Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Some Bruises Don't Fade ❯ Blade of Aethena ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Some Bruises Don't Fade
Lady Amber

Well here's the last part of my fanfic. So.. enjoy! I'm sorry this one is really super long. It's making up for Two and Three being so short! Oh, don't worry, there will be an epilogue.

Part Four: Blade of Aethena

Prechapter; Tokyo Hospital, Wednesday night/early Tuesday morning
'I can't believe this..' Her heart was pounding, rapid and light, her head felt strangely detached, and a little dizzy. The world around her seemed to be in slow motion. Her mother screaming, looking horrified, her father stunned. Sammy shipped off to a friends for the night.
Rei's arms around her as she fought, tried to get to Belle.. She had to get to Belle! Belle couldn't die!.. She didn't deserve it! The pale, bleak faces of those around her. They couldn't believe it. Then, Darien and her running into his arms, tears streaming down her cheeks. He kissed her softly and she felt a little better.
The terrible, long wait at the hospital, peering anxiously, pacing, sitting with clenched hands. But then the doctor came.
"She's weak." Her heart pounding, hope flooding into her soul. "Six cuts, three stitches each... went well... put in surveillance.. going to keep her for the night... anti-depressant pills... psychiatrist... She'll be fine.."
Serena collapsed back in the seat, breathing deeply, trying not to hyperventilate. Darien rubbed her back, murmuring comfortingly in her ear. Her mother sat down beside her, smoothing her daughter's hair.
"Serena,.. what's wrong with her? Why did she do that?.." Serena rubbed her forehead.
"I don't know Mom.. She's had a tough time.. Family trouble." Serena said vaguely, managing a slight bitter smile. 'She's been abused and beat up, and the man she loves she now has to help kill.. Family trouble yeah right...'
"Ooh.. Divorces are so hard on some young people..." Serena's mother said sadly, and Serena sweatdropped. 'If ONLY it was that easy!.. I wish Mom...'
"Girls?" A nurse poked her head out of a doorway, smiling. "You may come see her if you want. I just ask that you please don't get her all worked up.. ok?" Serena leaped to her feet and practically ran into the room, the others all right after her.
Belle was laying in a private room, her head to one side, looking bleakly out a small window. Bandages covered her arms from her hands up to her elbows, and a small IV dripped into her right elbow. Serena walked over to her and sat down. She didn't move.
"Belle?" Serena asked softly, questioningly. Again Belle didn't answer, didn't move. "Belle.. I'm sorry.. I couldn't let you die." Serena said softly, looking at her own hands. "I guess I really messed things up.. But.. you're my friend even if you don't want to be and I won't let you die!!"
Belle turned and looked at Serena, tears glimmering in her eyes behind the thick glasses. "I've nothing to live for Serena. I've no home no hope, no reason! Why can't you just leave me alone? I just want to die!.."
"Belle why don't you realize we want to be your friends?" Ami said softly, and Belle looked at her. The blue haired girl sat down, folding her hands primly in lap as she continued. "We enjoy your company, all of us.. even though you don't realize it."
"And we like fighting by your side." Rei said, smiling.
"I mean, you have the NEATEST attack!" Mina giggled, eyes gleaming. "Even though I couldn't say it if my life depended on it! Transparent loon!" She said happily, throwing her hand in the air.
Belle sweatdropped, and the others groaned at her. Lita put a hand on Mina's shoulder. "Mina.." Mina looked at her. "It's LooMmm Transcendence. Not transparent loon.."
"Oh.." Mina said, this time she was the one sweatdropping. "I knew that!.." She waved her hand dismissively and then turned back to Belle. "See what we mean?"
"Thank you all.. but without Jake it's just not worth it." Belle said, two glimmering tears rolling down her cheeks. "I can't bear the thought that I'm going to have to help kill him. I can't.." She looked down and then burst out, "Can't you understand it?? This is killing me! I just want to die!"
"Sailor Aethena!" Amara snapped suddenly, drawing Belle's attention to her and Michelle. "You have a mission to fulfill." Amara said softly, meeting Belle's eyes boldly. "You have been entrusted to help protect this world."
"You have the gift to change all of reality." Trista said softly. "You've even changed Time before just for us so we wouldn't have to die. Your powers are to protect this world. We'll protect you too, even from yourself because we ALL owe you our lives."
Serena looked at Trista. "She changed Time?"
"You died." Belle said softly, looking at her hands. "All of you.. You were all dead.. Even Jake!.. And the wolves would have won.. I couldn't just let that happen.. And so.. so I changed Time. I altered reality. I made it so you, Serena, had gone home sick. That changed everything. Mina went with you, so she didn't see me. The wolf beast wasn't challenged, you didn't figure out Jake was Darkness, and none of you died."
"You mean we're s'posed to be DEAD??.." Reenie gasped, looking at her hands. Belle nodded mutely. "You saved us." Reenie said, her eyes regarding Belle with newfound respect. Suddenly she climbed up on the bed and threw her arms around Belle. "Thank you so much for saving my friends and family!!"
Belle looked at the little girl with her arms around her with wide eyes, but then hugged the pink haired girl back with a smile. "I'm glad you're alright."
"See? We owe you so very much!" Lita said. "Give us a chance to repay you?"
"Yeah c'mon, me an' Hotaru will take you to the mall and buy you a hot sundae.. Just don't even do that to yourself again.. please.." Reenie said, smiling at Belle. Belle looked around the room and for a moment was silent, but then she nodded.
"I promise."
"Great!" A collective sigh of relief ran through the room, and Belle was amazed a moment that they weren't acting. They were actually worried about HER.. Serena looked at Belle.
"Try and get some sleep now... We'll be here when you wake up." Belle nodded mutely, too tired to protest, and snuggled down in her bed, Reenie tucking the covers under her chin.
In a few short minutes she was asleep.

