InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What A Girl Needs ❯ What A Girl Thinks ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Originally posted June 15, 2005. September 10, 2005 – Very minor edit for clarity.



A big thank-you goes out to Angelica Pierce (my quasi-beta) for sharing her ideas and to both Angelica and Midoriko-sama for kindly letting me bounce my ideas off their sharp brains.

Disclaimer: Rumiko Takahashi owns everything and I humbly bow to her genius.

WARNING: Lime alert. This chapter contains a limey scene….and spanking…sort of.


What a Girl Needs

by Souta’s Sister

Chapter 8 -- What A Girl Thinks



oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

Kagome looked around the empty clearing and noted that her backpack was missing, hopefully taken back to Kaede’s. She figured it would be some time before Inuyasha and the others made it back, so she headed toward the village intent on waiting for them in Kaede’s hut.

Shippou tackled her before she got twenty paces from the well. She landed on her butt with him gripping her neck, sobbing into her hair.

“Kagome! Kagome! He said he wanted you but we didn’t think he’d take you like that and Inuyasha went crazy and Miroku and Sango were scared too and –”

“Shippou-chan!” she interrupted him with concern. “Take a second to breathe, sweetie. It’s okay. I’m here now. You’re going too fast for me to understand what you’re saying. Now, slow down,” she told him with a smile as he clung to her tightly and she rubbed his back gently.

He took a deep breath and loosened his hold on her neck. He leaned back to look up at her with tear-filled eyes. She could see all his fear and sadness in the expression on his face and in his eyes. She kissed his forehead and hugged him, telling him everything would be okay.

He sniffled loudly and said, “I thought he took you from me, Kagome. Please don’t go with him to be his mate. Please stay with us.”

“Are you talking about Sesshoumaru? You don’t have to be afraid, Shippou-chan. I won’t leave you,” she tried to assure the kitsune.

“But, Kagome, he came here yesterday and he told Inuyasha that he wants a human mate now because there aren’t any female youkai around anymore and Inuyasha got really mad and he almost turned full-youkai and he told Sesshoumaru that he would never let him touch you and –”

“Wait, Shippou-chan, you’re going too fast again. Are you saying that Sesshoumaru told Inuyasha that he wants me for a mate?” Kagome was confused. Sesshoumaru just told her that he wants Rin. What was going on?

Shippou thought for a moment and answered honestly. “No, he just said that now he understands why their father, his and Inuyasha’s, took a human mate and that he wanted that too. And he wanted to talk to you and Inuyasha said he couldn’t, and Sesshoumaru told Inuyasha that you are old enough to make up your own mind and –”

“Hold on, Shippou-chan! Calm down. I need you to be very sure about this. Inuyasha thinks Sesshoumaru wants me as a mate, but Sesshoumaru didn’t say that he wants me, right?”

She had to get clarity about what happened because she suspected that Sesshoumaru was actually trying to goad Inuyasha into taking her as a mate by insinuating this vague threat that Sesshoumaru would get her first.

Shippou thought for a moment and replied, “Well, he said he wanted to talk to you and he said he would ‘value’ a mate like his father had…but I don’t think he actually said he wanted you as his mate.” Shippou paused a moment, thinking. “But, Kagome, everyone thinks he wants you and why did he take you if he’s not trying to make you his mate? I don’t want you to go with him. I want you to stay with me,” he pleaded.

Shippou was afraid. He’d once threatened to reveal Inuyasha’s scent-claim to Kagome and Inuyasha had calmly called his bluff, shrugging and daring Shippou to do it. Inuyasha had pointed out that most other youkai wouldn’t let a brat that wasn’t theirs hang around their potential mate, so if someone else took Kagome away from Inuyasha, chances were she’d be taken from Shippou too. Shippou had kept his mouth shut after that and prayed Kagome would always stay with Inuyasha…and himself.

Kagome’s voice comforted him. “Shhhh, it’s okay. I’m not going to leave you. I promise,” she soothed.

Kagome avoided the other question because she’d promised Sesshoumaru not to talk about their conversation. Still, she was angry with Sesshoumaru even more than before. She was sure that he was deliberately trying to manipulate Inuyasha knowing how jealous and reactionary the hanyou could be when it came to Kagome.

If Inuyasha took her as mate, she promised herself, it wouldn’t be because he was goaded into it, not if she had anything to do with it. She needed to know he was not just reacting to a threat or seeking comfort in a replica of someone from his past. She’d never accept him unless it was clear that he wanted her for herself and loved her of his own free will. She couldn’t live with it any other way.

Something else Shippou said came back to her.

“Did you say that Inuyasha turned full-youkai? Is everyone okay?” she asked, alarmed.

“Well, he got the stripes on his face and his eyes started turning red, but Miroku and Sango held him still and Miroku put ofuda on him to seal him. He was trying to go fight Sesshoumaru. I was scared. He finally ran off and we thought he was going to you, but we heard him last night screaming in the forest. I wanted to go see if he was okay but Miroku and Sango said to wait until this morning because he might be dangerous. Didn’t he go see you yesterday, Kagome? Why was he screaming like he was in pain last night?” The agitated kit was still sniffling and talking too fast but she didn’t comment on it.

Kagome was shocked. Had full-youkai Inuyasha gone through the well to her house and trashed her room? What if her family had been at home? Would he have hurt them?

She wasn’t scared for herself since she knew he’d never hurt her before, even when she’d hugged him when he was full-youkai. She had to get more details.

“Shippou-chan, why did Miroku-sama unseal Inuyasha if he was still full-youkai? He could have been hurt or he could have hurt someone else,” she questioned.

“No, they held him until the stripes on his face went away…well they were mostly gone anyway. He was really mad though. I was scared he would hurt you but Sango and Kaede said you could handle him no matter what shape he was in. Did he go see you? What happened? Why was he screaming?” he asked again.

She let out the breath she didn’t realize she had been holding. So he wasn’t full-youkai when he trashed her room…which meant hanyou Inuyasha would feel her wrath soon. As to why he was screaming in the forest, she didn’t have a clue.

“I wasn’t home for most of yesterday, Shippou-chan, so I didn’t see him when he came. And I don’t know what happened last night to make him yell in the forest. Let’s go back to Kaede-obaa-chan’s and wait for the others. Maybe Inuyasha will tell us what happened when he gets back,” she told him tiredly.

She sighed and held onto Shippou as she struggled to stand with his extra weight. He was a lot heavier than he looked she thought absently and wondered if he’d always been this heavy or if she just imagined that he weighed more now than he did when they’d first met him. She sighed mentally and decided she was too tired to think straight. She started walking toward the village as he settled his head on her shoulder, still sniffling a little.

“Did you take my bag back to Kaede-obaa-chan’s for me?” she asked.

“Yeah. Miroku and Sango followed Inuyasha when he took off after you and Sesshoumaru. They told me to stay with Kaede.” He paused a minute and then quietly confessed, “I ate all the Pocky you brought and my stomach hurts.”

