Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Before the Fall ❯ Don't Fear the Reaper ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"La vita e bella; la vita e amore. -- Life is beautiful; life is love."~From the movie "Life Is Beautiful"~
----------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------

Chapte r Three:
Don’t Fear the Reaper

The last precious leaves were falling, and Raine watched their descent as the bitter air whipped around her. She turned her back on the depressing scene, re-entering the castle. She felt the chill air becoming even more so, and she rubbed her arms vaguely in response, the crimson material of her light long-sleeves chafing the skin beneath them slightly. She cast a final glance at the exiting door before sticking her hands in the pockets of her faded jeans.

Her usual boots made little sound as she leisurely strolled through the hallways, her destination unclear. Ansem was currently educating all the apprentices. A conversation with any of them was out of the question for the moment. She leaned against one of the stone walls and took a deep breath. So what was a bored girl to do?

She had returned The Theory of Doors to Even, after she had finished reading it of course. The discussion that followed its restoration was mainly about Raine’s own theories concerning the book. What she agreed and disagreed with and what questions it brought her. She concluded that Even was an interesting companion, one she could speak her mind to. She had never met anyone who made her feel more at ease. Though she was quite hesitant at first to convey her views, Even would gently push her, or roughly when it came to his enjoyment of insulting her playfully. He only flustered her because, and she was embarrassed to admit such, it calmed her and he knew so. They were becoming quick friends. Once again something unexpected. This suddenly remembered feeling occupied Raine’s mind as she waltzed through the halls, allowing her feet to carry her where they willed. So many unexpected things were happening to her in this castle. What was next?

That question brought back another memory. Almost a week had passed since her parents had left and she had come to the castle. She had often heard her father speak warmly about Ansem, but barely a word was spoken of his apprentices. Only bits and pieces of information regarding the six men left her father’s mouth to reach her knowledge. When she had entered the castle days ago she came with only a vague knowledge of the men. She didn’t know their names nor their specialties, but she knew one fact: they were plucked from all ranges of society and social standings.

One of the apprentices was rumored to have shown up mysteriously about a year ago. The story varied just as it should after being told by mouth so many times, but there were consistencies. In every story he was found outside the protective walls of the glorious kingdom and in the numerous recollections he had been found to have no leading memories that could have accounted for his strange appearance amongst them nor where he had previously resided. He was a man without memories. Raine pitied that fact, but now that she was here immersed in their lives to some extent she wondered if the rumors were true. She would never ask such a question, at least not out right. She pondered on asking them how they each came to be students beneath Ansem and what their lives had been like before then. That would be killing two birds with one stone. She was curious as to what class of wealth they were born into, yet if there was one among the six that had no memory then they could give no answer. Yes, two birds with one stone. Speaking of the information she wished to gather concerning the apprentices, her mind reeled to thoughts of her parents.

‘Wonder what they’re up to now?’ Her mind pressed as her feet continued to move through the winding corridors. She imagined what her family’s estate would look like at the moment; probably not much different from the gardens.

The estate Raine dwelled in spanned twenty-five acres, many of which was crowded by trees and woodland, but that mattered not. It was there that Raine had developed her love of autumn and dislike of winter. The master house was a large two-story mansion, housing numerous guestrooms for weary travelers as well as unexpected and expected guests. It’s whitewash walls were painted annually; such an up keep it took, but Raine had grown up there and honestly couldn’t picture her home any other way. Two smaller houses, still fairly large themselves, completed the package.

The first house, a two story Victorian home the color of a stormy morning belonged to her brother, Alexander and his wife Elizabeth. They currently had one son, Jonathan, a strapping young lad of nine who had his mother's smile and father’s looks. They were absent from the estate at the moment just like her parents. They had left on a trip to visit the lofty mountains shadowing the quaint town, a lovely vacation spot.

