Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Silver Cross ❯ False Alarm ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N - Sorry about not updating for a while guys.Long week. But now because of the hurricane, my afternoon classes were canceled on Thursday, September 18th, and I have none today! So I have a three and a half day weekend! But that has nothing to do with Silver Cross. So let me stop droning on. Sorry this chapter's a bit shorter, but there's a big scene coming up that I didn't want to break up. Enjoy! Oh wait, before you enjoy, here's the list of wonderful reviewers. Sorry, I'm too tired to make comments this time.

The Girl Who Cried Oro, JML, Haruko1, kouri, Cali, Hitokiri-miao miao, Migo, Hiromi, bitchy brunette, Saiya Winters, A fan *grin*, Ramen, aglaia102, Luli451, HiEi FoR sALe, hOoTs, Hiei7, zeus the moose, KeNsHiN FoR sALe, notta jabronie

Disclaimer - I don't own Rurouni Kenshin, or even just Kenshin. Or even just Sanosuke.

Silver Cross

Chapter 4 - False Alarm

How old are you in human years, Ken?

Twenty-three.

That's good. Some new law here says you can't drink until you're twenty-one.

How old are you?

Twenty-four dude. I refuse to count how many years I've been a vampire. That's just too depressing.

Why?

Because if I was still human I'd be an old man. There's no way I'd be having as much fun with the ladies.

I see why Megumi didn't marry you before you were turned.

Hey!

"Wake up."

Kaoru blinked and looked around, confused. To Ken, her expression was as if she was being born into the world again. She looked at him, yawned, and sat up. "Why are we still in the city?"

"You slept for three hours. We're back. The plane tickets are in your purse. I want you to keep them for me. I've got a contact I want to talk to. I want you to stay awake so no one breaks in to the car. I'll be back in a half and hour. If I'm not," he handed her the key to the car. "You can find your way away from here. You can drive a stick, right?"

Kaoru nodded. "You are coming back, right? You're not ditching me?"

"I'm not. Get out of the back and at least sit in the passenger seat."

He opened the passenger side door and waited for her to climb out. He locked the back door behind her and shut it. "Remember to lock the door and don't even roll down the window for anyone."

"I'm not five years old, Ken."

"I know. Get in so I can see that it's locked before I leave."

Instead of obeying him, Kaoru hugged him. "You better come back because I'm not leaving here without you."

He hugged her briefly, then pulled her away. "Understood. Now get in the car."

Kaoru smiled and did as he asked. She waved and, satisfied, he turned away and into the night.

I found the greatest chick for you. She said she'd meet up with us tomorrow.

No. Why are you constantly trying to fix me up with someone?

It's good for you.

I never try to hook you up with a girl.

That's because you know there will never be anyone for me but Megumi. But you're not a lost cause.

Oh yes I am.

Come on. Your contacts all love you. I know you could make some lucky vampire girl happy.

No way. I'm not going tomorrow. Tell her I had to hunt or something.

You're no fun. Was there a girl in your past?

No.

Maybe she's not born yet then and that's why you're a vampire.

Shut up before you get any softer on me.

After fifteen minutes of looking among the homeless that had made this alley their home, he finally spotted the vampire he was looking for. An old man with a long blond beard gone gray wearing countless layers of clothing and grime stood alone against the wall in the darkest corner of the alley.

"Why do you do this to yourself, Cho?" Ken asked in a disgusted voice.

The tall man chuckled. "Hey, what's twenty years of living in the streets when you've got the rest of eternity to work on moving up?"

"Whatever. I saved your ass twenty years ago so you could go and live in the streets? Why'd I waste my time?"

"What do you want?" Cho asked, eyes narrowing.

"I want to know if any rumors have reached you that the dark one's in the states."

"Sure have, but most say he's in Europe with a new right hand bitch. What brings you to the big apple, my friend?"

"You heard anything else?" Ken asked, choosing to ignore the question.

"Just that the dark one would pay a mighty sum for your head, if anyone happens to come across you." Cho pulled out a knife from a sheath inside his shirt. "Silver plated, buddy. Now I admit I do owe you for saving my ass back in the eighties, so you've got ten seconds to get the hell out of my alley and get your ass back wherever you came from. We're through. I've signed up with the dark one to be his informant here in the apple. Sorry, Ken."

