InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What Happened to Goodbye ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 3
Kagome’s POV
“All night, all day…angels watching over me my Lord. All night, all day…angels watching over me.” I sang the slow melodic tone softly to my daughter while rocking her to sleep. Since all the cold weather lately, and snowstorm currently plaguing Japan, Ira hadn’t been feeling so well. She began running a low grade fever earlier today, according to the sitter. I was fortunate to get off work a little earlier and was able to give her the attention that she so clearly needed.
After giving her a second dose of Tylenol for the day, she seemed a little more comfortable. Her fever hadn’t gone down thought. But, since she was still below an emergency temperature, I didn’t get too alarmed. I just assumed that she contracted a small cold from being outside too much.
Finally, the sandman took over and she drifted into dreamland. Sometimes I wonder what Ira dreams about; or, if she dreams at all at her age. I placed a loving kiss to her forehead before standing up from the couch in our small, one bedroom apartment. I headed for the bedroom, to place her inside her crib for the night, when I heard a knock from my front door.
I took a look at the digital clock on my dresser that read ten-thirty, “Who could that be at this hour?” I said to myself while placing my daughter in the crib and tucking her in.
Whoever was on the other side of my front door knocked again, this time louder than the first. “Just a second,” I yelled while closing the bedroom door and clipping the baby monitor to the hip of my dark green sweatpants. I crossed my arms over my chest in order to hide the fact that I wasn’t currently wearing a bra under my white tank top.
Skeptically, I opened the door not knowing what to expect at this time of night. “Hello,” I said, when my ocean blue eyes were met with a familiar sad looking brown pair.
“It really is you…”
-X-
Inuyasha’s POV (Picking up where chapter 2 left off)
I was readying myself to pull my foot off the break because I noticed the light finally change after a yearlong red-light. Before I pulled off though, I shot that strangely familiar looking girl one more glance when I noticed a big gust of wind blow the hood she was wearing, right off her head.
“K-Kagome…” I whispered to myself as I tried to get a good look at the girl. Her face was somewhat hard to seen because she bent down to pick up her baby and then the bus pulled up, obstructing my vision. “Inuyasha, you’re seeing things…you’re hallucinating because you’re hungry.” I said to myself.
That’s right; there was no way that I was seeing Kagome right now. She was long gone, and he hadn’t seen or heard from her since. Plus, this woman had a child with her…and Kagome, no. She would have to be eighteen by now. She had big dreams, there was no way that she would have thrown all that away and get pregnant.
I laughed at myself for even thinking of something so obssered. But still, I have to see who this woman is myself…I have to confirm for my own sanity. That girl could not be the woman I once loved so long ago. But, if it was…then I would have to accept the fact that she moved on and started a life with another man. In which case, I would be happy for her. I would support her in her decision to find true love and happiness because I love her that much.
When the bus ready to pull off, I pulled over so that I could follow it from behind. I couldn’t believe what I was doing. Somewhere, this has to borderline stalking. But, I couldn’t help myself. I needed to see Kagome again. I needed to know how she was, if she was okay. More for myself than hers though. I knew after these past years, I’m probably not the first person she would want to see; and even knowing that in my head, I still miss her.
I ended up following that bus for about twenty-five blocks to an apartment complex in a rustic part of Japan. It wasn’t the best area, but it certainly wasn’t the worse part of the world. I saw the woman of interest exit the bus, but her hood was up once again, and this time, she was holding her heavily bundled up child in one arm, with the baby bag inside the car seat, in the other. I still couldn’t see the baby, due to her being covered up by that extra blanket once again.
After seeing which apartment the girl went into with her child, I parked my Mustang and had an inner battle with myself about going up to the door. Part of me really wanted to, just to know if that was really my lost love of two years ago. But, the other part of me countered the first with thoughts of ‘what will I do if she isn’t?’ and, ‘Is it really a good idea to show up back in her life after all this time?’ I sighed and leaned my chair back a little while processing these thoughts in my head. No, I really didn’t think it was a good idea to just show up. It was through my own selfish will that I even followed this girl all the way to her home, when there was still a chance that it wasn’t even Kagome.
