Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Some Bruises Don't Fade ❯ Curse of Aethena ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Some Bruises Don't Fade
Lady Amber

I'm glad you guys have stuck with me this far, it's a pleasure, I'll tell you. I also hope you guys are enjoying this.. Also, the only Japanese names I use are the Japanese Royal names, just because of the fact it's a WHOLE lot less confusing than the Dub ones, and I love the mythology that is the basis of the names.. Check it out sometime, the myths are wonderful.

Part Three: Curse of Aethena

Prechapter; Apartment thirteen, Monday night
She was wrapped in a blanket, sitting on the balcony when he came home. Her eyes were on the skies, reflecting their brilliance, her breath making small clouds in the air. She didn't move or speak to him, just pulled the blanket tighter around her, snuggling into her lawnchair. She looked so tired,..
Jake leaned against the doorway, his black hair blowing gently in the breeze. "I'm sorry I didn't get home sooner," He said softly. She shrugged, and he sighed again, looking up, following her eyes. A brilliant pure white crescent moon hung in the air, back drop a velvet indigo sky, lit by pinpricks of light. It was breathtaking. He hadn't meant to make her mad at him, he should have used a human phone to call her... Now she was mad at him.
"I'm sorry Belle." He said, walking over to her and squatting down next to her chair. She turned her eyes from him. He touched her cheek, gently moving her head to look at him. "Please don't be mad at me." His eyes were so large, so pleading, she couldn't help herself.
She flung the blankets away from her, flying into his arms. "Oh.. I could never be mad at you.. You.. you just worried me.." He stood, lifting her into his arms and hugging her tight to him. She laid her head on his chest, breathing the scent of his cologne as he kissed the top of her head.
"I'm so sorry.." He smiled then, "come on, it's cold out here. I'll make you a cup of hot cocoa, ok?" She lifted her head and met his eyes, and behind her glasses her own were twinkling with happy mischief.
"With extra marshmallows?" He laughed.
"Of course.." He carried her into the small apartment, setting her down on the sofa and going into the kitchen, returning in a few minutes with two mugs of steaming cocoa. Belle smiled widely and snuggled up with him as they sipped their cocoa and watched a movie.

Chapter One; Tuesday, Cherry Hill temple
Rei rubbed her temples, sighing. "Serena's late.. AGAIN.." The others sweatdropped in annoyance at the tone of Rei's voice. Suddenly, her crows cawed loudly, alerting them to the fact that someone was coming up the steps. They all turned to look.
Serena, with Luna over her shoulder, charged up the steps, flushing embarassedly. "Sorry guys, I got another detention.. Miss Sisaki's no fair, it wasn't my fault I was late again, the bus broke down!!" Everyone sweatdropped, waiting for Rei's biting remark, but before she could start in, Ami broke the silence.
"That's alright I was late too. Let's get down to business." Rei shut her mouth with an audible snap, glaring at Ami. Ami pretended not to notice. The girls went inside, Serena sticking her tongue out at Rei and laughing. Rei growled and swore if Serena did that again, she'd have a broken broom over her head...
"Come ON guys.." Lita said, shoving them into Rei's room, and they sat down. "Where are the others?" She asked, glancing around. It wasn't like any of them to ever be late...
"They said they had something to do. They took Hotaru with them!.. That can't be good.." Reenie volunteered. "I wonder what they meant, what did they have to do?"
"Well, whatever it was, it's up to them to finish it. We have to worry about the new Scout.." Mina said logically. "Luna, what do you know about this Aethena persona?"
Luna sat down in the middle of the table, her head lowered. Her crescent mark gleamed. "It is very fuzzy.. But it's getting clearer by the moment.." She said softly, and the Scouts sat quietly, waiting. Finally, her head rose, and she said "I remember it all.."
The Scouts settled down around her, making themselves comfortable. Diana was also there, and Darien, who'd arrived while Luna was recovering her memories. Reenie sat on Darien's lap, and Serena sat next to them, with Diana on her own lap. "We're ready whenever you are, Luna,.." Artemis said softly. "But just promise me, if it gets too much, you'll stop, ok?" Luna smiled and nodded.
"As you all know, the Silver Millennium was a time of great peace and prosperity, when all the Kingdoms were aligned. In that period of time, there weren't just nine planets, there were ten. Today's asteroid belt, between Mars and Jupiter, used to be a planet named Aethen, a place of great peace and learning, with architectural feats that rivaled the Moon Palace's. Aethen was the only planet that was not allied.. It remained closed to the public, and ambassadors from other planets were often treated with a cool politeness. The Aethenian people were so eloquent and well-versed, that often ambassadors found themselves tongue tied and returned to their planets with out ever accomplishing more than getting their heads turned." She paused a moment. "Aethen was ruled by two monarchs, King Zuek and Queen Aera. It's believed that the Aethen society was the basis of the ancient myths. Earth was the only real planet that ever managed to make any impression on Aethen, only because the King's youngest son, Endymion, became fast friends with the young princess of Aethen. Her name was Aphrodina, often just called Aphrona, and she was one of the most lovely young ladies of the Millennium Court."
"I remember her now.." Serena said softly. "She used to come with Endymion to see the moon, .. I was so jealous of her at first, because I thought she was the one who Endymion loved." She glanced at him, surprise on his face. It was obvious he'd never sensed it. "But she was so straightforward yet so complicated.. She had one of the purest hearts I'd ever met. And when I found that the only relationship between them was friendship, we became such good friends.."