Ken was furious, but he knew when he was beat. Not bothering to throw a parting insult, he turned on his heel and walked away. Did none of them remember what the dark one had done and why it was imperative that he be stopped? He walked slowly back to the Jeep and Kaoru, knowing he had to get over his anger so he didn't take it out on her. One thing was certain, the dark one was in the states and most likely in California. Maybe with Kaoru along he'd have more of a chance at finding him then the last time he'd been close. He checked his watch. It was later than he'd thought. Four thirty in the morning. The sun rose in about an hour. He'd have to give up on New York and get back to Aoshi's. He found he didn't care if he never saw the Big Apple again.

There was the Jeep and there was Kaoru, even though he was five minutes late. He allowed himself to smile while he was far enough away that she couldn't see. He'd left her with the keys. She could've been halfway out of the city by now, but she was still there, looking like she was about to nod off in the passenger seat. Then she spotted him and her eyes lit up. She was instantly more alert. He was falling for her way too hard and too fast. As he reached the door, she leaned over and unlocked it, then stuck the key in the ignition. He opened it and sat down.

"It didn't go well, did it?" she asked miserably.

"No," he admitted, allowing a tinge of regret to creep into his voice.

"I'm glad you're okay."

"Thanks." He strapped in and started the car. He could feel her gaze on him, but he looked straight ahead. After a moment, he heard her strap in and he started the car, heading for Aoshi's apartment. After a while, she curled up in the front seat and slept.

You ever feel guilty that you never fought in World War II?

No. That's a job for the humans. Besides, we weren't even in Japanwhen they dropped the bombs.

True, but I can't help but have a soft spot for Japan, even though the country's changed to much.

I already fought for my country when I was alive. Why else do you think I ended up a vamp?

Oh, so that's how it happened, injured in the line of duty and all. You never told me.

You never asked.

Did your side win?

Yes.

Was it worth it?

It was worth dying for, but I was weak in the end. So here I am. I wish I had died.

Dejavu. The parking garage was empty of people at this hour of the morning, so he watched the regular rise and fall of her chest as she breathed in her sleep. Her dress had hiked up around her hips, but the skintight black shorts Kamatari had found for her to wear under the dress saved her dignity. Not that he was looking in that area. He sighed and stepped down from the car, walking around to her side. He unlocked the door, opened it, locked it, and un-strapped her, gently lifting her from the car. He was tired. He had five minutes until the sun rose and he surrendered to sleep. Kaoru pressed against him in her sleep and murmured something unintelligible. She still had her purse on her shoulder. He leaned against the door to shut it and headed for the apartment entrance. The doorman saw him and rushed over to open the door. Ken nodded his thanks, yawning. It was too close to dawn for him to think straight.

"You're visiting the Shinomoris, right? I'll press the elevator button for you," the man volunteered.

"Yes. Thanks," Ken agreed.

The elevator arrived at Ken stepped in. "You and your wife must have had quite a night. She's right tuckered out," the man observed, smiling down at Kaoru.

Ken wasn't in the mood to correct him. He could feel himself growing more and more tired. If he didn't get somewhere dark soon he'd nod off in the elevator. "Yeah. Thanks, mister," he answered the night doorman. The doors shut and Ken managed to press the button for the top floor even though he was holding Kaoru.

Kaoru stirred in his arms and looked blearily up at him. "Where are we?" she asked, slipping her arms around his neck to keep herself steady.

"In the elevator going up to Aoshi's. Only fives minutes left until dawn, Kaoru. I'm getting tired. Would you mind if I set you down?" he asked.

She blushed. "Oh, sure."

He set her down gently as they arrived at the top floor and the elevator slowed. He yawned. "Sorry."

"That's okay." Kaoru silently studied this tired Ken. He dropped his defenses at the end of the day, she concluded. The doors opened and they stepped out. He fumbled around in his pockets for the key.

"They've probably already gone to their room," he told her, coming up with the key with difficulty and inserting it into the door. He missed the lock a few times. Kaoru was alarmed at this sudden change in Ken. Had he been driving them around like this too? She was glad she'd been asleep. He should've woken her up so she could drive. He finally got the door unlocked and opened.

"Would you shut the door and put the locks on?" he mumbled the request, leaning against the wall just inside the door. He tried unsuccessfully to stifle another yawn.

