Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Mend my Heart ❯ Answers and Run ins ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I love jill-jill&hiei - Thank you very much!! ^_^ I'm glad you like. :D

Now on with the chap…..

----------------------

The next day Ran stayed away from Ken's room. He still had no idea what to do. The conversation with Nurse Kiki yesterday left him confused and unsure. He already had one person that needed him, should he ignore his family ties in favour of a stranger? Logically it seemed wrong, yet there was something whispering to him to reconsider his options.

At lunch he barely ate what he ordered. His mind was in such turmoil he just couldn't focus enough to do anything. Hours passed and finally he couldn't take it any more. Moving over to the door he slowly closed it giving his imouto and himself privacy. He returned to her side and carefully pulled one of her hands into his and up to his chest. "Aya, I don't know what to do," he began. "I've been here trying to bring you back to me and still you sleep. What can I do to bring you home? Are you even close or ready to wake up? Am I wasting my time? I don't mean to be asking all these questions at once but I can't help it. I feel so lost." The violet gaze disappeared under auburn lashes in a vain attempt to conceal the uncertainty within.

"I want to stay with you Aya but…." He swallowed hard. "There's that boy, he's…. They say he's close to waking up but he needs someone to guide him home. The nurse believes that I could do that for him. But I can't abandon you. What should I do?" Silence his only answer.

Somewhere deep within the whisperings of his heart, he could almost feel his sister's presence. He felt an understanding but not an answer. Opening his eyes once more, he stared at the peaceful face. A shaky hand stretched out and brushed away the chocolate bangs and for an instant his mind flashed an image of the soccer player across her face. So surprised by the moment, he took a sudden step backward. And then his thoughts began to comprehend. "I'll do whatever you want, you know I would, but are you sure this is it? I need to know that you are ok with this, show me, tell me, give me something so that I know that you will not be upset with me."

Standing there, Ran waited patiently for his imouto's blessing. And then he heard the sound of the door opening, it was slow and almost tentative but it startled him nonetheless. Quickly, his head snapped to see who had disturbed their privacy and to his amazement found no one. The door somehow creaked open on its own. Confusion swept over pale features and he turned back to the young girl. "Aya…?" And that's when he heard it.

"It's happening again, it seems worse this time." A nurse in the hall said urgently.

Not even realizing that he was moving, he flung open the door and looked at the two nurses. They glanced over at him puzzled but he ignored them when he heard that pained moan again. Automatically, his feet took him to that room and he was by the struggling brunette's side. The pained expression and the soundless cries set his pulse racing with worry. Tears broke free from tightly closed eyes. Immediately, he scooped up the boy's hand gentle comforts pouring out of him.

Painstakingly slow, the nightmare gradually passed and the soccer player fell back into a dreamless slumber. The nurses stood by awed. With the commotion over, the attendants went back to their duties leaving Ran alone with the patient. It would be another two hours before the redhead finally let go of the boy's hand. Clearing his throat, he said, "I have to go now, but I'll be back tomorrow." And with that he left for the night.

As he walked, he mentally called out to his sister, Alright imouto, I can take a hint. I understand, you'll be waiting and I'll always check in on you but, he needs me now. I'll bring him home safely then I'll be able to help you home. I promise.

***

"Ohayo, Hidaka-san." Ran felt awkward as he pulled a chair up next to the brunette's bed. He had been trying to figure out where to start, what to do exactly. Now that he was here, he wondered if he was making a mistake. Clearing his throat, he pushed back his insecurities. "You don't know me but my name is Ran Fujimiya and I am going to try and help you." He sat for a moment expecting something but not sure what. He realized he was probably waiting for a response or acknowledgement of some sort and sighed.

"I'm sorry, I don't actually know what I'm doing. But Nurse Kiki and my sister both seem to think that I'll be able to help you somehow." He sat for another few minutes quietly. His nervousness causing him to fiddle with the object in his lap. Glancing down, he stared at the book and smiled. "You know, my sister is a wonderful person, you remind me of her for some reason. When we were young she used to have trouble getting to sleep. I think because she was so full of life that she couldn't calm her mind down enough to drift off." His brow furrowed briefly as he thought of her abnormally still form just a few rooms down.

