Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Mend my Heart ❯ To light the beacon? ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chaosdreamer - Thank you sooo much for the review. I thoroughly enjoy your work and it was nice to see that mine's enjoyed too. ^_^ I'm also happy to hear this isn't a re-hash of someone else's story and I hope to keep it fresh and enjoyable! Thanks again! :D

Now, on with the chap!!!

--------------------------------

By the time he finished his lunch, Ran learned a lot about Ken Hidaka. It was amazing what just a few articles could contain. First off, the boy was in fact two years younger than himself, just like Aya. But it surprised him to discover the background of such a popular athlete. Ken Hidaka was an orphan. Practically from day one, he had no one. No one to care for him or hold him or watch out for him. No one.

That in itself wasn't shocking, but perhaps is was Ran's and Aya's current situation that made this fact stand out in his mind. The boy, Ken, despite the lack of solid upbringing managed to grasp life with both hands and reach for the stars. Ran wondered if he could have done the same. But not only did Ken have the disadvantage of being alone, when he did live in a foster home he faced another setback. There had been a couple of mentions about some minor abuse but Ken would only reply that it was in the past and he had put it all behind him.

Apparently, Ken loved soccer - a lot. It was his refuge and he enjoyed the teamwork that most sports required. In one article Ken said that a team is just like an extended family. You don't always get along and you have to take the good times with the bad, but the joy of success is best shared with the ones who helped you achieve it.

Many people commented about his cheery disposition and the smile that could always be found on his face. At one point Ran wondered what that smile looked like. He hadn't printed out any pictures so he couldn't imagine how the brunette looked awake and smiling. Ken had a giving heart, that was obvious. He helped a number of charities and even volunteered at one of those `Keep kids safe after school' kind of places teaching the kids how to play soccer. He was quite inspiring.

The last aspect of Ken's life that really left him wondering is the mention of a fellow teammate, Kase Kouichiro. Kase seemed to permeate Ken's life since the first day they met. Ken had been fostered and they met when they went to school. Since then they were constant companions. They shared everything, did everything, planned everything together. They both dreamed of going pro as they both loved soccer. Various quotes from either of the pair often boasted the others qualities and talents. One would say that they were inseparable.

So where is he? The redhead questioned as he stood in the doorway to Ken's room again. Outside the clouds had blocked out the sun casting a dismal shadow on the occupants. Since he became aware of the youth's presence that night he had unconsciously made a point to look in on the athlete. Thus far he had not seen anyone in that room. At first he thought that Kase must have been involved with the accident as well. But after reading through the articles he knew that to be false.

In the stories following the incident, Kase had withdrawn from the shared spotlight and faded into the background. In an article from the day before on a Soccer Website, it had even went as far as to say that Kase was influential regarding the new goalie Tachikawa. The accident was only two months ago, was it possible to move past the loss of a close friend so quickly? He just didn't understand why Kase was not by Ken's side.

Sighing, he shook his head and turned toward his imouto's room. He only managed to get two steps when he heard a noise from the room behind him. Immediately, he spun around and hurried inside. Moments later he was by Ken's side, looking down on the pinched features. The brunette was trapped in the nightmare again and Ran hoped that this time he would be able to wake from it.

The boy's breathing became erratic, soft moans escaped tight lips and he struggled vainly. Agonizingly slow, the nightmare progressed. Ran was vaguely aware of the nurse that had hurried in when she noticed the change in the soccer player's stats. Long minutes passed when Ken let out a choked cry then fell back silent once more. The pair waited a little longer before breaking the trance they were in. "Why didn't he wake? What's keeping him asleep?"

"I don't know," the nurse confessed. She began checking over the monitors and jotting things down on a chart. "He's closer to the surface but he just hasn't breached it yet. Maybe he's just waiting for the right encouragement." Finishing up her observations, she glanced over at the redhead and added, "You've been hovering by this room recently, are you a fan or something?"

Ran blinked forcing him to stop staring at that beautiful face. Confused by that thought for a moment, he shook his head to force his mind to understand her words. "No, I'm not really a sports fan."

Regarding him thoughtfully she asked, "If I may be so bold, this isn't your sister's room, so why are you here?" The young woman was not the same nurse that first night Ken had had his nightmare so she didn't know Ran was there too. As one of the daytime attendants, she was much more used to seeing Ran cloistered in his sister's room. To find him out was surprising in the least but to find him in another patient's room was beyond belief.

For a moment, Ran pondered. To be honest he wasn't exactly sure what had drawn him here. Yes, he heard a sound and maybe curiosity was a major factor but that was only part of it. Why was he here now? He responded with the logical answer, "He had a nightmare the other night. I was walking out when it happened. The other nurses weren't around at the time so I came instead."

"Got you curious then, huh?" She smirked knowingly. Ran merely shrugged. Replacing the chart she was about to return to her duties when she stopped.

"Nurse Kiki?" He hoped he remembered her name correctly. When she didn't correct him he went on, "May I ask you a few questions before you go?"

"Of course."

"How long ago was Hidaka-san admitted to this wing?"

"About six weeks ago."

"Have you ever seen anyone visit him?"

She thought about it for a moment and then frowned. "Now that you mention it, no I haven't. Why do you ask?"

"I was just wondering why none of his fiends or fans were not around, that's all." He tried his best to sound indifferent to the information while inside it had actually hurt him to know that no one cared for the boy.

Reticence followed while each one rummaged through their thoughts for something else to say. Kiki smiled softly yet Ran noticed the hint of sadness underlying it. "Maybe that's why he hasn't woken up yet." Confused, Ran cocked his head to the side as if to ask `How so?' Taking a step back toward the bed, she obliged his curiosity, "He's lost. I've been in this wing a long time, I've seen it all. But I can tell you one thing, only those with a strong will to live manage to find their way back out of the darkness without someone to guide them. If I recall correctly, I mentioned this to you once before when your sister was brought in."

Nodding, he did remember what she said. "In an ocean of night, one must light the beacon so that the lost soul may find its way home again." It was rather poetic which is why it stuck with him. There was a time long ago when Ran would sit up late and read poetry to his sister before bed. She constantly nagged him for it and secretly he enjoyed it as well.

Her smile broadened. "Without a voice to guide him, he's floundering just off shore. At this point it can go one of two ways. He'll find the will to keep struggling and surface on his own. Or he'll drift back into the night never to surface again." The corners of her mouth shifted into a frown. "I've seen it happen before." This time when she turned and left, Ran didn't stop her. His mind already a million miles away.

Was she asking him to help Hidaka in her own subtle way? But what right did he have to stay there? He didn't even really know the boy. Yes, he has information on the brunette but he doesn't actually know him. A friend or even a fan would better serve the soccer player than he would. Sighing, he turned and went back to his imouto. This time, when he left he didn't stop at Hidaka's room on the way out.

---------------------

So it seems, Ran has a decision to make. I'm sure you all know what he will decide but he does have to deal with one thing first. Nothing too horrible but an obstacle none-the-less. I hope you enjoyed this chap, next one will really pick up the pace though. Can't wait!! :D

 

So don't forget to review!! I like REVIEWS!! My Muse Loves REVIEWS!!!!!! Do you think this is an obvious enough hint? ;) I hope so, or else next time I'll just have to flat out beg. Lol. Thanks for reading!! :D

-Ari-kun :D