InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What A Girl Needs ❯ What A Guy Thinks 2 ( Chapter 11 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: Rumiko Takahashi owns everything and I humbly bow to her genius.

Many, many thanks and much appreciation goes to InuSaga for catching my stupid typos before I posted them for everyone to see, and to Midoriko-sama for her suggestions, which I gratefully used. They are the best of good people and I’m lucky to have them as friends. :)
...

What a Girl Needs

by Souta’s Sister

Chapter 11 -- What A Guy Thinks 2


oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

“He loves her, Sango. You have to remember that he’s been alone most of his life, and as a youkai, he doesn’t fully understand the need for most verbal communication. He doesn’t know how to tell Kagome-sama how he feels, but that does not make his feelings less meaningful,” Miroku told his intended.

“Houshi-sama–”

“Miroku, ” he corrected.

After a blushing pause, she continued, “M-Miroku, I understand that he doesn’t express himself well, but he compared her to Tessaiga. How would you like it if I compared you to Hiraikotsu?”

“Is Hiraikotsu important to you?”

“Well...yes.”

“Do you depend on it in life and death situations?”

“I suppose, but–”

“Do you need it by your side?” he interrupted.

“I guess, but–”

“Sango, I pray that I am important to you, that you would depend on me to keep you safe, and that you need me by your side. If that is how you feel about Hiraikotsu, then I pray you feel the same for me...and more.”

She huffed, “It’s not the same, Hou--, uh, Miroku. I wouldn’t want you to compare me to your Kazaana!”

“Compare you to a curse?! You are the opposite, I assure you!” he laughed.

“You know what I mean!”

He sobered a little, but still smiled. “Yes, I understand your meaning, but think of it from Inuyasha’s point of view. He told me that he needed Kagome-sama like he needed Tessaiga. He needs them for his survival. I truly believe he meant what he said as a compliment to her in his odd fashion. It was meant to express her importance to him. He believes that he cannot survive if she – or Tessaiga – is taken from him. Kagome-sama especially. Do you understand?” he asked.

She sighed and looked out over the river. They were sitting on a blanket in the same picnic spot they had visited a few days ago. They had eaten a light lunch – with no sake – and were now just relaxing together and enjoying the nice weather.

“I suppose you are right. Inuyasha wouldn’t know how to tell her how important she is to him any other way. I doubt she understood it like that though, and I’m sure she didn’t understand what he was telling her about the scent claim. Someone needs to explain it to her and then maybe she’d realize how much he cares for her,” she said.

“He said he loves her...but he said he loves Kikyou-sama too.” He held up his hand when she would have interrupted. “He told me that it was ‘different’ with Kagome-sama but he would not explain why. I believe his feelings are deeper for Kagome-sama, but he thinks he has obligations to Kikyou-sama. I think–”

“How can he love two women at once? He’s a two-timing–” Her words were cut off by his finger on her lips.

He smiled. She blushed.

“No. Remember what Kagome-sama said the other night?” At her puzzled look, he continued, “Do you love me?” He removed his finger so she could answer.

“Y-yes.” She looked at her hands in her lap and felt her face heat even more.

“Do you love Kohaku?”

She looked up at his question, her brows lowering. “It’s not the same!” she told him heatedly.

“That’s what Inuyasha said,” he replied, still smiling.

Her brows rose as it sunk in. “Oh...I see now.” She had forgotten that Kagome said something similar to that. But she didn’t think Kagome really understood how much Inuyasha loved her, no matter what happened with Kikyou.

“Yes. Your dedication to Kohaku will never waver, but neither will your love for me...I hope,” he laughed nervously. She smiled at him shyly and he continued, “I believe Inuyasha is dedicated to saving Kikyou-sama if he can, but that does not lessen his commitment to Kagome-sama. He loves both women, but his feelings for each are different. Does that make sense?”

“I think so. But Inuyasha can be such a baka. I hope he can make Kagome-chan understand that he loves her,” she griped.

“That’s why he is lucky to have us as friends. We can help them communicate, can’t we? You could explain to Kagome-sama what Inuyasha has revealed to me, and I’ve tried to coax Inuyasha into admitting his feelings to Kagome-sama. Shippou would help too. They love each other and I want them to be as happy as we are, my lovely Sango,” he persuaded, moving his hand to rest on her lower back, but not too low.

She stiffened for a moment and blushed again, but didn’t complain about his hand placement. She tried to answer the question. “I suppose we could help...them. I want Kagome-chan to stay here, even after we defeat Naraku. Only Inuyasha has the power to keep her here...” Her voice trailed off as his face seemed to get closer and closer to hers.

His other hand moved to caress her cheek and turn her face more toward his own. She trembled a little.

“And I want you to be happy, Sango, and if keeping Kagome-sama here, like a sister to you, is what you want, I will happily do my best to see that she stays,” he whispered next to her lips.

And then she closed her eyes and forgot about how heated her face was becoming as his lips met hers with gentle pressure. She was aware of him easing her down onto her back, never breaking the kiss, and had a vague recollection that he had done this the last time they were on this blanket under this tree...and she had enjoyed it then too.

He didn’t lie next to her as she’d expected; his lower body wasn’t even facing hers. Instead, he half-sat on one hip and leaned across her upper body, supporting his weight on his elbow with his hand lightly gripping the back of her shoulder. He used his other hand to hold her face, encouraging her to kiss him back, which she did.

It felt good, just like in her hazy memory. Her stomach was filling with butterflies and her skin felt tingly all over. Both her nipples hardened as the side of his chest brushed across hers. She fought the urge to stop him. His hands were still in acceptable places, under her shoulder and on her face, so she had no real reason to hit him other than her own overwhelming feelings. The physical sensations were new and scary, and made her want to run and stay at the same time. But if they would be comfortable together as man and wife, she needed to get used to his touches and kisses. He was going very slow, she could tell, and giving her ample time to protest. She consciously decided that she wouldn’t.

