InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Summon a Mate ❯ November 9: 1:03 AM ( Chapter 14 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
Disclaimer: I do Not own Inuyasha and I am making no money off this fic.
----------------------------------------------------
November 9, 1:03 AM
 
Ring. Ring. Ring.
 
Kikyo nearly jumped, startled by the phone. She hadn't been expecting calls this late.
Her newest batch of potion was brewed and now she was getting ready for bed.
 
Ring. Ring. Ring.
 
She didn't have any friends. All of her enemies were dead. She kept her work strictly at the office. There was only one person in the entire world who had her private line and reason to call her so late.
 
Ring. Ring. Ring.
 
She vaulted over her couch, scrambling over her wooden floors to get to the phone, her heart pounding wildly. It had to be him. It must be time.
 
Ring. Ring. Ri-
 
“Inuyasha! Baby!” she crooned into the receiver. “Oh baby, you did it!”
 
There was a slight pause from the other side. “...Kikyo.”
 
Her grip tightened on the phone. “Inuyasha.” she said again, this time a little more reserved. “Oh Inuyasha, you've made me so happy!” she forced a cheerful note back in her voice. “I just knew you could make her fall this fast. You have such a way with women.”
 
“...that's not what I'm calling about.”
 
Eyes narrowing, she slowly sat down on the arm of her couch, trying to keep calm. Surely he had called with good news? He wouldn't dare call for any other reason. “Then what is this call about Inuyasha? You know I told you not to call me until it was done and we were ready to proceed.”
 
“Well, I haven't done it yet.” he suddenly snapped. “Kag's more stubborn then you gave her credit for.”
 
“Oh Kag now is it?”
 
“Higurashi then. Whatever. Look, I need to know what you want to do to her.”
 
Her mouth nearly fell open from shock. “Excuse me. Are you asking me for an explanation? No, demanding one?”
 
“I think it's the least I should be demanding considering I'm the one doing your dirty work.” he shot back.
 
“What is this all of a sudden?” He had never talked like this to her before. “Am I supposed to believe you've developed some sort of feelings for the girl?” she sneered.
 
“I know part of the story was telling her she's my mate. ...but she really is my mate.”
 
Kikyo nearly cracked the plastic of the phone, and she forced herself to relax her grip on it. Fuck! This was totally screwing with all her plans! “Are you sure?”
 
“Positive. So I need to know what exactly you want to do to her.”
 
“But Inuyasha,” Kikyo worked a stricken tone into her voice. “Does this mean...I mean...” she swallowed, wondering if it would be overkill to stutter some more, “Do you no longer want me?”
 
“...what? Fuck! No! Of course not! Screw fate, I picked you a long time ago.”
 
Kikyo dragged a hand through her black hair, scowling. Sure, he was saying that now but would he hold to his convictions when it really counted? Especially since she could hear just a touch of uncertainness in his voice. There was enough that she started to feel worried.
 
“Because you promised me baby, you said you would love me forever, no matter what. I don't know what I would do if you left me.” she tried to whine without actually whining. “Especially for her.”
 
“I know, I know. I still do, I still love you. ...But I still need to know what you'll do to Kagome.”
 
“Inuyasha, did you completely forget she's of Midoriko's line?” Kikyo suddenly snapped, frustrated by his stubbornness. “Not only is she powerful enough to help us, but you can finally get your revenge! Midoriko was the one who sealed you away for 500 years, Midoriko was the one who kept us apart, Midoriko was the one who unfairly locked you up! There should be no greater reason for you, then to reclaim your honor on Midoriko's kinswoman!”
 
“That's ridiculous, Kagome wasn't even alive then-”
 
“Sins are passed from the father to the son! Why shouldn't you take it out on Kagome?” she nearly gnashed her teeth together. How could he be so thick?!? Any revenge was good revenge!
 
Especially since she fucking needed her to get the jewel!
 
She forced herself to take a breath and calm down slightly. “Baby, I'm not going to hurt
her at all.” she lied gently. “We need her if we want to go through with the plan. So of course she'll be hurt once you reject her, but I promise I will not harm her physically. Emotionally is another story because really baby, how could a woman live without you?” she purred, rolling her eyes as she said it.
 
“If we want everything to go according to plan, she has to trust you, to love you, to be so completely obsessed with you she'll do anything for you, even if it's to help send you into the arms of another woman. We both know that's the only way we can ever be together.” She eyed her liquor cabinet, desperately needing a drink. “So I'm trusting you to seduce her, to make her fall for you so completely, she's yours; body, mind and soul.”
 
