Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ Musical: Some things Never Change ❯ Looking for Work ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER NINE
 
It was Monday, and time for a new week at school… and Garfield was already on his was... When suddenly, he ran into three of the schools toughest bullies in an alley shortcut.
 
“Well, well… lookie what we got here.” said one of them. “If it isn't Geek-field Lose-gan.” said another messing up his name.
 
Garfield rolled his eyes. “Whatever.” he simply said. “I got to get to school.”
 
The three boys quickly blocked his way. “Yo, just a minute there.” said the third. “Seems to me like you don't know who we are, do you?”
 
Garfield tapped his foot in annoyance. “All I do know is that your blocking my way.” he said. The three boys sweat dropped, and then stood in formation.
 
“We're the THREE J's!!” they all said.
 
“I'm… Justin!”
 
“I'm… Johnny!”
 
“And I'm… Jerald!”
 
They all stood together in formation, but to their surprise… Garfield just started walking off. “I don't have time for this.” he simply said.
 
The boys growled and then blocked his way yet again. “Whoa, whoa… you're not going anywhere chump.” said Jerald.
 
“Yeah… you're going to do as we say first, and give us your lunch money.”
 
“I haven't got any Lunch money!” snapped Garfield. “Now get out of my way! You're wasting my time.”
 
The boys had taken all they could. “Okay kid… we tried being peaceful.” said Justin. “GET HIM!!”
 
The boys lunged their fists for his face, but Garfield quickly dodged their blows by leaping high up overhead. “Come on, let's go get him!” snapped Johnny.
 
They chased Garfield all through the Alley, but he was just too fast for them to catch up to. He was even able to leap high up over the walls blocking his path, and he was able to scale the ladders and cross the pipe like he was some sort of animal.
 
“Can you believe this kid?” snapped Justin. “Why… look at him go. He runs like a Leopard… Leaps like a Deer Climbs like a Squirrel and is as Nimble as a Monkey.”
 
They gave up as he was already too far ahead, but they still didn't understand what was up with Garfield. What kind of kid was he?
 
 
Garfield's school day was no better than him getting there either. As a lot more of the students began to tease him and pick on him badly, even Jackie and Jillian.
 
Terra seemed to be the only one who actually gave a damn about Garfield's feelings. Yet, she still had no way of knowing how to help him out if he wouldn't forgive her for that police stunt she pulled on him.
 
Still, Garfield remained as calm and quiet as ever as he continued to earn his way up to the top, but as the week went by, every time he walked home, he really wished people would stop picking on him.
 
“Why does everyone have such a big problem with me?” he thought to himself.
 
(Music cue)
 
“Why can't they accept me for who I am… and not what they want.”
 
(Walking home)
 
(Garfield)
 
-I'm… So… lonely. So lonely.
So lonely and sadly alone.
There's no one, just me only
Living in my life of stone.
 
-I work very hard, and make up great plans.
But nobody listens, no one understands.
Seems like no one takes me seriousl-y-y-y-y
 
(In bed)
 
And so…I'm lonely.
(Sniffles) Really lonely…
 
(Walking down the school hall)
 
Poor little… Me.
 
(Gazes at happy couple through the bars)
 
-There's nobody I can relate to.
 
(Feeding the ducks, alone)
 
Fell like a bird in a cage.
It's kind of silly… but not really.
Because it's filling my body with rage.
 
(Standing on the school roof)
 
I'm the smartest, most clever, most physically fit.
 
(In his kitchen)
 
But nobody else seems to care about it.
When I change the world maybe they'll notice M-e-e-e-e-e-e!
 
But until then…
I'll just be lonely…
Yeah… really lonely.
Poor little… Me.
 
(Standing on his balcony)
 
I'm… so… Lonely-y-y-y-y-y-y.
 
One week later
 
It was bad enough Garfield was being bullied. On his way to school, he say two other Punk-boys holding up a pair if 3rd graders on their way to school.
 
“Leave us alone!” they cried. “Someone help us!”
 
Since no one else was around, for once Garfield decided to forget his calm natured ways, and save those two kids himself.
 
“There's no one coming for you kids.” snapped one of the boys.
 
“That's right… now hand over your lunch money and anything else you got in those backpacks before we get real mad!!”
 
The two young kids refused. So they bigger boys saw no choice. “Okay… you asked for it!!” they growled as they flexed their fists.
 
The two kids screamed, but before they got punched, Garfield came just in the nick of time and grabbed one of the boy's arm.
 
“HEY!!” he snapped. “If were as dumb as you two… the one thing I could stay in school for is TO LEARN SOME MANNERS!!” using his… Bear strength… he shoved the first boy back hard into a garbage-can.
 
“Hey, kid… you want manners… I'll give you some manners!” snapped the other one. He grabbed Garfield from behind. “Heh… wimp. I'm way stronger than you are.”
 
Garfield smiled wickedly. “You may be strong… but your not using your brain!” and he gave him a swift kick right in the middle of the stomach. He went down like a tree.
 
“Hey lets get out of here! That Cat's a Tiger.” and the boys ran off. The third-graders thanked Garfield, and then walked off to school.
 
Garfield didn't know what the heck he just did… but it felt good. Really good. The way he beat up those punks and saved those kids with his animal abilities.
 
When he got to school… he was starting to get picked on again, and as much as it urged him to fight off whoever did that. He just resorted back to being calm and quiet. After all, they were only words. No-Physical damage was done. So he let it go.
 
Besides… he still had work to do, and he also couldn't wait for gym class either. They were doing Basket-Ball today and a great chance for him to test out some of his other abilities.
 
