Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ The Armor Conflict ❯ Tech ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
“This is Special Operative Alfan Mach, I am requesting landing in any of the Allied Carriers. My Craft is severely damaged, and I have important intelligence on the Varen forces.”

“Operative Mach, this is Carrier I7-F5 Zennion. You are to land in Hanger Bay 24. What is the current status of the last Evacuees?” The Carrier Zennion was situated at the center of a Fleet of over Two Hundred Thousand ships. It was easily the largest ship in both the Varen and Galshen Territory. Unfortunately, nearly a quarter of these were un-armed civilian Super Transports. They housed one third of the Galshen Civilians.

Before landing, Mach Delivered the first of his news. “The Entire Fleet was wiped out. The Varen Super-Fleet wiped them all out. Every last one.” When Mach landed, no one was there to meet him, nor was there anyone to move his fighter out of the way of the launching catapults. The Hanger was almost devoid of life. The few people he did see, seemed to be in complete shock. He made his way to the Main Bridge as soon as he could. “Admiral, I am ready to deliver my report.”

“Damn it, Mach, you’ll destroy this fleet before the Varen even arrive.” Admiral Ralen rubbed his head as if he had a horrible migraine. He then pointed to a door at the rear of the Bridge. “Mach, you can deliver your Report, WITHOUT letting the entire ship knowing about it, inside the Conference Room.” When both Admiral Ralen, and Mach were in the Conference Room, Admiral Ralen activated the Privacy System. “Deliver the Report”

“Sir, The Varen Super-Fleet attacked Galshe exactly four days ago. The Galshen civilians managed to make orbit roughly 2 hours prior to the attack. The Varen forces went after the Civilian ships first. They weren’t happy with bombarding the Evacuation ships either. They boarded them. The screams…. The boarding parties took hours with some of the victims. Our fleet put up a brave fight, but the odds were to great.” Mach paused for a moment. “The entire time the battle raged, the Com. Channels were locked to one frequency, coming out of our Evacuation ships. I took command of the fleet remnants after most of the fleet was decimated, and retreated, away from the evacuation route. The Super-Fleet followed us in their entirety. They thought we were heading to you.” Mach paused again. “I…. left them after a few hours. As far as I know, the Varen forces are still chasing them, but that will only last so long. They will realize were we are. They will catch us. They will kill all that they find. We must buy the Evacuees as much time as we can.” Mach concluded his report.

Admiral Ralen could think of nothing to say. Not for several minutes. Then “We must take a stand. We will slow them down. We need to buy the Evacuees as much time as possible.” Admiral Ralen shut down the Privacy System and re-entered the bridge. “Send a Message to all ships with combat abilities. They are to transfer all non-combat personnel to the Civilian ships. We are going to stop the Varen forces here.”

The Mobilization orders had immediate affects. Nearly One hundred and Fifty ships stopped in space. Weapons were un-covered, and Attack Craft were prepped. Mach prepped his Personal Fighter-Bomber, repaired by the Zennion hanger crew. The Evacuation ships continued to the Phase-Out point alone. They were going to jump to another galaxy through a wormhole, collapsing it when they pass through.

The Varen forces arrived much sooner then expected. It would take the Evacuees one day to make the jump. The Varen showed up after only seven hours. Unless they were delayed almost as many hours, the Varen would wipe out the last Galshen in the Galaxy. It was up to 150,000 ships to delay nearly one million ships. No one doubted what the outcome would be.

The Galshen Fleet arrayed itself in its characteristic cone shape formation, its most powerful ships at the point, and carriers in the center. They dived into the Varen Super-Fleet with the kind of suicidal charge only people who have nothing to lose can perform. Fighter craft filled the gaps between ships. Before long, the space around the Galshen Warships were filled with the wreckage of both sides Fighters. The vast majority of the Varen ships were staying out of battle. They weren’t necessary, and they knew it. Fortunately, they did not know that this battle was a delaying tactic. Large volleys of weapons fire cut through the fighter clouds around the ships, destroying countless craft. The Zennion, being the size of a large moon, was trading fire with dozens of Varen warships, and still maintaining an advantage. The same could not be said of the rest of the Galshen forces. Before long, the Galshen pilots were thinned to only their Ace pilots. Mach, and his personal Fighter-Bomber had personally scuttled at least a dozen Varen ships in the first battle.

