Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ A Change of Fate ❯ Could things be more confusing? ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Standard disclaimer. Sailor Moon is not mine, the idea and the show belong to people much richer than I. Please don't sue!

Dimmer however is mine.. of course if someone wants to use him or any of his transformations for ANY reason "thbbt" go ahead. You have my complete and total permission. I only request you tell me… Hell, I don't care if you do it without my permission, it's not like I could find out anyway.

Warning: mild language, and this is my first fic. Maybe lime sometime in the far future, but I seriously doubt it.

Dimmer paid for the meal than went to sit with the girls. "Now, I imagine you probably have a few real questions you guys were looking for answers too. If I can answer them I will."

"Yeah", the mood at the restaurant table was once again serious, and Rei was the first to speak, "First question. Who are the sailor scouts?" Best make sure he really does know before giving it away, she thought to herself.

Dimmer just looked at Rei with a single raised eyebrow. "Gee. I wonder. Come on Rei just because you change outfits doesn't stop someone from recognizing people. You guys are worse than Lois is in Superman comics. At least Clark wears glasses too. Besides, its kinda hard to mistake Serena's hair style for anyone else's."

The girls just laughed nervously, most scratching the back of their heads while looking away. "Than you didn't see me transform on top of the temple roof?" Rei continued.

"Transform eh? Okay so you guys have to summon your powers? Do the funky costumes come with it? Somehow I don't see Amy wearing a mini skirt any other way."

"Yes, but that isn't important now Dimmer." Amy continued where Rei left off, "My question is how did you find out about last's nights battle with the Negaverse?"

"Negaverse? Looked to me like you guys were going after that ice cream vendor guy. Why you guys at each other's throats anyway? And where'd those lizard things come from? Do you guys know magic?"

"Ah ah ah. Dimmer, answer our questions first, than we'll answer yours. Lady's first don't ya know?" Lita could understand why Dimmer wants to know. If she was in his position she'd be bursting with questions too, but in the position she was already in, she had some stuff that needed a bit of answering before they went into any long stories of how the Sailor Scouts were formed or who the Negaverse was.

"I'm sorry. You're right of course, you guys first, me second, what was that last question again? How I knew about the fight? Can't really say for sure. Was up late last night, got that feeling ya get when something bad is about to go down, went to where the feeling was strongest. Seen you girls 'bout to be hit from behind with some pink "magic or energy" ball."

"Is that all there is to it Dimmer? You look like your not telling me everything." Amy knew their was more to this, there had to be. Was this the reason Dimmer showed up here? Who was he, really? No one just falls from the sky, and lands without so much as a scratch, let alone is able to see through the magic disguises of their Sailor Scout uniforms, and can be just that good at learning things. He had to have some purpose here. He probably had just forgotten what he was here for when he picked up the amnesia. Something wrong must have happened somewhere for him to lose his memory. Or maybe he didn't lose his memory at all, and is looking for something. She just didn't know what to think of this whole mess. And was he, somehow, in the way of the energy ball Talenite shot at them. If so it was Sundown that "saved his skin" not the Sailor Scouts, but knowing as little as he claimed to know, there was no way he would know who Sundown was, and it might have looked like he was a part of the scouts considering the way he protected them.

"Well other than what you probably already know." He made a gesture very similar to the tipping a hat the same way Sundown did the girls last night. "No Aimes I can't think of anything else."

So he saw Sundown. The Scouts started to get an idea of what was going on here. 'Cept Serena.

"So you have super powers too Dimmer? That's great. Maybe you can help us."

"Well than Dimmer, you probably can't answer this one, but this needs to be asked." Lita decided to bring the girls to what concerned her most with the new state of affairs. "How did Talenite know where to find me? Did he somehow see through our disguises like Dimmer here has? Does that mean they know who we are? If so all of your families' lives are in danger here."

Amy was about to ask Dimmer something else when Lita made her statement. Amy thought she knew what happened, Sundown saved Dimmer when saving the scouts from that surprise attack from Talenite. From the gesture Dimmer had made that looked like the tip of the hat Sundown gave them, it was obvious he knew who Sundown was. He probably just got out of there before Amy made the scan of the area while they were helping Rei up. She was about to ask him why he left; normally Dimmer would have tried to see if there was anything he could do to help. Of course he might have just left when Sundown did, and not have seen Rei collapse like she had. But the point Lita brought up put these thoughts aside. If the Negaverse had found out who they were, it would mean serious trouble.

