Trinity Blood Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Shadows of Time ❯ Chapter 14

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

 
Title: The Shadows of Time
Author: Ryukotsusei
Fandom: Inuyasha and Trinity Blood
Rating: NC 17

Warnings: Violence, torture, character deaths, language, lemons, spoilers for the entire series just to be safe, and the possibility of out of character characterizations. Read at your own risk.

Pairings: Tres Iqus x Kagome Higurashi x Abel Nightroad

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or Trinity Blood. The series belong to Rumiko Takahashi, and the late Sunao Yoshido. I make no money off of this fan fiction.


Special thanks to KogasHentaiLuver for taking the time to beta this chapter.
 
 
Chapter Fourteen
 
 
Sweat dripped from Kagome's brow as she held her arms taut, longing to give into the desire of release, but she couldn't yet. Her concentration was too fragile and to let go now would be premature. She had to hold on tight and keep that edge, lest she lose control yet again.
 
 
How could two men make her lose her focus so easily? To, utterly destroy her concentration and reduce her indomitable will to ashes with just one look. Even now they were doing it and she was helpless against the hold they had on her. Only her heavy breathing broke the silence, filling the air around her as she struggled to hold on. 'Just... Just another moment, I'm almost there!'
 
 
Only a moment later she let go, allowing the tension to snap. A rush of exhilaration coursed through her body when she gave in, her muscles quivering with the strain of release. “Oh God, I thought I was going to have to wait forever to get it where I wanted it to go,” Kagome said, wetting her lips before running her hand through her sweaty bangs.
 
 
“Your aim is improving, child, but I wonder if ye will have so long to take aim in battle? Your concentration seems off; might yon priest over there have something to do with it?” Kaede asked calmly from her seat where she was peeling vegetables for the evening's stew. Regardless of what anyone thought, she was not going blind in her old age and it was plain to see that there was an unbearable tension between Kagome and her new traveling companions. Nor was she stupid, she knew exactly what had happened, yet none of them seemed to be doing much to resolve the issue. Of course it didn't help that Father Nightroad continually went out of his way to avoid speaking with Kagome, yet somehow he still managed to stalk her during the day when he thought he wouldn't be noticed.
 
 
The question didn't exactly come as a surprise to Kagome, yet that didn't mean she had been looking forward to it. In fact, she'd been hoping the problem would resolve itself, or at the very least that Father Nightroad would quit treating her like she had the plague.
 
“You could say that,” Kagome said at last and made her way over to the older priestess. Perhaps an outsider's opinion was just what she needed. There wasn't anyone in the group that she could talk to, that was for sure. Miroku wouldn't say anything other than have fun while giving her a perverted grin, Sango had already made her feelings known. In fact, she didn't consider either one of them to be dating material, much less anything more. Inuyasha had told her to suck it up and tell the both of them how she felt and Shippo was just too young to consult. What she needed was advice from someone impartial.
 
 
“Do ye want to start or should I?” Kaede asked, keeping her voice neutral so as not to set the girl on edge. She'd been tense enough as it was and finally it had gotten to be impossible to contain her. Short of tying her to the bed, there was just no way of keeping her down and while Inuyasha had wanted to resume the hunt for Naraku, he knew that Kagome wasn't up to a hard trek yet either. So for now the girl was working off her frustrations as best as she could with her archery and Kaede was stuck watching over her to make sure she didn't overdo it.
 
 
“I guess I should,” Kagome said with a sigh and set the bow down, taking a seat next to the old woman, “It's Father Nightroad, I don't know what to do with him.” Well, she knew what she wanted to do with him, but that changed from moment to moment. In her more generous moods she wanted to indulge in the fantasies that she'd built up around him, and in her more frustrated times, she wanted to choke him senseless.
 
 
“Ye are referring to the complications that the bond has brought about for the three of you. Ye have found what ye were seeking in Father Tres, yet something is missing,” Kaede said wisely. She'd been well aware of the changes that bond was bringing about in the three of them. Had they come to her before performing the ceremony she might have been able to prepare them for what was to happen. However they hadn't and there was no reversing it now. Like it or not, they were going to have to let it run its course and accept the consequences of what came with it.
 
 
The statement had Kagome staring at Kaede in surprise, “How did you know? I mean... we haven't come out and said anything about it unless...” Suddenly her eyes narrowed in suspicion, “Did Inuyasha, or Sango say something about it?”
 
 
“Of course not, child. Ye act like I do not have a good eye to see with. Let me assure ye that I am not completely blind, I can see what is in plain view. The relationship ye have with Father Tres has grown closer and while ye have not yet cemented that bond, it's obvious that ye care for each other. Yet something holds ye back and I'm certain that it's Father Nightroad. Am I correct?” Kaede asked, cutting to the root of the problem. They weren't going to get anywhere if Kagome continued to dance around the issue and it wasn't as if there was anyone close enough to overhear. Had there been she would have been aware of it and taken measures to send off their listener. Now she watched Kagome and waited patiently for her answer.
 
 
With a sigh, Kagome nodded her head, “It's that obvious huh?” The bland look that Kaede gave her was enough to convince her that it had been a stupid question to ask. “I know I need to talk to him,” she began quietly,” but he won't let me close enough to do so and each time I try, he leaves. I can feel how much pain Father Nightroad is in, we both can. I just don't know what to do about it. How can I fix it if he won't let me try to help?”
 
 
Gently, Kaede laid a hand upon Kagome's and looked at her solemnly, “Before ye can think to aid him, ye must first come to terms with your own problems, Kagome. How can ye ask him to accept what ye are offering, when ye are not even certain of what can be given?” Had this been under any other circumstances, she would have advised the young woman in front of her to make her choice between the two men and never look back. However, there was no chance of that happening in this instance and the sooner the girl accepted it, the better off they'd all be. Until then, Father Nightroad would continue to suffer the worst and Kagome would be forced to bear witness to the man's inner turmoil.
 
 
“But I don't even know what I want. I mean, I do, but it's wrong and I can't ask them to accept something like that,” Kagome replied bitterly. How were having two lovers fair to either of them? If Father Nightroad had reacted so strongly to seeing her kissing his partner, what would happen if their relationship were to go any further?
 
 
“Ye continue to think in terms of right and wrong, child, instead of what is,” Kaede said sharply, causing the girl to look up at her in surprise. “In hesitating, you're causing needless suffering. Ye have a choice before ye, one that no other can make. Granted, the full ramifications of this bond were not explained to any of ye and for that, ye have my sympathies. But the fact still remains that until a decision is made, the one left out is being punished by indecisiveness.”
 
 
“So I'm just supposed to accept the fact that I'm going to have two lovers? What happens if neither of them is willing to settle for that?” Kagome asked in frustration. It wasn't the idea that bothered her so much, as the potential reactions from the two men in question if she were to suggest such a thing. She didn't want to jeopardize her friendships with either of them and she damned sure didn't want to give up what she'd just discovered with Tres either.
 
 
“I would imagine that it's not jealousy that ye would have to worry about, child. Neither of them strikes me as lack wits; surely they are aware of what is going on. Has either shown signs of jealousy towards the other?” Kaede asked even though she already knew the answer. Having Kagome around so often generally put her in contact with one, if not both men. While she might not be a part of this bond, she was adept at reading people and she could tell that Tres was concerned about his partner. Father Nightroad's feelings were more difficult to define, but when she saw him looking at the two, it was easy to see the look of longing in his eyes. Anger was there too, but it seemed to be more directed at himself than either Kagome or Tres. Of course, that could change in the future, but it was best not to borrow trouble before it came to pass.
 