She smiled above his head as she continued to walk down the trail holding him close. She didn’t have the heart to fuss at him right now and instead just told him, “Let’s go take a nap, Shippou-chan. I think we both need it and you’ll feel better when you wake up.”

He nodded his head on her shoulder but didn’t speak again. They silently made their way to Kaede’s and found that she was not at home. They settled in for a nap together and Kagome fell asleep immediately.

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

Miroku and Sango rode on Kirara, following the furious hanyou back to Kaede’s. They hadn’t had a chance to speak with him at all since yesterday. They’d gone to look for him this morning to find out if he was okay when suddenly they heard him yelling near the well.

Seeing Kagome being taken by Sesshoumaru had been shocking and they’d had no time to do anything but chase after Inuyasha since then. He was moving very fast and appeared to be only a blur of red and white in the very distant treetops ahead of them.

When Sesshoumaru had passed above them going back toward the well, Inuyasha had turned too and they could tell he had the faint stripes on his face again as he passed them in his pursuit of Kagome’s captor. They hoped he would calm down some before he confronted Kagome…

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

That bastard! He took her! And she went with him! He never heard her yell for help or anything! Fuck! What was the matter with her? Did she want to go with that bastard? Had she already agreed to be Sesshoumaru’s mate? Shit! She had some explaining to do he thought as the village came into sight.

He grabbed her more roughly than he intended and headed out of the hut immediately.

He took in her scent and was relieved to know it wasn’t too late. She stank of his brother but only on the surface. It could be washed away. It would be washed away as soon as possible.

He heard Shippou chasing him and yelling for him not to hurt her and he was briefly angry at the kit for thinking he ever would. He quickly outdistanced the kit and left the village behind. He couldn’t stop now. He was tired but he wouldn’t rest until what needed to be done was done.

He ran with her in his arms toward the secluded hot springs that he had visited only yesterday, knowing they’d have privacy. Sango and Miroku would look for them, he was sure of it, but the area offered some concealment and they were far enough behind him that they’d never know which direction he’d taken Kagome anyway. He was sure they would not interrupt him.

He held her tightly so as not to drop her as she struggled and questioned him. He didn’t answer her, completely focused on getting to their destination and what he would do when they got there. No one would take her from him again. After today, they would know she was his.

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

Shippou stopped running and watched Inuyasha fade from sight. He sighed and hung his head for a moment, silently praying that it would all work out for the couple. He hoped Inuyasha said the right words because Shippou knew Kagome needed to hear them or she’d never be sure of the hanyou’s feelings. He’d heard enough bath-time conversations between Kagome and Sango to at least know that much.

After a moment, he turned and went back to Kaede’s, ignoring the curious villagers along the way, and sat in the open doorway of the hut. He knew Sango and Miroku would come soon and he needed to tell them that Inuyasha took Kagome.

He was suddenly angry at Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha for just grabbing Kagome and taking her away from him. What made them think they had the right to just snatch her up and go?

Shippou wanted Kagome to be happy; he really did. He wanted her to always smile at him and hug him and care for him just like she had since the day they met. Even his own mother, who he had loved and had known she loved him, had never been as affectionate as Kagome was with him and he never wanted any of it to change.

He knew he wasn’t like Inuyasha and he would have never survived alone like the hanyou did. He knew that Kagome had literally saved his life by letting him stay with her all this time…and Inuyasha too. Sure, he had some kitsune tricks and he could hurt someone with some of them, but mostly they were just diversionary tactics that allowed him to escape from danger, not confront it. He knew he could never last in an all out fight with a youkai ten times his own size like Inuyasha could.

Kagome, Inuyasha, Sango, Miroku, Kaede, and Kirara were his family now and he’d do everything he could to make sure it stayed that way. They fed him, they protected him, and they cared for him – some a little more roughly than others he thought wryly. Still, he was sure he’d never find anyone else to care for him if he lost this family, especially if he lost Kagome.

He sighed and hoped again that Inuyasha didn’t hurt her or make her want to leave. He thought of all he would lose if she did leave and became lost in his own worst-case-scenario musings.

About fifteen minutes later, Shippou was pulled from his thoughts when a very tired Kirara landed in front of the hut. She was panting and as soon as Sango and Miroku dismounted, she changed to her smaller form and ran to a bucket of water to begin madly lapping it.

Sango and Miroku took the few steps to the hut and Shippou stood up and backed inside so they could enter. He started to tell them about Inuyasha and Kagome but instead he couldn’t help but comment on Sango’s appearance.

“Sango, you don’t look good. Are you sick? What did you do to her, Miroku?” the kit asked.

Miroku blushed but didn’t answer and Sango gave him a dark look. Shippou was sure Miroku was in trouble but Sango finally just sighed and sat down tiredly. Miroku moved near her but hesitated at sitting too close to her. He settled a few feet away, watching her with a slightly worried expression. Kirara came in and collapsed next to Sango.

“I’m okay, Shippou-chan; it’s just a headache. Can you hand me a glass of water?” she asked the kit.

He did so quickly and she sat drinking the whole glass and ignoring Miroku for as long as she could get away with it.

Sango was suffering the aftereffects of drinking too much the previous night and chasing two difficult male youkai all morning. She was dehydrated, still slightly nauseous, and had a pounding headache. She was angry with the houshi for being so pleasant and gentle with her all day even when she snapped at him and threatened to knock him out permanently. Perversely, his kindness only exasperated her anger with him and herself.

She knew she was being unreasonable but couldn’t help herself. She had agreed to a closer relationship with the houshi and it was making her very nervous on top of her physical discomfort from last night’s sake. What had she been thinking? Gods, she hadn’t been thinking! She’d been feeling and, at the time, everything he’d made her feel had been wonderful.

She’d berated him this morning for getting her drunk and he’d apologized more than once, never arguing with her over whose fault it was. Sango knew it wasn’t completely his fault and she felt guilty for being unfair to him, especially when he let her do it. The whole situation between her and Miroku made her uncomfortable right now and today’s events didn’t give her time to sort it all out in her head.

She sighed and looked up as Shippou handed her two of Kagome’s pills for pain. She smiled her thanks as best she could and took the medicine.

Shippou was losing patience. They’d been back for at least three minutes and neither one had asked about Kagome. He could tell they were tired but they didn’t have time to rest.

“Sango, you have to go after Inuyasha. He took Kagome and ran off with her just like Sesshoumaru. I don’t think she really knows what’s going on and I don’t want her to be unhappy because then she might leave. Please go get her for me,” he pleaded.

Sango jerked back from her thoughts and felt very selfish suddenly. At least she didn’t have aggressive youkai forcing themselves on her like Kagome did and here she was feeling sorry for herself because of an overly amorous houshi. She glanced at him and he gave her a hopeful smile and she realized he’d never force her to do anything she didn’t want to do. She hoped it had more to do with the fact that he cared deeply for her and less to do with him knowing she would beat the crap out of him if he tried.