"Oh no!" Serena had gone from plain curious from where Dimmer was concerned to horrified at Lita's exclamation. "What are we gonna do?"

"Don't panic yet Serena. It might have just been coincidence, and I think Sundown probably scared him off anyway. We can't overreact to this."

"I agree with Rei." Amy voted her own opinion. "But that doesn't mean we shouldn't be prepared. We should still take extra precautions while changing, and going home from battles in the future."

"Right!" The other three said in unison.

"Hey! Don't forget about me here. What do you want me to do? I gotta be able to help." Dimmer couldn't help but want to help now that he had a transformation of his own.

"You" Rei pointed at him. "Can do your best to stay out of it. If you want to keep an eye out for suspicious characters, or stuff like that, it's fine, but don't confront them! Just let us handle that part." After all, Rei thought, So far all he has is amazing powers of perception. That's useful, but it alone won't let you stand up in a fight. "Face it Dimmer. You don't know everything you can do yet. It's just too dangerous to go out without knowing the full extent of your powers"

Dimmer just scratched his head remembering how much help he was last time. "Well okay Rei, I guess that makes sense… but if I can do anything to help you guys I will!"

Amy, knowing Dimmer, knew that was the best they were going to get from him. "That's good Dimmer. Just don't underestimate us either. We wouldn't be able to forgive ourselves if we let you get hurt." There, that should make him think about the situation before rushing in, at least.

"But back to the question at hand" Lita spoke up, "What precautions do we take?"

The girls all came up with different ideas, but couldn't decide on any. They all looked at Luna who sat on Serena's lap. Luna looked to Dimmer and sighed "Well," She thought, "He's gonna find out eventually anyway…"

"Okay, girls I think Rei and Amy's ideas are for the best, Serena your just being silly, and Lita stop encouraging her." Serena's idea was to make a secret base somewhere and go there every time they wanted to have a meeting, and change there whenever their radar, they'd have Amy build, detected Nega-activity and head to the spot in super cool vehicles. They kept adding more stuff as they talked excitedly. It was pretty much a redone comic of Batman's batcave, only for the scouts. Dimmer just laughed and shook his head until Luna talked. Than looked around not recognizing the voice, or where it came from.

Luna jumped on top of the table about to proclaim herself as the one who spoke. She was promptly grabbed in an "Elmira" fashion as Dimmer cuddled her affectionately, forgetting all about the mysterious voice. There were only two thoughts on his mind; first, he had a distinct sinking feeling Chad had just opened a bag of Cheesy Poofs. His second thought was…

"Kitty!!"

The scouts couldn't keep the laughter away, as they seen their guide was being half cuddled, half strangled by Dimmer. There's only so much humiliation one can take before blowing up. This was Luna's limit.

"That's enough!!"

Luna shouted into the crowded chocolate shop. As every one inside stopped to look at the four girls, guy, and cat, crickets could be heard chirping outside. The scouts' eyes widened. How were they gonna explain this? Dimmer stood up abruptly and looked at Serena with anger in his eyes.

"What do ya mean ya want another!?" he shouted at her, making tears well up in her eyes. "You've already had enough for two people! You know I can't afford any more!"

That did it. The blonde's arms fell to her sides and the water factory was in full throttle. It was the first time Serena ever seen Dimmer angry, and she didn't even know what she did.

"Hey buddy! Settle down! I know the meatball head eats a lot, but that's nothing to yell at her for." A tall, young man with short, black hair walked up to the table.

Serena settled down to just a few streams from her eyes as she seen someone was trying to defend her. Until she seen who it was, and realized what he said. Than she switched from crying too angry and annoyed in less than a second. "Great, just who I needed. Darien. Bug off you black-haired booger. I do not eat a lot, and you insult me more than Dimmer ever could." She gestured vaguely toward Dimmer who was eyeing the blue cat in his lap.

"Aww Come on meatball head, can't take a joke?"

"Make fun of my hair one more time Darien, and I swear you're going to regret it!"

Dimmer stopped to look up at the pair fighting. He smiled. "Holy damn! You got a ting for Serena don't cha b'y?"

By this time everyone else in the store went about their business, being used to of the racket the girls and their friends usually caused. The girls' table, however, went so quiet you could still hear the crickets. Darien's jaw dropped, while Serena's mouth widened into a grin. The other girls were all holding in the laughter that was trying to leak out.

