InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Summon a Mate ❯ November 10, Noon ( Chapter 22 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
AN: Sorry again! My one month break turned into seven. (It’s not entirely my fault though! I accidentally discovered Korean dramas. They’re insanely addictive.) Hope this chapter makes up for it! LOTS happening!

Quick question I really hope someone can help me out with. I use Pages on a Mac and normally just convert the document to Microsoft so I can upload it. Not working for whatever reason, which is why this is updated so late here. Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong, or is there another writing system I should be using?


But I did want to tell you guys, I have a more active account on fanfiction dot net. Same user name, and if you guys review there, I can get back to you quicker. (Plus, I have things on there I haven’t uploaded here;) Just wanted to let you know.


atLeastElise: Thank you! I’m trying really hard to build good characters, so I’m glad you appreciate them. Sorry for the lateness! But here it is now! (And thanks for the three reviews! :)


Unistar: Thank you! Glad you liked it, as always. Sorry my updating when I can turned out to be updating in seven months. But thanks so much for sticking with me!


Shiva_Goddess: Thank you! I’m so glad I managed to win you over, lol. I use a Mac and Pages for the stories I write, so things always get a little funky when I convert it. I’ve noticed that, but I have no idea how to fix it...:( If it’s too difficult, I have an account on fanfiction dot net you can use. Thanks so much for reviewing though!


SplendentGoddess: This chapter ended up being 21 pages, so you’ll have those questions answered and then some. (Fair warning, next chapter is 23 pages. So if something isn’t answered here, it probably will be next chapter.) Thanks so much for reviewing again! And I’m sorry it took me so long to get the new chapter out.


Kmn1829: You’re about to find out! ;) Thank you for reviewing!


Nekotaishou: Read after the disclaimer, and you’ll find out...some of it. ;) Thanks for the review!


Inari-foxgoddess: Teehee. I’m sorry, I can’t help it. Cliffhangers are my favorites. Especially with seven month waits. ;)


Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha and I am making no money off this story.

=====================================================================

November 10, Noon


Fuck. What the hell did he say that for?


Inuyasha’s face was stark as Kagome stomped away from him. His legs tensed, his body instinctively preparing to move towards her, only stopping when Sango moved in front of him and glared.


“Stay here, idiot.” the demon slayer hissed before quickly turning around and following Kagome. Kirara bared her little cat fangs at him from Kagome’s arms before they disappeared out of sight.


Inuyasha stood stunned, not knowing whether going after the women would help or cause more trouble. He nearly flinched when he felt Miroku touch his shoulder, “I’m not sure what’s going on,” the young monk said, “but you should give Kagome some space, Inuyasha, it might help her calm down if she doesn’t see you right now.”


Inuyasha deflated and let himself drop back onto the couch. He hadn’t meant that the way it came out. He just didn’t want Kagome to get hurt and it frustrated him that she kept stubbornly putting herself in danger.


Miroku settled in the armchair, studying him carefully. “But we can be frank now that Kagome is out of the room. We know Kikyo is alive. We know Naraku is alive. And we need your help killing them both.”


Inuyasha’s head snapped up, his face instantly going blank. “I don’t know what the hell you’re talki-”


“Inuyasha!” Miroku snapped, interrupting the denial on his lips, “No more games. We know and there’s no way you can convince us otherwise.”


“...Feh.”


“Sango knows Kikyo’s scent but has been unable to track her, we assume this is because of a spell,” he said, pausing to look at Inuyasha for confirmation. Inuyasha simply stared back blankly, not wanting to admit that he actually had no idea how Kikyo was hiding from the demonslayer. “And,” Miroku continued, “Sango knows about Naraku after spending so long guarding him. She just has no way of getting to him. But you can help us on both accounts.”


Inuyasha drummed his claws into the arm of the couch, stopping when he snagged the fabric. “What do you expect me to do?” he asked, sounding exasperated even to his own ears.


“You can get us into the treasury to Naraku. We would go to Lord Sesshomaru, but he’s kept Naraku alive this long for a reason, whatever it may be, we doubt he’ll simply let us walk in and kill him.”


Inuyasha wisely kept his mouth closed, knowing his brother would kill him, and attempt to bring him back to kill him all over again if he said a word.


“And you must have some idea about how to track Kikyo.” Miroku continued determinedly. “I won’t believe you if you tell me you don’t.”


Inuyasha felt his hackles raise. “Yeah, well I don’t.” he shot back, pissed off. Screw Miroku. Who was he to accuse him like that?


And it didn’t matter that he did know, it annoyed him that Miroku would assume so.


Kikyo’s phone number lingered in the back of his mind. Did he really want to hunt Kikyo down to help kill her? In spite of everything that had happened, everything revealed, the thought left a bad taste in his mouth. Kikyo had betrayed him, lied to him, and helped imprison him for 500 years.


But all of that had led him straight to Kagome.


500 years was a long time. If he hadn’t been trapped in the mirror he could have left the country, started to have been groomed for Sesshomaru’s heir or killed by accident by Kouga during one of their sparring sessions. It could have been years longer before he met Kagome, as a totally different person. Or maybe not at all. The thought alone made his chest ache.


So for delivering him right into Kagome’s hands, he couldn’t help kill Kikyo...but he wouldn’t stop anyone from doing so either.


