InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Summon a Mate ❯ November 9: 11:45 AM ( Chapter 17 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

AN: Sorry about the slightly late update, but I really want to start updating weekly on Sundays. (And I needed to rewrite chapter 17 after I screwed it up the first time, but that's never here nor there)
 
Extra special thanks to my beta for getting 17 back to me so fast!
 
Lady Wolf: You'll find outttttttttttttttttt...soon enough :)
 
Unistar: You'll find out! Only a little bit though, since this is part 1 of the lunch. No idea yet how long it's going to be...but thanks for reviewing!
 
SplendentGoddess: Thank you! I'm glad you like it. And you're right, I have no excuses. So let's hope that keeps me writing. Thanks for reviewing!
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha and I am making no money off this story.
 
November 9, 11:45 AM
 
I'm so excited! And I just can't hide it! And I know, I know, I know-”
 
“Kagura. Turn the music down.” Sesshomaru gritted out between his teeth. Normally he let her have whatever she wanted, but she had played the same Pointer Sisters song 50 times in a row, nonstop. She had learned every last word and insisted on singing along.
 
And whille he loved her beyond imagining, there was a reason why his mate wrote instead of sang. 
 
Completely ignoring him, Kagura turned the music up, popping another cheese puff into her mouth. “Are you sure these are still good?” 
 
Holding back a sigh, he tried to focus on the books in front of him as the song repeated for the 51st time. “All the food was cooked today, Kagura. Cheese puffs don't expire after four hours.” 
 
“So then it's just full of funky cheese?” 
 
“If `funky' cheese is a thousand dollars a pound, aged longer then you, and hand curdled by traditional Swedish milkmaids, then yes.” He said dryly, gratified by her laugh.  
 
“Fair enough, I'll shut up.” She pushed his papers away, plopping herself down on his lap. “I'm sorry Sess, I just want everything to go well. And I know you've put in all this effort for me.” She waved a hand to indicate the lavish spread of food, elegant place settings, and the commissioned embarrassing baby paintings of Inuyasha. Sesshomaru might not have had a camera in those days, but certain events would be seared into his memory for all time, whether he liked it or not.
 
He slid his arms around her waist as the song repeated again, waiting for her to finish her thought since she clearly wasn't done talking yet. 
 
“I've just always wanted Inuyasha to be innocent. I've really missed tormenting the little guy.” she leaned her head against his shoulder, chuckling. “And now that he's got a mate? We can totally double team him. He'll never see it coming.” 
 
“Is that why a crate of feathers and fast drying glue was on your shopping list?”
 
“I figured one little prank would be okay, just for old time's sake.” She sighed. “But no, I'll be good. I want to make a good impression on Kagome.”
 
Sesshomaru allowed himself a sly smile. “Mate, you're always good. However, forming a good impression is wise. Perhaps Inuyasha's mate will be of use to us.” 
 
Kagura groaned, trying to pull away from the iron grip of his hands. “Not this again. C'mon Sess, she's only sixteen, don't drag her into anything.”
 
“She's of Midoriko's line and one of the first miko's in her family for generations. She should be extremely powerful.” Sesshomaru continued. “She might prove to be an asset to the Taisho name.”
 
“Don't act like the Taisho name is so important, we picked it out of a hat a few centuries ago. You mean, to us.” Kagura snorted. “Sess, we've talked about this. You know I'm willing to-”
 
“Do not finish that sentence, Kagura.” Sesshomaru interrupted, fury coloring his tone. “You know that is not acceptable. It is not even a last resort, it is an impossibility.” 
 
“But you would bring me back!” Kagura shot back in frustration. “So it's not-”
 
“No. There is another way. I am close to finding it. You will not even consider THAT option. Do I make myself clear?” he demanded. 
 
Kagura growled in annoyance, doing a fair impression of him. “Yes. But I still think you're being ridiculous, emotional, and sentimental.” 
 