Sparkles started to shine in Serena's eyes, and her hands folded together, slowly moved to cover mouth "Oh my God!"

She was gone before he could blink, than she popped up from behind his left shoulder. "Really Darien?"

He went to look at her to respond, but she had already moved to his other shoulder. "Is that why you tease me all the time?"

Sweating now, again he went to look, but she moved back to his other shoulder. This time she was looking far away, ignoring Darien. "I can't believe it! Darien's got a crush on meee! Just imagine all these years of teasing me was just to hide his love!"

"Hey! that's not how it is at all!" yelled Darien who had finally found her after she started staring off into space. "And stop doing that!"

While the girls were all out right laughing, Lita had fallen backwards off her chair. Dimmer, however, was not laughing. He had an evil smirk on his face. "Are you sure about that Darien?" he asked, eyes sparkling with a mischievous light, "But weren't you just coming over to defend her?"

"I can't believe you actually think I 'like' the meatball head!"

Serena was about to start yelling at him again, over Darien calling her names, again, but Dimmer had spotted another opening.

"Don't get too worked up Serena" he said, patting her shoulder to calm her down again, "after all if your theory of him loving you from afar is correct, than wouldn't that make the term 'meatball head' a form of endearment?"

Amy was helping Lita up when hit with another wave of laughter and Amy had fallen down to join her. Rei was holding on to her side, trying to tell Dimmer to shut up so she could get a break from laughing. Darien's face had turned to a dark shade of red.

"Come on girls" Dimmer laughed while helping Lita and Amy up, "Lets finish this at the temple. Chad will be there soon, and I wanna see that bike!"

And so the girls left the stunned Darien standing there while they headed off toward the temple. Darien finally noticed they were gone. He started chuckling to himself. "I can't believe it. The meatball head finally got one over on me, with help from that Dimmer. Now I know your name, but whose side are you on?" He thought back to last night.

Tuxedo Mask, came back to see if the battle against… Talenite, he believed the name was? was the threat that kept bothering his senses. To his surprise the girls had another protector, but he fought brutally, taking out the lizards with a black sword, and chasing off Talenite, it seemed for good. He decided to follow this stranger home, and to his surprise found him to be staying at the temple. He could only hope that this Sundown was truly on the girl's side. Maybe it meant he could spend more time looking for the crystal. He had just learned the name the girls knew him by. "Dimmer" he said quietly to himself, "I hope our paths run the same way."

Half way down the street Dimmer sneezed. They had decided to take the scenic route to the temple, along one of the less busy streets. The sun was almost completely obscured by the buildings, and it was lining the buildings in a bright outline of red. The street lights had all begun to turn on. Lita and Serena were laughing as they were inventing a giant scenario where Darien was following Serena all this time. Dimmer simply laughed while Amy and Rei talked further about the scout business. Luna hadn't said much since the incident at the shop.

"You two do realize I was just making that stuff up about Darien, don't ya?"

"Oh of course Dimmer, I wouldn't go out with that jerk for a week off school!"

"And ummm... Luna?" He bent down toward the cat. "Can you really talk?"

The cat sighed, "Yes, Dimmer, I can."

"Wick~ed!" he picked her up and cuddled her again. "You do know I'm sorry about stepping on your tail that time?"

Luna, who was surprised at finding herself in Dimmer's arms again, gave him at flat look, "Yes Dimmer, I know you're sorry. You've only apologized to me an innumerous amount of times."

"That's right!" Dimmer said in a voice that was meant for talking to babies, " I'm sorry, yes I aaaam." Than he ruffled up her fur on top of her head. He turned to Serena. "Sorry about hollering at ya back there. I wasn't mad, I knew what I was getting into with your appetite. I was just getting the attention off Luna here."

"Hmph! well you better be sorry, I've a good mind not to speak to you again for that!"

Dimmer's eyes dilated into 1/10 their normal size. He swallowed back the evil things to say about "her with a good mind, or her not speaking again". … too …. many comebacks, …conscience ….won't let me say them. Consequences… too high!

"I'm sorry girls, I nearly gave ourselves away. If agents from the Negaverse were there, they'd already know who you are. There's obviously not too many talking cats around. All of you worried about giving yourselves away, and I might have just done it for you. Dimmer, please put me down."

"No."

"Huh?"

"Kitty's upset, she needs her bowl of milk."

"Dimmer, please?! Don't treat me like a..."

"Cat?"