Chapter One; Tokyo Hospital, Tuesday Morning
"Phew.. I finally convinced Serena to go home and rest." Rei said, collapsing into the chair next to Mina. Mina put her fingers to her lips and glanced into the room where Belle was still sleeping.
"She's home." Lita said, also looking a bit ragged but much more refreshed than the other two. She'd even had time to change her clothes. "I caught a quick cat nap. I'll stay guard.. why don't you guys go home and take your own advice Rei? I'll let you know immediately when Belle wakes up ok?"
"Ok.." Mina said, standing and swaying a bit. Lita steadied her friend, and Mina smiled a bit sheepishly. "I'm going home ok? C'mon Rei." She turned and looked at Rei, but Rei had already fallen asleep in the chair.
"It'd be a shame to wake her up. Why don't you leave her here? When she wakes up I'll send her home ok?" Lita suggested, and Mina nodded after a moment.
"Just remember Lita, be careful ok? We don't know what Jake might try..." Mina said worriedly, but Lita gave her a devil-may-care smile.
"Hey don't worry! With fire and lightning AND reality on our side, what can go wrong? Don't worry we'll be fine. Jupiter and Mars will protect our neighbor.. Ok?" Mina smiled and nodded.
"Ok, see ya Litababe." She waved and walked out the door, heading to her apartment. Lita watched her go and then sat down next to Rei. She'd slept for a couple hours, and so, she was wide awake. She just hoped nothing would trouble them.
Belle half-woke several times, Lita going in and checking on her, reassuring the girl that they were there. She cried in her sleep, uttering the same phrase over and over. "It's the curse"..
When Luna and Serena showed up mid-morning, having skipped school (Mr. and Mrs. Tsukino had written a note. Rei's grandpa had been bribed to call her school, and Lita had also sent in a note with Mina.) Lita put Serena's fears at ease.
"She's in sleeping like a babe." She sat down next to the black cat, and, when no one was listening, turned to their guardian. "Luna?" She asked, and Luna turned to her. "What's the Curse Belle keeps talking about?"
Luna looked down. "That part of Aethenian history is very fuzzy.. But it's still very clear compared to what happened in that planet the days after it was destroyed." Lita looked curious at this, but Luna continued about the curse. "When Beryl confronted Aprhodina, and the Princess denied all of Beryl's accusations, something happened between the two. No one knows what, but it was bad enough that Beryl ran from the palace, Aphrona after her. Aphrona caught up to her, but Beryl wouldn't talk to her, instead, cursed her. She told Aphrona that she'd never felt loneliness, never been away from the center of attention or known what it was like to be shunned. 'By the power of Darkness, you shall know my pain'. When Aethena was reborn as Belle, the curse took effect. Queen Serenity had taken special care to make sure all of her Scouts would be happy in the end, but she was unaware of Beryl's curse. So, Aphrona was reborn as Belle.. She knew love, but then lost it all, became a lonely, shunned girl, just like Beryl had cursed her."
"Oh that's so sad!" Lita sighed, her eyes wide. Then they hardened. "Just like that b*yatch Beryl to do such a thing to an undeserving girl like Belle! Darkness too!"
"Hm? Someone say my name?" Rei, Lita, and Luna all bolted to their feet like a gunshot, fists clenched, staring at Jake, who was looking at them both a bit curiously. "Now girls.. that's no way to treat me!" His eyes changed somehow, as if he was being hurt. "Move aside, let me pass.."
"NO!" Rei yelled, drawing the attention of other nurses and doctors as she blocked Jake's way, hands and legs spread. Lita grasped Rei's hand and formed another wall, Luna hissing in the middle. "You've hurt her enough, she doesn't need to see YOU again.. Now YOU go away! We won't let you pass!"
"LET ME PASS!" He yelled now, making a small motion with his hands, the same motion that sent Serena flying that one day. They gritted their teeth, but didn't move, sliding back a few feet. Jake looked amazed.
"Let me pass right now. I WILL see her!"
"NO! Don't you understand?? She's in there BECAUSE OF YOU! We won't let you see her and hurt her again!" Lita said viciously, hatred making her eyes blaze, a fury that made Jake step back unconsciously.
"Jake?" Belle's voice was slurred and sleep filled, and at the sound of it, Jake seemed to tense every muscle in his body, looking into the room like a dog watching a biscuit being hung in front of its nose.
"Let me pass!!" He hissed angrily, glaring at them both with incredible contempt. The two didn't move. He made as if to move forward and shove them both inside, but suddenly, an incredible energy sent him flying back.
Serena stood like a stone sentinel in Belle's doorway, her hair whipping back as the locket on her bow glowed like a lantern. The light spread out, to form a small bubble with Lita and Rei as the front, pulsing with incredible light. Serena's eyes opened, and she looked straight at Jake with anger in her eyes.
"If this wasn't a place of healing and if fighting you here didn't put everyone's lives in danger, I would fight you and I would kill you for what you've done to Belle. She tried to take her own life, don't you understand?? Because of YOU! Now go away!! Stay away!!"
Jake stood slowly, and even more slowly, raised his eyes to meet Serena's. They were full of anger, bitter tears. "You don't know what you've just done. But I swear.. next time we meet Serena Tsukino, I will kill YOU.. You'll pay for this insult."
"I don't think so Darkness!" Rei spat in anger.
"I'm going to use the power of the Silver Crystal to release the hold I have on the people." Serena said calmly, gesturing at the people who were frozen, as if stone statues. "You had better be gone before that or it will destroy you. Oh yeah, on more thing.. Jake."
Jake paused and looked back at her, his eyes blazing. "Don't try and talk to her, or even approach her. We'll be watching and trust me, you don't want to mess with us. Just stay away from us."
"I will stay away from you.. for now. I can never stay anywhere where Belle isn't though, can't you understand? .. But don't worry.. There will come a time when I won't stay away, and I'll come back and I'll kill you." And then he turned, and with a flash of black energy, was gone.
Serena let her grip on the Silver Imperial Crystal fall and dropped to her knees with a relieved gasp. Rei moved to her, throwing Serena's arm over her shoulders. "Serena you really shouldn't have done that.." Luna scolded, meowing loudly.
"I know... but I couldn't let him touch her. Just the THOUGHT of that.. that.. MONSTER any where NEAR my friends.. it's awful. It makes me so angry. I couldn't just stand there and let you guys take all the risks." Serena looked up at them. "I'm sorry guys.."
Lita hugged her friend. "Don't be Serena, .. thank you, it probably saved me and Rei a whole lot of trouble." Serena smiled while Rei muttered something about kicking Darkness' can to Pluto and beyond.
"Jake?" Serena stood slowly and moved into Belle's room. She was sitting up, her long blonde hair down from the braid, her thick glasses hiding her gorgeous lavender eyes.
"No, it was just some guy who sounded like Jake. Jake didn't come.." Belle's eyes filled with hurt filled tears and she nodded mutely, laying back down in her bed, closing her eyes again. Serena pulled the covers up around her, and moved to the doorway.
It was almost like Belle had been waiting for Serena to go to release the flood of tears that came now. Her small frame was wracked with sobs as she buried her face in the pillow and cried her heart out. Serena looked down, a single tear slipping from her eyelids to spill on the floor. "Jake.. please.. It's the curse.." Belle sobbed, and then, after a few moments seemed to cry herself to sleep.
"I'm so very, very sorry Belle.." She whispered, and then shut the door gently.

Chapter Two; Apartment Thirteen, Tuesday Afternoon
Jake appeared in his apartment, leaning back against the door, which locked at a thought from him. He stared dismally around at the apartment, his dream apartment, which now seemed empty, shabby,.. bare.
"Belle.." He whispered, the one word filled with such longing and self loathing that it amazed even him. He couldn't believe he'd told her he hated her.. no that wasn't true!!.. He'd never uttered a more untrue word!
Even now as he looked around the small apartment that had become his AND Belle's home, .. it was filled with memories of her, of being with her and not being alone. It had been his one sanctuary, his one haven where he was always loved.
But now.. now she hated him he was so sure.. He couldn't believe he'd reacted like he had.. It just didn't make sense! How could he have said the things he had said? How could he have tried to KILL Her??..
"No! What is happening to me??.." He leaned back against the door, looking up at the ceiling, not seeing it, his vision blurred with tears of anger and disbelief.
His heaven, his haven had been destroyed by his own plan. If only he hadn't been so filled with a desire to see Serena's death.. if only he had been more focused on making Belle happy... If only he had let himself love her. Then this wouldn't have happened.
He cried then.. letting the tears flow down his face, splattering on the floor. He had gone to the hospital to try and tell Belle he was sorry,.. but the welcome he'd received only reasserted the fact that he had irretrievably, and utterly screwed up...
Suicide! How could she have tried something like that?? How could she try and leave him?.. No, he wasn't being fair.. How would he have felt if it was Belle who told him she hated him. No, he could see why she'd have done it. Thank the lord on high Serena had been there to save her. He was grateful to her. But the fact remained that this planet was the cause of his trouble. And he didn't like trouble.
He destroyed anything that troubled him. So he was going to destroy this world. Since Belle didn't love him. If Belle didn't love him, he'd have to destroy her too.
"Belle don't make me kill you!.."