"Yes, you two are very alike. She's actually two rooms away from us right now, also in the endless slumber just like you." He cleared his throat again, self-consciousness kicking in once more. "Anyway, as I was saying, she used to have trouble getting to sleep, so I used to read to her every night. It became a ritual for us. I guess focusing on my voice and words allowed her to forget everything else and sleep. I know you're already asleep but I was hoping that maybe hearing my voice would give you something to focus on in order to wake up. I know it sounds strange but it was the only thing I could think of to do for you.

"In one of the articles I read, it mentioned that your friend Kase had read soccer columns and news to you when you had a concussion. And as much as I would like to do that for you, I don't know if that would be a wise idea since the season is over and the only news right now is probably something you don't want to hear, so I've chosen a different subject. I hope you don't mind." With that Ran leaned back and opened the book to the first page and began reading the first poem inside.

They passed the next two weeks as such, with Ran reading and Ken sleeping. Of course, the nightmares the athlete suffered still came, gaining in frequency and fervor, but Ran patiently did his best to help the boy through them. On a couple of nights while the redhead was home, the nurses had a rough time soothing the troubled soul. The staff definitely noticed a difference in the youth despite Ran's own frustrations. He expected the boy to have woken up by now but he seemed no closer to surfacing than when he first discovered Ken.

Oh yes, Ran was definitely getting more and more flustered over the whole situation. Things were not progressing as he hoped and he was starting to feel like this was a complete waste of time. Currently, he was standing by the window looking out at a world distorted by the tiny rivers on the glass. His thoughts rained down just like the cascading water outside.

During the course of his new vigil, Ran had managed to download past interviews and clips of soccer games off the internet. He instantly knew why people were drawn to him. The young man had a charismatic smile that was contagious. In so many of his post game interviews he was laughing and smiling, even on the rare instances they lost. There was always a sparkle in those captivating sea-washed eyes he found so alluring that he couldn't stop staring at them. After that first glimpse what seemed like ages ago, Ran already found himself addicted to them. And he would give anything to see those luminous gems reflecting the light again.

Wearily, he expelled a deep breath. For some reason, he felt exhausted. Perhaps it was the weather or his situation or a culmination of things. Glancing at his watch, he decided that he should grab a bite to eat. The lunch rush should have tapered off by now. He slowly moved back to the brunette's side and muttered, "I'll be back in a little while."

He walked down the hall not really paying attention to anything around him. When he got to the stairwell he paused and looked at the door for a moment. Then turning his head he looked at the elevators. He stood there blankly looking back and forth between the two. And for the first time since he started coming to the hospital he chose the 'lazier' method. A soft ding announced the arrival of the lift and he stepped inside, grateful that it was empty. Pressing the button for the main level, he leaned back against the wall and closed his eyes.

The foreign movement of the elevator descending made butterflies in his stomach. After it stopped, Ran took a minute to regain his equilibrium. The doors opened and he was about to step out when a figure pushed him back in. "Could you hold this for me please?" Bright blue eyes peeked over the flower arrangements he was struggling to hold. Not bothering to wait for an answer, he shoved one into Ran's unsuspecting arms. With a hand now free, the arrival selected a level and the doors promptly closed. "I hope you don't mind helping me. These things tend to get rather heavy after a while and this is my last delivery before lunch. You weren't in a rush were you? I'm sorry if you were, but I really needed the help." A bright smile lit up the young face.

Ran looked the kid over - and when we say kid, we mean kid - and couldn't imagine someone so small managing to carry anything at all. Resigned to his unofficial assistance, Ran remembered why he hated elevators. It meant he had to interact with other people. The boy took his silence for what it was, acquiescence. "It shouldn't take too long. All I have to do is drop these off at the nurses' station. Follow me," the kid said as soon as the doors opened again.

Following obediently, the redhead wondered what section of the hospital they were in at the moment. He heard the little blonde talk to the nurses at the desk. A moment later the flowers he was holding were taken from him and placed on the counter. "Thanks, I really appreciate you helping me." They were both heading back to the elevators now that their task was done. Alone again in the lift, they stood in silence for a moment when the younger boy's face suddenly beamed happily.