Inuyasha shook his head. “Have fun with the hunt, but I’m not going to help you.”


Miroku narrowed his eyes, “Is this about Kagome? Are you still trying to protect her?”


Inuyasha was amazed at Miroku’s stupidity. “I’ll always protect her, moron.”


Miroku glanced at the stairs before leaning forward. “Look Inuyasha, I completely understand your reluctance to involve Kagome in any way.” he dropped to a whisper. “I feel exactly the same. If Sango is the one to kill Kikyo or Naraku, she dies. I need your help to make sure that doesn’t happen.”


“What the hell are you talking about?”


“Help me and we can keep our women completely out of it. Neither of them have to be involved.”

Inuyasha’s mouth dropped and his respect for Miroku reluctantly rose. The man wanted to go behind Sango’s back and kill without her. That took some serious balls. It was too bad she was going to kill him when she found out.

No one stopped Sango from completing her duty.

Inuyasha shook his head. “You just signed your execution order, moron.”

“Aren’t you listening to me? Sango will die if she’s the one to kill them. I’m prepared to do everything in my power to keep that from happening. Are you just as ready to protect Kagome?” Miroku challenged.

Inuyasha stiffened. “You’re not listening to me. I won’t help you. I won’t let Kagome help you. I want both of us to be left out of it.”

Miroku stared at Inuyasha like he was the moron. “Do you really think Kikyo will allow you to stay out of it?”

Inuyasha scowled back at him...for an idiot he might have a point.

Suddenly goosebumps rippled over his flesh and the hair on the back of his neck stood up. His ears burrowed under his hair for protection, feeling achy and quivering. Miroku shuddered when a strong aura of power suddenly pulsed through the air. It was like one of Kagome’s classmates scratching his fingernails along a chalkboard, only a hundred times worse.

Inuyasha sprung up with a snarl, claws out and teeth bared, immediately suspecting Kikyo. But the power signature wasn’t quite hers and he had just realized he wasn’t going to betray Kagome that morning. There was no way she could have known that so quickly. She was good, but not that good.

Miroku abruptly hit the floor, landing on his back only to find Sango crouched above him from out of nowhere with red eyes and dripping fangs. “Keep me out of it, hmm? ‘Protect’ me from my own duty?” She hissed, digging her claws into the floor by his head. “Do you really think you have any right, mate or not, to concern yourself over my mission?” She was furious beyond reason, and yet her full attention wasn’t on her mate. Otherwise Miroku would be dealing with a lot worse then a scolding.

And then Kagome walked down the stairs.

Inuyasha’s heart fell somewhere around his feet and the rest of his body went numb with shock, his mind screaming in denial.

Kikyo might not have figured out he wasn’t going to betray Kagome after all...but it appeared Kagome had just found out his original intentions for her.

Fuck.

Her power completely engulfed her, ragged purple petals circling her relentlessly, as she slowly lowered each foot, almost considering her steps. Her hair whipped wildly around her head, her fingers were clenched into trembling fists, but other than that, she appeared calm, her face serene, her steps even and slow. The old sweats she wore should have made her seem less terrifying, but there was little that would mute that rage.

Guilt swarmed him, almost drowning out the anger at himself and the sinking feeling he’d been found out. But damn it, she had to know things were different now. He’d go to his death defending her. She had enough pain to last a lifetime, nothing else was going to touch her if he had something to say about it. Which he did. Because he was her mate and he wouldn’t let anything change that.

He squared his shoulders, determined to take it like a man. Besides, she had to have seen the blue, right?

Kagome reached the foot of the staircase, her bare feet making no sound on the wooden floors. She stared at Inuyasha, her lips tight, and her mind locked tighter. So there would be no melding to figure out the right things to say or if he should just get to groveling right away. No way of knowing if her ‘voices’ were speaking up in defense of him or different ways to fry him.

“Mate, I can explain-”

“Is Kikyo alive?” Kagome barely blinked, her tone soft even as more petals littered the air.

Hesitating, Inuyasha felt even more uneasy. He wanted to lie to her even though they both knew the truth. The words got lodged in his throat, unwilling to be spoken. “Kagome-”

“Answer me mate,” she said, her voice biting out the last word, “is Kikyo alive?” Petals exploded from Kagome, purple settling over every inch of the living room. Sango immediately sprung up out of the way, dragging Miroku with her. They lingered in the doorway, exchanging glances as they tried to decide how much to intervene. They liked Inuyasha, but there was no way in hell they were getting in the way of a pissed off, untrained, powerful miko. And she deserved to know.

Kagome didn’t break her gaze away from Inuyasha, her normally warm eyes colder than his brother's. “Is your old lover, the one you cared enough about to consider marriage, the one who stuck you in that mirror for 500 years, Kikyo the great miko, Kikyo the betrayer, alive?”

Inuyasha didn’t wince when the petals covering his shoulders and head began to sting, quivering and shaking on top of him, wanting her to hurt him more so this goddamn guilt wouldn’t feel so heavy. “Please, just let me-”

“Is she or isn’t she?” Kagome asked again, her voice steady, her eyes impossible to read, “I want to hear it from you.”

His shoulders sagged, feeling truly defeated for the first time in his life. He couldn’t look at her face, so he focused on the petals at his feet, the ragged edges as sharp as knifes. “...yes.”

