InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Summon a Mate ❯ November 10, 8:30 AM ( Chapter 21 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

AN: Sorry to everyone who I promised an early update to! So here's 17 pages worth.
 
Snowfall: Thank you! The handbook is one of my favorite chapters, just because I got to write in Kagura's voice.
 
Unistar: Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I think it would screw with anyone, but it was especially hurting Kagome since she was holding it in. Sorry for the late update.
 
AtLeastElise: (Blush) Oh wow, thank you, you flatterer, you! But let's wait and see if you're still going to like this story after the last part...
 
Psyco_chick32: Ahem. Who said Kikyo was close to her mother? (innocent look). But thanks for the comment about the realism. I feel like that's the part I stress over the most. Which made the end kind of scary, but it'll make sense!!! Just not till next chapter. Thanks so much for reviewing though!
 
Avenging_Angel: Not giving you any clues. Not this close to the end. But thanks for reviewing anyway! :)
 
Babypeenats: Because you have very good instincts. ;)
 
Lunabell: Whew! I was a bit worried to be honest. And thank you! To be honest, after this story I really want a break. But I do have a few ideas I've been mulling over. Thanks for the review!
 
ChibiRin: Thank you! And thank you for reviewing!
 
SplendentGoddess: Very interesting theory. Eventually, you'll find out if you're right or not. :) But not yet. Kagome and Inuyasha are about to go through some new revelations for the next chapter or so. Things aren't going to go very smoothly for them yet. Thanks for reviewing again!
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha and I make no money off this story.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------
 
November 10: 8:30 AM
 
Pop 
 
Inuyasha expertly caught the toast, tossing it onto a plate before he could singe his fingers. He smeared jelly over the bread, knowing exactly how much Souta liked. 
 
“Loopy things or honey stuff today, kid?” Inuyasha asked, Souta's cereal bowl already in hand. One quick sniff of the milk established that it was good enough for him to drink. 
 
“Gimme both. Please.” Souta added as an after thought, kicking his heels against the chair legs. 
 
Inuyasha shrugged, then poured some of each box into the bowl. Knowing Kagome would complain if he used his claws, he cut up a banana with a clean knife, sprinkling the fruit over the cereal. 
 
Balancing the bowl on the plate with Souta's toast, he grabbed the glass of orange juice with his free hand, easily carrying it all over to where Souta waited at the kitchen table. 
 
“Thanks, Inuyasha.” Souta dug in as Inuyasha sat down across from him, ravenous. Crying had a way of making him hungry. Then again, he was a growing boy. Breathing made him hungry.
 
Inuyasha propped his head on a fist, watching to make sure Souta ate everything. Normally the boy would be chatting away, filling Inuyasha in on his life, schooling, gaming, whatever, but this morning he was quiet. “You alright?”
 
Souta stopped chewing long enough to get a swallow of juice down. “I will be.”
 
Inuyasha hid a smile behind his knuckles. The kid really was something. Kind of like his sister. “So, school today?”
 
Souta pouted. “Do I have to?”
 
He shrugged again. “Only if you want to. Kag might be pissed if you skip, though.” He wasn't waking her up to ask her permission. She needed the rest. 
 
Souta thought for a moment. “I might want the day off. To walk around and think and stuff.” 
 
Inuyasha wasn't totally happy with the thought of Souta `walking around' by himself, but knew he really couldn't stop him. Souta needed the chance to get his thoughts together. Plus, he wanted Kagome to himself. “If that's what you want. But you'll have to be the one to explain yourself.”
 
Souta nodded, looking brave. “Ok, I will...later.” He quickly inhaled the rest of his cereal, grabbing his toast to eat on the way. “Thanks, Inuyasha.”
 
“Don't do anything stupid.” Inuyasha warned, watching Souta drop his bowl into the sink. 
 
“I won't, I promise. See you later!” Souta left, pulling on his jacket as he walked.
 
“Feh.” Inuyasha stood up, wanting to at least rinse the dishes. He hoped Kagome and Gramps wouldn't be mad, Souta really seemed to need the day off. Hell, he wanted the day off and it hadn't even been his mother.
 