Chapter Three; Cherry Hill Temple, Tuesday evening
Ami's mother took on the duty of watching Belle, giving the girl a sedative. She had been sleeping all day but looked the worse for it. It was because of the dreams she kept having. She kept screaming about the Curse.. That whatever was happening wasn't her fault. Dr. Anderson explained that it was probably a reaction to the "divorce" which Serena had used to explain Belle's attempt at death. So Dr. Anderson gave her a sleeping pill to try and get her to sleep deeply. It had worked, and the Dr. had shooed everyone off, to go with their friends.
So now, all of the Sailors, even Darien and Hotaru, had gathered in Rei's temple, for an emergency meeting. One that involved two topics: Belle of course, and Darkness, and the Sword.
"Here, look.." Ami said, pulling out a small diamond ring her mother had had lying around the condo. "This is a diamond ring, the hardest substance on Earth, try tapping the Diamond on the Sword. The diamond shouldn't be hurt." Lita took the ring and tapped it against the sword.
The diamond broke in half, falling out of the setting onto the ground. "OH NO AMI I BROKE YOUR DIAMOND!!" Lita cried, stunned and sweatdropping as she scrabbled for the two halves. Ami sweatdropped, waving for Lita to calm down.
"It's alright really.. it wasn't even a twenty four karat.. My mother has lots of them lying around, really it was ok Lita! But the fact remains that the diamond shouldn't have chipped. The sword must be incredibly hard, even more than diamonds. This explains why it was able to cut through all that obsidian so easily."
"So, this sword is made out of something harder than diamond." Rei said thoughtfully, hmming thoughtfully. "What could it be?".. She wondered, looking at it.
"Hey guys, why don't you tell us how you found it?" Serena turned to Amara, Michelle, Hotaru, and Trista. The other Inner Scouts also looked at the others interestedly.
"We told you we had to perform a task, and that wasn't a lie." Michelle said factually, smiling slightly.
"We went to the Moon, to Mare Serenity, the Sea of Serenity, where the ruins of the Silver Millennium Palace are buried under the sand." Trista said into the silence.
"No way!!" Mina gasped. "Wow you went to the actual Moon?.." Amara nodded.
"Did you.. Did you see my mother?" Serena asked quietly. Hotaru smiled widely.
"Yeah! She said to tell you that she loves you a lot and that she's REALLY proud of you, especially how you handled Galaxia. She appeared before us just as a spirit. We had to pull the Sword out of this huge glowing stone. It was really hard, but finally Uranus and Neptune pulled it out together. It was really cool and it lit all up an' stuff.." She smiled.
"This is the sword that was given to the Sailors to defend the Princess. It doesn't belong to any of us individually, but to us as a whole. Anyone who needs it can call on its power to protect this world or the Princess. It is Excalibur, the mythical sword that the ancient king of the Earth, Arthur, and his knights, the ancient Sailor Scouts, used to protect his love, the Queen Selenitus." Amara said with a small smile.
"You mean, the ancient knights, Lancelot and all of them, were Sailor Soldiers?" Mina asked with wide eyes.
"Yes. During the Sailor Wars, which were occurring at that time, the female warriors disguised themselves as males, took the Queen, who they called Guinivere, and fled to the Earth, which was the only safe haven. It was in Camelot that the Pendragon line became securely fastened to Earth forever. Darien, you are the descendant of Arthur and Guinivere.. I must say you're the spitting image of him." Trista said with a smile. Darien looked amazed.
"But what about all the stories about Merlin? And how Guinivere loved a different knight, um.. what was his name? What about them? Were they all true?" Serena asked. Trista smiled.
"That, my friends, is a story for another time."
"The fact remains that Jake is still out there, mad, and potentially lethal. We must begin to prepare to face him and win. We have to train harder." Amara said.
"But we don't know where he lives." Rei said with a frown.
"I do.. at least, I have a hunch." Darien said quietly. "I bumped into Belle one day. She was just coming out of a small corner apartment in the building I live in. Apartment Thirteen. I'll bet anything that that's where he is."
"Thirteen.." Mina shuddered. "Oooh not good!"
"Oh hogwash Mina! That stuff is just a buncha mumbo jumbo.." Rei snapped.
"Like you, Rei?" Serena said with a sly little grin.
"CAN IT SERENA!" Rei yelled immediately, leaping to her feet.
"BOTH OF YOU GROW UP!" Mina yelled, and the two sat down, glaring at each other. Everyone sweatdropped.
"ANYWAY..." Ami said pointedly, looking at them both. "Do you know, any of you, what sort of stuff this sword is made out of?" Amara, Michelle, Hotaru, and Trista all shook their heads. Lita frowned.
"It's incredibly heavy. Just swinging it makes you feel incredibly weak. Could it be made out of some sort of marble or schist or something?" She asked, looking at Ami. Ami shook her head.
"No. If it was made out of any of those things, the diamond wouldn't have chipped. Even if it was the hardest thing on Earth or the universe, just tapping the diamond like you did shouldn't have broken it so completely. It might have chipped or even cracked, but for it to split apart like it had been chopped in half is highly unlikely," Ami said looking at everyone.
"So how do we explain it? What else do you have to tell us?" Reenie asked.
Ami smiled. "I'm glad you asked Reenie. Last night, when I took the sword home, I transformed into Mercury to try and see if my advanced visor couldn't get any other readings on it. What I found is amazing, to say the least. The sword actually emits some sort of beam or energy into whatever it touches that saps the victim's strength completely. That is why the diamond broke at just that tiny touch. This sword is not just stone. It's made out of some sort of raw solid that's been magically fortified with unbelievable powers. If you were to cut yourself on the blade, it would sap your energy, you would probably pass out, and if you cut yourself badly enough, it might even kill you." Serena eeped and moved away from the blade's glistening edge, staring at it amazedly.
"Wow.." Mina said looking at the sword with newfound respect. "No wonder it was the cause for so many myths. It's incredible! I'm glad it's on our side not theirs..."
Serena, acting on a whim, reached out to touch the handle. Her hand passed right through the shining white pommel as if it were just an illusion. She gasped and recoiled. "Its like putting your hand through ice!"
Amara frowned at her, and reached out, putting a hand on the handle and lifting the sword aloft. "It must be that only us Sailors can touch it." She set it down on the bed next to Darien and Reenie. "You guys try to touch it."
Reenie went first, leaning over and putting her hand down where the handle should have stopped it. She hit the bed, shivered, and pulled her hand back. "You're right its horribly cold.."
Darien reached out next, but when his hand touched the blade, it seemed to shimmer and glow, spreading light down the blade. He picked it up, swinging it experimentally. "It's incredible.. It's total power.."
Ami looked at him. "Trista, you said Darien was Arthur's descendant? And that this sword was created by Arthur to protect the Queen? Well, maybe because he is Arthur's descendant it's reacting positively to his pure blood line."
"I think you're right Ami.." Darien said with a hushed voice. "I can see Selenitus.. and Arthur.. Their faces... Selenitus looks like Queen Serenity so much." Darien lowered the sword, putting it back on the table. When he released it, he was trembling. "I can't hold it. It's too much power."
"Amazing.." Trista said with a small smile. "I didn't expect it to react so clearly to Darien. I knew that Serena and Reenie wouldn't be able to touch it. If you asked your mother to touch it, Ami, she too would pass right through the handle. But she can't see the sword. Because Serena and Reenie are Sailors, they can see it but not touch it. However, if you transformed into Sailor Mercury and held the sword, it would be visible to all."
"So the sword is basically useless until we use it as Sailors?" Rei asked. Trista nodded. "That's good. I wouldn't want some poor person stumbling over it and hurting themselves unnecessarily." She breathed out, thinking for a moment.
"I think Uranus and I should be in charge of it." Lita said after a moment. Everyone looked at her. "I mean, we're the only ones who are really strong enough to wield it, right? So it's only logical we should keep it and not you guys who can't use it."
"We can use it." Ami said after a moment. "But I agree.. You and Uranus should keep it, for now." Lita and Amara nodded. "We can't send it home with Darien." Ami continued after a moment. "His presence would make the blade start energizing. That could turn into an unfavorable situation."
Everyone nodded.
"Alright.. I say tonight we check out Apartment Thirteen." Michelle said after a moment.
"Agreed.. Let's put a stop to this tonight." Amara said with a deadly glimmer in her eyes.
"Right." Everyone chorused, and the Sword glowed once.