"Are you okay, Ken?" Kaoru asked, concerned, as she put the bolt on. She noticed boxes stacked neatly on the other side of the door and decided they were the clothes and things Kamatari had picked out for her and Ken. Ken had said he was sending them to the Shinomori's, hadn't he?

"Yes. Could I lean on you? I don't think I can walk on my own."

"Okay." Kaoru jumped over to him and draped his arm around her shoulder. "Got you." They set off from the wall shakily. "Where to, Ken?"

"Just find the first bedroom," he mumbled, struggling to keep his eyes open.

The first door was a bathroom, but the second was a guest bedroom with only one window. Kaoru couldn't manage to find the light switch with Ken leaning on her so heavily, but she could make out the bed by the dim light wafting in from the city night lights. Kaoru and Ken struggled over to the bed. When they sat down Ken immediately kicked off his shoes, slid under the cover, and lay down on his side, curled up.

"Could you draw the shades? I can't let the light get through," he requested, exhausted. She imagined he had his eyes shut already, even though he was just a black form in the blacker gloom of the room.

Kaoru rushed over and did as he asked. Her purse slipped from her shoulder, but the room was pitch black and she couldn't find it again.

"Come here and sleep with me." His smooth voice came from the darkness.

Kaoru wondered if he knew what that sounded like, but couldn't resist the call of his voice. She walked in the direction it had come from until her knees ran into the bed. She crawled in, letting her shoes drop behind her on the floor. He was so far gone, she doubted he'd remember anything in the morning. She felt his arm around her and he pulled her close to him. She closed her eyes. His lips brushed her cheek. She couldn't tell if it was by accident or not. She didn't know wether to hope it was.

"I'm sorry about tonight," he apologized. His breath was hot against her face.

Kaoru's heart was racing. He was too close. "Don't be sorry, Ken."

"I am. I don't want anything to happen to you. I couldn't forgive myself if it did," he breathed.

"Good. Because I wouldn't forgive you either. I'd haunt you forever," Kaoru joked weakly, trying to fight the sensation of practically melting against him. At the same time, her whole body was on alert, skin tingling with pent up emotion. Ken chuckled. She could feel the laugh start deep in his chest and travel up his body. He pulled her closer. The overwhelming conviction flooded over her that she must be the one to protect him, and she encircled her arms around him as best she could.

"Dawn must be in a few moments," he murmured so softly she strained to hear him. His breathing was starting to take on the regular pattern of sleep. "Try to get some sleep during the day, okay?"

"I have no problem going to sleep right now," she assured him, withdrawing her arms and getting comfortable next to him. He made no reply, just kept breathing regularly. Kaoru realized he'd fallen asleep and knew the dawn had arrived. She smiled and drifted off to sleep herself.

Hey. Wanna come out drinking with me and some of the guys?

Nah. I'm not into that.

You sure? I just found out that now that I'm a vamp, it's almost impossible for me to get drunk.

Probably because you drank too much when you were human.

Probably. Now I can cheat the guys when they're drunk. They won't even remember what happened.

I thought you had more honor than that.

Nope. It's payback. They got me way too many times before. Sure you don't want to be my witness?

Nah. You go on.

Okay. I'll be back before sunrise plenty richer. I may even spend some money on you if you're lucky.

Kaoru woke slowly, feeling warm and relaxed. The room was pitch black except for the red letters of the clock on what she supposed must be the night stand by the bed. It said four twenty-four. She'd been asleep about ten hours then. She rolled over onto her stomach and looked away from the alarm. Her leg brushed against a warm body. What the hell? Who was that? Well it wasn't as if she slept in a bed with other people on a regular basis. She had to know who this was. She was probably just too groggy to remember. She reached out and traced a finger down the person's face. Oh, it was Ken, and there was that faint scar on his left cheek that was only visible when a certain slant of light fell across his face. She marveled at the sensation of his smooth skin under her finger. He'd never let her touch him like this when he was awake. His mouth was slightly open, she could feel the faintest breaths puffing against her finger. Then last night flew to her in a rush, Kamatari, the club, waiting in the car for Ken to come back. He'd seemed so much looser when he was drifting off to sleep, more relaxed, like he'd been when he woke up and talked to the Shinomori's early last night.