Sesshomaru almost smiled in spite of his rage. Imagine someone ever accusing him of being those things. 
 
But nothing would ever make him put his mate in harm's way. Even if that made him ridiculous, emotional, and sentimental. 
 
She huffed and fell back against him. “I guess it's just as well.” she allowed reluctantly. “I  would be a little scared. But only a little, since you would never allow us to be separated for long.” She still remembered the fuss he kicked up when she tried to talk to him about having separate vacations. 
 
“As it should be.” he said to both statements, cuddling her against him as his heart slowed to its normal, calm beat. 
 
“But if I have to be good, so do you.” Kagura said suddenly, her mind changing tracks, luckily Sesshomaru had been with her long enough to understand her sudden leaps of logic.
 
“I will be polite.” 
 
Kagura looked up at him. “No scaring her. No kicking Inuyasha's ass. You should have gotten that out of your system last night, so it's not my problem if you were saving some for round two.”
 
...well, he could always take Inuyasha into the other room. What she didn't know, wouldn't hurt her. 
 
“And try to smile, just a little.”
 
He bared his teeth in a bad attempt at one, knowing it would make her laugh. He lived to make her happy, whether it was through her laughter, or those silly little manuals she wrote. 
 
“Alright, alright, don't smile then.” she nuzzled his neck. “I like you saving all of them for me anyway.”
 
His lips relaxed and he dropped a kiss on her forehead. “May we turn the music off now, or are you still excited?” 
 
Kagura laughed again, “If you really want to I guess-”
 
Sesshomaru was up and back so fast she hadn't even realized he moved until the room was silent. 
 
“I am still excited though. Maybe it's a human thing, but it's nice to have family around. I just want everything to go well.” she said again. 
 
And if that's what she wanted, that's what she would get, even if he had to beat Inuyasha to a pulp.
 
Without her knowing of course. 
 
“Everything will go well.” He said firmly, trying to reassure her.
 
The scent of blood suddenly filled the air before Kagura's sleeve became soaked in it. 
 
“Damn it!” Kagura struggled to get out of her shirt. “This was my favorite top! Damn that asshole!” 
 
Growling under his breath, Sesshomaru sliced the fabric away. “I will buy you a dozen more.” He promised, holding her still to examine the damage. 
 
Her arm was nearly open to the bone with three long slashes, each pouring blood as she shook. Immediately, he bent his head and licked at her gashes, ignoring the way her blood burned like battery acid down his throat. 
 
Normally, when they were just slight wounds, he would merely bandage them while seething. But these sort of injuries could lead to severe damage if he didn't heal them quickly. 
 
“Sess, it's ok, you'll hurt yourself-” Kagura tried to say, her voice tight with pain.
 
He continued. If she was going to suffer, then he would suffer along with her until he could take her pain. 
 
Finally, small white marks were all that remained and Sesshomaru's esophagus was in agony. His vocal cords were blessedly pain free as they had melted away, but he could feel the uncomfortable sensation of them reforming. 
 
“Can I get you anything? Water, milk, some kind of drug to knock you out?” Kagura asked, her voice worried at the pain he was dealing with. “Hell, I'll get a frying pan and whack you over the head with it.”
 
Instead, he just held her closer, waiting the pain out. He was strong and old enough that his body quickly repaired the damage and neutralized the toxins, but it still hurt like a bitch.
 
“Are you alright now?” Kagura quietly asked when it was over, her face turned away from him in shame.
 
He turned her eyes to him with a gentle claw on her chin. “This Sesshomaru is always perfect.” He said with a stone face.
 
She collapsed against him in giggles, just as he intended. “I'm really-”
 
“Do not apologize. It is not your fault.” Sesshomaru stood up with Kagura still tucked in his arms. 
 
“I wasn't apologizing.” She lied quickly. “But we're both covered in blood and they'll be here any minute now-” 
 
Ding
 
“See! They're in the garage now, so we have three minutes, tops, before they're up here!” 
 
