InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Summon a Mate ❯ November 9: 2:41 PM ( Chapter 20 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

AN: Sorry for the late update! This chapter was one of my hardest to write. Plus, school sucks.
 
Dreamer789: Who said anything about Kikyo being involved? Thanks for the review.
 
Psyco_chick32: Hey! :) Sorry I left it like that...But I gave myself a new deadline for being done by Halloween, so I'm hoping that'll help push me along. Thank you so much for dropping me another review though!
 
SplendentGoddess: Thank you! I was really trying hard to drive you guys crazy. But who said Kikyo had anything to do with it? Kag's mom was very depressed. (But then who said Kikyo didn't have anything to do with it? Teehee...) Thanks so much for reviewing!
 
Kjpanny: Oh, yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.
 
Unistar: Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for reviewing! :)
 
Lunabell: Teehee! Hope you find your voice after this chapter.
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha and I am making no money off this story.
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------
 
November 9, 2:41 PM
 
Kagome launched herself at her mother, power flaring. Her mother bounced lightly when she kneeled on the bed, rolling her head to the side. Without thought, Kagome clamped her fingers around the wounds, squeezing as hard as possible until her power had settled over the cuts, clotting the bleeding. Kagome put two fingers to her mother's pulse, smearing blood on her neck.
 
“Please, please, please, please.” she chanted. “Oh God, please.”
 
So faintly she nearly missed it, a pulse thudded weakly under Kagome's hand. 
 
Relief washed over her, nearly making her collapse. Her mother was still alive. But just barely. 
 
Pulling her mother's head to rest on her lap, she checked to make sure her mother's wrists were still covered by the purple mass of energy. She could feel the power gathering in the pit of her stomach, preparing to heal her mother. She knew she could close the wounds, replace the blood loss and repair any internal damage caused by the hemorrhaging. How she knew, she had no idea, but she knew she could make her mother as good as new. 
 
She shifted her mother closer, getting ready to do just that, when a flash metal caught her eye. 
 
The knife her father had used to cut meat laid on the bed, stained with blood. It was only brought out for important family dinners, when Mama would make huge, fancy meals, and her father would carefully sharpen the blade so he could cut the smoothest, most precise slices possible. She hadn't seen it since her father's accident, after Gramps had decided to hide away anything her mother could use to hurt herself with. 
 
The power ran hot under her skin, waiting for her command to heal.
 
Kagome blinked, the realization hitting her harder then Sango could ever hope to kick. 
 
Her mother had tried to kill herself. 
 
She had fought to keep her mother home, visited her daily, talked to her, tried to rouse her back to life. She was a good girl, she got good grades, she was a good granddaughter and a good sister. She thought maybe that would help bring her mother back. Make her remember that she had a life and a family outside of her father, and that she wasn't the only one suffering. 
 
Kagome had lied about her own hurt for so long because she wanted her mother to be the one to realize she wasn't ok. 
 
And yet her mother had tried to kill herself. 
 
Her head dropped and her power slipped away unused. She could repair her mother's body, but she couldn't truly heal her. 
 
She felt herself start to crumble. It was almost too much. She had kept herself strong for her mother so long, it was like her foundation was shaking under her. Her vision started to blur with tears. What was she keeping herself strong for, now that her mother had tried to commit suicide? She wanted to kneel over and cry until she blacked out, until she died. No one was depending on her anymore-
 
She stiffened suddenly. She still had things to do, and she was going to grab onto that purpose and cling like her life depended on it. She couldn't fall apart yet.
 
“KAGOME” Inuyasha burst through the door, sending it slamming into the wall. “What the fuck do you-”
 
“Hand me the phone, Inuyasha.” Kagome didn't look up from her mother's face, wishing there was another way. “I need to call 911.”
 
Inuyasha stopped, confusion in his eyes. “But-”
 
“Hand me the phone!” Kagome snapped, shocking both of them. 
 