"Right. She and your mother, Serenity, got on very well together. Anyways.. It was often rumored that a strange power would sometimes come from Aethen. Of course, we tried to convince the King and Queen to let us know what it was, but they were just as clueless as we were. It was our ignorance that would become our downfall, because Aphrona's handmaiden at that time was a young woman who was obsessed with Endymion. Her name was Beryl." Everyone gasped, but Luna's stern look shut them up quickly. "Beryl grew up in Aphrona's shadow. She envied Aphrodina, because the Princess was better in everything the two did together. And when it was Aphrodina, not Beryl, who supposedly won Endymion's heart, she grew into a rage. She didn't know that Aphrona had no feelings whatsoever for Endymion.. She just saw how close they were and decided it was love, and that she'd had enough. And that's how the Moon Kingdom's fall was started. Beryl encountered and pledged her service to the most evil being of all time, the Darkness. She would become the Darkness' pawn if the Darkness would destroy the planet of Aethen. And it was so. But, for some reason, the Princess, Aphrona, had been sealed in a pod and set adrift in space. She landed on Earth, with no memory of who she was or how she had come there, even though she had awesome powers. The only reason Earth remained inhabited to the end was the fact she was there." Ami looked as if she'd just been inspired.
"That makes sense.." She said, leaning forwards on the table. "The word "Athena" is not Greek in origin. In fact, its very origins are shady. And the original goddess Athena was said to be the incarnation of the Great Goddess, or the creator and maintainer of all of reality." She smiled, and Lita blinked.
"Thank you.. Ami.." She turned back to Luna. "Luna, is that the end?"
"Basically. Darkness, with Beryl as his pawn, attacked each planet, scouring the life from them and destroying the Lunar Dome, the magical Dome that enabled all the planets to be inhabitable. And then he turned to Earth, and finally the Moon. Sailor Aethena was on the Moon, fighting, when she was killed. That's why she was reincarnated also.. Darkness, and Beryl, were sealed away. And that's that.."
"Don't forget that Darkness did not reveal his true nature to Beryl." Artemis said after a momentary pause. "He called himself Queen Metallia, for Beryl had a deep mistrust of men, and that was how she gained her power. When we defeated her in Antarctica on Point D**, the power of the Silver Crystal sealed him away again. It seems he's only recently broken the seal." (( ** Point D is from the manga.. that's the Point where Sailor Moon and Endymion were killed, and eventually resurrected by the Silver Imperial Crystal. Endymion helped Sailor Moon defeat Metallica, even though the evil queen had covered all of the Earth... ))
"So, we have fought him before, only he was Queen Metallica, or at least was pretending to be Metallica." Mina said, and Artemis nodded.
"Right you are. That's why he seems to have a major grudge against us.." Artemis said again. Serena suddenly let out a choked sob, burying her head in Darien's shirt. He put his arms around her.
"What's wrong Serena??" Lita asked, drawn to her feet. Serena raised her eye, her azure eyes filled with tears.
"It's just that.. all the memories I've been receiving because of remembering, .. We were such good friends back then.. We trusted each other, and the only people that I trusted more were you, my mother, and Endymion.. And now.. now she hates me!!" She closed her eyes, and the memory of Aethena's face came back to her, how it had twisted in anger and hate, and how she had spat out the words 'I don't want to be on your 'team''.. The memory faded.. 'I don't want to have anything to do with you at all. Get it??' Her voice echoed in her mind and Serena stifled a sob.
"Now she doesn't even want to have anything to do with us! Why?" Serena cried, and Darien tightened his hold on her lovingly. Serena thanked the Lord for the support he gave her; she didn't know how she'd make it through half the things she had to go through without his love and care to sustain her.
"She seems to hate ME really bad.." Lita said grumpily, and shrugged. "I wonder why."
"I don't know. But she said 'I have other prerogatives..' I wonder what she meant." Mina mused, looking up at the ceiling, her cerulean eyes thoughtful..
"Did you see the way she looked at Darkness? Almost like.. like she loved him.." Rei said thoughtfully. "Hm.. I wonder who Darkness is in his human form.."
"Well if we knew that, we'd know who Aethena was: his girlfriend." Lita said after that. Serena was looking at them, her brow furrowed in thought, a mystified look on her face. Lita noticed, and laid a hand on her friend's shoulder. "Are you OK Serena??"
"Um.. oh.." Serena suddenly snapped out of them, looking at them a little confusedly. "Oh yeah.. um.. I'm fine Lita.. Thanks.. I.. just drifted off for a moment.." She shook her head. "I don't know guys.. I think I might be going crazy.." She sighed. "I've had the funniest feeling that something's not right.. Like, I've forgotten something, and I can't remember what it was... It's so frustrating!"
"Serena, maybe you should go home and get to bed early tonight.." Mina said worriedly, and Serena thought for a moment, and then nodded.
"Thank you Mina.. I.. I think I will.." She stood, and Reenie jumped up and grabbed her hand.
"I'll go with you Serena. I'm tired too.." She said, with a great big yawn. Serena smiled down at the little girl, it was so obvious that she wasn't tired at all, but Serena said nothing. It touched her that the little girl wanted to be with her.
"Ok squirt.. We'll see you guys, ok? Take care..." She took Reenie's hand and the two walked off, down the stairs, the sun reflecting in their eyes as they disappeared down the road.
"Wow.. is it just me, or are those two so much closer?" Mina said amazedly.
"It's not just you." Ami said, and the others nodded.

Chapter Three; Tuesday Afternoon, Crystal Skies Park
Belle breathed in deeply, relaxing back against the oak tree and staring up through the leaves, wisps of blue sky seen through the holes when the wind whistled through the clearing. She sighed, tears in her eyes as she gripped the pen in her hand.