The second home belonged to Raine herself. It was one story, painted a stunning shade of green that seemed to highlight the flora surrounding the whole place. She had vowed to move in with her husband when she found him thus the restriction of her house’s size. It was not that she wanted to retreat from her home, she would have moved out years ago were that the case. She considered it the correct way: to move in with her husband after marriage. That’s what her mother did and that was the example she followed. If that plan were ever to change, there would be no problem enlarging the house. Yet, Raine could not predict when her time of engagement would come, so she lived on the estate with her parents.

She enjoyed being at home around her family and her parents had asked her to stay until the man that would wed her made his appearance. She had agreed and before she knew it plans had been laid for her house. She had been living there since her twentieth birthday, and having four years of comfortable living in the place she saw no reason to leave just yet.

The reason her parents had sent her to Ansem the Wise was a chilling reality. Though, living on the estate alone would not have bothered her, she appreciated her parents’ concerns. Almost six months ago, people had begun to miraculously disappear, but the acts had only been brought to light recently. None of the missing had a shred in common other than the fact they were loners and their disappearances would not be discovered quickly. Raine shuddered as she remembered her parents explaining this to her as she packed her things begrudgingly for her stay in King Ansem’s castle. They feared that she would be an easy target for the kidnappers if they were to come across her home and discover that the rest of her family were away on vacations that would extend over many months. If she were to be taken the crime would not be brought to attention for a long while.

Raine understood her parents’ logic and now here she was in the castle. She had expected her stay to be quite a bore, but it was pleasant. She was comforted and thankful of the fact that she was not the only one of her age group in attendance here, though she had to wait for their daily lessons to be done before she could hold long-term conversations with any of them.

The library door closed behind her as she entered the room, which stank with the odor of time and dust, but it wasn’t an annoying fragrance and it went unnoticed as she came to the rows of books. Her mind was suddenly alight with the prospect of so many volumes to devour. The thought she was currently turning over in her mind quickly dissolved. She had been pondering why Xehanort seemed to only tolerate her, she had the feeling he did not particularly like her at all. She shrugged at that observation; not everyone is going to like you. She had accepted this and that is what allowed her to forget it as she scanned the various books, her fingers sliding over their spines in passing.
------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------------------------------

For Even his experience at the moment was the total antithesis to Raine’s.

The pungent scent of formaldehyde wafted around the room, entering his nostrils as well as those of the other six people present. He leaned over the test subject carefully, calculating his incision before placing the scalpel against the skin of the fetal pig they were dissecting as part of Ansem the Wise’s lesson. Speaking of their teacher he was pacing down the row of lab tables where his apprentices had been paired in three groups of two.

Ienzo had been paired with Xehanort, Braig with Aeleus, and Dilan with Even. They followed Ansem’s directions carefully and without interruption at least for a couple of minutes. When they were setting the skin back, giving them better access to the internal organs Braig who had seemed willing to speak from the very beginning did just that.

He let out an exasperated sigh, “Man, why are doing this? It’s so high school.”

Ansem, now standing at the front, observing peacefully while they carried on their dissection, smiled in amusement. He was very soft at heart, though he knew when strictness and kindness were needed.

“I thought you all needed a review on the proper dissection techniques as well as a refreshment in basic anatomy.”

Braig appeared to understand, but something else seemed to concern him. It was promptly made evident as he once again spoke, watching Aeleus remove its digestive tract. He frowned.

“Poor little guy.”

Both Xehanort and Ienzo, who were situated behind him rolled their eyes.

“Geez,” Ienzo sighed, “it’s only a pig. It’s not like it experienced life before it died.”

Braig turned to him the grimace still on his face, “Exactly. It never had life. Wasn’t even given a choice. What if the thing wanted to live?”

Xehanort rolled his eyes again and grunted in disgust. “Braig, these animals can’t think on that level. They’re just that: animals, a lower intelligence than us. Man has learned much of what he knows now about the human body because of prodding around within deceased animals. Thanks to that we have spectacular health care. Doesn’t the end justify the acts in this case?”

Braig dejectedly nodded, “Yeah, s’pose so.” He turned back to his specimen. Aeleus clapped him on the back.