She took in a shaky breath as he placed open-mouthed kisses across her jaw line and then on her neck, just under her ear. It felt so good. Maybe she should touch him back. She wanted him to feel good too after all. She wasn’t sure where to put her hands. One was lying alongside the arm he had under her shoulder, so she moved it to his bicep. The other arm was bent up, her hand near her ear, because he was occupying the space on that side of her body. His kisses were making it hard to think straight but she wanted to put that hand on his chest and feel his heart beat under her palm. She moved her hand from her near her ear, not opening her eyes, and blindly reached for him. She felt the fabric of his robes under her fingers and something hard under that. It pulsed.

He sucked in his breath, lifted his face slightly, and jerked against her hand. He couldn’t believe she was touching him there!

And neither could she.

She opened her eyes wide to see his wide-eyed expression just above her face.

“Sango, my love, are you sure?” he asked eagerly.

Could her face get any hotter? She jerked her hand away and turned her head. She couldn’t look at him.

“Housh–um – M-Miroku, I’m s-sorry. I wanted to t-touch you, but...not t-there. It was an accident,” she whispered, mortified.

He was silent for a few moments and she was sure she had made him angry or that he thought she was teasing him cruelly. But then he laughed.

She snapped her head back to look at him, on the verge of anger herself, and thinking he was making fun of her in some way. She’d tell him a thing or two if he thought it was funny to embarrass her even more.

But she couldn’t say a word, in anger or otherwise. His eyes left her speechless. They were so blue, almost purple, and they held such laughter and mischief and joy in his smiling face. She loved those eyes. She couldn’t help but smile a little too.

“As you could no doubt tell, my lovely Sango, I’m ready to go further any time you are. I look forward to your touches that are on purpose...but, I welcome your accidents too.” He laughed again. “I could get used to being groped there as long as it’s your hand. Are you sure you don’t want to do it again?”

She caught her breath angrily, ready to knock him in the head and remind him that he was a pervert, but he surprised her as his smiling lips pressed against hers in a quick, noisy kiss. He moved faster than she could and was standing before she recovered enough to sit up.

He held a hand out to her, offering to help her stand up, and all the while he never lost the smile on his lips or in his eyes. How could she be mad at him? Those eyes of his held an unfair influence on her emotions. She mentally sighed. She hoped he never realized the power he held over her, gods help her.

“Come on, my beautiful Sango. If we stay here any longer, I may lose my control and, consequently, lose your good will. And speaking of losing control, we should go check on Inuyasha and make sure he is retaining his sanity. Shippou too.”

She nodded and took his hand, blushing again but smiling too. His good mood was contagious, even if the reason for it was embarrassing to her. She liked seeing him smile. He was handsome all the time but his smile made him beautiful and it touched her deep inside her heart. And right now, his smile was all for her. Maybe touching him there wasn’t so bad...

They folded up the blanket and stowed it in the basket with the dishes from lunch. He took her hand in one of his and carried the basket as they walked in the direction of the well.

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

“She would have been back by now if you weren’t such a baka!” Shippou screamed.

“You and Kirara took her to the well, you little runt! You helped her leave!” Inuyasha retaliated.

Patience was nonexistent in the clearing around the well and their tempers were more than volatile.

“Calm down, my friends. I’m sure Kagome-sama will be here soon–” Miroku began as he and Sango walked into the clearing, but Inuyasha interrupted him.

“It’s been five days, bouzu! Five fucking days! She never stays away this damn long! It’s your fault she’s gone! You idiots just had to go and follow us when it wasn’t any of your damned business! I could’ve made her listen to me and we would’ve been okay if you would all just leave us alone!”

Paranoia had been eating at him for the past two days, and the real fear that she wasn’t coming back was driving Inuyasha crazy.

Miroku and Sango exchanged worried glances when they noticed the faint youkai stripes appearing on the hanyou’s cheeks.

Shippou was aggravating the situation. He had the same fears as Inuyasha.

“She didn’t want to be alone with you, baka! You just grabbed her and didn’t give her a choice! And now she’s making sure you can’t grab her again by not coming back! It’s your fault--”

Inuyasha roared and lunged at the kit. His eyes flashed red to gold before settling on a dark golden-orange with flecks of scarlet.

Shippou screamed and ran toward Sango, barely dodging Inuyasha’s claws. Miroku dropped the basket and pulled ofuda from his robes, throwing them at Inuyasha. The hanyou fell to his knees as several hit and stuck to his chest, immobilizing him. He roared again, threatening Miroku with death or worse.

“Sango, take Shippou to the village and tell Kaede-sama that we will need to seal Inuyasha in the storage shed–”

“You fuckin’ bastards! Get these damned seals off me now!”

“–and ask if she has any calming herbs we can give–”

“You can take your ‘calming herbs’ and shove them up your ass! Get this shit off me, bouzu!”

“–him so that he does not destroy the building. And, Shippou, do not go anywhere near him. Is that–”

“No! I want him to come near me! Come ‘ere, you damned runt!”

“–understood?”

Shippou nodded fearfully from Sango’s shoulder as she hurried toward the village.

Miroku cautiously walked toward Inuyasha and sat down out of range of his claws.

“If you do not want to be sealed in the storage hut, Inuyasha, you must get a hold of yourself. I will not let you endanger yourself or anyone else.”

Inuyasha’s was on all fours and his head was down. Miroku couldn’t see his face to judge his level of control. It was a slight relief when the hanyou’s voice was at a lower volume when he finally answered a moment later. Perhaps he was calming down.

“Stay the fuck away and no one will be hurt. Shippou’s damn lucky I don’t have a whip thing like Sesshoumaru because his butt would stay raw. I’m not gonna take his shit anymore.”

Or perhaps not. Miroku sighed at the venom in Inuyasha’s voice. Just as Shippou’s fear directed itself at Inuyasha in the form of anger, Inuyasha’s fear was channeled into anger too. Miroku himself was worried at Kagome’s longer than normal absence, but he was confident that she would return soon. The circumstances of her departure were unusual so it was not unreasonable to expect that she may need time to herself. He voiced his opinion.

“Inuyasha. Kagome-sama will return soon. She would never abandon any of us, especially you. She may just need time to–”

“She’s had five damned days! She always leaves when she’s mad – I know that! – but she’s never kept me away before. She knows I’ll follow her; I always do. But she – she...” His voice, which started loud, was almost a whisper now. “What if she doesn’t want me to follow her ever again?”