The petals burst into purple flames that twisted and raged silently on whatever surface they had landed, but only burning Inuyasha.

Red welts began to form on his bare feet before he jerked his gaze back to Kagome, not registering the pain of the flames when her agonized expression hurt so much worse. “Kagome, you have to let me explain-”

“You lied to me. You’ve been lying to me this entire time,” she pointed out, her jaw tense.

He forced himself not to break eye contact with her, even though being stabbed through the heart would have been less painful. “Because things are different now! I don’t love Kikyo anymore. Just look at your-”

“Why should I believe your words now?” Kagome interrupted. The purple flames covered her like a cape, protecting her from him. “I’ve always been clear about my feelings, whereas it looks like you’ve been deceiving me since we met.”

Inuyasha had never wanted to meld with her so badly, needing to share his feelings with her so she could understand. “Enough. You have to let me explain mate, so much has changed.”

Kagome lifted her head stubbornly, her eyes blank but her flames growing brighter. “I don’t have to do anything...mate.”

Inuyasha frowned, frustration beginning to override his panic at being caught. Did she have to fight with him now? He was willing to beg and grovel but she had to be willing to listen. He might have been a dumb ass, but he wanted to fix this.

“Damn it Kagome, I’m trying to tell you why I did it!” He brushed the burning flames off his shoulders, growing more annoyed. “But this all would be settled a lot easier if you would look at your-”

“No.” Kagome interrupted again, her eyes finally registering an emotion...pain.

Inuyasha felt his heart break, literally felt a deep pain in his chest as he looked at her. He took a cautious step towards her, afraid she was going to shatter. She had never looked more fragile, despite the show of power. His heart twisted painfully again. He just wanted to sweep her up and keep her from anything that might hurt her, unfortunately, that was him right now, “Kagome, I’m so-”

“No!” Her head snapped up, her eyes blazing with fury before shuttering again, hiding behind a blank face.

Damn it, now she was being ridiculous again. “Would you just-”

“SIT!”

Inuyasha’s face slammed into the floor, pain racking up and down his body. “Kagome!” he growled into the hard wood floor, only getting her footsteps in return.

“Sango,” the young miko called without turning to look at the demonslayer, “we’re leaving.”

“Kagome, please try to calm down." Miroku started, his voice low and soothing, "Sango’s not going anywhere with you, we're all going to stay here and try to figure this out-”

“Shut up Miroku." Sango responded, pushing Miroku back on the ground and picking up Kirara. "Lead the way Kagome."

“KAGOME!” Inuyasha roared into the floor, hating the magic that kept him bound to the wood. What the fuck was she doing? Did all women go crazy when a man wanted to explain himself?

“Sit.” she called over her shoulder as she and Sango left, the door slamming behind them.

Inuyasha groaned when the weight pressing him down doubled.

What the hell just happened?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Kagome grabbed Sango’s wrist and, without another word, dragged her down the temple steps, almost running. Her power masked itself instinctively, surrounding her in a comforting embrace.

“So what’s the plan?” Sango dutifully kept up with Kagome, not seemingly nervous being around so much power that could fry her.

“We’re leaving.” Kagome said determinedly, brushing away the few tears that had escaped. Just saying the words aloud felt...good. So many times she had dreamed of running away. When the police knocked on their door. When her father’s funeral pyre was lit. When her mother began slipping further and further away from her, and Souta hung on Dr. Saito’s every word. When she felt so lonely she wanted to die, until she learned to push it away, to be fine. But she had hung on. She stayed.

It was almost cliche that in the end, it was a guy who was finally making her run from herself.

But she had reached her breaking point. She couldn’t handle anything more from Inuyasha. Not any more lies, not any more truth. She just wanted to run and hide. It was childish and immature, but she was past caring. Just how much more was she expected to endure?

Kagome paused leading Sango down the temple steps. “SIT!” she screamed. “SITSITSITSITSITSITSITTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!” She wanted no chance that Inuyasha would follow her.

If Sango thought she had lost her mind, she didn’t show it. “Sounds fun.” she remarked mildly. “Let’s just make sure Kirara go too.”

As if reminding them she was perched on Sango’s shoulder, Kirara mewed and rubbed her head against her master's neck.

Kagome paused thoughtfully, her mind working out a plan before nodding. “I think we can manage that.”

“Follow me.” She was suddenly very glad she'd forgotten to remove her money from her sweats before washing them. With a new sense of purpose, Kagome led Sango towards the nearest subway entrance...she was going to get some answers. Hopefully Kagura didn't mind the intrusion...

------------------------------------------------------

Kagura only lifted a brow when her elevator doors opened, silently assessing them. “Chickadee, I love visits from you, but in the future just mention my name and cut back on terrifying the doorman, ‘k? It’s not his fault he’s demonic enough to be hurt by your angry miko-ness. But come in, come in! You just missed Sess. I kicked him out after he hid my whiteout again. And I had just gotten a couple of cases of it. Men. Demon or not, they’re all annoying.”

Kagome stepped out, Sango close on her heels. She liked elevators about as much as she liked subways.

Scooping Kirara off her shoulder, Sango stepped out of the elevator and knelt gracefully into a warrior's bow, her gaze respectfully downcast. “Lady Kagura. It is an honor to see you again.”