She tucked the phone between her cheek and her shoulder, thinking a shot of vodka with a dash of four year old boy sounded good right about now. “Do you think I want this either? It's driving me insane with jealously. But it's necessary.”
 
“I'm just not sure...”
 
“Sure of what? Of us? Inuyasha, do you really want to depend on the choice some `God' is pressing on you? The same God who kicked your people out of heaven because a few of them wanted to change the management a bit?” Kikyo demanded. “You can change that Inuyasha, you don't have to be Fate's little bitch. You can make your own choices about who to love for the rest of your life. Or are you really satisfied with someone else, some horrible, judgmental `God' choosing for you? Screw God. Screw
Fate. Make your own destiny Inuyasha, make your own heaven!”
 
“...I guess you're right.” He said reluctantly. “I just don't want to hurt her.”
 
She didn't want him to hurt Kagome either. She wanted to be the one to tear that little bitch apart. Especially with the effort it was taking her to convince Inuyasha to stick with the mother-fucking plan. “I know baby, but we all have to do what we have to do.”
 
“...is that what you're doing to stay alive?”
 
Kikyo froze with her hand still on the bottle, really worried now. “What's that supposed to mean?”
 
“How have you stayed alive so long? I know you're still human.” Inuyasha continued, while Kikyo's grip tightened. “You're not bound to another demon and miko's don't live any longer then a normal mortal.”
 
Her fingers rubbed the lid to the beaker neatly labeled, `four year old boy, late 2007', wanting to curse. Fuck! “I don't understand what you're saying. Are you accusing me of something Inuyasha?”
 
He hesitated like she knew he would. “I just want to know how you did it.”
 
...how the hell was she supposed to explain this? Could she talk herself out of being a child murderer?
 
“I can't believe this Inuyasha! First, you're questioning me about Higurashi and now this? Just what has gotten into you?”
 
“Would you just tell me already?” he snapped back and her eyes went wide. He never ever talked like that to her!
 
Damn it, maybe she should have waited a few more years. But 500 years of nearly brainwashing him should have been enough and her patience only lasted for so long. She had waited enough and she wanted the jewel now!
 
But it looked like Kagome Higurashi was screwing everything up. Inuyasha never would have questioned her like this before her. Bitch.
 
“I did what was necessary to be with you Inuyasha.” Kikyo worked tears into her voice. “Everything I have ever done since I met you has been for you. I love you. How can you question my sacrifices when they've been for you? You've had the easy part you know. You got to stay in a mirror, safe and cared for by me. I had to carry both of us. It was so hard Inuyasha.”
 
“You're right Kikyo.” he said after a pause. “I'm sorry.”
 
Kikyo caught herself before let out a sigh of relief. That was a close one. “It's fine baby. I know it's been difficult for both of us. And it'll all be over soon. Just get Kagome to place her trust in you. And we'll have the jewel.”
 
“She's close. But not quite there yet.”
 
“Keep seducing her.” Kikyo ordered without the slightest bit of jealousy. “Once she's slept with you, she'll fall so fast we'll be together in no time.”
 
“I can do that.”
 
Popping the lid off the bottle, the liquid gurgled as it poured into a glass. “I know. So now I want you to go back to her house, and not call me again until we're ready. You've wasted half the minutes on your calling card as it is.” she tilted a vial over her glass, tapping the bottle gently as the flecks inside floated down. It needed the herbs and the other crap to be truly restorative, but she loved the kick a young child could give to alcohol. It was better than drugs and made her skin glow.
 
“Alright.” Inuyasha said, sounding more firm. “I'll talk to you again soon then.”
 
Kikyo smirked slightly. “I have every faith you will. I love you.” she added sweetly, before pressing the END CALL button.
 
She knocked the glass back, sighing with pleasure as it burned down her throat.
 
Inuyasha was getting so annoying, especially now with his fucking doubt in her. She couldn't wait to just get rid of him, along with his precious bitch-mate.
 
Frowning slightly as she fixed herself another drink, the potential Matehood between
Kagome and Inuyasha might screw with her plans, like it almost had. Kagome was probably the one confusing him. Inuyasha could swear eternal love to Kikyo all he wanted, but it might be harder for him to throw his true mate to the wolves.
 
Hmmm, tossing Kagome into a pack of huge, starving, rabid, wolves could be fun...
 