What Miroku had told him a couple of days ago had weighed very heavily on his mind. Doubt and panic plagued him. He’d always assumed that Kagome knew he loved her. The others always said things about his concern for Kikyou and implied that he wanted both women, but Kagome rarely said anything because she understood...or at least he had thought she understood.

He was by Kagome’s side by choice. It was a conscious decision to be with Kagome, even though he felt an obligation to protect Kikyou as best he could. Of course, Kagome got angry when he’d occasionally checked on Kikyou, but he’d interpreted her anger as jealousy, which to him meant she loved him.

A long time ago, he’d told Kagome that he wanted her to stay by his side and that he liked seeing her smiling face. It was right after she’d come back through the well even though he’d pushed her in it and taken her jewel shard so she couldn’t return. The days without her had been agony, and when she returned to him despite his efforts to keep her safe in her own time, it had seemed like a miracle to him...a sign that maybe they were meant to be together and it was okay to love her.

And then later, when he’d rashly promised Kikyou that he would protect her from Naraku, and when everything he’d wanted to have with Kagome seemed out of reach, she’d asked to stay with him anyway, regardless of what happened with Kikyou. To him, it meant that she understood his love for her and his caring obligation to the resurrected past.

Three years ago, he’d even told her quite bluntly not to worry about anything because he’d always be with her. She’d thanked him for it and, at the time, he had taken it to mean that she accepted his statement as the declaration of love and devotion he’d meant it to be, and that she wanted him with her forever too. He thought she understood everything that he didn’t know how to say.

He mentally sighed and berated himself for taking Kagome’s understanding for granted. How could she think he didn’t want her? How could she think he would leave her to go with Kikyou to hell? How could she fail to understand the nature of his feelings for her and Kikyou? His love for Kagome and his duty to Kikyou were separate in his mind. He needed to protect and avenge Kikyou to make amends for the past, but Kagome would be his future…if she agreed. He had grave doubts about whether or not she would agree now. How did he fuck it up so badly? He was very on edge and didn’t think he could wait much longer to use Red Tessaiga.

Miroku’s voice brought him out of his troubling thoughts.

“She’ll come back, my friend. She always does. You must be strong and have patience.”

Inuyasha snorted, but said nothing else.

A few minutes later, Sango came rushing back into the clearing carrying Hiraikotsu and accompanied by Kirara. She slowed down upon seeing the quiet scene near the well. She gave Miroku a questioning look, her head gesturing toward Inuyasha, and he shrugged his shoulders in answer.

Inuyasha had not moved or spoken, and Miroku thought he was calming down. Perhaps sealing him would not be necessary.

“What are you going to do, Inuyasha? Will you be able to wait for Kagome-sama without causing trouble?” Miroku asked.

“Keh. What choice do I have?” Inuyasha replied sitting back on his heels slowly. His head was still down and his hair hid his face. “Get this shit off me, bouzu,” he told the monk, but there seemed to be no anger behind the command.

Sango and Miroku exchanged worried glances. With no objection from Sango, Miroku cautiously moved closer to Inuyasha and removed the ofuda from his chest.

The second they were gone, Inuyasha shoved Miroku back and pulled Tessaiga from its sheath. “Keh! Seal me in a fuckin’ hut, huh? Some friends you are!”

“Holy shit!” was all Miroku could say as he ran.

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

“Can you see me now?” she asked for the about the hundredth time in two days.

“Yes, dear. Let’s get back to work,” her mother answered patiently.

A few minutes later Kagome asked again, “Can you see me now?”

Her mother answered automatically, “Yes, dear,” but then paused when she noticed that she couldn’t actually see her daughter. “Kagome?” she asked, wide-eyed as her daughter materialized right in front of her.

“Hmmm?” Kagome answered, absently sorting through the clothing they were packing to give to charity, but thinking about her barrier-making skills. They were making good progress in their uncle’s house. The funeral was tomorrow and Kagome would probably be able to go home tomorrow evening.

“I couldn’t see you just now,” her mother told her quietly, awed.

She looked up at her mother’s shocked face and smiled widely. “I did it? I did it! Let me try it again and then I’ll get back to work, okay?”

Her mother nodded her head, still staring at her unusual daughter. “Jii-chan kept telling me on the phone something about a barrier, but it’s...a shock to see it. I always knew you were special though.”

Her mouth fell open as her daughter faded from sight before her eyes. “Oh my...”

Kagome giggled and let the shield drop. She smiled at her mother and said, “That’s all of them, I think! I can create all the shields listed in the scrolls! When I go back, I’ll practice the other stuff too! I hope Jii-chan lets me have some ofuda to use. I need to see if I can use them too.”

“I’m sure he will, dear,” her mother answered, still a little shocked. She shook her head and went back to sorting through the closet. Her daughter never ceased to amaze her.

They finished with that room by late afternoon and her mother suggested they go out to eat. Kagome wanted to pick up a few items too, while they were out. Her mother suddenly remembered that she needed a dress for the funeral ceremony since she had not packed a nice one when she first came to stay with their uncle. They went to a local mall and each did their own shopping before they would meet at a restaurant.

While she was getting some shampoo for herself and Sango, she decided to buy a few things for Rin too. She found a small brush and mirror set with a pretty matching comb, and a zippered cosmetic bag that they would fit in. She also bought some mildly scented soap and hair products for the girl. They would probably fit in the bag too, she thought. She bought some colored pencils for Shippou and a new sketchpad, along with some Pocky and other treats. She’d have to get more food to bring with her before she went back, she thought. She was sure they’d eaten everything she’d had in her backpack by now.

She met her mother at the restaurant as planned and they talked about trivial things for a while, but Kagome knew she needed to say something about the situation between Inuyasha and herself.

Earlier in the week, her mother had remarked that she was surprised Jii-chan had not complained about Inuyasha yet. She was sure the hanyou had been bugging him in Kagome’s absence. At the time, Kagome had just shrugged and pretended not to see her mother’s questioning look. She silently thanked the gods for having such an understanding mother. She hadn’t pried or brought it up again, but now Kagome decided it was time to fill her in on things.

