Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Sleeping on Sasuke ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Five Years Later OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Beep! Beep! Beep! Bee-WHAM!! Naruto shot upright in his bed, hand still on the alarm clock he just silenced. 5:25 am. The sun had a good hour and a half before it greeted the world, but Naruto had no time to spare. He quickly jumped out of bed and went into a frenzy. Throwing off his pajamas and placing his nightcap carefully on his pillow, he dashed into the shower. Freezing cold water shocked goose bumps onto his skin, but he had no time to wait for the warm water to make its way up the pipe to the third floor. Quickly running a bar of soap over his skin and lathering it in his hair, he was finished and drying off in record time. With clothes, shoes, pouch, and forehead protector all strapped on and in place with similar speed, Naruto glanced one last time at the clock as he darted out into the hall. “Click.” The door was locked and he was on his way. 5:30 am. Perfect.

Beebeebeep! Beebeebeep! Beebeebeep! Beebe- Sasuke rolled over and sat up slowly. Rubbing the sand out of his eyes he yawned and let it take him into a full body stretch. It was pitch black outside the window, not even the first lightening of predawn. Sasuke glared at his clock. 5:30 am. It was so god-awful early. He walked to the bathroom and turned on the water in the shower. Back into the bedroom, he made the bed and went through the dresser. Clothes in hand, it was back to the bathroom where the shower where already filling the room with steam. He stripped off his nightclothes and stepped into the scalding water, letting the heat relax the tension in his shoulders. After the shampoo, conditioner, body scrub, body lotion and face cream, Sasuke stepped out of the shower feeling renewed and refreshed. After a quick breakfast of cereal and banana slices, he was out the door. 5:50 am.

Sasuke walked towards Team 7’s designated meeting place. The sun still wasn’t showing its face and some lights were starting to appear in the houses of early risers. Sasuke lived fairly close to Team 7’s bridge and it was only about ten minutes later when he could see it. It was very dark on the bridge. The lamps must have burnt out, Sasuke figured. As he approached, Sasuke could see several shapes moving away over the far side of the bridge. He squinted. He could make out three…maybe four of the mystery shapes and then they were gone. A dozed more steps and Sasuke was on the bridge when he noticed a figure slumped up against the railing. The night seemed to suck up all the color out of the world, but he was fairly certain it was an orange lump sitting there. Too late again. How early does he get here? Sasuke thought. He sure as hell never used to be this early. Just then, Naruto looked up, flashing his trademark grin.
“Sasuke! You lose again! Heh! You need your beauty rest huh?” Sasuke glared as he sat down next to his teammate.
“Che. Idiot” he replied tiredly. “It doesn‘t count is you spend the night here.” Did Naruto never stop? Here it was, bloody early in the morning and–sure enough, Naruto jumped up and struck a heroic pose.
“I didn’t cheat! You just can’t accept defeat!” The blonde accused, as he pointed a finger at his dark haired teammate.
“Why do we do this again anyways?” Sasuke asked. “Kakashi doesn’t get here for hours.”
“Hokage’s are always punctual!” he shouted. “And I, Uzamaki Naruto will be the greatest-”
“Knock it off,” Sasuke said, cutting Naruto short. Even after all this time, it was still the same thing over and over again. Trading insults and hokage banter. Sasuke wasn’t fooled however. The talk of hokage recently has been popping up whenever Naruto feels like changing the subject. Not that he really cared or anything, but ever since he had returned from that debacle of an attempt to join Orochimaru, Sasuke has felt more at peace than since he had before his family was murdered. When he impaled his best friend in the pursuit of power, he realized just how alike he was becoming to his brother. As Naruto fell into his attack, Sasuke thought the blonde was defeated, and it broke something inside him. The anger and vengeance burning in his heart was snuffed out in an instant. He had never felt as alone as his did in that moment. This person, who had risked so much to bring him back, who had always been a light shining in the darkness of Sasuke’s soul, was gone. But then the unimaginable happened. Naruto lifted his head, he wasn’t dead after all! Devoid of the dark ambition that had been driving him a large portion of his life, Sasuke looked into the eyes of his best friend and made a vow to himself. No longer would death dictate his actions. This boy in front of him was his equal without that black motivation. If Naruto was this strong on his own, Sasuke too would excel on his own terms. After that, Sasuke remembers nothing. According to Kakashi, Naruto whispered something to him before tearing out the cursed seal, but Sasuke has no memory of what he said, and Naruto was never very forthcoming. Instead, the blonde constantly changes the. After five years of Naruto dodging the topic, Sasuke has become very impatient with him. Sasuke looks annoyed.
“Just sit down, will you? You’re wasting too much energy for so early in the day.”
“I have plenty of energy. You don’t have to worry about me!” Naruto exclaims even as he sits back down beside Sasuke. The dark-haired member of the team grins.
“Regardless of punctuality, a Hokage should always look presentable. You look like you slept in those clothes, all rumpled like that and- ‘sniff’ –you really should takes showers in the morning.” Sasuke suggested in the most annoying way he knew possible. Deadpan. A range of emotions flashed trough Naruto’s eyes in a heartbeat before he seemed to settle on anger. Sasuke didn’t miss the hesitation.
“What do you know!? I take plenty of showers, so leave off!” It was true. Sasuke could see Naruto’s hair was still damp at the back, but he was only trying to irritate Naruto after all. But what was that pause about, before he started yelling. That was another thing on Sasuke’s ‘WTF is up with Naruto’ list. Hesitations like that, along with avoiding the issues, were increasing in number and Sasuke didn’t like it. It seemed somehow…contrived when Naruto would pause before getting upset. As if he was acting in a play, he knew his lines by heart, but they would never be delivered as naturally as had it been real life. Currently Naruto was sitting with his arms crossed and a stubborn tilt to his head. Classic Naruto pout. So…fake.
“Quit pouting, dead-last,” Sasuke taunted. “You’re not two years old.”
“Just shut up, bastard! I am not pout-aahhhh,” a giant yawn interrupted Naruto this time. He looked over at Sasuke sheepishly. “It is a bit early isn’t it?”
“Hn.”
“Well, maybe I’ll just rest for a minute. Kakashi-sensei won’t be here for like forever anyway,” Naruto mumbled. And with that, he dropped his head down and closed his eyes. Sasuke looked at him incredulously. Hadn’t he just been jumping around and hollering like a manic? And how could he possibly fall asleep in such an uncomfortable position like that. But sure enough, Naruto’s breathing evened out and within a few moments he was snoring softly. Usually their bickering could last for as long as it takes for Kakashi to show up. Naruto never just fell asleep, it was too much like giving up on their stupid ‘who can be here first’ battle.