“Shippou-chan, I’m sorry. I meant to ask where they were when I came in. I’ve been worried about them, too.” She sighed tiredly and picked herself up off the floor. “Where did he take her?” she asked the kit.

“Sango, Kagome-sama will deal with Inuyasha without our help. It was Sesshoumaru who worried me but she is safe now. Please, you need to rest–”

“Houshi-sama, you know as well as I do that Inuyasha is not acting normal. I am worried about Kagome-chan and I want to be sure Inuyasha is okay too. Kirara, let’s go.”

Kirara yawned widely and slowly got up from her place on the floor. Sango gave her weary youkai companion an apologetic smile as they headed for the door followed by Shippou.

Miroku sighed and rose to his feet to go after them.

“He went that way and he was moving really fast,” Shippou told Sango as Kirara transformed.

Sango looked out at the mountain in the distance and groaned. How would they ever find anyone with so much ground to cover?

“How long ago did he leave?” she asked Shippou.

“I’m not sure. Maybe twenty minutes ago. Kagome was taking a nap with me and he just picked her up and ran. He didn’t say anything or wake her up first or ask her to go with him. He just--”

“Okay, Shippou-chan, I understand. I’ll try and find them,” Sango told him with a sigh as she climbed on Kirara’s back and adjusted her large weapon.

Shippou jumped on in front of her, saying, “I’m going too. Kagome might need me.”

Before Sango could protest, she felt Miroku slide in behind her. She glanced over her shoulder at him and he smiled at her despite the frown she was giving him.

Too tired to argue at his unspoken request to come with her, she turned forward and urged Kirara into the air. They took off in the direction Shippou had indicated.

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

Kagome had woken abruptly when she felt herself being jerked off her sleeping bag and into Inuyasha’s arms. He carried her bridle style but held her so tightly that she found her chest and stomach flush against his chest and her arms around his neck. She felt air rushing over her bare calves and feet as he left the hut and began to run.

She was momentarily disoriented and didn’t immediately react since it was Inuyasha and her first instincts were to trust him. But hearing Shippou’s cries reminded her of all that had happened and she quickly began to question what he was doing. She could see one side of his face and he had very light stripes across his cheek but they faded before her eyes. Something about him right now, she wasn’t sure what or why, but something about him made her both thrilled and apprehensive at the same time. She was excited about what he might intend to do with her but apprehensive about his reasons for doing it. She didn’t completely understand why she sensed that something was about to change in their relationship but she just knew it would.

After a few moments of thought, she wondered if Inuyasha might just be reacting to Sesshoumaru’s apparent goading. The thought made her angry and she needed him to tell her she was wrong about that.

“Where are you going, Inuyasha?” she asked as calmly as she could.

He didn’t answer, ignoring her completely as he ran farther away from the village. She became impatient.

“Inuyasha, I want to know what’s going on now. Tell me where we are going,” she said more firmly after a few moments had passed.

Still he ignored her and she tried to adjust her position so that he would be forced to look at her and acknowledge her questions, but his grip wouldn’t let her move. She became even angrier.

“Put me down and tell me what is going on! You can’t just run off with me like this without explaining!” she insisted.

She let out an angry huff when he remained silent and gritted her teeth to keep from saying ‘osuwari’ while he was in motion. As the minutes passed, she noticed they were far from the village and seemed to be going up the closest mountain to it. She hoped he stopped soon so she could knock the jerk in the head and make him answer her questions.

They had reached a rocky outcropping when Inuyasha unexpectedly changed directions and skidded to a halt. He dropped her unceremoniously to her feet and shoved her behind him.

She stumbled, barely catching her balance against one of the few trees that occupied area. “Hey, what---” she began to yell but then she saw what the problem was.

A large insect youkai, some kind of centipede, had reared up in their path and Kagome cringed at the strange high-pitched scream it directed at them. She noticed Inuyasha’s ears lay flat against his head at the noise as he drew Tessaiga.

“Stay back, Kagome,” he ordered gruffly as he charged in to fight.

Kagome watched anxiously, all anger pushed from her mind. She silently cursed the fact that she didn’t have her bow and arrows with her at the moment, and wished she could do more than just stand there and hope that Inuyasha wouldn’t get hurt.

He didn’t waste any time with posturing or taunting. He immediately used the Wind Scar and dispatched the creature effortlessly. Unfortunately, he also destroyed a lot of the area around where the creature had been, and dust and debris were thrown high into the air all around them.

A large boulder lost its balance and started to roll down the rocky slope toward Kagome, bringing more large rocks and rubble with it. With a small cry, she turned to run, hoping she could get out of its unpredictable path in time. She needn’t have worried because before she took two steps, Inuyasha had her and was jumping clear of the mini avalanche caused by the boulder’s descent.

He landed a good distance from the danger in a small shaded patch of grass. He let her slide down his body until she felt her feet touch the ground but continued to hold her tightly. She held him loosely around his waist and could feel his chest expand and retract with each breath he took. He was breathing rapidly and his body trembled a little. Her face was pressed against his upper chest and she could feel the sweaty dampness of his undershirt, which showed through the top opening of his loosened haori. He smelled woodsy and sweaty but she liked it.

His arms were wrapped around her back and shoulders. She could feel his right hand cupping the curve of her shoulder where it met her right arm and his left hand curled around her rib cage under her left arm. He lowered his head and she felt his breath against her temple…and then his lips.

“I thought I’d lost you,” he told her, his voice barely above a whisper next to her ear.

Kagome froze. What was he doing? That youkai hadn’t been anything special compared to some they had fought and he got her away from the avalanche just fine. He couldn’t have been that worried, could he? She mentally sighed. This was about Sesshoumaru…and if Inuyasha tried to suddenly claim that he loved her as more than a friend, she didn’t think she could believe him at the moment.

But he didn’t say a word. He didn’t say anything at all as he moved his lips down to her ear and placed soft kisses along its edge. She caught her breath and unconsciously turned her head a little to give him better access. His actions had sent tingling sensations down her spine to settle in her lower abdomen. She began trembling when his mouth trailed down the side of her neck lightly sucking on her skin. Her knees felt weak and her breathing accelerated. Her hands clutched his haori to steady herself.

She felt the hand that had been lightly squeezing her ribs begin to slide lower on her waist and gently rub circles on the curve of her hip through her skirt. Her breath caught again and she might have still had the strength to protest if he hadn’t kissed her lips at the moment, making her forget what she thought she needed to say.

His kiss was gentle, but she could feel the passion behind it. His hands shook slightly, though she wasn’t sure which emotion caused them to do so. Her own emotions were overwhelming her and her body was responding to him much more strongly than any of her dreams of this moment could have prepared her for.

His kisses grew more aggressive and his hand moved down to her bottom, lightly caressing her at first and then gripping her more firmly and pulling her against him. She could feel his arousal against her stomach through their clothing and the thrill of it increased her own arousal.

