Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The Hidden Past, The Hopeful Future ❯ Last Step: Trying to be Nice...Failing ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


AnimeFox1940: Hi again!!! Ok, Once again, I want to say thanks for all the reviews! Oh, and also, just so people don't correct me, I'd like to point out some mistakes that I've sadly made. Like 1: while Yoko was talking, I accidently said 'her' instead of 'him'.
And another one, this is for all the math-whizzes. I said that Kena was born 1989, and that she's 15. Well, if we say it 2006 in the fic, then that wouldn't work and that'd make her 17...so she'd have to be born in 1991 to be 15!
lol. Anyways, you guys probably think I'm insane (If you didn't already, that is).I just did that so no one could correct me, (Hints, My Friends) They seem to find amusement in doing that.
But, moving on, sorry if this fic is going at a kinda slow pace...I mean, right now it's already chapter 11 and I'm barely getting Kena and 'Shuichi' to meet. lol. So, please, be patient with me, no matter how hard it may be!! Ok, once again, I DO NOT OWN Yu Yu Hakusho...*mutters to self* Stay strong, stay strong...
Please read and enjoy!!!
~~~~~~~


'I guess I'm eating outside today...' Kena thought as she walked though the many crowds of people in uniforms, and finally got to the outside world. She took in a long, deep breath of that late morning air and sighed it all back out, then she stretched as she looked at her surroundings. There was a concrete patio-ish thing with many picnic tables under a metal canopy. Then, once past all of that, there was nice green grass and an Maple tree farther out into the court-yard. Many students were spread out throughout this nice setting, most of which under the canopy, eating with their friends in their little picnic tables.



Kena looked around again. She had lost him. She had finally lost that Shuichi Minamino kid. Sure, she thought he was nice, but there was something about him that made her want to yell. Something familiar...she just wasn't exactly sure what. But she sure as hell did know that he had a fan club. And that's exactly how she had lost him.



Kena had been being a good girl, sticking by her tour-guide, trying not to cause trouble and also talking to him every now and then. They were walking out of...Advance Math she believed it was, when a random blob of red that reeked of cheap perfume and hair spray appeared out of no where, pushed Kena aside, and attacked Minamino. Kena didn't really know what to do, but she did have to admit, watching Minamino running for his life with killer fan-girls after him was a...new but very great sight.



Kena stiffed a laugh as she remembered high-pitched voices screaming out, 'We love you Shuichi!!!' and 'Will you go out with me Shuichi?! I Love you!!'. The sight was funny...but she did have to hold some sympathy for Minamino there. Poor him.


Kena then laughed out loud only for people to look back at her. She no longer cared. But she looked up when someone called her.



"Hey Kena-chan! Do you want to eat with us?" It was a boy. He was wearing a pink/purple uniform as all the boys of Meiou school wore, and he was waving his arms in the air. He was sitting with 2 girls and 4 boys. The boy in particular had dark grey hair and dark green eyes.



Kena paused and stared at him, then after a second slowly shook her head in his direction. Then she turned and started walking to her unknown destination. 'How do they even know me? He wasn't in any of my classes...was he?' She asked herself, her legs still moving her forward. She stopped completely when she heard a cat-call.



Kena's head quickly snapped back, a glare quickly forming on her face at her victim. 'Who the hell did that?' Kena thought after a second, looking closely at people, not seeing anyone sticking out in particular.



'Just...forget it. It's not like you can do anything. These schools are more strict. You can get into something really deep here, and you'll be found out. They can't just call your mom back and France and not know she isn't here in Japan. Also, if they find out you're living on your own, then they'll send you to another orphanage. And I don't think you want that.' The smart, think-things-though-before-you-do-something-totally-and-utterly-stupid part of her brain seemed as though it was back. Back and wasn't going to shut up.



But Kena agreed and forced herself to walk onward. She found her path leading to the Maple tree she had been staring at earlier. It's roots were sticking out from the earth, as though it had tried to get up and run away from this place. 'That's somehow a sign..isn't it?' Kena thought, then shrugged to herself, seating herself on one of the roots. The branches curtained the sun, leaving her in the cool shade.



She fiddled with her brown lunch bag before she pulled it open. 'My life's insane. I'm not even sure what's going on right now. What in the world have I gotten myself into? I'm in some country that I've never been in before, minus that I was born here, and I'm now going to a new school and I'm looking like an outcast. This school's way too perky. And not only that but I haven't heard from Koenma either. I need to find my team.' Kena nibbled on the edge of her sandwich.



'My new group. The Rekai Tantei...And that Minamino guy...he seems to have a good amount of Spirit Energy. Does he have something to do with my new group? And even if he does, then he probably doesn't know that I'm even aware of Spirit Energy..' Kena trailed off when she heard new footsteps on the grass, the small stomps vibrating and traveling to her own feet. She looked up on to find...



