InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Summon a Mate ❯ November 8: 10:00 PM ( Chapter 13 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha, and I am making no money off this story.
------------------------------------------------------------
 
November 8, 10:00 PM
 
Sango picked up her head, eyes intense, her relaxed body suddenly alert.
 
Miroku glanced over at her from his side of the couch, “Is something wrong Sango?”
 
She snarled in answer, grabbing the back of his neck and flinging him to the floor, almost nicking his neck with one of her claws.
 
His face aching from where it had hit the floor, he looked up in time to see his living room door literally being torn off its hinges, Inuyasha on the other side flexing his own claws. His hair was a tangled silver mess, his clothes torn in places and dirt covered his body in random places. But what truly concerned Miroku was the look in his eyes.
 
Red. His normal golden eyes were covered in a red haze.
 
“Lying bitch!” He flung himself into the living room, claws drawn back as Sango rushed eagerly to meet him, her beloved boomerang at hand.
 
Cursing as he crawled, Miroku suddenly wished he hadn't broken the binding beads. He would never use them on Sango again but damn it, he wouldn't be afraid to make that mistake with Inuyasha in this state!
 
“Liar. Fucking little idiot.” Inuyasha hissed at her as his claws went flying.
 
She ducked, his nails narrowly cutting off an inch of her hair instead of her head.
“Well, look who found out the truth.” She taunted as she swung.
 
Inuyasha gasped, the corner of the Hiraikatsu clipping him in the side. Fuck, he had forgotten how much that damn bone hurt.
 
His ribs throbbing, he kicked at her legs, only to receive a slash of her claw across his thigh.
 
“Fighting sloppy runt.” Her nails made neat work of his other thigh while he roared. “Only Kikyo makes you fight this stupid.”
 
“Don't say her name, you fucking liar.” He snarled, finally scoring a cut on her cheek when she couldn't jerk back fast enough.
 
Inuyasha abruptly stopped, frozen in mid-attack, Miroku's paper sutra hovering in the air over his head.
 
Sango smirked, slowly sauntering away. “The miko told you after all about Kikyo? Kami knows we tried to warn you enough.”
 
Miroku sighed, feeling a headache come on. “Let's not tease the wild animals Sango.” he ignored Inuyasha's growl, fetching the first aid kit he was having to use more and more lately.
 
“Kikyo wouldn't do that.” Inuyasha bit out. “You're lying or you're wrong.”
 
“Of course I'm not wrong you moron, I was there! Kikyo. Betrayed. You. I don't know what other proof you need.” Sango snapped, throwing herself back down on the couch now that her adrenaline rush was fading.
 
Inuyasha tried to shake his head, his neck quivering with the effort. “We loved each other-”
 
“Correction: you thought you loved Kikyo, Kikyo loved power. Everyone else could see that except your stupid ass.”
 
“She-”
 
“I don't even know what your problem is. You've found your rightful mate. What are doing hung up on Kikyo?”
 
“It's not-”
 
“And the miko is much more powerful then Kikyo ever was, even if she doesn't know it. She's courageous, she's strong, she's smart.” Sango continued, ignoring Inuyasha. “You got lucky.”
 
“Kikyo was his first love. Shouldn't we be more understanding?” Miroku asked as he came back, the kit heavy in his hands.
 
Sango rolled her eyes but obligingly tilted her head as he examined the cut on her cheek.
 
“No. He wasn't in love with her. He should be in love with the miko, if he isn't already. Kikyo should just be a mistake, but he's not past that stage yet.”
 
“There's no fucking stage to be past! I love her-”
 
“I see what you mean.” Miroku remarked, swiping an antibacterial wipe across her cut. “He seems very stubborn.”
 
“At a level that surpasses most demons. Or any other kind of being for that matter. Most men even.”
 
“Does it really matter much though? Kikyo's been dead 500 years after all. He'll be forced to let go and eventually find how happy he can be with Kagome.”
 
Inuyasha went completely still while Sango slowly looked at him. “No. She's not dead. I've been noticing her stink around the city for the last year or so.”
 
Miroku almost paused from applying the bandage over Sango's cheek. “Still alive? Sango are you sure-”
 
“I'm never been more certain of anything before, mate. And to stay alive for the past 500 years involves dealing in some very dark magic. You should be considering that Inuyasha.” she didn't break her gaze from his. “But then, you don't seem to surprised to learn she's alive still.”
 