Click
 
Mate-
 
“NO!” She could not handle his pity right now, she needed to hold it together. She had to pretend she was strong, at least for a little while longer.
 
Ripppppp
 
“Just get the phone.”
 
Wordlessly, Inuyasha reached over to the wireless sitting on the nightstand.
 
When he held it out to her, her hand shook as she reached for it. She felt strange, like she was viewing this happening to someone else, far, far away. Surely that couldn't really be her cradling her dying mother, her face pale and her eyes wild. 
 
Holding it in one hand, she pressed 9-1-1, trying not to notice the red print her thumb left on the button. She held it back to Inuyasha as the number dialed. “You need to be the one to speak.” She wasn't sure she could say the words.
 
Without argument, Inuyasha accepted the phone back. She processed his voice as a low murmur while she soaked in the sight of her mother. Her face was tighter, less relaxed. Like she knew her chance to escape was slipping away and she didn't like it.
 
She kept her power strong and tight around the slits in her wrist, preventing any more blood from leaking out. She could do that much at least before sending her away. She could keep her alive until someone who could heal her arrived. 
 
That was obviously what she had been doing for the past eight months anyway. 
 
Pulling her mother's hair free from her legs so she wouldn't tug on her scalp, Kagome spread the thick mass across the sheets. She hadn't noticed how much gray had grown into the strands. There were deep lines etched across her face, making her look much older then before her father's death. 
 
Kagome forced herself to take a slow breath, chocking down air past the lump in her throat. She couldn't inhale through her nose, knowing the scent of her mother's blood would push her past her breaking point. 
 
Inuyasha's hand settled carefully on her shoulder. “They're coming.” 
 
Kagome nodded once in acknowledgment, her head feeling almost to heavy to lift back up. “I'll talk to Gramps myself.” She wasn't sure what she would say, but she knew her grandfather would want to hear it from her. It was another thing she had to do.
 
She didn't look at Inuyasha as he handed her the phone. She could barely feel the plastic in her hand. Wondering faintly if this was shock, she decided she didn't care. It would help her hold it together.  
 
And it kept her from noticing how warm her mother's blood was against her bare knees. It was soaking into the bottom of her dress. Yet another piece of clothing ruined.
 
She chocked back a sob and dialed the number to her grandfather's cell. 
 
While she waited anxiously for the phone to pick up, Inuyasha stayed out of her way, giving her space. He moved back the rugs that might impede the paramedic's access to her mother, before smoothly moving the knife out of Kagome's eyesight. She didn't need to look at it any longer.
 
“Kagome!” Kagome winced at the sound of her grandfather's booming voice. He always talked too loud on his cell phone. It seemed like such an ordinary, every day thing that made everything else seem even more surreal. “How's my favorite granddaughter? Are your ribs still paining you very much? If that hoodlum isn't doing his job, I can come home early.” 
 
Inuyasha looked around the room, before picking up a set of fresh sheets sitting on a chair and ripped them into strips. 
 
Kagome swallowed a whimper. “Gramps-” she had to stop, the lump in her throat swelling up. She closed her eyes, fighting for control. 
 
“...Kagome. Something's wrong. What's happened?” Her grandfather's voice finally dropped to a normal pitch. 
 
Gently, Inuyasha picked up her mother's wrist and wrapped the stripes of cotton around the glow of Kagome's power. 
 
“It's Mama...” she trailed off again. “I asked Inuyasha to check on her, and he found her after she-” Really, how much detail did her grandfather need? “He's already called the ambulance.” 
 
She could barely hear her grandfather breathe on the other end. “Is she still alive?” 
 
Kagome nodded, before remembering he couldn't see her. “Yes.”
 
“I'll be right over. Don't worry about another thing, I'll take care of things at the hospital and Dr. Saito. Just keep calm, I don't want you hurting your ribs any worse.”
 
“Ok.” Kagome said to his dial tone, pressing the phone against her chest. But then what else could she hold on to?
 
