Was Jerk Enough Not To Update In The Past Freakin' Eight Months:
Reminding you, courtesy of Lady Kagura
 
So since this PenthesilDORK's first update in God knows how long, she has politely asked me (Well, I made her grovel, plead, offer up her first born child, but whose counting?) to remind all of her lovely readers just what has happened the past eleven chapters. So pay attention, I'm only doing this once:
 
Chapter 1: Kagome is tricked into releasing super sexy, super stupid, Inuyasha from a mirror given to her by the shrink-creep Dr. Saito and her brother Souta. I have to admit, this is one of the more extreme cases I've heard of mates finding each other...
 
Chapter 2: Inuyasha tried to seduce Kagome (Big surprise...) Kag gets freaked out by the mind meld/connection she feels to Yash and runs. Miroku THE FREAKIN' IDIOT! gives her binding beads, because he wants to be jerkish and keep the stupid prayer binding beads for himself. Yeah, I know, total dumbass. If Sango doesn't straighten him out, the demonslayers will.
 
Chapter 3: Sango seems to be creepy. Kagome brings Inuyasha to heel using the prayer beads and asks him a bunch of questions.
 
Chapter 4: Blech, Kikyo pops up. Bitch. She's soooooo totally planning something, even if I haven't been able to figure it out. Kagome's (ahem, weak) mother will be sent to some mental place.
 
Chapter 5: Sango tries to kill Kagome/Inuyasha and because Miroku IS A PATHETIC MORON she's sucked into prayer binding beads. Something weird is going on with Inuyasha/Kikyo. I should have had her killed when I had the chance...
 
Chapter 6: A copy of my handbook that's actually digitized!!!! Lucky humans. The actual copy had to be handwritten. Damn demons and their stupid `oh-so-sacred documents.' If the wording hadn't been inked on, and if Sess would stop stealing my whiteout, there wouldn't be so many smudges!
 
Chapter 7: Kagome decides to be a naive, ignorant idiot. Kouga attempts suicide by injuring Kagome.
 
Chapter 8: Kagome has cracked ribs. (Ouch) Inuyasha persists in being a confused idiot. Sango is getting sick because Miroku SHOULD BE RIPPED APART BY DEMONSLAYERS! Kagome FINALLY asks who fucking Kikyo is.
 
Chapter 9: I find out about Miroku's stupidity and let him know how to save his mate (I'm still thinking about sending the demonslayers after him...) Kouga continues trying to hurt himself by approaching Kagyasha. (Get it? Like Bennifer or Bradagleina? Damn I'm clever) Kag demands a trial for Inuyasha despite being unsure about Inuyasha.
 
Chapter 10: Kagome finds out she's a miko. Yippee! She agrees to save Sango without demanding any kind of paycheck/promise for a first born. She dives into Sango's skull.
 
Chapter 11: She saves Sango! (Thanks to MY directions I might add) She also finds out about Midoriko playing favorites, and just how evil that Kikyo bitch is.
 
Hurry up on Kagyasha's first part, Penny-loser is FINALLY putting me in!
 