Twenty minutes later, she finished her abbreviated and censored version of the events on the other side of the well over the last couple of weeks. Her mother hadn’t interrupted or seemed upset, even when Kagome told her about Inuyasha’s intentions. Kagome was getting nervous about the silence and her mother was looking off into space and seemed to be in deep thought.

“Well...aren’t you going to say anything?”

Her mother’s eyes came back to meet her own. Kagome was surprised to see the calm good humor there.

“Sesshoumaru is right, dear. You worry about things too much.”
“That’s it? That’s all you have to say? You don’t care that there is a rabid hanyou waiting to pounce on me the second I go through the well?” Kagome was rather annoyed that her mother was so accepting of Inuyasha’s advances when she herself was having doubts about it.

“You love that hanyou and he loves you. You are both adults. I’m surprised he’s waited this long to make his move. I’ve expected it for over three years.”

“What? Mama, I know he cares for me, but he’s never given any indication that he loves me like a...a...wife. How can you be so calm about this?” Did everyone know something that Kagome didn’t know?

“Kagome, are you really that blind? The way he looks at you --has looked at you from almost the first time he came through the well-- is all the evidence I need to know how he feels about you. But beyond that, how many days have you been apart from him in the last four years? He can’t stay away for more than a day and that’s only because you threatened him with dire retribution while you were in school. And you hurried through your schoolwork to get back to him as soon as possible too. Neither one of you can bear to be away from the other. And you didn’t know it, but when you told him not to, he came through the well anyway most of the time. He was careful not to let you see him, but I’ve brought that boy food many a night while he sat in the God Tree waiting for you to finish with your school activities. And most days he followed you to school.”

Kagome started to interrupt but her mother didn’t let her, “And I want you to tell me exactly how many hours he’s spent with that girl that you worry about. Right now, think about it and tell me.”

Kagome did actually think about it. In the nearly four years she had known Inuyasha, she didn’t think the time he spent with Kikyou could amount to even 24 hours. During their first year of travel, he did see Kikyou about ten times that she knew of and Kagome had been present for at least eight of those times. And most encounters lasted only minutes; certainly none went over an hour in length. Since then, Kikyou had been avoiding them and they only glimpsed her occasionally during a skirmish with Naraku or one of his lackeys. Inuyasha had not actively sought the resurrected miko for years. If he saw her at all, it was Kikyou’s doing, and only when she had important news...like the news about Kouga.

Why did Kikyou loom so largely in Kagome’s fears? Had she really blown Inuyasha’s relationship with the undead miko out of proportion when compared to her own relationship with Inuyasha?

Her mother continued when Kagome didn’t answer, “Truthfully, Kagome, I can’t imagine that he thinks that much of this other girl when he’s been your constant shadow for years. As many times as you were busy with school and he had the opportunity to go off with that girl, he’s chosen to be with you instead, even if you weren’t aware of it.”

Sesshoumaru had said almost the same thing. She realized that Inuyasha stayed by her side...no matter what.

“You’re right, Mama. He has been with me all this time...” she acknowledged, her voice trailing off.

“Of course, he’s been with you, so why would I be surprised that he wants to continue to be with you? You need to hurry back after the funeral tomorrow night, dear. I can’t imagine the state he’s in right now, waiting for you. And I expect a wedding before too long. Even if youkai don’t have ceremonies like that, you are human and I insist on it.”

Kagome was only half listening to her mother. She was thinking again that she had made a big mistake by not talking to Inuyasha calmly after their intimate activities. He must be so angry with her right now...

Her mother’s voice brought her out of her pensive thoughts when she said, “Don’t worry, Kagome. Everything will be fine. You and Inuyasha will be very happy together and soon you will all defeat Naraku. That’s all I’ve every wanted for you, you know. I want you to be happy and safe. You’ll have that with Inuyasha, dear.”

Kagome looked at her mother, marveling at her ability to make statements like that with such certainty and assurance. How could she sit there so calmly and smile when she said that?

“How do you know, Mama? How can you be sure?”

“I’m your mother, dear. It’s a mother’s job to know these things. You don’t think I’d let you run off to the past with Inuyasha if I didn’t know you’d be safe, do you? I’ve known from the beginning that everything would turn out okay. Have faith in him, Kagome...and in yourself.”

Kagome smiled too. Her mother was crazy, she was sure of it, but Kagome decided it was a good kind of crazy and maybe it was contagious. Maybe everything would be okay. Maybe she should just have faith and stop analyzing everyone’s motives. Maybe she should just let Inuyasha give her what she wants without worrying about why he wants it too. She trusted him with her life...maybe she should trust him with her heart too.

She’d had all week to think over everything and, for the most part, her anger was gone. She still had questions and she still wanted to have an in-depth discussion with Inuyasha, but she would force herself to ask questions instead of jumping to conclusions...and jumping through the well.
She sighed. She hoped he wasn’t too mad at her for being so late. She was positive that he was going to start yelling at her the second she got back. She hoped she could hold onto her own temper...

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

Inuyasha was still yelling, even after being sealed in the storage hut for nearly twenty-four hours. His arms were bound behind his back and sealed with ofuda, but he still managed to kick the sealed door with his feet.

It had taken them nearly two hours to subdue him and wrestle him into the hut yesterday. Miroku had a black eye and various other bruises. Sango had a mildly sprained wrist. They were both angry with Shippou, who hid through the whole altercation but wasted no time with voicing his comments afterwards.

Miroku gritted his teeth, angry with himself for losing his temper yesterday. Shippou had been sitting in the corner of Kaede’s hut sulking since then. He was all but hidden inside Kagome’s sleeping bag.

Miroku and Sango’s good moods had ended the moment they had set foot in the well clearing the day before. Their moods were quite low by the time they, along with Kaede, had gotten the hanyou sealed.

Shippou had appeared at their side while they stood catching their breaths outside the storage hut.

“He’s not so tough! He couldn’t even fight off three humans!” the kit yelled, inciting the hanyou in the hut to kick harder against the spiritual seals on the door and curse even more loudly.

Miroku had lost his temper. He’d actually struck the child in the head, just as Inuyasha was in the habit of doing.

“If he’s not so tough, then why were you hiding? The only reason we caught him is because he was trying not to hurt us! You know better than to provoke him and you did it anyway! We do not have the patience of Kagome-sama, Shippou, so do not push your luck again!” he’d yelled angrily, surprising everyone including himself.

