Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Escaflowne: Breach of Faith ❯ Chapter 6

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Vision of Escaflowne: Breach of Faith
Part 6
By: Amataru Arcus
Romance/Angst
Warnings: I do not own Escaflowne or the characters. I just use them in the way I want. If you don't like the way I use 'em, tell me. I'll take it into thought. I cannot spell. You have been warned.
Author Note: To those who still have faith in me: I am still writing!! Don't worry!! It's just after the drop/add period of classes and the teachers are starting to load us down with assignments. I have been writing this on my spare time don't fret!! I never start a story and not finish it. I hate doing that, especially when people are actually reading my work. Thank you all so very much! Read, Reply, Respond, and Enjoy!! Tiz you guys I am doing this for ^_^
_____________________________

Hitomi finally awoke in the hospital's resting area room a few hours after she had passed out in Allen's arms. She sat up with much regret as her head screamed in pain. Resting her self back down she placed her hand to her forehead and tried to figure out where she was. It was an off white room with beds lined up against a long wall and she had been in the middle. The room wasn't that full, only three other people where with her. One of them spoke, "You're finally awake, Ma' Lady."
Hitomi recognized the cool fluid voice instantly as Allen's. She turned her head to see him laying in a bed next to her with bandages on his ankles and around his chest. "Allen, what happened?!" Hitomi shot up at a 90 degree angle and instantly regretted it.
"You where a bit heavier then I thought you where," he laughed lightly at his sarcasm. "I'm fine, really. I just sprained my ankles and back a little. I'll return to my feet in a week."
"A week?" Hitomi started to feel terrible. It wasn't his job to save her, it was- "Where's Van? Is he okay?!"
"He's perfectly fine, Hitomi! He was sitting by your side the whole time. He had to step out for a few minutes to do some political thing or another. Don't worry about him, he knows how to take care of himself. He'll be back soon," Allen closed his eyes and rested his head back on his hands.
"How long was I out?" No answer, "Allen?" The only response she received from him was a quiet snore. "Well honestly… If you wanted to sleep you could have told me…" She folded her arms across her chest and looked up at the dirty ceiling. She started feeling like she was falling down again and she tried to shut out the images that started creeping back into her mind: The castle top growing thinner and Van growing further from her reach. All the while Jennifer held onto him smiling wickedly down at her with those red gleaming eyes. Even then she couldn't shut out the images of terror from building up in her lurching stomach. The air cutting around her accented the image already burnt into her mind and she didn't need to see what has happening. She knew… She was going to meet her maker. With no one around her and a stone ground below pulling her like a magnet, she knew she was going to die. Hope flew away from her like the wind unable to keep her up. But someone had saved her, someone she never guessed would. She had envisioned Van with his wings and arms rapped tightly around her. As she opened her eyes the image of an angel shattered into a white knight. For the first time in thirteen years she had feared loosing her life. With the glimmer of hope that she could be with Van, the last thing she wanted to do was die. Tears of joy and sorrow for lost time spilled out from her eyes as she realized again how much Van meant to her.
Tears started to creep back into her eyes just as an old nurse came hobbling into the room.
___________________________________