With a flick of his wrist, Inuyasha turned the faucet on, water starting to fill Souta's bowl. Kagome had really been amazing yesterday. He was so proud of her. How many demons could boast about a mate like her?
 
He still didn't know how she had held on to help the rest of her family. Or how she had let her mother go. He knew now it was the right choice, but at the time he was shocked. He could never be that strong. And the way she had fallen apart in his arms? He felt like the biggest man in the world to be able to comfort her. 
 
Water started to overfill the bowl, but Inuyasha kept staring, not registering the need to turn off the sink. He was so blown away by Kagome. Powerful, beautiful, smart, and compassionate, it was more then he had ever wanted. More then he ever had with Kikyo. 
 
It was strange. He'd always thought what he had with Kikyo was special. It was a bond that no one, not even God, could touch or sever. It was the only explanation for why the most perfect woman for him wasn't his mate, because it couldn't be manufactured. He had chosen her himself, and their relationship was deeper then fate could create. He was sure he was in love.
 
But whatever it was exactly he felt for Kagome, admiration, pride, lust, hell, even awe, made his entire relationship with Kikyo seem pale and shallow. 
 
He shook himself out of his daze, finally shutting off the sink. Last night had changed so many things. Not only for Kagome or her mother, but for him. 
 
He left the dishes in the sink, wanting to check on Kagome. He didn't like admitting it, but he hated being away from her. What if she woke up and needed him? She was probably feeling all vulnerable and woman-y after crying into his arms all night. He wanted to make sure he was there for her however she needed him, whether it was making her brother breakfast or letting her cling to him as she sobbed some more. 
 
And...he missed her.
 
There was a definite change in their relationship. He could feel it. As he walked up the steps, he felt lifted at the thought of seeing her again. He wanted to be close to her. More then that, he felt he had a right to be. One he wanted to take full advantage of. 
 
He doubled checked to make sure her mother's bedroom door was closed, not wanting Kagome to see the inside if she wasn't ready. He hadn't had a chance to clean the room yet aside from stripping the bloody sheets. 
 
He knew even before he opened the door that Kagome was still asleep. Her breathing was finally relaxed, her heartbeat peaceful. She sprawled across the bed, hogging the mattress after he had slipped out to take care of Souta. She wore one of his shirts he had coaxed her into once she started to calm down. Her face was still a bit flushed and tear stained, but that was easily washed away. 
 
He sat on the edge of the bed, trying to figure out how to maneuver back in without waking Kagome. As if sensing him, Kagome flung an arm over his thigh, sighing softly. She was a bit clingy asleep, but he didn't mind. It was sort of cute. 
 
Absently, he grabbed her hand with his, knowing that was probably what she was looking for. And froze.
 
He whipped her hand back around, his heart pounding hard against his rib cage. Her mark hadn't changed one line. The moon, the flame, and the damned spider were still on her palm.
 
But now her mark was a light blue.
 
Inuyasha stared down at it, not knowing what to think. Blue...blue meant love. 
 
Instantly, something soft and gentle unfurled inside his chest. His heart beat slowed and his entire universe was focused on the tiny hand lying in his own. It felt...right. Now that it was in front of his face, his body, mind, and heart realized what his instincts knew all along. It had just been waiting for the rest of him to catch up. It felt good, and comfortable, and certain. It was nothing like what he `felt' for Kikyo.
 
He tried so hard not to. But there was nothing he could do to stop it. Hell, there wasn't anything he wanted to do.
 
...he was falling for Kagome Higurashi...
 
And it absolutely terrified him. 
 
He felt frantic. He felt like going to the top of the roof and roaring in triumph. So many things he wanted to do, but he kept going back and forth between running away in fear, and kissing her awake. 
 
The blue was light though. He had some time; he could turn into a bastard, make her act like a bitch and kill this love before it could fully start. His feelings for Kikyo were safe, well-known and fully explored. He knew its boundaries and lines. But this emotion towards Kagome threatened to rip him apart and mold him into something new. Turn him into a man who would refuse to live without Kagome. 
 
He had never thought about it, but he had always known he could live without Kikyo. He would be heartbroken, but there would be no urge to throw himself off a cliff or taunt his brother into poisoning him. 
 