On the bridge of the Zennion, Admiral Ralen had to suffer the reports of lost ships one after another. Increasingly rare was the good news of a downed enemy ships. “Find a path to get us out of here. We need to draw these forces as far away as possible.” Admiral Ralen looked at a star map, ignoring the minor vibrations of weapons impacts. He points at a point on the map. “There, there’s an unaligned planet there. Take us through the Particle Field.” He ignored the stares from the bridge crew. The Particle Field was a failed star system. It consisted of asteroids ranging in size from half a millimeter to five centimeters. Although small, these asteroids traveled at nearly half the speed of light. Without a specific shielding, these micro-asteroids would take apart a ship in moments. The Varen ships lacked this shielding. “The Varen forces will believe we are retreating to a new home world. They will follow us there. We can fight them there, and take them away from the civilians.” Very quickly all Galshen ships moved to retreat, away from the Evacuees path.

“Admiral Ralen, Can I ask where we are going?” Mach asks before docking for re-supply and repair.

“We are heading to the unaligned planet QX-46. We are passing through the Particle Field in 30 minutes. I suggest you prepare the Salet shields of your craft.” Admiral Ralen responds. “And can I ask why you want to know?”

“Yes, planet QX-43 has the rest of my Special Operative team there. If we can make a slight deviation, we can pick them up. It is only… 2 degrees off course.”

“A full Special Operative team? I will dispatch two high speed cruisers ahead to pick them up.”

“Thank you Sir”

Shortly after, the remnants of the Galshen enter the Particle Field, where they stop to fight, hoping the sheer numbers of the enemy don’t overwhelm the power of the Field. They didn’t. At least not all at once. The first wave of fighters made it only 2 kilometers into the 2 light-year field. No wave of only fighters could make it at all. It took almost 75 waves of several thousand fighters to convince the Varen Fleet to come in themselves. And come they did. They poured into the field like a flood. Hundreds, then thousands, all choking space with slowly disintegrating wrecks. The micro-asteroids showed no mercy. But the ships got ever closer, as the dead ships absorbed the energy of the field. No matter how many died, more came, and the Galshen fleet pulled back further and further, until they were at the edge of the Field. Then they turned and fought. Mach’s Special Operative team was as much a bane to the Varen as the Zennion. But they were not enough. They lasted until the last hour, but they couldn’t last much longer. The Varen had stopped loosing ships to the field an hour ago, and they no longer wanted to kill the Galshen for almost a half hour. They were capturing ships, just like they did at Galshe. Then the Zennion received odd sensor anomalies. Gravity fluctuations were spreading throughout the galaxy, coming from the Evacuation Wormhole. The Evacuees had made it ahead of schedule.

“Admiral Ralen, we need to get into the gravity shadow of QX-46. The Wormhole collapse might send out a catastrophic gravimetric shockwave. Our best estimates show hat we might survive if we put a planet between us and the fleet.” Mach followed this with a log of all the research of the Special Operations department.

“But if we do that the Varens would make short work of us.”

“It’s a tough choice, I know, but the Varen Fleet will butcher us if we fight, and we will be destroyed if we don’t hide. Our ONLY chance is to hide, and hope we can hold out.”

“Fine, we hide.” Admiral Ralen ordered the fleet into position just in time. The gravimetric shockwave decimated the Varen forces minutes after the Zennion took position. However, the planet didn’t help as much as expected. While the shockwave was quieted just behind the planet, a unique form of radiation surged from the planet. It burned itself out in moments, passing through the Galshen fleet, but not until after it killed almost all of the survivors. The survivors were the people at the deepest part of the now critically damaged Zennion, and the small ships at the furthest reach of the Fleet. Mach and his team were among the survivors.

“All survivors, Report, now. Survivors, NOW.” Mach was getting desperate. He continued to search out survivors, for hours, until something struck his fighter. “AI, what was that?”

“Unknown.” A pause “the sensors are detecting a crystalline object, burrowing itself through the fighter, towards the cockpit.” Another pause. “Something is hijacking… my… syste……” static

“AI, AI? AI?” Mach smashes one of his consoles. “Now what.”

Suddenly his AI came alive again. “Hello Mach.”

“Um, Hello?”

“Mach, you are dying. You were not spared the radiation poisoning. Most of your fellows are dead. And yet you are still more interested in saving as many as you still can. Why?”

“Why? Why? Why else. I failed to save our PLANET. Why wouldn’t I want to save who I can? And who are you?”

“Why I am both your means of survival and that of the survivors. You cant survive without me. That is why I am approaching you know. I can save you. And everyone else. But you will have to sacrifice your humanity. You will have to become something else.”

“… Fine. But you still haven’t answered my question. Who are you?”

The odd crystal just started to enter the cockpit. “Me? Why I am the first. I am Tech.”





A/N: so, what do you think so far, I know its only the first chapter, but I will be working on this, hopefully once a week, maybe once every other week. But as this is my first Fic, any criticism is welcome, however, I request no outright Flame attacks. Help me get better and you’ll enjoy this more.