He must have known because he softly growled and eased them down to the grass, not breaking the kiss until she felt herself on her back, partially beneath his body with one of his legs between her own. She gulped in air as his lips left her mouth and trailed hungry kisses across her cheek to the area of her neck directly under her ear. She moaned slightly as his fangs grazed her skin and his tongue soothed it afterward. He was panting against her sensitive skin and the feel of it sent electric sensations all the way down to her bare toes, hardening her nipples and raising goose bumps on her arms and legs.

He still had his right forearm and hand behind her neck and shoulders, supporting his weight on his elbow, but his left hand began to roam her body. He gently pushed her hand and arm out of the way so that he could run his own over her curves. He started at her shoulder and slowly moved his trembling hand down along the side of her breast then followed the line of her waist and the flair of her hip to rest on the bare skin of her outer thigh.

Her skirt had ridden up around her hips giving his big calloused hand access to her exposed skin. Even though the feel of his hand on her bare leg was familiar to her, at this moment it became something new and dangerous and exciting. He dragged his nails across her skin and she shivered from the sensation. Her skin tingled under he tips of his claws, which were blunted from constant use. They didn’t need to be sharp to slay an enemy; it was the power he put behind his claws that damaged his prey. Right now she was his prey, and she felt hot and shaky from it and overwhelmed from her body’s reactions to him. She reached for his shoulders and pulled at his haori and undershirt, trying to touch his skin.

He whispered her name against her collarbone and she shivered again. He braced himself on his hands and pushed himself up onto his knees, watching her face the whole time. She followed his hands with her heavy-lidded eyes as he untied his haori and shrugged it off his shoulders and arms along with his undershirt. He tossed them aside without looking away from her flushed face. She could feel his desire and eagerness in his intense stare almost like a physical touch. Her already accelerated breathing hitched in her chest from the look he was giving her. It only made her more excited as her own eyes caressed his exposed chest and stomach. She reached for him.

He groaned and settled over her again with both legs between her own. She let her own hands roam this time, touching his chest, stomach, and back, all familiar to her and yet new to her seeking hands. His muscles quivered under his skin at her soft touch.

He braced himself on one elbow, his forearm under her shoulder and his hand cradling the back of her head to give him better access to her neck. He kissed her pulse point and lightly nipped at the skin above it before kissing her mouth again, hard. His free hand moved between them, under her shirt and trembled against her skin just under her breast. Slowly he slid his fingers higher until he completely cupped her full breast and lightly squeezed it through her bra.

She arched up into his hand and softly moaned against his mouth. He broke the kiss and drew back a few inches to look into her eyes again. His hair curtained around them giving the illusion that nothing else existed but the two of them and this moment. His eyes were almost fully dilated and his face was flushed with desire. The same heat she felt in her own body rolled off his too and she knew he burned with the same fire as she did. He was beautiful and he was everything she ever wanted. He said her name and she leaned up and kissed him again.

With his shirts gone, the sides of his hakama were open to her and she let one hand slide into them to caress his hip and then cup his buttock. He caught his breath against her mouth and involuntarily jerked his groin against her own. He pulled back from her kiss for a second, wide-eyed, before initiating a kiss of his own; this one more aggressive and full of need. He ground his hardened length against her already dampened panties and she shuddered at the intense pleasure his actions caused.

He pushed her shirt up until it bunched across her chest above her breasts and moved his mouth from her lips and neck to the valley between her breasts. She felt the urgency in his actions and brought her hands between them to push him back a little. His eyes met hers, questioning, then widened again as he watched her unhook the front clasp of her bra with trembling fingers.

She bared herself to him and she noticed that he couldn’t help the catch in his breath at the sight of her. His own hand shook as he gently ran his fingers over a hardened nipple and watched her, seemingly fascinated as she closed her eyes and moaned while arching up into his hand. She opened her eyes and froze at the feel of his mouth on her breast, his wet warmth engulfing her nipple and grazing her skin with his fangs. She said his name and wondered if he understood what she was asking of him because she wasn’t sure herself. She just knew she needed more.

She never knew such pleasure existed. Her dreams had all been abstract images of them touching and kissing. It always excited her to think about it, but reality was much more than she ever thought possible. She felt things she never knew she could feel, both physically and emotionally. She’d never been more connected or closer to anyone in her life as she felt right at that moment with Inuyasha. It went beyond just physical and emotional planes.

Her fingers dug into his shoulders as his tongue, lips, and hands caressed her breasts. She raised her knees and skimmed the soles of her bare feet over his hakama from the back of his knees to the curve of his hard buttocks.

He gasped against her breast and moved back up to her mouth, kissing her hard and grinding his erection against her. He trailed wet, nipping kisses down her neck again on his way to her breasts. He pushed at her shirt for better access and licked a taut nipple. She said his name again, urging him on to wherever he was taking her, because she needed to get there with him quickly. Whatever it was, she needed it now.

She sensed his impatience too because he sat back on his knees unexpectedly and roughly pulled her t-shirt over her head and flung it away with a look of disgust.

She didn’t understand his sudden anger and wasn’t sure she cared as long as he went back to what he was doing to her. But then his voice stilled her.

“Fucking bastard won’t be able to touch you again after this,” he muttered, lowering his head toward her again but she braced her hand against his chest to prevent him from reaching her.

“What are you talking about?” she asked, suddenly feeling uneasy again about why he was doing this with her.

“Your shirt was full of his stink, but I won’t let him touch you again,” he stated gruffly, gently gripping her wrist and pulling her arm out of his way.

She knew whose ‘stink’ he was complaining about. She fought to stop the tears that were forming behind her eyes and scooted back on her butt, trying to get out from under him. Her body was throbbing with need and her hands shook with the effort to hold him back, but she had to know if this, what he was doing with her, was about Sesshoumaru.

“What does he have to do with this, Inuyasha?” she asked, her voice breaking a little.

He looked impatient with her and his voice rose as he hissed, “Baka, he tried to take you! I won’t let him!”

He sat back on his heels, angry. She was getting angry too.

“I’ll ask you again, Inuyasha. What does Sesshoumaru have to do with what we’re doing right now?” she asked as evenly as she could while trying to fasten her bra.

He was clearly frustrated and he grabbed her wrists trying to stop her from covering herself. She jerked away from him, turning and managing to close the clasp on her bra before he gripped her upper arm and turned her back to face him.

She found herself on her back again with him hovering above her on all fours, his knees between her bent legs. He was angry.

“Kagome, I won’t let Sesshoumaru have you. Don’t you understand? I won’t let him have you!”

“Why?” she asked out loud while silently begging him, ‘Tell me it’s because you love me, Inuyasha. Please tell me what I need to hear.’

“Fuck! Kagome! What the hell are you asking? Did you want to go with him? I didn’t hear any fuckin’ distress calls from you when that bastard grabbed you!”

Absolute fury shown from his eyes at the thought and he hit the ground near her head with his fist, gritting his teeth tightly. His frustration with her was as obvious as his anger but she didn’t flinch away from him. She knew he’d never hurt her, at least not physically.