"Hey, are you going to lunch too? Cause if you are, I'd be happy to treat you as payment for helping me. I got a great tip earlier today and I would love some company too."

A little surprised by the offer, Ran shook his head. "No, that won't be necessary. I really didn't do anything."

"Of course you did. You helped me lug those arrangements up there. And I would feel a lot better if I could offer you something for putting you out." Ran was about to protest further but was denied. "You may as well accept. I'll have you know I'm as stubborn as a mule and I won't let you back out on me. The name's Omi."

The redhead blinked at the hand being thrust forward at him. He really didn't want to deal with anyone right now, but he could see the glint in the huge blue crystals that verified the boy's claim. Omi's bright and bubbly attitude struck something deep within him. If his sister were here, she would have met the boy's boisterous cheer grin for grin and immediately burst into conversation. But he wasn't like his sister. He kept more to himself.

But now there was an urge to be around someone who could talk up a storm and drown out the solitude he seemed to always be in nowadays. His time in the quiet rooms of both his imouto and Ken left him somewhat detached from the rest of the world. Perhaps spending time with another living being might be therapeutic considering his situation. Shaking his head slightly, he reached out to take the proffered hand. I wish Aya was here. His thoughts must have said something aloud because the next thing he heard was the youth again.

"Aya, huh?" The younger boy's head tilted to the side as he spoke as if contemplating something. "Well, pleased to meet you. I'll give you the choice, cafeteria food or brave the weather and go to a little restaurant down the block. What would you prefer?"

At first, Ran was going to correct the mistake, but the more he thought about it the more he decided against it. Since he was doing something that was more Aya-ish anyway, he may as well play the role. To a degree, after all he was still Ran deep down. Besides, what did it matter which name he used, he was probably never going to see the kid after this anyway, so let him believe what he wants. He answered blandly, "Cafeteria."

"Don't like the rain or don't want to leave?" Omi asked his new companion. When the redhead glared at him, he dropped the question. "Come on, I'm starving." They walked side by side to the hospital's meek eatery. Omi paid for the few items Ran picked out and they found a secluded table in the corner. As they sat, the blonde started up the conversation, "So are you here for yourself or someone else?"

Gauging his answer carefully, he said, "Someone else." He wasn't exactly sure who he was referring to but he had a slightly stronger urge to protect his sister's identity, especially since he's borrowing her name.

"Oh, I hope it's nothing too serious." When his newfound friend said nothing he frowned sensing the gravity of the situation. "Sorry. I often come to the hospital for deliveries. It's really sad to see so many people suffering needlessly. I wish I could help them all, but it's kinda hard, ya know?"

Ran nodded. He looked over at the youth, eyeing him warily. The kid seemed so light and carefree he wondered why the kid wasn't in school. Curiosity got the better of him and he was asking the question before he could stop himself. "So you are a delivery boy?"

Excited that the presumably silent young man chose to talk, Omi happily replied, "Yeah, I work at a little flower shop called Koneko no Sumu Ie. Ol' Momoe runs the shop mostly and I help her out whenever I can."

"Aren't you a little young?"

Omi blushed lightly. "I guess so, but it's all I have at the moment. And Momoe takes good care of me in return."

There was enigma here that intrigued the redhead. The boy referred to his guardian and boss by name but offered no other information. Once again, he found himself relinquishing to his curiosity. "Is she your grandmother?"

"Oh no. It's just I don't know who my parents are. Actually, I don't remember anything about my past, just that I was placed in her care."

Ran watched the blonde for a moment, who seemed to act as if the strange history he recounted was normal. Considering his own past, he wondered what he would have done had their roles been reversed. Ran knew he would want to find out, but the blonde seemed totally indifferent. "And you're ok with it?"

Omi Shrugged. "Not really, but like I said, there isn't much more I can do right now." There was something in his mannerisms that told Ran there was more to the story but wasn't about to pry any further. Everyone was entitled to their secrets. Changing topics again, Omi asked, "So this someone else, is it a relative or a friend or something?"

"Yes…..and no." He frowned at his own response. It's just how exactly does he explain to someone why he was there when he wasn't entirely certain of all of it.

Confused the younger boy wondered, "Well which is it, yes or no?"