Sesshomaru politely waited for her to finish her sentence, before whisking them both off to the huge walk-in closet in their bedroom, quickly tossing her a top that would still match her skirt and jewelry while picking out a new suit for himself. 
 
Slicing the ruined clothes off himself, he watched Kagura pull on her shirt and check her hair, making sure she didn't look like she just had her arm sliced open minutes ago. 
 
When she turned back to him, he was straightening the knot in his tie, his hair already pulled back neatly. The only remainder that something had ever happened at all was the red stain around his mouth. 
 
Pulling out a handkerchief to wipe it away, he eyed Kagura. “As lovely as ever, mate.”
 
Kagura winked back, openly leering. “Hotter then a Tepin pepper like always, Sess.” 
 
When the elevator dinged, announcing that it was heading up to their penthouse suite, Kagura took the arm Sesshomaru offered her.
 
“Alright, let's do this! I'm so excited! I just can't hide it!”
 
As Sesshomaru led Kagura to the elevator doors, he was thankful once again she turned out to be a writer instead of a singer. 
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------
 
“Can you think of anything else I might need to know?” Kagome asked, clutching his hand tighter as the elevator went up. “Is Kagura ugly? Do they prefer hugs or handshakes? Does your brother have some sort of scar I shouldn't stare at too closely?”
 
Inuyasha rolled his eyes, wanting to be annoyed at her for over-thinking, but was sort of endeared by it. “Kagura's alright looking, don't hug or handshake since they're old and weird, and don't look at Sess too closely at all. He might take it as a threat or admiration and will blow up either way.” Plus, he wouldn't like it.
 
Not that he had any right to be bothered. He nearly slammed his head against the elevator wall, the same argument circling around in his head. He didn't want to hurt Kagome. And he was never going to allow someone else to, even his family. But still, he was hesitant to throw 500 years away, though he was starting to doubt he would ever use Kagome like Kikyo wanted him to. But what did that say about him if he had allowed himself to be tricked for so long? It definitely didn't speak well of someone who was supposed to protect and love Kagome.
 
His ears drooped. How could he go to her like this?
 
 
“Ok. Alright-looking, no touching, no looking. Got it.” Kagome nodded firmly, taking a slow breath. “Anything else though?”
 
“If Kagura ever calls for you from another room, whatever you do, don't go.” He shuddered at her curious look. “Don't ask.” 
 
“Right. Well then, remember your promise to be nice!” Kagome reminded as the elevators began to slow. 
 
“Yeah, yeah.” But they better be nice to her first.
 
His head tilted as he struggled to hear the voices coming closer. “Kagura's excited.” He winced at the noise. He really wished she wouldn't be.
 
“Oh, that's good then.” Kagome brightened. 
 
Inuyasha decided not to tell her about what it usually meant when Kagura was excited. It typically meant pain and humiliation on his part. 
 
His thumb stroked Kagome's hand reassuringly as the elevator stopped gently and the doors began to slide open. Kagome melded with him at the last second, not wanting to be alone when she met his family for the first time. 
 
Kagome barely kept her mouth from dropping open. On the other side of the elevator doors stood one of the prettiest, most sophisticated couple she had ever seen. 
 
Sesshomaru Taisho was huge, towering over his petite mate and even Inuyasha. A suit that probably cost more then her house covered a well build frame, every line and button in perfect place. His silver hair was tied at the nape of his neck, showing off the strong structure of his face. He didn't have any noticeable scars, but instead a blue moon blazed on his forehead, red slashes decorating his cheekbones. While he didn't have ears like Inuyasha, their eyes were the same, though where Inuyasha's burned like melting gold, Sesshomaru's hardened into cold, unforgiving rock.
 