This time, she mixed in five year old girl into her vodka. She had spent 500 years conditioning Inuyasha just for this task but still, she hadn't counted on the girl being his true mate. It probably wouldn't hurt to have a little insurance then, just in case...
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------
 
Inuyasha awkwardly set the phone back in its cradle, cursing when it fell regardless and smashed into the phone booth stand.
 
Cringing at the loud noise, he set the phone back into its proper place, more gently this time. He tried to slide his hands inside his sleeves, forgetting it was too tight a fit. He settled for sticking them in his pockets as he headed for the park.
 
He needed to be around trees right now.
 
He didn't know what the hell else to do.
 
Lifting his head, he caught the faint scent of leaf and headed off in that direction, his nose leading him. The streets were still quiet enough that the scuffing sound Inuyasha's shoes made on the pavement echoed against the buildings as his causal walk turned into a dead run.
 
The first line of trees appeared and Inuyasha hurled himself into their branches, quickly jumping from limb to limb until he was in the center of the park in the biggest, fullest tree he could find.
 
He settled against the rough bark, a slight peace finally settling over him. It was nothing compared to the comfort Kagome could bring, or even the way Kikyo's voice could soothe him when he was stuck alone in darkness, but whatever, it would do for now.
 
Though he hardly noticed any discomfort from his seat, his mind still whirling.
 
The damn phone call to Kikyo hadn't helped at all, he was still uncertain as hell about what to do, who to choose. Especially since the more he thought about it, the more he realized Kikyo hadn't actually answered anything at all. She reaffirmed what she had been telling him for the past 500 fucking years.
 
Which just pissed him off even more.
 
Before it had been so simple. Kikyo was the obvious choice. He loved her, and he would be choosing his own fate to be with her. He wouldn't have to depend on some God to make the right choice for him. He'd take matters into his own hands and make his own life. And by using Kagome, all that could have been possible.
 
But Kagome wasn't what he expected at all. And not only because she was his mate. Kikyo had described her as some uptight, annoying, snobby little bitch. But she wasn't that at all.
 
And...she was his.
 
Regardless of anything else, she was born to be his mate, created to belong only to him.
 
Yeah, she could go fall in love, marry, have another man's child; though that wasn't something he should be thinking about if the sudden twist of his stomach was anything to go by, but it would never be the same as if it were with him. She would never have that type of bond with anyone else, that all enduring passion, love and zest.
 
Even if he severed his ties to her and mated Kikyo, she would never be completely free of him.
 
He was trying so fucking hard not to, but he was beginning to like her. Kagome was nothing like her kinswoman who had locked him away, she was a different kind of miko from Kikyo, and she was like no other woman he had ever met.
 
She'd only known him a week, but she cared enough to make him food, to play with his ears, and defend him against every accusation thrown at him. She hadn't blamed him for his part in her injury and she had even stood up to the demon who caused her those very injuries, all for him.
 
And sometimes, when the light hit her a certain way, or when she was arguing with her brother, or when she was sleeping against his chest, hell, even when she was just standing there just breathing, she was so fucking beautiful it made something inside him ache.
 
He loved Kikyo, but it had never been quite like that between them.
 
But...he had already chosen Kikyo. And he could make it feel like that between them. So what excuse could he have to go back on his decision like that?
 
What he needed was to remind himself of Kagome's flaws. Stubborn, anal, loud, and bossy. He'd have to make a list...
 
He groaned out loud. Fuck. Now he was thinking about writing up lists. He was getting whipped.
 
Bark shredded under his claws.
 
Crack
 
Goddamn it! This wasn't even a discussion! His heart belonged to Kikyo, and that was that! Screw fate, screw `God' and screw Kagome!
 
Crack-crack
 
Growling, he loosened his grip on the bark.
 
CRACK
 
...What the hell was that noise?
 
He felt the branch he was on, the one he had dug his fingers half way through in his annoyance, give out from under him.
 
Shit! He pushed off the falling limb and threw himself into a back flip, landing gracefully on his feet, not even out of breath.
 
“Impressive brother, you've kept yourself agile during your imprisonment,” a cool voice called from behind him, before a line of heat wrapped around his throat and yanked.
 
“Fuck.” Inuyasha gasped, landing on his back. A heavy boot came down on his neck,
pinning him to the ground before he could even think about getting up.
 
“Language Inuyasha.” Sesshomaru chided dryly. “Your agility may be competent, but your alertness has indeed softened. There was a time when even I could not ambush you so easily.”
 
Hooking his foot around the ankle Sesshomaru wasn't currently using to suffocate him, Inuyasha knocked his brother off balance enough to push himself off, instantly attacking with a blow to the right, which Sesshomaru barely managed to dodge.
 