(A/N I'm sorry for putting an author's note here I think they get annoying, so I try not to add them But, I haven't seen this girl in the series. I've gotten a brief description, though! Thanks Zircrubyon! So...If this isn't how you saw her, then sorry I guess...)



A girl. She had dark brown hair that reached past her shoulders, and brown eyes. She was staring down at Kena, so Kena couldn't help but look up and stare back.



"Um...Good Morning..?" Kena started the sentence surely, then ended it in a question because she was getting pulled into her own thoughts. Her thoughts that said, 'Okay...who the hell is this? I know this girl...I've seen her somewhere before....Oh! Yes! Biology...that was it. She was there...So, what does she want with me? Wait...she was there when they announced that Shuichi was my partner...was she one of those girls that glared at me?' Kena thought she was wasting time, so she just bluntly stated, "Shuichi isn't here right now. You need to catch up to all his little fan girls if you want a piece of him before they rip him to shreds. This isn't kindergarten after all, so, they won't share." Kena then took another small nibble of her sandwich, not putting any real emotion into that last jumble of words. Her eye brow quirked when she sensed the power waving off of this girl.



'Is it just me or do A LOT of people around here have Spirit Energy? Could this girl be in my group?' Kena wandered. Then she silence her thoughts when she saw the girl's pale face brighten with a small blush, the pink stained her cheeks. 'I'm guessing I hit the target? Yep. The bull's eyes to be certain. She must like Shuichi.' Kena then thought, staring at the color on the girls cheeks.



The girl quickly cleared her throat. "Um, no. It's not that. It's just, You're new...and I wanted to say hi..." She stuck out her hand to Kena. Kena looked at it, then just went on eating lunch, acting as though the hand was never put out, ignoring it completely. The girl pulled her ignored hand back slowly, watching Kena carefully as though Kena was going to attack it or something. "Um..." She murmured again.




"That's not why you're here and I think you and I both know that." Kena interjected, not looking at the girl straight in the eye.



"Uh...What makes you think that?" The girl then asked faintly after a second. She was really starting to wonder about Kena.



Kena's eyes shot back up sharply. She wasn't mad or anything, she just wanted this girl to leave. "You're not exactly a decent liar. Not only that, but I have siblings. You get used to telling lies from truths after some time." Kena said truthfully, still nibbling. "Who are you anyway?" Kena then asked. She had been shooting comments at this girl for about 5 minutes now, and still she didn't know this girls name. It was kinda sad once you thought about it, because that's how most conversations were opened up in the first place, with a bright, "Hi my name is..."



"Oh. That's what I was just about to ask you...My name is Maya..." Kena choose to take the trail off as her own, and quickly talked again.



"What's your last name?" She quickly asked it. She wasn't used to just getting first names, because she sometimes called people she didn't like by their last name. And that's why she needed it from this girl.



"Maya. That's all you need to know." Maya said firmly. "But you're right...I came here to get things straight with you." Maya bounced a bit on the balls of her feet, then she stopped when Kena stared. Maya looked down to her feet as she continued. "So...I know there's something different about you. And you're hiding something from all of us." Maya then gushed out in a rush.



Kena let out a mock gasp. "Oh, Maya-chan, you have found me out! I'm really a hamster that was brought back from the dead, and now my fellow dead hamsters and I will take over the world!!" Kena said in a fake, over the top, dramatizing voice.



"Knock it off. I'm totally serious." Maya shot back quickly. Kena looked at her strangely. And mock gasped again.



"And you doubt my word?! Maya-chan! I am truly hurt and ashamed. I, of course, am serious as well!" Kena said quickly, defending herself. Then she flashed Maya a smile. "Maya-chan. You should go to the nurse...You're assuming things that obviously aren't true." Kena said.



Maya gave Kena a cold glare. "I came here to have a mature talk with you." She said, coldness lacing her voice.



Kena's eye brow quirked again, then she smiled. "Okay. Well, I'd rather not talk to you at all. So, may you please run off, Maya-chan?" Kena asked in a polite voice, giving Maya another smile as Maya stalked off, back to where she came from.



Kena watched her go. 'I'm really trying not to get into trouble...but that girl...she just...' Kena felt a chill run up her spine, then she got a bland look on her face. 'I don't like her. And I could tell, even before she started talking, that she didn't like me. I just hope we won't be totally neck at neck...' Kena thought finishing off her sandwich. She had only been in lunch for about 30 minutes now. 'Still 30 minutes to go...' Kena thought solemnly, looking at her watch. She sighed again.



She let herself lean more against the Maple tree now, and looked up, into the leaves, and squinted for a second as her eyes adjusted to the light that peeked though. She slowly took in a breath and closed her eyes. After a couple of minutes of complete silence, she could feel her own heart beating, and her soul seemed to pulsate with her heart, her aura wanting to brake free of that weak barrier she had put on it. She slowly opened her eyes again when she felt a presents coming.