“Don’t worry, buddy. We get where you’re coming from.”

They did. Were they not basically doing such things to human specimens? They met after curfew hours to pursue their forbidden experiments in the basement lab. And the argument that Xehanort had just used he had used on many occasions when the apprentices questioned their motives in doing the tests they did. They knew it was morally wrong. Some, especially Braig had lost sleep and his appetite in the beginning as a result of the guilt that had plague him. Xehanort was quick to soothe these concerns, though. His level, reassuring voice often won them over. He was a magician with words, a trait he and Ienzo shared. It was hard to tell whether he was genuine in his motives or his words were only manipulations. The five apprentices held him to be truthful, though. That or no one felt obligated to confront him. He had never given them reason to doubt him and besides, who wanted to believe their fellow man immoral?

After Braig’s outburst of sentiment there was barely a peep from anyone except in regards to what they were to do next. Even and Dilan often traded the tasks of dissecting and note-taking neither one particular to what they did. Aeleus was the dissector in his group as was Xehanort, although Ienzo often took the initiative to poke at an organ with a prodding rod.

“Was there any other purpose to this than simply to review?” Even asked this of Ansem the Wise as he and Dilan cleaned their lab area at the conclusion of the day’s lesson which only encompassed the analysis of the fetal pig.

“Well,” Ansem began, “actually yes, there was another purpose.”

Ienzo was instantly up, circling the unfortunate teacher a glint in his eyes. The group, excluding Xehanort who only smiled, laughed at their youngest’s antics.

He backed Ansem, who himself was chuckling, against a wall before asking in excitement, “What else are we going to do?”

“Calm down, Ienzo. I was going to explain, no need to attack me like a rabid dog,” he said, ruffling the boy’s hair, “I considered you would benefit from the analysis of many different creatures from the pig you dissected today to perhaps something with a more complicated anatomical structure.”

“Like what, Master Ansem?” This request came from Dilan who had caught Ienzo’s contagious curiosity. Aeleus was quick to agree, “Yes, please tell us.”

Ansem shook his head, “No, I think not.” He smirked. “That’ll just have to be a surprise.”

A collective disappointed sigh was released from the trio and Braig. Even just smiled and Xehanort had taken to reading after the tables, equipment, and himself were cleaned up. Even had promptly decided to take a quick shower before continuing on with his day. He removed his lab coat and placed it in the pile the others had made so they could be washed. Ansem had supplied extra so time wouldn’t be wasted between experiments. He left the lab and minutes later entered the confines of his room.

Even’s room was slightly larger than Raine’s as his was of more permanent accommodations. His walls were pristine blue, the purest color of the sky. His furniture was made out of rosewood, a similarity the room shared with Raine’s. Yet unlike Raine’s Even had a king-sized bed. He often found himself wondering why he deserved such a large bed. He was only one man after all.

The bed’s comforter was a dark jade with pillows that matched the hues of the wall. He too possessed a balcony that overlooked a separate part of the gardens as well as a desk and chairs. His desk however was placed against the North wall right beside the balcony doors and his chairs were beside his bed. His furniture held fabrics of various colors that all drew attention to certain aspects of his room. His wall was scarcely decorated as he was a very simple person.

Even immediately turned to his left and began to rummage through the top drawer of his dresser. He then retrieved a pair of dark jeans from his closet as well as a casual, slate colored, button-up shirt. He then entered his personal bathroom.

All the bathrooms were set in the same manner, only they were each painted differently. Even’s was a light beige. The tub, toilet, and sink were ivory with silver faucets and pipes.

Even was quick to turn on the water in the bathtub and pull the curtains around the object before turning on the showerhead. After he had adjusted it to his liking he disrobed and entered beneath the water. It was steaming and worked to remove the knots that formed in his neck from stress. He closed his eyes and scrubbed his fingers through his hair, adding shampoo. He scrunched up his nose, remembering his dislike of dissection. The stench of the preserving fluids sank into clothes and skin, which was the very reason he was showering. He could stand the smell itself, but he despised the odor of formaldehyde sticking to him. It was an odor that promptly destroyed one’s appetite.

