Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Destined ❯ life threads ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*disclaimer, I don't own ygo or its characters, however, Kristol, Samantha and Agwana are mine.*
 
Chapter 6
Life threads
 
The scream of a young child from the city drew the pharaoh's attention and he races to the spot. Two people lay dead on the ground, blood soaked the sand below his feet.
 
A hell cat dodged past Kristol and attempted to pierce Samantha with her double claws…Sam avoided the impact…
 
In horror, the pharaoh looked up to see a man with a raised sword hovering over a small girl… her arm bleeding profusely… the man struck down…
 
Agwana swung her deadly tail directly into Samantha's side… blood splashed the ground.
 
The pharaoh ran forward and kicked the man in the side to stop him from killing the girl, the deranged peasant almost lost his balance but regained it, turning to the pharaoh now… the pharaoh hesitated as the man turned the blade toward him, somehow pharaoh tripped the commoner. As the dagger hit the ground pharaoh dived for it not realizing that the man had another smaller dagger until he cut pharaohs hand…
 
Samantha fell to the ground
 
The pharaoh jumped back holding his injured hand as the man staggered toward the child again with the small weapon. The pharaoh took the discarded dagger and drove it though the mans back before the girl was touched. Walking up to the girl she looked surprised
“Pharaoh!” she panicked, the girl hadn't seen his face till now. “Th—thank yo- ah” she tried to bow but slipped on her badly injured arm. She whimpered; tears and blood covered the ground.
“Don't worry, you don't need to bow” he said lifting her chin softly to meet her eyes…
 
…Samantha?
 
The child looked into his eyes with fear…
Samantha looked up at him from the tree before falling from lack of blood…
`Pharaoh…'
 
Running to Sams side… a flash of black and red
Pain
“Yami!”
Darkness…
 
Yami woke with a start, finding him self on the couch inside of the game dens living room. He tried to remember what had happened after Sam fell to the asphalt…
 
`Sam…'
 
“Yami? Gezz it's a good thing you're awake. You've been out for like 3 hours.” Came the sound of Yugis voice from behind him. Yami twisted around to meet his smaller self, relief written on his face.
 
“Where's Sam?” Yami asked instantly. Yugi made a face and hesitated in his reply
 
“U-upstairs with Kristol… she's um…”
 
“Is she all right? She's alive isn't she?” Yami asked hastily, jumping off the couch.
 
“Just barely… she's lost a ton of blood but…” Yugi began
 
“Take her to a hospital then!” Yami cut in
 
“Kristol wouldn't allow it! Besides she said that lack of blood isn't what we should worry about…”
 
“What is?” Yami snapped
 
“I don't know all she said was that no human doctor would be able to help her…” Yugi explained. Yami growled irritably before he lunged up the stairs towards Yugis room where Sam was most likely being kept.
 
He came to the door and stopped, feeling that bursting through wasn't a smart or rational idea. As he walked through the doorway the sight was somewhat distressing to his eyes. Sam was on the bed with bloody ace bandages encompassing pretty much her entire torso, the color in her face... there was no color, and just as it had been when she made contact with the road, her breathing was hardly detectable. But what could be heard of each breath she took, was a raspy forced sound that was almost painful to the ear. The eeriest thing though was that Sam's blood had a sickening greenish tint to it...
 
Kristol lay next to the bed with her head next to Sams face. Yami noticed that she too was bleeding, one of her front paws was wrapped in another ace bandage but it seemed like a small injury that meant nothing to the fire cat. Taking her head away from its place on the bed, Kristol looked towards Yamis direction. Words escaped him… he had questions to ask her, but he also wanted nothing more then to have Sam sit up suddenly and say `fooled ya didn't I?' but that seemed unlikely. His biggest question didn't need to be spoken; Kristol knew what it was… it was obvious anyways.
 
“She is alive. But if she'll live through the night is impossible to say.” Kristol explained with a surprisingly level voice, but she could not hide the uncertainty in her eyes.
 
“Why?” Yami brought himself to ask. Kristol sighed.
 
“Do you remember the odd set of spines Agwana had on the top of her paws?”
 
“Yes?”
 
“They're poisonous to humans…” Kristol began to explain
 
“But she wasn't scratched… why…?” Yami asked, he thought that Sam had dodged those claws when they were outside.
 
“She was, but not tonight. Samantha was attacked some time ago, perhaps you remember?” Kristol asked looking into Yamis confused eyes
 
“Yeah… but that was like two months ago I don't see how it would matter now.” Yami explained, remembering that first day he met Sam and the injuries she had. Kristol had a sympathetic look on her face as if she was mocking him of being ignorant.
 
