.hack//SIGN Fan Fiction ❯ Under the Glass Moon ❯ Midnight Dreams ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: The first two italicized paragraphs are Subaru's dream.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Under the Glass Moon by Lonely Soul
Chapter 2: Midnight Dreams
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Subaru stood all alone surrounded by complete nothingness. Everything around her was a pure white, except herself. Deciding it was bestn ot to stay there in one spot, she started running. The only sounds that could be heard were her footsteops echoing throughout the empty space. After running continuously, her eye caught the sight of a figure that appeared out of nowhere watching her in the far distant. The person's face was clouded by shadows while the rest of their body was clearly visible. Instinct told her to stay away from that unknown stranger, but she was somehow drawn to them.

As she unwillingly neared the person, someone else she didn't notice before came up from behind her and covered her mouth with one hand, while their other hand held a sharp sword close to her throat. The white scenery shattered like glass and instead endless darkness surrounded nher. When she slightly gazed down , she could see her reflection below her on the black, mirror-like ground, but there was no reflection of the person holdingo onto her. Her eyes became wide in shock and fear, and she tried struggling against their grasp but it was to no avail. She glanced towards the direction of the stranger she was seeking previously for any help, but somehow they too had vanished without a trace and she was left to handle this person by herself. She was brought back from her thoughts when a small laugh came from the person detaining her. From the way they sounded, she knew the person had to be male. She felt his lips suddenly move closer to her ear as she heard him whisper, "Now you die."


Subaru awoke with a gasp, taking in deep breathes as she recalled the once weird dream to the now nightmare. Before she had known the outcome of that man's words, she had forced herself to wake up and was now staring at the wall across from her, thinking of the nightmare she just had. She could remember everything as if it actually happened to her for real. And somehow it did seem real; like somebody had been standing right over her beside, watching her, while she slept.

She slowy calmed down when she noticed Maha gazing up at her with his big red eyes and a wondering expression on his face. "It's all right, Maha. I just had a bad dream," she whispered, trying to keep a smile as she picked up her cat from the pillow he was laying on. Now thinking that she was alright, Maha immediately snuggled into Subaru's arms and fell back to sleep.

After picking up Maha, Subarun knew she wouldn't be able to sleep a wink for the rest of the night, so she got up and walked towards the kitchen. Her thoughts were a jumble as they jumped from one thing to another, but she finally remembered something she forgot to do.

"Ugh, I didn't make sure all the doors were locked." After saying that she quickly went around the house checking the locks on the front and back doors. Even though Kurim told her to do so, she knew her brother always did it himself before he left, so she wasn't all that worried.

As she turned the knob of the last door, she was taken by surprise when the knob turned all the way, making a clicking noise and the door slowly opened. "Wha..? Subaru thought outloud in surprise. Her eyes nervously glanced the house for any sign of breaking and entering but there wasn't anything. "What is going on here?"


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Subaru sat at her desk, gazing out the big window to her left with a spaced out expression on her face while she stared at the gloomy, gray sky. A small sigh escaped her lips. It was now 8:25 a.m. No mater how hard she tried, she wasn't able to get any sleep. The nightmare and then the door being unlocked was enough to keep her awake the rest of the night.

Her dazed was interruped when she heard someone speak to her. "Huh? Subaru, you look tired. Did you get any sleep?" A girl with brown hair asked the other girl sitting behind her whose attention was centered elsewhere.

Subaru turned to the sound of her friend's voice and answered, "I got some sleep, not much though."

"How come?" Mimiru questioned her friend. "Don't tell me that prep teacher of yours made you leave at a very late time again!"

Subaru kind of shook her head. "We were let out late, but that's not the reason why I'm tired right now.. I just had a weird dream is all."

"What kind of dream was it?"

"Oh, it's nothing really."

"Okay, if you say so, but you know you can always talk to me about anything, Subaru. I'll listen," Mimiru said with a wink.

Subaru sincerely smiled at her best friend since freshman year. "Thanks, that's nice to hear."

Mimiru grinned back and turned her seat and attention to the front of the class because their teacher had just walked in and was already complaining about the unnecessary chatter going on whenever she enters the classroom.
While the teacher was lecturing away, Subaru glanced out the window again with her chin resting in her hand. 'I should tell Mimiru about this morning, but I don't want her worrying. She's almost as overprotective as Kurim, and if she knew, she might follow me everywhere I go to make sure I was okay. Anyway, it could have been coincidence that the door was unlock and I had that unusual dream in the same night. But... I can't stop this feeling I have that someone was inside our house or that I'm being watched. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.' Subaru stopped, observing the rain pouring from the dreary sky. 'It's been raining all the time for the past couple of days. It makes the air seem more gloomy and bleak. I don't know why, but everything seems so strange today, like I'm in a dream right now or something. It's kinda hard to explain.'

What she was talking about not even she understood.

Her gazed wandered across the front gates of the school and that's when she noticed a figure walking pass the school. As if knowing she was staring after them, the person stopped suddenly and looked up towards the direction of the window she was seated beside. Their eyes met, and Subaru gasped and her heart started beating a little faster when she realized who the identity of person was. 'It's him! The guy I ran into from yesterday.'

"...baru. Subaru!"

Subaru jumped in her seat. "H-Huh?" She tore her view away from the window and found that the whole class was staring at her with confused expressions on their faces. Her teacher was just glaring at her, ready to start another lecture about students not paying attention in class when the teacher was talking. "So Miss Subaru, what outside has you more interested than listening to what I have to say?"

"Um nothing, Ms. Hamada," she replied quietly, completely embarrassed.

"Don't let it happen again," Ms. Hamada said sternly. "But, if this happens again, and this goes for everyone," she said pointing her finger at the class, "I will make you stand outside, rain or shine and you'll have to write me a ten page essay entitled 'Why I Should Obey My Teacher'. You got that?"

"Yes ma'am." the whole class answered with a few groans heard from most of students.

"Good. Now, let's get started with today's..."

Subaru sighed a sigh of relief. Ms. Hamada was known to overreact to every little thing, and she was amazed that that wasn't the case today. She knew her teacher let her off the hook this time, so she decided to pay attention in class. Of course, wanting to know if he was still there, she took a chance and glanced out the window once again. To her disappointment there was no one.



To be continued...