Inuyasha was silent.
 
“Are you even aware of the kind of practices a miko has to go through to stay alive for 500 years Inuyasha?” Sango continued, almost conversationally. “Midoriko sent me after one once. I had nightmares for months afterwards.”
 
Closing his eyes, he tried to turn his head away from hers.
 
“I came across the miko bathing in the blood of children. She had the twelve bodies hacked up, salted and dried so she could drink the flesh in a potion throughout the month. Twelve children a year Inuyasha, one a month, just so she could have another year. Imagine how many children your precious Kikyo's gone through.”
 
“Shut up.”
 
“Twelve times 500...” she trailed off, doing the math in her head.
 
“6,000.” Miroku finished for her.
 
“Would you fuckers just shut up?”
 
“6,000 children in total. And that says nothing about the other acts she's committed. Maybe the number is even higher. Hell, maybe she's doubled the number of children for the extra boost of power.”
 
“SHUT THE HELL UP!”
 
“What a fucking prize, your Kikyo is.” Sango said cooly. She rose from the couch, Miroku silent next to her. “If you were smart, you'd help me track her down and kill her once and for all.” her lips twisted in a bitter smile. “But no, you love her.”
 
She very gently rested a hand on Miroku's shoulder. “I'm going to sharpen my Hiraikatsu, it's a bit dull. Make sure he's away from here once you release him.”
 
“You could have a good thing with Kagome, Inuyasha.” Sango threw over her shoulder. “Think about that to.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------
 
Her grandfather huffed. “I knew he was a stupid hoodlum.”
 
“But Inuyasha is still so cool.” Souta sighed, chewing on pop corn.
 
Kagome flushed under her grandfather's disapproving glare. “I told you gramps, I let him go for the night. There was something important he had to do. He did do all his chores didn't he?” Kagome pointed out.
 
“I suppose.” Gramps finally allowed reluctantly. “He still left you alone.”
 
Her heart clenched, her grandfather having no idea just how he left. Or even if he would be back. “Only for an hour, and then you were home. I was fine.” She soothed, glad not for the first time she had managed to drag herself back onto the couch before her family could see her flat on the floor, spread out like a broken doll.
 
“Yeah, she's good.” Souta agreed without even looking up, intend on his popcorn and TV. “No harm, no foal. Besides this is Inuyasha we're talking about. It's gotta be important if he's involved.”
 
Kagome rolled her eyes, starting to get annoyed with Souta's constant hero worship of Inuyasha.
 
Especially if he didn't deserve it.
 
She nearly squirmed in shame again, thinking about the long tears marring the pillow she had flipped over before her family could see. She almost couldn't believe Inuyasha had gone that crazy. Was it her fault? Could she have done it a different way?
 
Making sure her grandfather wasn't looking, she smoothed a finger over her mark. It didn't seem possible, but the black was even darker then it had been before.
 
She sighed, her head falling back. She was just so tired. Tired from saving Sango, from now having to hide her miko powers and healed ribs from her family, and tired of feeling this way about Inuyasha.
 
“Souta, would you help me upstairs now?”
 
“In a minute.” He chewed on his food, eyes glued to the screen.
 
“Souta.” His grandfather warned and he sighed, before standing up and holding a hand out to Kagome.
 
Very gingerly she got up and let Souta help support her up the stairs, trying to looked pained in case he was watching her. He deposited her in her room and watched as she settled back under her covers.
 
“You know, Dad is proud of you.” he said suddenly.
 
Kagome raised her eyebrows. “Oh yeah?”
 
“Yeah. He wanted me to tell you that.” He stuck out his tongue. “Though you don't get to hear the rest of what he wanted to say to you yet.”
 
Kagome almost hit him with her pillow before remembering she was supposed to be injured. “Go to bed soon. School in the morning.” she reminded.
 
He rolled his eyes. “Not for you.” he pointed out crossly, heading for the door.
 
“Night.”
 
“Good night.” she waited until she heard her brother head down the stairs before getting out of bed, tiptoeing quietly.
 
She could still hear the TV faintly from downstairs as she slid into her mother's room, shutting the door quietly behind her. The audience roared with laughter as she crouched next to her mother's bed, the moon glow coming from outside the window reflecting in her blank eyes.
 
