InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Summon a Mate ❯ November 9: Luncheon ( Chapter 19 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

AN: Lots of things are happening in this chapter! (15 pages worth!) Be sure to review for me. :)
 
Lunabell: Ha, you think that was bad? Just wait to see what happens to Kagome next.
 
SplendentGoddess: Gray means wavering. Or bored. But you can guess which one Inuyasha is at right now. Everything else, you'll find out this chapter. :)
 
Unistar: Don't worry, you're about to sort of find out what Kagura and Sess are planning! But mostly you'll finally get some answers.
 
Inu_lover_2004: Teehee. Oh, you just wait.
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha and I am making no money off this story.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------
 
November 9: Luncheon
 
“...what the fuck?” 
 
“Language, Inuyasha!” Sesshomaru snapped, stepping in front of Kagura protectively. 
 
“Seriously? You're going to ride my ass about cursing when your mate has that on her neck?” Inuyasha asked, incredulous. 
 
“Inuyasha!” Kagome gasped. Don't make me use the "S" word
 
Inuyasha reflexively grabbed the necklace hidden under his shirt, glowering at his own mate. Thank fucking God that's MY mark on your hand. I can't even think about another demon getting their grubby claws on you. It makes me sick to my stomach. And nearly insane with rage. “I saw you melding, how could you not be mated?”
 
“We have been together for centuries.” Sesshomaru pointed out, “I do not need to read her mind to know what she is thinking, and watch your tone around my mate, little brother," he said as his arms tensed once more in preparation of shoving his brother's face into the floor....or through it.
 
“It's fine, guys.” Kagura sounded defeated. She let go of her hair, the strands covering the hated mark before turning back around. “God knows I've cursed enough about it.” 
 
Kagome glanced back and forth between them, confused. “I'm sorry, I don't understand what's going on. You're Sesshomaru's mate, but...your mark is a spider? I thought it was supposed to be a moon.”
 
“The moon is Sesshomaru's symbol yes.” Kagura sighed. “But the spider is the mark of Naraku.”
 
Kagome's eyes went wide. “That evil guy?”
 
“Yes, that evil guy.” Kagura dropped back down onto the couch, Sesshomaru following. “Ok, history time for the semi-human.” 
 
She popped a cheese puff into her mouth, chewing without her normal gusto. “You remember from the handbook the story about how the angels became demons. Sesshomaru, his dad, and Naraku led the rebellion, got kicked out of heaven, and were turned into demons. They were punished and kept tame by bonding them to one person. Blah, blah, blah, you know the basic logistics of it, right?” 
 
Kagome nodded, remembering the section well. “Mates are the people demons can get pregnant and can control the mind meld. They're chosen by God.” she recited from memory. 
 
“Righty-o. But what I was careful not to mention in the handbook is that the mate demons can get pregnant doesn't have to be the woman chosen by God.”
 
Inuyasha listened closely, dread growing. 
 
Kagome's forehead furrowed. “But you said-”
 
“Look, the lovely, emotional connection thing is great for the final mating, but all it takes is the demon's saliva to start prepping your basket for some eggs. Sometimes not even that if you're his real mate and the demon is insanely old. But if you're not the person God intended for the demon to end up with and you mate them anyway, you can get some real rotten eggs.” she paused. “Let me give you some background to see if I can clarify.” 
 
She leaned forward, getting into the story. “So right after God laid down the new law of the land, the leaders,” Kagura indicated Sess with a nod, “were still pissed about getting kicked out, the change in status and getting saddled with a bunch of lame human mates. So they were still determined to overthrow God and win control of the world and the remote control from Him. But then Inu no Taisho met his mate, Izayoi. She was awesome and got him wrapped around her finger in no time. With Inu no Taisho crazy over her, he was grateful to God for giving her to him, and terrified that following through on revenge would lose him his mate. So he forbad everyone from fighting back against their punishment and encouraged demons to go out and find their own mates.”
 
“There's no way Naraku was happy about that.” Kagome guessed.
 
“He was super ticked off, but there wasn't much he could do. He couldn't convince anyone to back his plan, and even he wasn't powerful enough to go against Inu no Taisho and Sess. He tried to change Inu no Taisho's mind, but nothing he said or did could persuade Inu no Taisho to rebel again. The first time, he had gotten him with power and glory, but now that he had a mate, he wasn't budging. He wouldn't risk Izayoi's life for anything.”
 