She lifted it up. It resembled a shepherd's crook, only arched up over, one and half hand lengths long. An amethyst stone decorated the middle of it. It was black, jet black, just like it would be when she transformed. And the top that twisted over popped off to reveal a pen. So she could always have it right near her. She concentrated a moment, on the ethereal waves around it and changed them slightly. There, now Sailor Moon and the other Scouts wouldn't be able to recognize it as her crook. It would ring a bell in their mind, but until she transformed in front of them, they wouldn't connect.
Her newfound powers amazed her. She found she was seeing a whole new world, an exciting and ever-changing world. Simply by gazing at people for a moment she could tell things about them they probably wouldn't even know. What they were, good or evil, in their soul, and what sort of powers they had. Most people were a plain white in that area that showed their individual powers, but some had sparkles, revealing a pure, strong heart. And others, like Serena, glowed iridescent.
She had learned to be careful of those who sparkled strongly or glowed. They could see into her too, they knew she was different. So she changed the ethereal vibes around her, made her the most plain, boring sensing person around. One lady had come up to her and confessed she was strange.
"You have no aura.." The lady said. "Maybe you're dead inside, darling what's wrong??" The lady had apparently thought that she had no aura because she was emotionally devastated. Jake had found the whole thing angering, but Belle had laughed all the way through it. If only the woman knew just how much aura she had. She was sorely tempted to let down her ethereal guard, let her aura flood the other's mind, but she resisted. Jake was with her, and she didn't want trouble.
Jake.. she didn't know how to act around him anymore. She felt so strongly about him, she didn't want to do what she had to.. But she had to fight him. As the Beautiful Warrior, she had to defend this Earth. But that didn't mean she had to like it.
She sighed, staring at her pen, tempted, oh so tempted to chuck it away from her. Let some poor innocent soul find it, use it as a pen.. But no, she couldn't.. She just couldn't...
She had to fight. The time was now to find her destiny. She had to fight for the Weaver's sake, for reality. She couldn't let the gorgeous, pure patterns of this world become tarnished, it just went against everything she was, everything she had ever learned or believed in. So she would fight. Even thought she fought against her own heart and feelings, she was the Warrior Beautiful and she would fight.
She sighed again, shaking her head,.. She couldn't believe she was having this conversation with herself! She! A Sailor Scout!.. Just a few days ago, her only concerns were Jake and her family. Now she had the whole world to worry about, including her own life..
"I can't handle this!" She suddenly cried.
"Handle what Belle?" The voice startled to her, and she flew to her feet, instinctively hiding her pen. Serena stepped out of the bushes where she'd apparently been lurking. Anger flared in Belle's eyes.
"None of your business!! Didn't your mother ever teach you it's rude to spy on people?? Especially when they didn't want you to even be near them??" Belle cried, fear making her tones colored with anger. Serena blinked, drew back in surprise. She couldn't believe Belle was saying that!
"Belle, I'm your friend.. I want to know what's troubling you.. What did your father do to you?" She asked softly. Belle stared at her. 'Now she's all worried about me? Since when?? Geez louise she's so annoying.. Just like Darien, no wonder they're together.' Belle looked away.
"Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Now, if you'll excuse me." And with that, Belle turned and fled from Serena. The wind whipped through the trees as the blonde haired girl watched Belle go, tears in her eyes, on her cheeks.
'Why won't you trust me Belle? What have I done to make you so afraid of me? What happened? No.. what did your father do? What did Jake say about me? Did he lie about me? Oh kami.. what's wrong?? Why can't you just TRUST me for once? I'd never hurt you..'
"Belle can't you see I'd never hurt you??" Serena said sadly and then turned and walked away, the opposite way Belle had gone, her shoulders slumped sadly.

Chapter Four; Apartment Thirteen, Tuesday evening
Belle had bought a small tub to sit on Jake's balcony, and had filled it with rich potting soil. She'd bought flowers too. Primroses, tulips, daffodils, an herb called pink splash, and even some forget-me-nots. She loved having her own little garden, loved being free to work on it any time she pleased.
She heard the door click open and shut, heard Jake whistling a tune. She stiffened, and then forced herself to loosen up, even as a smile of delight and an expression of worry fought for her face. She shoved down the worry, smiled and turned, brushing her nose with her gloves, leaving a small smudge of dirt on the end of it.
Jake laughed when he saw it, and she blushed. "Hey-lo.. Miss Gardener." He squatted down next to her, and she hugged him tightly. He smiled and kissed her cheek. "Hey, do you know, you've got something right there?" He touched the end of her nose, and she laughed.
"Let me guess.. dirt huh?" Jake nodded.
"Yep." She sighed and cleaned her nose off with a towel she had nearby and then looked up at him. He was touching the plants and smelling the flowers, looking impressed. "Wow.. you've really got the green thumb. I had a cactus.. They're supposed to be easier than pie to take care of right? It died the next day.." He sighed and then laughed. "But look at your garden.. You've barely had it planted a day and it's growing like jungle!"
She smiled and blushed. She didn't tell him she'd been helping them along by altering their threads, taking out the ones that would potentially harm her plants. Even if she hadn't, she still thought she'd done a good job planting them all..
"Thank you." She smiled and he lifted the brim of the straw hat she was wearing.
"What are you wearing?" She grabbed the hat back, jamming it back on her head.
"It's a hat!! A straw gardening hat.. haven't you ever seen one of these?" She rolled her eyes in mock exasperation, and gestured at the clothes she was wearing. A pair of bibbed overall shorts, and a ash gray T-shirt. "And these are my gardening clothes. They're made so it's ok if I get dirt on them.." And lastly she held up her hands. "And these are gardening gloves. My mother.. gave them to me.. when I was a little girl.." The mention of her mother brought tears of hurt to her eyes and she looked away.