 
“Not really,” Kagome said quietly, “they'll talk like they used to, provided I'm not around so it's obvious they don't hate each other.” It was actually that point that irritated her the most. Why was it that Father Nightroad acted like nothing had happened when he was around Tres, yet she couldn't get within ten feet of him without him leaving? Was he just that angry with her or was he afraid of what Tres might think if he saw them together?
 
 
“Then mayhaps they are more worried about what ye would want, rather than being concerned about each other's feelings. Again, the resolution relies within thyself, Kagome. Will ye continue to punish Father Nightroad for consenting to the bond or will ye accept what it is that must be done?” Kaede asked, putting the younger miko on the spot. Whatever was to happen, it needed to be done before they set out on the road again lest Naraku take advantage of the distraction.
 
 
“I guess there really isn't much choice, is there?” Kagome said wistfully, longing for the days that her life's troubles consisted only of making it to school on time. If what Kaede said was true, then this was the only option that was left unless she wanted to continue hurting the Crusnik. “Do you really think it will be so easy though?” she asked, turning a curious look on Kaede, “I mean, even if I tell him I don't mind, do you think he'll believe it?”
 
 
To this Kaede gave a humorous laugh, “Oh, I have no doubts that he will tell ye that you don't know what ye are consenting to. A tough journey lies ahead with that one, but perhaps it would be wise to remember that actions always speak louder than words. If yon priest will not listen to ye, then show him. Only then will he begin to understand that ye fully understand what such an action entails.”
 
 
“Assuming he doesn't push me away and bolt like a scared rabbit you mean,” Kagome replied dryly. Whereas most men were more than willing to accept displays of affection from the girls that they were interested in, she'd quickly come to realize that when it came to Father Nightroad, he wasn't like most men.
 
 
“I can only tell ye how to convince him, child. Actually doing so is up to ye. Allow him to feel thine decision through the bond, that alone will be more powerful than any words that could possibly be spoken,” Kaede advised, knowing that there was a good chance that experiencing what Kagome felt was likely enough to be his undoing. Of course, one could hope that the man would retain enough of his senses to hold himself in check; however, instinctive reactions with demons and other beings were always unpredictable. “A word of caution, Kagome?”
 
 
“Huh?” Kagome asked, blinking once, having been pulled out of her thoughts. “You're not going to warn me about evil, molesting priests too are you?”
 
 
“Evil? Nay. Molesting? That, child, is a possibility. Ye do not know how he will react to being offered what he craves. At least one of ye must maintain a clear mind, lest ye may end up with more than ye bargained for. Remember that when ye seek him out,” Kaede cautioned, although something told her that if Father Nightroad was to try anything, Kagome wouldn't exactly protest. However, if the girl hadn't spoken to Tres yet about what she had been considering, the man might come running in much the same manner that Father Nightroad had done. Explanations would be difficult, but necessary. 'I do not envy yon girl's position in the least. However, once they work through these problems, Naraku will not be able to stand against the threat they present to him.'
 
 
A blush stained Kagome's cheeks, but to her credit she didn't look away from the older woman, “I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I guess, I should probably see about hunting him down.” A sigh escaped her lips when she thought about that prospect, “He's going to know I'm coming for him and there's no telling where he'll disappear to.”
 
 
 
“So, let him come to ye, Kagome,” Kaede said with a touch of humor, “Even though these forests are well tended and kept free of intruding demons, Father Nightroad's sense of honor would protest the idea of ye venturing into them alone.” Of course, Inuyasha likely would as well, but if she happened to run into the hanyou before he noticed Kagome was missing, she should be able to keep him from following. All it would take would be telling him that the miko intended on talking to Father Nightroad about their current situation and they needed privacy.
 
 
“That's not a bad idea,” Kagome mused and looked in the direction she'd last seen her stalker. As predicted he was still there, pretending to help one of the village children tend the garden like Kaede had asked. It was close enough that he could keep her in sight at all times, yet far enough away that he couldn't hope to hear anything that had been said thus far. “I guess I should get started on that then, shouldn't I?” she asked and stood up to make a good show of stretching when she saw him looking in her direction.
 
 
Kaede nodded her head in encouragement and looked towards the bow that the miko had left on the ground, instantly recognizing just why Kagome had left it there. “Happy hunting, child,” she said with a laugh and returned to peeling her vegetables.
 
 
“Thanks, Kaede, you've helped a lot,” Kagome replied and gave one final look towards Father Nightroad. It didn't escape her attention how his eyes were glued to her now; it was time to put the plan into motion. Shrugging her shoulders slightly, she turned from the older miko and began walking away, not towards the village like he surely expected, but towards the Goshinboku. There was plenty of forest in between here and there, plenty of opportunities for the dangerous creatures of the forest to come calling for her.
 
 
Instantly, worry spiked through the bond and she knew who it resonated from, yet she paid little attention to it. 'Let him worry, if it means he comes storming up to ask what the hell I'm doing, then at least I've got him close enough to corner.' The thought might not have been the most compassionate, but it was certainly what she was feeling at the moment. The uneven ground made walking slower than she would have liked, however she wasn't about to overtax herself in this venture either. Getting hurt walking would be all Inuyasha and Tres needed to carry out their threats to tie her to the bed.
 
 
Of course, that didn't mean that she couldn't put on a bit of a show either. While her leg didn't exactly feel wonderful, it wasn't as bad as the others liked to try convincing her of. Still, playing up her injury a bit would suit her purposes just fine. When she came to a large tree, she paused and leaned against it for several long moments, feigning weariness. 'At least the breeze is nice,' she thought when it stirred her hair, helping to cool her off from her earlier workout. Yet that wasn't enough to tempt him out into the open, not that she thought it would be. The move had been merely the start of the game, forcing him to consider the possibility that he would need to confront her in order to make her return to the village to rest.
 
 
With a hint of exaggeration she pushed away from the tree and continued on, allowing her concentration to focus on the forest around her. It was difficult to contain the feeling of excitement she got from the possibility of getting her hands on the Crusnik, but somehow she managed and channeled it into something akin to apprehensiveness that could easily be attributed to the fact that she was alone and unarmed. So when a flock of noisy birds took off in front of her, it didn't take much effort on her part to jump in surprise and press a hand lightly to her chest.
 
 
“Get a grip, Kagome, there's nothing out here,” she said to herself, believing that her prey was within listening distance and would feed off of her projected nervousness. When a rather large cloud passed overhead, blocking out the sun she nearly chuckled with glee. 'Oh this is perfect, now anything could be there, lurking in the shadows and ready to eat little ol me.'
 
 
She turned to stare at a rather large, menacing looking bush as if something were about to jump out of it when she heard the slightest of noises. “It's... probably just a rabbit or something,” she said although she didn't turn her back to the “danger” that could be lurking there. Instead she backed up cautiously, as if she was prepared to run at the slightest sign of danger. 'Where are you Father Nightroad? I know you're nearby, come out and play.'
 
 
The looming presence behind her nearly had Kagome smirking, although she somehow managed to contain her amusement of the situation. `Just... another step back.' The warmth of his chest collided with her back, causing her to shriek in mock surprise and quickly spin around, bringing her hands up to his chest to push him away like she would if she were attempting to escape from someone. As expected, he hadn't been prepared for the force of the move and stumbled backwards, but Kagome wasn't about to let it go at that. Instead of bolting like she would have had the situation been dire, she threw her weight against him, further upsetting his balance and causing them both to fall to the ground in a tangle of limbs.
 