But if something happened to Kagome? There would be nothing that would stop him from following her. 
 
If Mrs. Higurashi had even felt a fraction of what was going through him now, he completely understood why Gramps needed to hide the knives.
 
This potential love was scary. It loomed over him, bigger and more impacting then anything he had ever faced. Now that it was in front of him, he wasn't sure he could handle it. 
 
Kagome made a small noise when he gripped her wrist a little too tightly. Her eyes slowly blinked open, still hooded with sleep. 
 
“Inuyasha.” she yawned, snuggling deeper into a pillow. One eye peered up at him, watching him closely. She sighed, turning her head further into the pillow as if to hide. The flush on her face deepened instead of lightened, and she tried to tug her hand away, giving up when he silently refused to let go.
 
“...I hope last night wasn't too hard for you.” she finally said. “I don't normally act like that.” She suddenly clutched his hand hard. “But thank you. You tried so hard to make things easier yesterday. I don't know what I would have done without you.”
 
...ah fuck, there it was. His heart dropped into Kagome's open palm and he was falling. No more fighting. No more worrying or doubt. He was tumbling, head over heels. All it took was one thoughtful sentence, and he was doomed. 
 
Warmth spread through what used to be his heart. Now it belonged to Kagome. 
 
He cleared his throat loudly, unsure of what to do. Great, he was in love, so what? Up until now he had a plan. It wasn't like he could follow through with that now. “Anytime, mate.” 
 
She smiled shyly into the pillows. “I love how you say that.” she admitted. “You don't put conditions or restrictions on it. You just let me know you'll always be there, in only three syllables.” 
 
Inuyasha was horrified when his cheeks started prickling, and he turned away, scared he might be blushing. “Er...anytime, mate.” 
 
She giggled softly. “I'm a little embarrassed about crying so much, but I feel so...light now. So relived.” Her eyes drifted closed, still smiling. “I'm so lucky to have you here to help put back all the pieces.”
 
...he had no idea what that meant, but it sounded important and mate-like. He liked it. Sort of in the way he liked Kagome clinging to him. 
 
“Can we sleep for a little while longer? I'm not ready to get up yet.” She did sound tired. She wasn't normally this open. 
 
“So go back to sleep.” 
 
She tugged on his arm. “Come down. I sleep better with you.” 
 
Damn it, there it was again. He was melting and soft and hurrying to follow her request. He quickly slipped in next to her, letting her settle her head over his shoulder and her arm across his chest. 
 
She yawned, nuzzling her head until she found a comfortable spot. “Just for a few more hours.” she murmured. 
 
Inuyasha reached up to hold her hand with his, covering her mark with his own palm before bringing her hand to his lips and kissing it. One of those stupid, sappy smiles started to spread across his face before he could stop it. He loved Kagome.
 
So now what the hell was he supposed to do about Kikyo?
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --
 
Sango lazily started to wake up. Since the bedsheets were a mess around her, she kicked them off, stretching luxuriously. 
 
Miroku's side of the bed was empty, the pillows cold. She was a little disappointed he was gone, but could hear him in his office, typing away at something. He would be back. After last night, she didn't doubt that.
 
She smirked, arching her back to enjoy how loose she felt. How good and relaxed. Bone deep satisfaction all over. She'd put Miroku through a hard workout and wanted to make him do it again. 
 
Sliding out of bed, she raised her arms above her head, reaching up on her tip toes. Just for the hell of it, she let herself fall into a back-flip, loving the smoothness and grace of the movement. 
 
She didn't put anything on as she left the bedroom, hoping the sight of her naked skin would nudge Miroku into another round. Her hair swayed against the small of her back, her bare feet made no noise as she padded into the kitchen. Strong tea sounded good right now.
 
She filled a teapot with water and set it down to boil, still amazed at the stove. It wasn't like her way of making it, but it was fast and easy. 
 
She frowned at the flames, the pang of homesickness ruining her good mood. She missed home. She hated to think about it, since there was absolutely nothing to be done, but it was the truth. She never got to say goodbye to her family or her friends. She still didn't know what had happened to them. Had her father died in honorable battle or somehow managed to live to an old age? Had her brother succeeded in his teasing threats to become a better demonslayer then her? She didn't know. And sometimes that was worse then the homesickness. 
 