"She loved you?" Jake said, amazed.
"Once.." Belle said softly. "Once, when we were still one of the richest families in Tokyo. Then, my father made a bad investment, one that my mother TOLD him not to make. He ignored her, and lost all of our money, and our house. We had to move into an apartment, live off our savings.." She blinked back tears. "From there it just got worse and worse, until even Welfare was afraid to take us on.."
She shook her head, managing a smile. "I'm.. I'm sorry.." She shook her head. "So.. how was your day at work?" He smiled at her. She was so strong, determined.. He loved her for it too.
"It was ok.. I got a lot of work done." He said, thinking of the fact he'd finally managed to find out who Sailor Moon was. He'd laid the last of his plans tonight. They'd take fruit tomorrow. "oh.. I heard a rumor.." He said, looking at her out of the side of his eyes. "That there was a dance going to be held this Friday.. Tell me,.. did you know anything about that?" She blushed.
"Yes.." She said softly. "I'm sorry.. I didn't think you wanted to take me, and I didn't want to trouble you.." She sighed. "I was afraid that if I asked for anything that you'd take me back to my parents." She had stood when he had started indoors, and now she turned from him, her eyes almost shut as she looked out over the city.
He looked at her for a moment, and then strode over to her, taking her in his arms. "Don't EVER" He said with soft vehemence "think I'd EVER let that.. that.. BASTARD touch you EVER again.. You're mine and I'll never let you go.."
She looked a little stunned, but touched deeply, and she turned to him, burying her face in his chest. He held her, a little tinge of fear in his heart. Right then.. she had looked as if she was going to disappear..
He held her tightly, protectively, as he kissed the top of her head.
"I'm gonna take you to that dance, and you're going to be the belle of the ball.." He smiled. "No pun intended of course." She giggled, and then lifted her head, eyes wide.
"Thank you.." She said softly, and he smiled.
"Of course."

Chapter Five; Wednesday after school, downtown Tokyo outside of Juuban School
"Oooooooh man I got a fifteen on my teeeeeeeessssssst.." Serena wailed. "This is the first test I've failed all year Rei is gonna KILL me!!!!.." Ami looked at her friend, and rolled her eyes.
"I told you you had to study Serena. It's your own fault you chose to go have a sundae with Darien and Reenie instead of studying with us! You could have gotten a perfect score like I did." She flashed her test paper, with a giant 100 written across the top with big red letters. Serena wailed again, sweatdropping.
"My mum is going to kill me tooooooo!!!" Lita and Belle were walking a little ways behind them. Belle was listening to the other one, copying down a recipe for a killer tofu Lita knew how to make. Serena smiled. Belle was still very mistrustful of them, even though she didn't avoid them anymore. And, Melvin had even managed to get her to tell him to "get a life" during lunch, making the whole table laugh..
"Really? I never would have thought you'd put the flour after the eggs.. Usually it's the other way around isn't it?" Belle was saying. Lita nodded and smiled.
"That's the secret to a really great tofu! Whip the eggs BEFORE you put the flour in it instead of after. Then it'll be much more creamy tasting and oh so delicious!" Lita said happily, flinging her arm into the air. Belle ducked to avoid it, almost crashing into a tree but Lita grabbed her and hauled her upright, sweatdropping. "S-sorry about.. that.." She laughed embarassedly.
"oooh.." Belle waved her off. "That's ok.." She said, also sweatdropping.
Suddenly Mina, Molly, and Melvin ran up. "Hey guys!"
"Hi!" they chorused as the group of giggling girls and one guy walked down the street. Rei and Reenie joined them. Belle looked at Ami. "Where is everyone going?"
"Oh, we're all going to go to Rei's temple to study for a while. Molly and Melvin are going to an ice cream store near there, so we're just gonna walk with them. You're welcome to come if you want." Belle thought for a moment, and then shook her head.
"Nah, I'm going home. See you tomorrow guys." And without even waiting for them to say good-bye, she ran off down the street, white blonde hair gleaming in the sun. Serena frowned.
"I wonder where she's off to so soon.. Guys, I'm going to go talk to her alright? Tell Luna I'm sorry and I'll make it up to her ok?" Serena said, and the other girls nodded. "See ya!" Serena yelled and ran after Belle. Rei paused.
"Guys,.. I've got a BAD feeling about this..."
"You're not the only one Rei.." Mina said softly. "Let's follow them, ok?" The others nodded, and Reenie hopped onto Lita's back for a piggy back ride as they too ran after the others.
"I wonder where they're going.." Molly said with a worried frown, but Melvin dragged her on.

Chapter Six; Wednesday after school, downtown Tokyo
'Where did she go?' Serena huffed, and paused for a moment, looking around. Belle had suddenly kind of just disappeared. Serena frowned in disappointment. 'Darn! I want to know where she and Jake are living!' Suddenly, she was hit by that feeling that.. she knew where they were.. yet she didn't...
"Kami!!" Serena burst out in exasperation, until suddenly, a jingle caught her eye. Oh! There was Belle! She'd just come out of a small gardening store, with a small bag of plant feeders in her hands. Serena ducked out of Belle's sight, not knowing why but feeling the urge not to let Belle see she was following her.
Suddenly, she caught sight of a shadow following Belle. "Oh no!" She gasped, a feeling of de ja vu sweeping over her as she dashed after Belle. "BELLE! Belle! WATCH OUT!! Belle!!"