 
“Kagome! It's just me,” Father Nightroad gasped from his position with her sprawled on top of him, “You're safe now.” Really, he'd been about to say something to alert her to the fact that he was there and then escort her back to the village, but she hadn't given him much of a chance. How was he to know that she was going to back right into him, much less manage to lay them both out on the ground. “Oh dear heaven, you aren't hurt are you?” he asked worriedly, fearing that she might have re-injured her leg.
 
 
“Oh no, I'm fine now,” Kagome said from her spot on top of him. While it wasn't the most comfortable of positions to be in, she wasn't about to get off of him either. Not when she had him where she wanted him. However, she did shift a bit so that she was straddling his waist, keeping him from moving unless he wanted to forcibly remove her.
 
 
“Kagome, what are you doing?” Father Nightroad asked in a strangled whisper. The expression she wore now was... predatory and he wasn't quite sure what to make of it. Weakly he tried to move and found that despite the wrongness of the situation, he didn't want to go anywhere. Not when he could feel her through the bond as he was. Now there was no trace of the fear he felt earlier, merely a sense of great satisfaction like she'd planned this all along. It was disconcerting yet alluring at the same time but he wasn't entirely sure what to make of the position he'd found himself in.
 
 
“Making sure you don't go anywhere,” Kagome said quietly and leaned forward, placing her hands on his wrists, “We need to talk, and I'm tired of you running away from me.” The way his jaw set told her that he was more than prepared to be stubborn about the entire situation, but she wasn't about to give up now. Not when what the three of them needed was so close. All she had to do was reach out and grab it, and it would be theirs.
 
 
The statement had his eyes widening in surprise before he hardened his expression, “There's nothing to talk about and I haven't been running.” He knew that wasn't what she'd wanted to hear based on the way her fingers tightened around his wrists, but it was true. As far as he was concerned the matter was not up for discussion. “If that is all, please allow me to escort you back to the village,” he said quietly while trying to calm his need to give into his desires.
 
 
“Not until I have my say. You have been running and I'm tired of trying to chase you down. Am I really so repulsive now that you can't stand to be around me or are you afraid that you'll lose control?” Kagome asked, her eyes narrowing in contemplation of the man beneath her.
 
 
Abel shook his head in negation, “My control is absolute, losing it is not a concern, and no, you're not repulsive. However, it's not my place to interfere with what you've started and I'd appreciate if you respected my decision.” It was a partial truth at best, but Abel prayed that she wouldn't see through the part that was a lie. Every moment he remained close to her was a test of his will power. She called to him, beckoning him closer and having the girl touching him only made it worse. 'Heavenly Father, I do not know what caused you to forsake me, but please, give me the strength to remain strong in the face of temptation.'
 
 
“You're lying,” Kagome stated plainly and released one of his wrists in order to run her fingers over his lips, “I can feel it within you, clawing, demanding its freedom. You won't be able to hold it back forever you know.”
 
 
“I cannot give in, Kagome. I won't allow it to happen,” he whispered, steeling himself against the urge to touch her, “Please, let's return to the village now, before anyone notices our absence.”
 
 
Gently, Kagome moved her fingers to brush against his cheek, smiling softly when his hand came up to cover her own, “They won't come for us, Father Nightroad. While you've been avoiding me, we've been talking, trying to figure out how to ease your pain. Even now I imagine that Tres is waiting to see if you're ready to accept what must be.” That much at the very least she knew to be the truth, because she felt the redhead's presence nearby although it was a bit of a surprise that he was hanging back, letting her handle the situation. 'Thank you for trusting me to handle the situation, Tres. Let's pray this works because if it doesn't, we're out of options.'
 
 
Although he was mostly unaware of her inner turmoil, he knew that she wasn't about to give up easily and her words had him swallowing hard, “You don't know what you're asking for. There's no way that I can allow it to happen. Be happy with Tres and don't concern yourself with me. I'll be fine, really.”
 
It was nothing short of a lie, even he had to accept that much and the aching void that lay deep within him felt as if it was going to consume him. How much longer must he be tortured before the pain of loss would finally end? When would he finally be able to rest without wondering what heartache the next day would bring?
 
 
“Don't try to tell me what I do or don't know,” Kagome said firmly, staring down into his eyes, “I know what you want. I know what you need, what we all need. Do you think that we don't feel it as well? Every moment that goes by we can feel your suffering and there's only one way to stop it. Why won't you let us help you?” Longing reverberated through the bond between them and she knew he wanted to give in, but there was hesitancy there, a fear that would not be soothed. 'Think, Kagome, what is it that he could possibly fear more than anything else in this world?'
 
 
“You deserve better, as does Tres,” Abel replied quietly and made a token attempt at getting up before Kagome's grip on him strengthened. He really didn't want to have to use force on the girl if he didn't have to, but it was looking as if that's exactly what he would need to do if he hoped to get free. Yet he doubted that he could do such a thing, not when she believed she was doing her best to help him and so, he continued to lay supine beneath her.
 
 
The ache in his voice had Kagome wishing she could wash it all away, giving him the one thing that he needed, whatever it was. Her mind raced, chasing after the possibilities before she finally realized what it was that was holding him back, and then she knew the name of the demons that she must confront. Rejection and self loathing, two enemies she was intimately familiar with. 'No more, this ends here and now.'
 
 
“So you're saying we deserve to watch you slowly tearing yourself apart? You know, I wonder if this is really about you thinking that Tres and I deserve to be happy with each other or the fact that you don't think we could accept what you are,” Kagome said calmly and leaned forward until she was mere inches away from him so that he couldn't run from the issue. “Is that it, Father Nightroad? The truth, if you will. I've seen the way you look when your Crusnik form is mentioned. You refrain from talking about it if you have a choice and you wish to keep it concealed at all times, even though we all know it's there.”
 
 
Her words had him recoiling for a moment, but there was nowhere for him to run. Slowly he drew in a shuddering breath and prepared to speak the words that would cement the end of their relationship before it could even get started.
 
“Can you deny that it's repulsive?” Father Nightroad retorted, finally allowing some of his anger to show through, “It is the mark of my sins, a stain upon my soul. I've accepted it as who I am, but that does not mean that others can or even should. If you knew half of the crimes I'd committed before joining the church, you would shudder in fear and wonder if I might succumb to the desire to do them again!”
 
 
“Don't you dare play the stained soul card on me! There's not one of us in this group that has not killed, even Shippo has had to, and he's only a child. Haven't you figured out by now that none of us cares what you are, especially me? It doesn't even matter what you were before I met you! I've seen what you become when you change and I promise you, I'm not afraid. There's nothing that you could say or do that would make me run in fear,” Kagome stated firmly, standing her ground against his opposition. It was a dangerous game that she now played, provoking his darker side to the surface so that he might see the truth of her words. Even now she could see the subtle changes occurring within him, revealing glimpses of the danger that lay within, but she would not falter and give him the excuse he was looking for to completely withdraw from her.
 
 
“You need to realize that I'm not going anywhere, ever. I've accepted what's been given to us. I know that Tres will as well, you're the only one that's left to come to terms with what we've become,” she said quietly, watching him fight an inner battle that he was destined to lose. 'Give into it Father Nightroad, if this is what you need in order to come to terms with everything, then so be it. I'll help you through it, no matter how difficult it may be.'
 