If Sesshomaru was hard strength and steel resolve, Kagura was all beauty. Killer heels lifted her up to about Sesshomaru's shoulder, designer clothes fit a body that Huge Hefner would weep over, and jewelry sparkled on her ears, neck, and fingers, all of it simple and elegant, and probably worth more than Kagome would see in her lifetime. Inky black hair flowed down her back, accentuating her sharp chin, delicate nose, and huge brown eyes. There wasn't anything `alright-looking' about her. Kagome resisted the urge to squirm, feeling underdressed and about ten pounds too fat.
 
Knock it off. You're being stupid. 
 
“Yashie!” Kagura grinned, eyeing him up and down while he cringed at the nickname. “We're so glad you guys could make it. Come in, come in!”
 
Yashie?
 
Don't. Ask.
 
“You must be Kagome! Can I call you Kag?” Before she could even take a step, Kagura reached out and linked her arm with Kagome's, nearly yanking her forward. “It's great to meet you. Though I am sorry you're stuck with Inuyasha. Even before the whole Midoriko deal, he wasn't that great of a catch. Had a few identity crises-”
 
“You sicked Jakotsu on me without mentioning he was a guy!” Inuyasha snapped back, ducking when Sesshomaru would have gone for his throat.
 
“Well it's your own fault for not showing more of an interest in your blind date. I would have told you if you'd asked.....probably.” Kagura said, giving him a dismissing hand wave. "And besides, he was nice!"
 
“He stalked for weeks and everytime we crossed paths he would try to kill and/or rub against me! He cut off a piece of my hair, sewed it on a stuffed animal and slept with it for godsakes!”
 
“Anyway, I'm Kagura." she continued to Kagome, compleatly ignoring Inuyasha as he fumed next to her, muttering about 'crazy women'." I'm sorry about the short notice, but once I heard Inuyasha was around, I just knew you would need my help. He's much nicer after you've tortured him a bit.” she patted her hand. “I have a whole book written about it.” 
 
Kagome started to relax, having already gotten used to Kagura's personality after reading her handbook. She wasn't insulting Inuyasha like Kouga had, just…teasing. With a bit of an edge. 
 
This is teasing? You attacked Kouga with books, can't you at least glare at her or something? She set me up with a gay guy! 
 
That was over 500 years ago. In this era, people are a little more tolerant. Besides, she's just treating you like an evil older sister. Trust me, I know.
 
Feh. No wonder Souta likes me more then you.
 
Kagome glared over her shoulder as Inuyasha slunked behind them. “Well, I think I've been doing pretty well myself, but I'd never turn down suggestions.”
 
Kagura crackled. “Now that's my kinda girl! Have you tried crazy glue yet? It's really too bad they didn't have it in my time.”
 
“Hey!” Inuyasha shouted, trying to catch up to them before getting stopped by Sesshomaru's hand at his throat.
 
“You will be polite and make your woman like mine.” Sesshomaru hissed, his eyes flashing red.
 
“Hey! Your female better like mine.” Inuyasha snapped back.
 
“The big hunk back there not killing Inuyasha-” she glanced over her shoulder at Sesshomaru, who reluctantly dropped him, “-is my own mate Sesshomaru. Don't worry, he only looks scary, he really won't hurt, hit, kick, bite, maim, torture, slice n' dice, water board, shatter, rip apart, or kill you or any of your family.” She rattled off like she was reading from a list. “Isn't that right, Sess?”
 
“…Biting is very plebeian.” 
 
Kagome shivered in spite herself. Yeah, that was going to help her sleep tonight. 
 
Sess isn't going to be the one keeping you up at night, mate. 
 
No Super Stud! Kagome fought her blush by looking around the penthouse. “It's really nice to meet you. You have such a lovely home.” 
 
Kagura waved a hand. “Oh it's not much, just what we live in while we're in the city.”
 
If this wasn't `much' she probably didn't want to know what they really lived in. Or how much it cost.
 
The penthouse was still lovely though. The hall from the elevator opened up into a large, modern living room, with soaring ceilings and floor to floor windows on one side of the wall. A literal feast was already spread out for them in front of a large aquarium built into the wall and branching out into another room. Two couches were placed in front of each other, a table with plates, silverware, and napkins in between them. The only thing in the room that didn't really fit were the backward canvases leaning against a wall.
 