She shook her head, hard. She didn't know why she was dwelling on it, there was nothing that could be done. It would more beneficial to plan how to track and kill Kikyo, not waste her time with things she couldn't fix. Her own existence was something she could solve. Kikyo's death was one of things she could guarantee. 
 
She just needed Inuyasha's help.
 
She tapped her claws thoughtfully on the countertop. The stupid demon was still caught up in Kikyo. Why, she didn't know, especially since his real mate was so much more powerful. And not evil. 
 
But there was a man for you. Maybe he was one of those weirdos who liked being stepped on. 
 
Regardless, she needed Inuyasha. He had to know where Kikyo was hiding, or at least have an idea about how to find her. And there was still Naraku to deal with. Though her instincts to hunt weren't quite as strong towards him anymore. She suspected she just needed to concentrate all her efforts on Kikyo. Naraku was probably trapped in the jewel forever. She would worry about him after Kikyo was dead.
 
She just needed Inuyasha's help for that. Knowing how stubborn the idiot was, it was probably going to be next to impossible. But unfortunately, she had time. 
 
Ding Dong
 
Sango stayed where she was, figuring it probably wasn't a good idea to answer the door naked. She heard Miroku get up to answer it while she kept her eyes on the kettle, waiting for it to sing. He murmured something before closing the door, his footsteps telling her he was going to the kitchen.
 
“Sango, can I talk to-woah.” He stopped dead, arms full of a large box and his mouth hanging open. 
 
She glanced over her shoulder, fighting the urge to smirk. “Yes?”
 
“I...I...um...” he trailed off again, his eyes wide and unblinking as they stared at her. The box shook and he jerked, almost dropping it. “I need to talk to you! Talk! Um...” he smiled sheepishly. “Would you mind throwing something on so my brain stops melting?”
 
Sango didn't let herself pout, but since she was curious about the box she darted into the laundry room for one of Miroku's clean shirts. “Now what?”
 
He set the box down on the table and took a deep breath. “I know you don't want to be here, Sango. And I can't blame you for that. But you have to know I'm going to do everything in my power to make you reconsider.” He pushed the box towards her. “This is for you.”
 
Another present? Not much could top getting her boomerang back, but she still wondered what this could be. Under his anxious gaze, she folded the flaps of the box back. 
 
“Meow.” The kitten stared up at her, her red eyes unblinking. She sat calmly on her haunches, her two tails moving lazily back and forth.
 
The homesickness came roaring back. “...she looks just like Kirara.” she reached into the box and the kitten immediately jumped into her hands, purring. Her breath caught in her throat when she could see the markings on the cat demons forehead and feet. “She is Kirara.”
 
Miroku nodded rapidly. “The demonslayers have been taking care of her for centuries. It's considered an honor in the modern clans to be allowed to serve the great Sango's companion.” he hesitated. “I was only able to get Kirara from them because she could smell you on me and was willing to come. They really want to meet you, Sango. They're already fighting among themselves about what position to give you and what field to assign you to. You could probably just declare yourself chief if you wanted.”
 
Kirara delicately leapt up to her shoulder, rubbing herself against her neck. Sango wanted to crush her cat to her and sob into her fur. Kirara. It had never even occurred to Sango she could see her again. She knew neko's lived for a long time, but she had never let herself hope. “How did you find her?”
 
He shrugged. “Lot's of research. We'll just say I made Google's stock go up significantly. And you have no idea how much power your name still holds. You're a bit of a hero among the other demonslayers.” 
 
Sango cradled Kirara carefully to her. “So you did it all on your...” she struggled to think of the word. “Top tap?”
 
“My laptop, yes.” Miroku carefully correctly, not wanting to make her feel stupid for not knowing things he should have been teaching her. “I can show you how I did it if you like. You can find out almost anything on the internet.” 
 
She didn't realize such things were searchable. An uncomfortable sensation bloomed within her. She was scared it was hope. “Can you...can you find out what happened to my family?”
 