Chapter Four; Juuban High, Wednesday morning
Serena yawned widely, making everyone around her look at her. "Geesh.. Being a good student and a superheroine is tiring.. I can't believe I'm up so early! Miss Sisaki is gonna blow a casket ha HAH!" She turned and glanced at Belle, who was walking next to her. Despite the extreme temperatures, Belle was wearing her long sleeve uniform, to hide the bandages around her wrists.
"Serena I'm amazed that you actually got up so early!.." Ami said with a cheerful smile. Serena sweatdropped. She wished SHE could be as cheery as the blue haired genius at seven in the morning. "Your effort is commendable."
"Yeah good job Serena.." Lita said with a laugh. Serena beamed and then turned to Belle.
"Hey Belle, how are you? Did you sleep good? I'm glad you were able to get out of the hospital. How was Lita's house? She didn't snore too loud for you I hope?" She laughed and dodged Lita's swing at her last compliment, shrieking as she hid behind Belle. Belle smiled sadly, that kind of empty smile that she'd been using all day. It hurt Serena and the others to see it.
"Yeah I'm great." A flat out lie. They all knew she was a wreck, but she was doing her best to belay their fears. "Thank you Lita for the lunch." She said, glancing at the bag in her arms.
"Hey no problem. We're friends now remember?" she smiled and Belle nodded her thanks. They looked up as a screech greeted their ears, just in time to see a car careen around the corner, hitting the puddle, remnant of last night's rain, and spraying them with water as it shot off down the road.
"JERK WE WERE STANDING HERE!!" Lita bellowed after the car, shaking the water from her bangs. She held up her fist, trying to see the license plate. "Well that was nice of them.. Geez wait till I find those people I'll give them something to talk about you bet I will!"
"Lita calm down, no one was injured. They probably didn't even see us or the puddle. It was more than likely accidental, a coincidence they shot around the corner just as we arrived." Ami said with a sweatdrop as she patted Lita's arm. Lita frowned but stopped her tirade.
Serena sighed, wringing out her skirt and muttering. "Great my homework's soppin' thanks a LOT bozo!" She turned to Belle, shaking out her pigtails. She stopped.
Belle was standing there, the water dripping from her glasses and bangs as she stared off down the road, an expression of unbearable anguish on her face. She gasped for breath, her chest heaving as she fought the tears shining beneath her glasses.
"Belle?" Serena asked worriedly, laying a comforting hand on Belle's shoulder. Belle threw it off, and turned, bolting from sight. "BELLE WAIT!!" Serena cried, dashing off after her.
"oh no Belle!" Lita cried, and she and Ami took off after the other two. Belle disappeared from sight around a corner into the busy downtown traffic, and the three girls stood there, craning their necks to try and see her. "Where'd she go? Geez that was fast, what do you think caused it?"
"It was Jake!" Serena said suddenly. "She only gets that look when she's reminded of him. I thought that car looked familiar that creep! He probably did that on purpose. Oh Ami we have to find her!"
Ami nodded, pulling out her hand computer. "I'm analyzing the body composition of everyone in the crowd, trying to get a lock on Belle." She frowned for a moment, and then suddenly burst out, "I've got her! She's headed towards the park.. She's running at amazing speed, she's probably using her powers to push her faster.."
"Let's go!" Serena yelled, and the three sped off after the lone Sailor..

Chapter Five; Crystal Skies Park, Wednesday morning
For the second time, Belle collapsed to the ground underneath the tall oak tree, sobs wrenching from her very soul. Why?? Why couldn't she learn to let go of him? Why did she continually hurt herself like this?
She stared at her bandages wrists with hateful, tear filled eyes. "Why?" She sobbed, collapsing over onto her own lap, wrapping her arms around herself and weeping like she'd never stop. How many times in the past two days had she repeated this same scene? How many times would she feel like her heart had left, leaving an empty hole in her soul? How many times would she go over the same scene, looking, searching for something, some little glint that would tell her that he didn't mean what he had said??
But she found nothing. Her heart broke over and over, shattering inside of herself, her soul freezing, leaving her feeling barren, empty.. Cold.. And totally lifeless.
She kept seeing Ariana's face. 'I hate you!' The girl screamed. No, her best friend! Her BEST friend in the whole world! She would have done anything to try and ease Ari's pain, would have failed at so many things, embarrassed herself so many times. 'CURSE YOU! DAMN YOU!' Ari screamed at her, and Belle felt her soul shatter inside of her.
Then Jake.. Her love, her only love. The only one who'd ever understood her, really. Then and now. And both times he'd been ripped from her, both times they had been enemies. Both time she had had to fight him.
Why did she have to fight him? Why didn't she just join him? No.. Her soul screamed out at those bitter thoughts. Don't pity yourself! The beautiful warrior rose inside of her, giving her strength to shut off the valve to her heart, stop the flow of tears and rise again, empty inside and out.
She fell back against the oak tree, her books in the dew strewn grass. She fingered her crook, the crook that would allow her to become Aethena. Then a thought struck her.
If she couldn't take her life by suicide, what was to stop her from taking her existence? She could unwrap the threads of existence from around her, reweave the loom so she would sink into blessed oblivion. The prospect tasted so sweet on her lips, she almost wanted to curse the warrior who rose again inside of her, washing the idea from her mind.
If she unwrapped herself, she wouldn't be able to stop Jake. And if she couldn't love him.. she'd kill him. She wouldn't let him destroy the world just because his childhood had been bad. Even though that was so, she couldn't stop loving him. She would kill him and hate herself for it.
Just then, Serena, Ami, and Lita burst into the clearing, looking at her with concern in her eyes. She stared back at them emotionlessly, tears still glistening on her cheeks, her hands still clenched in fists. She slowly exhaled, letting the tension in her body run out into the ground, letting herself relax.
"Belle.. are you ok?" Serena asked. "Well I mean.. um.." She amended just as quickly. "I know you're not ok.. I mean I wouldn't be either if I had to.. to.. fight Darien, but I know that you'll be ok in the future. I mean, we're here so.. if you need anything.. Anything at all.." Belle smiled, a small, tiny gesture, but one that meant well.
"I know.. Thank you.. but there's nothing you can do." She looked up at the sapphire sky. "There's nothing any of you can do to help me. I have to do it all myself. Only three people can help me."
"Three? .. You and Jake.. duh.. But, three?" Serena prompted, still looking at Belle as if she was afraid she was going to run away again. Belle pushed her glasses back up on her nose and stared at Serena.
"Three." She turned and managed a halfhearted smile that screamed fake. "Besides,.. we're gonna be late for school if we don't get going soon, right?" She smiled again, that empty smile that killed Serena inside every time she saw it.
"Yeah.." Serena said, and the four girls headed towards the school.

Chapter Six; Wednesday afternoon-night, Juuban High-Aino residence
Belle was absentminded all day, hardly able to keep her attention on her work. Serena and the others gently pulled her eyes back to Miss Sisaki whenever she started to lapse. Belle didn't know how she could have gotten through the day without them.
As they walked home and everyone was talking, Belle was quiet, even as they waved goodbye to Melvin and Molly, and silent when they walked up the temple steps, waving hello to the others.
She was quiet all through Study Buddies, except for when she showed Serena how to do a problem, and the girls tried to cheer her up, but to no avail. She was grateful for everything they'd done for her, but there was nothing more they could do.. It was up to her.
That night as she lay in her bed on Mina's couch, she wondered why she'd gone so numb, where the determination she felt inside had come from. She sighed deeply, wrapping up, almost waiting for the tears to come. They didn't.. It was like she'd run out or something. It was almost scary.
During the night she dreamed of her past, during the Silver Millennium, and her love and friends.. And then, the dreams came, the part of her past that sent stabbing pains through her heart.
She woke up, tears on her cheeks and sweat drenching her forehead.