Garfield's team really were hoping they would win. The other team was always so much faster and had higher reaches than they did… “Trust me… we'll do just fine.” Garfield said.
 
The game began and the opposing team already got 12 points ahead in the first three minutes, and Garfield's team was only up by 3.
 
The girl's, who were spending the period watching the game. Some, especially Jackie and Jillian, were routing for the opposing team as their boyfriends were on it. Terra on the other hand, and a couple of other girls were rooting for Garfield's team.
 
“How can you root for that kid?” asked Jackie. “There's no way his team can beat them?” added Jillian.
 
“Come on guys… they deserve to win at least once.” Terra said. “Give them a chance.”
 
By half time… the score was kind of one-sided. Garfield's team was only at 18, while the others were leading big by 48.
 
Garfield devised a plan. “Listen guys… no matter what you do, give the ball to me.” The team decided to trust him, and it was back to the game.
 
The opposing team got the ball fist, and they went for a three-point shot, but the shot was blocked, and Garfield got the ball. Using his leopard speed he tore across the gym and past all the players.
 
Then with a mighty big leap… he slam-dunked the ball. To everyone's amazement. “How did he do that?” snapped Jackie and she pounded her seat angrily.
 
During some of their breaks, Garfield even taught his teammates to use their brain power to outsmart the others, and did it ever work.
 
Even though they were shorter than most of the opposing players, Garfield's team had huge advantages after all. Such as… grabbing the ball and sliding under the opposing players legs.
 
22 to 48
 
Some even faked their passes.
 
34 to 48
 
Sometimes the opposing team did manage to score, but Garfield came up with new strategies every time, and his team kept on bringing up the rear.
 
Finally… it was down to the last ten seconds, and the score stood. 49-50. Now the opposing team was really getting aggressive. All they had to do was keep the ball away from Garfield's team long enough.
 
Garfield was standing on defense, waiting for the right moment. While in the seats, Terra was actually really hoping this would work. “Come on… you can do it.” she muttered under her breath.”
 
Five seconds left…
 
The opposing team threw the ball across the air, and Garfield jumped into the air and made the steal. Leaping over all the plays like playing leap-frog… he made pushed forward, he dove, he sunk it in.
 
BUZZ!! The time had run out, and Garfield's team won, 51-50.
 
The opposing team was most ashamed and angry, while Garfield's team went wild. All the players slapped high-fives with Garfield and gave him victory noogies.
 
Jackie and Jillian were really pissed. “Hey. No fair… he broke the rules!” snapped Jackie. “They ought to be disqualified… especially that kid.” added Jillian.
 
The Girl's Gym-Coach told them to keep quiet, because… “There is no rule that forbids jumping to high!” she snapped.
 
Terra was very grateful that Garfield's team won, but she still wondered… How was Garfield able to jump that high without the aid of anything else?
 
Suddenly, she realized he had been leaping and running like animals. Suddenly her head began to throb as a few flashes went before her eyes.
 
(Very blurry visions of her and Beast Boy.)
 
The visions were over in a flash, but Terra thought that was really weird. “You okay, Terra?” asked the coach.
 
Terra snapped herself out of her trance. “Uh… yeah, I'm okay.” she said.
 
After School
 
Garfield was at the convenience store getting some groceries. He sure had a really exciting day though. He saved two kids from getting beat up, and he became the Basketball hero of his class.
 
… And it was all thanks to his animal capabilities. “I don't know what's up with me… but I can't help but shake off this feeling that… maybe I have some sort of, super-natural powers.” he thought.
 
He suddenly got another idea… but it really didn't feel too smart. Besides… her really needed to focus on finding a job.
 
Suddenly… the door burst open and in came a looter with a shotgun. “All right you…” he snapped as he pitched a sack at the clerk. “Money… in the bag… Now!!” he snarled as he clicked his gun.
 
The other shoppers held their hands up high as the clerk nervously began loading up the money, but Garfield, who hadn't been seen my the looter, realized he would have to do something.
 
“MOVE IT!!” snapped the looter. “Move! Or I'll blow your beans out of you!!”
 
“Beans?” Garfield whispered, then he looked over the grill in the middle of the store behind the Looter's backside, and in the pot of Hot Baked beans for the hotdogs…. And he had an idea.
 
He ducked behind the shelves as the looter looked around. “Hey! Don't anybody move.” He shouted. “Don't make me hurt any of you!”
 
He turned back towards the clerk and was about to grab his money bag, when Garfield leapt for it, grabbed the hot tray and. “You, Dude… CATCH!!”
 
The loot turned around just in time to see Garfield fling the tray right at him… SPLUT!! The Rancid hot beans covered him from head to toe, and even right in the eyes.
 
He dropped his gun and SCREAMED in pain. “IT BURNS… IT BURNS!!!”
 
“Quick, get his gun!” Garfield shouted.
 
The Looter found his center again, and tried to run for the door, but Garfield, using his Leopard speed, and his strong jumps… he blocked the looter' way., and fight was engaged.
 
The Looter tried all he could, but this kid was like some sort of animal. Dodging all his blows like a monkey and fighting with the strength of a lion!
 
The Looter was knocked unconscious, and he was tied up.
 
“Oh… you brave young man.” said the clerk. “How can I ever repay you?”
 
Garfield asked if it was possible for him to get a job, unfortunately the store staff was already full. “But I may know of a place where you can get one.”
 
He handed Garfield a card that had an address to a TV and MUSIC studio. There, they made all kinds of videos and stuff to air on TV. Garfield decided he would try it out.
 
He also had something else in mind too… of yet another job he could have. It wouldn't pay pretty much anything, but he would first give it some thought too.
 
First… he needed to worry about money.