Miroku considered it. “I could try, but the demonslayers would probably have better records. Why don't we go meet them this afternoon? I know you said you needed a purpose Sango, they're dying to give you one. We can go meet up with Inuyasha and Kagome after.”
 
Well, she had wanted to talk to Inuyasha. “Only if Kirara can come.” She had just gotten her cat back after 500 years, she wasn't letting her go anytime soon.
 
A smile spilt Miroku's face. He was softening her up! “Of course. You can take Kirara anywhere you like.”
 
In spite of herself, Sango was excited. She didn't even care about the sex anymore. “Then let's go.” 
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----
 
“The doctors just gave me good news. Your mother is expected to make a full recovery.” Gramps voice over the phone was full of relief. “They're going to keep her on twenty-four hour suicide watch though. But that's understandable considering the circumstances.” 
 
Kagome leaned back against the couch, aware of Inuyasha's complete attention on her conversation. “How is she?”
 
“She hasn't said a word. It's like she was at home, but I feel positive that's going to change.” Gramps forced an upbeat tone to his voice. “I won't be able to come home yet. Because of the early admission, I have to do the paperwork all over again. You'll be fine with the hoodlum for a few more hours, won't you?”
 
Inuyasha rolled his eyes but stayed silent. 
 
“We're ok, Gramps.”
 
“Good. How's Souta?”
 
“I let him skip school today. He didn't feel like going in.” She couldn't blame Inuyasha for that. She wouldn't have made her brother go either. 
 
“It's just as well. Give him a day to settle then. I'm not allowed to take up the phone very long, so I have to go. I'll talk to you soon.”
 
“Bye Gramps.” Kagome pressed the OFF button on the cordless phone and set it aside. “Well, mom's going to be alright.” she knew Inuyasha heard her grandfather say that, but it felt good to be able to say the words. 
 
He nodded instead of pointing that out. “Good. Are you alright now?” 
 
Kagome seriously considered it rather then brush it off like she normally would have. “I think I'm getting there. It's hard to be the one who couldn't help her, but I'm glad she's with people who can.”
 
For a spilt second, Inuyasha looked at her with utter adoration before clearing his throat and blinking rapidly. “That's good. Really good.”
 
“What about you? Are you ok?” He had been acting a little strangely. She knew she had issues, but she didn't want to ignore his if something was bothering him. 
 
“Oh yeah, I'm fine. Of course. Duh. I'm good, really. Want some food?” Inuyasha got up without waiting for an answer, heading towards the kitchen. 
 
Kagome stared at his back, confused. That didn't sound all that fine to her. And she would know. 
 
“Inuyasha, come on.” she got up after him, “You were there for me, let me be here for you. Is something the matter?” 
 
She sat at the table while he started opening random cabinets. “Inuyasha.” she said again, this time with more of an edge. 
 
He closed the drawer under the sink, sighing. “...nothing is exactly wrong. Just...different. But not like a bad different. Just a...a different different.”
 
Kagome felt like scratching her head. “...Inuyasha, you're making no sense.” 
 
“Just don't worry, ok? Nothing's the matter. Do you want some cereal? Or toast?” 
 
“No, I'm fine, thanks.” 
 
Inuyasha shrugged and grabbed a bowl for himself. 
 
“Sooooo, what's different then?” Kagome tried to ask causally. He hadn't given up on her, she wasn't going to give up on him!
 
He took three different cereal boxes out. He busied himself pouring some of each into the bowl, carefully not looking at her. “...do you feel differently?” 
 
This was starting to get really weird. She couldn't remember Inuyasha ever acting like this. But since the voices weren't speaking up, she probably shouldn't get too worried. “About what?”
 
“Well, have you looked at your-” he froze, his whole body going alert. “What the hell? Miroku and Sango are heading up.” He dumped his bowl into one box, not seeing Kagome's wince. “Go hide somewhere. I don't want you around until I'm sure Sango's done trying to kill you.”
 
Kagome stiffened. “Hey! I'm not going to hide in my own house. Besides, me and Sango are fine now. And even if we weren't, I'm a miko. I'm not totally defenseless!”
 
“Don't argue with me. Sango is dangerous and Miroku's a moron-”
 
“Don't argue with me! You're way too paranoid, Sango even told me she was going to come by for a visit.”
 