Chapter Seven; Thursday Afternoon, Downtown Tokyo
After school the next day, Serena dragged Belle down to the shopping plaza, ironically the same one where Belle had first met Sailor Moon and Darkness, to buy her a dress for the Spring Fling, which happened to be that next day. Serena was perky, quirky and fun, and Belle couldn't help but smile when the Meatballhead ordered a French cuisine, "L'escargo Please! Wha hah!!", and almost puked when Belle finally took pity on her and told her that l'escargo was a French delicacy: snails.
They finally found the perfect dress for her in "A Beauty Filled Boutique". It was form fitting, with spaghetti straps and a cut out, lace covered back. It was silver, but when she moved it in the light, it turned different hues. Serena convinced Belle to wear it, and buy matching gloves and a white shawl as well as white high heels.
Serena's dress was white, and strangely, it resembled her Princess dress from the old Moon Kingdom in many ways, except for the gold braid, and the fact it had spaghetti straps and no arm shoulders.
They met up with Amara and Michelle in a small café on the main street, and while they talked, watched the people bustling by them. Belle stared out the window sadly, stirring her tea slowly, almost like she didn't realize she was stirring it. Michelle and Amara traded glances.
"Amara, why don't you show Serena that shirt over in that one store you were saying looked perfect on her?" Michelle suggested, and Amara frowned, confused, until Michelle caught her gaze.
"Oh, right.. Of course, come on Meatballhead.." The two moved off, and Michelle waited until they were out of hearing range before sliding over and taking Belle's hand.
"Belle, why don't you stop pretending everything's alright?" She asked softly, and Belle looked at her.
"Wh.. what do you mean Michelle? I'm fine, really.." Michelle frowned, and pushed Belle's sleeve up, the white, freshly healed scars on Belle's wrists catching the light. Belle flinched and tried to draw her hand from Michelle's, but the other wouldn't let her go.
"Stop pretending. I know you're hurting.. why won't you let us help you? We can you know.. Serena's Crystal could help you, give you strength to help bring him to our side.." Belle looked away, tears glimmering in her eyes, but she resolutely pushed her glasses up.
"I can't tell her that.. I can't ask her for help. It's my fault this happened in the first place, and I should be the one who fixes it." Michelle shook her head.
"That's the wrong attitude Belle, and it's going to hurt you more than it helps. You have to let us help you. You have to move on with your life and get past him. He's just another boyfriend, and you'll find someone else. Trust me.."
"No, you don't realize what you're talking about!!" Belle hissed, pain in her voice. "No one knows just how deep this goes. This isn't just NOW, I didn't JUST fall in love with him, I've loved him for a millennia! More!!.." Michelle just listened as Belle finally vented the feelings she'd been holding in for so long, tears running down her cheeks, unheeded. "No one knows that the only reason I'm here is because of him.. He destroyed Aethen, but not before he saved me. I loved him then and I love him now.. And.. both times I've had to fight him.. Why can't I just love him? Why does this have to come between us?? If only.. If only I wasn't Aethena and he wasn't Darkness.. then we could just be Belle and Jake and love each other..."
"Oh Belle, I'm so sorry.." Michelle slipped around the table to take Belle into her arms, and Belle laid her head on the protector of Neptune's shoulder and cried. "Love will find a way Belle.. Whether you're just fooling yourself into believing you love him, or if you really do.. You'll make it, just please.. don't do something so deplorable as try and take the easy way out. Death won't release you, it'll just enslave you, you have to believe me.."
"Why do I have to fight him Michelle? Why?? If I love him, I should be with him.. I shouldn't have to fight him.."
"I know.. it sucks royally doesn't it.. I'm so sorry you've had to go through this Belle, and I'm sorry that he can't see how much you really love him.. Oh.. this makes me so mad I could just strangle him for doing this to such a wonderful girl.."
Despite her tears, Belle laughed a little, smiling, and Michelle smiled too. "Thank you Michelle.." Michelle smiled and squeezed Belle's hand reassuringly.
"No problem Belle. Just promise me you won't go hurting yourself any more? And let us help you.. please?" Belle finally smiled and nodded, and Michelle sighed, relieved they didn't have to worry any more.
"Hey Beeeeeeelle loook! Hee heee haaa hoohoo!!" Serena's voice cut through the quiet murmurings of the café, and Belle hurriedly wiped away the tears on her cheeks. Amara and Michelle glanced at each other, and Amara broke into a smile as the two slide into the seat across from Belle and Michelle, Serena holding up the shirt to show Belle.
"So, is everything cleared up?" Amara asked Michelle quietly, watching as Serena and Belle chatted, this time it was a two way conversation, and Belle was completely active in it. It was a refreshing sight.
"Yes.. I think she just need some one to listen while she vented.. And I don't think Serena fit the bill.." Michelle smiled widely. "She promised to let us help her, and to keep herself healthy."
"That's good to hear." Amara said and nodded, with a quick little grin. "Good job cuz.."
"Thank you 'Mara.." Michelle and Amara turned their attention back to Belle and Serena just in time for Michelle to give Serena a compliment on the new shirt, which Serena was totally gaga over..