“But, what if it is…?” I whispered to myself. I can’t continue going through life wondering that if’s, and’s & but’s. Still, I wondered what I would even say to her if it really was Kagome. It wouldn’t be like before we’re we could talk openly, and honest to one another. It would be almost like we were strangers.
I finally got the courage to get out of my car and walk up to the front for of the tiny apartment. However, before I knocked, I listened for anything I would be able to hear through the hollow, fiberglass door. I could hear a soft voice singing beautifully on the other side. I couldn’t make out the words, but the singing still helped calm my nerves. When it stopped, I heard footsteps getting a little further away from the door, so I knocked. When I didn’t immediately get an answer, I knocked again.
“Just a second,” I heard from the inside. Then, a few seconds later the door opened. “Hello,”
My brown eyes met her blue ones that held nothing in them but sadness in anguish. “It really is you…” I whispered.
-X-
Narration Form
Kagome stood idly while trying to process what was currently going on around her. “Inuyasha…” She said lowly, more to herself than to him. Then, her eyes widened, “Inuyasha!” She screamed and slammed the door shut in his face. She leaned up against the door, and slid down to the floor holding her knees close to her chest. Her heart rate sped up about 10 beats per minute.
‘No, why is he here…why now?’ She thought.
“Please open the door, Kagome…” He said from the other side.
A tear snuck down her cheek, ‘Please go away, Inuyasha. I don’t need this…not now, not ever.’
Inuyasha knocked on the door some more, knowing well enough that she could hear him. “Just talk to me,” He bellowed. “Talk to me now, and I promise you won’t ever have to see me again if you don’t want to.”
Kagome lifted her head, and stood up, opening the door once more, “Why, Inuyasha? Why should I talk to you? Were your words two years ago not enough? You want to break me down some more?” She said with an expressionless look on her face.
“Uh,” Inuyasha let out a deep sigh, not really knowing what to talk about now that he had her attention. He never thought about what he would say to her if he ever did see her again.
Kagome raised an eyebrow, “Well…?” She said, wanting to get him off her doorstep as quickly as possible.
Still, Inuyasha didn’t say anything. He was lost for words and simply stared at the girl that once meant everything to him, and probably still did. He took in everything about her, her face, her body; everything about her was the same. Except her eyes, Inuyasha had never seen so much sadness in her eyes.
“Look, if you have nothing to say to me then I’m going to clo-”
“Wait!” Inuyasha outburst while sticking his foot in between the door and post, making it impossible for her to close the door on him again.
“Oh my goodness, Inuyasha; what the hell do you want!? Why are you here, and how did you even know where I live?”
Inuyasha took a deep breath, “Can I come in?” He asked her.
Kagome crossed her arms and walked onto her front door step, closing the door and leaning up against it. “No, you can’t! Now, answer my questions.”
“I-I kind of followed you home, but I don’t know why. I didn’t think that far in advanced.” Kagome furrowed her brows while listening to Inuyasha’s ranting. “I never thought about what I would say if I ever saw you again.”
“Why not just pick up where you left off?” Kagome pondered for a moment, “I believe the last think you said to me was, Please let me go, Kagome…we’re done here.” She said while imitating him form two years ago.
Her words hit him in a soft spot, he never realized how harsh that line sounded until the words were repeated back to him. It was at that point that he realized that she had gotten over him about as much as he had gotten over her. But, she was too hurt, and bitter to even have a conversation with him. Not that he deserved it very much. He knew that too, after what he did to her, Inuyasha was lucky she was even talking to him as much as she was at the moment.
A baby’s cry roared through the front door, and Kagome’s eyes widened. “Look, if your done with your counterproductive chatter, I’m going to go back in the house.” She said while turning around and twisting the doorknob.
Inuyasha grabbed her shoulder, halting her for a moment. “Kagome, is that baby…really yours?” He asked, with sympathy filled I his voice.