“Not entirely shameful,” Sesshomaru continued, “for someone who hasn't had anyone to spar with in almost five centuries.”
 
“In fact,” Sesshomaru mused, dodging a hastily thrown punch, “given a chance to re-train, you might be good enough to join our clan's service once more.”
 
Inuyasha frowned, his attack hesitating for the slightest second.
 
“Yes,” Sesshomaru said as he took the opportunity to grab his younger brother by the arm, twisting it behind the young half demon's before kicking him in the small of his back, “if it wasn't for that business of betraying our land, kin, the entire west and the whole of demonkind, you could have been an honorable warrior again.”
 
“Ass...hole.” Inuyasha said, through clenched teeth, as he picked himself up from the ground, the first thing he had said to his brother in 500 years.
 
Sesshomaru cooly looked down his nose at him, light idly flickering between his fingers.
“Hardly.” he commented, his whip flashing. “Have all those centuries locked away whittled at your brain Inuyasha? Do you not remember only weaklings and traitors resort to such language?”
 
Cursing, Inuyasha back-stepped enough that the whip only licked his cheek, leaving a stinging wound behind. “Oh, don't fucking start on the language crap you bastard! I've heard enough of it!”
 
“Pity it didn't seem to sink through.” The whip lashed at Inuyasha's feet, a ghost of a smile curving on Sesshomaru's lips as he forced his brother to `dance' if he wanted to avoid the weapon's bite. “But it is only expected after what you attempted.”
 
Inuyasha bared his teeth, fucking tired of the insane jumping Sesshomaru was putting him through. “For the last time, I haven't betrayed anyone!” he roared, launching himself at Sesshomaru.
 
“I never tried to steal the jewel!” His claws flashed, growling at his brother's slight smile when he just barely missed the tip of his nose. “I never attacked Kikyo. I didn't do any of the crap you people are accusing me of!”
 
The slight smile turned down into a slight, thoughtful frown as Sesshomaru almost absently wrapped his whip around Inuyasha's wrist. “Midoriko was the most powerful, influential, trustworthy miko of that era. Kikyo was surely the most popular. What makes you think I will take your word over theirs?” Sesshomaru mused as his wrist flicked, sending Inuyasha flying towards a tree.
 
Snarling, Inuyasha turned in the air, so his feet hit the trunk of the tree instead of his head. “Because I'm your fucking brother!” he flipped, using his momentum from the tree to land on his feet, in a deep crouch. “You know me better then that Sess. Hell, you're practically the one who raised me. Are you saying you raised a traitor in your own household?”
 
Inuyasha leapt up when the whip came snapping back towards him. “Goddamn it, I don't care if those two bitches were angels sent from heaven, you should have believed in me over them! I don't care what they accused me of. You could have at least ordered Midoriko to take me out of the damned mirror long enough to question me yourself!”
 
Instead of going after Inuyasha like he expected, Sesshomaru's whip curved around the branch over him.
 
Crack
 
Inuyasha yelped when the tree branch crashed down onto his head, sending him reeling while his brother looked on.
 
“That is something you should ask of your precious Kikyo as well Inuyasha.” Sesshomaru neatly sidestepped the accusation. “Kikyo was the one entrusted with the mirror after all. I should not have been the only one with any concern for your potential innocence or guilt.”
 
Narrowing his eyes, Inuyasha brushed the leafy limb aside as if it hadn't almost knocked him out. “What the hell's that supposed to mean?”
 
If it had been anyone else but Sesshomaru, they would have shook their heads and sighed sadly. “Really Inuyasha, 500 years trapped in a mirror is hardly an excuse for such stupidity. Kikyo, your `beloved', your `true love' the one you droned on about wanting to mate, never petitioned Midoriko for your release. In fact,” Sesshomaru paused to flick his whip at Inuyasha's head. “She almost seemed to relish in telling the whole of the country her misery at your hands. The tale quickly became mundane and irksome after the first few retellings, but she seemed to enjoy reciting it nonetheless.”
 
Inuyasha stumbled, even though Sesshomaru hadn't physically attacked him. “Misery at my hands? What the hell does that mean?”
 
“Her words fortunately, not mine. Especially at state dinners, she would remind us all of your terrible crimes against her. Almost every word was the same every year.” he flicked the tip of his whip at Inuyasha, hardly caring when he missed as his mind sought to remember the words from so long ago. “Every statement was unoriginal however. It all revolved around you beating her in order to claim the jewel for yourself.”
 