Now that he wasn’t in constant motion, Sasuke could take a closer look at his teammate. It wasn’t often that Sasuke got the chance to really inspect the blonde, as he was always feigning indifference. And a chance to observe Naruto without that ridiculous grin plastered on his face was rare indeed. His hair had grown slightly longer than it used to be, falling over his hitai-ate in places. He finally stopped wearing that ridiculous orange track suit when they passed the chuunin exams three years back. However, Sasuke knew there was still an orange tank underneath that regulation vest. Other than that, Naruto pretty much dressed in the uniform they were given on completing the chuunin requirements, the same as Sasuke himself. In the past five years, not much else had changed. He was still one of the shortest chuunin in the village, a full six inches shorter than Sasuke, and he still had a childishly round face where as Sasuke had lost all is ‘baby fat’. One change that Sasuke thought was odd was that Naruto looked like he spent all his free time tanning. Much like Iruka, Naruto was dark skinned and had a mysterious lack of tan lines for someone who spent most his time in long sleeves and pants.
Suddenly, Naruto scrunched his face up as if in pain and tossed his head back and forth. He cried out wordlessly and curled up into a ball shaking. And as quickly as it started, Naruto’s dream ended and he fell back into a calm state, leaning over onto Sasuke’s side. Sasuke pushed his hair aside so he could get a better look at his teammate, and saw that Naruto must have bitten his tongue in his sleep as blood was making a line from the corner of his mouth. The dark haired boy was surprised however when he saw a tear make its way down Naruto’s cheek. He watched, fascinated as the drop made its way past all three scars and mingled with the trail of blood by his mouth. Naruto didn’t cry. It just didn’t happen. Maybe when they were younger, when he was fooling around, but never seriously, and not in his sleep. However, Sasuke admitted to himself that it had been a long while since he’d actually seen Naruto sleep, and he’d certainly never seen him dream like that. What was that dream about anyway? When he wakes up, he’s going to explain this, Sasuke thought. No excuses.