“She told you that and you didn't tell me? Damn it woman, she's not visiting for fucking tea time!” Inuyasha felt like pulling out his hair. He realizes he's in love finally, so of course Kagome does everything possible to put herself in danger. Why should he be surprised? 
 
“Inuyasha-!”
 
“Kagome...”
 
They scowled at each other, neither backing down.
 
Knock Knock
 
They both sprang for the door, Kagome ending up following at Inuyasha's heels. She threw herself at his back, trying to reach around him to the doorknob. He snarled and grabbed her wrists, holding her against him.
 
She pulled, trying to get away from him. “Inuyasha-”
 
“Stop squirming, this is as close as you're getting.” Inuyasha snapped. “And don't even think about sitting me, you'll just go down too.”
 
...knock, knock?
 
Still keeping Kagome trapped against him, he yanked the door open. “If I see either of you make the least threatening move towards Kagome, I'm tearing your fucking face off.” 
 
Miroku only lifted an eyebrow while Sango growled, the kitten on her shoulder rumbling along. “The same goes for you. And I can do a lot worse then you, little-”
 
“COUGH, COUGH!” Kagome loudly said, interrupting whatever insult Sango was about to spout off. 
 
“Inuyasha, Kagome, it's so nice to see you again. May we come in?” Miroku politely asked. 
 
“Of course you fucking can't-”
 
“Can! Of course, please come in!” Kagome tried to jerk Inuyasha back, digging her nails warningly when he refused to budge. 
 
Reluctantly, he stepped back, keeping Kagome close to him. “I'm watching you.” he warned, only getting an eye roll from Miroku and a snarl from Sango.
 
Kagome elbowed his ribs, embarrassed. She was glad for the distraction of the visit and didn't want Inuyasha to make it unpleasant. “Please ignore Inuyasha, he's a little testy today. Would you like anything to drink?”
 
“Oi! Don't ignore me, I'm-”
 
Miroku held up his hands. “Please Inuyasha, we're not here for trouble, really. Neither of us wants to harm Kagome or yourself. We just want to talk.” 
 
“I swear I will not attack Kagome.” Sango bowed her head respectfully. “She saved my life. I would not dishonor that by harming her.” 
 
“...feh. You just remember that.” Slowly, Inuyasha released the death grip he held on Kagome. He knew Sango was as good as her word.
 
Miroku beamed. “Now that we're all friends again, let's go and chat. We have a lot to talk about.”
 
Sango stepped inside, her face scrunching up. “Why does it smell like-”
 
“Your kitten is adorable.” Kagome quickly said, not wanting to be reminded of the blood spilt upstairs. “I've never seen one with two tails like that. What kind of breed is it?” 
 
“Kirara isn't a normal cat. She's a cat demon. Legend says God gifted them as companions to the first mikos and demonslayers to help them with their duties. Kirara found me when I was eleven and stayed with me until I started working with Midoriko. She doesn't like being underground.” 
 
Inuyasha eyed the cat warily. “So that's the same furball you dragged around everywhere?”
 
“The very one. And cat demons have very long memories, Inuyasha.” Sango reminded cooly, ignoring Kagome and Miroku's curious looks. 
 
Inuyasha shuddered. “Like I could forget.”
 
Kagome would ask Inuyasha later what that was about, she didn't care much when there was a cute cat she could hopefully cuddle. “May I?”
 
Kagome held out her hands, and Sango's eyes went wide, before leaning forward to let Kirara to jump unto her palms. She cradled the cat next to her chest, enjoying the way Kirara purred. 
 
“Come then. Let's talk.” Sango led the way to the living room like it was her house, her eyes determined. 
 
She took over the one armchair, leaving Miroku, Inuyasha and Kagome to uncomfortably share the couch, Kagome in the middle to keep the boys from fighting.
 
“So what are we supposed to talk about?” Inuyasha stuffed a pillow between himself and the arm of the couch, trying not to lean against the hard part. He was almost grateful when Kagome didn't sit against him, choosing to coo over the cat instead. He didn't like having Kirara that close.
 