He towel dried his hair swiftly as he exited the bathroom sometime later his, clothes on. Sweeping the damp locks behind his ears he left the room and proceeded down the hallway. Glancing quickly to his left at the first window he came to he realized evening was quickly settling in. Dinner would soon be served, but he had at least thirty minutes before that. He resigned himself to read until the bell was sounded for dinner. Reading always seemed to whet his appetite. With his decision set in stone Even’s quick footfalls bounced off the walls and he guided himself through the halls to the entrance door of the library.

The door shut softly behind him and as his eyes rose they fell with surprise on the figure of Raine. She was leaning against the wide windows that framed the wall beneath the stairs. He froze in his position and watched her.

He observed her body was rigid in some troubling emotion and her arms were crossed stiffly in front of her. He dared step closer, softly so she would not notice his approach. As he did this a thought presented itself to him. This thought confused him. Why did he care if she was keen to his presence? What would it matter? Why was he being so cautious when it was clear he’d have to make a substantial amount of noise to be noticed? Why did he enjoy observing her as he did? This was not to be last time this questions posed themselves. He was sure about that, but he pushed them from his mind as it focused on something more leading than the puzzling questions: Raine.

Her indigo eyes were hard in anger and her lips were stretched tight in an unsatisfied grimace that also leaked of despair. Even knew he could step no further without her noticing, no matter how deep her concentration was. Yet, he was intrigued; he wished to know what had upset her so. Another question darted into his mind, but he pushed it aside, his concentration centering on her.

“Raine.” He watched as she jumped, surprised by his voice suddenly penetrating the silence that had blanketed the room. She turned and stared at him. He smiled. “What no glare?”

Raine flushed, she had been caught brooding over her dislike of winter. She was too embarrassed at being caught at that to glare at the man. Something else had swayed her from the action as well, but she wished to push the thought from her mind. She shook her head, her eyes finding refuge in the carpet.

“You frightened me. I was too surprised to glare at you.” Her voice had found its normal tone, but she still refused to glance upward. Even cocked an eyebrow at her strange behavior, but moved to stand beside her. Granted she'd only been at the castle shortly, she had never seemed to act like this before. He would ask her about it, but for the time being he let it slide. His eyes left her blushing form to gaze out the window.

All he was met with was the sight of bare limbed trees. He glanced at Raine again. “You seemed upset.” It was a statement. Raine turned back to the window following Even’s gaze. She still wouldn’t turn to look at him. She only nodded, “Yeah, so?” Her mutter made his expression change from puzzlement to amusement. Apparently she did not want to share, all the better for him.

“What’s wrong?” “Nothing.” Even turned and leaned against the underside of the stairs. He crossed his arms and gave her a mocking look. “Really? Didn’t seem like nothing. C’mon, you can tell me.” Raine shook her head. Her eyes were glued to the bare trees. “You’ll laugh.” “Well, I am due for an amusing comment, and you seem to provide them often enough, so what’s the harm? I won’t tell anyone else. I have nothing to gain from this.” He was thoroughly enthralled in pure curiosity as to what could upset her, besides she did often give him a laugh.

He didn’t allow the statement that unexpectedly worded itself within his skull to seep into his smile. ‘You’ve known this girl only about a week. You enjoy prodding fun at her. She is a stranger and yet she intrigues you more than any experiment. Is it just the fact that she’s a newcomer and you thirst for knowledge about her or are there other motives?’ He wanted to frown because of course it was the fact that she was new and he had never made her acquaintance before. What was his mind trying to do?

Raine had been pondering the outcomes of her confessions. “You promise you won't laugh?” She questioned, bringing Even from his thoughts. Inwardly he thanked and swore at her. He wanted to know what was going on within him, but at the same it was a subject that scared him. “Sure.” He answered.

Raine sighed, “I was cursing Winter.”