“Hey Mama. I'm sorry I haven't brought you any tea.” Kagome shifted, leaning against her mother's nightstand. “But a few days ago my ribs were broken after a demon kicked Inuyasha while we were linked. Then yesterday I had to go to Miroku's house to save his own mate. I found out I'm a miko though.” she tried to say cheerfully. “Isn't that crazy? A real miko, like the ones gramps is always going on about. I haven't decided if I'll tell him yet. He might want me to drop out of school and become a priestess. ...or maybe he'll just not believe me. Oh, and my ribs are better. But don't tell gramps or Souta.”
 
Kagome paused, wishing she had something warmer on. It was chilly in her mother's room, even if she wasn't alert enough to care. “But...I had my first fight with Inuyasha. A real fight. I had to tell him his ex-girlfriend betrayed him, that she was the one responsible for sealing him away in the mirror. He didn't like that.”
 
Tears of frustration burned at Kagome's eyes as she slumped against her mother's bed. “I just don't know what to do Mama. Was I wrong? Should I go after him? Can I trust him to come back at all? But sitting here is driving me insane! I wanted to go out and find him, but gramps has been glued to my side the entire evening and-” she trailed off, muffing a short scream. “All I know is that this stupid asshole is driving me absolutely insane!” she suddenly hissed. “God damn it, enough with this pity party! If he doesn't come back, to hell with him. It's not my fault he can't get past his ex-girlfriend to see me. I'm worth...worth more then her!”
 
Oh so softly, her mother's hand rested on Kagome's head. She froze, suddenly terrified she was only imagining her touch, or even worse she would scare it away.
 
“Good girl.” her mother murmured drowsily into her pillow. “But give him another chance. He might be worth it as well.”
 
Kagome leapt up when the delicate weight was lifted. “Mama?” she asked, staring down at her. “Please, say something else. If you're getting better, you won't have to leave!”
 
But her mother gave no more signs she heard her, or even that she had spoken at all.
 
-----------------------------------------
 
The Forced-Updated Handy Pocket Sized Guide to Understanding, Controlling, and Taming Your Very Own Demon!
 
By the oh so wonderfully fabulous Lady Kagura, Mistress of the Western Lands.
 
Intro Stupider:
 
First, let me say that I think my last handbook was absolutely brilliant. Practically freakin' poetry, except without all the black crows and boring death and blah blah. Seriously, it could not have gotten better. But all these dumb demons are whining, “ooooooo, you shouldn't be so flippant, demon mating is a serious thing, wwahh, I'm a loser.” So here's the handbook 2.0! Mostly the same, but with a few new changes that I'd like to add, I'm being forced to write up. So I'm not rewriting everything, especially since the damn thing has to be handwritten. You can skip back and forth.
 
Rest of the Intro Stupid: Same
 
Chapter 1: I don't care what anyone else says, it's the freakin' same
 
Chapter 2: OK, fine, this one's a bit new, but only because of some stupid, moronic mate nearly getting their demon killed.
 
MORON! IF YOU DON'T WANT ME TO SEND THE DEMON SLAYERS AFTER YOU, DON'T FUCKING USE BINDING PRAYER BEADS!
 
Christ idiots! How more clear could I possibly be?!?
 
Yes it's possible to be a binding-prayer-happy idiot! (Like trigger-happy, get it?)
 
Yes it's possible to kill or nearly kill your mate!
 
Yes it's possible there are idiots out there this stupid!
 
Yes it's possible that should your mate die, the demonslayers will happily hunt you down, string you up, and do things that would make the Spanish Inquisition people sit up and take fucking notes from it!
 
Ok????? Is this even more clear now?!?
 
Chapter 3: There's new stuff only because of stupid evolution. Blech.
 
Mating Marks/Tattoos:
 
New colors. Yippee.
 
Red- Hatred, but usually geared more towards oneself.
 
Orange: Anger
 
Yellow: Freakin' sick of each other
 
Green: Jealously
 
Blue: Happy union. Woot and stuff.
 
Purple: Pregnant.
 
Pink: Another version of Happy union.
 
White: Again, same as blue and pink. Peace with one another.
 
Gray: Bored to death.
 
Gray plus some other color: Wavering slash whatever that color normally means.
 
Sparkly: One of you watches wayyyyyyy to much Twilight.
 
