Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Before the Fall ❯ This Ain't the Summer of Love ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
It's not my fault I fell in love,you're the one who tripped me.”~Anonymous~
----------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter Two:
This Ain’t the Summer of Love

Deft hands skittered through the icy waters of the fountain located in the center of the gardens by which the world was called. As Raine’s indigo eyes scouted the vast walls of plant life and greenery she agreed, these gardens were definitely radiant. People conversed lightly as they strolled through the hedges and flora. From businessmen, to servants, to lovers; all classes and age groups filled the gardens. Raine sighed contently, glad to go unnoticed in the swarm and waltzed slowly away from the groups.

She wanted a little peace at the moment. The beautiful landscape spreading before her seem to long to be admired without any interruptions and Raine planned to fill this request. She found a spot a distance away from the chattering of the people and carefully sat down.

The coolness of the ground emanated beneath the dark slacks she wore. She ignored the chill, though, as it seeped into her legs and leaned back on hands to stare at the wide expanse of sky above her. Only her lower arms were visible as the quarter-length sleeves of her plain, ivory sweater concealed the rest. Another sigh escaped her lips before she fell back completely, her attention suddenly centered on another sight. She rested her arms beneath her head as she stared at the objects that had caught her notice.

In the particular area of the gardens where she had come to reside for the moment, trees surrounded her. Their leaves were not the normal colors of jade and emerald one would observe in the summer and spring. No, the leaves were now every shade of taupe, scarlet, and gold in existence. In addition, as if jewels were falling from the heavens, the leaves were drifting down around her in an ageless sight. The cool air around her had always proclaimed that winter was on its way as autumn dwindled to a close, but the gemstone leaves fluttering and playing in the currents of the wind that pulled them from their homes was a reminder that took Raine’s breath away.

She had always considered the shredding of the leaves her favorite time of autumn, though it only served as a sign that winter’s vice grip was descending to kill everything in sight. Soon the days would grow even colder and jackets would replace Raine’s sweaters and the icy touch of the wind would scorched her cheeks raw.

Winter, it was cruel, she thought and always had. It unleashed an icy storm over everything, killing it. It drank the life force of every flower, every tree, and every blade of grass it came in contact with. It was the reaper of death in the eyes of all things plant-like. It wasn’t that she didn’t like the cold. It could be refreshing, but it always managed to kill the flowers, so beautiful and innocent. They did not deserve death. As all these thoughts spun in her head she slowly made out the sounds of footsteps crushing the newly fallen leaves. When she glanced up to observe the person intruding on her quiet she was slightly surprised to find Even walking toward her, face buried in a book.

She waited hoping he would notice her form laid out on the ground, but there was no such luck and just as she was opening her mouth to speak his feet met the obstacle known as her legs and he went tumbling forward. She tried to roll away, but his descent was too fast. All his weight caught her left foot as she turned her body away and his book went tumbling out of his hands as his throat managed a gasp. The book landed on the ground with a crack as the spine broke, hiding the painful hiss that seethed from Raine’s mouth.

There was only a moment of silence and stillness as Even’s gaze rose to glare into her own. His mouth pulled into a slight frown as he discovered who had tripped him. He quickly pulled himself up and crossed his arms.

“What,” he seethed, “are you doing laying on the ground?”

Raine, recovering from the shock and pain of his body crushing her feet and legs glared back at him, “What were doing not watching where you were going?”

It was childish to be arguing with him, she realized, but the way his eyes narrowed at her made her want to laugh, ignoring the throbbing present in her ankle. She bit her lip and chased the laughter away.

“I was reading.” He sniffed simply.

“And I,” Raine pressed, “was watching the trees.”

“Well you should have been paying more attention to the area around you. You’re not the only one in the gardens.”

“True, but shouldn’t you be paying attention too? You and I aren’t the only ones here either.” His mouth kept the frown, she had thrown his words back at him. He sighed in defeat and walked around her to retrieve the book. Other than a broken spine it was still in good condition. In a way it irked him that she had matched him word for word, but at the same it kind of made him want to smile, yet he submerged that urge and turned to walk away.

“You’re right, sorry I tripped over you.” He muttered, not meeting her eyes. He rather disliked being proven wrong and he rarely ever apologized. Raine chuckled silently to herself. He wasn’t used to apologizing, she mused. “You’re right too, you know.” Her admittance made him halt and turn back around. Her mouth formed a small, contrite smile. “I should have been paying more attention too. Sorry I tripped you. And you’re forgiven.”

Even nodded, accepting her apology. He offered a hand to assist her up as she appeared to be doing just that. Raine took his hand and pulled herself up only to hiss and fall forward. Even caught her quickly before she knocked into his chest.