Belle turned to look at her as Serena gestured. The shadow had materialized, and was looming over Belle. Any moment, it would pounce and Belle would be dead!! She glanced around. There was no one watching except Belle herself. She flung her hand up.
"MOON ETERNAL POWER!"
Nothing happened. Suddenly, she found the road was swirling, a black force field rising up around her into a tight bubble. She screamed, "BELLE HELP ME!!" But Belle was laughing, a maniacal look in her eyes.
Something was wrong... that wasn't.. That wasn't Belle! "AKU RYO TAI SAN!" Rei's voice cut through the silence. "Evil spirits, be GONE!" A paper flew out, hitting Belle's fore head, and the impostor Belle screamed and slowly shaped herself.. itself into some other form.
"Darkness!" Serena gasped. Darkness shook himself off, laughing as he turned and gestured, and a black force field erected between the Scouts and him and Serena, cutting them off from doing anything but yelling and pounding fruitlessly. "Leave them alone!!" Serena cried and Darkness looked at her.
"Oh don't worry Serena.. or should I say, Sailor Moon.. I've no intention at all of hurting them.. When it's YOU I'm after!" He laughed again crazily. Insanely.. Serena drew back in fear as he laughed, gesturing. Her bubble rose off the ground. "I think we'll take this some place.. more private.."
Black mists surrounded him and Serena, and the world around them began to twist and fade. "NO SERENA!!" Both of their attentions were drawn to the source of the voice just as the world around them faded. Belle flung her books at Darkness, glaring at him. He burnt the books into crisps, but strangely, did nothing.
"Leave Belle, right now, GO!" He commanded. "You're in terrible danger!"
"NO!" Belle yelled, moving in front of Serena, her arms extended. "I won't let you hurt her! You'll have to go through me!" Darkness moved as if to throw her from the small area, but it was too late. They were gone from the street.
The Scouts broke through the force field, which disappeared, just in time to watch the bubble containing Serena, Belle, and Darkness whiz up into the air and disappear from sight.
"It's Scout time!" Rei said. "We've got to track them and save Belle and Serena!"
"Right!" The others agreed.
"MOON PRISM POWER"
"MARS CRYSTAL POWER"
"VENUS CRYSTAL POWER"
"JUPITER CRYSTAL POWER"
"MERCURY CRYSTAL POWER"
And then, all together: "TRANSFORM!"
"Right!" Minimoon said. "Let's go save my momma!"
And then they took off, dashing after the bubble, Mercury's visor flashing..

Chapter Seven; Wednesday night, Hoshino Tower
Belle groaned and slowly raised her head, pushing herself from the cold stone floor and into a sitting position. Serena had woken up before her, and was already standing, looking around their location. Belle mutely rose and did the same.
It resembled a large cave, with disgusting stalactites hanging from the ceiling. The floor and walls were black, like obsidian, or like they'd been scorched. There was an aura of evil filling the very air, and the air, their surrounds were slightly warped, like they'd been hit with a devastatingly huge blast of energy so dark, so evil it perverted their true nature. There were no windows, no doors. There was no escape.
"Belle?" Serena turned to the other girl, who was shivering now, Serena assumed in fear. Serena was wrong.. Belle wasn't scared, she was angry. Belle's eyes snapped up, met Serena's. Serena looked at Belle, strong suddenly, no trace of the wailing cry baby left in her. "Belle don't worry.. I won't let him hurt you.. " She smiled. "Ok?"
Belle nodded. 'But how Serena? becoming Sailor Moon? Not even your powers are enough to render the tapestry of his existence undone. I'm sorry Serena... But you can't protect me because you're too weak.' She looked down. 'I have to protect myself... against the man who means all the world to me.'
Suddenly, there was a crackling sound, and a door formed on the other side of the cave-room. Serena moved in front of Belle protectively as Darkness walked through the door.
"Belle, go right now." He said, looking at her. But she shook her head.
"No Darkness. I'm not leaving either of you. If you hurt each other, it'll be at the risk of hurting me too." Darkness looked torn as he stared at Belle, eyes pleading. Suddenly, he shook his head.
"I can't allow that." He gestured, and Belle flew back with a cry, a protective bubble forming around her. She looked around her small prison with wide, enraged eyes, floating ten feet above the ground.
"Damn you!" She yelled, slamming her fists against the hard bubble barrier. "Let me OUT right NOW Darkness!! RIGHT NOW!" But Darkness and Serena ignored her.
"There.. now Let's get down to business.. Sailor Moon." Darkness said. "Only one person is leaving this room alive." There was pause, before he added, almost like a threat, "And whoever that is determines the fate of the world."
'Damned if I do, damned if I don't..' Belle thought furiously, anger clouding her vision, clutching her transformation wand. 'No..' She thought. 'Not yet.'
"MOON ETERNAL POWER" Serena cried, and this time it worked, and in a flash, Eternal Sailor Moon stood before them, white wings sparkling as she looked at Darkness. "I'm ready."
"Good.." Darkness said with a vicious little grin. "Good... Now, DIE!"
And then the battle began.
Sailor Moon leaped over Darkness' blast, crying out "MOON HONEY THERAPY KISS". Darkness also dodged the attack, aiming a bunch of smaller beams at Sailor Moon. She ducked, a cry as one of her wings was mangled by a miss fired beam.
She leaped into the air, yelling "MOON HONEY THERAPY KISS DESTROY" Darkness slapped the attack away, it hit the wall, exploded but didn't do any harm..