Kagura stopped short, her eyes widening “Sango," she said, her voice incredulous. "Sango! It really is you!" She exclaimed, quickly sweeping the taller woman into a fierce hug, "I almost didn’t believe Kagome when she told me you were still around. I’m so glad you see you alive and well!"

Kagura released the tense warrior from her embrace and looked at her face, as if confirming once again, that yes, it was her, "We were all worried about you when you disappeared. Sess sent out a search party, but finally gave you a military funeral.”

Sango blinked, moving back slightly from Kagura to let Kirara crawl up her arm. “I was declared dead?”

“Well there was no way you left. Willingly anyway. We assumed someone on a revenge mission managed to ambush you.”

Sango softened in relief, relaxing more easily into Kagura’s arms. “I wasn’t declared a deserter?” she asked again softly. “I was worried...”

Kagura snorted. “Of course not. You had the trust of Midoriko and Sess. That wasn’t anyone’s concern. The only way you weren’t coming to work was if you were dead. I’m so glad you’re not, by the way. Your fangs are totally fierce.”

She finally released Sango and stepped back, looking them all over again. “We’re all pissed at our men, am I right? Don’t worry, I have chocolate and wine! Except for you Kag. No wine yet. And cream for Kirara. Over here now, we’ll all be better in no time.”

Sango stared at Kagura with more then a little awe as she ushered them into the living room, chocolates weighing down the table in between the couches. “This is very impressive,” she acknowledged, her interest piqued by what seemed to be a miniature fountain flowing with the treat.

Shaking her head at such odd, but appealing, modern gadgets, Sango turned to Kagura and asked, "But is this not....excessive for only three people?"

Shrugging, Kagura settled Kagome down with a plate of chocolate creams, pouring a glass for herself and Sango. Scooping a little cream out of a bowl and onto a plate she put it on the floor for Kirara, who bounded down from Sango to lick it up greedily. “Well, what's the point of having Sesshomaru’s credit card if not to enjoy it? Especially when I’m angry.”

She leaned back against the couch cushions across from them, elegant in jeans and a long draped sweater. “So what’s up sisters dear? And what do you need me to do so you get even with your darling men?”

Kagome, whom up until now, Kagura observed, had been unusually quiet , simply stared at the plate of chocolates in her lap. Her powers however spiked suddenly, as if tensing around her at the mere mention of her poor-idiotic-clueless-mate.

"Kagome," Kagura asked, sidling up gingerly to the young miko, "is there something you want to share with the class?"

“Kikyo is alive. Inuyasha was going to betray me,” she said, her voice soft, but her words firm. No anger, not sadness, just a simply stated fact.

Kagura winced. “Ouch. Okay, well I guess that puts the whole "Sess stealing my white out" into perspective then.” She paused to sip her wine. “At least he came clean about it.”

“Technically... I was the one to mention it.” Sango spoke up, slightly angry at herself for the fact now. It wasn't like Kagome didn't deserve to know, but maybe she hadn't handled it as...tactfully as she should have.

Looking at the young woman now, Sango couldn't help but grimace at the memory of exactly how she'd mentioned it...tact definitely wasn't her strong suit.

“It’s still out in the open." Kagura said, shrugging and helping herself to a chocolate strawberry, "Now you can guilt him about it for a few centuries and move on.” Already her mind was plotting suggestions for Kagome. Maybe she could spin them off into a new book...

Ignoring the chocolates, Kagome set her plate aside to get up, her eyes suddenly sparking with anger. “You’re speaking as if I will forgive him,” she mentioned, her tone light and a little wondrous, as if the idea itself was laughable.

Kagura licked chocolate off her lips, “Trust me chickadee, it’ll be easier for everyone involved to eventually let him off the hook. You’re stuck with him forever after all.”

Kagome crossed her arms and smiled softly, but her power practically rumbled under her skin. “I’m sorry Kagura, but after all that’s happened, well, I doubt that the “happily ever after” you seem to be hoping for is going to happen.” Kagome met her eyes then, and her smile fell, “in fact, I’m sure of it.”

Kagura wasn’t fooled, behind that calm demeanor, Kagome was pissed. Pissed and hurt, not a great combination when mixed with the powers rolling off her.

Slowly putting her wine glass down, Kagura dropped the cheery facade and simply asked the question that had been plaguing her since the miko walked in. “Kagome, to be clear...what exactly are you mad about?”

“What do you mean?” Kagome asked just as simply, “Kikyo is alive, and Inuyasha was going to betray me. Should I be happy?” Kagome inquired, her tone slightly amused.

Kagura arched an eyebrow at the response. “No...you should be pissed as hell, but things are different now.”

“Just what is different?” Kagome practically snapped, her anger sparking a bit more. “He was going to betray me. Why should I forgive anything if he’s proven himself to be untrustworthy?”

Kagura continued lounging gracefully across the chaise, perfectly content to sit serenely while Kagome fought against her own temper, her calm demeanor beginning to crack.

Kagura’s chin was propped in her hand as she studied the young miko, all traces of warmth and joking gone from her eyes. “Trust me chickadee, I’m not saying that Inuyasha is blameless or bastard-less for what he was planning...but have you even looked at your palm?”

Kagome stiffened, and that didn’t do a thing to stop her power from raging inside her. “What are you saying? Of course I have.”