“Did I break your foot?” A small bit of desperation entered his voice as he watched her clutch her ankle as his hands steadied her by gripping her shoulders.

A rueful smirk played across her lips. “No, but I think my ankle’s twisted from where you fell.”

Even’s eyes softened in regret. “Sorry.”

“Nah, don’t worry. It’ll heal, but may I ask you a favor? Will you help me back to the castle? I’ll probably need some ice.”

“And a pressure bandage,” Even added. “Here, put your hand on my shoulder.” She did so, placing a hand on his shoulder. His free hand came around her to latch securely around her waist. Normally she would have blushed at the gesture, but he was only helping so she suppressed the flush that wanted to rise in her cheeks. Slowly, but surely they began the trek back to the castle. It was taken at a unhurried speed, Even showing much patience as he supported her.

When they reached the kitchens of the castle, he lead her to a chair and helped her to sit down. Then without a word he walked away to one of the cherry wood cabinets that spanned the entire length of the room. Opening the door and reaching in, he produced a dishcloth, which he brought back to Raine.

Raine glanced from the cloth to Even’s face in confusion. He ignored it and stared into her eyes as he leaned down and lightly fingered the material around the hem of her slacks where her hurt ankle was. “May I?” She nodded at his question.

Even’s hand gradually rolled up the pant leg so as not to cause her any undue pain. He could tell rather quickly that the area was swollen; he glanced quickly at her face. The hand nearest the limb gently wrapped around the area, causing a gasp of pain to leave Raine’s lip. Even had to stabilize her ankle, so he overlooked her sound and worked to remove the boot she was wearing on that foot with his other hand. He had placed the washcloth on his shoulder. After the shoe had been removed, he then took off her sock. She allowed hisses of discomfort to leak out of her mouth all the while, but it had to be done.

“It’s definitely twisted,” he replied. He then stood up again and brought another chair and set it in front of her. “Don’t move.” He said and Raine sighed, “No, I’m going to move as soon as you leave the room,” she droned sarcastically as he walked toward the door, “I just have the overwhelming urge to fall over.” Even didn’t turn around or reply to her sardonic comment. A small smirk graced his lips, however, while he left the room.

Raine leaned forward and stared down to assess the severity of the swelling. She groaned. She was thankful it wasn’t broken, but it was swollen pretty badly. She estimated she’d be off it for the rest of the day at the maximum. She stuck her bottom lip out and pouted as she glared at the door. ‘He should have been watching where he was going.’ She spat in her head, but the anger would soon wear off and she’d admit she was as much to blame as him.

‘If I hadn’t been so engrossed in watching him read I would have been able to stop him,’ she told herself when her anger ebbed away and she no longer denied her innocence in the incident. She was about to question what was so interesting about him reading, but the kitchen door opened again and her thought process was halted.

The question soon disappeared as Even re-entered the scene, a plain white pillow clutched in his hand. “Wow, you didn’t move.” He teased lightly, noticing her troubled expression. He also noticed her bottom lip was still jutting out. He chuckled, “You look so childish with that pout.”

Raine’s mouth quickly formed into a straight-line and her eyes drooped in annoyance while she turned her head away, “That was the point.” Even, cocked an eyebrow at that statement. It didn’t make any sense to him, but he shrugged it off and placed the pillow on the chair he moved before her.

“Lift your leg and place your ankle on the pillow. It’ll relieve some of the pressure. It won’t throb as much.” Raine did so her head still facing away, it only hurt a little when she placed the swollen appendage on the fluffy cushion. Once that task was done Even leaned down and placed the washcloth which he placed in his lab coat pocket on her ankle. It was warm from where it had rested against hip. Suddenly she jolted; the heat was replaced by cold. The icy sensation surprised her, but it dulled the pain in her ankle. She quickly turned her head back and glanced down to see Even’s hand aglow in a pale blue light as it still rested upon the cloth. ‘Magic.’ Her mind registered.

“Sorry, that was unexpected,” Even said standing up again. “The swelling should recede soon. I’ll go get you a bandage so we can immobilize the injury until it heals.” Raine nodded, “Thanks.” He waved it away as if it were a trifle thing and once again left the room. She watched him go, reveling in the coolness that gripped her injury, erasing the pain until he returned with the tan wrap that would wind around her foot.

Gently, but tightly the bandage coiled around her ankle setting it in place to heal. Even had removed the icy washcloth, quite satisfied with the amount the swelling had decreased.