Kagome clenched her chest, feeling tears form in the corners of her eyes. “ Please let me go, Inuyasha…we’re done here.” He released his hold on her, and Kagome walked into her apartment. But before closing the door completely, she gave him a final look. “The words hurt don’t they, Inuyasha? Yea, I know…because I’ve been hearing it in my dreams every night since that day.” Kagome took a deep breath not being able to hold back the well of tears that were now falling down her face. “Now, imagine hearing it…six weeks pregnant.”
With that said, Kagome closed the door on Inuyasha leaving him both hurt and confused outside of her door.
-X-
Inuyasha’s POV
“Now, imagine hearing it…six weeks pregnant.” The line replayed itself in my head for the past twenty-four hours since the moment I left Kagome’s house. Was she really pregnant when I broke up with her? I lay back on my bed, with my arms rested behind my head. It wasn’t like she would have any reason to lie to about something like that. But, if she really was pregnant, then that would make me the father…wouldn’t it? I never took Kagome as one to cheat.
“Inuyasha,” My thoughts were broken by the voice of my wife.
“What do you want, Kikyo?” I answered her, but never turned to look her in the eye. The two of us had a very civil relationship. We didn’t speak any more than we had to, which was perfectly fine with me.
She walked over to my bedside, and handed me the cordless phone. “Someone from Tokyo Hospital is on the phone,”
“The hospital?” I sat up and took the phone from her, “Hello?”
“Am I speaking with Inuyasha Takahashi?” The voice on the other end asked me.
“Yes, who is this?” I answered in a slight.
“This is Dr. Hojo, from Tokyo Hospital. Your father, Inutashio Takahashi is in here after suffering a stroke and is in a comatose state. I can see in his paperwork that you are his next of kin. I need you come down and come obtain power of attorney.”
I took a deep breath, because I knew this day was coming soon. I just wasn’t sure, how soon. “Alright, I’ll be down there as soon as I can.”
~X~
Narration Form
“Alright, so that’s two bacon, and onion omelets with hash browns. Would you like me to bring you some coffee with your food?” Kagome asked the customers she was currently waiting on at work.
She worked as a waitress in an old, run down diner right outside Tokyo going toward Osaka. It was alright there, the people are nice enough, and her co-workers were considerate of situation with Ira.
“Uh, no coffee, thank you. But, could you bring a refill on orange juice?” The customer asked me.
“Of course, I’ll bring it right now for you!” She answered with a smile and walked away from the table to go put the order in.
“Kagome,” Ayame, one of the other waitresses walked up to her, and called her name.
She turned around to the front of the counter and started pouring the orange juice in a tall glass for the people at her table, “Hey Ayame, what’s up?” Kagome asked.
“Your baby sitter is on the phone. I think there is something wrong with your daughter?” She replied.
Kagome’s eyes widened, and the dropped the glasses of orange juice on the floor. The friction from the fall caused the glass to break and orange juice splattered all over the floor and on her shoes. “Damnit…” She whispered.
“I’ll clean this up, and cover your table. Go take the phone call.” Ayame said, noticed Kagome’s worried expression.
“Thanks Ayame.” Kagome walked into the back and picked up the wall phone. “Hello, Rin…is that you?”
“Kagome, Kagome I don’t know what to do!” The young girl bellowed loudly into the telephone.
“What’s wrong!? Is Ira alright? What happened?” Kagome asked, feeling her anxiety begin to build up.
“No, something is wrong. She won’t stop crying, and she is incredibly hot. I tried giving her the Tylenol like you said, and she threw it all up. She won’t eat, and I can’t get her to calm down! I don’t know what else to do!”
Kagome’s heart nearly skipped a beat as she heard the screams of her baby through the phone. This cry was different than the normal ‘I’m hungry’ or ‘I’m wet’. The cry that she heard through the phone sounded like pain and she couldn’t help but shed a tear for her child. “Alright, take her to Tokyo Hospital and ask for Dr. Hojo. I’ll leave work right now, and meet you there. If they ask you any questions you don’t know the answers to, just tell them to wait until I get there. It should only take me about an hour.”
“Alright,” Rin answered, and they hung up the phone.
While running her fingers through her silky, black tresses, she sighed. “I knew I shouldn’t have gone to work today…”
-X-
Inuyasha was sitting next to his father’s hospital bed not knowing rather to feel pity, or be happy. Inutashio just looked so lifeless while lying down with all types of wires and tubes plugged into him in different places.