Chapter Eight; Friday evening, Juuban High
Thursday evening and Friday morning passed like a dream, in a flurry of preparations. Student committees called last minute meetings to make sure that the dance would go smoothly, and even the teachers seemed excited. The whole school was buzzing with gossip and last minute arrangements, and the day seemed to drag on endlessly, the seconds slowing more and more the more they approached the bell that would end school.
No one's attentions were on their studies, and even the teachers seemed to want to rush through them, even if they stopped halfway through the lessons. Serena celebrated when Miss Sisaki cut off their algebra lesson after the fiftieth snore cut through her dronings, drawing Miss Sisaki's disapproval. But surprisingly, she didn't give Serena a single detention, not even when she clutzed out in the middle of History and disrupted the entire lesson.
So when the bell FINALLY rang, everyone bolted out of the school like it was on fire, the noise level in the halls reaching an all time high. Preparees rushed to get ready, and the students hurried home, counting down the minutes to seven thirty.
Ami and Lita had signed Rei and Mina up so they could come with them, and all of the Scouts were getting ready in Ami's room, seeing as it had the most space, and the fact she had a TON of expensive looking jewelry that she always lent them.
Ami wore the sapphire sequined dress Lita had pulled out (in this time line before the food had come) and a beautiful sapphire necklace and earrings set. Rei's dress was sexy, a flame color of red that really accented her eyes and her long raven hair, which she braided and put up in a fancy twist. When Lita came in, they all ooohed. Her dress made her seem even more tall than she was, and she let down her hair for the evening, clipping the sides back with clips Ami lent her. Mina wore a golden cream colored dress that reminded Serena of ancient Greek togas, her hair curled with a pearl headdress. Serena kept her hair in odangoes, but twirled it so the long ponytails were spirally.
Belle let her hair down for them, and they all Aahed at how long and pretty it was. Serena braided the sides and wrapped them around her head in the exact imitation of how her hair would be in her Sailor form, even adding small hair gems that made her hair sparkle when she turned.
Darien was going to pick them all up at seven and take them in his car. Serena had invited Amara and Michelle, but they'd gone to their own school party, saying they'd see them later. Trista went with them. Reenie and Hotaru were a little bummed that they had to stay home, but Mrs. Tsukino had promised them a night of candy and movies. She'd even let Hotaru sleep over, and that made Reenie perk right up.
They were ready by six forty five, just when Darien showed up, early. He looked totally hot in his tuxedo, even without the mask, cape, and hat. Serena almost melted, and the other girls giggled at her.
Darien had put the hood up so the wind wouldn't mess up the girls' hair and they arrived at the school in what seemed like a matter of seconds. Everyone was there early it seemed, not being able to wait for the doors to open.
The girls oohed at the decorations. It was like a dream. The floor was covered with silver confetti, and balloons bobbed on the ceiling, iridescent stars twirling in the breeze. The DJ was placed right in the front, where his music would reach every nook and cranny, and already had the dance floor hopping. Serena giggled. "Wow look at all those COOKIES!!" She giggled and pointed at the buffet table, which was laden with star and moon shaped cookies, brownies, cupcakes, and all sorts of goodies, two enormous punch bowls one either end.
"Shall we dance?" Darien asked Serena when a slow song came in.
"I'd LOVE to my darling prince!" Serena giggled, and away the two whirled, looking like a fairy tale prince and princess. Mina and Rei had already been snatched up, and were looking very happy. Ami seemed quite content to sit and talk with the algebra and computer club teacher.
"Hey, wanna dance?" A guy asked Belle. She looked at him, but shook her head.
She was dancing with Jake in her mind.
The boy shrugged and moved away, a giggling girl joining him to swirl out onto the dance floor. To Lita's utter delight, she saw a guy who was an inch taller than her. The two immediately got off on the right foot and soon were dancing.
Belle sat down, trying not to cry as the music played on, trying to distract herself by watching Serena and Darien. But watching them only made her feel more lonely, and she couldn't help but feel that it should be her and Jake out there..
"May I have this dance, beautiful?" She tensed at the familiar voice, almost hesitantly turning to the asker. He looked like a statue, or a painting, elegant and sexy in his tuxedo. He offered his hand to her. "Please?"
She put her hand in his and then away they were, twirling to the music, and Belle felt like she was dreaming as he held her close and they danced for what seemed an eternity. She didn't care that the others were looking at her, didn't care that there was a small circle around the two, didn't care that Serena and the others were looking horrified.
She only cared that she was dancing with him and him alone. It felt like a dream. He held her close to his broad, strong chest, and she could smell his cologne, the familiar, reassuring scent.
"Jake, I never want this to end.." She whispered. "Am I dreaming?"
He smiled, tilting her chin up to look at her. "Never.. I told you I would take you.. I don't care that you and I have to fight right now.. all I want to do is hold you and pretend everything is as it should be."
She smiled slowly, tears in her eyes. "I think that's a good idea." And then they were dancing again, close together, nothing but the feeling of dancing on their minds.
And when it ended, he held her for one moment more before stepping back, still holding her hand in his. "Goodbye, Belle." And in that instant, she knew it was final. There was no backing down, nothing to do except watching him go. Tears streamed down her cheeks.
"Goodbye.. Jake..." She whispered, and let his hand go.
He disappeared.
She stood there for one moment more before turning away, feeling empty inside. But no more tears came. She didn't cry, because she had cried for him before, and now it was time to stop crying and stand up. It was time to be strong. The final fight had begun.
Serena gasped, and ran to her. "Belle! Are you ok? Oh my god I can't believe he did that to you!"
"Stop it!" Belle hissed suddenly. "He didn't do ANYTHING to me.. Can't you understand meatballhead? He promised me he would come with me no matter what happened. And that was him fulfilling his promise. I can take care of myself Serena. Now snap out of it!"
Serena looked hurt, but amazingly, she didn't wail. Instead, she swallowed once, and then nodded slowly. "o.. Of course.. Gomen nasaii Belle.. I didn't know.."
"Well.. You do now." Belle said after a moment, a little regretful that she'd yelled at Serena. "I'm sorry Serena.. I shouldn't have yelled at you.. You've been so good to me, and.. and.."
"It's alright.. Really I needed that.." Serena said after a moment. "Don't be sorry Belle."
"Thank you Serena.." Belle whispered, and Serena nodded. Then the two hugged each other like sisters. And in that moment, something formed between them.. A bond, a sort of friendship. It was the same type of trust they'd had a millennia ago.
The Princesses had found each other at last.

Chapter Nine; Friday night, outside Juuban High
Belle needed fresh air, and so, after explaining to the others why she was leaving, she slowly walked out the door into the cool night air. The stars were twinkling so brightly in the velvet sky, it reminded her of another time she'd stood and looked at them.
*They look so far away, don't they?*
*Yes, but on nights like this, when they're gleaming above you, doesn't it feel, just a bit, like they're watching over you? They may be far away, but they're watching out for you.... It's just that, I've never heard any one say anything like that. You've got such a passion for living.. such a beautiful soul. I've never come across someone like you in all my travels.*
*Oh.. Jake..*
"Jake.." She whispered longingly. "I guess your place wasn't with me after all.. I hope you find it some day.. I hope that somehow this turns out right, though how I just don't know.."
Just then, a branch cracked behind her. She whirled, to see Serena standing there in the shadows, her blue eyes wide, but not with horror, with concern. They looked at each other for a moment, and then Belle managed a small smile. Serena's face lit up and she walked over to Belle.
"I've been waiting for so long to be with you again Belle.. You're one of my very best friends, and I knew something wasn't right when you hated me.." She smiled softly. "A friendship such as our lasts through anything."
"Oh Serena, you haven't changed a bit." Belle laughed with a smile and Serena blushed.
"Why does everyone say that??"
"Because it's true!" They laughed together again, and then silence fell. Not an uncomfortable silence, but rather, one of two old friends who knew each other well enough they didn't have to talk.
"I'm sorry girls, but you'll have to move this little 'Party' somewhere else." A man said, and Belle suddenly felt a shiver of fear down the back of her neck. Serena turned around, smiling, but suddenly stopped, her face paling.
Darkness stood in the shadows, with a youma standing next to him. The youma spoke again. "I'm sorry girls, but your time has run out. Now pay the price!"
Serena screamed as the youma suddenly raised its arm. A thick black shadowy rope shot out, binding her tightly. Belle had locked eyes with Darkness, but then nodded slowly, throwing her hand in the air.
"AETHENA SPECTRUM P-" She let out a strangled cry as the rope shot out around her, cutting into her body cruelly. Falling to the ground, she stared at Darkness with murder in her eyes. But thankfully, Serena's scream had alerted the others.
"OAK REVOLUTION!" The youma let out a shriek of pain as the attack hit it full force. "Leave them alone!" Four figures formed in the shadows, and one by one they stepped out.
"Let the fire of the planet of war cleanse you, I'm Sailor Mars and I'll punish you.. In high heels!"
"People say I'm just a nerd but my brain's my biggest strength! I'll punish you on behalf of nerds everywhere! Sailor Mercury!"
"I'm Sailor Venus! Let the goddess of love show you a little thing she calls tough love!"
"Hey Darkness, you think you're so great, well I'm here to help you fall! I'm Sailor Jupiter!"
"We're the Sailor Scouts and we'll punish you!"
The youma had recovered, and hissed evilly. "Silly Scouts.. Shut up before Roper ropes you!" The beast shuffled forward with a malicious glint in its eyes.
Darkness stepped back. "Rope beast, take care of them, you know where to find me." He stared at the two girls bound on the ground with hard eyes, and reached down, touching them both.
Then all three disappeared.
"Serena!!" Tuxedo Mask cried, watching helplessly as the rose sliced through the ground where they had been a few seconds ago, a few moments too late.
The youma hissed again as Sailor Mars, angry, attacked with a vicious energy. "FLAME SNIPER!!" She yelled loudly, the arrow singing the youma's arm. Roper just smirked.
"You can't hurt me with your pitiful attacks!!" It cried, and then attacked Jupiter and Venus, who were standing on one end, its ropes wrapping around them in seconds.
"I.. can't breathe!!" Jupiter gasped angrily, gritting her teeth as she fought to break the ropes. Venus was trying to keep one of the ropes from cutting into her throat and strangle her.
"We need Sailor Moon to destroy it!" Tuxedo cried angrily as his cane sliced through the ropes, freeing the two Scouts.
"We'll have to do it on our own,.. AQUA RHAPSODY!" Mercury yelled, the barrage of ice cold water freezing the youma's rope slinging hand for a moment, long enough to the three to get out of its reach.
"FLAME SNIPER!" Mars yelled again desperately, aiming to burn the coil of rope on the youma's chest, but the youma twisted at the last second, and instead the bush in back of it burst into flames.
Then, the youma attacked, and this time all of the Scouts and Tuxedo found themselves bound with ropes stronger than steel that slowly shrank tighter and tighter.
"Someone.. do .. something!!.." Jupiter cried, her face scrunched with pain.
"What CAN we .. Unh .. Do?" Venus replied. "We're all tied UP Aaaah duh!"
"Let us help!" The Sailors immediately gasped in relief as Uranus leaped down, a few expert sweeps of her space sword slicing through the ropes and freeing them. She carried Excalibur in a pouch on her back.
"Guys thank goodness.." Mars sighed as she slowly stood up, her eyes narrowing dangerously.
Venus shuddered. "Darkness took Aethena and Moon!!"
"Mommy!!" Minimoon cried in horror. "Oh no!!"
"Guys, we'll talk about this later. We have something to do right now remember?" Jupiter said, a hard glint in her eyes as she slowly turned to stare at the youma. "Let's all attack at once and take that youma down!" The Scouts all nodded their consent.
"Wait.." Uranus said, and then drew the sword. "Let's see what this can do." Neptune turned to the others with a small nod of determination.
"Everyone be prepared to help her if she needs it."
Uranus slowly lifted the heavy sword from the ground, her muscles standing out as even she strained to keep it up. Then, with a sudden attack, she leaped at the rope beast.
The youma sent vines of rope whipping at her, but she sliced through them like a hot knife through butter. More and more vines whipped towards them, but just then, Mars stepped in.
"MARS FIRE IGNITE!" She yelled, setting the entire field of vines on fire. Uranus looked back and nodded her thanks before swinging the sword in a broad sweep. The youma, trying to avoid being lit on fire, didn't have a chance.
The sword sliced through it with unbelievable ease, spreading the youma into a thousand tiny sparkles of light that slowly dimmed and faded. Uranus fell to her knees.
"It's incredible.." She gasped. "This isn't made of some ordinary stone.."
Venus stared at the sword, which was glowing, pulsing with a familiar light. "Can.. can it be? Can this sword be a sword of.. Silver Imperial Crystal??"