She paused to drink something, getting ready to go off into lecture-mode. “Naraku got scared when Inuyasha was born. He knew Inu no Taisho was already tired of him plotting to rebel against God again, and worried he might one day try it even without Inu no Taisho's or Sesshomaru's backing. Concerned that Inu no Taisho might declare war on him, just to make extra sure that his newborn son was safe, Naraku attacked him first, using Izayoi as a shield. He ended up killing both of them and fleeing.” 
 
Kagome gasped. What an asshole! I'm so sorry you lost your parents that way.
 
Yeah. It sucks. He had heard the story before, more or less, and had already come to terms with it. Realizing it this way though made him seriously want to re-kill Naraku.
 
But still, he wouldn't have waited to take care of the bastard when his first son was born. He would have gone after him while Kag was tucked away safely in his bed. No way anyone was hurting her, even if it hadn't occurred to them yet. 
 
“So years passed and Naraku laid low, hiding from Sess, who was ruling and dealing with his brother. The only way he had been able to kill Inu no Taisho was because he used his mate against him, he wouldn't be that lucky with Sesshomaru. So he waited. Until I came along.”
 
Sesshomaru stretched his arm over the back of the couch, silently giving support to Kagura if she needed it. 
 
She leaned against him gratefully. “Sesshomaru found me...I'm not sure about the timeline, but Inuyasha wasn't a baby anymore.” she looked over for confirmation.
 
He shrugged. “I guess I was fourteen in human years.”
 
“Something like that. I remember you were a brat.” She shook her head, getting her mind back on the story. “I wasn't happy about being a mate. I wanted to write and travel and enjoy my freedom, not be a baby making machine. So I led Sess on one hell of a chase.” A small grin touched her mouth. 
 
She's right. You can't believe how funny it was. She had him running up and down the country. He's one of the most powerful demons around, and even he had a hard time keeping up with her.
 
 Kagura laid her hand over Sesshomaru's thigh, knowing the next part was hard for him. “While I was running wild and unmated, Naraku decided to come back into play. Sess had heard rumors of him roaming around, so he left me alone to go try and track Naraku down.”
 
Oh God, I don't like the sound of this. Kagome's hand crept into Inuyasha's. 
 
Me either. His hand squeezed hers, holding on tightly. “Wait, you left her alone?” Inuyasha asked incredulously, her words sinking through. That did not sound like the brother he knew. The Sesshomaru he knew would have locked Kagura away in his palace, surrounded by guards of demons and mikos if he had to go away for even a day. He would not have left her alone.
 
Kagura glared at Inuyasha. “Hey! It wasn't his fault, jerk!” she snapped. “I was pissed at him already for doing everything possible to claim me publicly. Messengers, banners, announcements, you would not believe how much he OD'd it.” she complained.
 
Only after she had pissed him off by flirting with some guy. He wanted to make sure everyone knew she belonged to him. I think he even had it painted on her house.
 
But Sesshomaru could have branded his name into her forehead and Inuyasha still wouldn't have understood the reasoning behind leaving her by herself. “So? He did what he had to do.”
 
Kagome sent him a look. You ever `do what you have to do' to me, and we're going to have major problems.
 
Feh. You'll be alive and mine to have problems with, won't you?
 
“I woke up to find one of my favorite kimonos ruined with Sesshomaru's name all over it!” Kagura growled. “If he had put me under lock and key I would have clawed his face off!”
 
Sesshomaru internally winced, remembering that. He realized that while he thought his actions were perfectly understandable, it had upset Kagura. 
 
Besides, he had needed his face. Even if Kagura had been denying it, he knew she thought his demonic marks were sexy. He needed every little advantage he could with her, which is why he had left her three new outfits and some space. In hindsight, he should have given her five new kimonos and put her under guard like his instincts had demanded.
 
He looked coldly at his brother instead of explaining that. “I was attempting an action called sensitivity.” 
 
Kagome chocked, her jaw dropping. Sensitivity? He's about as sensitive as a fat joke. 
 
Snorting, Inuyasha slapped his hand over his mouth, trying to hold his laughter.
 
Kagura glared at both of them. “Anyway, Sess went off, having been informed of rumors about where Naraku was sighted. `course, those were wrong but we didn't know it yet.”
 