The bright colors of the fish tank catching his eye, Inuyasha wandered closer, absently grabbing a deviled egg and popping it in his mouth. “What's the deal with the weird one?” he asked between bits of yolk, looking closely at the goldfish with a bulging eye and mismatched fins. 
 
“Oh, that's just Goldy, our `special' fish.” Kagura pulled Kagome down on one of the couches next to her, Sesshomaru standing across from her. “We call him Inuyasha for short.”
 
Be nice! Kagome warned when Inuyasha sputtered. It just means they've been thinking of you all these years.
 
And how the hell is Inuyasha short for Goldy? 
 
Sesshomaru pushed him down to sit on the couch, his claws prickling his shoulder warningly. “Be polite.” he warned again.
 
“Feh, be polite yourself, asshole. You still haven't said a word to Kagome.” Inuyasha shot back. 
 
Sesshomaru's face tightened, and Kagura nodded encouragingly at him.
 
He looked at Kagome. “Be polite to Kagura as well.” 
 
“Sess!”  Kagura groaned while Inuyasha growled. “Just ignore him, I've got a book on how to torture him as well.” she glared at him. “So, business or food first?”
 
Inuyasha looked up from where he was licking crumbs off his claws. 
 
Kagura rolled her eyes. “Just as a warning Kag, demons are first and foremost, men.”
 
“But still no average Joe, right?” Kagome smiled. 
 
Kagura's gasp was loud even to send Inuyasha's ears burrowing under his hair. “You've read my book!” she beamed. “Did you like it? Was it helpful? Some people complained it was too flippant, but I can't stand taking some of these stuffy demons seriously. Besides, most humans are scared enough once they understand what they're in for, they need a few laughs.” 
 
“I really liked it.” Kagome said honestly. “I definitely needed the laughs after the day I had.”
 
“Oh don't worry chickadee, we'll be talking about how much Inuyasha has screwed up, but first…” Kagura's arm snapped up with a pen. “I'm available for autographs!” 
 
Sesshomaru stared at Kagura, his brow lifting slightly. 
 
“Chill out Sess and get some food, we have plenty of time for that. Awww, you brought it with you! I had a feeling I would like you.” Kagura accepted the book Kagome held out, flipping through the pages. “Ooooo, an earlier edition. That's weird, I'm really strict about only selling the latest versions on the website.” She tapped the cover with her pen. “Where'd you get this one?” 
 
“A friend who's also a mate.” Kagome ignored Inuyasha's growl. 
 
“Lucky you, most new human mates are pretty alone.” Kagura tossed the books aside. “But still, that one's old. Let me get you the newest copy-”
 
“Later.” Inuyasha interrupted. “We didn't come here for that.”
 
Kagura sniffed, getting up. “Of course. You didn't come for a nice meet-and-greet lunch with your favorite sister-in-law, did you.” She sighed, and after snagging a cheese puff, Sesshomaru plucked Inuyasha off the couch, ignoring his curses as Kagura sat herself down in his seat. “Fine, let's get down to business. But then I demand girl time. But not with you this time Yashie, just Kag.”
 
Grumbling, Inuyasha picked up a meat and cheese platter before sitting down next to Kagome, making sure their legs and shoulders were touching. Sesshomaru finally sat down next to Kagura, resting his arm on the back of the couch so she could curl into his side like a cat. 
 
“I have been told your mate requested a trial on Inuyasha's behalf.” Sesshomaru cooly looked Kagome over, not looking to impressed with what he saw. “Is this correct?' 
 
Kagome sat up straighter, a determined tilt to her chin. Let me handle this, Inuyasha. “That's correct. Inuyasha is innocent. His entire imprisonment and current reputation is based on one woman's biased, wrong, opinion. His name needs to be cleared.”
 