Chapter Ten; Darkness' hideout, Friday night
Belle's eyes slowly fluttered open, a groan escaping her lips she blinked, looking around at her surroundings, trying to get her eyes used to the darkness. She was standing, her arms pulled over her head. She pulled down, a rustling of metal hitting metal all that greeted her. She was chained. She growled in anger.
"Belle?" Serena's voice was weak. Belle slowly twisted around, ignoring the aching in her arms. Serena was chained a few feet away from her, in the same position. Her fine dress was ruined, and she had a smudge of dirt on her cheek.
"Serena I'm here.." Belle said, wishing she could reach over and hug her friend. "I guess we're in Darkness' prison huh?" She said with a small angry little snort as she craned her head around to see their surroundings.
"Oooh my head hurts so much.." Serena moaned, leaning her head against her arms, closing her eyes for a moment and trying to fight the pain that was throbbing behind her eyes.
"I know.." Belle said, ignoring the pain in her own head. She frowned and then whispered urgently. "Serena, don't make a sound. But these manacles are simple metal. I think I may be able to unravel them."
Serena nodded. "I'm ready, try it."
Belle closed her eyes and concentrated on the manacles, slowly the pictures surfacing. She could SEE the manacles. Not like sight, for what they looked like, but every little molecule in them, every strand of the reality that made them up, up to the tiny flaws that were their weak points.
She focused on one such weak point, slowly and carefully unraveling the threads of reality. And then she struck, and there was a sizzling sound as the manacles disappeared, as if they had never existed. She sighed happily as she lowered her hands, and then moved over to Serena.
As she worked, Serena talked. "I can't believe Darkness did this! What does he hope to gain? I mean he just danced with you and then he captures you and me.. How stupid can he be? And you with your powers.. Easy as pie to get out of here."
Belle gasped, and it was done. "Not easy.. My powers are incredibly drained. You don't know how hard it is to do that. Even unraveling the threads around a tiny bug leaves me incredibly weak." She took a deep breath, and after a moment smiled a bit. "Ok, I'm ready."
Serena threw Belle's arm around her shoulders and they walked to the door. It was thick and made of metal. Serena winced and then looked at Belle. "I hate to do this to you.. but.."
"Already on it.." Belle said, a thin sheen of perspiration on her forehead as she placed her hand on the door. Then, with an audible sizzling sound, it too disappeared, and Belle fell back against Serena, her face pale. Serena nodded.
"Good job Belle.. Now let me get us out of here.." She said, and lowered her head, reaching for her locket. "OH MY GOD!!" She gasped, patting her chest frantically, and then her side. "He took my locket!! I had it in my pocket and now it's gone!!"
Belle sighed, and touched her pocket too. "My crook is gone." She sighed. "I'd be able to regain some of my energy if I had it.." She sighed. "He must have taken it from us. I think he knew we would get out." She glanced around. "The only thing is.. why haven't we encountered any guards or traps?"
Serena shivered. "I don't like this.. It's almost like he's just waiting for us to find him." Her eyes narrowed. "Well if that is it, he'll have my locket, the Crystal, and your crook with him."
"Alright then.. Let's go find him." Belle said with a small decisive nod.

Chapter Eleven; Friday night, Outside Juuban High
"Get ready!" Mars said. "Let's hope this works.." They stood in a circle, facing in, all of the Scouts' hands joined. Mercury, Mars, Jupiter, Venus, Neptune, Uranus, Saturn, Minimoon, Pluto, and Tuxedo Mask.
"Let's go.." Jupiter said, clutching Venus' and Mars' hands tightly.
"MERCURY CRYSTAL POWER!"
"MARS CRYSTAL POWER!"
"JUPITER CRYSTAL POWER!"
"VENUS CRYSTAL POWER!"
"NEPTUNE PLANET POWER!"
"URANUS PLANET POWER!"
"SATURN PLANET POWER!"
"MOON PRISM POWER!"
"PLUTO PLANET POWER!"
"EARTH POWER!"
There was a soft chiming, ten chimes, and the clearing around them grew strangely silent as a wicked wind whipped up, lashing around them. The full blood moon above them disappeared in thick clouds that suddenly moved in, the stars disappearing.
"SAILOR SOLDIER TELEPORT!"
Their voices were strong, ringing out into the black night as their aura colors stretched to the sky, forming a circle of light through the clouds. The tension grew, pebbles and dust on the ground rising with the energy exuded by the Sailors, the trees tossing like in a hurricane.
And then, they disappeared.
Luna, Artemis, and Diana watched them.
"Good luck Sailors.. Please bring Sailor Moon and Sailor Aethena home safely.." Luna whispered into the silent night, and Diana and Artemis moved to comfort her.

