Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Wish Upon a Star ❯ Chaper 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

HEY! Long time no see! so how are things? My internet suddenly went down so that's the reason why I haven't updated lately oh and Christmas of course. Well, I hope this is worth the wait! R&R pwease! Love ya! BYE~BYE!!
 
Chapter 7
 
A shadowy figure stepped out of the limo and walked slowly toward Honda, “You idiot,” he whispered waving to the chauffeur calmly. The street lights made a shadow fall over the boy lying limp in the street.
 
The figure began to walk back to the long car, but stopped as quick light footsteps came hastily toward the fallen boy. “Honda,” a hoarse voice called over the sounds of the night, “Honda.” The boy did not stir; he lay there seeming almost lifeless.
 
“Kaiba,” the voice came again as a hand grabbed the man's sleeve tightly, “Kaiba you have to help him. You hit him!”
 
Kaiba looked down at the boy and scoffed, “Why should I help someone like him, Yugi? He's the one who ran into the street.” He pulled his arm away from Yugi and walked back to the open door, “It'd be wise to call an ambulance before your friend here does die.”
 
He stepped into the long, black car and closed the door sharply. The car sped out of site and Yugi stood jaw-dropped until his Yami placed a hand on his shoulder, “Don't worry, Kaiba won't get away with this.”
 
Yugi nodded and scurried toward Honda, “Do you think he'll be alright, Yami?” He asked; his voice trembling with fear.
 
Yami opened his mouth to answer, but sirens pierced the silence and he looked to the source. A light orange car sped down the street with lights steadily flashing above it. Yami chuckled and looked down at Yugi, “Kaiba may not appear to be as kind as he really is, Yugi.”
 
The ambulance stopped near the corner and three men dressed in yellow vests hustled out with a long stretcher; One knelt down by Honda and lifted his head slightly. “There's still some time left,” he called back to his companions.
 
They nodded and carried the stretcher to where the fallen boy lay on the gravel. Slipping the stretcher under him slowly they whispered to each other giving one another orders. “You need to take him back to the hospital,” one had said. Another said, “And you need to talk to and bystanders and see if they have anything to say.” The other was silent as he lifted the stretcher.
 
The men still on the ground stood as well and wheeled the stretcher to the ambulance.
 
Yugi stared astonished, Kaiba had done this, he was the one who hit Honda, but he was also the one who called the ambulance. He sighed, why was Kaiba so complicated. He looked over at his Yami; still the emotionless mask covered his face. “It feels like I don't understand anyone anymore,” Yugi thought solemnly, “Not Kaiba, not Bakura, not Malik, not Honda or Jonouchi, not even you, Yami.”
 
He squinted as the lights began to flash again; Yugi watched as a man raced from the ambulance as it drove away. The man stopped in front of them and looked them over like a man inspecting a watch-dog, “You wouldn't happen to know what happened would you?” He asked.
 
Yugi nodded, “He ran into the street; that's all that happened,” he said simply while looking at the man in front of him attentively.
 
The man nodded, “I could tell, but if that's all the information you have I guess I'll let you go now,” he began to walk away, but stopped when he realized that he had forgotten some key information. “Could you give me your phone number,” he asked turning quickly, “So we can call you when we find out more about his situation?”
 
Yugi looked back to Yami and asked, “Do you think we should?” quietly. He heard his Yami whisper, “I suppose,” as he backed away to sit on the railing of the garden behind them.
 
Nodding slowly Yugi took the pen and notebook the man offered him and wrote the numbers slowly one by one. “There you go,” he said trying to sound as polite as possible, but that was hard after all that had happened that night. He handed the notebook back to the man and nodded.
 
Smiling the man turned and walked away.
 
“What did I say?” Yugi asked without turning to face the man he spoke to, “Why did you speak to me that way; why did you back away from me?”
 
Yami looked at him and frowned, “Yugi,” he whispered without moving. He searched within himself for words to follow, but he could find none. He only stared at the back of the one he loved. “I-,” he started still searching for the words, “I can hear your thoughts, Yugi.”
 
Searching through his memory Yugi tried to remember anything he had thought or felt that might have made his love act this way. He looked over his shoulder and whispered, “What was it I thought, Yami?”
 
“Yugi,” he whispered closing his eyes, “How do you feel about, say, Seto Kaiba?” His eyes opened unconsciously as he lifted his head to see what he would answer.
 
The words surprised the teen; he turned back and looked at the street lights. It was getting late, but tonight there were no stars. “Ryou,” he thought silently, “You used to say if there were no stars horrible things would happen. I'm starting to believe you were right.” He closed his eyes, “Why would you ask that?” he asked still refusing to face Yami.
 
“So you don't understand me anymore,” Yami sighed and looked at the back of Yugi's head, “and I suppose that's why you feel like you do about Kaiba.”
 
Yugi shook his head, “Why I feel what way, Yami?” He asked finally spinning to face him.
 
Yami did not answer; he merely stood and walked away.
 