Inuyasha finished with her mother's other wrist, muting the brightness of Kagome's makeshift tourniquet. With the remaining sheets, he tucked them around her mother. He would have wrapped the thicker comforter around her to keep her warmer, but since it was blood soaked, it might not have done much good.
 
The lump in her throat turned into a painful mass nearly chocking her. He was so considerate. It was tempting just to lean into him and be weak, but she couldn't let herself fall apart yet. Not until everything was done.
 
He tilted his head to the side. “Sirens are coming.” 
 
Kagome looked down at herself, knowing she had to play at being injured. Her ribs were still supposed to be cracked. Carefully, she shifted herself out from under her mother, resting her head on a pillow. 
 
She interlaced her fingers with her mother's, studying the way they looked. Tanned and strong mixed with white and bony. 
 
She had to believe she was doing the right thing. She didn't know how she would be able to do it otherwise. 
 
Slowly, she drew her power away from her mother, allowing the ripped sheets to be the only thing blocking the blood flow. Small red smears bloomed on the fabric, but it wasn't the outpour it had been before. 
 
Bending over, she pressed a small kiss across her mother's forehead. She stayed down, trying to decide what to say. There was so much she had never told her mother, so much that still needed to be said. Millions of different words and phrases crowded Kagome's mind, her mouth opening and closing as she considered which to chose. 
 
Finally, she squeezed her mother's hand. “If you can't heal for us, please get better for yourself. I love you, Mama.” There was nothing else more important to be said. 
 
She placed her mother's hand at her side, careful not to let it touch any more blood. Letting go was one of the hardest things she had ever done, but she stood next to the bed, swaying slightly. Her mother laid still on the bed, much like the way she had found her. It wasn't too late, she could still heal her mother. She could tell the paramedics it had been a mistake, a prank. Her mother would be with her a little while longer. 
 
Her gaze fell on the bandages wrapped around her wrist. As much as she wanted to deny it, she knew her mother wouldn't be with her regardless. She hadn't had her mother for the last eight months.
 
So she had to do the hardest thing yet...walk away.
 
Inuyasha slid into his place at Kagome's side, walking next to her as she stepped out the doorway, doing her best not to look back. It wasn't until he lightly touched her back that she realized she was shaking. 
 
“I can take care of the ambulance people, mate. Why don't you go to your room?” 
 
His touch felt burning hot, almost scolding her. She shrugged him off, unable to handle any physical contact. “I should be there when they take her.”
 
He hesitated, and she was afraid he would argue with her when she was too vulnerable to fight back. Instead, there was a small swoosh of air, and Inuyasha was in front of her, holding a loose shirt and sweats. “You need to change then.” 
 
Kagome sucked in a breath. “Thank you.” she forced out. 
 
He held them back before she could reach for them. “Hands first, mate.” He draped the clothing over her shoulder, careful not to touch her. “Hurry so you can get downstairs in time.” 
 
The lump in her throat shrunk as she spun around and headed for the bathroom, bumping the door open with her hip to avoid getting blood on the wood. She didn't flip the light switch, unwilling to watch the sink turn pink. Not letting herself think about it, she turned the faucet on with the tip of her pinkie finger and scrubbed her hands. Assuming she was clean, she wiped her hands dry on her ruined dress before stripping. Not bothering to check if she put her shirt inside out, she flew out the door and down the steps, vaulting onto the couch as Inuyasha was coming into the living room. He was weighed down with magazines, plates of food, and bottles of Kagome's pain medication.  He spread it all around her, making it look like they had spent the day in the living room instead of sneaking out to see his brother. 
 
She leaned against the arm of the coach, propped up by pillows as he smoothed a blanket over her. 
 
“Thank you.” she whispered as he straightened a corner, making sure her feet were covered. 
 
“Anytime, mate.” He met her eyes, more determined then she had ever seen before. “I'll always be here for you.”
 
Knock, Knock
 
She jumped at the sound, grabbing Inuyasha's arm out of reflex. He covered her hand with his. 
 
“Ready?” 
 