Sesshomaru's arm curled around Kagura's shoulder, tucking her underneath his shoulder as if he could block her from her past. “I didn't realize the danger I had put myself in by denying Sesshomaru's claim until it was too late. I hardly even remember being attacked, one minute I was scribbling on a scroll at home, the next Naraku has his fangs buried in my neck, his disgusting tongue licking over the wound.” She shuddered, leaving out the part about how sometimes in her dreams she could still feel the horrible pain being relieved as the mark spread across her neck. Even Sesshomaru couldn't stop her tears then.
 
“With the first leader of the rebellion out of the way and unable to go against him, Naraku was going to use me to control Sesshomaru. With Inu no Taisho gone, and having claimed me, he could have turned Sess into his puppet. `Do this or Kagura suffers'. `Order the demons to do this or Kagura gets hurt'. `Listen to me or Kagura will bare my evil children'. Sess wouldn't have been able to kill Naraku since it would have killed me, but Naraku could slice and dice either of us up, transferring the wounds to me and hardly feel a thing.”
 
Kagome's nails bit into Inuyasha's hand. Like with my ribs! You barely felt Kouga's kick at all, but when I was connected to you, it cracked them. 
 
“Hold up, if Sess couldn't kill Naraku because it would kill you...” Inuyasha's eyes widened. “You asshole! You lied to me about killing Naraku!”
 
“Do not interrupt.” Sesshomaru ordered, his eyes hard as ice. Kagome shivered from his cold tone, making a mental note not to piss him off. 
 
Kagura squeezed Sesshomaru's thigh gratefully, her sad look turned sly. “However, Naraku was an idiot and didn't even think that Sess could be smarter then his father. Once he realized what had happened, he rounded up Midoriko, raced over to save Naraku, considering I was already doing my best to drive him out of his mind, and while he was distracting Naraku, Midoriko did what she does best, worked some magic, and bam. Naraku is trapped into what rumors will name, the sacred jewel.”
 
“Like Inuyasha and the mirror?” Kagome asked.
 
“Pretty much. Midoriko was sure to set him up with some nice digs though so he couldn't link up with me and make me too uncomfortable. But containing him in the jewel kept him from going conquering-the-world crazy. Remember the section I had on binding prayer beads? It's sort of like that, except without the extreme side effects since the object isn't religious. It dampened his powers so he can't keep me in constant agony, and he's too pissed off to kill himself to spite Sesshomaru.” She could tell the few times she picked up on his emotions. He was desperate for his revenge. “So the blood Yashie picked up on was Naraku busying himself by clawing up my arm just before you guys showed up. I guess he gets awfully bored stuck in the jewel.”
 
Kagura looked at Sess, frowning. “I feel like I've forgotten something.” 
 
“I can not kill Naraku while he is bound to Kagura. Containing him within the jewel while I search for a method to safely kill him was and is my best option.” Sesshomaru said for Kagura. “I have hidden him away in my treasury, reporting that he is dead and Kagura is my mate. You will not say differently.” 
 
“So why did you lie to me?” Inuyasha needed to know, not acknowledging his brother's warning. 
 
“Because you were hooked up with Kikyo.” Kagura said bluntly. “I had a bad feeling about that chick. She didn't react right when the news about Naraku's `death' reached her. As a miko, she should have been relieved that such a baddy was out of the way. Instead she was...confused. Then she started to chase after you.”
 
Inuyasha went cold. 
 
Oh, Inuyasha. Kagome placed her free hand over his, offering him her support.
 
I can't Kag, give me a minute. He ripped away from her, unable to handle being connected to her right now. 
 
She looked compassionately at him, giving him the space he needed. 
 
Kagura wasn't quite right. Kikyo hadn't `chased' him immediately after Naraku's death. But he had started seeing her, around the palace and in and out of the West. She always made sure to strike up a conversation with him, flattering him and singling him out from the others. He was already an important person, being related to Sesshomaru, so he was used to people sucking up to him. But he was awestruck by Kikyo. She was so powerful, so beautiful. She should have been paying attention to his older brother, not Inuyasha.
 
But he had gotten confident the more she had approached him. In two or three years, he had surprised himself by making a move. She had shyly accepted. And that was that. Soon he was convinced he was in love with her, even though he knew she wasn't meant to be his. But she started to tell him she knew a way they could be together forever. His brother owned a powerful jewel that could forge the binds between them. She could be his mate. He just had to get her into the treasury. So while she was searching for the jewel, he was picking out wedding rings, hoping to surprise her. Instead, he was sucked into a prison for 500 years.
 