'Who now? Is it that Maya girl again? She just left!' Kena thought, dragging her body up into a sitting position. She froze when she saw her next visitor.
(A/N: ...Should I stop there? Nah. I'll be nice. Especially since I haven't updated in quite a while...)



It was him.



He blinked at her with those emerald green eyes, then smiled gently when she smiled at him. "May I join you?" He asked after a second.



Kena purposely bounced her dark purple orbs over him, then looked back up into his eyes. "If none of your little fan girls followed, then sure. Why not?" She said, smiling again.



He slowly took a seat next to her. "About that..." He started, then trailed off as Kena waved her hands around.



"No..It's okay. I get it." Kena said, the corner of her lips curling upwards again. 'I noticed them glaring earlier after all...' Kena thought, looking back to her feet.



"Hm..." That was basically all Shuichi had left to say.



*Why did we come here anyway!? She's evil, remember?* Yoko said, glaring at Kena.



'No she isn't. So far, she seems nice.' Kurama calmly said back. Unlike Yoko, he for one gave her a chance.



*I did give her a chance! She just shot back at me with everything she had.* Yoko grumbled out. He was not happy with this. ANY of this.


'I really think you did something to get her mad first. Not only that...but you came up to her and all she saw was a demon. Maybe she felt threatened towards you...' Kurama added gently. He was actually defending her.



*I don't know why you are defending her. Like I said earlier, she's evil.*



'No she's not.'



*Yes she is.*



'No,'



*Yes,*



'No'


*Yes*



'No, She isn't, Yoko!' Kurama finally said firmly. Yoko finally got him to snap.



Yoko snickered in their mind as he receded back to his little corner. And Kurama mentally sighed in relief that he was leaving. *Oh, and by the way, yes she is. And she's been talking to you for some time now.*



"SHUICHI!" Kena yelled. First she had started off gently, then louder, and louder, and now she was yelling. 'Where did he go for a second there?! His eyes looked glazed over...and he was just...gone.' Kena thought. She was having second thoughts about this guy..


"Yes?" He asked after a second, snapping out of his thoughts. He started at the girl that was blinking and staring wearily at him.



"Um...may I ask you two questions...?" She asked slowly. She coaxed her head to the side as he nodded. "Uh..well, for one, what's our next class?" She asked. She had her schedule...it was just in her locker at the moment. And She and Shuichi were in all the same classes, except P.E.



"P.E." He answered without hesitation. "And what's your second question?" He asked curiously.



"Okay, and my second question is..." Kena gave him a pretty blunt look. "Are you mentally stable?"



*See. She is evil.* Yoko said, smiling happily to himself.



'No she isn't Yoko. She's just joking.' Kurama said, happy to prove Yoko wrong.



Kena was smiling at Kurama now with a teasing look in her eyes. "Sorry. I couldn't help myself. I get like that. So if I'm suddenly telling you something that you think could sound offending...then let me apologize in advance, because one of these days, I probably will drve you nuts. Or off of a cliff." Kena said, popping a strawberry in her mouth.



They talked about really nothing in particular for the rest of the lunch period as Yoko grumbled in Kurama's mind and got into arguments with Kurama, when Kena suddenly got up. Kurama blinked at her questionably.



"Oh, I just want to get out of here early, you know, so I can beat the crowd to my locker." Kena giggled a bit, which threw Yoko off guard. "You should do the same, or find a short cut to classes so your fans won't kill you." Kena said. But she stood there, even though her mind to her legs to move. "You seem like one of those people..." Kena trailed off a bit.



Kurama looked back up again at her. "What kind of person is that?" He asked, staring at her staring at him.



Kena bit her lip gently then smiled just a little bit, "A person who just barely gets away with their lives." She then murmured curtly and distantly. She was thinking about her own life, as a Spirit Detective at the time, but she had snapped herself out of her thoughts, knowing that Kurama was probably thinking that she was insane. "Oh, well, I better go now. See ya later, Shuichi!" Kena quickly told him as she started to walk off.



Kurama just stared where she had been standing, her words echoing in his head. 'Maybe she knows...' Kurama thought to himself, Yoko not listening.



*And she asked if you were mentally stable!*

~~~~~~~

AnimeFox1940: Okay, that's all! Gosh, that took a while...I wrote it kinda spaced up, a little at a time. ^-^ But, I did get my project finished! And also, I think I didn't fail!!

BlackCat116(My friend Emly): Please. You don't Fail. I'm not even sure if it's scientifically possible.

AnimeFox1940: *Jumps* GOD EMLY! YOU SCARED ME! DON'T EVER DO THAT AGAIN!

BlackCat116: Um...sorry? *Doesn't really care*

AnimeFox1940: *Glares* Where have you BEEN!? I'm already on the 11th chapter, and you're just BARELY here?!!?

BlackCat116: I've been here! I've just been really quiet...*looks around nervously*

AnimeFox1940: Lair. *Smiles happily* Ok! Well, Ja Ne!!! Oh, and PS! Sorry for my horrible rambling up there...heh.