Inuyasha's pride engulfed her. Ah, mate. I don't deserve this.
 
Well too bad. You're getting it.
 
Sesshomaru mockingly lifted a brow. “Are you so sure of his innocence?” 
 
Well duh. Would she be having this conversation otherwise? “Yes. Inuyasha did not do whatever Midoriko accused of him.” 
 
“What is your evidence?” 
 
Finally! Now she could use something from all those CSI shows she forced Inuyasha to watch. “Well, first of all, you can't prove he did or didn't do it. There's only four people who know what happened that day, Inuyasha, Kikyo, Midoriko, and Sango. Two of those people are dead, Inuyasha was never questioned, and Sango's opinion was discarded. Aside from Kikyo `claiming' he forced her to try to steal the jewel, no one saw or heard him do this.” 
 
Kagura blinked, “Wait, two of those people are dead…?” 
 
They probably didn't know Sango was alive. “Sango the demonslayer, Midoriko's apprentice, was turned into a demon and sealed away into a sword. She's living with her mate here in the city. I recently helped her and saw her memories from that time.”
 
Kagura's mouth dropped. “Sango is still alive?” She looked at Sesshomaru. “So that's what happened to her after Midoriko's death!” 
 
Kagome pressed on. “I saved her life, so I might be able to convince her to stand as a witness. She defended Inuyasha, and you can see from her memory that Midoriko didn't listen to her and blindly took Kikyo's word.”
 
“Impartial bias.” Sesshomaru cooly shot down. “Do you have any more `proof'?”
 
Kagome hesitated.
 
It's ok mate, you've done more for me then anyone else has. I don't need my name cleared, it's enough that I'm out of that damned mirror.
 
Her shoulder's tightened. “I hear voices telling me Inuyasha is innocent.”
 
…Really, you can stop now
 
Kagura blinked. “Come again?”
 
Kagome struggled to explain so she didn't sound like a complete lunatic. “When it comes to Inuyasha, I hear…something or someone. Usually, they're warning me when he's lying or feeling guilty, and they've never said a word when Inuyasha's said he's innocent. They're almost like…instincts, or intuition.” She paused. “I sort of assumed it was a mate thing.”
 
Kagura and Sesshomaru look at each other. Her nails bit warningly into his arm when his head tilted to the side. 
 
You haven't mentioned this either. 
 
She shrugged. I thought I was going crazy. But…I'm starting to trust them. 
 
“Normally a mate's opinion about her demon is discounted. It is obvious that one will do and say anything to save the other.” Sesshomaru explained. 
 
“But you're one of those weird cases I mentioned in the handbook.” Kagura finished for him. “It's not a `mate thing' to hear any voice but your demons.” 
 
Kagome went cold. Was she turning as crazy as her mother then?
 
Hey! Don't say that. You're fine, you're just…special.
 
She managed a small smile. Like Inuyasha the Special Fish?
 
Feh. You're going to be bringing that up for awhile, aren't you?
 
“It will be discussed later.” Sesshomaru decided. “Are you certain this is what you want? Courts of law in the demonic world are not like yours, Miss. Higurashi.”
 
Kagome glanced at Inuyasha, who was carefully looking everywhere but at her. “What are they like then?”
 
Kagura tsked. “Yashie, Yashie. Haven't you told your mate anything important?”
 
“Feh, it's been 500 years. For all I know, the accused gets to skip through fields of daisies while singing nursery rhymes.” Inuyasha defended. 
 
“You were imprisoned for far too long if you could ever think our court system could change that much.” Sesshomaru shrugged regally, the first movement he had made since sitting. “It is true the demonic community has grown slightly…kinder after interacting invisibly with humans for so long, but we are still a cruel, blood thirsty race.” 
 
For a quick moment, he rubbed a piece of Kagura's hair between his fingers, needing the contact. “We have adopted some of humanity's rules. We put on a trial of sorts. Each party receives the opportunity to defend themselves, question the other side, and state their case before a panel of demons. After that is finished however, the tribunal still makes the final judgement.”
 