“I mean recently. Like...today, for instance.”

Sango looked back and forth between them, confused at what Kagura was getting at. Without thinking, she dropped her chocolate strawberry back onto her plate and subtly set her wine down, shifting her body slightly so that she could leap in between the two women if need be.

Kagome’s fist tightened, almost imperceptibly, as the young woman fought to reign in her anger. “...Why are you asking?”

Kagura lifted an eyebrow before reaching under the table to swipe up a handbook, lazily flipping pages. “Humor me and take a gander.”

Her fingers felt like they were clenched too tight to open. Slowly, she forced them to unfurl, her heart pounding from fear of what she knew she would find.

...blue. A gloriously deep hue of blue. It spoke of the fathomless blue spread of the ocean, the unending stretch of blue sky. Blue was imbedded into the skin of her palm, sinking into the veins that carried blood through her heart. With every pump, she imagined it coursing throughout her body, sweeping Inuyasha’s proof of love everywhere.

Love. Inuyasha loved her. Her. Kagome Higurashi, not Kikyo.

“Blue is a sign of a happy, loving union.” Kagura pointed out a bit unnecessarily. “Yashie might have had his doubts in the beginning, so yes, be angry. I don’t know what his motivation was, but the moron wanted to betray you. Please, go home and beat him silly. He deserves worse. But Kagome-” Kagura leaned forward, her dark eyes intent. “It’s fucking hard to avoid looking at your hands. It takes a lot of effort. I wouldn’t know, considering my shame is easily hidden with long hair. But I bet you could teach me some good avoidance techniques judging by how long it took you to react to the new color.”

Her power snarled, forcing the hairs on the back of her neck and arms to stand up. She could feel a line of petals form around her neck and wrists, pulsing angrily. “Your point?”

Kagura threw the handbook at Kagome’s feet, making Sango jump from the noise. “You knew what the colors meant. You might not have paid a lot of attention to the other ones since you were more concerned with black, but you must have had some idea!” Kagura raged, her cheeks flushed. “ You know what color your mark is, how Inuyasha feels and yet you’re not happy. You’re angry, but it’s not because of Kikyo or his possible betrayal!”

Kagura waved away the denials that began to form on the miko’s lips, “Granted, perhaps at first it was! But now...Kagome, you now have undeniable proof of his feelings for you!” Kagura sat back on her chaise, her face the picture of confusion, “Kagome...just what the hell is going through your head? Because coming from an expert, it’s not making any sense.”

“Well, like you keep saying, I’m weird.” Kagome replied with a brittle smile, “I get all the problems, and none of the rewards. The broken family. The creepy mark. The ‘solemn’ duty of risking myself to kill some ancient evil. The same ancient evil my mate was in love with and going to betray me over. So excuse me if I’m getting tired of it!” Her voice broke at the end, frustration warring with her anger. She felt old all of a sudden. And so unbelievably tired. It was too much.

Kagura rolled her eyes, “Ah, hello, those benefits are about to start rolling in! As far as I’m concerned, the betrayal thing is a lucky break since you can hold that above his head for the rest of eternity. And once you save me with your new kick-ass powers, the Lord of the West, one of the most powerful demons in the entire world, will be at your debt. And I feed you awesome food. Look, I get that being almost betrayed is painful-”

“It’s not just that!” Kagome snapped, tempted to start pulling her hair out. “This, this-” she held her mark away from her like it was disgusting. “This is worse than that!”

The blue hurt her eyes, but she forced herself to stare at it anyway. “This...this he can hurt me with.” she whispered, feeling small. “I could have gotten over the betrayal if it had happened. I was strong before. After everyone had left me, I had learned how to get by. How to push it away and ignore it. It was easy to pretend to be fine. But then last night...”

She closed her hand into a fist when tears pricked at her eyes, trying to focus on the pain her nails caused instead. “I was weak. I let myself depend on Inuyasha. Not to leave me, for death, or depression, or coping. But to be there for me.” A grim smile touched her mouth. “To put the pieces back together.”

She shook, increasingly unaware of Kagura’s and Sango’s complete attention on her. “And he did. He picked up the pieces but he didn’t do it right. He changed them around and made them fit differently. He mixed in pieces of himself. And now the pieces won’t fit right without him.”

Kagura and Sango glanced at each other, completely confused but afraid to ask.

“Don’t you see? Inuyasha can hurt me!” Kagome’s nails dug harder into the moon. “He can leave me, and take his pieces away forever. And if those pieces are gone, I won’t even be able to be fine again.” she laughed darkly. “And to think I was happy this morning about it. Like it was some great thing. But now I see he can leave me, just like the others. But now he’s made me so fucking vulnerable.”

Her furious gaze swung back to Kagura, suddenly remembering she was there. “So of course I’m only looking at the black. There’s no way I can deal with the blue yet.”

Kagura waited a beat. “Kagome, you still haven’t explained how all this will happen if he loves you.”

“Because now he’ll be nicer. Sweeter. More tender. He’ll look at me the way a guy should look at his girl, and I’ll melt. I won’t stand a chance. He’ll make me love him.” Kagome explained, clearly miserable.

Kagura raised a brow. “Ah chickadee...you already do.”