Now Miroku sat, leaning against the wall in Kaede’s hut, and watched Sango and Kaede prepare the evening meal. He wondered what would happen if Kagome really had decided not to come back. Their whole group was suffering without her. Inuyasha was, to say the least, unmanageable, and Shippou was more annoying than ever. They were his friends and Miroku had come to genuinely like and care for both of them, but he was beginning to remember why most people believed youkai and humans should not mix. He would not abandon them or give up his friendship with them, but the gods knew it would be difficult without Kagome. It was painfully clear how much they all relied on her.

He sighed. It was already late afternoon and it was unlikely that Kagome would come through the well today. She usually returned in the mornings. They had Kirara positioned at the well watching for her anyway so they would know the minute she came back.

He closed his eyes and relaxed against the wall. Maybe he could rest for a while before he had to go through the ordeal of trying to feed Inuyasha.

Or maybe not.

They all jumped to their feet at the sound of it. Several seconds of complete silence followed, as everyone in the village stood still, wondering what to do.

“It’s the well...” Shippou almost whispered.

His voice seemed to snap the others out of their shock. Miroku ran out the door first, closely followed by Sango.

“Houshi-sama! What do you think it is?” Sango yelled as she shouldered Hiraikotsu and jogged behind him. They saw Kirara running to meet them from the direction of the well.

The sound of another explosion rent the air, preventing Sango from hearing Miroku’s answer, and Inuyasha’s shouts grew louder right afterwards.

“Let me out of this fucking hut, you bastards! I know you’re out there, damn it! Get this shit off me, bouzu, and untie me now!”

“Should we let him out?” she asked as they jogged closer to the storage hut where the hanyou was sealed.

“I don’t think so. Not yet, anyway. He’s unstable, Sango, and he may cause more problems than whatever is at the well,” Miroku answered over the noise of the sealed door being violently kicked over and over again.

They jumped on Kirara and headed toward the well, flying low over the ground. Hoof beats could be heard behind them and they glanced back to see Kaede, riding a small pony, which they recognized as Shippou.

They all passed the sealed hut knowing that Inuyasha could hear them since his shouts became louder and more profane.

Several minutes later, they slowed down to cautiously enter the clearing by the well. Over the years, the clearing had grown in size due to Inuyasha’s habit of knocking down trees when he was angry. So their view of the burnt grass around the barrier was unobstructed as they took a few steps past the forest path.

Kirara landed and they all stopped immediately, unsure if they should stay or turn now and run. Not a one of them believed they had a chance against that particular youkai. They almost wished it had been Naraku instead.

Shippou whimpered, “We can’t fight him.”

After Shippou spoke, Kaede stood on her own and he popped back to his normal form.

“Perhaps we should let Inuyasha out of the hut,” Miroku suggested quietly as he and Sango dismounted from Kirara’s back.

Kaede had never had much interaction with him, but the few times she’d been near him had given her the impression that he was a reasonable youkai. She stepped forward despite the hesitation of the others.

“Sesshoumaru-sama. Why are ye here and what are ye doing?” she asked calmly, her bow in her hand.

He stood, his eyes narrowed, staring at the barrier around the well. Toukijin was still unsheathed. He’d blasted the barrier twice with only scorched earth to show for his efforts. His anger at the young miko for not returning as commanded was boiling just below the surface. Her power, anchored by the dagger, never wavered and the barrier stood firm against his assaults. It defied him just as its creator had. He should kill her if she ever returned. He should kill the hanyou in front of her and then kill her. Her defiance begged for retribution.

He continued to stare at the barrier. The only thing keeping him from assuming his true form and taking out his rage on every living thing in the vicinity was the knowledge that this barrier, or one like it, could one day save Rin’s life. It angered him...but it reassured him too, this barrier. The miko’s strength had held against his own. Rin would be safe in this barrier. Still, the girl’s willful disobedience would not go unpunished. His eyes shifted to the humans in the clearing.

He’d known they were coming. Humans were noisy and clumsy. And he could smell them individually the moment they left their village. And the hanyou...he could hear him still screeching in that shed they had imprisoned him in. All of them were weak and pathetic. And one had the gall to question him. The insolence!

He could kill the old miko easily. A flick of his wrist and her head would be liberated from her body. His eyes moved to study the lined face and the patched eye. Her time would come soon if nature took its course. She had only ten, perhaps fifteen years, at the most. Her weak human body would start to fail her. Pain would become her companion. It would be merciful to end her miserable existence here and now. She would be spared the hardships that age imposed on mortals such as her. However, he was not feeling merciful today. He turned and walked back into the forest named after his brother, leaving her to suffer the ravages of time.

Kaede turned to Miroku and said, “Do ye know what that was about?”

He let out the breath he’d been holding and consciously relaxed his tense shoulders. “It seems that there is yet another impatient youkai who cannot wait for Kagome-sama’s return,” he told her after a moment. He walked toward the barrier.

Sango, Kaede, and Kirara followed him. They walked around the whole barrier, each amazed at the contrast of healthy, green grass growing inside the barrier and dead, burnt grass outside the barrier.

“Do you think Kagome-chan could make a barrier like this again?” Sango asked.

“I’m certain she could, but she must learn control first,” Kaede responded. “Even untrained, she has demonstrated great power.”

“I do not believe there are many shields that could have withstood Sesshoumaru’s wrath, other than Naraku’s,” Miroku added.

They nodded in agreement, each thinking about the amazing girl.

“Where is Shippou?” Kaede suddenly asked.

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

They would bring Inuyasha supper soon and he’d be waiting. As angry as Shippou was with him, he recognized the fact that the hanyou was the only one who could break the barrier and bring Kagome back.

It had terrified him when he realized that Sesshoumaru was actually trying to break the barrier. What if he’d completely destroyed the well by accident? What if he was trying to destroy the well on purpose? He had to be angry with Kagome for not coming back on time. Maybe he meant to break the barrier and the well.

Inuyasha needed to do something fast. There was no way he could talk Miroku into letting Inuyasha out... ‘But maybe I can help him escape,’ Shippou thought.