She nodded, and with one quick squeeze, Inuyasha left to get the door. 
 
Pulling the blanket closer to her chin, she shivered. She almost couldn't believe this was happening. It seemed so insane. But she still had the red tint on her hands to prove it.
 
Inuyasha led two men pulling a stretcher, both briskly walking past her without a glance. He gave her one look over, just to make sure she was ok, before taking them up the stairs, easily helping them carry the stretcher up the steps. 
 
Bang 
 
Kagome nearly jumped when the door slammed open, catching herself just before her grandfather hurried into the living room, Dr. Saito at his heels. 
 
“Kagome!” He took her hand, holding it between both of his. “How are you holding up child?” 
 
She swallowed, fighting the urge to glare at Dr. Saito. It wasn't the stupid shrink's fault her mother was sick. “I'm fine. Inuyasha is with the paramedics now.” 
 
Her grandfather nodded. “I assumed as much. I'll go with your mother to the hospital, and settle her in. I don't want you to worry about a thing Kagome, Dr. Saito has assured me that your mother is in the best of care.”
 
Dr. Saito nodded serenely, practically radiating calm. “I've arranged everything at the hospital. I promise I will see personally to your mother, Kagome. She's even in the room closest to my office.”  
 
Kagome wondered what arcane festival Dr. Saito would get her mother obsessed with, but held her tongue and nodded. 
 
Dr. Saito placed a cool hand on her shoulder, and Kagome had to fight her shudder. “I understand this must be a difficult time for you. I hope if you have any problems, you'll come see me to talk. I'm only a phone call away.” 
 
Ew. Like she wanted to spill her guts to the creepy shrink she hated. “Thank you, doctor.” 
 
Dr. Saito finally backed off. “I will go and make sure everything in the ambulance is prepared correctly. Please take your time.” 
 
Kagome and her grandfather ignored the shrink leaving, focusing on any sounds that might come from upstairs instead. 
 
“How are you feeling, Kagome?” Gramps asked, 
 
Hell if she knew. She was still fighting so hard for control, she didn't know what was under it. “I'm sad it came to this.”
 
He rubbed her head a bit too hard, trying to be reassuring. “Me too.” he paused, waiting to hear if the stretcher was coming down yet. “How are your ribs?”
 
Kagome felt a quick dash of guilt about lying to her grandfather. “They don't hurt as bad.”
 
“Good, good. I need you to be more careful, Kagome. Focus on getting better, alright?”
 
“Yes, gramps.”
 
Heavy footsteps echoed. The paramedics balanced her mother between them, being careful not to jostle her. Kagome's throat closed up when she saw that she was strapped down to the stretcher, the black cuffs stark over the white bandages. Inuyasha walked close to them, ready to steady the stretcher if there was need. 
 
Gramps squeezed her shoulder. “Make sure the hoodlum takes good care of you. I'll be back tonight.”
 
She nodded, and without another word, he was gone, following her mother out the door. 
 
Kagome sat quietly on the couch, realizing she was truly alone in her home for the first time since her father's death. It wasn't a comfortable feeling like it used to be.
 
The door softly opened and closed, Inuyasha padding back into the living room. He eased himself beside Kagome, resting a hand on her leg. The silence stretched between them, neither of the two sure what to say. 
 
Kagome wavered between finally letting go. What was she still holding on for? She had done all she could, and she was tired. But she was so used to being strong, she wasn't sure what else to do. Letting herself be weak seemed...weak. 
 
Inuyasha cocked his head to the side. “They're gone.” he informed her, squeezing lightly. 
 
Kagome twisted the blanket between her fingers. She let her head drop back on the couch. “My mother's been gone for eight months.” She corrected, her heart clenching. “Maybe she'll be able to come back one day now.” 
 
Kagome's head smashed into Inuyasha's shoulder when he crushed her to his chest suddenly, squeezing tight enough that it was almost hard to breath. “That was the toughest thing I've ever seen anyone do. I'm so fucking proud I can call you my mate.” 
 