"No! I am a cat, just don't treat me like an ordinary cat."

"I'm not, I'd do the same thing for Rei if she was upset over an accident, or something stupid like that. Though I don't think it would be as easy to carry her to the temple, and I don't think she'd enjoy drinking out of a bowl of milk."

Luna would have argued that point on anybody else, but with Dimmer, he'd probably do just that. So she just sighed and began to straighten out her fur on her head with her paw. Besides it looked like Rei was about to kill him anyway.

Lita was commenting to Serena and Amy after Amy had described what she could make of Dimmer's story, while in the background Dimmer was holding Luna up as a shield to stop Rei from hitting him.

"So let me get this straight. Dimmer has the ability to sense supernatural things or when his friends might be in danger, so he came running from where ever he was. Than he spotted us getting surprised attacked by Talenite. Sundown saved us and him, and he thinks Sundown is part of us, and that's why he thinks we saved him."

"Wow Amy, you figured it all out!" Serena was, as usual, ecstatic.

Dimmer stopped, "What? You mean you guys haven't figured out that I'm... aaahhh!!" Luna had gotten out of his hands and started scratching his face, than Rei came down on his head with her fist. Dimmer's face met the ground while his feet were still up in the air. Rei was clapping the dirt off her hands. "So that brings us to Sundown, and what we should do about him."

Dimmer was back up in a flash "Hey, whaddaya mean?"

"Didn't we already decide on that?"

"Yeah, but should we ask him? or will he even show up next time?" The girls had gathered around in a circle, leaving Dimmer to run around it trying to get their attention.

"Asking would be a lot easier, considering he's RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!"

"We should probably just ask, he'll tell us won't he?" Lita put in her opinion.

Dimmer pulls out a set of lights that they use to wave down air planes and waves them frantically, "He's TRYING to tell you!!"

"But will he show up next time is the question." Amy wondered.

Dimmer started playing a one-man band behind them. They weren't affected in the slightest.

"I guess we will find out than." Luna answered for them, "For now we should just go home, and gets some sleep. I want people sensing for that crystal tomorrow. I'm going to talk to master control, and see what I can come up with."

Finally Dimmer had enough, he took in a deep breath and shouted as loud as he could,

"I AM SUNDOWN!"

He looked up and saw Rei staring at him...

from the other end of the street.

All the other girls had left to go home.

"You coming?" Rei hollered to him.

Dimmer was shaking in frustration. "One thing." he said to himself, "If one more thing happens..." It was then the street lamp decided to turned off above him.

Dimmer's eyebrow arced upward.

A view of the city at night was quiet, and stunning. That is until from somewhere within, a lone scream was heard.

"BASTARD!!"

"Did you honestly think you could escape me?" Queen Beryl looked down upon her tortured servant. "You're disgusting, however your information about our newest enemy intrigues me. Zoicite!"

Zoicite appeared suddenly, "You summoned me my queen?"

"Yes Zoicite, take this traitor and use him to your purposes. If he gets in your way either kill him, or if time permits, bring him back here and I will let him sleep forever."

"Yes my Queen," she held her hand out toward Talenite, who was now shaking in fear and pain from his wounds. He was teleported away. "Will that be all my Queen?"

"No. Not yet Zoicite. I've noticed you haven't been busy lately. What are your plans for the sailor scouts, and to retrieve the rainbow crystals? It seems as though you do nothing."

"Actually Queen Beryl, I've found one more of the holders of the crystal, I plan to have it here tonight."

"Very well Zoicite, bring it back here, or you may join your already fallen comrades."

"It will be as you say, my Queen."

"I hope so Zoicite... for your sake."

Endnotes: Update time! Well what can I say. Lots of explaining, lots of wrong conclusions, and Dimmer starts to show some frustration. You can be sure the mistaken identity won't last long, It's obvious he ain't very good at keeping secrets.

Woot! Darien has made a cameo! The question has been asked why he'd follow Dimmer home and never think of doing it for the scouts. Its probably the point that the scouts are probably looking out for him, while Dimmer never even seen the guy before, so why would he expect a stalker?

And it only took 9 chapters to get to the story line of the actual show! Wow. You know I suddenly feel very inept at this…

Hey, its been a while since I updated. I was going steadily before, but though many chapters are finished, I want to make this stretch out so I'll always have something for ya to read until its end. So expect a bit of a longer time period between updates, not too much of one though. 2 weeks would be far too long in my book.

Read & Review

Later!