Ran leaned back in his seat contemplating his answer. What exactly was Ken to him, Aya was obvious but the brunette wasn't. He was someone special. The corner of his mouth quirked up for a moment. "It's complicated," he finally spoke aloud.

"How can it be complicated? Did you have a fight or something and they were angry with you and then ended up here?" It was the only logical scenario Omi could come up with, even if it sounded cliché.

He shook his head once and picked up another bite of noodles. "No, nothing like that. It's just that, I know him, but he doesn't know me." God, he felt so foolish. His responses were cryptic, guarded and made little sense. Apparently, his young friend thought so too.

"You better elaborate because that makes no sense."

Sighing, Ran put the bite he was about to eat down and looked up at the crystal gaze. "He's in a coma. I stumbled upon him one day when I was leaving and have been visiting him ever since. They say he's close to waking up but I'm not sure any more." A hint of his earlier frustrations seeping into his voice.

"So you've never actually met before?" Ran shook his head. "Wow, that's kinda cool. So how much do you know about this guy?" Omi never expected this but it was definitely fascinating, he just had to learn more.

"A lot actually," the redhead admitted. "He was once a rising star in soccer."

Now Omi was extremely curious, "Really?? What's his name?"

"Hidaka Ken." Ran watched the other's reaction wondering if he would recognize the name. He wasn't disappointed. The boy's sapphire eye widened at the name and a smile broke out on his face.

"No way, he was awesome. I heard about some accident a few months ago, so he's comatose now? That's horrible." Omi rattled on drifting into a thoughtful silence. They sat for a few minutes eating and mulling over their thoughts. Ran wasn't sure why he was discussing Ken with this stranger, but it felt good to share the experience with someone else. And it seemed that this kid might have been a fan of Ken's. That was good too because he knew now that there were still people out there that cared for the brunette on some level.

Omi did recall the incident. He wasn't a diehard sports fan, but he did enjoy watching some games. It was late one night and he was doing some research for his other job when he stumbled upon the news. The whole situation had struck him odd but he had other things to worry about at the time and couldn't look into it further. But his previous suspicions began to surface and he wondered what the redhead was getting out of this. Glancing up at his companion curiously, he inquired, "Were you a fan?"

"No."

"Then why do you visit him?"

Ran sensed that the blonde was more than just curious about his purpose, so he decided that the truth might alleviate some of that cynicism. "A few weeks ago, he had a nightmare. The nurses think he might wake up soon. Normally, friends and family are around to encourage them, but he had no one. A nurse thought I might help, so I am."

For a moment, Omi considered the redhead thoughtfully. He decided that there was no lie in his words and Omi's smile returned. "That's really nice of you. Not many people would help out a stranger like that. I hope it works out. That way we can maybe find out the truth." He took another bite of his food.

But the comment gave Ran pause. He had some questions himself but the remark certainly sounded like there was more going on than he originally thought. "Truth? What do you mean?"

"Well, it was something I've been wanting to check into, just haven't had time. I've only been able to find a couple of articles that reference the accident but all of them have been rather vague, almost as if no one has the details. And what I don't understand is why he would be out by himself that night. There was a huge party since they made it into the playoffs and he would have been with his teammates. If nothing else Kase." The end of Omi's chopsticks tapped his chin. One could almost see the wheels turning in the kid's head. "You said no one was with him? That's really strange."

Ran was surprised. He hadn't expected the blonde to know so much about Ken. And the points he made piqued his curiosity further. He was about to ask Omi a few questions but was abruptly cut off. "Oi, I'm late!" The youth spotted a clock on the wall then glanced down at his watch to confirm the time. "Listen, I have to get going but I really appreciate you hanging out with me. Maybe we'll bump into each other again. Good luck, Aya. Thanks!" Quickly, the kid gathered his stuff and ran out of the café, waving bye behind him.

Stunned, the redhead could only sit there. He finished his meal in silence, lost in thought. Afterward, he went back up to Ken's room to continue his vigil.

------------------------

Alrighty folks, that's it for this exciting episode of MMH. ;) I really do hope you like it. And I would definitely like to thank my wonderful and beautiful beta Invisible Fan for all her help!! :D Thank You! Thank You! :D

If you have a moment, would you please review. I would greatly like to know how I'm doing. Thank YOU! :D