He was hoping it had all been coincidence, especially since he thought Naraku was dead. But had Kikyo used him?
 
His claws dug into his thigh, wanting to rip something apart. He should have known. Especially when Kagome showed him the memory from Sango. But did that mean Kikyo was working with Naraku? How could she possibly know him though? Naraku had been on the run since before she had been born. 
 
“I'm still confused.” Kagome pointed out, trying to draw everyone's attention away from Inuyasha.
 
“Let me try again then.” Kagura thought for a moment. “The mate thing is mostly a punishment for demons after the rebellion. The demons are compatible with only one woman, the woman they're meant to be with. It was meant to knock their egos into check and keep them grounded on Earth and out of trouble instead of out right killing them. However, the big guy is all about choices, and free will. So while the demon is encouraged and expected to pair up with his chosen mate, to accept his fate meekly instead of trying to make his own...he can be an idiot and chose not to. He can place the first mark on a woman who is not his mate, and have a life with her. But he can never truly be with her. The final mating ritual is when the demon and his mate have sex while mind melding with each other. That won't work with a non-mate because the non-mate won't be able to push the demon out of her mind if she refuses the mating. It won't be balanced. The non-mate has no way to say yes or no.”
 
Kagura stopped to chomp down on another cheese puff. “Plus, the kids turn out really freaky.” 
 
Kagome blinked. “...say again?” 
 
“I mentioned it in one of the very first paragraphs of my book. I mean, I was careful to leave the fake mate stuff out to avoid giving people ideas. But demons, who are essentially fallen angels, have very different insides then humans. We're talking inter-species relationships here. Normally, opposites can't get preggers at all, or they make something stupid like a mule. Demonic sperm especially doesn't work well within their own, new, bodies, and it wrecks havoc on human women. God might be giving demons a choice in who they mate, but that doesn't mean He's going to be making things easy for them. A demon's true mate is the only match for him, mentally, emotionally, and physically. They're the only one's who can birth normal babies. They're internally the only ones who can properly have their demon's baby, and only because God tinkered around with them. He doesn't have the time to do that for every last woman that gets born. So the one's who are stupid and mate with someone else? Super creepy, scary, babies.”
 
“A Nephillim.” Sesshomaru finished for her.
 
Kagura rolled her eyes, knowing Sesshomaru got a kick out of pronouncing that word when he knew she couldn't. “And before you ask why the demon's didn't get busy making lots of creepy babies, it took awhile for them to get settled on earth. They were used to their cushy lives in heaven. The change in altitude alone made them sick for awhile, and they had to get used to their new bodies and new home. While they were adjusting, angels went around getting the miko's stronger and the demonslayers ready to keep the balance between the demons and the humans. They were expecting a lot of problems, but luckily Inu no Taisho found Izayoi pretty quickly.” 
 
“Why didn't you mention any of this in the handbook?” Kagome asked. It might have been helpful to know about all of this earlier... 
 
“Most new mates aren't as weird as you.” Kagura pointed out dryly. “It's pretty much routine. They get their mates under control fast and everything's cool. You're only getting this much background because of the spider mark.” she snorted. “Trust Inuyasha to be difficult.” 
 
“Oi!” he snapped, though his mind was whirling with other things.
 
“So if Naraku was loose, you could have ended up...pregnant?” 
 
Sesshomaru's eyes flashed red, and immediately Inuyasha was crouched on the table in front of Kagome, snarling.
 
“Hey!” Kagura snapped, climbing into Sesshomaru's lap. “Heel!” 
 
Blocking Sesshomaru's glare with her head, and staring Inuyasha down until he reluctantly backed down and settled in close next to Kagome, Kagura looped an arm around Sess's neck. “Yeah. I could have. But I won't.” she directed at Sess, petting his hair. “Because of Sess's quick thinking, I only deal with a boo-boo every couple of days when Naraku is especially pissed off. It was my stubbornness that got us all into this situation.” 
 
Sesshomaru growled softly, draping his hand over her thighs to hold her securely. 
 
“But what does my mark mean?” Panic quickly welled up in her. “I'm not mated to him too, right?” 
 