Her arms wrapped around his back, holding on just as tight. There it was. Another reason to stay strong. She wouldn't let go of Inuyasha the way she had her mother. “You're pretty awesome yourself. Are you hungry again?”
 
Inuyasha went still, before pulling back. His hands stayed on her shoulders, making sure she was meeting his eyesight. “You're doing something weird.”
 
...damn it. “What do you mean?”
 
“You're hiding behind something. And you don't have to be.” Inuyasha lightly massaged her shoulders, trying to ease the tense muscles. “Start talking, mate. Or whatever you need to do.”
 
Not yet. She wasn't ready. “I don't know what you're talking about. I'm-”
“Don't even think about lying, Kagome.” Inuyasha interrupted. “There's no way in hell you're `fine'.” 
 
Kagome hesitated, unsure of what to do or say. It was easier to act like she was ok. Like everything was fine. It didn't hurt as much that way. “Really, I'm-”
 
“Wait...that's Souta coming.” Inuyasha announced after his ears twitched madly for a moment. “Do you want me here when you tell him?”
 
Kagome felt her `I'm fine' mask slip back into place more firmly. She couldn't collapse until after Souta had his own chance to deal with it, regardless of what Inuyasha wanted her to do. Hopefully he wouldn't haul out all of his Samhain books again.  “I think so. Just let me talk.” 
 
Inuyasha nodded, clearly not happy, but unable to fight with Souta so close. “I'll change then. But mate, I'm not forgetting about this.” he warned, before shooting upstairs.
 
“Of course not.” she muttered. Everyone else hadn't noticed it, or ignored it. Why couldn't he? Her life would be so much easier.
 
Not that it was piece of cake with the mateship, the weird marks, new powers, and potential missions to save Kagura/Inuyasha/her family/etc... So the least he could do, was let it go. 
 
But then he wouldn't be Inuyasha if he had. And honestly, she would have been hurt if he was just like everyone else in her life who hadn't seen her hide her pain.
 
But still, this wasn't the best time for a heart to heart. 
 
“HONEY, I'M HOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!” Souta laughed like that was the funniest thing he had ever said as he walked in, the door slamming shut behind him. “Hey Inuyasha! Can I beat you in Mortal Combat again?” 
 
Inuyasha was instantly sprawled in an armchair, jeans and a red t-shirt from the church's lost and found covering him. “Maybe later, kid. Get in here.”
 
“Coming!” 
 
Kagome had to roll her eyes, even with everything that was going on. When did her little brother ever listen to her like that? 
 
Souta bounded into the living room, a can of soda in one hand and his book bag in the other. “Wazza up my homies?”
 
Next strong thing to do: Block MTV
 
Looking at their grim faces, Souta started to frown. “What's wrong? Kagome looks funny. And I mean it's worse then usual.” 
 
Well, irritating little brothers definitely made it easier to hold onto control. Kagome let it go, knowing Souta was about to lose all the bravado. “We need to talk.”
 
Sometimes when it came to things like this, she hated being strong.
 
-------------------------------------------------------------
 
He hadn't taken it as badly as she thought he might. Souta hadn't raced for his Samhain books, started up a batch of soul cakes, or made plans for another altar. He didn't break things, stormed out of the room or screamed out accusations. 
 
He just quietly cried.
 
Now he was carefully snuggled next to Kagome, being as gentle as possible since he thought her ribs were still broken. He hadn't wanted to watch TV, so once he was done crying, he just talked to Inuyasha about anything and everything. He especially liked hearing about Inuyasha's older brother, though he decided he wasn't as cool as Inuyasha. 
 
Kagome was never more thankful for Inuyasha. 
 
“-So Sess hears this rumor that Kagura is working at the-” Inuyasha paused, probably trying to find the modern day equivalent to whatever he was talking about. “Where the weird people go-”
 
“Freak show?” Souta guessed. 
 