He transformed and hid by the door to the hut. He heard Inuyasha’s low, menacing comment of, “I know you’re out there, runt,” and wished the hanyou’s nose wasn’t always so sensitive.

“Shut up, Inuyasha. I have a plan...”

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

“We’ll look for him again after we give Inuyasha his supper. It’s getting late and he’ll probably come back on his own anyway. He never misses a meal,” Miroku assured Sango.

He removed the ofuda that sealed the doorway and slid the door open. Neither he nor Sango noticed the strange, redheaded mouse that ran into the hut. Inuyasha pretended not to notice it too.

Miroku took the tray of food from Sango and paused in the doorway, observing the hanyou.

“You seem calm this evening, Inuyasha. Perhaps we will have a peaceful night tonight? I’m sure the villagers would appreciate the quiet so they can sleep.”

“Take this shit off me, bouzu,” was Inuyasha’s reply.

“You know, my friend, the last time I honored that request, you blackened my eye. I think I’ll wait until Kagome-sama can remove them. For now, would you like to eat? You can’t keep refusing food if you expect to have energy to woo Kagome-sama when she returns,” he coaxed.

Miroku knew it had been over two days since Inuyasha had eaten and he was worried about him. They’d tried coaxing him to eat several times already and only received verbal abuse for their efforts. If Inuyasha didn’t eat by the next day, they’d have to unseal him and just hope for the best. He prayed that Kagome returned by then.

“You gonna take this shit off me so I can eat?” Inuyasha challenged.

Miroku hesitated. On the one hand, he wanted Inuyasha to eat. Sealing him in the hut wasn’t something he had wanted to do in the first place. However, to protect Inuyasha from himself – and everyone else from Inuyasha – it was necessary to restrain him until he controlled himself or Kagome returned.

“I ain’t gonna let you feed me like a damned baby, bouzu, so untie my fuckin’ hands.”

Inuyasha had a point, the monk decided, since he had no desire to hand-feed the hanyou either.

“As you wish, Inuyasha. I’ll free your hands, but please do not reward my kindness with violence. Can you move back from the doorway? Surely by now you know that kicking the seals will do you no good.”

“If I could fuckin’ move, I’d be layin’ on the futon instead of the dirt, you bastard. This hut smells like fuckin’ pigs lived in it.”

Miroku sighed. “Only one was kept in here that I know of and it was only for one day. I’ll move you and then free your hands,” he said, almost laughing at the disgusted expression on Inuyasha’s face despite his irritation with the hanyou.

He turned to Sango, who was still hovering behind him, and gave her the tray of food again. He carefully stepped over Inuyasha’s legs, and was relieved that the hanyou did not take advantage of the opportunity to trip him or worse. He grasped Inuyasha under the arms from behind and dragged him the short distance to the futon. He then removed the restraints on his hands.

Inuyasha grunted and flexed his fingers as he brought one hand around in front of himself. The other hand still lay behind him since he was half on his side and half on his stomach. Miroku stepped over him again and retrieved the food from Sango. He kneeled in front of Inuyasha with it.

“Can you sit up?”

“With this many ofuda on my chest and back? Very funny, bastard.”

Miroku sighed again and reminded himself that patience was one of his few virtues, and he should strive not to lose it again. He set the tray on the ground.

“I’m going to remove one, Inuyasha,” he said, reaching slightly under the hanyou and pulling one from his chest. “Try and sit up, please.”
Inuyasha looked like he was straining to sit up, but did not actually do it.

“How many of these fucking things do you have on me, bouzu? You kind of overdid it, don’t you think?” he griped, and then mumbled, “Fucking lecherous bastard,” just loud enough for Miroku to hear.

Thinking back to the ordeal of subduing and sealing Inuyasha in the shed, Miroku thought the hanyou was lucky he didn’t have every square inch of his body papered with ofuda...including his mouth. His lips thinned in annoyance, but he reached over and removed another one from Inuyasha’s chest.

“Can you sit up now?”

The hanyou stayed down and just glared at him. Miroku sighed again. He was tired of dealing with Inuyasha and prayed again that Kagome would come back soon. He leaned over the hanyou and removed an ofuda from his back.

“Try again.”

Inuyasha rose a few inches from the ground, but dropped back down after what seemed like severe straining. Without a word, Miroku removed another ofuda. That left two on his chest and one on his back.

“Houshi-sama, we need to look for Shippou,” Sango pressed.

“And we will, dear Sango. Just give me a moment, please.”

He sighed and removed one more ofuda from Inuyasha’s chest. The hanyou sat up slowly but appeared to be struggling in his movements. Angry gold eyes met his purple.

“The fuckin’ runt ran away? I hope something eats him in the forest. The baka deserves it. It’d just take one bite from some big youkai and it’d be all over for the little shit,” Inuyasha said with apparent glee, slyly glancing at Sango to see her reaction.

She looked alarmed. “We need to look for Shippou now, Houshi-sama. Inuyasha can move enough to eat, so let’s go.” She gave Inuyasha a stern look and said, “We’ll check on you later, Inuyasha, so don’t cause any trouble.”

“Keh, good luck finding the baka. I bet something’s already made him their supper.”

Miroku frowned at Inuyasha, knowing he was taunting Sango for some reason, but not understanding why. He decided that scaring Sango about Shippou’s fate was just another way to vent the anger the hanyou was feeling, as was the cursing and name-calling.

“Houshi-sama, let’s go!” Sango urged, upset by Inuyasha’s words. She left the hut.

“There’s no need to be cruel, Inuyasha,” Miroku scolded as he got up to leave. “And we will indeed look in on you later.”

“Keh.”

Miroku slid the door closed and replaced several of the seals. He didn’t put as many as before, since he was sure they would have to open the door again when they came back in an hour or so.

Inuyasha sat and listened to the activity outside the building. After a few minutes he whispered, “They’re gone. You can come out.”

“You didn’t have to sound so happy about me getting eaten by a youkai, baka. And couldn’t you get him to take off all the ofuda? It’s gonna take forever to get those off you,” Shippou quietly complained as he popped back into his familiar form.

“I had to make sure they stayed away, didn’t I? Sango’s gonna be looking for you all night now, so they won’t bother us. And the bouzu ain’t stupid! I’m surprised he only left two. So, what’s your plan, baka?”