Before she could say anything he growled out another question, “Did he talk to you about mating?”

She looked away from him and replied, “I promised not to talk about any of it.”

“Shit! Then he did talk about it, the fuckin’ bastard,” he gritted out. He sat back on his heels again and stared down at her. He gripped her thighs and again declared, “I won’t let him have you,” in a low steady voice.

“You said that already, Inuyasha, and I’ll ask you again: why?” she tried to keep her voice steady, internally pleading with him again to tell her what she needed to hear.

Neither noticed the group that landed near where Inuyasha recently used the Wind Scar or that they began slowly walking toward the arguing couple.

Inuyasha erupted with anger, yelling loudly, “Because he can’t have you, Kagome, that’s fucking why! It’s just like when he tried to take Tessaiga! And I won’t let him take you either! Don’t you understand?”

She froze, her breathing and heartbeat stopped for a second as his words hit her, painfully.

“Are…are you comparing me to your sword?” she asked shakily, her voice starting to rise with her pain and anger. “Are you comparing me to a possession, Inuyasha? You didn’t even want Tessaiga at first! You called it a ‘rusted piece of junk’ and the only reason you did take it was because Myouga told you that Sesshoumaru wanted it and that you should take it to spite him! Is that how it is now, Inuyasha? Are you keeping me because you think it will spite Sesshoumaru?” she yelled. Her heart was shattering and she knew she might be getting irrational but she couldn’t get over the hurt that his comparison caused her.

“That’s not what I said!” he ground out. “Gods, woman, don’t you understand? He just wants you because he knows I need you! I won’t let him have you, Kagome! You belong to me! I chose you as my mate!”

“Oh, now I’m your mate, am I? You think Sesshoumaru wants me and suddenly you want me as your mate? You’re right, Inuyasha. This is just like what happened with Tessaiga and you only want me to spite Sesshoumaru,” she screamed through her tears and tried to get up.

“No, baka! You’re not listening to me!” He grabbed at her wrists again to try to keep her in front of him, but she kicked his thigh and twisted out of his reach.

“And another thing, Inuyasha! How dare you think my value to Sesshoumaru has anything to do with hurting you! Are you saying someone wouldn’t want me for myself? You think there has to be other reasons for someone to take me? You think you’re in a competition and I’m just some object to win? Even if winning against your brother means making me your mate? You selfish jerk! Get away from me!”

She was crying heavily now. She stood up shakily and turned from him, intending to walk away, not really caring where.

He stood too as he growled with frustration and grabbed her upper arm again, forcing her to face him, and desperately yelled, “Fuck! Kagome, it’s not like that! I scent-marked you, okay? I’ve had my claim on you for years! I swear!”

Despite herself, hope flared in her heart. She didn’t want to hope, but she couldn’t help herself. She calmed down a little, enough to speak to him.

“How come all the sudden you tell me this when Sesshoumaru comes around? I need to know why you want me now, Inuyasha. You’ve never acted like this over Kouga.”

“Keh, that fuckin’ wolf won’t be challenging my claim anymore since the bastard’s dead!” he blurted and then apparently caught himself because his face took on a wary expression as she caught her breath in shock.

“How do you know Kouga’s dead? What happened?” she asked, clearly stricken.

He hesitated, not meeting her eyes, and she became suspicious. She knew that look.

“Who told you, Inuyasha?” she asked softly, not wanting to know but needing to know.

“I found out last night,” he told her, not really answering her question.

“What else did Kikyou tell you?” she asked slyly.

“That Naraku has Kouga’s shards and---” he stopped himself and glared at her.

She let out the breath that she didn’t know she was holding and turned away from him again.

“Kagome, that doesn’t matter!” he told her urgently. “I marked you a long time ago! That’s why I won’t let anyone take you! Do you understand?”

She didn’t understand. He still wouldn’t tell her why he marked her, and he was with Kikyou last night. Her body was still humming from their earlier activities and her heart felt like a crushing weight was sitting on it. She didn’t think she could handle any more emotional turmoil today. She’d only had about an hour of sleep in the last two days, she’d been snatched by Sesshoumaru only this morning, and Kouga was dead.

Despite his obvious attraction to her physically, she still couldn’t be sure that she wasn’t second best in Inuyasha’s heart. She needed to know that he loved her. She needed to know that he wasn’t just being impulsive and reacting to Sesshoumaru’s goading. She needed to know that it was her, Kagome, he saw when he looked at her and not a shadow of Kikyou.

Inuyasha’s hand on her arm pulled her out of her thoughts.

“Kagome, do you understand? I marked you over three years ago,” he told her again, watching her nervously.

“When were you planning on telling me?” she asked quietly, shakily.

“I was going to tell you after everything was over with Kikyou and–”

She didn’t let him finish. “Oh, gods! I’m really am ‘Plan B’!” she cried, jerking out of his loose grip and backing away from him. All hope deserted her and she covered her face with her hands.

“No, Kagome! That’s not what I meant!” he started but was interrupted by Sango’s fist connecting with his face.

He staggered back and before he could recover she hit him in the head with her large bone weapon. He fell back on his butt, cursing.

“What the fuck?!” he yelled getting to his feet, rubbing his head and growling at Sango.

Kagome was surprised to see her friends there and embarrassed that they apparently witnessed her humiliation. She glanced around for her shirt and did not immediately see it. Crossing her arms over her bra-covered chest, she tried to keep her back to Miroku as she began walking toward Kirara.

“Oh, fuck, no! You’re not leaving me, Kagome! We’re not done talking until you understand!” she heard Inuyasha yell behind her.

She didn’t even look at him as she shouted, “Osuwari!” but she heard his grunt of pain when he hit the ground.

“Kirara, can I ask a favor, please? Will you take me to the well?” she asked the feline youkai softly.

Kirara sighed tiredly but offered her back to Kagome anyway and she quickly climbed on. Shippou jumped in front of her suddenly and she couldn’t help but hug him as tears rolled down her face.

“Kagome! Damn it! Come back!” she heard Inuyasha screaming angrily from his place on the ground.

“Leave me alone, Inuyasha! I don’t want to talk to you right now!” she shouted back and Shippou covered his ears. She didn’t want Inuyasha to follow her, so she shouted, “Osuwari!” at him again. She just wanted to go home and at that thought she realized that she still didn’t know why Inuyasha had destroyed her room.

As Kirara took off into the air, she shouted at him one more time. “Osuwari! That’s for trashing my room, you jerk!”

Sango watched Kirara take Kagome out of sight and then looked down at the hanyou before her.

“You bastard!” Sango ground out at him. “What were you thinking? Were you going to rut on the ground like an animal?” she raged.

“Shut the fuck up, Sango! Weren’t you doing that with the pervert last night? At least I didn’t fucking interrupt you, bitch!” he growled back at her.

She gave him an enraged growl of her own and kicked him in the shoulder as Miroku tried to pull her back.

