InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What Happened to Goodbye ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 2
Inuyasha’s POV
It really has been two years since I left her, hasn’t it. I really hate when I start having thoughts of her. It only makes the moving on process harder than it has to be. I guess I should back up though and explain what I’m talking about; rather than talking in meaningless circles. Anyway, my name is Inuyasha, I’m twenty-four years old. I’m currently in the process of taking over my father’s company since he is already on his last few breaths of life. I shook my head at that; my dad has been controlling my life since my older brother, Sesshomaru, disowned himself from the family, leaving me as the successor. Sesshomaru left for good reason though, I can certainly understand his motives. Dad’s always been a control freak. It’s his way, or no way at all. I looked down at the wedding band that has been like a fire burning on my finger since the day I go it. Yea, you guessed it, I’m married; another one of my father’s bright ideas. He’s the reason I’m as miserable as I am now.
I’ve been forced to become my father’s successor, forced to give up the girl of my dreams, forced to marry a women I feel nothing for because her family is a financial asset to our company. If you hadn’t figured it out by now, my dad’s business wasn’t doing too well, and hasn’t been for a while. Things weren’t looking up until I was thrown into a marriage with this woman named Kikyo. I can’t stand this my life though, I haven’t cracked a smile for the past two years, because the person that genuinely brought me joy, I forced to push away.
I pulled a picture out from the drawer of my work desk. The photo was taken on the night of our on sixth month anniversary. I was holding her by the small of her back, while she wrapped her legs around my waist, and her arms around my neck. We were looking into each other’s eyes lovingly. This girl was really everything to me, I can’t even put into words how I felt about her. She may have been six years younger than me, but it didn’t matter. We had something unbreakable. Well, I guess I shouldn’t say unbreakable…because I did break it. Pretty rough, might I add. It would probably make more sense, if I tell you how we got to this point, it is a story all on its own, and since I’m thinking about her anyway, I guess telling you will help me clear my head.
-X-
The anniversary date
Inuyasha was standing at the bottom of the steps of Kagome’s house wearing no more than a basic pair of baggy jeans, and a black button down. He was scratching his head awkwardly as he waited for his girlfriend to descend the stairs. Her grandfather and mother only stood angrily at him knowing how old he really was and wanting to know where his morals where in dating a sixteen year old girl. Inuyasha was going to be entering college for his senior year. What exactly could he possibly want in a high school girl? Overall, Kagome’s family didn’t trust him and her together from the gate, but, Kagome never listened to anyone.
Kagome came down the steps wearing a black, sequin pencil skirt with a green, push-up crop top and nude heels. Her hair was straightened out, and down. She finished putting her hoops in her ears when she got to the bottom of the steps, and smirked at her boyfriend. She could tell that Inuyasha was blown away by the way she looked, seeing the slight red tint that was growing across his face.
“You, look…uh, uh” I can’t say what I want to say with her family shooting my death glares.
“Thank’s Inuyasha,” Kagome replied while throwing her arms around his neck leaning in for a kiss.
“Ahem,” Kagome’s grandfather cleared his throat to gain the attention from the young couple. “And where exactly do you think you are going dressed like that, young lady?”
Kagome raised her eyebrow, “I think, I’m going out with Inuyasha.”
“In that half assed outfit, I don’t think so!” Her mother chided.
“Listen, I’m a straight “A” student, top of my class. Always on top of myself about things. So, if I want to let loose, and show off a little skin for my guy, that’s what I’m going to do.” Kagome grabbed Inuyasha’s hand and started leading him towards the front door, “I’ll be home later, but I don’t know how late. If it gets too late, I’ll come back in the morning.”
On that note, Inuyasha and Kagome walked out of the front door leaving Kagome’s mother and grandfather inside with the same worried look on their faces. “I don’t like this new attitude and personality that, that girl is developing. That boy is a bad influence. She thinks she’s grown when she’s still a child.” Her grandfather said.
“Please watch over my daughter…” Her mother whispered.
---
Kagome and Inuyasha sat across from one another of the dinner table at a fancy Chinese restaurant. Inuyasha felt that since was the first anniversary that they would be celebrating, it should be special.
“You really looked smokin’ when you came down stairs. I almost drooled.” He said jokingly and Kagome chuckled.
“You are so inappropriate,” She said.
“Well, can you blame me? My girl is pretty hot.” Inuyasha winked at her.
“Oh, don’t worry. She knows that.” Kagome looked around at the atmosphere and was astonished, “You really didn’t have to take me here. Are you sure you don’t want me to split the bill with you-”
Inuyasha reached across the table and laced his fingers with hers. “You don’t have to worry about any of that. I told you before, and I’ll tell you again. You’re worth it.”
Kagome smiled, “These past six months have truly been amazing.”
Inuyasha reached into his pocket and pulled out a black box and pushed it towards her, “Here, I got this for you.”