She wondered how he would treat her today and sighed, withdrawing her hand from his face. What had he said they were doing that night? Going to California! Even farther away from her home. But Kaoru decided that she'd go without putting up a fuss. No one was going to miss her after all. She had to admit that she wanted to stay with Ken as long as possible. There was that something about him that drew her like a moth to a flame. She just hoped this particular flame wasn't a bug-zapper.

She thought guiltily of Sou for a moment. He might be worried when he couldn't get in touch with her, but there really wasn't much he could do from Japan, was there? This was likely to be the adventure of a lifetime, the only adventure of her lifetime. She was reluctant to cut it short. Her parents had said they'd call once a week. They wouldn't be too disturbed if she didn't answer. And if they were, they could hardly cut their cruise short and rush back up to Pennsylvania. She was glad that Sou and her parents didn't have any way to contact each other. She doubted she would be gone long anyway. Let them worry. They'd get over it.

Kaoru turned her mind back to the present and decided she was hungry. She hadn't had anything since the drink of water at the club. She wriggled away from him and out of the bed, then made her way in the dark to the door with minimal difficulty and opened it. The light from the hallway was on and shone into the room. There was Ken, lying with his back to her, curled underneath the covers. And there was her purse on the floor. Her shoes were probably on the other side of the bed. She vaguely remembered slipping them off before going to sleep. Kaoru smiled at the sleeping vampire's still form and turned away, padding down the hallway to where she remembered the kitchen to be.

As she munched on cereal, she thought about Ken's change in moods when the sun rose and set. She wondered if he'd be as relaxed when he woke and excitedly decided to be there when he did. She should try to get more sleep anyway, no doubt she'd suffer lots of jet lag in California. What was the time difference again? Three or four hours. That much longer night and time running around following Ken in whatever scheme he had in mind. She decided she might as well take a shower and then pack. It would be nice to get into the more comfortable clothes Kamatari had picked out for her and out of the now wrinkled dress. She didn't think the Shinomori's would care if she opened the packages from Kamatari, even if they were addressed to the couple. Well Aoshi might care, but Misao wouldn't, and Misao clearly was the boss of her husband. Just as long as she finished before sunset.

Hey, Ken, do you think I should wear the blue one or the green one?

Whatever you want. It's your turn to go looking for new contacts. I'm relaxing tonight.

I know. That's why I need to know which color will impress the ladies.

Go with the blue then.

Thanks. Pretty women, here I come!

As always, when he first swam to consciousness he heard the sound of his mother's voice singing him an ancient lullaby long forgotten by all but him. Then her voice faded away and he was caught in a panic because he could not wake up quickly. But this time his panic was soothed by a faint scent of jasmine. Kaoru. It stayed with him as he fought to open his eyes, the conviction that his past enemies were gathered around him ready to drive swords in and out of his flesh growing in the back of his mind. They must have already gotten Kaoru. Her blood would be dripping of the blades, mixing with his as they drove the knives in. . .

He could not move or open his eyes for twenty minutes, and he knew the sun was setting slowly as it always did, teasing him with the brightness that waited just at the other side of hie eyelids. Then, as the last slivers of light faded from the sky, he could open his eyes. He stared up at the ceiling. The room was black, as always. The air was a great weight. He couldn't move under it's pressure. It seemed a wonder his lungs weren't crushed. But then again, he didn't really need them to breathe. Then the sun must have completely set, because in the space of a minute, the air thinned and he could move again.

Ken sat up and probed his surroundings with his senses. Who was that sitting on the chair? They were breathing slowly, as if asleep. Silently, he slid out of bed and over to the door, his clothes rustling the slightest as he slid from between the sheets. He'd deal with the intruder himself. Painfully. He grinned. It would be nice to have someone to vent his frustration on. And this outsider was human. Weak. Probably one of the hunters. How annoying. He vaguely wondered how they'd gotten into the Shinomori apartment. He found he didn't really care. He locked the door so the intruder couldn't get out and tensed in preparation to flick on the lights, ready to spring over to the chair the minute they realized he was conscious. But he wouldn't make it easy for them. No, not easy at all. Maybe he'd leave a little for Aoshi and Misao to play with once he was done.