Kagura shook her head quickly. “No way in hell. There's just no possible way. Sess was just at the treasury a couple of days ago and the jewel was all snug and secure. Your family line is the only one who can release him, so he's still sealed away. And you can't have more than one mate. So you're safe from him. But as for the marks.” she shook her head. “We're just not sure. I promised Sess we wouldn't discuss any of our theories with you until we have something solid. I don't want to scare you by telling you one thing and finding out something better or worse. So you're just going to have to come back!” she added cheerfully, leaning forward to open a drawer in the table. 
 
She pulled paper and pencil out, pulling out of Sess's arms to sit on the floor and use his legs to lean against. “You're not in any danger.” she soothed, starting to draw Kagome's mark out so she could refer to it later. “Just give me some time to research a bit. I'll have an answer as soon as I find one. Trust me, you won't find a better fact checker. Writer's make the best looker-uppers.”
 
Kagome chewed on her lip, not wanting to wait but not seeing much of a choice. At least she couldn't complain about the food.
 
“But what did Sesshomaru mean, about me maybe being more then a miko?” Kagome pressed, determined to get something.
 
Ignoring Sesshomaru's eyes boring into the back of her head, Kagura's pencil never slowed as she focused on tracing the design. He could explain that one. Give him a chance to practice his social skills. 
 
“Naraku can not die while he is connected to Kagura.” Sesshomaru finally said. “You are the strongest miko in your family since Midoriko. Perhaps you will be of use to us.” 
 
For a single moment, he looked weary. “I have studied for centuries to find an answer. I am close. I suspect you are the key.” 
 
Kagura's mouth went tight before Inuyasha could get outraged. “I keep telling you, we have the key.” 
 
Kagome jumped when Sesshomaru's snarl vibrated through the room, grabbing Inuyasha's arm reflexively. “We. Do. Not.” he said coldly.
 
Slamming the pencil down on the table, Kagura pushed herself up. “We do too!” she shot back. “If you weren't being so touchy about this-”
 
“I allowed harm to befall you once, it will not happen again. Even if it rid us of Naraku!” Sesshomaru stood, towering menacingly over his petite mate. 
 
“With Tenseiga there wouldn't be any harm-”
 
“No harm?” Sesshomaru repeated mockingly, “No harm?” 
 
“We'll get some painless poison! It won't be anything at all!”
 
“You would be dead!” Sesshomaru bellowed, breaking his ice prince shell for the first time. “That will never happen. Death will never touch you. He may not release you.”
 
“To free myself and finally kill Naraku makes it a necessary risk!”
 
“Not if I lose you, you foolish woman!” 
 
Kagome's mouth was hanging open while Sesshomaru and Kagura glared at each other, bodies tense and anger practically radiating off them. Even Inuyasha's rage faded slightly as he watched them, startled by their fight. 
 
Swallowing nervously, Kagome squared her shoulders. “I have no idea what you two are talking about, but I don't want Kagura to die. So I'll help you in any way I can.” 
 
“The fuck you are!” Inuyasha drew back, pissed all over again. “What if whatever Sess makes you do, kills you?” And he knew Sesshomaru was ruthless enough about Kagura that he would happily endanger Kagome without thought. And now that he knew he'd never even had Kikyo, he sure as hell wasn't gonna risk Kagome. He was still confused and angry and sad of all the stupid things to be feeling, but there was no way in hell Kagome was getting messed up in all of this. 
 
Kagome glowered, attitude all over her face. “Hey, I'm tough and strong!” she lied. “I'm a miko and I'll do anything for family. And besides, you'll be with me.” she added, almost as an afterthought. Like it was so obvious she wasn't sure it even needed mentioning. 
 
Inuyasha refused to look down, worried he might see himself melt into a puddle even while he puffed with pride. Kag was really something.
 
She still wasn't getting involved though. No fucking way in hell would he allow it. 
 
Kagura beamed. “Thatta girl!” she cheered. “And don't worry, Sess won't ask anything dangerous.” she threw a glare in at Sesshomaru to emphasize her point. 
 
He only lifted an eyebrow arrogantly, definitely not agreeing. He would do anything for Kagura, as he had proved over and over again. Using Kagome might make him feel a little twinge of something unpleasant, but he would be able to sleep at night if Kagura was tucked right in beside him.
 
Inuyasha might finally have the incentive to truly attack him though. But if worse came to worse, he could always bring them back with Tenseiga. They were young enough that it wouldn't be a problem. 
 