Her heart dropped and her power died down, defeated. Her eyes started to water, even with the shame that accompanied it. “I know, and I...I’m scared.”

Kagura’s face fell in concern. “Oh honey.”

Before Kagome could drag in a shuddering breath, Kagura prodded her to the couch, forcing her to lean against her as she rubbed her back soothingly. Slightly more uneasy, Sango clumsily patted her shoulder.

“I hate this!” Kagome raged, feeling the fabric of Kagura’s expensive shirt start to grow wet. “I was never like this before him. I never even felt the urge to cry.”

Kagura started to rock back and forth. “That evil bastard. Go ahead sweetie, it’s all his fault.”

“I didn’t think it would be like this. So...consuming. If I had known this is where I would have ended up, I would have fought more.” If only she had hit him harder with the candy bowl. She could have knocked him out, and run away, had him carted off to jail for breaking and entering, never gotten to know him and avoided this pain, this uncertainty.

“You still can. God knows the moron still has a lot of explaining to do and cash to burn. It’ll be alright Kag, I promise.”

“But it’ll hurt worse when he goes.” Kagome muttered stubbornly, still trying to resist. “A bitch like Kikyo I can rage against, have something to blame. That’s easy to focus on. What am I supposed to do when she’s not the problem anymore? When all there’s left is...this?”

“Then you deal with it.” Kagura pointed out matter-of-factly. “You’re worried about being vulnerable, well dealing with Inuyasha is the best way to take care of it.”

“He can still leave me. Love doesn’t change that.” Kagome tried again. “It just hurts worse.”

Sango sighed. “Kagome, look.” She pried her fingers away from Kagura’s shoulder, shoving the mark under her nose. “The mark is blue. He loves you. Whatever he had with Kikyo is just that, past tense. All the ways you’re worried he’ll leave you by...it’ll all be unwilling.”

“She’s right. You’re completely stuck with him.” Kagura chimed in. “You’re pretty much screwed.”

Kagome only sobbed harder into Kagura’s neck, no traces of her anger remaining.

Still rocking her back and forth, Kagura smoothed her hand over Kagome’s hair. “I know it’s scary chickadee. It’s one of the reasons I fought Sesshomaru so hard. I get it. But let me tell you something as a woman that’s fallen. One day you’ll wake up, see him lying next to you...and it won’t be so scary anymore. It’ll become as expected as your next breath.”

Kagome finally fell silent, her body limp and depending completely on the support of Kagura to hold her up. “It was almost like that this morning.” she whispered, suddenly wishing with all her might to be back in the moment with Inuyasha.

“See? Hush now Kagome, everything’s going to be all right.” Kagura gently pushed Kagome up, wiping her tears away with the edge of her sweater. “Now be the tough, hearing-voices-crazy chickadee I know you as, eat some chocolate and come up with ways to get him back. I would get rid of all TV channels except for Lifetime, but that’s just me.” She reached over to hand Kagome her plate back to her, the sparkle back in her eyes. “Movies about battered women and eating disorders gets them in a different frame of mind fast.”

Kagome chuckled weakly, finally biting into one of her chocolates. She still felt upset but not as frantically panicked. Steadier almost, without crossing back to the numbness she was so used to feeling.

Clapping her hands, Kagura snapped her attention to Sango. “One crisis averted, another one to go! What can Dr. Kagura help you with today?”

Sango paused with a piece of dark chocolate halfway to her mouth, eyes wide.

“C’mon, you can share with us!” Kagura encouraged. “I’d love to hear about your mate. I’ve never heard of a case of a human being turned into a demon, so the mate aspect should be insanely interesting.”

Sango slowly put the chocolate in her mouth, chewing thoughtfully. “I had never heard of it either to be honest.” she admitted. “I’m still not sure exactly what Midoriko did.”

Kagura leaned forward eagerly, wishing for a pen and paper but worried about offending Sango. “What happened that day?”

“Midoriko summoned me when she was in labor with her child. She told me she was sorry she had to do it, but I was the only one she trusted to go after Kikyo and Naraku. However, there was no way I could assassinate her when she was so loved, so Midoriko decided I should wait for the right time to be released.” Sango started to explain, twirling her wine glass between her fingers. She stared at the remains of the liquid, her mind 500 years away from them. “It was painful. A thousand times worse then any injury I’d ever received. I could feel my body morphing. My bones broke and reshaped themselves, muscles tore, everything felt like it was on fire... and then there was just darkness.”

“Did she say some sort of spell? Do a ritual?” Kagura asked. “It should be impossible to turn a human into a demon.”

Sango shrugged. “Her power wrapped around me, and that was that. She told me I would remain a demon until I slay Kikyo and Naraku. That was the last thing I ever heard her say.”

Kagome listened closely, easily distracted from her own problems by Sango’s story. “Where did she get the power to transform you? She was clearly dying. Her ribbons were frayed and ratty.”

Sango looked over, brow furrowed. “Ribbons? What ribbons?”

“Her power. Don’t you remember, she had those long strands of light? I always thought they looked like ribbons.”

There was a strange expression on Kagura’s face. “Kagome, where do you think the flame on your hand comes from? Her power appeared as fire. It was well known as her symbol and her seal. Where are you getting this ribbon idea from?”