"WATCH OUT SAILOR MOON!" Belle yelled, seeing Darkness' trick. Sailor Moon twisted out of the way of his blade just in time as he appeared right over her, bringing it down, clanging on the stone floor.
And then the Holy Grail's handle had lengthened, into a sort of staff. Sailor Moon raised it and yelled "DOUBLE MOON THERAPY KISS", and Darkness was flung back against the wall.
He leaped to his feet, shoving off the wall and flying at Sailor Moon. She raised it just in time to block the blade from slicing her head off at the shoulders, and twisted, sending both her staff and the blade out of their hands, onto the floor. Darkness rolled for his sword while Sailor Moon grabbed her staff, and both attacked at the same time, the beams of white and black meeting in the middle and exploding.
Outside, the sky darkened as an incredible explosion rocked the city. "Hurry guys!!" Sailor Jupiter yelled. "I think they're in trouble!!" The Scouts ran on.
Belle, in her bubble, felt none of the searing energy let loose by the connection of light and dark attacks, but she had to shield her eyes against the glare.
Darkness and Sailor Moon had both been knocked flat, but Sailor Moon had received the brunt of the repercussions. She lay on her back, eyes closed, one wing twisted underneath her. Darkness rose, grabbed his blade, and slowly walked over to Sailor Moon.
"Well Sailor Moon, it's time for you to die." And then he raised his blade up in the air. It glistened cruelly as it slide gracefully through the air, arching towards Sailor Moon's heart.
"NOOOOOO!!!!" Belle's scream brought Darkness' attention back to her.
"Belle?" He whispered. Something had come over her.. she was glowing, a shifting iridescent color. She had something in her hand, and as she raised it over her head Darkness finally realized what it was, with a wide-eyed gasp of horror.
"AETHENA SPECTRUM POWER" she cried, and suddenly her aura took her over, her clothes disappearing from her thin frame. The pen lengthened, became her crook, and she took it, spinning around. Her hair loosened from the braid, and fell down to the back of her knees, whipping in an unfelt breeze. She spun with her crook up, and ribbons shot out from the middle of it, wrapping around her and forming her body suit. She twisted back around, and then her outfit was complete.
Stunned, Darkness watched in horror as Belle.. no.. Aethena, raised her crook. "TAPESTRY TEAR" wrenched the very air around her, and a fissure opened around the bubble. And then, in the next instant, there was a giant flash of light, and Aethena dropped to the ground lightly as a cat.
"LOOM TRANSCENDENCE" she cried, spinning, and held her crook up, her tiara and eyes centered in the middle of the arch. Her tiara flashed, formed a beam to the crook, and a star of light formed in the circle, intensified, and then shot out, taking the shape of a majestic swan in flight. Darkness dodged it, and fell backwards, to his knees.
"Belle? Belle, please.. say.. say you're not her!" Aethena looked away, devastated also.
"Jake it is me. And.. I can't let you take over the Earth.. can't you see?" She looked back at him, tears in her eyes behind the mask, shining in the black light. "Please stop right now Jake.. I DON'T want to hurt you.. Please just give up!!"
Even as she begged, pleaded with him, something had come over him, and he drew back, snarling. "I knew it! I'm such a fool.. I thought.. just maybe you'd be different! NO! You're all a bunch of back stabbing leeches! I was a fool to ... to let myself feel that way about you!!"
"No Jake please! It wasn't my choice!!" She reached out towards him, stung by his words, but he recoiled as if she was something beyond foul, all trace of gentleness gone from his frame, burning hatred and fury in his eyes as he let out a beam of dark energy that took Aethena by surprise, flying back with a cry of pain.
"I'm going to kill everyone on this Earth! I'm going to leave total Darkness in my wake! I'm going to make every one pay for treating me like they have! I'm going to KILL EVERYONE!!"
"NOOOOOO! Jake NOOO Please NO!!" Aethena cried, struggling to her feet, reaching towards him, but he stared at her with such contempt that it brought her to her feet in rage.
"If you won't stop I'll make you! I care about you but I won't let you destroy everyone just because of that!! LOOM TRANSCENDENCE!" The swan took him off guard again, knocking him back again. He struggled to his feet, but a beam had formed around her, its source Aethena's crook.
Tears were streaming down her cheeks even as she forced more and more good energy down upon him. Tears of self hatred as she listened to him crying out in pain. And then, she stopped, collapsing to the ground in helpless sobs. Sailor Moon stood.
"Belle? My god! Jake too?? No!" She gasped and knelt beside Aethena, who slapped her away. "Belle please don't.. I'm trying to help you!" Aethena raised her head.
"You can't help me!! Nothing can help me!!" She cried again, and Sailor Moon was appalled at the total desolation in the other Scout's eyes. Sailor Moon stood, looking at Darkness, who was struggling to his feet.
"You did this to her!" She yelled, and her staff glowed. "MOON HONEY THERAPY KISS!!! DESTROY HIM!!" Darkness raised his blade, a dark shield forming around him as he fought the effects of the beam of light, perspiration on both of their foreheads.
"LEAVE ME ALONE AND DIE!!" Darkness yelled, sending a beam of black energy pulsing back up around Sailor Moon's attack, and disappeared into her staff. And then, her staff exploded, sending her flying backwards, the Holy Grail clanging to the ground useless..
Aethena pushed herself to her knees, holding out her hands. "Please Darkness.. Please don't.. don't.. I don't want to hurt you!"
"NO!!" Darkness cried, throwing a piece of rock at Aethena. It hit her in the arm, a long thin ruby line appearing, but she didn't flinch. It was as if she was numb. He looked at her, and for a moment, his eyes were enveloped in hers. Then he snarled, his face contorting in fury. "I HATE YOU! Don't you understand?? LEAVE ME ALONE!"