----------------------------
 
November 8, 12:00pm
 Kagome lay sprawled out on her couch, the red blanket Inuyasha had tucked around her feeling like a weight holding her down. She was tempted to shove it off, but even that movement seemed like too much effort. She didn't want to be on the stupid couch, but she hadn't felt like getting up after Inuyasha dumped her on the cushions to, quote: “keep an eye on her” while he did the morning chores.
She heard the cabinet doors slam and Inuyasha's muffled curse while she stayed perfectly limp. If she was being honest with herself, the spell's resulting weakness wasn't the only reason she was in this funk.
That sick feeling returned to her stomach, dread overtaking her more effectively then any kind of tiredness from her early morning ordeal.
Just what the hell was she supposed to tell Inuyasha about Kikyo?
Inuyasha slowly walked into the living room, a steaming bowl cradled carefully between his hands. "You better be hungry." He ordered instead of asked, carefully settling down on the open space Kagome's little body couldn't cover.
"Up you go." Holding the bowl with one hand, he slid a hand behind her back and pushed her until he could scoot behind her and balance her against his chest so she was sitting up.
His huge fingers closed over the spoon's handle, practically dwarfing over the delicate silverware as he dipped it into the hot broth. He held it up to her lips, grunting with satisfaction when she opened her mouth obediently. He tipped the spoon so the soup just barely trickled into her mouth, obviously worried about scalding her.
Swallowing, she felt the warmth from the broth spread down her throat and into her stomach. Not for the first time, she was grateful Inuyasha was with her. She would have been too tired to realize she was hungry, or at the very least do anything about it.
Setting the spoon back in the bowl, Inuyasha brushed her hair over her shoulder and readjusted the blanket covering her. "Better?"
She nodded, instead of telling him it felt like the blanket was smothering her. "...need...talk..." she struggled to say, her vocal cords feeling raspy and raw.
She could feel his frown against the back of her head as he gently placed a finger over her mouth. "Don't talk mate. Meld with me." He ordered, letting go of her lips to pick up the spoon again.
Kagome bit her lip, terrified of what he would find if she linked her mind with his. But then maybe it would be better to show him what she saw rather then tell him? Maybe it would be easier for him to accept that way?
Instead she shook her head, not wanting to decide right now. Even with the guilt and dread swamping her, she was so tired. She could hardly think straight. And this sort of info really wasn't something she wanted to talk about when she was in such a daze.
He tapped the spoon lightly against her lips, reminding her to open. She did so, wanting to feel annoyance and anger at being fed like a child instead of feeling treasured.
Precious. Someone to be cared for.
Inuyasha sighed at her stubborn silence. "Something's wrong. Again." He accused. "Did something weird go on in Sango's head? It wouldn't be surprising, considering how many knocks that woman's taken to her skull." 
Wanting to shrug but found she lacked the energy to, Kagome opened her mouth for another warm spoonful instead.
"You know I'm going to find out all your dirty little secrets eventually. Waiting is just going to annoy me more." He warned.
She barely managed to roll her eyes. When wasn't he annoyed?
The spoon dipped into the broth again. "I just want to say this though. Even though you were a fucking moron to go diving into Sango's brain, and if you were do that again I'll...anyway, you saved her. So good job." He praised awkwardly, his hand patting her hand tenderly, at odds with his rough tone.
She swallowed her groan as her heart soared. That was strong praise coming from Inuyasha. How the hell was she supposed to tell him now?
 -----------------------------------------
Click. The silver ball crashed into the other hanging balls, sending the small orb on the end of the line crashing. Click.
 Click, crash, click.
 Click, crash, click.
 Click, crash, click.
Click, crash...click.
Kouga drew back the ball as it slowed to a rest and let it go, uninterested in the twitching of the secretary's jaw.
 Click, crash, click.
Click, crash, click.
Click, crash....
The secretary's clawed hand clamped down over the pendulum, her sudden red eyes glaring down at him. "I'm sorry sir, this is broken." she said in a polite, professional tone that gave no indication to the hint of fang peeking out over her lips. "I'll just take this over here while we give Mr. Tashio a few more minutes."
Frowning, he studied the office toy, "Doesn't look broken-"
The secretary spun away, practically stomping back to her desk with the toy caught in her grasp.
His frown turned into a scowl when he heard the threads being ripped off the frame and the silver balls being crushed to dust in the secretary's fist. Well damn, it must be someone's time of the month.
Still scowling, Kouga slumped back in his seat, bored again now that he didn't have the office toy to distract him. He leaned his head back against the chair, his lukewarm coffee balancing carelessly on the arm of the seat. Stupid Sesshomaru.
He seriously couldn't have cleared room in his schedule before now? And he was still making him cool his ankles, or toes, or whatever the hell body part it was supposed to be, in his waiting room for the last twenty minutes.