“We have to peel them off you, baka!”

“That’s it? That’s your plan? How’re we gonna do that, baka?”

“We’ll use our hands, baka!”

“That’s not gonna work, baka!”

“Well, do you have a better plan, baka?”

Two hours later...

“I told you that wouldn’t work, you little shit! If you throw one more cup of water on me, I’m gonna knock the snot outta ya!”

“It was worth a try! Paper usually falls apart when it’s wet! Nothing you’ve tried has worked either, baka!” Shippou snapped back.

They both had blisters on the tips of their fingers from repeatedly trying to pull the ofuda off, and the front of Inuyasha’s haori was scorched from a failed experiment with Shippou’s foxfire. Inuyasha’s eyebrows and hair were singed too, and Shippou still sported a lump on his head since Inuyasha refused to believe it was an accident.

Inuyasha sighed. “Damn it! This is never gonna work. The next time Miroku comes in here, I’m gonna threaten to gut him if he doesn’t take this shit off me!”

“That won’t work either, baka! He knows you won’t really hurt him.” He jumped out of the way as Inuyasha took a swipe at him.

“Come over here and let’s see who gets hurt, runt!”

Shippou stuck his tongue out at Inuyasha and pulled the tray across the floor, out of reach of the hanyou.

“What are you doing? Get back over here and think of something that will get this shit off me!” Inuyasha commanded.

“No. You just said you were gonna hurt me if I come near you, and besides, I’m hungry.” He started eating the cold food.

Inuyasha glared at him and Shippou ignored it. It was quiet for a few minutes, except for the noises Shippou made as he ate.

Inuyasha wasn’t in pain from the ofuda, except when he tried to pry them off. But they weighed him down, like the rosary did when Kagome said ‘osuwari’, only this was a constant pull and not a sudden, violent jerk. He wanted them off. He needed to go get Kagome and he needed to make sure Sesshoumaru didn’t damage the well. Damn it, why couldn’t the monk just mind his own business!

“Fuck! I guess there’s no choice.”

Shippou almost choked at the sudden outburst from Inuyasha. He looked over at the hanyou and caught his breath. The air started to crackle with energy around him.

“No! Inuyasha, stop it! You’ll hurt yourself!”

Inuyasha had reached around with one hand and grabbed the edge of the ofuda on his back and, at the same time, grabbed the edge of the ofuda on his chest with his other hand. He was gritting his teeth and pulling on both of them with all his strength, despite the burning pain.

“Stop it! Let go of them! Inuyasha!” Shippou cried, nearly in tears. Even he could feel the burning spiritual power of the ofuda and he was eight or nine feet away.

“Aaaahhhh!” Inuyasha yelled as the tips of his fingers turned almost black and the skin on his palms sizzled and blistered. Streaks of black started to appear in his hair as he was purified. Ironically, the more human he became, the less the ofuda burned him. It became easier to remove them.

With one last burst of strength, Inuyasha ripped the paper seals away. They fluttered to the ground as he fell to the futon, unconscious.

“Inuyasha!” Shippou cried, running to the hanyou. He patted the older boy’s cheek and said, “Inuyasha! Inuyasha! Wake up!”

The hanyou didn’t move. Shippou stepped back and angrily kicked one of the ofuda away from the futon. He hissed in pain and hopped on one foot as it burned his toes. He sat down and carefully turned over one of Inuyasha’s hands to look at the palm and fingers, and hissed again in sympathy. It was terrible. It was worse than the burns Inuyasha had those times that the Dragon-Scaled Tessaiga backfired on him. He was sure it had been beyond painful for the hanyou. The worst of the burns were on his fingers, but his hands and wrists were red and blistered too.

Shippou wasn’t sure who he should admire more; Miroku, whose spiritual powers were awesome, even when used in small doses on a hanyou who was considered a friend, or Inuyasha, who was strong enough and determined enough to overcome the spiritual powers that subdued him.

He sighed and went over to the tray of food to retrieve the cloth napkin. He tore it in two strips and dipped it in the cool water in the bucket by the door. He went back and wrapped the hanyou’s hands as best he could to relieve some of the pain.

He sat by the older boy and muttered, “Baka,” but there was sad affection in his voice.

Shippou waited tensely for someone to come find out why Inuyasha yelled, but no one showed up. After a while, he leaned back against the older boy and closed his eyes, hoping he could get a little rest.

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

Shippou woke up to the sound of Sango and Miroku’s voices passing the storage hut.

“We’ll look again in the morning, Sango. We are both tired. You didn’t sleep last night any more than I did with all of Inuyasha’s ranting.”

“Should we check on him, Houshi-sama?”

“No. He’s quiet, so let’s leave him alone. Maybe we can talk him into helping us look in the morning. Or maybe Kagome will return and Kirara can leave the well and help us look. If Kagome does return, she can convince Inuyasha to look for Shippou too.”

“Okay. But I don’t know if I can sleep. I’m so worried.”

“I’m sure Shippou is just hiding from us. I’m sure he is fine and we will find him unharmed.”

Their voices faded and Shippou felt guilty for tricking them, but he’d been desperate. Inuyasha had to go get Kagome. He just had to. Shippou needed her and that’s all there was to it. He hoped Sango and Miroku wouldn’t be too mad at him.

He settled back against Inuyasha’s side and went back to sleep.

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

Inuyasha hurt...all over. Especially his hands. The pain brought him slowly to consciousness and, without opening his eyes, he took inventory. He was still in the damned pig-smelling hut. Shippou was next to him. Something was wrapped around his aching hands. The birds outside were just beginning to make noise and so were a few villagers. It was early morning, not long after sunrise apparently. Damn it...he’d wasted all night lying here.

He opened his eyes and started to sit up but didn’t make it past propping himself up on his elbows. Shit, it hurt! He felt pain in every muscle, bone, and joint in his body. Even the soles of his feet hurt...maybe he shouldn’t have spent so much time kicking the ofuda on the door. He groaned.

His movements woke Shippou.

“’nuyash–” Shippou started to mumble, but a huge yawn interrupted his attempt. He rubbed his eyes and sat up.