Her eyes widened, “B-but, Inuyasha I don’t have anything for you-”
“Shut your mouth, and just open it. Besides,” He raised his eyebrow, “I’m going to get my gift later on tonight anyway.”
She blushed, and opened the box. Inside, was the beautiful white-gold necklace with a diamond incrusted “K” charm that dangled. Kagome’s eyes lit up, “Inuyasha, I can’t take this. It’s way too expensive.”
“Don’t worry about the cost, and just accept your gift. I told you before…you are worth it. Just promise to always stand by me, and trust everything that I say and do.”
“Am I really, that important to you?”
Inuyasha leaned across the table and captured her lips with his. At the same moment, a camera flash went off in their direction.
The manager of the restaurant had taken a photo of them on an old Polaroid camera, “You two are such a cute couple. You must let me add this to our picture wall!”
Inuyasha and Kagome smiled at the older man talking to them. “Only if you take a picture for us to keep as well!” Inuyasha replied.
“Of course,” Said the old man.
Inuyasha took Kagome’s hand and they both stood up. Kagome snaked her arms around Inuyasha’s neck, and he picked her up by her waist. “I love you, Kagome.” He whispered in her ear, and Kagome started smiling cheek to cheek. “I love you too, she said.”
The old man, snapped a picture of the two, and handed it to Inuyasha.
-X-
That was the first time I had ever told Kagome that I loved her. I shook my head of the memories of that night. I never liked when I started reminiscing on the past. Kagome wasn’t a factor in my life anymore, but not by choice. If I could still be with her, I would. I don’t even like the woman I’m married to, and I’m pretty sure the feeling is mutual. Hell, we don’t even sleep in the same room, let alone the same bed. I’ve never touched her, I don’t even really want to either.
I balled my fist up. I’ll have to at some point though. My father has already been hounding me about needing a successor of my own. His line’s “Inuyasha, you and Kikyo have been married for nearly a year and a half, and you barely look at her. How do you expect to have a child if you distance yourself from your woman?” Answer to that, I don’t want a kid, and I don’t want her!
Actually, I wouldn’t mind having a kid. Just not with Kikyo in this loveless ‘so-called’ marriage. And, being married wouldn’t be all that bad, if it were to a woman of my choosing. A marriage for love is better than a marriage for business. That’s all this arrangement is, anyway. I still remember the day my father broke the news to me.
-X-
Inuyasha pushed open the door to his father, Inutashio’s, study. His father had called in him, and looked pretty serious. Inuyasha could tell he meant business when he was met face to face with the harsh eyes of his father.
“Come in, son.” He said, and Inuyasha took a seat in one of the couches at the end of his father’s desk.
“What’s up, pop?” Inuyasha said with a raised eyebrow.
“It has been brought to my attention that Sesshomaru has disowned the family, and therefor forfeits his right as a successor to Takahashi Industries.”
Inuyasha crossed his arms, “Sucks to suck…what does that have to do with me?”
Inutashio pulled out a cigar, and lit it, taking a long puff and blowing out smoke. “It has everything to do with you, at least, it does now.”
“Okay, talk faster-”
“Since Sesshomaru is forfeiting his birth right, that makes you the next successor. That means that you will be the one to marry the woman Kikyo to complete the company merger at the end of the season.”
Inuyasha looked at his father unfazed, “Yea…okay, whatever.” He said, “Are we done here?”
“This isn’t a joke, Inuyasha. You know as well as I do that the company is slowly, but surely falling. No thanks to you and your excessive spending on that jailbait girl that you are infatuated with. You will end your relationship with that girl, and marry Kikyo by the end of May.”
“Like hell I will! I’m happy with the relationship that have! I love Kagome; I’m not giving her up for you!”
Inutashio stood up from his desk and starred furiously at his son. “You and I both know that I have ways of getting what I want Inuyasha. So, either you comply…or the girl will suffer, and it will be entirely your fault. Now, would you like something to happen to the one you say you love?”
Inuyasha hung his head low, and his black bangs covered his eyes, “How can you be so vindictive,” He said in a low growl. “I’ll do whatever you want, just leave Kagome out of this.”
“I’m glad you see it my way.”
Inuyasha stormed out of his father’s study and broke down in the hallway of his house. “How am I going to break this to Kagome?”
-X-
That day still plagues me. I remember it like it was yesterday. I ended up breaking up with Kagome that the last day in April. I already knew she wasn’t going to take it well, so I tried to make it as easy for her as possible. I distanced myself from her, and stopped talking to her as much. When the day finally came to let her go, I didn’t even have the heart to tell her why. I knew it would hurt her too much. I mean, how well does anyone take, ‘hey, I’m leaving you to go be with someone else’? I would have crushed Kagome in body and spirit. I couldn’t do that to her, so I decided it was best to just let how go with as little explanation as possible. I wonder if she ever forgave me for breaking her heart like that. I often wonder if she has been able to move on from that day. I’d hate to be the reason Kagome was stuck in the past. I can’t keep thinking about her though. I’m a married man. My lingering feelings towards Kagome, and hatred for what my father made me do is what prevents me from leaving that day in the park.