“Sango, is correct, my friend. Kagome-sama did not deserve such treatment from you, especially when you just saw Kikyou-sama last night,” the houshi said, trying to stay on Sango’s good side while keeping her from hitting the hanyou again. He ignored the comment about rutting on the ground. He wished they’d gotten that far…but at least they’d had a blanket.

Sango’s headache and mood had not improved all day and right now she was ready to fight a youkai, even a half-youkai, if it would relieve her stress and anger.

“Yes, you two-timing jerk! How could you try and seduce Kagome today when you were with Kikyou last night?” she shouted at him.

“What?! Me two-timing! She’s the one that said she wanted to find a lover and went looking for one! What do you call that? Huh, bitch?” he shouted right back as he struggled to sit up after the subduing spell wore off.

Miroku answered, “Ahhh, so you did hear Kagome-sama talking to Sango the other night. Then what is the problem, Inuyasha? If you heard her then you know–”

“You were listening too?” Sango interrupted angrily. “Then you know why she’s looking for someone else! You and your stupid promise to go to hell with Kikyou! You–”

“What!? I never promised to go to fuckin’ hell with Kikyou! What are you talking about?” Inuyasha demanded.

“Well you told Kaede-obaa-chan that you were willing to if it would help Kikyou find peace!” Sango countered.

“Yeah, and I told the bouzu that I’d gouge his eyes out if he ever peeked at Kagome when she took a bath! Should I make good on that threat too? I talk shit all the time, but that don’t make it a promise!”

Sango opened her mouth to retort but he quickly continued, “And if I did ever agree to anything besides protecting Kikyou, it was under a spell and that don’t count!”

Sango and Inuyasha glared at each other for a moment before Miroku asked, “So, my friend, what exactly did you hear Kagome-sama say that night?”

“I told you already! She said she was going to find a lover and she was going to keep it a secret from me. Keh, like she could hide it.” He was still very angry.

“Sooo, you only heard the end of the conversation then. You missed the part where Kagome-sama confessed that she let you see her naked on purpose–”

“Miroku!” Sango shouted while taking a swing at his head with her fist. “That’s not important!”

He dodged her fist and smiled widely at her, “I beg to differ, my dear Sango; its importance cannot be overestimated –”

“Shut up, Houshi! I can still change my mind!” she shouted at him.

That got his attention. “As you wish, my love,” was his only reply.

She turned back to the hanyou still sitting on the ground. “Why didn’t you tell her that you had a scent-claim on her Inuyasha? Kagome had a right to know.”

“Keh, for the same reason you wouldn’t let the bouzu touch you. It’s too dangerous to have a breedin’ female around right now. After Naraku is gone, it’d be different. And it’d be better if Kikyou couldn’t interfere too,” he explained.

“Well, why couldn’t you have just told that to Kagome? She would have understood,” Sango complained.

Inuyasha was angry, frustrated, and ready to follow Kagome. He blurted out a truthful answer without thinking. “I didn’t know about this ‘birth control’ stuff that she has and if I’d told her I had a claim on her and she’d accepted me, I wouldn’t have been able to wait--- Ah, shit!”

Sango blinked at him and Inuyasha silently berated himself for not keeping his mouth shut.

Both of them were startled at Miroku’s voice as he said, “I completely understand, Inuyasha,” as he reached for Sango’s backside.

Sango slapped him before his hand made contact. “At least Inuyasha controls himself, you perverted houshi!” she yelled.

As Miroku backed up from her, Inuyasha took the opportunity to grab his shirts and run.

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

Kirara deposited her passengers near the well and immediately left to return to Sango.

Kagome had only taken a couple of steps toward the well with Shippou in her arms when Sesshoumaru grabbed her upper arm and swung her around to face him. She hadn’t even known he was there.

Shippou fell with a startled cry and scrambled into the nearby bushes yelling, “Run, Kagome!”

“You broke your promise, miko. You rejected Inuyasha,” Sesshoumaru stated in a low deadly tone.

The unfairness of his accusation and the emotional turmoil had taken its toll on Kagome’s ability to reason. She couldn’t take anymore. She ripped her arm from his clawed hand, ignoring the cuts her action caused and pushed him away with both hands.

“You jerk! I said I’d accept him if he loved me and now we both know he doesn’t! He’s waiting to see what happens with Kikyou and I’m his backup plan!” she raged with tears falling down her face. “And you! You deliberately goaded him into doing what he did today! You pushed him to–”

Her rant was cut off by his hand around her throat. She gripped his wrist and forearm with both hands, trying to keep her balance on toes that barely touched the ground and struggled to breathe. She heard Shippou’s terrified shouts somewhere near the tree line and hoped the kit had enough sense to stay where he was.

“The only thing this Sesshoumaru pushed is when the hanyou took you; there has never been a question of ‘if’. His decision is his own and you deliberately misunderstand him. He would not take you until the undead miko and Naraku are no longer a threat to any offspring your union may produce. That is what he meant. He lacked the ability to clearly convey his thoughts when you met him and still you accepted him. You will not hold it against him now, miko,” he told her coldly.

He eased her down so that she was standing on the ground, never breaking eye contact with her. She stared at him, wide-eyed, as he slowly removed his hand from her neck and she let go of his arm. She wanted to bolt for the well but his glare warned her not to try it.

“Your own insecurities stand between you and my brother and nothing else, Kagome, and you will overcome them,” he commanded.

“How can I be sure? He saw Kikyou just last night. How can I know–”

He growled impatiently, “If he wanted her, he would go to her. He stays by your side by choice! You claim to trust him; don’t you have faith that he will treat you honorably? You accuse him of using you by claiming he waits for a chance with the undead miko. He waits for no one but you, and you will stop your foolishness and accept him!”

She couldn’t help but feel confused by his statements. Was she making assumptions about Inuyasha’s motives based on her own insecurities? Were her fears unfounded? Her breath was shaky and she was scared of Sesshoumaru but she wouldn’t back down.

“I’ll think about what you said, but I don’t want you trying to manipulate Inuyasha any more. I know you came here yesterday and made him think you wanted me.”

“This Sesshoumaru is not responsible for the hanyou’s assumptions.”

“Oh, yes, you are and you know it. Just leave him alone…and I need time to think. I don’t want to talk to him or you right now,” she said.

His lips thinned a little and his eyes narrowed, but after a moment he sighed (rather huffily she thought) and said, “Fine. Perhaps it is best that he not speak with you yet since he is not capable of saying the right things to you.”

He pulled a wicked looking dagger from his haori and Kagome took a step back in alarm. He gave her another impatient look and held out the dagger to her, handle facing her. She took it automatically, but gave him a questioning look of her own.

“You know how to raise a barrier, miko. Use this to anchor one to the well,” he told her. “Inuyasha will not be able to pass through until you remove it.”

“Umm…I’ve never done that before. I don’t know how,” she admitted.