“Inuyasha? Are you okay now? Your hair is normal again. I don’t see any black in it now.”

“Fuck, no wonder I hurt so bad. The damned bouzu’s crap-paper nearly purified me.”

“Well, yeah, baka. What did you expect them to do?”

Inuyasha slowly sat up all the way but didn’t have the energy to bop the kit on the head. He stared at the sealed door for a few moments, trying to decide the best way to get out of the hut. He thought about blasting out with Tessaiga, but he wasn’t sure if it would work. What if the blast was contained inside the spiritual seal the ofuda created? He’d be hurt worse. He had to consider Shippou too. Sure, Shippou was a youkai and he’d probably survive, but he’d still be hurt if the blast imploded instead of exploded. The fuckin’ houshi almost certainly put more power into the seals on the building than he used in the seals on him. Inuyasha didn’t think he could risk using Tessaiga. Damn it!

He sighed and looked at the kit, who was drinking tea from a jug that had been on the food tray. Inuyasha’s mouth was dry too. And he was hungry. Maybe refusing food for the past few days had not been a good idea.

“Oi, baka. Bring me that.”

Shippou looked back at him and, in a very Kagome-like manner, said, “What’s the magic word?”

“Now.”

Shippou huffed and brought the jug to Inuyasha, saying, “That’s not the magic word and you know it.”

“It worked, didn’t it?” Inuyasha said as he took the jug from the kit and drank the rest of the tea.

“Now how are we gonna get out of here?” he asked Shippou, standing up and wincing as he stretched. Some of his strength was returning, but he still felt very weak. He wondered if he could even defend himself if his life depended on it in his present condition.

“Aren’t you going to use Tessaiga?” Shippou replied.

“I might if I was sure the damned houshi’s seals wouldn’t just reflect the blast back at us. You think I should try it?”

Shippou looked worried. “No, maybe you shouldn’t try that,” he said hastily and thought about it a few minutes.

“And when we get out, we need to keep Miroku away so I can try Red Tessaiga on the well. You’ll have to distract them. Sango might try and stop me too,” Inuyasha said.

“They will be sleeping for a while longer, I think,” Shippou told him. “They stayed out almost all night looking for me.” He looked troubled at that.

“See? I told you Sango would keep looking for you and they wouldn’t bother us,” Inuyasha said smugly.

“I didn’t mean to make her worry that much,” Shippou said guiltily.

“Of course, she’s gonna worry, you stupid runt. You’re like our–uh, her little brother or something. She’s not gonna let something happen to you if she can help it, baka.”

Shippou noted Inuyasha’s slip of the tongue and the blush the hanyou sported. He didn’t comment on it though, deciding for once to just take comfort in the fact that he had friends who cared for him. Plus, Inuyasha’s statement gave him an idea.

“I think you may be right, Inuyasha. If Sango thought something was happening to me, she’d come save me, right?”

“That’s what I just said, baka! Weren’t you listening?”

Shippou ignored Inuyasha’s grumpiness. “So if I started yelling right now and acted like you were killing me in here, she’d make Miroku open the door, right?”

Understanding lit Inuyasha’s eyes and he grinned. “Yeah, but you have to keep up the act after the door’s open. I don’t want them following me to the well. I know damn well you can cry and act like you’re dying for hours, faker, so distract them for as long as you can.”

Shippou grinned his most evil kitsune grin and then opened his mouth to scream.

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo



oOoOoOoOoOoOo ~ End Chapter 11 ~ oOoOoOoOoOoOo


Author’s Notes:

I hope you like this chapter and please, please review!

I thank everyone who wished my family well. We are all fine and grateful for it. Here in Louisiana, we know people who were affected much worse than we were this hurricane season, so all in all, we’re pretty lucky. My parents’ house is still missing half the roof but construction crews are scheduled soon, so maybe we can celebrate Christmas in their house like we normally do.

Originally, this chapter and the next were combined, but the chapter was so long, I didn’t think it would load correctly on the fanfiction sites, so I split it into two chapters and I’m posting them both today. I hope you leave feedback for both. Please? :)

I’ve sent out email notification to everyone who left their email on AFF or requested it on MM.org or FF.net (if I could see your email). I’ve also opened a Live Journal account to post progress reports on my chapters. You can find it here http://soutassister.livejournal.com/ if you are interested. I’m hugely thankful and full of awe for Angelica Pierce for her generous time and the talent she put into designing the layout there. She’s absolutely fabulous. ^_^

Thank you to everyone who left their comments for the past chapters and/or emailed their feedback to me. I appreciate it. Several of you have been prodding me by email and it has reminded me to make time to write. So InuSaga, Midoriko-sama, Lynns, Sayanna The Rover, and Angelica Pierce, thank you for your gentle (and not so gentle) pushing, and your patience.

And special thanks goes to those of you still reviewing. Chapter 10 reviewers on Mediaminer:

Amie - InuSaga is being very productive. I just borrow a bit of her time. Thanks for reading. :)

angelica incarnate - They will talk soon. I hope I don't disappoint you. Thanks for everything. :)

Ashra - Here's the next two chapters, I hope you think they are a gift too. :)

Cynbad146 - Someone needed to hit Inuyasha over the head with a few facts, didn't they? :)

Dragoncountess98 - Sorry, it's not finished yet, but I'm getting there. Thanks for reading. :)

eeviloverlord - You picked up on Mama's actions, did you? Heh, heh, heh... :)

Inunotaishogirl (email) - Thanks and good luck with your story. :)

InuGrrrl - Yes, Sess is definitely in a bad mood. Hope you liked this chapter and the next. :)

Lady_Kagome - I'm glad you like it. And Sess still has that book. :)

Radish - Yes, Kikyou is complex. Her choices were taken from her. She does the best she can. :)

reader1 - Thank you! I'm glad you like it. :)

shadowwolf_02 - Yes, there is more yelling to come. :)

silentdeath911 - Thank you. I appreciate the reveiw. :)

xbitternessx - 'Sorry I made you re-read it. I hope you liked it the second time too. :)

You really make writing this worth my while! ~~ SoutasSister

PS – I’ll post the next chapter later tonight or early in the morning. I’m just double-checking a few things. ^_^
...