Van stepped into the familiar room with his hands a crossed his chest, wanting to go back to Hitomi's side so when she awakens she'll see his face. The four men already in the room stood up from their seats at the table as Van walked into the door. Van drew nearer and they all looked at each other nervously. One man stepped forward unsure and nervous of how to say what they found.
"King Van… This morning while the gardener's went out to work… they discovered…" the nearest to him nudged him to continue on.
"Jennifer?" Van said simply, almost spitting her name to the ground.
The other's where shocked, "Why, yes your highness… She-well-she was lying on the ground by the East Wing…"
"She was a traitor. Where is she?" Van replied quickly.
"Traitor?" the others whispered amongst themselves as the man continued on, more uncertain then before. "Well, your highness, she's dead… We took her to the hospital to see what they could do to revive her… but… what do you mean traitor?"
"Revive her?!" Van narrowed his eyes furious at them for being so foolish.
"Well, sir, we thought you might… not want her dead… with the wedding and all…"
"There isn't going to be a wedding."
"Well, sir… that's what we wanted to tell you… But… how did you know?"
Van looked away, "She had me under a spell…"
"King Van-? Why?" they all where in as much shock as Van was when he found out and they stood hands on table leaning closer to hear Van.
"I don't know… She captured Lady Hitomi last night and tried to kill her… I forced her off of me to save Hitomi… Luckily Allen Schezar had been out walking that night…" he clenched his fists tightly and his knuckles cracked.
"Is she alright?"
"Lady Hitomi is fine. She's at the hospital recovering. As is Allen Schezar." Van looked back at them with his eye brows furrowed. "Please send messengers to tell all of my guests the news."
"You mean… everything?"
"Yes… People need to know the truth. Is that everything you needed to tell me?"
"Who should tell King Edwin of his sister's death?"
"I will," Van stood straight.
"That is all we wanted to know Your Highness," they bowed together and Van nodded his head as he briskly walked out of the room, shutting the large doors behind him. "Hitomi…" he ran down the stairs and out the door to the hospital.
Outside waiting for him was his coachman and carriage. As Van climbed into the cab of the vehicle it started rolling down the rocky road towards the village. As he passed through his castle gates villagers cheerfully waved at him and he returned the gesture. His land was so much smaller and desolate then what it was before his father died. This land was never suppose to be his. Folken was trained since he turned one to be a great ruler, while Van was able to do what he wanted to do. Van had been jealous of Folken, for their father spent more time with him, teaching him how to fight, hunt, debate, trade, and rule. Though he knew how much pressure was laid upon Folken's shoulder, Van had always wanted his father's adoration. Van wondered if Folken too, was envious. Van could go where he wanted, do what he wanted, and learn what he wanted. He also seemed to be the favorite of their mother. Only when Folken disappeared from Fanelia did Van realize how much he didn't want to rule. His teacher crammed him with history, science, math, and politics constantly to 'make up for lost time'. He never got to run in the fields again, play with his friends in the streets like a normal boy, or even get to be with Merle. Van half wanted to be slain instead of that dragon during the ritual. He didn't want to run away like his brother had done but he didn't want to rule Fanelia either. Inside he regretted Hitomi warning him during the fight, that way he would have escaped his destiny. If it weren't for the safety of Hitomi, the stranger that treated him like a normal human being instead of a god or demon, he would have let the dragon kill him. Things have changed. Van no longer dislikes his destiny or wishes for another one. He accepts it, though he might not like it on some days, like today for instance. He just wanted to sit by Hitomi's side and hold onto her hand and look at her serene face. The face he had not seen for a long time.
It was this face that was missing from the hospital bed as Van entered. He took a few steps closer to where Hitomi was about an hour ago, but the bed was definitely empty. Frightened and enraged he turned to the still sleeping Allen and shook him violently, "Where's Hitomi?!"
Allen awoke slowly and looked up at Van who had rage in his eyes, "What-?"
"Where is Hitomi?!" he let one arm fly from Allen's shoulder to point to Hitomi's former bed.
"I don't know," he shook his head.
"The only reason I let you stay in this room is so you could keep a close eye on her!! How could you just sleep?!" Van gripped at Allen's collar and leaned forward just inches from his face. "She could have died! And you sleep?! What kind of knight are you-?"
"Van!" Allen shot right back. "Get a hold of your self!!" he pushed Van's hand aside and leaned forward himself. "Don't take your frustrations out on me! I know you're the king, but you have no right to insult me! The least you can do is thank me!"
Van was going to say more but he stopped himself, a look of vengeance still on his face.
"Van, I'm a light sleeper. If Hitomi was captured again I would have heard it and woken up. She could have went for a walk or went to go do her business. Calm down and think for a second. Who would most likely know where she is?"
Van stood up straight as he started to calm down. "I'll go ask the nurse."
"Now you're using your head…" Allen pointed his finger towards the sky and Van shot him a look as he ran out of the room.
Stopping the first person he saw in the hall he pulled her aside. "Where is the girl that was laying in that bed in there?"
"King Van…?!" she started to bow but Van held her up.
"Where is she?"
"I-I don't know your highness… But Melody might, she's the head nurse. Down that hall and to your left is where she'll be-" and Van rushed down the hall. Before he got to the door the old nurse left the room. "Wait!" Van called after and the nurse turned and squinted then widened her eyes as Van came closer.
"King Van-"
"Where is that young lady who was in the resting room?"
"Ugh-She was discharged, sir."
"By who's orders?!"
"Well, your majesty, I had been told that once she awoke and was fine she could go. There really wasn't anything wrong with her. She didn't need to be here in the first place-"
"Where did she go?"
"To the castle, just like the paper had said. I can get it if you want-"
"No need, I know what it says. I wrote it… I just thought I would escorting her my self to the castle. How did she get there?"
"Well-like the letter said, I rung a royal carriage and sent her off. I just did what the paper said to do King Van-"
"That's alright. When did she leave?"
"Just a few minutes ago," she started to fiddle with her hands nervously.
"Thank you…" he nodded his head then turned back around and went down the hall to get back to the castle as soon as he could.
____________________________