Aethena stared at him, deep shuddering gasps wracking her form. "Jake.. No.. please.. no.. NO!!!" She collapsed back to the ground as if she'd been hit with a mortal blow.
There was silence for a moment in the small room and then Darkness rose. "I will NOT be defeated by anything! I will not let anything stand in my way! Not YOU not the Scouts, not Belle!! I'm going to destroy this world!!" Aethena watched him come dully, all hope seemingly disappeared from her limbs.
She lowered her head, resting it on her arms, calm, accepting of the fate that loomed above her. Tears in his own eyes, tears of betrayal and pain, Darkness raised his blade, and prepared to strike.
Sailor Moon fought to get to her feet, trying with all her strength to stand. But she was too weak! Tears of frustration were on her cheeks, and she cried out "someone SAVE Her PLEAASE!!"

Chapter Eight; Wednesday night, Hoshino Tower
"Something big's going on in there!" Mars said. "I can feel two.. no, Three powers battling within!!" She frowned in concentration as the other Scouts looked at her.
"Uh oh.. What do you mean, third power, Mars??" Jupiter asked.
"One is definitely the Darkness.. it's pure evil. Another is Sailor Moon.. But the third.. I've never felt anything like this. Her power is tremendous.. Almost as big as Sailor Moon or Darkness'! But completely different.. It's not evil or good.. It's kind of neutral.." Mars said, shaking her head puzzledly. "I can't make sense of it.."
"I wonder how the other power got in there! We've been out here for ages, and we still can't get in there..." Venus said, frustratedly. "I can't understand it.."
"Maybe it didn't GET in.. Maybe the third power was already in there.." Mercury said logically. The Scouts turned to her.
"WHAT??" Just then Tuxedo Mask arrived, his face pale.
"Where are they?" He asked. "Up there, in the Tower? Is there any way to get in? Do we know what's happening?? We have to help her! I can't loose her to that.. jerk!"
"Belle, Serena, and Darkness are all in the Tower. I was saying, maybe BELLE is the third power! Maybe she's really Sailor Aethena! It would make sense..." Everyone stared at Mercury.
"Yes.." Mars suddenly breathed. "That would make perfect sense! I've always known she was different somehow.. Some way, like us.. almost, but I could never.. never connect who she was!"
"Her power is the power of reality, right?" Minimoon said. "And reality is a kind of balance between good and bad.. So she'd be.. new.. new-troll.. Like you said Mars."
"Wow, good job Sailor Minimoon. Nice thinking." Venus said with a smile.
Suddenly Mars screamed. "OH NO!! Sailor Moon and Belle are in terrible trouble!! My sixth sense is flooding my mind with signs of trouble! I think they.. they may be dead..."
"We have to get in there and fast!" Jupiter cried.
"But how can we?? You both attacked it, and didn't make a dent!!" Minimoon cried. "Mommy please hang on!!" Tuxedo Mask threw a rose at the obsidian structure, but the stem broke, falling to the ground. He attacked it with his cane as Jupiter and Mars attacked too..
"NOTHING!!" Venus cried, close to tears. Mars was almost hyperventilating.
"Guys WE HAVE TO GET IN THERE RIGHT NOW!!!!"
"Let me." Uranus said, and the Inners turned to look at her. She smirked, pulling out something wrapped in a velvet cloak. "The Queen sends her regards. And let me show you, the blade that belongs to the Sailors, to protect the Princess in time of need, and to keep the universe safe!" She dropped the covering as Pluto, Saturn, and Neptune appeared, all geared for battle.
A sparkling sword greeting their eyes. It was a stone gray color, long and heavy looking. A clear prismic crystal was set in the very blade, while the cross hilt twisted around a beautiful clear circular piece of a dull glass shard. Ten stones were set around the glass shard. Sapphire, opal, pearl, ruby, amethyst, emerald, hematite, jade, aquamarine, teal. Mercury, Venus, Moon, Mars, Aethena, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto. They formed a protective circle around the glass shard.
"I give you Excaliber, the Stone Soul Sword of the Moon!" Uranus smiled daredevilishly, and then flew forward, driving the sword down in a vicious sweep. They watched, almost in awe, as the heavy stone sword sliced through the obsidian with the ease of a hot knife through butter. And then, Uranus kicked the wall, and a block, forming a door, fell in.
"Well, what are you waiting for?" Neptune asked as she leaped past the astonished Sailors.
"Let's go save Sailor Moon!" Saturn said as she too disappeared into the building.
"Well you heard the girls.. Let's go!" Mars said, and the Scouts surged into the small room. "The stairs!" She said, pointing, and they leaped up the stairs a flight a time, pushing their speed to the ultimate, Uranus and Jupiter, both holding the heavy stone sword, pulled ahead, taking turns slicing through the obsidian walls that blocked their paths. And then they were in the main room.
Reacting on pure instinct, Jupiter flew forward and yelled "OAK REVOLUTION!" followed closely by "WORLD SHAKING" and "DEAD SCREAM".. Darkness looked up just in time to see the storm coated planet ball knock him away from Aethena. Against the far wall, Sailor Moon nearly cried in relief.
"Sailor Moon!" Mercury and Minimoon instantly ran to their leader, Saturn close on their heels. "Hold still Sailor Moon while I heal you.. alright?" Saturn instructed, and Sailor Moon nodded weakly, smiling as the healing waves swept through her.
As soon as she was healed she leapt to her feet and dashed over to Aethena, who was sitting up, but alone. Jupiter looked at Sailor Moon warningly, but Moon smiled reassuringly. She dropped to her knees and threw her arms around Aethena, drawing the other into a protective embrace.