It was not the case for Kagura where she would have died around if not for Naraku's claim. Once that was gone, she would rapidly age and literally crumble away into dust. She might not have a body for him to bring back. Or her binds to Naraku would not be severed. There are some things even Death cannot touch. He might end up bringing them both back. 
 
In spite of all that, Sesshomaru could not handle Kagura's death. So he would never allow it.
 
Kagura dropped back onto the couch, letting go of her anger. They would fight about it some more later, like that had for the last 500 years. “So...I think we've covered everything there is to be covered, yeah? I dunno, did I miss anything?”
 
Kagome quickly held up a hand, like she in school. “There's just one thing. Doesn't Inuyasha need documents? Like a birth certificate, school records, etc? I mean, he's been locked away for 500 years. He needs some kind of proof he exists so he can live in this era.”
 
“Ooooo, good point.” Kagura glanced at Sess, knowing he was making a mental note about it. “We've got people, don't worry about it. Next time you stop by we'll have lots of goodies for you.”
 
“What about for Sango?” Kagome brought up.
 
“Oh right!” Kagura thought for a moment. “Yeah, we should be nice. Plus, she's got centuries of interest on the last paycheck she didn't pick up. We'll take care of it. So...anything else?”
 
No one replied, which she took to mean no. 
 
Kagura smirked, rubbing her hands together. Finally! They could get to the really good stuff now!
 
Popping one last cheese puff in her mouth, she slowly strolled over to where the canvas's against the wall had been waiting for her all afternoon. 
 
“So Kag,” she began casually. “Did you guys exchange sucky childhood stories yet? Have a contest about whose was the worst?”
 
“Um...” Kagome and Inuyasha looked at each other, confused by the sudden change in topics. “Not really.”
 
Considering for a moment, she selected the painting of Inuyasha taking a nap....or well, knocked out by a little something she put in his drink. The painting depicted the makeover she had given him that day while he was unconscious...
 
“Well since Yashie grew up with Sess and me, prepare to lose.” 
 
Scarily enough, even Sesshomaru cracked a minuscule smile. 
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------
 
Kagome forced herself to breath evenly, fighting for control. 
 
Inuyasha sat glumly next to her in the limo, carefully not looking at her. 
 
She felt a small grin form, even as she tried to hide her trembling chin from Inuyasha.
 
Licking her lips, she gave up, unable to resist as hard as she tried. “So Inuyasha. I understand now why you grabbed my summer dress the first time you went out. It must have been nice to have been wearing something so familiar.” 
 
Inuyasha snarled as Kagome finally exploded into laughter. “Goddamn it Kagome! I was five, I didn't know any better!” Stupid Sesshomaru and his stupid memory...
 
“Fair enough, but I have to admit, you really do look good in pink-” she trailed off into giggles again, holding her sides.
 
“Yeah, well at least I'm not ticklish.” Before she could move, Inuyasha had pounced and she was on her back, a demon crouched over her with his claws skimming up and down her ribs.
 
She squealed, wiggling under him. “Inuyasha!” she gasped in between laughs.
 
“You shouldn't be making fun of your mate.” Inuyasha pinned her legs down when she almost kicked him. 
 
“But you make it so easy-” He attacked the back of her knee with one hand, sliding under her arm with the other.
 
“Ok, mercy, mercy!” she begged. “I'll shut up.”
 
“Feh. Good.” Inuyasha hooked his arm under her waist to haul her up next to him. “Souta better not hear about any of this either.”
 
Kagome rolled her eyes. “Like he would believe me.” she settled down, stretching her legs out along the seats. She let her purse drop to the floor, heavy with the new handbook Kagura had given her. She had plans to go through it as soon as they got home. “I really like your family though. Kagura is awesome. Sesshomaru...will eventually be endearing.” Once he was less scary anyway.
 
“Sesshomaru is an asshole, you don't have to sugar coat it.” He absently picked up her hand and started playing with her fingers. She had really nice hands. 
 
“So tell me more about this...Tenseiga?” Kagome would have asked them herself, but once they started talking about Inuyasha's childhood, it hadn't seemed like the right time to bring it up. “What is it? They never really explained.”
 
“Tenseiga is Sesshomaru's sword. All the original angels have one. The majority of the sword's powers were stripped once the angels got kicked out. All Sess can do is bring people back from the dead.” 
 
“Oh, that's `all' it can do?” Kagome repeated. That sounded pretty good to her. Maybe Sesshomaru could have brought her father back if he hadn't been rotting in the ground for eight months. 
 