"I can't believe I had to walk through the castle in my night clothes…" Hitomi complained as she started to take off her dirty white satin night gown. "Aaah! And there was a hole in the back!!" Hitomi inspected the hole and tried to figure out where it would have been located. "Ugh… can anything else go wrong today-"
Hitomi's door flung open and Van emerged from behind it panting. "Hitomi there-" he froze. There in front of him Hitomi was uncovered from the waist up. The only thing she had on was her white underwear and was holding her white night gown in her hands. Van's heart raced as he looked at her. He had never dared to dream this much. And yet he knew his dreams wouldn't have done her justice. She had been fairer then even a goddess. Seeing Hitomi in her innocence made him even more closer to her then before if that where possible. He wasn't embarrassed at all, he was in awe.
At least until Hitomi started blushing, "Van! Shouldn't you knock first?" she scolded silently and spun around. How could she be mad at a guy who was looking at her with more passion in his eyes then she had ever seen before. A passion she had longed for every night. She couldn't help look over her shoulder at him. His face more of a shameful red now then passionate pink.
"I-I'm sorry…" he too turned around to walk out the door.
"Y-You don't have to leave Van," Hitomi barely recognized the voice coming from her mouth.
"O-okay…" he shut the door and faced it as Hitomi got dressed in silence. He imagined her slid her thin legs through her skirt as he heard her button it up. He imagined her lace up her tunic as he heard the silk string be pulled tightly across her chest. He then heard her slip some shoes onto her small feet as she combed her middle length hair. He had so desperately wanted to turn around to see her one more time, but Hitomi hadn't told him it was okay yet. So he stood there, shifting his weight from one foot to the other, then back again, while he fiddled with the pendant Hitomi had given him to remember her by.
"You can turn around now, Van…" Hitomi tried to find her voice.
"Okay…" he did so slowly. When he looked at her again, he saw her in a new light. She was no longer the girl he met thirteen years ago. She was now a full gown woman. A beautiful full grown woman. Van looked on her again speechless.
Hitomi laughed, "Van, you look like a child in a candy store."
"Hitomi… I…" he couldn't find the right words to say. He knew what he wanted to say, he just couldn't figure out a way to say them. He didn't want to sound like a fool, he had to be romantic… He thought about Allen and what he would do.
Hitomi watched as his look changed into a saddened frown. "Van? What's wrong?" She walked over to him and looked up into his brown eyes.
"I was just trying to figure out what Allen would say during a moment like this… Hitomi… I'm not Allen… I can't compete with him… I-I never know what or how to say things… I end up not saying things so I don't sound like a fool… I don't… I don't want to regret anymore, Hitomi,"
"Van I know your not Allen, and I don't want you to be," she smiled up at him reassuringly. "You don't need to say anything."
"I do… I need to make sure that you… understand how I feel about you…" Van's heart started pounding faster as he searched harder for the right words to say.
"Van, you don't need to tell me anything-" Van slid his finger down Hitomi's check and to her mouth to silence her.
"Shh," tears formed in his eyes as he looked into hers. He knew exactly what to say now. How could he not know, he had the answer right there with him the whole time. Taking her head into his cuffed hands he said the only thing he needed to say. "I love you Hitomi."
Hitomi broke down in tears as she heard him say this. She had longed to hear those words from him. She cried and laughed all at once. Van confused as to what to do, wrapped her into his strong arms and held her to his chest as she continued crying. Tears now flowed from his eyes as he rested his chin on the top of her head.
"Van…" she pulled away to look up into his eyes again. "I love you too. I have since the day I met you… I don't ever what to lose you again. I don't ever want to be away from you again!" tears now streaming down her face as mixed emotions surged through her mind.
"I don't want to be away from you either Hitomi… Never again… Hitomi…" he looked deep into her quaking green eyes as she looked into his. They drew nearer like a magnet, nothing could keep them from each other. It was destiny. They knew it. Van bent over slightly to reach Hitomi as she raised up on her toes. Inches from each other's face they tilted their heads to the side. Closer and closer they drew-
"VAAN-SAMA!!!" Merle came barging into Hitomi's room trying to catch her breath not noticing what she interrupted. "Some one has broke into the castle!!"
"What?!" reluctantly pulling away from Hitomi Van turned to Merle.
"The guards… they… they've tried… to-to stop him! But… he… he's a-a-a-a-a-a-
"Spit it out Merle what's wrong?"
"He's got wings Van-sama!! He's killing everyone! Asking for you! Van-sama… when they went to get you in your room… and you weren't there… I knew you'd be here… Van-sama!! There all dead…! Van-sama!" she ran up to Van and held him tightly. "I was afraid he would get to you… before I could…"
"Who is 'he', Merle, do you know?" he petted her head trying to calm her down.
"N-no…" she started to hyperventilate and Van looked over to Hitomi who had a deep look of concern.
"Merle, take Hitomi to the secret room. Stay there till I come back-"
"No Van!" both said together.
"I want to be with you-"
"No Hitomi! I don't want you to get hurt. Both of you. If I lost either one of you…" he shock the idea from his head. "Go. Hurry."
Merle nodded and started to drag Hitomi out into the hall.
"Van…"
"I'll be fine Hitomi-"
"No you will not!!" a deep rasping voice said out side of the door.
______________________________________

TBC

Ama- ain't I evil ^_^