 
The strength of her words snapped the last of his control that was holding the whirlwind of emotions within him. Immediately he sat up, pushing her into his lap and grabbing a fist full of her hair, forcing her to look up at him in surprise. “Are you sure about that, Kagome?” he asked darkly, his eyes turning crimson, signaling there was no stopping his impending change. The sound of her heartbeat filled his ears, spurring him on, but the delicious scent of fear was absent. Instead she was staring up at him in challenge, daring him to go further and indulge in what she was offering like a sacrifice to the gods.
 
 
While Kagome hadn't been anticipating the move he'd made, she certainly wasn't going to give voice to the surprise that she'd felt at the sudden move. Instead she relaxed in his grip, as much as her position would allow anyway.
 
 
“I haven't left yet, have I?” she countered immediately and ignored the way that his hand quickly tightened in her hair. Regardless of what he'd said before, his control was quickly eroding away and his transformation was almost complete. Even now his hair flowed upward on an invisible breeze, having been torn loose from the tie he usually kept it in and his features had taken on a more refined look. Dangerous was an all too accurate description of him right now, but then beautiful was quite fitting as well.
 
 
When he smirked down at her, she could see the wicked fangs that had no doubt taken countless lives in the past, yet she still felt no fear. 'For all the good he's done in this world, people still fear him. Perhaps that is a greater crime than the sins he believes himself to have committed.' In her mind it was the truth, for war brought casualties on both sides and fault rested solely in the mind of the one judging the crimes.
 
 
The look of acceptance the girl was giving him was ever so tempting and completely naive. On some level she still maintained the innocence of a child, but it would be something quickly stripped from her if she continued on this course.
 
 
“No, not yet, but we shall soon see how strong your resolve is,” he said darkly and ran his free hand up the along the front of her shirt before skimming along the slender column of her throat, “You say that you've both accepted this, but something tells me you haven't told Tres of your intentions. If you were truly set upon this course, you would have done so.”
 
 
“Or maybe he's been expecting it and can feel what's going on right now,” she retorted, denying the urge to give in and close her eyes to savor the feel of him touching her, “Search the bond, I'm sure you can feel his acceptance of the situation.”
 
 
Oh, Abel could feel that she was right about Tres having accepted something even if he wasn't sure what it was, but there was also a feeling of uncertainty to it. Perhaps his partner was worried about what was to happen, or perhaps there was the chance that the man was worried about him. There was just no way of knowing, not without drawing him out to the forest and confronting him like his instincts were demanding.
 
 
“I guess there's only one way to find out,” he replied darkly and lowered his head towards hers. There was no chance for her to get away, he wasn't about to give her that much. Ruthlessly he plundered her mouth, claiming it for his own and letting her know just what she was in for if she continued on her current course. There was no containing the desire that swept through his body and he allowed it to wash over her, overwhelming the girl with its intensity. 'Will you flee little one, when you realize just what you stand to lose? Your purity, your innocence and all chance at happiness will all vanish if you continue on this course.'
 
 
The emotions surging through the bond would have been enough to drive Kagome to her knees had she been standing, and she knew that he was attempting to scare her off. 'Not this time, Abel, there's no way in hell I'm going to let you go now.' Eagerly she returned the kiss, bringing her own hands up to the side of his face and encouraging him to continue. One way or another she was determined that he would see just how much they needed each other, even if it meant giving him everything in the end.
 
 
Slowly Abel pulled away and stared down into her heavily lidded eyes while his hand gripped at the front of her shirt, “So defiant, acting like this is a battle that you can win. Are you sure that you don't want to leave while you can? If you do, perhaps you can forget this ever happened and you'll have lost nothing.”
 
 
“Not a chance, Abel. You won't win this battle, not when I know the truth of what must be,” Kagome whispered only seconds before the sound of tearing fabric filled the air. There was no need to look down to tell her that her shirt was ruined, the breeze caressing her bared skin told her that much, but still she didn't make any attempt to move away. Instead, her hands moved from his shoulders and slipped them further down his chest to begin working on the buttons of his shirt.
 
 
The moment that her hands touched bare skin he groaned and pulled her closer. She was far too tempting and it was becoming more difficult to maintain his focus. However, when her lips brushed his neck he knew that he was lost. The ruined material of her shirt was tossed to the side and his hands began working feverishly on the hakama that she'd taken to wearing. When the knot refused to come undone he growled in frustration and tore through the belt as well before destroying the rest of the garment. Only when she was completely bare did he stop and take in her appearance, licking his lips as he did so.
 
 
The fact that she felt vulnerable and exposed didn't stop Kagome from completely unbuttoning his shirt, but she paused at the belts securing his pants. Desire to finish what they'd started coursed through her, yet she couldn't just continue without giving any thought to their silent watcher. Her eyes slid closed and she reached out to him through the bond, searching the feelings he was experiencing and while there was the bitter tinge of jealousy, there was also a great amount of curiosity as well. She knew that at some point they would need to talk about what was going to happen, but for now she had the reassurance she needed. Tres would not turn from her because of what she was doing and that knowledge would be what gave her the strength to continue.
 
 
“Finish it,” Abel whispered wickedly, his breath ghosting along her neck, “Or have you come so far only to stop on the threshold of gaining what you have claimed is your desire? Prove your words to me and then perhaps I will be convinced that this is truly what you want. No, what you need.” Slowly he guided her hand back towards the belts and grinned in satisfaction when she pulled them free.
 
 
“So bold,” he purred when she lowered the zipper on his pants, and slid her hand within the confines of the material to stroke his erection; however, he wasn't going to allow her to dictate the pace for very long. He was the one leading her down the path to decadence, not the other way around.
 
 
Through a dim haze, his words reached her, but Kagome was past the point of responding to his challenge, at least verbally anyway. Each move she made was hesitant; however, with each passing moment she grew bolder, taking greater liberties with caressing his heated flesh. From deep within the bond she could feel the war raging within him and felt his desire to take her right then and there. Instinct told her that he wouldn't be able to hold out for long and while she couldn't help but feel a trace of fear, there was also a great sense of freedom that came with knowing what was about to happen between them.
 
 
“Open your eyes,” Abel growled impatiently and tightened his grip on her, “I want you to see the danger that you court, little one. Know what it is that you are asking of me and realize that once you give yourself over, there's no going back.” As he spoke his hands trailed lightly down over the swell of her breast, sharp nails tracing over her delicate skin leaving fine, pink lines in their wake. The slightest of whimpers escaped her lips and were like music to his ears, yet it was a call of desire rather than of fear.
 
 
“I'm not afraid of you,” Kagome said breathlessly and then bit her lip when the priest's hand reached its goal and he slid a finger along her slick folds. For an instant she waited, wondering if he would dare to go further before he moved again, slipping his finger past her hymen, and working it further into her, one teasing inch at a time.
 
 
“Oh God,” she whispered and leaned closer to him as he inched it deeper into her body, teasing her with the knowledge of just what he intended on doing to her in just a few moments. Waves of heat coiled through her body, causing her to tremble when his thumb began to brush against her intimately.
 
“Speak not his name, for he has no place in the here and now,” Abel whispered and ghosted his lips along the side of her neck while inhaling deeply. Her scent called to him, begging him to take her just like she asked and he no longer had the will to fight it, not when she was so ready for him. The proof of her desire coated his fingers wetly, encouraging him to take greater liberties with her body.
 
 
Carefully he moved his hand and gripped her by the hips, urging her up just enough that he could shift beneath her. Once he felt the slick warmth that awaited him, he paused and whispered in her ear, “I'll give you what you desire, little one. Never look back, for there is nothing to be found for you in the past.”
 