It was Kaoru, curled up in an easy chair. He recoiled from his attack stance in horror. What was she doing here and why hadn't he been able to sense that it was her? He tried again. Now he could . He must have not been fully awake then. He shivered. He would've hurt her if he hadn't gone to lock the door first. He realized that there really was no way for an outsider to get into the Shinomori penthouse. It was over a hundred stories up. The Shinomoris had human lookouts. All the doormen and personnel who worked there were their contacts. They owned the whole building! He hadn't been thinking straight.

Ken walked over and looked down at her, sleeping peacefully. She was curled in the chair in the fetal position, using her hands for pillows against the arm rest. She slept with a slight smile on her face, her cheeks a nice healthy pink. Plenty of blood flowing through those veins. He swallowed and licked his lips nervously. She'd changed from her dress into a pair of jeans, a tight red shirt with a lowish scoop-necked collar, and a jean jacket. Her shoes were placed neatly under the chair. The whole outfit looked expensive. She must've found the clothes Kamatari had outfitted her with, then. His people delivered fast. As if feeling his gaze, she stirred and woke, squinting in the light.

"Ken? You're awake!" she exclaimed, uncurling herself from the chair and standing, loose hair flowing down her back. He could hardly believe it when she walked into his arms and hugged him, burying her face in his chest for a moment.

"Yeah," he answered, hugging her as well. He wondered what had brought on this onslaught of emotion. There she went, tempting him again. Well she normally tempted him by simply existing, but did she have to get this close to him when he'd just woken and could barely think straight? He smoothed back her hair and looked down at her upturned face. His breath caught when he realized she wasn't wearing the silver cross earrings. He caressed the side of her neck with a finger, suddenly barely able to hold his emotions in check.

She blushed. "They're on the night stand. I've been using them almost as a weapon. I took them off to show you that I trust you. Only you though. They're going back on before I see the Shinomoris," she explained.

He tilted his head down and kissed her neck, wishing he could do more. "You shouldn't trust me." He pulled away with difficulty.

"I can't help it, Ken," she told him, hesitantly rising up on her toes and kissing his cheek. He tilted his head at the last second so their lips were connected. She gasped in surprise and he instantly deepened the kiss, willing his tongue to explore her mouth, amazed that he was actually kissing her again. He hadn't thought this would happen a second time. She slid her arms up and around his neck and he felt her fingers twine through his hair. He broke away with difficulty and kissed her neck once again. He was barely able to keep his fangs from penetrating, but he couldn't resist her. Hadn't he hated those earrings because they stopped him from getting to her? With a start he found that he wanted her more than he wanted her blood.

Kaoru couldn't help but gasp again as Ken's lips traveled down from her neck, along her collarbone, and to the tops of her breasts. Her tenses were tingling. His lips left a trail of fire up her skin. He seemed to sense that she was uncomfortable, because he began kissing up again, slowly. It was agony. She couldn't help but want more. She was frustrated that she was uncomfortable with him still, but reminded herself sadly that she hadn't known him for long and probably wouldn't be around him much longer in the future. This couldn't last. He finally stopped at her bottom lip and gazed down at her, eyes a soft shade of violet.

"What's wrong?" he asked her.

"I don't know how this can last."

I think I love you.

Ken wanted to confess, refusing to think about anything besides the immediate future. How anything like this could've happened in such a short time he didn't know, but what he'd thought was true. It was going to break his heart when he took her back to her home and left her. He could never risk the chance that he might have a weak moment and turn her. He waited to see what else she would say, how she would react to his silence. A green flame of envy sprung up in his consciousness when she still looked troubled. Was she even now thinking of her boyfriend?

Kaoru's eyes clouded with tears. "At least we're going to Californiatogether," she said, before her tears spilled over.

"Why are you so sad then?"

"Because I'm going to have to give you up. I can't live like this forever, Ken."

"I know." He kissed her tears and then her mouth. "Feel better."

She smiled. He must still be waking up, because he wasn't his usual cold self. "Then I guess you'll finally tell me what's going on?"

"On the plane, okay? The flight's at one. Can you wait that long?" he teased lightly.

"Don't treat me like I'm a little kid," she said softly back, smiling.

"With these curves?" he asked, drawing a finger up her side from her thigh across her hips to her breasts and on up to her lips, his eyes on hers the whole time. He saw nothing but pleasure in the dark blue depths. He wanted her too much. He didn't think she'd let him do anything too risqué. Didn't her religion say something about not having sex unless you were married? Something like that anyway.