Even’s eyes widened and he began to snicker. Now that was unexpected. “See, you’re laughing.” She frowned, but Even shook his head. “You were cursing Winter? Why?”

“It represents death to me. All the plant-life that I come to enjoy over the seasons dies with the onslaught of Winter. It’s a menace. It's cold and bleak as well. What good comes from it? You get sick easier, you can't go outside as often, you-”

“Do the plants not come back in Spring?” Even posed, making a rebuttal for her first reason. Raine turned her head and finally stared into his turquoise eyes. She nodded, unwillingly. “Yes.” Even smiled. “Then view Winter not as a time of death, but as a time of sleep. Those flowers shine in glory and beauty for months at a time. I would tire of the task eventually, so do they. They retreat back into the ground and slumber like a bear during the winter, gathering their lost strength. They return after only a short slumber of a few months. Now, for your second point, why do you view it as bleak? That is clearly only a matter of perception. For instance can you tell me you are disheartened when the first snow comes? A lovely covering of white to offset the earthy browns of the trees."

“Your favorite season is Winter, isn’t it, Even?” Raine asked. “Naturally.” He smirked, earning a small smile from her. “Yours?” Raine turned back to the window, “Autumn.” Her eyes glazed over, “Everything blooms with light and color. Winter is bland, even with snow. No offense.”

Even’s grin turned determined. He stepped closer to her. “Winter is not bland, you just are so bias towards it that you miss its beauty. It has simplicity, a plain beauty, but ever so magical as well. I suppose I’ll just have to show you it.” He leaned in closer to her head, his nose being slightly tickled by her hair.

Raine’s heartbeat began to hammer in her chest. Her eyes glanced into his as he leaned forward a little more before whispering haughtily in her ear, “I accept the challenge.” Just then the dinner bell rang. Even pulled back and left. Raine stood frozen for a moment, confused and unsure. What had just happened? Nothing, that’s what. But if it was nothing then why did it feel like something else entirely? She willed her feet to move and left the room as well.
------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------------------------------

The moonlight filtered through the windows later that night as Raine laid on her side in bed. She mulled over her and Even’s encounter carefully. What had else had prevented a glare at Even? She felt her cheeks burn. When she had met his gaze momentarily as she turned to face him. She had taken in this damp hair and clothes. He was…attractive. Her heart began to palpitate flutteringly. She scolded herself for such a lustful thought. Suddenly finding him attractive, though, she admitted he had never been ugly, but he wasn’t just handsome because of his looks there was something he had, some trait that set him apart.

Raine closed her eyes and took deep breaths, trying to slow her heart. His last action made her shudder. How could something so small as him speaking in her ear cause such a reaction. Was she losing it? She stared at the blackness behind her lids, attempting to make sense of what was happening to her. Soon her head began to throb and she was whisked off to sleep, none the closer to an answer. In truth she felt she was further from finding one than when she had begun to ponder.
------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------------------------------

Never had Even been more scared and excited in his life. Had his flirting been too sloppy, would he pay for his boldness later? He sat in bed, reading but his mind was anywhere but the book. His mind had winded itself into images of Raine. She was such a mystery, but yet an open book. Even hungered to know more about her, but he knew it wasn’t only to satisfy the simple facts one would like to discover about a friend. He placed the book on the table beside the bed and pulled blankets around his figure, switching off the table lamp as he laid down on the bed.

He was going to enjoy making her love Winter; he had never viewed a challenge with more anticipation. Why? What was different about her? Was it her smile, her attitude, her swiftness at taking him by surprise as often as she did? He wasn’t sure what was happening, but he had never feared and relished in the feelings his heart emitted at the same time. Did he know and was just denying it? His eyes widened. No, it was just a small fancy, a crush at best -who said you had to grow out of them once you left high school…It couldn’t happen that quickly could it? No, but something stirred his heart about her. It was still small, but it needed more interaction before the emotion was proven sure or quickly fleeting. It could turn out to be nothing but loneliness and lust, he was a man after all, he could give himself the benefit of the doubt.