 
Those haunting words were the last she heard before he began to flex his hips while pulling her down, forcing his hot length into her body and it took all of her willpower not to cry out with the pain that followed the intrusion. Painfully she clutched at his shoulders, holding on as best as she could while he took her virginity and left her breathless. While she'd known of what would happen, nothing could have prepared her for the reality of the fact. “Just... wait for a moment, please,” she gasped, willing her body to relax enough that she could think beyond the pain.
 
 
“Why? Do you wish to relish the pain and prolong your suffering?” Abel said darkly, maintaining his grip on her waist and pulled her closer to him to emphasize the point. The breathy moan that followed made him smile in satisfaction and he was pleased when she shifted again on her own, realizing the truth of his words. “Besides,” he whispered, “Why deny myself the pleasure of what you offer when you've all but given yourself to me?”
 
 
When he held her firmly in place, preventing her from moving, Kagome realized that he was right. Even the slightest movement was far preferable to being held immobile and her frustration was beginning to mount when she couldn't do more that tremble in place.
 
“Then take it!” she snarled at him in an attempt to get him to do something, anything to relieve the need that was now driving her to desperation.
 
 
“As you wish,” he said with a smirk and within moments he had them both laid out on the ground. With the miko on her side it left him free to move as he desired, but there was still a driving need to restrain her to a certain extent. The challenge she threw out would not go unheeded, not this time. Before she could do more than blink at him in surprise, he secured her leg over his arm. With agonizing slowness he withdrew until only the head of his cock remained within her and in the next heartbeat he drove it in to the hilt. The look of astonishment on his lover's face pleased him greatly and he found himself needing to see more.
 
 
“Is this what you wanted? To be possessed completely by someone you could never hope to understand?” he purred, thrusting slowly but deeply, drawing out each pleasurable moment to its fullest. The feel of her was exquisite with her body wrapped around him so tightly and he was loath to give into his own release so quickly.
 
 
The arrogant tone had Kagome glaring up at him despite just how vulnerable she was at the moment. “I... understand... far more than you give me credit for,” she panted, throwing her head back when he slammed into her with a vicious growl. It was obvious his intent was to scare her, but there was no way in hell that was going to happen. In fact, the way he possessed her only served to further fuel her own desire.
 
“Enough talk,” she groaned wantonly and tangled a hand in his hair, tugging until his lips were mere inches from her own, “Show me what it means to belong to you, Crusnik.”
 
 
That was all it took for Abel to roll her onto her back and force her to wrap both of her legs around his waist. If she wanted him, she was going to get all of him, with no holding back. When his lips found hers, they parted eagerly and allowed his tongue to slip inside; muffling the whimpering that came with each aggressive thrust he gave her. For too long he'd denied himself that which he wanted and the time for waiting was over, she was his and he'd gladly remove the head from any man which sought to take her from him. Possessiveness overwhelmed him with the thought that anyone might try and his grip on her tightened.
 
 
Kagome barely noticed the stinging sensation that came from his claws breaking her skin, but she became acutely aware of when he seemed to pause. “Don't stop,” she whined and shifted beneath him, trying to get him to finish what he'd started. She was ever so close to achieving release and that he would take that moment away was nothing but pure torture. However, when he began to lick at the thin lines of blood that had begun to flow from the wounds, her mind fogged over with the pleasure that resonated through the bond with him.
 
 
“Like that, do you?” Abel asked teasing, licking his lips of the crimson fluid that stained them. A wicked grin crossed his face when she gazed at him with lust filled eyes, barely able to nod in answer to the question. The duel assault on her body had pushed her to the brink and it had left her in a daze, feeling nothing but the pleasure he could give her.
 
 
It was all the permission he needed to continue. He found that her blood was ever so sweet and while feeding on humans did little for him, he found he could easily get addicted to the taste of her. Eagerly he returned to her neck and bit deeply, savoring the taste of her blood. The reaction was immediate and he could feel her body clench around him as she came, her cries of pleasure filling the air around them. It was too much, far too much for him to withstand and the fragile control over his body snapped in an instant. His slow thrusts became rough, almost brutal as he drove into her repeatedly, his need becoming far too great to give thought to anything but the feel of her around his cock. With one final thrust he came deep within her, his body trembling with the pleasure that came from such a sinful act.
 
 
For several long moments he was unable to move and then it seemed all of his energy left him. With great effort he managed to roll them back onto their sides before he collapsed on top of her and for a short time there were no words spoken while they fought to catch their breath. With the disappearance of his Crusnik form, clarity came to him and he was hit with the enormity of what he'd just done. Not only had he become weak and given into temptation, he'd purposefully injured her in the process. The scratches and bite to her neck could never be mistaken for an accident and the blood trickling across her neck seemed to mock him, reminding him of everything he hated about himself.
 
 
“Don't,” Kagome whispered, immediately sensing his apprehensiveness. It was imperative that she moves quickly to reassure him, before everything that she had just accomplished vanished into thin air, “Don't regret; don't look back. Isn't that what you told me? I'm glad it happened, don't pull away from us again. Please.”
 
 
She knew that these first moments after were likely to be the hardest and she didn't want to give him the opportunity to withdraw into himself again. Her hand moved up to cup his cheek and she willed the strength of her emotions to reach him through the bond. He needed to know just how much she needed him and he needed to realize how much he needed her as well.
 
 
“But I hurt you,” Father Nightroad whispered mournfully, eying the gashes he'd left on her body. 'This is... unforgivable. Worse than dishonorable, she had no way of fighting against what I did.' He couldn't understand why she wasn't pushing him away, demanding he get away from her. In the end he'd lost control with the girl, something he'd swore that he'd never do. 'I'm a fool, I should have realized it would come to this.'
 
 
“That doesn't matter, Abel. It was... a unique experience and I don't regret it,” Kagome countered softly before pressing her lips to his in a gentle kiss. When she pulled back she smiled gently at him, “Don't you see? I won't leave you, not for any reason and your fears about coming between me and Tres are groundless as well. Please don't throw it all away because you fear what other people might think.”
 
The mention of his partner was yet another complication that Abel wasn't prepared to handle. Wearily, he closed his eyes and tried to figure out how he was going to deal with the repercussions of what just happened. Even if Tres had accepted that eventually he'd be forced to share the woman he'd begun to fall in love with, that didn't mean that the man had come to terms with everything that it meant either. In many ways it was difficult to determine just how the redhead would react, simply because he had no experience to base those reactions on. 'Dear lord, he might decide to use me for target practice and I can't say as I blame him.'
 
 
“He's going to kill me,” he muttered at last and shielded his eyes by throwing his arm over his face. Somehow he just knew that regardless of what Kagome said, judgment day was close at hand and there was no way in hell his partner wouldn't take offense to what he'd done. If nothing else, he'd seen the look in the man's eyes the one time he'd put his mouth on the miko and that was to treat her when she was injured!
 
 
The statement had Kagome raising a brow and propping herself up on one arm, “I think if he was going to do that, he would have already.” When the Crusnik uncovered his eyes long enough to look at her questioningly, she jerked her head over towards the tree that the redhead was currently leaning against. While his expression was virtually unreadable, she could feel Tres' emotions through the bond, and one thing was for certain, even if he was more than a bit jealous, he'd enjoyed the show that he'd gotten.
 