“Freak show! He hears Kagura is working for a freak show as a contortionist.So he gets insanely jealous, because if she's that flexible, he wants her performing for a different type of audience, know what I mean?”
 
“No, he doesn't, and doesn't need to.” Kagome interrupted before Souta could ask. 
 
“Oh, well anyway, Sess goes to every single freak show in the country, trying to find Kagura. He's seen women with more facial hair then he has, but he can't find his woman anywhere. Finally, about six months after he started looking, he finds Kagura in some seedy bar. She made the whole thing up after he sent one of her suitors to jail.” 
 
Souta's eyes went wide, showing real interest. “He can do that?” 
 
“I think it's getting late. I'm tired.” she faked a yawn, hoping he would believe it. She wasn't sure if it would be smart to go into much detail yet about who Sesshomaru really was. 
 
Inuyasha stood up immediately. “We'll move this to your room then.” Under Souta's awestruck gaze, he scooped Kagome up, cradling her carefully against his chest. “Come on, Souta.”
 
Following behind Inuyasha, they walked up the stairs, carefully not looking at their mother's room as Inuyasha led the way to Kagome's. 
 
Inuyasha set Kagome down on her bed, careful to keep her propped up with pillows behind her back. “I'll be back with water for your pills.”
 
Kagome relaxed into her bed, the day finally starting to wear on her. Souta stood next to her mattress, looking like he wanted to say something.“Souta, how are you feeling?”
 
“I'm still kinda sad.” he admitted. “But you, Inuyasha, and Dad helped a lot.” 
 
Her brows shot up. “Dad helped you?”
 
He nodded. “It was when I had that dream. He told me that he loved me for loving him enough to try to talk and see him again, but it was ok to let him go. I don't need Halloween or any of those rituals to remember him. He'll always be with me, even if I'm not keeping his altar or slicing up apples for signs from him. And you-”
 
Kagome's heart picked up. “What about me?” 
 
“He loves you, and he's so proud of you. But he wants you to know too that it's ok to let go. He said, `sometimes to be strong, you need to be weak'. You've done a lot to keep our family together, but you don't need to sacrifice yourself for us. And that's what you're going to do if you don't let go. If you wait much longer to fall apart, you might not be able to pull yourself together. He wanted me to emphasize that you can do it now, because you have people that know where all the pieces go.” Souta looked more solemn then any boy his age had a right to. “He told me to wait to tell you that till you really needed to hear it. I think that's now.” 
 
The lump in her throat was getting bigger, and she had to clear her throat a bit before responding.
 
“You're right Souta. Thank you so much.”
 
“You're welcome. Good night.” he stopped on his way out her door. “I'll see you in the morning, right?” 
 
He should never have to wonder about that. “You will. I promise.” 
 
“Good night, Kagome.” he said again.
 
“Night, Souta.” 
 
She could feel her walls crumbling. Even if it hadn't really been their father telling Souta all that, it had hit too close to home. Everything she'd kept locked away was pushing at her defenses. The gut-wrenching pain at losing her father, the struggle to keep it together since his death, and the agony at nearly losing her mother for good. She couldn't hold it back much longer.
 
Not only that, but she didn't want to.
 
And she didn't have to anymore. Inuyasha was the first one to notice something was wrong. He had been there for her. He had been there for her family. They might have started the day off shaky, their entire relationship a little strangely, but she knew he was someone who would know where the pieces belonged. 
 
She let the first tear fall when he walked through the door, a glass of water in his hand. 
 
“Inuyasha.” Her vision blurred, her breath catching on the lump lodged in her throat. “I'm not fine.”
 
She started sobbing as soon as she felt his arms wrap around her, her face pressed into the crock of his neck. She felt his skin dampen from her tears, and that only made her cry harder. 
 
“I'm not fine, I'm really not fine.” her voice cracked on the words as she clung to him, holding on desperately. 
 
“I know, mate.” Inuyasha started rocking back and forth, rubbing her back soothingly. “But I promise you will be.”