“There, that should do it. You’d better stay off of it for the rest of the day, though.” Even’s advice, though expected, downhearted Raine. She nodded, though. “Of course.” Her voice was frustrated and Even couldn’t blame her. “You know, you’ve got some serious bad luck. First you get lost and now your ankle’s twisted.” He chuckled, just wanting to rile her up. It might have been a better course to simply comfort her, but Even didn’t care. Instantly she glared up at him, “Really, well you seem to always be around when ‘bad luck’ pays me a visit. You sure you’re not my misfortune, Even?” She bit back. Even shrugged, “Could be. Here,” he held out his hand again, “let’s get you back to your room.”

She grunted at him, “Stop changing the subject.” Even shook his head, “I didn’t change the subject, I was merely finished speaking on it.” Raine didn’t look convinced, but she took his hand and just as before she clutched his shoulder and he held her waist. She directed him to her room.

He guided her to the bed where she laid down herself. He then placed one of her pillows beneath her injured foot. Raine huffed as he turned to leave. “And now I get to spend the next…hours staring at my wall. Lovely! I just love to do that. My favorite past time.” Even as the words left her mouth she wondered at her boldness, she'd only known the man a few days, but she was already joking with him. She just hoped he didn't take her seriously and think her a spoiled brat.

Even shook his head, “I would stay, but I have to return to the lab. Ansem’s to begin his daily lesson soon. I’ll be back later. Why don’t you read while you wait?” He threw the book he had been reading at her. He had set it on the table while he treated her, retrieving it when they had left. She caught it and looked at him, “You done with it?”

“No, but I can’t read it while Master Ansem teaches now can I? At least I have a small reassurance you won’t lose it miraculously while I’m gone.” Raine laughed sarcastically at his back as he left.

Her eyes darted to the cover. The Theory of Doors, the title proclaimed. She opened the first page, caught by the name and began to read. Two hours passed in absolute silence, as she fell deeper and deeper into the book. An abrupt knocking, shifted her focus, however. She raised her head and folded the top edge of the page.

“Come in.” Even entered. “Hello, I see you actually read while I was gone. Tell me your opinions.” His eyes glanced quickly at the book before coming back to her face. He pulled a chair up to the edge of her bed. He folded his hands in his lap and listened intently for her response.

His ivory lab coat and light skin contrasted immensely against the ebony dress shirt he was wearing, but blended nicely with his pale blue tie and casual jeans. His hair was down and it brushed against his cheeks and chin lightly.

Raine sat the book by her side, and her eyes met Even’s. “I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. It actually makes a lot of sense, though, it’s kinda funny imagining that’s why doors close without warnings sometimes. It made me question something.”

“Really? Care to tell me?” She nodded at his request. “Sure, well…‘If all the doors are opened then the universe would be full of holes,’ at least so says the theory. Do you think those things, those black things that attack people might have come from such a door? I mean they don’t seem to belong here…They’re like the creation of children’s nightmares.”

Even’s eyes widened; Raine did not know how correct her assumption was. The heartless in a way, did emerge from a door. He however could not relay praise, he himself should not have known this fact, he knew that. He played his surprise off as amazement. “You know,” he said, acting as if he was pondering the idea, “that’s actually a very solid theory. Perhaps that is the origin of the shadow creatures. Bravo, a well-thought hypothesis.” He clapped his hands. Raine flushed in embarrassment. Even smiled, “You shouldn’t be modest. Admit it was a wondrous idea, no one but yourself deserves credit for it. Soak up the pride and use it for other purposes.” To himself he added, 'Is she really buying all of this?'

“Won’t I get an inflated ego that way?”

“Not if you remind yourself to stay humble, but you hint that you’re assumptions were first-class.” Raine couldn’t help but laugh at that. Even joined in. They didn’t even notice the door opening until Ansem the Wise cleared his throat. The duo quieted and stared at him.

“Raine, I was-” he paused and saw her foot. “My word what happened?”

Raine giggled, “Even fell over me. I hurt my ankle in the process. He helped me back to the castle and my room. He even put ice on the ankle and wrapped it.”

Ansem laughed heartily, but nodded. “Well, forget what I was about to ask you before. I’ll have the servants bring you lunch and dinner.”

“Thank you, your majesty.” Ansem smiled softly at the title and nodded before turning to Even. “Even, I was going to find you after I spoke with Raine. Do you mind?” His eyes switched from Even to Raine. Raine waved them away, “No go ahead, I’ll be fine.” Ansem gestured for Even to follow. “Give me a moment, Master. I’d like to say one more thing to lady Raine.” Ansem nodded and left the room to await him in the hall.
Even glanced at the book, “You can read it for now. I’ll retrieve it after you’re back on your feet again. I hope you enjoy it. If you ever need anything just press the blue button on the speaker here.” Even gestured to an object on the table beside the bed. It did appear to be a speaker.

Raine smiled, “Okay, thanks for the help. Thanks for being so nice to me.” She added the last part a little softer. She was unsure if Even heard it or not. She was content either way.