Inuyasha shook his head violently, “She couldn't have said that! She never would have said anything that could even sound like that!”
 
Frowning, Sesshomaru pulled Inuyasha's feet under him, enjoying the `thump' his body made when it hit the ground. “Of course she did. Unlike yours, my memory is impeccable.”
 
“Bastard!” Inuyasha roared, springing back up to his feet. “Kikyo would not have said that! She loved me and knew I would cut off my own arm before ever hurting her!”
 
“I cannot be blamed if that is not the impression she left then.” Sesshomaru sounded almost bored, blocking Inuyasha's wild blows easily before they could land on his still flawless skin. “With her constant testimony of abuse, she left me with little influence over Midoriko. If I had pushed her anymore then I had done so, it would have risked civil war between mortals and demons. I have no doubt Kikyo could have easily persuaded the miko to release you, but she never did so.”
 
Not for the first time, doubt wriggled into Inuyasha's mind. Kikyo did have a great deal of influence over Midoriko. If he was being honest, she had always been somewhat of a miko's pet... So why hadn't she been able to convince Midoriko to free him? Had she even tried?
 
“I was unable to persuade Midoriko to release you into my custody as well. Kikyo would not allow it, so Midoriko refused to reclaim your mirror from Kikyo, or to free you from your prison.” Sesshomaru continued, seemingly unaware of his brother's stricken face.
“Kikyo disappeared soon after your imprisonment, taking you along with her I assume. No one in the demonic community has heard from her or of her since.”
 
Sesshomaru instantly caught sight of Inuyasha's sudden flushed face. “However, I shall assume you have knowledge of Kikyo. Especially after the call you placed tonight.”
 
“You bastard! Just how long have you been spying on me?” Inuyasha demanded, legs tensing in readiness to launch himself at Sesshomaru.
 
“Try not to be so foolish. I hardly had to `spy' on you to realize you are choosing to make the same mistakes again.” Sesshomaru rebuked cooly.
 
Inuyasha threw himself at his brother, claws out and eyes crazed. Sesshomaru avoided his wild punches with a fluid grace that only pissed Inuyasha off even more. “You don't know shit!” Inuyasha's leg swung, heading for his brother's head in a roundhouse kick.
 
Calmly, Sesshomaru held up an arm, hardly budging when Inuyasha's leg connected. “It is worse this time as you have found your true mate.” he continued before shoving
Inuyasha to the ground. “Just what is this hold Kikyo has over you? It cannot be a spell or bewitchment. Though perhaps we should kill her to be sure...”
 
“Leave her alone! She's got nothing to do with this!” Inuyasha snapped up, not noticing the way Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed before he found his back pressed against a tree trunk, Sesshomaru's hand pinning him down by the neck.
 
His normally cool golden eyes were rimmed with red as he stared down at his younger brother. “Once again, you are wrong. Apart from your natural stubbornness, Kikyo has everything to do with your current foolishness. Tell me little brother, what qualities does Kikyo possess that tempts you to abandon your own, God-given mate?” Sesshomaru didn't show it, but he truly was curious. He would do everything in his power to keep Kagura by his side. How was it possible that Inuyasha didn't feel the same towards his own? Regardless of his pigheadedness, his instincts should be urging him towards the miko.
 
“I promised Kikyo forever, how could I just leave her now because I found Kagome?” Inuyasha demanded, his own hackles rising.
 
“Because Kikyo is not your true mate. It is unnatural to be with her. You will be forcing misery and unhappiness on all parties involved. You will never have a true heir.” Sesshomaru listed automatically, the answers coming to him easily. “Ultimately, both you and Kikyo will be happier by following the natural course. You will be with your true mate, and Kikyo will be dead.”
 
“And what if we could change that?” Inuyasha asked recklessly, “What if my true mate didn't have to be Kagome?”
 
Sesshomaru stared at his brother. “My blows to your head have finally rendered you completely senseless.” he decided. “What could you possibly mean by that?” He wasn't sure he wanted to know...
 
Inuyasha raised his head defiantly, ceasing his struggle to free himself and just let his body hang from Sesshomaru's grasp. “The Sacred Jewel can get rid of the bond between me and Kagome and make Kikyo my mate. My real, forever and ever, mate.”
 
There was a slight pause, while Sesshomaru soaked in Inuyasha's words. And then abruptly, he shoved his foot as far as possible into Inuyasha's stomach without breaking the skin.
 