“You have much to learn,” he said, impatience evident in his voice. “Think on how you project your power into your arrows. It is the same. Project the energy you would use to make a shield into the dagger and embed it into the wood of the well.”

She concentrated on the object in her hand as she tried to remember everything Miroku and Kaede had taught her about creating a barrier.

The dagger glowed blue-white for a second and static electricity sparked all around her. A mini bolt of energy that looked like lightning arched through the air and connected with one of the spikes on Sesshoumaru’s metal armor.

He didn’t flinch or move but his brows lowered and his eyes narrowed suspiciously.

“I’m s-sorry! I’m not sure what I’m doing!” she stuttered.

He didn’t comment so she tried again. She closed her eyes and consciously relaxed her shoulders. She tried to clear her thoughts and focus only on creating a barrier and pushing the barrier into the dagger…somehow. She felt her power surge into the dagger and knew that this was different from the power she poured into her arrows.

She cautiously opened her eyes and stared at the dagger. It had a very faint pink glow around it.

“It worked!” she said, clearly surprised.

“You are a miko. Of course it worked. Your lack of faith in yourself is a hindrance you must overcome. It affects everything and everyone around you,” he told her sternly.

She gave him a disgruntled look and turned to the well. She stabbed the tip of the dagger into the wood and a barrier grew around it, covering the well and extending a few yards in all directions.

“You will return and begin training as planned, Kagome. I give you only three days,” he said behind her.

She turned and said, “You give me three days? What makes you think–”

“Do not try my patience! You have already agreed to my terms and you will fulfill your obligations! I have asked nothing of you that you would not willingly do on your own if your thought process included even a spark of logic!”

She glared at him and opened her mouth to reply but he didn’t let her.

“Now go think on what I have said. While you are away, you will avoid other males not of your own family,” he commanded.

A frustrated little growl escaped from her throat but she didn’t reply. She didn’t want to deal with him anymore and turned to go, but his last statement reminded her of Kouga. She turned back to him.

“Wait, Sesshoumaru. Do you know about Kouga? Did you know he died or what happened to him?” she asked.

“Yes. Naraku killed him the afternoon before the new moon. You and your companions camped in that area that night. The wolf put up a good fight but he is not as powerful as those of my line,” he told her.

“You saw the fight? Why didn’t you help him?” she asked incredulously.

“It was not my concern. I was merely passing through on my way to guard your group during Inuyasha’s human night.”

“But…but…you could have saved him!” she cried.

“He fell in battle. It was an honorable death. It was not my concern,” he repeated.

She sighed thinking she would never understand the male mind, especially those belonging to medieval youkai males.

Still, she had to ask for the sake of her friend, “Sesshoumaru…could you revive him with Tenseiga?”

His eyes narrowed and he asked suspiciously, “Why?”

“Because he’s my friend.”

“You should not have male friends. I tolerate the houshi because he knows you belong to Inuyasha, but the wolf did not know his place,” he stated calmly.

Her lips thinned and she began to grow angry but she knew anger would not convince Sesshoumaru to help Kouga. Then it came to her.

“You know I don’t want Kouga no matter what he thinks, but the fact still remains that he is a respected leader in the youkai world. It would benefit you to have him alive and well since not many other full-youkai leaders will approve of you having a human mate. Can you afford to lose him as a possible supporter when you claim Rin?” she asked slyly.

He continued his narrow-eyed stare but she didn’t flinch, putting her hands on her hips and daring him to deny what she said.

“I will think on it,” he finally said and she had to be satisfied with that.

She let out her breath and relaxed her stance a little. “Fine. I’m going now. I’ll be back in a few days.”

“Miko.”

She turned back to him resignedly, “What?”

“I do not approve of your attire. Dress more conservatively when you return,” he told her and she paled as she realized he was looking at her bra.

She shrieked, covering her chest with her arms, and jumped into the well.

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

Inuyasha cursed himself for not continuing on to the hot spring after the altercation with that centipede youkai. He’d never have been interrupted and Kagome would not have had the means to run from him if he had. He ran at a leisurely pace toward the well. He wanted to follow Kagome to her home but he needed to give her time to cool down a little before he tried to talk to her again.

Didn’t she understand? He needed her to survive just like he needed Tessaiga. Maybe he didn’t know how much he needed her at the beginning, just like when he first saw Tessaiga, but now they were necessary for his survival and he’d be lost without them. They weren’t possessions! They were a part of him; the only gifts fate had ever given to him that didn’t cause him pain.

He felt his father’s care and protection when Tessaiga pulsed in his hands and he felt Kagome’s caring in her touch, her willingness to stay by his side. They held in his youkai and gave him strength. Maybe, just maybe, he could survive again without Tessaiga, but he couldn’t live without Kagome, and he’d never let Sesshoumaru take her!

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

Sesshoumaru turned from the well to stare at a quivering clump of bushes some feet away from him.

“Come out,” he commanded coolly.

After a moment, Shippou slowly emerged from the foliage, wide-eyed and cautious. He’d heard everything and was stunned to know that Sesshoumaru not only wanted Kagome to be Inuyasha’s mate, but that he planned on taking Rin – a human! – for his own. He stared at Sesshoumaru, his mouth gaping open in shock.

“You will not repeat anything you have heard, kitsune. The young miko would be saddened were you to disappear,” Sesshoumaru stated calmly.

Shippou caught his breath and nodded his head compulsively, frightened at the implied threat.

Satisfied, the inuyoukai turned and walked from the clearing.

Shippou watched him go for a moment before letting the breath he was holding whoosh out of his lungs. Before he could relax, Inuyasha came crashing through the woods, running toward the well.

“Wait!” Shippou yelled, but it was too late and Inuyasha was thrown back by the barrier.

“What the fuck! Who put a barrier up?” he yelled, sitting up and looking at the well angrily.

Shippou walked toward him and told him, “Kagome did. Sesshoumaru showed her how.” He immediately slapped his hands over his mouth and glanced worriedly around for the youkai lord, hoping he didn’t hear that.

“Shit! I won’t let him keep me from her! Stand back, Shippou!” he yelled as he got to his feet and unsheathed Tessaiga. It started to glow red and Shippou became alarmed again.

He grabbed onto Inuyasha’s pants frantically trying to stop the hanyou.

“No, Inuyasha! You might destroy the well, baka! Don’t try it!”

Inuyasha shook Shippou off his leg and pushed him back with his foot, “I have to get to Kagome! I can smell her blood! Quit tryin’ to stop me, runt!”

He raised Tessaiga over his head but before he could swing the blade down, Sesshoumaru’s fist slammed into the hanyou’s jaw and knocked him out on the ground.

Shippou cried out and ran to Inuyasha who was spread eagle on his back with Tessaiga still clutched in one hand. He seemed to be okay, just unconscious, the kit was relieved to see.

Sesshoumaru was glaring down at the hanyou, brows low, his mouth a thin line. “Your stupidity astonishes even this Sesshoumaru, hanyou!”

