Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Sano Diaries ❯ Chapter 9

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 09

Sanosuke lunges with renewed energy but is blocked. He sees an opening and takes it. Sano uses the last of his energy to utilize his Futae no Kiwami to finish Akiyama off, and just in time. Time seems to stand still as Akiyama falls to the ground in slow motion. Out of his right hand a small dagger drops to the floor. Sano has just enough time to think [Wow, Akiyama must have been hiding that somewhere on his body.] before his world went black and he collapsed.

Kenshin hears Sano's limp body hit the floor and is momentarily distracted. Just then Kenshin gets hit with one of the guards' katanas. Kenshin hurries to finish off the last of the guards and goes to assist Sano. However, Kenshin, having a deep cut in his own chest, is at the brink of physical exhaustion himself. Kenshin, using most of his remaining strength, helps Sano to his feet and the two hurt men slowly try to make their way out of the underground base. Halfway through the lair Kenshin sees two figures coming toward them and his body stiffens. Then he hears their voices…

Kaoru: Kenshin…

Sakura: Sanosuke…

Each man falls into the arms of the respective woman. They get scolded by the girls as they are led out of the base.

Sanosuke: Hey Kenshin, getting scolded never sounded so good huh?

Kenshin: (smiling) Oro…

When they finally made it outside Yahiko was asleep on the grass. Kaoru hits him in the head to wake him up.

Yahiko: (still drowsy) Hey…what's the big idea?

Kaoru: You were supposed to be our look out! What if someone came?!

Yahiko: Relax…(falls back asleep)

Kaoru is being restrained by Sakura from doing any further damage to the little boy.

Sakura: Come on, we have more important matters to attend to.

The girls treat Kenshin and Sano's wounds and the group decides to take the next train back to Tokyo. When they get on the train Sakura sits by the window and Sanosuke sits next to her. Sakura rests her head on Sano's good shoulder and he places his head on top of hers. They both drift off to sleep almost immediately. Yahiko, who has been asleep the entire time is sprawled out on one of the empty seats, still snoring loudly. Kaoru and Kenshin take two other empty seats for themselves.

Kaoru: Wow, everyone is already asleep…

Kenshin: (looking at her with his incredible eyes) Don't worry Kaoru-dono, I will stay up with you. (then he smiled)

Kaoru's heart swelled up. She was so happy to have her Kenshin back. They made conversation and had some laughs. And as they were sitting there talking their eyes met…Kenshin's eyes enraptured her. Kaoru couldn't look away even if she wanted to. Kenshin was suddenly speechless. His heart pounded in his chest. Kaoru had never looked so beautiful. He leaned in…

But just as the inevitable was going to happen, Yahiko's big face was in theirs.

Yahiko: What'ca doin'?

Kaoru punches Yahiko, then sits back with her arms crossed over her chest. Kaoru's face was ablaze and Kenshin was back to his goofy self.

Kenshin: Oro…oro?

When they got back to the dojo everyone was still exhausted and they all slept until the middle of the next day.