Kagome stared back at them. “I’m positive the only flames I saw in Sango’s memory were the flames the prayer beads created. Ribbons emerged from Midoriko. Didn’t you see it that way Sango?”

She shook her head. “I was definitely surrounded by fire when Midoriko changed me.”

Kagura and Sango exchanged worried glances. “Ribbons.” Kagura repeated, shaking her head. “Chickadee, you are getting weirder and weirder.”

“Maybe it’s because of some family bond?” Sango suggested.

“Maybe.” Kagura said doubtfully. “I’ve never heard of a miko being able to see each other’s power signatures differently, but maybe it’s something no one in the craft has ever mentioned. I’ll have to make some calls.” she sighed. “My to-do list is getting longer and longer because of you.”

“Sorry.” Kagome said simply, not sure what else to say. She hadn’t even considered there was anything different in the way she saw Midoriko's power.

Kagura popped a piece of chocolate in her mouth. “Eh, at least things are lively again. It’s been boring the last few centuries.” A thoughtful look crossed her face when she glanced back at Sango. “...prayer beads?”

Sango’s face tightened, not revealing anything.

Kagura gasped, nearly spilling her wine. “That was you?!? You were the demon mate that stupid asshole put in prayer beads?”

Face still stark, Sango just nodded once.

Kagura sat back, looking disgusted. “Give me your new address and I’ll send the demon slayers for him right now. I’ll give you plenty of warning so you don’t accidentally link up with him while they’re taking care of him.”

Finally finished with her cream, Kirara hopped onto Sango’s lap, purring. Sango’s fingers settled in her cat’s fur, stroking her slowly. “Thank you, but I’ve already taken care of it. And-” she hesitated, looking down at Kirara. “-he’s getting better.”

Kagura’s mouth dropped. “...please don’t tell me I have to worry about you becoming one of those battered women.”

“Of course not!” Sango snapped. “Don’t be ridiculous. It’s just...he’s actually starting to try. And he ripped the beads apart. They’re unusable now.”

Kagura didn’t look convinced. “I’d still feel better if you had the slayers on speed dial.” she grumbled.

Sango blinked blankly. “Speed dial?”

“...Can’t you see he’s abusing you?” Kagura wailed. “How can you live in the 21st century and not know about speed dial? Has he kept you under a rock?”

Privately, Kagome wondered how much she was teaching Inuyasha about the new era he had found himself in. Would he have known what it was either?

Sango shrugged, unconcerned. “There’s no point to learning much about this century. Once I complete my duty, I’ll be free from all this.”

Kagura narrowed her eyes. “Free how?”

“Midoriko said I would be a demon until I killed those two. I imagine I would revert back to human form and pass on to the next world.”

“Wait, you want to die?” Kagome gasped. For a brief, horrible moment she was reminded of her mother all over again.

Sango sighed. “I’m weary, Kagome. This duty is the only reason I’m still alive, and I want to finish it so I can see my family on the other side.”

Instead of freaking out Like Kagome expected her to, Kagura frowned at Sango instead. “I can understand that, but Sango, haven’t you bonded with your asshole mate?”

“...why do you ask?”

“Well it’s just...oh fuck.” Kagura suddenly bent over, clutching her head in her hands. “Fucking bastard.” she hissed, starting to shake.

Kagome put her hand on Kagura’s shoulder, trying to see her face. “Kagura, what’s wrong?”

“Move.”

Kagome jerked back in shock when Sesshomaru was suddenly kneeling in front of Kagura, dislodging her hand in the process. “Where did you come from?” she gasped, her heart pounding. Hadn’t Kagura said she kicked him out?

“Well a long, long time ago, Sesshomaru’s parent’s loved each other very much...” Kagura trailed off from her joke, moaning.

Sesshomaru took one of her hands, letting her dig her fingernails into his skin. “Hush mate. Breath for me.”

Kagura inhaled slowly, her eyes screwed shut. “Ohhh, he’s really pissed today.”

Sesshomaru growled, and Kagome quickly got off the couch, unashamedly sitting close to Sango across from them.

“Naraku.” He snarled, his free hand cupping the side of Kagura’s head. “You will be paid back tenfold for this.”

Kagome gasped, Sango looking on confused.

Kagura winced. “He really didn’t like that.”

Kagome’s power tingled under her skin, making her shift uncomfortably. She narrowed her eyes noticing...something out of the corner of her eye. It was blurred and out of focus, wavering in the air next to Kagura. She shook her head hard, trying to ignore whatever was wrong with her eyes when Kagura was in obvious pain. It dissipated immediately, making her power grumble before settling down.

Sango leaned into her. “What’s going on?”

Kagome just shook her head, knowing better then to be the one to explain.

“I promise you Kagura, it will not be like this forever.” Sesshomaru swore, his eyes beginning to flicker back and forth from red to white.

Kagura managed a weak smile. “I know. I have faith in us.” she gentled her squeeze on his hand so she could lace their fingers together, sweat beginning to bead on her forehead.

She bit down hard on her lip when the sleeve of her sweater turned red before sighing in relief. “He’s gone.”

Sesshomaru didn’t reply, instead stripping the sleeve off the rest of her shirt to examine her arm. “Stay sit and wait for me to retrieve the first aid kit.”