Shippou laughed nervously, not sure how to react. “Sometimes he’s dumber than a pile of dung, huh, Sesshoumaru?”

Terror gripped him as Sesshoumaru’s eyes shifted from Inuyasha to him, anger simmering in their golden depths. In his peripheral vision, Shippou was aware of the greenish glow that suddenly sparked at the tips of Sesshoumaru’s fingers. He knew he was going to die. There was no way he’d have time to run, and he didn’t even consider a counter attack against the powerful youkai before him.

As the energy whip emerged from Sesshoumaru’s fingers and took shape above his head, Shippou screamed, falling to his knees and elbows while covering his head as best he could, his tail involuntarily standing straight up over his back and bristling.

His scream was cut short when the whip seared his flesh, filling his nose with the scent of burning cloth and skin. His body convulsed, waiting for the next blow…but it never came.

He kept his face hidden for a minute more, silently crying and trembling. Finally, he shakily peeked between his fingers at the tall youkai. The whip was no longer in sight but the deadly expression on Sesshoumaru’s face was just as terrifying to Shippou.

“You will show respect for this Sesshoumaru-sama’s lineage and all that carry the blood of my line. Do not mistake impulsiveness and inexperience for lack of intelligence. You could learn much from this hanyou. Every breath he takes is a testament to his cunning, his ability to survive,” the cold youkai said, ignoring the fact that he’d just insulted Inuyasha himself.

Shippou didn’t dare move. He remained cowering before Sesshoumaru, praying that the worst was over.

“Do not think that you can fool this Sesshoumaru, kitsune. You cannot pretend to be a child forever. You misuse your power by maintaining that illusion when your efforts should be put toward protecting your companions and building your skills. My tolerance is near its end.”

With that he turned and walked from the clearing again leaving Shippou, very pale and frightened, sniffling on the ground.

Several minutes later, Shippou was pulled out of his miserable thoughts by Inuyasha’s groan. He jumped up and caught his breath at the pain.

“Shippou?” Inuyasha asked as he sat up. “Are you okay, runt? You smell like you got burned!”

Shippou wiped his nose and eyes on his sleeve and limped the few feet to Inuyasha. “I’m okay,” he said, not wanting to admit what happened.

“Did Sesshoumaru hurt you?” Inuyasha demanded angrily.

Shippou hesitated and then nodded.

“What happened?” Inuyasha growled.

Shippou felt guilty enough for insulting Inuyasha and he didn’t want to confess it to him. Finally, he just said, “I was disrespectful,” in a quiet voice.

Inuyasha was surprised. He found it a little funny that Sesshoumaru had apparently flayed the kit’s bottom for having a smart mouth, but he didn’t want to laugh at the obviously traumatized boy.

He awkwardly patted the kit on the shoulder and said, “Keh, you told him off, huh? You got bigger balls than I thought, runt.”

Shippou started crying harder at Inuyasha’s roundabout praise, knowing he didn’t deserve it and knowing that Inuyasha mistook the situation.

Inuyasha felt bad for the boy and guilty for letting him get hurt. “Don’t worry, Shippou. I won’t let him hurt you again. I’ll protect you,” he said a little gruffly.

Shippou hugged him, crying into the hanyou’s haori, and just said, “I know.”

...

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo ~ End Chapter 8 ~ oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo



Thank you to everyone who reviewed my story and gave me comments. I greatly appreciate your feedback. I’ve never written a lime before since this is my first story so please let me know how I’m doing. Thanks again.



Author’s Notes:

Wow! Did you see the manga chapter a couple of weeks ago? Kikyou talks to Kohaku about the possibility that he might live and Toutousai goes to help Sesshoumaru because Tenseiga signaled to him that Sesshoumaru had a change of heart – as in deep feelings. All the time Rin is there saying, “Sesshoumaru’s heart is strong and kind!” Heheh, she worships him.

I took a little heat for how I wrote Sesshoumaru in the last chapter, but I’ll stick by it because I’m basing him off the manga and not the anime, which isn’t as far along in character development. I believe he would help Kagome as long as it suited his purposes to do so. He’s the one who told her that Tessaiga holds in Inuyasha’s youkai blood and keeps him from turning full youkai, so we know he has helped her in the past. We also know he’s not above using trickery to get what he wants, like when he made Inuyasha believe he was seeing his mother again so that he could get Inuyasha to tell where their father’s tomb was located. But lately, he and Inuyasha have been battling foes side by side instead of battling against each other. I think as time passes, Sesshoumaru might readily resemble my portrayal of him.

And in my author’s notes from last chapter, I have to tell you that I wasn’t completely serious when I said that Sesshoumaru was afraid of Kagome. I thought the “Hmmm…” would give that away. I don’t actually think that Sesshoumaru is afraid of anyone except full-youkai Inuyasha (Sesshoumaru fears him in the scene where he first claims his sword, Toukijin). ‘Sorry for riling anyone.

Also, I’ll restate that this story is about characters in Inuyasha and I’m trying to keep them in character with how they act in the manga. I don’t have any intention of researching sexual practices in medieval Japan or Buddhist monks. In the manga, Sango is not sexually active and does not appear to have much knowledge about sex, so that’s how I’m writing her. It is also improbable (though not impossible I admit) that the Kama Sutra was translated into Japanese at that time since it was originally written in Sanskrit and came from somewhere around India, which was a primarily Hindu region. In this story, they will act as closely as I can portray them to their manga characters given the situations they are in.

Poor Inuyasha knows what he means but can never express it very well, can he? And Kagome really is too insecure about how Inuyasha feels about her. Sesshoumaru is right; Kagome needs to get past her own feelings of inferiority and accept the fact that Inuyasha loves her too despite his feelings for Kikyou. Will those two ever get past their miscommunications? Stay tuned…

Thanks again to everyone who let me know what they thought about my story and to those who pointed out my typos (how embarrassing but at least it gave me a chance to fix them!). I appreciate the time you take to give me feedback and I hope you continue to enjoy my story.

I’m not going to promise the next chapter will be up within a week but I’ll get it out as soon as I can. (Experienced fanfiction writers are all snickering at me right now and thinking, “I knew that ‘I’ll update once a week’ crap would come back and bite her in the ass!”) This was the last chapter that I had partially written before I began posting this story. The next chapter will be written from scratch based on my outline and summary of this story. Real life kind of tied me up for a couple of weeks but I’ve managed to work the knots loose and I think I’ll escape soon to work on this imaginary stuff fairly often. Look for the next chapter soon.

Kagome’s new theme song (in my head anyway): “Killin’ Me” by Jenna Drey (hear it at www.jennadrey.com). I like the Rock/Pop version and the Dance version, but the Johnny Budz Radio Mix is my favorite (I bought the remix CD). I like her cover of Roxy Music’s “More Than This” too, which is one of my all time favorites even though it’s decades old.


Edited July 10, 2005 and April 1, 2006: One sentence added for clarity and three small typos corrected.