“You know, I never thought I would see the day where you are in a vulnerable state old man.” He said while taking a look at the heart monitor.
His father’s heart rate slow, and getting slower every minute. The doctors has already prepared him that his father probably only had the next twenty-four to forty-eight hours left in this world. Even though this moment would relieve him of his overly-controlling father, it was still a hard moment on him. He had been in the hospital all night filling out paperwork, and was finally able to see how his father was doing.
“I tried calling Sesshomaru to see if he would come down and see you. He refused to come, though…I don’t know what you did to him, but if it was anything worse than me…I don’t blame him for not showing up.” Inuyasha shook his head at his father, “Still, no matter how terrible of a person you were…no one deserves to die alone. I guess that’s why I’m even still here.”
“Mr. Takahashi,” A slender nurse with stark red eyes called his name from the door, “Can you follow me to the lobby, you need to finalize a few more things in writing.”
Inuyasha nodded and followed her out the hospital room.
---
“Kagome Higurashi,” Dr. Hojo announced in the hospital lobby.
Kagome stood up and walked over to him, “Hi Hojo. Is my baby okay?” She asked clearly nervous of the answer.
He smiled at her, “Your daughter is going to be just fine. She contracted a bacterial infection that was attacking her immune system, and caused her a middle ear infection. The ear infection is what caused the high fever, and no doubt caused her a lot of pain. That is most likely why she broke into a crying fit on your baby sitter.”
Kagome felt a wave of relief knowing that there wasn’t anything too serious wrong with daughter. “Thank you,”
Hojo took her hand, “No problem, you know I am always here for you and Ira no matter what.”
“You’re such a good friend, Hojo. Can I see her?”
“Well, she is about to have her ear drained and flushed. But, after that, I’ll bring her out and you two can leave. In the meantime, I need you to fill out a form on her health history. I am going to start filling an antibiotic prescription to treat her bacterial infection when you two leave. I’m also going to give you a bottle of ear numbing drops to alleviate some of the discomfort she may feel from the ear infection until it goes away.”
“She’s allergic to penicillin, Hojo. So, any antibiotic you give her will have to be amoxicillin.” She said again while giving him a friendly hug, and taking the clipboard from him to fill out. “I guess I’ll just get started on this then.”
He nodded to her, “I’ll come check on you in a bit.”
Kagome took her seat once again and started filling out the paperwork. Only to be interrupted by someone taking a seat next to her and placing a hand on her knee, “Excuse-” She looked up, and was cut off. Ocean blue eyes were met with deep brown once again
“Is everything alright?” Inuyasha asked with genuine concern for the girl he was sitting next to.
Kagome’s eyes narrowed into slits at him, and she turned her focus back to the paper she needed to fill out.
“Kagome, you don’t have to be like this. I’m just trying to make sure that you’re alright.”
“I’m fine…are we done?” She answered while continuing to write on the clipboard. Inuyasha sighed and grabbed her wrist, so she wouldn’t write anymore…or ignore him for that matter. She looked up and shot him an irritated look while trying to snatch her arm out of his hold. “What the hell, Inuyasha! Let me go and leave me alone! What’s going on with me is none of your business!”
“Look Kagome, I’m sorry for not being there for you before…but I’m here now!” He yelled at her.
Kagome stopped struggling, and she bowed her head in defeat. A tear ran down her face and onto the paperwork resulting in the ink smearing a little on the page. “Why, Inuyasha?”
Inuyasha furrowed his eyebrows. “Why what,” He asked her.
“Why are you here? Why are you showing back up into my life after all this time? Do you know what I went through, trying to get over you? …and here you are, two years later prying yourself back into my life? I don’t want this!” She snatched her hand away from him, “I can’t take this. Seeing you…it hurts too much.”
“I just told you that I was sorry,” He defended himself.
“Sorry doesn’t heal the wound, Inuyasha.”
“Kagome,” Hojo re-entered the room, with Ira in his arms. “Is everything alright?” He asked her noticing the tears in her eyes that weren’t there when he left.