Just as quickly he was gone, and they were left staring at her arm. Kagura sighed, and picked up the discarded sleeve to wipe up her arm. “Don’t worry, it looks worse then is really is.” she tried to reassure them. “It’s really not too deep.”

Kagome opened her mouth to reply, before getting a good look at her arm. Blood flowed slightly from the scratches, but Kagura was right, they weren’t too severe.

It was the shape of a long ribbon cut into her skin, curling into a M that concerned Kagome.

“What the hell?” Sango breathed, noticing the wound.

Kagura glanced down and sighed. “I’m starting to miss my life when it was boring.” she grumbled.

“As I am your mate, you cannot claim to ever be bored.” Sesshomaru pointed out mildly, suddenly appearing out of nowhere again, a big white box in his hands. He stared at her arm, almost wanting to sigh. “Perhaps a little dullness wouldn’t be remiss.”

Kagura arched a brow. “How much did you hear?”

“I returned for paperwork I left in my office almost immediately.” He didn’t want to admit he was hoping she’d share her chocolate with him. Even if he did hide her whiteout on the roof.

He wiped the rest of the blood away, and studied the wound for a moment before spreading antibacterial cream over the cuts. “This is troubling.” he announced.

“Tell me about it.” Kagura agreed.

“Maybe Naraku is just playing with you?” Kagome suggested. “We were just talking about Midoriko and her power.”

Kagura and Sesshomaru glanced at each other. “Naraku’s never done anything like this. He slices and gets out. And besides, I didn’t feel him melding with me until the pain came.”

Sesshomaru only looked at her.

“I really can tell all the time!” she shot back, obviously bringing up an old argument. “He does not meld without me knowing he’s around.”

“Kagura, you are the one who wrote the book.” Sesshomaru reminded her. “The only people who can detect mind melding is a demon’s mate and family. The rules are not different for you.”

Kagura glared at him, “I can tell.” she said again, determined to be stubborn.

Sesshomaru chose to wrap a bandage around her arm instead of arguing further, knowing she wouldn’t give up. It was enough that he knew he was right.

Which meant Kagome could be right as well. Naraku could be fooling them after listening in on their conversation and they were becoming alarmed for no reason.

However...he placed his claw next to one of the cuts. Granted, Sesshomaru was much bigger then Naraku and better in all ways. But the mark was too small and too dull to have come from a demonic hand.

“I hate to interrupt, but what’s going on?” Sango asked carefully.

Kagura sighed before reaching over to pick another chocolate. “I suppose my man problems are a little more complicated then missing whiteout after all.”

-------------------------------------------------------------

Kagome walked slowly towards the temple steps, Sango and Kirara at her side. She was glad she had ‘run away’ for those few hours, even with all the craziness that had happened at Kagura’s apartment. But it was time to go back. She couldn’t avoid it forever.

She glanced over at Sango, who still looked slightly shocked. “Are you ok?”

“Just absorbing.” she said quietly. “Her whole story...it’s a lot to take in.”

Kagome nodded, understanding perfectly. “Thanks for walking me back. Are you sure you want to head to Miroku’s?”

She shrugged, “I will eventually. There’s a few other places I want to stop by.”

“You can come in if you like.” Kagome offered, hopeful.

Sango allowed herself a small smile, and Kagome sighed in defeat. It had been worth a try.

“I’ll see you soon then. Don’t break Miroku into too many pieces!” She tried to force a cheerful note to her tone.

Sango didn’t even blink. “I would never be that sloppy.”

“...er, I’ll just talk to you later then.”

Sango inclined her head once before spinning on her heel and walking off, not looking back.

Kagome shoved her hands into her sweat pockets before looking up at the steps. She wasn’t looking forward to climbing them. Or sneaking into her house. Souta might be home by now, and she didn’t want him to see her walking like her rib had never been injured.

Steeling herself, she began to walk again, dreading reaching the top. And possibly seeing Inuyasha.

Visiting with Kagura had helped, but ultimately, she had to talk to Inuyasha.

As she reached the top, she could hear voices and a ball being kicked around. Kneeling close to the steps, she peeked her head over the top, only to see Inuyasha and Souta kicking a soccer ball around in the courtyard. Her heart stopped, and she crouched lower, trying to hide while still being able to watch at the same time.

“Inuyashaaaaaaaaaaa.” Souta groaned. “You dribble with the side of your foot, not your toes.”

“Feh. Then the ball shouldn’t be round.”

Souta burst out laughing at Inuyasha’s disgruntled face before lining the ball up again. “Just try with the side of your feet.”

“Whatever you say kid.” Inuyasha narrowed his eyes at the ball, determined to try hard for her brother’s sake.

She smiled in spite of herself. For an evil snake bastard, he was amazing with Souta. Especially now, when her brother needed a distraction.

She glanced down at her closed fist. And he loved her.

Her heart wanted to soften, but she wouldn’t let it. Not until they both talked. Now that she was calmer...she would let him say his peace.

Carefully, she crept around the base of the hill until she could reach the house without Inuyasha and Souta spotting her. She knew Inuyasha could probably smell her, but she wasn’t ready to talk to him yet. She just wanted to lock herself in her room for a little extra escape time.

Tomorrow. They would finally talk tomorrow. Souta would be in school, and nothing would distract them. She wanted no interruptions or rushing to make it harder then it already was. Tomorrow she would finally face her demon.

---