But then again, he guessed that was mostly his own fault for refusing to say what he wanted to meet with Sesshomaru about.
A sudden grin broke out over the scowl. He couldn't resist the thought of seeing Sesshomaru's face when he revealed his brother was out of the mirror, had found his mate and wanted to clear his name. Maybe his ice mask would slip for once at the news. 
A buzz rang from the secretary's desk. "Mr. Taisho will see you now." she announced, bagging the scraps of metal left from the pendulum.
Kouga stood up without another word as he strode towards Sesshomaru's office door. It was about time.
The clang of the broken toy hitting the bottom of a trash can sounded out as Kouga pushed the office door open, his nose taking in the outpouring scents of sandalwood, printer ink, and female that infused the entire office.
Kagura was quickly pulling her black hair down and smoothing it down against her neck as Kouga looked around Sesshomaru's domain. The high ceilings, huge windows and big space screamed `important alpha male' in case that was impossible to determine from the man himself.
Sesshomaru Taisho sat at his desk, long white hair secured at his nape and an impeccable suit covering him, not bothering to look up from his paperwork at Kouga or his mate as she perched on the corner of his desk.
Kagura glanced at him indifferently, her little skirt barely covering anything as she kicked her bare legs back and forth irritably, high heels in danger of sliding off her feet. "This better be fast, your little meeting is cutting into my time."
Kouga watched Sesshomaru as he sat down in a chair opposite his desk, wondering if he would reprimand his mate for being so blunt. Sesshomaru only set his pen down, his golden eyes flashing over to her flying legs and the sliver of thigh she displayed from her impatient movements. She stopped, rolling her own eyes as he finally turned his attention to Kouga. His face showed no expression as he looked at him, merely waiting.
Clearing his throat nervously, Kouga tried not to squirm. He hated the way Sesshomaru could ask...no, demand something with only one look. "I found out something recently that you should know." he started, ignoring small talk and going straight to the point.
Sesshomaru only arched a silver brow while Kagura made a barely audible scoff. "Get on with it." she stated, crossing her legs in annoyance, though he didn't dare look at them while she did so. He liked his eyes right where they were.
Of course, Sesshomaru's reaction by any ogling of his mate's legs wasn't nearly as violent if someone caught a glance of the back of her neck. He was traditional in that the delicate area between her back and her skull was highly sensual.
The last moron who had had a peek was lucky he only lost his eyes.
He forced his thoughts away from Sesshomaru's beautiful mate to the man himself. He really wasn't going to be happy with the news.
Would Kouga be a considered a masochist to admit he was looking forward to it?
"Inuyasha has been released from the mirror." he announced. Kagura's eyes widened slightly, a hard thing to do since the woman had amazingly gorgeous wide eyes already, and Sesshomaru stiffened ever-so-slightly.
His golden eyes practically pierced Kouga to the chair. "You had better be absolutely positive about this." Kagura said slowly, each word spoken calmly and softly, but with so much threat behind them that Kouga stiffened, even though he knew he was telling the truth.
Damn, when had Kagura become Sesshomaru's mouth? "I saw him myself. And that's not all.” He paused for dramatic effect. “Inuyasha's found his mate."
 A small scowl crossed her face, "It's not spawn from Kikyo, is it?" She demanded, her nose wrinkling slightly, as if an offensive smell had suddenly found its way to her delicate nose at the mere mention of the bitch.
"Spawn from Midoriko if Inuyasha is to be believed. Not only is she his mate, but she was the one who freed him too. And she's demanding a trial on Inuyasha's behalf."
"A trial?" Sesshomaru spoke for the first time, his rich voice sliding across the room and making Kouga sit up straighter.
"They both claim he's innocent. They...mostly his mate...want to clear his name."
Sesshoumaru breathed, catching Kagura`s gaze before flicking his eyes to Kouga. "Leave."
Kouga's mouth dropping at the command. That was it?
Kagura eyed Sesshomaru before turning to Kouga. "You need some help in leaving, idiot?" she asked, one eyebrow cocked, in a very Sesshomaru fashion. Kouga quickly stood from the chair, stumbling out the door as fast as he could. He remembered the last time someone didn`t immediately leave when dismissed and Kagura “helped“ them leave….through a window…out of the 48th floor.
With his tail between his legs, Kouga nearly ran out of the room, leaving Kagura to face Sesshomaru's wrath by herself.
Rolling her eyes at the pink tinting his eyes, she dropped herself into his lap, tapping at the claws digging themselves into the underside of his desk. "Easy on the wood, it's some kind of rare Amazon tree blend."
She snuggled deeper into him, and after a tense moment he released his hold on the desk to wrap his arms loosely around her.
"I know, I know, stupid siblings right?" she petted his silver hair. "Don`t worry, I'm sure you'll go and kick his ass and feel much better. And then you can set up a trial date and invite this mate over for coffee. A spawn of Midoriko's has gotta be interesting, and much safer then whatever form of mutilation would come from Kikyo's line."