“Ah fuck. They're still around?” Inuyasha groaned.
 
Kagura held up a hand. “Let me explain this, human-ish to human-ish.” She leaned over Sess to get another cheese puff before looking at Kagome. “The tribunal is a council of five demons. They decide what you have to do to prove your innocence.” Kagura paused, searching for the right words. “You have to understand, even though it's weird and sort of stupid. Demons are very visual, action-oriented creatures. Talking's got its place, but they need to see someone prove their innocence to believe them. If the demon in question is really innocent, then he'll do anything to clear his name. So they usually give them some insane task. Usually fighting someone, or going on a quest. It doubles as punishment as well.”
 
Kagome blinked. “That's so stupid. If you have to fight someone to survive, anyone is going to give it their all.” 
 
Kagura shrugged, ignoring the looks the demons in the room were giving her. “Hey, tell it to them, not me.” 
 
Inuyasha looked at Sesshomaru. “Do you always let her talk like that?”
 
Sesshomaru remained silent. He had given up on explaining to Kagura the tradition and importance of the tribunal. It just seemed to encourage her more.
 
Clutching his arm, Kagome turned to Inuyasha. “Would you have to do that if we went through with this trial?” She knew he wasn't weak, but she didn't want him hurt either.
 
“Could you do something, Sesshomaru?” Kagura asked.
 
Sesshomaru considered her, but only because she sent him that slightly crestfallen look she knew he hated. “I cannot announce Inuyasha's name cleared. The demon community despises him too much to accept him. If he is serious about proving his innocence, the trial would be the most effective way. If I am so inclined, I may attempt to claim a seat at the tribunal table.”
 
Kagura immediately beamed. “Thank you Sess!” 
 
Kagome swallowed. She hadn't realized getting a trial together would be so complicated. “I want to clear Inuyasha's name, but I don't want him hurt either.”
 
“There's no guarantee Inuyasha would have to get a sentence like that from the tribunal, they might just clear him.” But Kagura didn't sound too optimistic. 
 
Inuyasha took her hand when her nails started digging into his arm, holding it as he considered his options. He'd only ever seen one tribunal ruling, and it hadn't been pretty. Someone had definitely died, the other one left so injured there was permanent damage.  But he wanted to be a worthy male for Kagome. To make up for his past decisions. And if he proved himself this way, maybe he would be. 
 
“I want to do it.” Inuyasha said suddenly, decision made. “Set it up.”
 
Inuyasha, you already are worthy. You don't have anything to prove to me!
 
Instantly guilt swamped him, and he just barely resisted the urge to turn away from her in shame. Not yet he wasn't. 
 
“You sure?” Kagura pushed. “You're free now, and neither of us want you to go back into the mirror. Do you really need your name cleared?”
 
“Yes.” For Kagome, he did. 
 
“Very well.” Sesshomaru pulled out a piece of paper from nowhere before Kagome could say a word. “The trial will take place on November 18.” 
 
Kagome bit her lip. “That soon?” 
 
Kagura snorted, “Oh trust me, when demons hear it's Inuyasha's trial, it won't be soon enough for them. Hell, we probably could have thrown something together tonight, but we need some time for the tribunal to form.” 
 
Inuyasha, I'm not sure about this.
 
You were so eager for this, and not you're unsure? Trust me mate. I want to do this. He needed to do this. 
 
I would never forgive myself if you were hurt. Or killed. She shuddered. They had their problems, but she didn't want him dead. 
 
Sesshomaru signed the paper, before folding it and sliding it into his coat pocket. “You will come back for the location and time.” He said at Kagura's look.
 
She clapped her hands. “We can have another brunch!” She resettled back against Sesshomaru, ignoring Kagome's worried expression. “Don't worry chickadee, we have lots of other things for you fret about!” 
 
She leaned in, “Now then. Let's talk about those voices.”