Brown: Yay for chocolate!
 
Black:...
 
“Goddamn it!” Kagura snapped, drops of blood sprinkling the page she was working on. “Fucking prick. Where's my white out?”
 
“You cannot use your `white out' on sacred-”
 
“Don't start with me about `sacred, symbolic, blah blah' crap Sesshomaru! Not when I'm nearly done with this page and my arm starts streaming blood!” she slammed the desk drawers open, searching for her white out to blot out the blood stains decorating the white paper. “I'm soooo not rewriting this again.”
 
Large, white hands settled down on her shoulder, stilling her and before she could yell at him to knock on her freakin' office door before just strolling in,
Sesshomaru wiped the antibiotic wipe down her arm, cleaning away the blood streaming from the cuts on her arm.
 
They were both silent as he tended to her, Kagura still hoping her white out would magically appear, and Sesshomaru inwardly seething at the long wounds marring his mate's delicate skin.
 
He nearly gnashed his teeth when as soon as he was done bandaging her arm, the flesh on her collarbone spilt open in a long, thin line. Nothing life threatening. Just enough to seriously piss him off.
 
Kagura slid her hand into one of his and squeezed reassuringly. “Don't worry so much, one day we'll fix it.” She soothed. “The more important thing is you getting out of here to hunt down your brother and pound him into the pavement a few times. You totally deserve it.”
 
Sesshomaru didn't reply as he cleaned her newest cut. He had planned on leaving hours ago, but he did not like leaving Kagura alone for long.
 
Especially since the wounding had been happening more often.
 
“I'll be fine. I'm a big girl, I can bandage my own boo-boos.” Kagura waved him off, opening another desk drawer. “And I'm dying to meet his mate. I want you there so you can tell her every last embarrassing story about Inuyasha you know of.”
 
“The woman will never leave then.” Sesshomaru pointed out dryly, gratified by Kagura's laughter.
 
“Go find him, it'll make us both feel better. And while you're at it, find my white out.” She pressed a fast kiss against his lips before kicking her desk in frustration.
 
Sesshomaru was not a stupid man in any aspect. “You will not be able to find your white out.” he mentioned just as he was stepping out their front door.
 
“Damn it Sess!” Kagura snapped again. She growled, picking up her pen again.
“Screw it, the blood adds color and will totally freak everyone out.” she muttered, dipping it in the ink well as she lowered it back to the page, feeling a small trickle of blood move down the back of her neck.
 
Black-Betrayer/planning on betraying you/some form of betrayal is in his future plans for you. Watch out for this one sister dears.
 
-----------------------------------------
 
Thigh's burning still from the crap Miroku had slathered on his cuts before cutting him loose at the opposite end of town, Inuyasha sat on the park bench, legs curled up under him, his gaze unwavering.
 
Under a pool of light emitted from a street light, sat a lone pay phone. One of the last left in the city. They were of almost no use now that everyone in this era had cell phones. Inuyasha was actually pretty lucky. If he had been released a year later, even this pay phone might not exist anymore.
 
Making it much harder to contact Kikyo.
 
Yeah. He was really lucky he had gotten out when he did.
 
He watched the phone, the city night surprising quiet around him. He picked up the flutter of wings high above him, and if he squinted hard enough he could almost trick himself into believing that the tall air strikers were trees.
 
He missed the old forests from his home.
 
Inuyasha didn't really like this century with its huge buildings, horrible smells, and insane amount of technology. But still, he wished he could have watched it change.
 
When the woods slowly started to retreat in favor of the larger cities. He wished he had been there when the telephone and the computer and the whatever's had been invented, so it wouldn't be so damn hard to learn now.
 
But had it really been Kikyo who prevented that from happening?
 
He couldn't believe it, and definitely didn't want to. But then...
 
6,000 children in total. And that says nothing about the other acts she's probably committed.
 
His ears drooped. Could Kikyo have really done all that? Killed so many children to stay alive? She had never explained how as a human she had stayed alive so long, and he had never questioned it, just glad to hear another voice in the dark.
But thinking about it now, he had never heard any good spells to extend a human life, only the extreme dark ones.
 
Kikyo had ordered him not to call her until they were ready, but he didn't know what else to do.
 
Picking up the phone, and holding it awkwardly against his head, his fingers tapped out the numbers imprinted in his mind.