She leaned her head into the nook of his neck as he settled a large hand on her leg. "Just give me an hour before you go hunt down stupid Inuyasha, it'll help both you and me out."
A reluctant smile tugged slightly on Sesshomaru's lips. His mate knew him so well.
-----------------------------
Sango slumped weakly against the wall, the only thing holding herself up was her determination to stare outside the window. It was sunny and beautiful out, the wind ruffling the gold and red leaves still clinging to the trees.
She watched, her head tucked in the corner of the window and the wall as a bright orange leaf slipped from a branch, gently slipping down to join the other fallen leaves on the ground.
This was probably one of the last days of semi-perfect fall weather. Where there was only a slight chill in the air and she could get away with a light sweater without feeling cold. It was the type of day she had taken for granted every fall of her life, both as a demon slayer and as a demon. It was the type of day she almost died on.
Her lips curved limply. She would be dead if it hadn't been for the miko she had been trying to kill for the past week. Who was also spawn of the woman she owed this existence to.
Fate and God was `funny' as always.
She hardly noticed when large hands gently pushed her forward, settling a pillow between her back and the wall. Miroku readjusted the blanket draped over her knees as he sat down on the window seat opposite her, a seaming cup cradled in his fingers. “I've made tea just the way you like it. It took me a few tries to remember how to do it though.” he admitted, holding the cup up to her lips. He sighed when her lips remained stubbornly closed. “Please Sango? Don't drink for me, drink for yourself. You need to get your strength up so you can beat me to a bloody pulp.”
Sango looked interested as she parted her lips, Miroku immediately brightening. “Really, I'll even wash the floor of the blood when you're finished.” He promised, tipping the mug against her mouth.
He pulled away, his thumb catching a drop of tea that quivered on her bottom lip.
“Sango, I need to talk to you about something. It's partly about beating me-” he said, only half kidding, “But mostly...”
Hesitating, Miroku set the mug down on the windowsill, before falling to his knees in front of her.
“I'm begging for your forgiveness Sango.” he said to the floor, not daring to meet her eyes just yet. “I know I've been a horrible mate, and an even worse man to you but please give me, give us another chance. I've changed, I can be a good mate to you now. Inflict on me whatever your honor demands. I'll take it willingly from you.”
Looking blankly down at him, she scowled slightly. “Couldn't this wait till my muscles don't feel like limp noodles?”
He froze. “Right. Well, regardless, the offer is still good when you get your strength back. I'll take it, even if it's death. It's nothing less then I deserve. And if you do kill me, I want you to have this...just a moment.” Miroku got up, almost jogging out of the living room..
Scrapeeeeeeeeee. Scrapeeeeeeeee.
Miroku's hunched back appeared first in the doorway while he dragged something, cursing lightly. The back of his neck shimmered with sweat as he paused to catch his breath.
And with one huge pull, the corner of Sango's beloved Hiraikatsu appeared next.
Sango gasped, her mouth falling open while Miroku lugged the heavy weapon into the living room with no thought to his wood floors. The once pure white demon bone was now tinged with yellow, and she would have to replace the leather binding. But the bead's hanging from the strap were still made from her mother's hand and the frayed ribbon still the fabric from her first kimono. It was the weapon treasured by all demon slayers and mastered by all the best. It was hers from so long ago.
Panting, Miroku managed to pull the boomerang to Sango so he could rest it against the wall next to her. “...hopefully...this...one's...yours?”
Wordlessly, she nodded faintly, desperately wanting to touch it. This was the first object from her past that she actually treasured. This was nothing like the sword that had imprisoned her for so many years while acting as a pretty mantle piece for a family of monks.
“I don't know much about the slayer boomerang, but I assume it would be the perfect tool to use to crack my head open.” Miroku pointed out cheerfully. “But there's one more thing I want to do for you.”
Reaching into his pocket, he slowly dragged out the long string of binding beads. Sango stiffened, watching him as he carefully wrapped it around his hands.
And pulled.
Miroku stared at her steadily as the beads bounced on the floor around them, the pinging noise the only sound in the silent room. “I don't care if you're about to go on a rampage targeting political figures, pregnant women, or even Mr. Rogers. I will never lock you away again, and even if you've gone fucking insane, I'll support you, no matter what you possibly do. So go after Inuyasha or Kagome. My loyalty is only to you.”
Sango studied him for a moment, before slowly tapping a finger once against the mug. Suddenly grinning, he rushed to get it for her.
 ----------------------------------------------------- -----------------------
Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