I took a deep breath while standing up from my desk and exiting my office. It was already past time for me to leave and I knew I was going to catch an earful from my so ‘wife’ for my tardiness. Ask me how much I care though? I can’t do anything right when it comes to Kikyo. It’s always the same thing every day. That’s why I learned to tune her out a long ass time ago. I just don’t know how much longer I can take that woman. She drives me nuts day in and day out. You don’t know how much I would give just to have twenty-four hours of happiness. I chuckled at that thought; I gave up happiness the day I decided to submit to my father’s wishes. It’s what I know I had to do though. With Sesshomaru out of the picture, and my father getting ready to croak any day now, someone had to continue to legacy; and without Kikyo and her money, we were sure to go bankrupt. So, I guess I am indebted to her…if only for that.
I opened up the door to my black mustang and hopped inside, fastening my seatbelt. My stomach growled, and I knew that Kikyo didn’t cook anything. She never did, in all honesty I don’t even think she knows how. She always made the housekeeper make her meals, and I sometimes did the same. I just don’t feel like waiting an hour or so to eat at the moment. I want something deep fried, and covered in grease, that will be ready now. That’s when I decided to just stop by WacDonald’s and grab a few burgers, and call it a day. I revved up my engine, and started my rout to greasy foods.
I drove in silence for a few miles, before deciding to break the silence by turning on the radio. When the radio warmed up, and turned on, the station was playing some terrible k-pop version of ‘OMG’ by Usher. Quickly, I just turned the song off and figured it was better to just drive in silence. I pulled up to a red light and let out a breath I didn’t know I was holding. Damnit! Why did I have to get stuck at this traffic light? It takes too long to change! Throwing a fist at my steering wheel, I gave up and just patiently waited for the light to change.
I watched as a woman, carrying a baby in a car seat crossed in front of me. I felt for her. It was a pretty chilly January night. I heard it was supposed to snow pretty badly, later on. I couldn’t see the baby in the car seat, because the woman had a blanket over top of it. I assumed it was to protect the child from the chilly weather. When she got to the other side of the street, she sat down on a bus bench on the corner. Something about that young woman looked familiar. But, I didn’t pay too much attention to the gut feeling. I decided to blame it on my growing hunger pains. I know, that I DON’T know any women with children.
Still, something did seemed oddly familiar about the woman at the bus stop…
-X-
Kagome’s POV
I could feel the temperature dropping drastically as the winters air rapidly blew on me and Ira. I had just gotten off of work, and picked her up from her baby sitter. I stood at the corner of a red light, waiting for it to turn green while crossing my fingers, hoping I didn’t already miss the bus. It was way too cold for my daughter to be out in this weather. I had her dressed in layers, and also put a blanket over the car seat she was in. The light turned green, and I crossed in front of this expensive looking black car. Whoever owned that was lucky. I don’t even have a car, I can’t afford to buy one. And, even if I had one…I couldn’t afford to keep it. Always paying insurance, registration, and everything else that comes with owning a vehicle.
When I got to the other side of the street, I took a seat on the bench to wait for by bus. Ira started to stir and make some noise. I looked inside her baby bag in search of her pacifier with one hand, while rocking the car seat back and forth with the other. Yea, the magic skill of multitasking is a bit enhanced once you become someone’s mother.
A vicious wind blew, causing the hood I had over my head to blow off exposing my head and face to the blistering, cold January weather. I noticed the bus, coming up the street toward where I was standing. I also noticed that the light had changed, and that same black mustang hadn’t moved. Of course, I couldn’t see who was inside because the windows were tinted a deep black. Whatever, it didn’t bother me because my bus pulled up anyway. I grabbed all of my things, and walked onto the bus.
-X-
AN: I know, I know. To the readers that follow me, I broke my schedule. I know I usually don’t update the same story twice in a row. So, that means I owe you guys two chapter for either Star Struck or The Golden Paintbrush. I haven’t decided which one I am going to update first though. Anyway, I couldn’t resist writing this chapter. I didn’t want to forget the idea that I had floating in my head. I honestly thought of it, right after I wrote the first chapter of this story. So, tell me…what do you think of it? Do you like it? Or do you hate it? This chapter answers the question that I haven’t gotten asking, why Inuyasha left Kagome so cruelly in the first place. However, there is a lot that I am going to have happen to these two. As you can see, they both have two very different, and emotional stories.
Who do you favor at the moment? In all honesty, I can’t side with one and not the other. Both sides have an equal amount of anguish for their loved one. In any event, please leave me a review and tell me what you think.
Kriss