Darkness had disappeared, and slowly the Tower turned back to normal. Aethena was sobbing, crying her heart out it seemed in Sailor Moon's embrace. There were tears in Sailor Moon's eyes.
"It's alright Belle.. I promise, it'll be alright.."

Chapter Nine; Tsukino residence, Wednesday night
Serena kept her arm around Belle, who hadn't said a single word since they'd left the Tower. Serena took the girl, numbed with devastating grief, home to her house, telling her Mom and Dad Belle was going to stay for the night.
"We'll have to figure out where to hide her.. We can't let her go back to Jake, he'll kill her for sure..." Rei said tiredly, rubbing her forehead. Serena exited her room, where Belle had wept herself to sleep before falling into a deep, troubled slumber, and sat down next to the fire priestess. Rei put her hand on Serena's knee comfortingly.
"She can stay with me for a while." Lita said. "I'm all alone anyways.." She said with an easy smile, trying to lighten the mood. It didn't help much, everyone was somber, quiet after the day's happenings.
"I can't believe BELLE is Aethena.." Mina said with a sigh. "And Jake Darkness! It's like out of some romance movie.. They have to fight each other but still love each other." She sighed again, and the others sweatdropped.
"Only this is real," Amara's voice brought them crashing back to reality. "And we have a problem on our hands."
"What do you mean Amara? Do you think Belle might try and HURT us??" Serena asked with wide eyes.
Michelle shook her head. "Not us, herself. I don't know if you've noticed, but the man she loves just basically told her he hates her. She may be suicidal."
"Oh my god!" Serena burst out, her hands flying to her mouth. "no! But.. but.. doesn't she realize how much we're all worried about her? She's got friends here, she can't die on us! We need her!"
"But SHE doesn't know that.." Mina said.
"Serena, how would you feel if Darien died?" Trista said suddenly. Serena looked at her, flabbergasted. "Would you want to live at all? No matter how many friends you have?" Serena thought for a moment.
"No.. I guess I wouldn't."
"So why should she be any different? She LOVES him.. Now she's faced with the prospect that she has to KILL him.. Of course she's going to be devastated."
Suddenly, there was a crash from the bathroom. Serena flung open the door to her room. Belle was gone. "Belle!" She whirled and was the first one to the bathroom door, flinging it open.
Belle lay on the floor, her blood pooling around her, gashes on her wrists. "Belle NO!" Serena screamed, running forward to lift the girl's head from her own blood.
"Call 911!" Lita yelled, and Rei ran to do it.
"God Belle don't die on us.. Please don't DIE..." Serena sobbed into the other girl's hair. "Please if not for me.. for Jake.. think of him.. you have to stay alive for him! You have to live for him! To save him so he doesn't die!! Please!!!"
Michelle let out a small scream and buried her head in Amara's chest, and Mina grabbed Reenie, taking her from the room. Ami moved in, wrapping gauze around Belle's wrists, her face pale. None of them could believe she'd actually tried to die. They'd all thought Amara and Michelle were being dramatic.
Belle's eyes fluttered open, and she looked up at Serena. For one moment, something like thanks crossed her eyes, then she blinked and whispered. "Let me die.. please..."
"NO!" Serena yelled. "I'm not letting you die!! You're staying alive Belle! You HAVE to!!" Belle's eyes filled with tears and slowly, they closed, her head slumping to the side.
"BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLEEE!!" Serena screamed, as if her own life were being wrenched from her soul. "Don't DIE Belle please don't die.. Please!!"
'Please Belle..... don't.. die...'
'I thought you were different.. I shouldn't have let.. let my.. self feel the way about you it did.. Back stabber! .. Leech.. I hate you..'
'We just want to thank you...'
'I don't want to be part of your "team".. leave me alone!'
'I hate you Aphrona!! Curse you! You'll feel my pain I swear it. You.. you.. bi-.. The only person I ever loved was him and you stole him from me! I hate you!'
'But I didn't!! I don't love him... Ariana please!! I'm your best friend believe me!'
'Why should I believe you?.. You, back stabber?'
'Back stabber...'
'Back stabber...'
'I hate you!!...'
'I hate you!!...'
Sobs.. 'No please.. Don't.. don't hate me.. what did I do? I didn't do anything please don't hate me...' Sob.. sobbing.. It's the curse! No one believes me!..'
'ARIANA!!'
'JAKE!!'
'My best friend!'
'My only love...'
'Don't hate me please..'
'Don't hate me please..'
'I didn't mean to! It's not my fault!'
'Please don't hate me!!'
'I hate you.'
'Please.. *sobs* Don't hate me.. I just want to love you!...'
'I hate you...'
'No!!!! Ariana! Jake! Noo!!'
'Don't die on me! please don't die!'
'Let me die Serena please! I just want to die! I just.. want to ... die..'
'die..'
'die..'
'I just want to die!'

~*~*~*~
And so ends Part Three.. I hope you're enjoying this as much as I'm enjoying writing this.. ^^ Well.. The next part is the final part of this Fanfic. It's called "Blade of Aethena"..
I know.. I know... what's next? Abuse.. attempted rape.. suicide.. Hasn't that girl been through enough? Oh don't worry... it gets better.. *evil grin* Mwahahaha! You're just gonna have to stick around for Part Four!!..
Lady Amber
Remember! CandC go to amby-chan@sailormoon.com!
Oh, and guys.. Go here: http://www.geocities.com/frozen_memories542/ajupaethena.html
For Aethena's bio! :D