 
“Oh good heaven!” Father Nightroad exclaimed and sat up abruptly in surprise. The last thing he'd expected to see was his partner standing there like he was posted on guard duty. Even though it was pointless to attempt straightening his clothing, that didn't stop Abel from making the attempt anyway; eventually he gave up with a groan, “Should I ask how long you've been standing there, Tres?”
 
 
“Long enough,” Tres stated blandly and walked over to Kagome, unbuckling his jacket as he went. The tatters of her clothing were thrown off to the side and he knew there was absolutely no way that he would allow her to walk back to the hut in the nude. Wordlessly he handed the heavy garment over to her and then turned his attention back to Father Nightroad, his expression devoid of emotion, “I trust that we will have no further complications with your lack of acceptance on the current situation.”
 
 
“Have you both gone mad?” Father Nightroad asked incredulously, unable to believe what he was hearing, “Doesn't this bother either of you at all?”
 
 
“Negative, expediency was the best course of action to resolve the conflict. When it became obvious that you were unable to adequately deal with the issue, it became apparent that either Kagome or myself would have to take action. She wished to be the one to confront you, and the method to be utilized was left to her discretion,” Tres replied with a shrug of the shoulders.
 
 
Truthfully, what he'd just witnessed did bother him to a certain extent, but he'd been present while listening to Kaede speak to the girl, even if they hadn't been aware of it. It'd been simple to follow along shortly after, giving Kagome enough time to initiate the conversation that had followed. However, in some ways, Abel had been right. Knowing in your mind what was going to happen was much different than witnessing it and it had taken all of his will power not to interrupt them. It was a necessary move, albeit one that he truthfully could have gone without. But to speak of his misgivings would only serve to further complicate the situation which was something they couldn't afford.
 
 
“So then you knew what she was planning?” Father Nightroad asked quietly, unsure of how to react to what he'd just heard. Something inside told him he should be furious with the both of them, but he just couldn't. Were they really so worried about him that they'd give up something they could have together, without his interference just to make sure he wasn't suffering. He'd met many selfless people in his lifetime, but the actions of these two had rendered him speechless.
 
 
“Negative, even Kagome was unaware of what the outcome of this confrontation would be; however, I believe she made the appropriate choice,” Tres said, meeting the Crusnik's gaze and gauging his reaction to what had just been said. It was helpful that the man was considering what they were telling him, instead of just reacting out of instinct, but Tres sincerely hoped this confrontation would drive the lesson home so things would be balanced once more between the three of them.
 
 
There wasn't much that Father Nightroad could say to that, so for a moment he remained silent, considering his options. Pretending that this had never happened, while an appealing idea, was completely out of the question. It would be beyond dishonorable on his part to have become intimate with the miko only to treat her as nothing more than a passing acquaintance afterwards. Yet, he wasn't sure how he would be able to take the knowledge that he had to share her either. While his partner seemed to have accepted what had happened, would he himself have been able to do the same if the roles had been reversed?
 
 
In the end he decided that it was a question he couldn't answer, at least not at the moment. The true test would come when Kagome approached Tres again with something more than conversation in mind and he could only hope that he would have the strength to accept it. Finally, he looked at the both of them who were watching him quietly, waiting for his answer, but he couldn't give it to them just yet.
 
 
“What of the others?” he asked at last. While he knew that Inuyasha would accept what had happened, that didn't mean the others would as well. Gut instinct and her previous reactions told him that Sango, at the very least, would be furious beyond reason.
 
 
“Does it matter as long as we're happy with what's happened?” Kagome asked while clutching Tres' coat tightly to her body as if it would protect her from the possible rejection that loomed on the horizon, “I'm sure that there will be some hard feelings, but in the end it isn't their decision. It's ours and they'll just have to accept it. We were brought together for a reason, Abel; I'm not going to allow their dissent take that away. Will you?”
 
 
It was then that Father Nightroad truly realized just how precarious Kagome's position was at the moment. Tres stood nearby, stoic as ever yet he could see the way he kept his attention centered on the miko. After everything that happened, if he were to push her away now it would be dealing a devastating blow to her trust. Ultimately it would affect them to the point where it would be unlikely that they could even remain friends, despite the bond that tied them together.
 
 
“If you're both sure this is what you want, then no. I suppose that what they think doesn't matter,” he said at last. Inwardly he could only pray that his one moment of weakness wouldn't bring consequences that none of them were prepared to deal with.
 
 
The concession was enough to bring a smile to Kagome's face and he could feel the relief flooding through the bond from both her and Tres. Moments later he had his hands full with one miko who had latched onto his side. Cautiously he wrapped his arms around her to return the hug while looking at Tres who nodded his approval. For now he allowed himself to savor the embrace; however, he knew that it couldn't last forever.
 
 
“We should be getting back, he said at last. I don't think you want someone like the monk to come looking and find us all in this state,” he said with the slightest traces of amusement. At least with Miroku all they were looking at was some thinly veiled innuendos, with Sango they might be looking at bloodshed. 'She did threaten to remove my hands if I thought about touching Kagome. I shudder to think of what she'd remove if she knew of what just happened.'
 
 
“You might be right, we don't want to give Miroku any more reasons to be perverted than he already is,” Kagome said after pulling away. However, she stopped after giving him a once over and giggled, “You might want to fix your clothes first though. It's going to be bad enough that I'm missing all of my clothes, we don't need them seeing you in all your... glory either.”
 
 
“I'm beginning to wonder if Miroku's having a bit too much influence on you,” Father Nightroad remarked dryly and once more set about fixing his clothing. Now that he wasn't quite so flustered, things went much more smoothly although he had to sigh at the rather obvious stain on the front of his pants. 'I suppose that this will teach me to remove all my clothing next time. Hopefully no one will notice.'
 
 
“Actually, I think you have Shippo to thank for that. By the time I met up with him again, he'd become rather... worldly,” Kagome said with a sheepish grin. What she'd said about Shippo had been the truth, even if it was hard to imagine right now because he was but a child. However, in the future his escapades were quite insightful and he'd had no qualms about sharing any of them with her.
 
 
With a bit of effort she managed to get to her feet and stand beside Tres in spite of the fact that his jacket trailed the ground behind her by a good two feet. “Wow, this jacket weighs a ton, Tres. I guess I should be grateful you didn't bother with the armor this time huh?” She commented with a wry grin directed at the redhead.
 
 
“Full battle dress is unnecessary at the current time,” Tres remarked casually, glancing down at the miko who had almost vanished beneath his clothing.
 
 
“Yeah, yeah. I'd say full attire is unnecessary at this time too,” she replied cheekily, and ran her finger over his bare chest for emphasis, “That reminds me, your shirt is done. Next time be more careful when training with Inuyasha please? If you keep getting it torn, it won't be long before I can't mend it anymore.”
 
 
Tres merely inclined his head in response, but didn't say anything. Hand to hand combat was hard on any clothing and with his change in physical status, he felt the heat more acutely than he had before. Fighting in full battle dress just wasn't always the most appropriate of actions when one took heat exhaustion into account.
 
 
Father Nightroad shook his head and finished buttoning up his shirt, “I don't think you're going to have much luck on that front, Kagome. Just be happy that a shirt is easily replaced. Shall we go now?” As much as he'd like to stay out here, preferably until the entire village was asleep, he knew it just wasn't possible. Already he was envisioning the strange looks they were likely to get, but there just wasn't any avoiding it.
 
 
“Yep, I guess we have to face the music sometime,” Kagome replied and began walking towards the village, albeit rather slowly with the heavy coat limiting her movement. The two men immediately put her between the both of them, most likely to prevent anyone from approaching her to ask if she'd had an accident or something. As soon as they emerged from the forest, she could tell this was going to be an extremely long walk through the village because it seemed like everyone had stopped what they were doing to gawk at them.
 