Turning his nose up at the strangled noises emerging from Inuyasha's throat, Sesshomaru dropped him, letting his brother lie in a heap at his boots.
 
“You fool.” Rage coursed through his blood, making him ache to do more permanent damage to his brother. “You ignorant, pathetic fool.”
 
“Fuck...you.” Inuyasha panted, clutching his stomach. He tasted something metallic and wondered if he had cut the inside of his mouth or coughed up blood.
 
“It is far beneath me to inform you of the nature of demonkind, but I shall anyway because this latest imbecility from you is truly embarrassing and a stain on the honor of the Western Lands and our father's name.” Mentally, he made a note to order Kagura to record this in her latest version of the handbook. And not to make it so flippant.
 
His boot roughly nudged Inuyasha onto his back, making sure he had his complete attention. “No one and nothing can ever allow you to mate another woman but Kagome.
It is not something that can ever be undone or changed. Kagome is your only mate. You will not ever be allowed to mate Kikyo naturally.” Sesshomaru laid out, wanting to be clear. “The jewel cannot change this, you cannot change this, Kikyo cannot change this,
Fate cannot change this, not even God can change this. It was your destiny even before you were born to be mated to Kagome...” He trailed off, not knowing her last name. “This is completely and irrevocably unchangeable.”
 
“And why the hell not, huh?” Inuyasha wheezed. “What the hell is so wrong with being able to chose my own woman?”
 
Sesshomaru almost closed his eyes in frustration. He almost wished Kagura was here to see what her handbook was so obviously lacking. “That is part of our punishment for attempting to overthrow God. We are lucky He tied us to women we come to care for, our punishment should have been much worse then it is.” The next part was harder to comprehend unfortunately. Inuyasha probably wouldn't understand the concept until close to dawn.
 
His eyes twitched when Inuyasha rolled back over and spat out blood, wanting to tell him to man up. “We have established Kikyo will never be your true mate, yes? Hypothetically however, you continue on this foolish route and perform the mating ritual with Kikyo. So tell me Inuyasha, do you remember what would happen if you impregnated Kikyo”
 
Sesshomaru assumed no at Inuyasha's glare.
 
“A resulting child between a demon and a woman who is not his true mate will become a Nephilim.”
 
Inuyasha's glare became a blank look.
 
Sesshomaru stifled a sigh. “Kagura refers to them as `super evil, really creepy, horrible little mini-monsters'.” He explained with all the remaining patience he possessed. He would have to have another talk with Kagura about her choice of wording...
 
Inuyasha's eyes widened. “The weird evil baby solider things that can overthrow God?”
 
Maybe this wouldn't take until dawn after all. “Yes. Do you have a speculation on where Nephilim come from?” He was going to kill him if Inuyasha said the stork, brotherhood be damned.
 
“Only mates can become pregnant from demons...” Inuyasha said slowly, searching his memory. “So the only way a Nephilim can be born is if the mated woman is not the demon's real mate?”
 
“Congratulations on finally grasping the simple principles of demonic existence most toddlers realize with less prompting.” Sesshomaru said dryly. “Your progeny with Kagome will be a wondrous, powerful offspring and a force for good, and any spawn with Kikyo will become the antichrist.”
 
“But the jewel-”
 
“The jewel can do nothing! Give up on Kikyo.” Sesshomaru ordered.
 
Inuyasha grunted instead of arguing. “You told me you destroyed the jewel you bastard.”
 
“What happened with you and Kikyo is exactly why I told you that.” Sesshomaru pointed out while Inuyasha tensed.
 
“I fucking didn't betray you, you-”
 
“Obviously.” Sesshomaru interrupted cooly, ignoring his brother's gaping mouth. “I will send a car for you and your mate tomorrow afternoon.”
 
Inuyasha struggled to sit up, his stomach clenching in protest. “Wait, what?”
 
Sesshomaru pulled on the labels of his coat, straightening the already straight edges.
“Your mate requested a trial on your behalf, did she not?”
 
“Yeah, but that's practically tomorrow-”
 
“The trial is not tomorrow you simpleton. My mate has arranged a-” Sesshomaru's mind worked rapidly trying to pick a word. “-small luncheon in honor of your mate. You will both come and we will discuss this trial and other matters then.”
 
Without another word of explanation, Sesshomaru spun on his heel, Inuyasha still on the ground.
 
“Yo, Sess, wait!” Inuyasha called out before he could stop himself as his brother paused, not looking back. “You're actually going to defend me?”
 
“No Inuyasha. I am giving you your chance to defend yourself.”