Chapter Twelve; Darkness' hideout, Friday night
"Where are we?" Serena's voice echoed hollowly in the obsidian hallways, the unsteady flickering the torches making the shadows dance and creating horrible enemies at every corner.
"I don't know.." Belle said, looking around. Suddenly both tensed. There it was again.. The echoing flicker of voices, whispering urgently. Footsteps of a group of people slamming into the ground, slowly approaching them.
"I think we're about to meet our first enemy.." Belle said, and nodded at Serena. "Let's get ready to fight." Both tensed, assuming defense positions.
And then, suddenly the Sailor Scouts rounded the corner. For one moment they stared at each other, stunned, but then, in an eruption of laughter, the girls converged, hugging and laughing. Tuxedo Mask swept Serena into his arms and kissed her deeply, the other girls laughing happily.
When all had fallen silent, Uranus said, "I don't think we should go home yet." Her hand on the handle of the legendary sword of Silver Imperial Crystal, Excalibur.
"She's right." Mars said after a moment. "This ends, now."
"And besides, we've got to get Belle's crook and my locket back from Darkness.. he has them. I bet it's his way of making sure we go find them.. It's a trap..." Serena said hotly.
"Well there's nothing to be done except to walk right into it and hope we can take whatever he throws at us," Venus said with a small shrug of acceptance.
"Well whatever he does throw at us, we can take I know we can!" Minimoon said, looking at each of her fellow Scouts. They all nodded.
"Then let us go. This way.." Mercury said, her visor flashing rapid numbers and readings. The Scouts nodded and set off.

Chapter Thirteen; Friday Night, Darkness' lair
They ran until they came to an obsidian arch, with two charred black doors in front of them. Jupiter kicked them open with a resounding crash, pumped with adrenaline, and the Scouts charged in.
The room was long, and made out of total obsidian. There were no windows, and it was lit only by the deep pit in the middle of it, where a roaring fire burned, tongues licking into the sky. On the other side of the fire they could see Darkness sitting there, looking at them almost lazily. Temptingly just within his reach sat Serena's locket and Belle's crook, both gleaming in the fire, which in itself seemed dark and evil. He smiled and rose, the Scouts immediately tensing. Mars shoved Belle and Serena in back of them.
"Well Sailors, you finally made it. Now is the time. It is the time for us to fight and decide who will rule this beautiful planet. Past.. feelings" his eyes were covered by shadows for a moment and he paused before continuing in an ice hard voice, "no longer matter." Belle seemed stung, but didn't cry out. If anything, her determination only deepened. "I kidnapped Moon and Aethena for the sole purpose of drawing you Scouts here, and took their tools only to make sure you all came. You may have them back now that you are here." He gestured and the locket and crook flew into the air as if thrown. Serena and Belle dashed forward and grabbed them.
"MOON ETERNAL POWER!"
"AETHENA SPECTRUM POWER!"
Eternal Moon and Sailor Aethena appeared, their transformations briefly lighting up the dark room. The tension grew. Sailor Moon glanced at Aethena and noticed briefly that her cape and mask were gone. Probably because she no longer needed to hide her identity. Her vision must sharpen when she becomes Aethena.. Sailor Moon thought absurdly, but returned her attention to Darkness.
"We're here.. Let's get on with it." She yelled and threw up her hand. "SILVER MOON THERAPY KISS!!" Darkness dodged the attack, which gouged out a hollow in the wall.
"MARS FLAME SNIPER" and "JUPITER OAK REVOLUTION" were both blocked. He snarled happily, the light of battle making his eyes glint intensely as he appeared in front of the Scouts of ice and fire, and sent Sailor Mars and Mercury with two swipes of his hand.
"DARKNESS!" Tuxedo Mask cried, swiping down with his cane, a dozen blood red roses flashing. Darkness' blade appeared and he knocked the roses away from him, blocking Tuxedo's cane. The two strained for a moment, Darkness up, Tuxedo down, until "SUBMARINE REFLECTION!" caught Darkness unawares and sent him flying into the wall.
Jupiter and Venus leapt to the attack sending "OAK REVOLUTION!" and "LOVE AND BEAUTY SHOCK!" whizzing at the cloud of dust Darkness had disappeared into. The attacks hit, not before Darkness appeared, unscathed, leaping out of the dust, hand on his sword.
He drew it and struck Pluto and Minimoon down, Saturn bringing her glaive slicing up. He gasped in surprise when the glaive sliced right through his sword and into his armor, but drew no blood. "Nice trick, death scout!" And he slammed the hilt of his sword into her head. She fell to the ground, knocked unconscious by the blow.
"DARKNESS LEAVE HER ALONE!!" He turned to see Neptune standing there, mirror in hand. Without another thought, she sent "SUBMARINE REFLECTION" whirling at him. It managed to drive him back for a moment before he brought his blade up and deflected it, sending the shattered remains of his sword flying with it too.
He leaped to the attack, and aimed a punch at Neptune. She blocked it and sent a kick flying at him, but he blocked it too, bringing his knee, lightning quick, up into her groin. She doubled over, and he slammed his fist into the back of her neck, sending her slamming into the ground.
Uranus tried to lift the heavy stone sword, but Darkness kicked it and sent it flying. She growled angrily and let loose with a vicious uppercut that sent him reeling. But he recovered quickly, moving his head out of the way of her punch and grabbing her wrist at the same time, bringing his other fist into her shoulder. There was an audible pop as it was dislocated. Another punch and she fell next to Neptune.
Next he took down Jupiter and Venus, both with efficient brutality. It was as if he was moving one by one, taking them all down. Mercury and Mars didn't have a chance either.
And then it was Tuxedo Mask's turn. Tuxedo Mask slashed down with his cane, but Darkness trapped it against the floor and with one well aimed stomp of his foot snapped it in half. A rose sliced the evil warlock's cheek, but he ignored it and instead kicked Tuxedo Mask across the room.
Aethena and Moon stood side by side, waiting for him. It was down to them, their friends had fallen. They were Earth's last hope. They knew it. He knew it. And he was enjoying it.
"LOOM.."
"SILVER MOON THERAPY.."
"TRANSCENDENCE!"
"KISS!"
The two attacks combined into a white and silver swan that swooped at Darkness. He laughed at the attack, easily sidestepping it, but with a supreme will of both of their efforts, the attack looped in the air and struck his unprotected back.
He cried out and fell, prone.
"Is he?.." Aethena started to ask, a little fearful of the answer, but Sailor Moon had already fled to her friends' aid. Aethena started towards them, but right then her foot clanged against something. She looked down.
Excalibur had been knocked towards her when Darkness had so easily disarmed Uranus. She picked it up, memories flooding back to her as she held the heavy stone thing in her hands.
She was standing next to the fire, the heat blazing against her bare skin. Darkness rose with a sudden thrust, and she gasped. But he didn't turn towards her, instead, he turned his attention to the other Scouts as if he didn't realize she was standing there.
"NOW DIE!!" He bellowed, and the Scouts, some of whom were just starting to wake up, were sent slamming into the far wall. Aethena gasped in horror as the energy in front of them began to build.
She understood.
He was building a wall of energy, and when he'd finished, he'd slam it into the Scouts and they'd be obliviated.
His back was to her.
It was him, or her friends.
Jake or Serena.
Her love or the world.
There was no choice.
"JAAAAAKE!!!" She screamed, tears already streaming down her cheeks. Darkness turned just in time to see her charge at him. He had no time to prepare, to strike up a defense.
She stabbed with Excalibur, the blade running through his body easily. Tears were streaming down her cheeks as she looked at him, his eyes already starting to glaze over
"My.. love..." He gasped, and drew her towards him, his lips meeting hers.
They kissed, and then, Darkness fell back and died. And as soon as his lips had broken contact with her, an inhuman scream ripped from Aethena's throat.
She turned Excalibur and thrust it into her own body.
And as her blood ran down the blade, which she cast from her, her body numb not feeling the pain, she fell beside Darkness, managing to lift herself up one more time.
She kissed him softly on his still warm lips.
"My only love..."

And the world erupted in light, and when it was gone, there was only an obsidian monument of simple rock where the two lovers had died, in the middle of a emerald field dotted with flowers.