Sango smiled a little scarily, glancing again at Kagome's hand. “Hunting.”
 
Kagome scratched under Kirara's chin, assuming she liked it by the way her neck arched. “Hunting what?” she asked a little suspiciously. She had a feeling Sango wasn't talking about animals. 
 
“Sango and I want to...find Naraku and...some of his associates.” Miroku said very carefully, not wanting to upset anyone. 
 
“How can we help?” Kagome asked immediately. Sesshomaru wanted her help in killing him anyway, maybe they would have some new clues. Though it would be difficult to discuss it with them since she had promised not to talk about Kagura's secret. 
 
“Not how we can help, how I can help.” Inuyasha grumbled. He wanted to keep Kagome's involvement with Naraku to as little as possible. It was bad enough she had his mark on her palm. He didn't care if Sess thought Kagome `could be the key', she was not getting involved. And that was that.
 
“You need me to even get to Naraku, so yes, how we can help.” Kagome shot back, annoyed all over again. Why was he acting like this? His constant mood switches were making her crazy. “Kagura and your brother are depending on us, you can't be so selfish.”
 
“Selfish? Selfish? I'm trying to protect you, you stupid woman! Fucking Christ, it's like you're trying to kill yourself!” 
 
They both froze, his thoughtless words slamming through them. “Wait, I didn't mean it like that-”
 
“You didn't?” Kagome could barely breath, his every word feeling like a knife in her lungs. “Then what was that supposed to mean, huh, Inuyasha? Why are you acting like this?”
 
Miroku and Sango exchanged a glance when Inuyasha stuttered, his face going red. “Kagome, why don't we go upstairs? I'm sure Kirara would like to see your room.” Sango said calmly, standing up from her chair with another significant look to Miroku. 
 
It was a lame excuse to leave, but Kagome would take it. “Sure.” Kagome jerked her hand away when Inuyasha went to grab it.
 
“Kagome-”
 
“No. Not now.” she snapped back. She couldn't believe he would say something like that. She didn't even want to look at him. 
 
Without another glance, Kagome stomped out of the room, assuming Sango was following by the way Kirara strained to look over her shoulder. She let Kirara hop down when she jerked her bedroom door open, quickly finding a shoe on the floor to rub against.
 
“So Inuyasha is still a moron.” Sango said instead of asked, settling onto her bed when Kagome stared out the window, arms tight across her chest. Like that would keep the pain from spreading. 
 
“I don't want to talk about it.” She said stubbornly. “But probably.” 
 
Sango chuckled. “So we won't then. You said you've seen Lady Kagura?” 
 
Realizing she was being a horrible host, Kagome turned around, forcing herself to set the unintended insult aside. She leaned against the wall, arms still wrapped protectively around herself. “We visited Kagura and Sesshomaru's apartment yesterday. We...talked. Actually, I mentioned you to her.” Kagome remembered suddenly. “They were happy you were still alive. Kagura has promised to have your last paycheck and legal documents readied for you.” 
 
Sango blinked, looking surprised. “You thought of me?” 
 
“Of course. You've been here even longer then Inuyasha, I don't know how you've gotten along.” Kagome looked earnest under her own pain. 
 
Sango looked away to watch her cat, unsure of what to do. Once she saw the blue in her mark, she wanted to use Kagome to influence Inuyasha into giving Kikyo up. It looked like he had finally chosen her over Kikyo, but even if he was still hesitate to harm Kikyo, Kagome could be used to give that final push. 
 
But it was obvious he hadn't told her about Kikyo, or she wouldn't be so eager to defend him. She was hurting, not only from their fight but probably from whatever made the scent of blood linger around her home. And she seemed like a genuinely good person. It made Sango feel...uncomfortable to use her. Even more so now then when she had saved her life. 
 
“How are they?” she finally asked, biding for time. 
 
“Oh, they're doing fine. They're really the cutest couple.” 
 
Sango wasn't sure she'd use the word `cute' to describe Sesshomaru, or at least in his earshot. “They were fair employers.” 
 
While Kagome chatted on about something, Sango tilted her head, listening in on Miroku while he worked on Inuyasha. Miroku was having a better time of it since he knew Kikyo was alive. Though it sounded like Inuyasha was still being stupid and stubborn.
 