 
“Dammit, can't they look somewhere else? It's not like they haven't seen my legs before or anything,” Kagome muttered beneath her breath and double checked her hold on the jacket to make sure that nothing else was showing. There just wasn't any helping that from about mid thigh down, the garment parted as she walked, exposing most of her legs to the village's view.
 
 
“We'll be back to the hut soon and then you can get dressed,” Father Nightroad replied quietly and tried not to look guilty when some of the villagers looked at him rather suspiciously.
 
 
“It would have been nice if I would have had my own clothes to wear back you know,” Kagome pointed out helpfully, mourning the loss of her underwear. It wouldn't have been so bad walking back in the jacket if she weren't constantly worrying about a breeze coming along and causing the material to part, giving the world a view that they weren't meant to see.
 
 
The statement had Father Nightroad casting a sidelong glance at her with an eyebrow raised, “Yes, well that, my dear, is entirely your fault for being too tempting. Next time, take care to remove them unless you enjoy walking around in Tres' clothing.”
 
 
“So you're admitting there will be a next time then?” Kagome asked with a smirk and then starting laughing when the Crusnik started to sputter in shock that she would be so bold as to ask such a thing.
 
 
“If it is your intention of drawing attention to yourselves, you are succeeding,” Tres informed them while trying not to chuckle at how flustered the miko had just made his partner. The two of them were making no efforts to be quiet and now there were quite a few scandalized looks being thrown in Father Nightroad's direction. It wasn't every day that someone defiled one of the village mikos and it was quite likely that the news would spread through the entire village by the time the sun had set.
 
 
“Fine, we'll continue this later,” Kagome said, lowering her voice just enough so that it wouldn't carry beyond the three of them. Fortunately, for all concerned the hut was in sight and soon they'd reach the safety of being indoors. Of course, there was a good chance that it wouldn't be unoccupied when they got inside, which would bring its own problems, but at least the villagers would no longer be an issue.
 
 
“Of that I have no doubt,” Father Nightroad muttered beneath his breath and then shut his mouth, not really wanting to taunt her into pushing the issue right now.
 
 
The rest of the walk was continued in silence and when they finally reached the hut, they all breathed a collective sigh of relief... until they stepped inside anyway.
 
 
Five pairs of eyes landed on them the moment the three of them walked through the door and Father Nightroad swore this was what it meant when one mentioned a person as having a 'deer in the headlights' expression. The surprise; however, did not last long and within moments, Sango had all but ordered Shippo to leave the hut. It was then that he knew they were in for it and it was tempting to follow the kit out, at least to spare himself the headache of what was coming. 'Assuming that would work. I'm sure that she would follow and drag me back if she thought it necessary.'
 
 
“Ah, Lady Kagome. It would seem that something has happened to your clothing. Please don't tell me that another monkey demon has made off with them while you were bathing,” Miroku said, his eyes sparkling with mischief. Oh, he was well aware of just what had happened the moment they'd walked through the door because when Kaede had returned, she'd spoken of the little talk they'd had. Not to mention, she'd cautioned against any of them going after the girl, which, by the looks of things had been very wise advice. Interrupting such a personal moment would have been disastrous for all involved, even if the view would have been rather nice until they'd noticed they had an audience.
 
 
The scowl Kagome threw at the monk was cold enough to ice water over. “Don't make me beat you, Miroku,” she warned dangerously. It would figure that he was perverse enough to find humor in this, even though his own fiancé looked ready to breathe fire.
 
 
“I'll be back in a few minutes, I need to get dressed,” she said and hurried out of the room. The sooner she got changed and came back, the faster she could do damage control. If it weren't for the fact that her undressed state was likely to cause more problems than fix, she wouldn't have left the two to face the music alone at all.
 
 
“You won't have to,” Sango said to the girl's retreating back and smacked the back of Miroku's head in irritation, “Can't you stop being a lecher for even one minute?”
 
 
“But, Sango! It was a perfectly valid question,” Miroku protested and rubbed the back of his head. It didn't matter that the woman no longer had her Hiraikotsu, she still packed one hell of a punch when she wanted to.
 
 
“Will you two shut the hell up?” Inuyasha snapped in irritation. He was ready to pummel the both of them in order to spare himself the headache that he knew was coming. Fortunately, the glower he gave them was enough to cease the squabbling that was about to commence and for that he was grateful.
 
 
Now that one problem was solved, Inuyasha turned to the other two thorns in his side, “So, did you finally get it worked out or did Kagome just go through all that for nothing?”
 
 
So help him if the Crusnik didn't pull his head out of his ass after all this, he was going to remove the damned thing for him and solve the problem. Sure Kagome would be pissed and hurt, but if it were for the best then he'd do it and deal with the consequences later.
 
 
“The problem has been resolved,” Tres replied curtly and moved to stand beside the door that Kagome had disappeared through. The slayer kept looking between Father Nightroad and that door, leading him to believe that sooner or later she was going to attempt to confront the miko. That; however, was something he wasn't going to allow to happen, not unless Kagome wanted it. As the girl had said before they'd returned, it didn't matter what any of their teammates thought of the situation, it wasn't their choice.
 
 
Although the answer was meant to pacify him, Inuyasha wasn't having any of it. “I want to hear it from him, not you,” Inuyasha said, jerking his head towards Father Nightroad. That was the man that had been giving Kagome hell for the past week with his avoidance; he wanted to hear it from the Crusnik's own lips.
 
 
“He speaks the truth, we've worked things out,” Father Nightroad replied, meeting the hanyou's gaze although guilt still made him want to look away. There were still unanswered questions, but he didn't want to speak them and give Inuyasha a reason to continue the line of questioning if he didn't have to.
 
 
Several seconds ticked by while Inuyasha contemplated the priest's answer before he nodded, “Fine. I don't think I have to tell you I think it's pretty fucking stupid that she had to go that far to get you to figure out what the hell you were doing. I can't say I'm happy that she did that in the first place, but I can't keep her on a leash and like she keeps pointing out, she's a big girl. But let's get one thing straight, if you decide all of a sudden that it was a mistake and go back to that shit you were doing before, she's not going to have to worry about how to bring you back in line. I'll remove you from the damned equation and to hell with this bond crap, so you better take good fucking care of her from here on out. Do we understand each other?”
 
 
The threat had Father Nightroad bristling, but he knew where the hanyou was coming from so he allowed it to slide, this time. If it hadn't been for the fact that the thought had crossed his mind in the very beginning he would have taken grave offense to the accusation that he was capable of such a thing in the first place.
 
 
“We understand each other perfectly. By the same token, I expect that no one will persecute Kagome for the actions that she's taken. Neither Tres nor myself will tolerate it, so if any of you have any grievances, I suggest you air them to us now, rather than her later. Rest assured that if it happens, we will know about it and take appropriate action,” Father Nightroad stated quietly while giving Sango a pointed look. Out of all of them, she was the one he expected the most trouble out of and it was best to address it now, rather than later.
 
 
“I don't suppose either of you have thought about how you've just branded her in the eyes of the villagers. It's bad enough that they know she's no longer pure, but then you parade her through the middle of the village like that? Have you no decency?” Sango spoke up, rising to the challenge and seething with the indignation of what had been done to her friend. This was no longer about the bond or what had to be done. She'd heard it enough times from not only Inuyasha and Miroku, but Kaede as well. Now it was the manner in which it had been done in.
 