"I wouldn't put it past you," she replied, obviously happy again. Ken was glad she'd recovered from her depression so quickly. It was disconcerting seeing her with tears in her eyes over him. They kissed again, exploring each other. She tasted faintly of sugar. He supposed she'd eaten cereal or something. She was as soft as cotton candy, melting in his mouth.

"Ken," she broke into the kiss with difficulty. She didn't want this to extend until he woke up fully. She doubted she'd be able to talk to him until sunset then if he suddenly snapped to his senses and pushed her away. He'd probably even be angry. "When are we leaving? I don't want to miss our flight."

She was right. Ken focused his mind back on business matters instead of her body. "The flight's for one. So we get there an hour early, and I need one and a half hours for traffic. Puts us at ten thirty," he calculated, reluctantly releasing her.

"I already packed and picked out some traveling clothes for you, if you don't mind. They're from the clothes you bought from Kamatari. I put them in the bathroom in case you wanted a shower," she told him shyly.

"Thanks." He was surprised that she'd thought so far ahead. Who knew what she'd been doing while he and the Shinomoris slept. She'd turned her back and was walking over to the night stand to put back on her silver earrings.

"No problem," Kaoru answered breezily to cover her nervousness. She was suddenly troubled. How would he act once they were out among the world again? She slipped each of the earrings on, suddenly feeling like crying again. Ken could be so sweet when he let his guard down. Why did he have to act so cold for the world? But then he was there, his arms around her waist, which he squeezed lightly.

"Remember, this morning," he whispered, instantly buoying her spirits. His lips brushed her cheek before he released her and headed inside the adjoining bathroom. Kaoru smiled. Everything was going to be okay. Snapping out of her daze, she decided to head out to the living room before Misao came looking for her and wondered what she was doing with Ken. For some reason, she didn't want her to know anything about her and Ken's relationship. If you could call it that. A nagging thought stayed in the back of her mind. If Ken wanted her to remember, did that mean he loved her? Or was he just toying with her emotions? She wished she could resist him, but it had been all she could do to break off that kiss.

Ken, lately I've been thinking about night school.

Why?

I feel a burning need to broaden my education.

No really, why?

There's this really hot chick who's into vampires and stuff and she'd taking this night school course. I thought I'd surprise her sometime.

She'll be surprised alright.

"I'm definitely going to drop by and visit you next summer, Kaoru. When do you get home from college?" Misao asked, giving Kaoru a hug.

Ken, Kaoru, and the Shinomoris had finally lugged the six bags of luggage and two carry-on bags Kamatari had fixed them up with out to the car. They were saying their goodbyes in the busy parking garage. Ken was already in the car, with Aoshi talking to him through the window. Misao and Kaoru were on the other side of the car, but Kaoru had not opened the passenger side door yet.

"I should be home by mid-May," Kaoru answered, although it was hard to imagine next summer. Where would Ken be then? "I'll look forward to it, Misao." She was surprised to find that she meant it, even though she'd gotten off to a rocky start with the woman. She wondered how Aoshi would feel about Misao visiting. He and Kaoru had pretty much managed to have nothing to do with each other. Kaoru figured he was still upset over her earring burning his wife, but it was hard to tell. He kept is face more impassive than even Ken could. It didn't look like Misao had rubbed off on him at all over the years.

"So will I. I don't have any human friends. Contacts don't count for much. It's like they're drugged on you. But I'm happy as long as I'm with my hubbie. Take care of yourself, Kaoru. Ken's a reckless one."

"I will. You watch out too. The two hunters I met looked like they'd come after any vampire they happened to stumble across."

"I'll be okay. Hunters come and go, but Aoshi and me have always made it through, along with the rest of the Oniwaban. They'll be coming back later tomorrow night. I'm glad you two are leaving before they do. I don't know how they'd react to you. Probably worse than I did. Sorry about that."

"It's okay," Kaoru said uncomfortably. She didn't really like thinking about it. An irrational fear would start to build within her that Misao and Ken would turn against her and Aoshi would join in and she would be a great meal. Maybe that fear wasn't so irrational when she thought about it.

Ken started the car. She got the message. "See you then, Misao," she promised, impulsively hugging the smaller woman once more.