Out of nowhere, she was suddenly furious with Inuyasha. How dare he ever want to betray Kagome? She seemed like a good person, a good miko, and a good mate. Kagome needed to know about Kikyo, if only so it would be easier to communicate with everyone knowing all the right information. 
 
“Here, let me show you.” Sango was abruptly drawn back into the conversation when Kagome landed on the bed next to her, her purse in her lap. “I just got it yesterday from Kagura, but I haven't had a chance to go through it. It's been really useful, maybe it'll have something extra about Naraku.” 
 
Sango was confused even after Kagome hauled a heavy looking tome out of the bag. In sparkling gold kanji, it scrolled across the top: The Forced-Updated Handy Pocket Sized Guide to Understanding, Controlling, and Taming Your Very Own Demon!  By the oh so wonderfully fabulous Lady Kagura, Mistress of the Western Lands.
 
Her eyebrows shot up. “Lord Sesshomaru let Lady Kagura write something like this?” 
 
Kagome laughed. “Oh, it gets worse.” She flipped the book open to the first page, letting Sango read over her shoulder. 
 
Despite herself, she had to laugh a few times. It was good to see Lady Kagura hadn't changed much. 
 
Kagome paused over the section about binding necklaces. “I should probably take Inuyasha's off. I haven't really needed them lately.” she mused, not seeing Sango's own scowl about the remainder of her experience with the binding prayer beads. 
 
“Don't rush it.” Sango grumbled, thinking about Kikyo. “You might need it again sooner then you think.” 
 
“Oh, good. I was wondering what the new color meant. I noticed the blue this morning, but I didn't want to freak Inuyasha out. He didn't know what gray meant, so I wasn't sure about blue.” Kagome rolled her eyes, starting to skim chapter 3.
 
Sango's heart sank. “Kagome-”
 
Her head snapped, picking up bits and pieces of Miroku's conversation with Inuyasha. “Look Inuyasha, I completely understand your reluctance to involve Kagome in anyway. I feel the exact same. If Sango is the one to kill Kikyo or Naraku, she dies. I need your help to make sure that doesn't happen.”
 
“What the hell are you talking about?”
 
“Help me and we can keep our women completely out of it. Neither of them have to be involved.” 
 
Sango snarled just as Kagome gasped. 
 
Her finger ran back over the line, unsure if she had read it correctly the first time. Black-Betrayer/planning on betraying you/some form of betrayal is in his future plans for you. Watch out for this one sister dears.
 
“I don't understand.” Her vision tunneled, until she could only see the words on the page, decorated by red spots. “Betrayal? But how, if we're what could he possibly betray me for...”
 
A strangled sound broke out of her throat as her heart was crushed. 
 
Sango shot up off the bed, claws out and teeth bared. “Kikyo is alive!” she snapped, unable to coddle Kagome while her fingers ached from being to clean and bloodless. “Now come on, you can fry Inuyasha while I tear Miroku's flesh off.”
 
Her power circled her with a pained wail, splashing purple light on the walls. She felt Kirara rub against her legs before dashing out of the room after her mistress.
Kagome used that moment of comfort to steady herself before she let her anger sweep her up. She used her rage like armor, to cover every part of her, to surround her heart, which felt on the verge of crumbling.
 
Taking strength from her fury, Kagome closed the book cover, and slowly stood up
 
She didn't know how much she looked like the mikos of old. Like the potent women who wore power like cloth, who were the justice makers and protectors of all, who were the final law to human and demonkind.  She didn't understand that the reason Kirara had immediately taken to her, was because the neko recognized the strength inside of Kagome...and revered it. She didn't realize how much she resembled her ancestor, Midoriko, one of the most gifted priestesses of all time, or how she appeared just as Midoriko did when she had cast Inuyasha into that cursed mirror; angry, hurt....terrifyingly powerful.
 
Bathed in the light of that power, power stood unmatched for centuries, Kagome walked out the door after Sango....and Inuyasha.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------
 
To anyone confused, or questioning the end, don't worry! I know what I'm doing. Kagome isn't completely fine and that's going to show next chapter. Until then, review!