“That poison never left her veins… and Agwana has control over how long the poison lays dormant, how potent it is and how it affects the body even after the wound has been inflicted…Yami you seem to know what I'm talking about.” Kristol asked seeing the look on his face. Yami had remembered when Samantha was in the park that one day; her wounds which he had witnessed being healed himself had opened up again as if they were fresh.
 
“Yeah, I've seen it; Sam started bleeding again not long after you healed her that first time. She even said they weren't normal, I guess this is what she meant?”
 
“It is.” Kristol sighed again “my sister tried to kill her again at that point but luckily you and Yugi found her before she could succeed. I'm thankful for that.”
 
Yami nodded. His eyes trailed to Samantha again, a wired twinge welled up inside him as he looked at her unconscious form. Kristol must have picked up on this because she stood up and nudged his hand sympathetically.
 
“She has a better chance then you may think.” Kristol consoled lifting her bandaged paw. “My blood has certain healing properties. It should have deluded some of the poison in her body. It's just a matter if it was done in time or not.” Yami tried to soak in Kristols words but it wasn't working. Kristol sighed somberly and nudged the door open, leaving Yami alone.
 
Stepping towards Samantha all thought left him but that of whether she would live or not. When he reached the bed, Yami sat down next to her and stared into her pale face, moving a strand of golden hair out of her eyes… she was icy cold to the touch, but to Yami's relief she flinched slightly underneath his fingers. `She's alive…' raced through his mind. `If only she'd wake up…' he thought `please wake up…'
 
Hours went by as he stared at her, caressing her check, hoping beyond all hope that Samantha would at least move. His hopes continued to betray him as the night grew darker, somehow he thought this was his fault, he insisted that she stay with him. She wanted to leave as soon as she could to get away form her enemy, he wanted her to stay with him, and he had to admit it, for his own selfish reasons. And now Sam lay here, in front of him, the only sign of life were her small forced breaths… then
 
“Yami?” Sam whispered with difficulty, her voice was just as forced as her breathing.
 
“Sam! Are you ok?” Yami asked instantly. Sam didn't answer in an instant; it seemed hard for her to think
 
“I… it hurts… cold” she sounded like every word shot pain through her entire body.
 
“I'll go get Kristol” Yami said as he pulled a blanket over Sam, but she put a hand on Yamis arm as he turned to leave, stopping him.
 
“No…don't” she said shaking her head as best she could. He didn't understand why Sam didn't want him to get Kristol but Yami obeyed; as soon as he could, however, he was going to inform Kristol that Sam had woken up.
 
“ok.” He nodded. Sam took a deep breath, cringing as she did so, but she smiled her gratitude.
 
He watched her fall back to sleep. He was grateful that as she did, her breathing wasn't quite as harsh as it had been, and the fact that Sam woke up was a sure sign that she was going to be ok. Kristols little blood trick must have worked.
 
Sam was an enigma; that much was certain. She's and interesting artist, she ran around with a fiery cat, and apparently turns into animals… but she was also mysterious, unlike anyone he knows besides himself, maybe even more then himself. The feeling he got with her was alluring, strange, and elegant. He kissed her on the forehead before leaving her side. Sam smiled in her sleep.
 
Kristol was showing a trick with her fire to Yugi when Yami reached the bottom of the stairs. She was sitting on her hind legs with her paws in front of her; a ball of blue flames was floating between them.
 
“I can manipulate flames to do whatever I will it to do… oh Yami.” She said looking around at him as he entered the room. She put her paws down, and the ball of light vanished as she did so.
 
“It's about time” Yugi mumbled, getting up.
 
“Sam woke up…” Yami began quietly. Kristol made to get up. “No, Kristol… she just went back to sleep just now. But I thought you oughtta know.”
 
Kristol nodded and laid down, relaxed. But Yugi didn't, he eyed Yami suspiciously.
 
“You look very content.” He said arching a brow. Yami blinked, he had just kissed Sam and Yugi picked up on it.
 
“I just… this means she'll live… I'm just happy.” He lied
 
“Ok… sure” Yugi nodded buying his word.
 
“So what happened anyways?” Yami asked sitting down.
 
“Agwana came back for a second try at Sam, you got in the way. You were knocked out.” Kristol explained.
 
“So that's why my head hurts.” Yami laughed vaguely. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Samantha's art folder on the floor and picked it up. Keeping quite and letting Yugi and Kristol talk amongst them selves, he flipped through each work slowly, smiling.
 
*I think this chapter, particularly the end, is a bit cheesy, but this is one of those times that you have to get past it somehow to continue with the story… and I cant seem to make it any better. I hope you like it so far. Please review*