Quickly, she wiped her face with the back of her sleeve. “Yes, everything is fine. Is Ira all set to leave?” Kagome asked while standing up and taking her daughter into her arms and kissing her forehead.
Hojo happily handed over Ira in exchange for the form he had given Kagome a few minutes before. “She is ready, but I need you to wait here for about ten minutes while her prescription finishes filling. Then, you two will be all set, and you can leave.” He placed a hand on her shoulder and shot her a small smile, “You’re a good mother, Kagome…always remember that.”
She nodded, and smiled back at him. Ira rested her head on her mother’s shoulder and closed her eyes. Kagome knew she would be tired after the rough day she had. She rubbed her back soothingly while taking her seat once again.
“I’m glad she’s okay,” Inuyasha whispered.
Kagome shot him an evil glare, “What do you care for, Inuyasha? It’s not like she mattered to you when you broke up with me!”
“I had no idea that you were even pregnant! It’s not like you said anything to me!”
“Because you didn’t give me a chance!” She screamed, and made Ira wake up and start making a little noise from the rude interruption of her dreams, “Shh, mommy is sorry, baby girl.” Kagome said softly while rubbing her daughter’s back soothing her back to sleep and then turned her attention back to her ex-boyfriend. “I found out I was pregnant earlier that day. If I recall, I had something I needed to talk about with you too, I said that when you texted me saying we needed to talk. Now, of course , I wasn’t expecting to just be left high and dry…but, before you walked away from that night, I asked if you really wanted to do what you were doing. I wanted to tell you, right then and there. But, I also didn’t want to you feel as though I was telling you I was pregnant as some pitiful attempt to keep you from leaving me.”
“Why didn’t you ever come and find me?” He asked her.
“What would have been the point? It’s not like things would have ever been the same between us, and I didn’t want to have to raise my daughter of out two households. Clearly, you broke up with me for a reason,” Kagome paused and looked at Inuyasha’s left finger. “And judging by the ring on your finger, the reason is that you became interested in someone else.”
Hojo re-entered the hospital lobby with a paper bag. Kagome stood up, and Inuyasha followed suit. “Thank you for everything, Hojo. I’ll see you later.”
“Be safe.” He said to her and she began walking out of the hospital, but Inuyasha ran after her.
“Kagome, wait…” He said, and she turned around to look at him. “Please, if you need anything…don’t hesitate to come to me. And, I would like to get to know her…” Inuyasha gestured to the baby sleeping in Kagome’s arms.
Kagome let out a deep breath, “I don’t need anything from you, Inuyasha...and as long as I am alive, Ira will never know you.” She said bitterly.
“That’s not fair, Kagome! She’s my daughter too!” He shot back at her.
She raised an eyebrow and nearly laughed in his face. “You are too funny! What are you going to do, Inuyasha? You didn’t even know she existed until two days ago, your name is not on her birth certificate, or anything that has to do with her for that matter. I’m not going to let you force yourself into my daughters-”
“OUR daughter!”
“MY DAUGHTERs life! It’s one thing to hurt me…but I will not let you hurt Ira! I’m sorry, Inuyasha…”
With that being said, Kagome was out of his life for the second time; this time of her own free will. Inuyasha knew that he had to find some way to gain her trust back because ultimately, he still loved her to death. Kagome deserved to know what really happened two years ago. But, how was he to tell her when she wouldn’t even have a civil conversation with him.
“I’ve got to win her back.”
-X-
AN: And that is the end of this chapter. How are you guys feeling about this so far? This chapter was a little hard for me to write because I wasn’t sure it I wanted the apartment meeting and the hospital meeting in the same chapter. However, I couldn’t think of anything to fill in the middle. I think it all flows together nicely though. Anyway, someone asked me to describe the appearance of the Ira. I never really thought about her appearance so much, which is why I never focused on it. All the characters are human in this story. So, there wouldn’t be any specific traits in Ira that would be really distinct. But, I guess you could say that she looks like Kagome with shorter hair, and brown eyes that resemble Inuyasha’s.
I guess that’s pretty much it, please review, favorite and follow if you don’t!
-Kriss