“He can't kill with it, which really pissed him off. It also didn't bring Dad back from the dead since it only works on humans. It didn't work on Mom either either, so he locked it away. I doubt he's tried to use it since.” Inuyasha quickly explained. 
 
Kagome nodded. She wouldn't want it either if it couldn't help her loved ones. “Thank you so much Inuyasha, for being...as nice as you possibly could. I really enjoyed myself.  Even with the weird new mark popping up.” She rested her head against his shoulder. “If anyone can find an answer, I bet it'll be them.” 
 
“They better.” he growled, “I don't like you having a spider mark on your hand.” 
 
“Yeah, I picked up on that.” Kagome pointed out dryly. 
 
“Mine should be the only one there.” he grumbled, feeling restless. He felt strange...changed somehow. He was unsure and confused. He didn't like it. He would just be glad to get home. Kag was still hiding her healed ribs from her family, so he would get to take care of her and her brother when he got home from school. He wasn't crazy about the chores, but he liked feeling that someone was dependent on him. He was needed and useful. He could make Kag's life a little easier.
 
“Don't worry, it's the most important one.” she soothed, staring out the window. 
 
Finally the limo pulled up to the shrine hill, and Inuyasha helped Kagome out before it drove away, leaving them at the steps. 
 
“I could use a nap after that.” Kagome yawned, starting to drag herself up the stairs. 
 
“This is your warning, mate.” Inuyasha grabbed Kagome and jumped, landing on the top of the hill with ease.
 
He steadied her when she would have stumbled. “Wait till your family is home. You're supposed to still be hurt, so looking tired will help.” 
 
“Good point. Let me check in on Mom and you can try to beat me at video games again.”
 
“Feh, I let you win. What kind of jerk beats a girl?” 
 
This jerk, Yashaita-”
 
“Oi! You swore you would never repeat that!”
 
“I couldn't help it, you walked right into it.”
 
“You are so gonna get it later, you just-” 
 
Inuyasha stopped dead, and pushed Kagome behind him. He breathed in deep, hoping he was wrong.
 
Kikyo had been here. And now there was blood. And lot's of it was coming from Kagome's home.
 
“Inuyasha? What is it? What's wrong?” Kagome gripped his shoulder, standing on her toes to look over him.
 
“Kagome, I want you to stay out here.” His claws grew longer, sharper and he could feel the sudden rush of adrenaline kicking up his heart beat. 
 
Kagome gasped, “You jerk!” she punched his arm, glaring at his neck. “I'm not staying out here if something is wrong. That's my house, and my family! And if something is wrong, I'm going in too!” 
 
Her power rumbled in agreement, still a little tired from saving Sango, but ready to go.
 
“Kagome.” Inuyasha growled. “Don't argue with me.” 
 
“I either go with you, or I S-I-T you, and go in myself.” she threatened. “Now what's going on?”
 
Inuyasha snarled, but seeing no other way, grabbed Kagome's hand. “I'm smelling blood. Stay close to me.” 
 
Her face went pale, and her knees trembled, but she followed behind Inuyasha. Blood? There was no possible way. Her gramps would be out at work all day, and Souta was still in school. So that left...
 
“My mother!” Kagome pounded on Inuyasha's back. “Inuyasha, let me go!”
 
“Shut up, Kagome, I'm trying to listen-”
 
“Inuyasha, there's no one there!” Kagome shrieked, feeling hysterical. She fought Inuyasha's grasp, trying to keep her power from hurting him when he refused to let go of her. “Only my mother!” 
 
“You can't be sure, just hold on-”
 
“SIT!”
 
Inuyasha went face first into the dirt, cursing, while Kagome raced into her house and up the stairs, her heart beating so loud she couldn't hear anything else. She ran past the happy pictures on the wall of them as a family, her, Souta, gramps, her mother and her father. She breathed in the smell of blood with every pant, the coppery-sweet scent made her feel sick. 
 
“Oh please, Oh God, no.” she begged, throwing the door open to her mother's room.
 
Her mother lay calmly on her bed, the covers and the pillows neat underneath her. She looked healthier then she had in months, even though she was pale. She wore a new white nightgown, her face was scrubbed clean and her hair brushed out. Her face was peaceful, like she enjoying a refreshing nap, even with the pool of blood surrounding her, drained from her slit wrists.
 
“MAMA!”Â