Inuyasha tucked his ears close to his head at the music's sudden wail, watching on the screen as palm trees, half naked girls and blue water flashed by on Kagome's television screen. For the fiftieth time, he eyed the remote clutched in her hand, wondering if it would make him a bad mate if he stole it from her.
Her fingers twitched slightly on the smooth plastic, as if she knew what he was thinking.
His ears still hidden under his hair, he looked back at the TV, a strange looking blonde man now the focus instead of the horrible song. He glanced back to Kagome, her attention no less unwavering then it had been four hours ago when he handed her the remote.
Damn it, he should have been more worried that she would keep her promise to watch all these `C.S.I' reruns.
Shifting Kagome slightly so she was cradled against his chest a bit more comfortably, he idly tapped his free hand against his leg. He was bored. He had no idea what half this crap was and he didn't want to bother Kagome by asking her to explain. She had gotten some of her strength back as the day wore on, but she was still so tired.
Stupid wench. She'd never go diving into another idiot's brain if he had something to say about it. Which he did since he was her mate.
Even though he still had Kikyo.
Mentally wincing a bit, he wondered why that sounded so wrong. And why he had stopped trying so hard to seduce Kagome. She had been hurt but now that she was better...
His hand drifted down over her hip, considering. He knew women practically melted into his arms after one night with him, it would be no different with Kagome, especially since she was his mate. Technically anyway. And the faster he got her to love and trust him, the faster he could be back with Kikyo.
So why had he stopped trying?
After hesitating, he moved his hand into safe territory on her back. She was to tired for him right now. There would be other times. Kikyo had promised to wait as long as it took.
Kagome stirred against him, tilting her head up to look at him. “You ok?” she questioned, her voice low and husky.
Frowning, he tapped her temple. “Meld. You're still to weak to be talking.” What she needed most was probably more soup. Especially since she still refused to meld with him. Probably didn't want to share her weakness. Feh. As if her little human frailty would affect him.
She groaned when he carefully got out from under her, settling her back on the pillows. “No soup. To much.”
Re-tucking the blanket around her, Inuyasha thought for a moment. Maybe he had given her a little to much soup. “Ice cream?” he brightened when she smiled back at him.
Guess that was a yes.
Watching him pad back to the kitchen, Kagome struggled to set her arms on top of the blanket instead of trapped under the fabric. She didn't feel as weak as she had in the morning, but she was still conflicted over what to do.
Should she tell Inuyasha what she saw?
...click....
Maybe it would be better never to mention it? After all, Kikyo was dead. He was with her now. He never needed to know she had betrayed him.
Shatter
She blinked in surprise, and Inuyasha was crouched over her, his face practically in hers and his eyes tinted pink. His lips were bared back, and sharp, white fangs shone down on her.
“What the hell did you just think?”
Gasping, she turned her head away, “Get-”
His claws slammed down next to her head, digging into the pillow. “Don't you dare.” The ripping sound from his nails ripping apart the fabric was all she heard. “Tell. Me.”
“I don't think-”
“Tell me!” His eyes flashed red, blue flickering over his cheeks. “Right now Kagome!”
Instead, she showed him.
The pink of Inuyasha's eyes deepened as he watched from Kagome's memories Kikyo offer him up to Midoriko. As she didn't bat an eyelash as he was almost killed, and punished instead. As he was sealed away for 500 years.
He roared like a wounded animal, flinging himself away from Kagome.
She straightened, struggling to put her hand out to him. “Inuyasha-”
“No! Don't fucking say it.” He snapped, “Kikyo would never betray me. You're mistaken. You're fucking wrong!”
Tears pricked at Kagome's eyes as Inuyasha began to tear at his hair, pacing the room like it was a cell. The way he must have paced inside his mirror. “I'm so sorry-”
“Don't, you stupid woman! This is wrong. Sango is lying. You're fucking lying to me. Kikyo loves me. I love Kikyo. How could I have forgotten?”
Kagome jerked when he swung around to glare at her with so much...hate. “This isn't a lie you moron.” she said tightly, trying to ignore how much his words hurt. “It's straight from Sango's memories-”
“Then Sango's memories are fucking wrong!” He shook his head violently. “I need to get the fuck out of here.”
“Inuyasha! You can't leave like this!” Kagome managed to throw the blanket off and swung her feet around, setting them on the floor.
“Watch me.” he taunted, throwing the door open.
Frantically, she grabbed hold of the couch arm. He couldn't run around when he was this angry! “Inuyasha, si-”
Before she could finish the word, she pitched forward, her legs not strong enough to support her yet. She crumbled to the floor, her arm still outstretched towards him.
Inuyasha glanced back, smirking cruelly at her as he stepped outside and slammed the door shut.
“Betrayer!” Kagome's voices cried as she lowered her head to the carpet.
BetrayBetrayBetrayBetrayBetray...!”
Kagome could faintly see the carpet's color darkening from her tears, her instincts screaming at her while the mark on her palm burned.