 
“While the circumstance may not have been optimal, there were extenuating circumstances which could not be avoided. As to her status among the villagers, Kagome was never appointed to the position of village priestess. Purity has no bearing on the situation,” Tres responded, his voice tight and controlled yet there was an underlying current of vexation. It was clear that he was tired of the posturing that was going on and it wouldn't be long before he put an end to it.
 
 
Sango turned her attention to the redhead, her eyes narrowed, and her fists clenched at her sides, “Do you think that really matters? They still know her and they're still going to remember what the two of you are doing to her. Kagome was well respected around here and what you're doing will make her seem like nothing more than a prostitute that you...”
 
 
“That's enough!” Inuyasha snapped and glared at the woman, “If you're going to bitch then find something else to harp on. Kagome's reputation here was never as high as you keep making it out to be and you know it. Or do I have to remind you of how often people looked down on her because of the clothing she wore when we were collecting the damned shards!”
 
 
“Oh so now you're going back to not caring about her, huh? I should have figured, you did it enough while we were hunting the shards and you continually tore down her self esteem. If I didn't know better I'd say this was all your fault to begin with! She wouldn't have thought about having a relationship like this if it wasn't for that crap you pulled with her and Kikyo!” Sango snarled, venting her anger and frustrations on the hanyou because he made himself an easy target.
 
 
“Don't you even bring Kikyo into this, Sango. The problems we had were nowhere near the same as what's going on with Kagome. Are you so pissed at what's happened that you'd malign the dead just to make your damned point?” Inuyasha yelled, standing up to face the woman down.
 
 
Sango glared up at the hanyou, her eyes darkening with anger, “It has nothing to do with maligning the dead, Inuyasha! All I'm saying is that if you'd made a damned choice sooner, this never would have happened. Doesn't it bother you that you let Kagome go? It's not like you couldn't have had her if you wanted her, you were just stuck on Kikyo and now look at what's happened!”
 
 
“Don't even think to pin Midoriko's actions on me, wench. She's the one that brought them both back with Kagome. She's the one that gave them the damned bond, I had nothing to do with it,” Inuyasha retorted hotly, “Sure I've made a lot of mistakes in my life and how things happened between me and Kagome might be one of them, but I'll be damned if I'm taking responsibility for this one. Kagome's made her choice and as long as she's happy then I'm fine with it.”
 
 
“She might be happy now, but what happens when she realizes what this means for her? People are going to treat her differently than they would otherwise when they learn about the two of them,” Sango declared, flinging her arm out towards Tres and Abel for emphasis.
 
 
 
 
“Don't tell me you think she's going to be walking around with a sign on her back announcing to the world she's got two lovers. Fact of the matter is, they probably won't know what the hell is going on between the three of them unless someone goes running their mouth,” Inuyasha snapped. Why the woman was having such a hard time accepting it he would never understand, but then, maybe he wasn't meant to. Long ago Kagome had flipped out on him for asking if he could have both her and Kikyo, leaving him to question if the girl had lost her mind at the time. Now he was beginning to believe it was a prerequisite for women to be overly dramatic. 'It's a female thing, it has to be. They're all crazy and we're doomed to be caught in the middle of their insanity.'
 
 
“Can we get off of the topic of my purity or lack thereof please?” Kagome asked as she walked back into the room. Really, if the villagers hadn't known before they'd come into the hut, they did now with all the yelling that was going on. With a sigh she fixed Sango with a pleading expression, “Look, what's done is done okay? There's no going back, no changing it and there's no reason to blame Inuyasha for this. He didn't do anything, but point out the obvious to us. I'm happy with the way things are, and that's what's important. I'm not asking you to like it, just accept it. Please?”
 
 
As much as Sango wanted to continue protesting, to argue that what Kagome was doing was wrong, she knew that it'd be pointless. No one, it would seem, was going to listen to her and Kagome was going to do what she wanted regardless.
 
“Fine, I'll give you that much, but I don't have to like it,” she said in resignation although her voice remained tight with the anger she was holding back. That didn't stop her from giving Tres and Abel one final glare though. No matter what happened, she just couldn't bring herself to forgive the two of them.
 
 
“Thank you, Sango,” Kagome said and managed to give the other woman a grateful smile. She knew how hard it was on her friend to accept what had happened and why it was so difficult. Times were vastly different from where they both came from. Add into it that she'd been around to contemplate just how important some things were, it gave her a perspective that was far different from most people. Like it or not this was just something Sango would have to accept and while she felt for her friend she wouldn't change this particular outcome if she could.
 
 
Now that one problem was solved though, Kagome needed to address another one and it wasn't exactly something that she was comfortable talking about with all the males present. Worry about the future had begun to plague her and it had brought to her attention a problem that needed to be addressed, and quickly. In fact, somehow she doubted that Sango would even have the answer to her question so she turned pleading eyes onto Kaede, “Can we... uh, talk? I've got a rather important question.”
 
 
Slowly Kaede nodded and pushed herself up off of the floor, beckoning the girl to follow her to one of the back rooms. Surely if the young woman didn't want to bring it up in front of the others it had to be important, or embarrassing. Once they were safely behind a closed door, she looked at Kagome curiously, “What is the question, child?”
 
 
“Um, how should I put this?” Kagome asked, squirming under the old woman's scrutinizing gaze, “Is there any... uh, birth control available in this time period. Like a tea or something? I mean, I want a family and all, but until Naraku is gone I don't think it'd be a good idea.” That was a bit of an understatement. To get pregnant now would be a disaster they didn't need and with her luck, she'd be lucky if she weren't already from sleeping with Abel once already.
 
 
Understanding lit up in Kaede's eye and she nodded, “Aye, Kagome. There are plants that ye can take that would prevent conception from occurring. But ye must be diligent in taking it every day, lest it lose its effectiveness.” With that she began to move around towards a chest in the corner of the room and lifted its lid, to access the contents within. “So I take it that yon priest was telling the truth that the problem has been resolved, if ye are asking me for such precautions.”
 
 
“You could say that,” Kagome muttered although she wasn't any more forthcoming with any information. If Kaede was outright asking if her experience had been good enough that there would be a repeat performance, she was just going to have to content herself with whatever answer her imagination was willing to provide, because she was not going into specific details.
 
 
“Then I am happy for ye, Kagome,” Kaede said and removed two small satchels of herbs from the chest. “This is what ye require. Each morning take a pinch from each and steep it in hot water for three minutes. Be sure to drink it all and if ye miss a day, refrain from any risky activities until the moon travels its full cycle, otherwise I cannot guarantee its effectiveness. I don't think I need to warn ye to avoid indulging in such activities for now until the medicine has had a chance to take effect.”
 
 
“Thank you, this'll mean one less thing to worry about,” Kagome said and took the herbs from her mentor. Now it was just a matter of making sure that the guys understood that until she was certain that the medicine was in effect, they weren't going to be able to have a repeat performance of earlier. 'Well, as far as Abel goes anyway. Poor Tres had to sit there and look, but not touch. I'll have to make it up to him somehow.'
 
 
“Whenever ye need more, come and speak to me. I'll keep a supply on hand,” Kaede said and gestured towards the door, “Come, leaving them alone for too long would be unwise.”
 
 
“Isn't that the truth?” Kagome muttered beneath her breath and followed the old miko back out into the main room. All conversation stopped when they were noticed and it was just as well. It looked as if another argument had been about to begin. Something told her this was going to be a long night.