“Why?” Yugi whispered watching through teary eyes as his love walked away. “Why?”
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
 
“Bakura, why did you abuse him?” Malik asked for the third time. He had been asking Bakura the same question for almost an hour now, and every time Bakura gave him the same answer.
 
“It's my business and not yours,” Bakura replied again, “Why do you care anyway?” He looked up in the tree above him to make sure it was no trap.
 
Malik sighed, “It is my business, because he's my best friend, Bakura. If your best friend was being abused wouldn't you want to help him?” He asked waiting for Bakura to finish his inspection. “Bakura? What are you doing?”
 
He didn't look up from his position on the ground, “We have to be close,” He whispered reaching into the soil. He took out a rusted pocket knife and shoved it into his pocket, “Where else could it be, Malik?”
 
“So you are worried,” Malik started as he stepped toward him, “If only you really showed it.” He pulled a branch from the tree and pulled the leaves and twigs off it. Bakura heard him mumble something that sounded a lot like “I miss my rod.”
 
Bakura watched as Malik took the branch and waved it like a magic wand chanting words to himself like he had so many years ago. “I know what you mean,” Bakura thought touching his own chest. He still remembered the weight of the Ring; he could still feel it hanging there, and yet when he looked down to see it, it was no longer there.
 
“Do you really want to know why I did it?” Bakura asked as he moved his hand away; realizing that the Ring was gone now and forever.
 
Malik nodded and swung the branch at the tree one last time before sitting in front of Bakura, “Well, let's hear it.” He said laying the branch across his legs.
 
Bakura sighed, “The reason I abused him was, wait,” he stopped and closed his eyes. He could remember every time he had hurt his love, but truly he did not think he had a reason. “I didn't,” he whispered trying to admit it to Malik and to himself as well.
 
“Yes you do,” Malik started picking up the branch, “I had a reason that I treasured my rod and I have a reason to love Marik. So you have to have a reason as to why you did it.” He looked at Bakura inventively and nodded for him to continue.
 
“The ring,” he thought, “The ring.” He felt again the weight of the ring around his neck, “That's it; it was the ring. It connected us and when it was gone- we lost our connection.” he finished aloud.
 
“Lost your connection?”
 
A leaf fell from the tree and landed on Bakura's lap; he looked down on it. It was golden brown; the color of the ring. Maybe he just wanted the ring back just as Malik wanted his rod back. He looked at Malik and sighed, “No,” he thought to himself.
 
Malik looked down when Bakura stopped speaking and whispered, “The ring was your connection, right, and when you lost it you lost your connection. So you abused him to keep that connection.” He looked at him again and froze seeing Bakura's face.
 
Bakura breathed hard and nodded.
 
“Do you miss the ring?” Malik asked quietly, “As much as I miss my rod?” He looked up to see Bakura answer and moved his fingers along the stick imagining himself back so many years ago when the only thing that mattered this world was him and his rod.
 
Bakura took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “I miss the ring; mostly because it connected us,” he thought and looked at Malik as he touched the stick again, “but would I actually give anything to have it back like Malik probably would?”
 
“Bakura,” Malik hesitated to call his name; he knew Bakura was thinking deeply about it, but it was useless to let him think about this too much, “So?”
 
“I miss it, but I wouldn't give up anything to have it back,” he said and stood holding the tree for support, “What would you give to have it back, Malik?” he asked reaching back into his pocket, “Would you give anything?”
 
Malik nodded, “Almost,” he said and stood as well, “But what does it matter? My rod's gone forever; there's no way to get it back.”
 
“Maybe there is,” Bakura thought but decided not to repeat it to Malik, at least not until Ryou was safe. “Ryou,” he whispered finally remembering the real reason he was here and not at home.
 
Malik looked up at him and hastily stood up, he repeated the name Bakura had whispered and turned away from Bakura dropping the stick.
 
“Go ahead, Malik,” Bakura sighed setting his hand on the tree, “I want to check something here.”
 
Malik hesitated but did as Bakura said and made his way through the trees out of Bakura's sight.
 
Sighing, Bakura walked into the deeply wooded forest, “You'll be safe soon,” he said aloud pushing his way past branches and twigs determined this time to find what he was searching for.
 
 
__________________________________________________________
 
“Bakura,” Ryou whispered looking around the room; he could barely see the walls surrounding him. The darkness was consuming, he had felt darkness before, he knew what it was like to feel like death was on the doorstep; he knew.
 
“But when you're not with me,” he finished his thoughts aloud and searched the room for light, “It feels so much darker; it's not as easy to cope with it.” He found a small window in the wall and tried to crawl to it, but as he moved his legs he realized that they had been bound as well as his arms.
 
He sighed; there was no way to get out of this without a helping hand. He could hear footsteps slowly approaching the door; he gasped and pushed himself into the dark corner. He knew it was a futile attempt at helping himself, but it had to be done.
 
“Yes,” he heard a voice from the other side of the door, “Of course.” He closed his eyes silently and smiled to comfort himself, “I can feel it,” he whispered, “You really care about me.” He could feel his love's presence slowly enclosing around him. “So you really do love me,” he whispered closing his eyes, “You do love me.”