Misao hugged her back fiercely. "You're good for him, Kaoru. He hasn't been this animated for ten years. I hope things work out for you both."

Kaoru smiled and opened the door, stepping up into the Jeep. Misao ran around the back, long braid trailing in her wake, and joined her husband. Once she'd shut the door, Ken backed out and pulled slowly away towards the exit. Kaoru rolled down her window and waved. She watched the Shinomoris in the rearview mirror. Aoshi's arm was draped casually around Misao, who was waving back energetically and yelling something. He was ever the picture of coolness, she more like a bouncy cheerleader. They fit together well. Ken turned the corner and they were gone.

"Aoshi's got a man at the airport coming in two hours before our flight, so we're handing the car over to him. What was Misao talking to you about?"

"What was Aoshi talking to you about?" Kaoru shot back, buckling her seatbelt and using the hair tie on her wrist to put her hair up in a casual ponytail. It was refreshing to have it up and not clinging to her neck. Ken had started the air-conditioning, but it hadn't cooled the car down yet.

Ken remained expressionless. "Business. I'm not going to tell you any more."

Kaoru sniffed. "Then I won't tell you anything." She smirked and looked out the window at New York City. She hadn't had any time to appreciate it. The sky scrapers, the lights, the countless limos and taxis. All the people trying to make it in the big city. As always when she was in the city for too long, she started to get a little claustrophobic. It would be good to get out. Even in its beauty, it was cold and impersonal to an outsider like her who enjoyed the peace and quiet of nature, well as much nature as she could get living in the suburbs of Philly. She fiddled with the radio and came up with the beginning strains of 'I Wanna Know' by Joe.

"Didn't know you went for the R&B," Ken commented.

"I like everything, except country. Must be growing up near Philadelphiathat did it. No one listens to country, but mostly everything else is okay. What about you?"

"What ever you want is fine."

"That's not what I meant."

"I know."

"Then tell me." Kaoru rolled her eyes. There was the side of Ken that didn't like to explain anything.

"Relaxing music. I don't really care what it is or what language it's in. After being alive for so long running around making contacts and making sure people owe me so they'll do me a favor, I need to relax."

Kaoru tried to picture Ken relaxing to R&B, sipping on a juice drink while he lounged on the side of a pool. He'd be wearing his swim trunks and sunglasses and maybe a towel would be draped around his neck. He'd sip the juice from a straw while a bikini-stringed woman massaged his neck. Lucky woman. She snapped out of her reverie. Ken couldn't go out in the day anyway, and she'd been picturing him on a bright, cloudless afternoon.

"How long have you been a vampire?" Kaoru asked. She'd been burning to ask him as soon as she found out what he was, but hadn't had any reason to hope that he'd answer her. She still didn't, but he didn't seem so distant that evening. He might feel like answering.

"Since 1800 or so. I'm not sure of the year. Not nearly as long as some. I know a guy from the Renaissance era."

"Wow," Kaoru said, impressed. What depth of willpower did it take to live for so long? They'd be chased by hunters, their contacts would grow old. Everyone they'd known as a human would slowly die off until they had no one but other vampires. Kaoru hadn't gotten the impression that vampires stuck together much. It seemed to be a solo lifestyle. "How old were you when you became a vampire?" She held her breath, half doubting that he would answer at all, or that if he did, he would be angry. But Ken didn't seem annoyed or surprised at her question and replied in a neutral enough tone.

"Twenty-three."

Kaoru was silent, mulling over this new information. She couldn't even begin to imagine the changes in the world he'd seen. They didn't have cars then, or electricity. She wondered what country he was from, but decided not to press. He didn't seem to want to talk about it. She'd press him on the plane, once they were settled in and he couldn't use the road as a distraction to avoid eye contact. He was going to be talking a lot on the plane. Besides, she liked a moment of peace with Ken. They didn't have to talk to feel comfortable with each other. In the car heading towards Newarkairport, it was as if they were in their own bubble, floating through the world, isolated. It was just the two of them. She liked it that way.

A/N- Well there it is! Hope you liked it. Sorry it was a bit shorter than the previous chapters. And again, thanks a bunch for all the reviews. And thanks to HiEi FoR sALe for telling all those friends about my story! Again, hope you liked this chapter! Please review and tell me what you thought.

Press that button!