Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Unexpected Plans ❯ The Black Band Bandits ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter Five: The Black Band Bandits
 
Toph sauntered down into the main square of the village, approaching the statue of Avatar Kyoshi where a group of the assassins were waiting. She stopped a few paces away and searched for them, finding that they were still unaware of her arrival, and had their backs turned to her. A broad smile spread across her face and she chuckled quietly. Time to have some fun!
 
“Now what have we here, a party?” She said with a smirk, putting her hands on her hips, standing in a defiant manner. The four jumped at the sound of her voice, took a defensive pose, and turned to see who was there behind them.
 
Toph stood proudly in front of the group, her long hair whipping behind her like a banner. The moonlight hit her like a spotlight, making her long bare legs seem to glow as the pale brown tunic she wore fluttered around just past her hips in the light breeze. The assassins started chuckling and relaxed at the sight of what they thought was nothing more than a helpless girl. They began to approach her, casually pulling their weapons out from the inside of their tunics.
 
“What a pretty little pet we have here.” Said one of them as they moved closer. “Might have to keep this one alive for our enjoyment later on.”
 
“Don't bet on it asshole.” She spat, clenching her fists.
 
“She thinks she can hold her own against us.” Another of the assassins spoke, this one sounding female to Toph. “She's not even one of the Kyoshi Warriors. Doesn't even carry a weapon with her.”
 
Toph shifted her feet around to keep herself grounded to her element, waiting for them to get just a bit nearer. It would be easier to take them down that way, when they were closer together. They were almost to her now, and she could sense their vicious intent to spill her blood. They got some sick pleasure out of it she was sure. Then in an instant, the man who had spoken lashed out at her first, unable to hold off any longer. He lunged at her with a long crooked blade that she quickly deflected with a barrage of rocks she sent flying up from the earth as the others began their attack as well. They came after her with an array of weapons: swords, throwing knives, shurikens, and poisoned daggers.
 
She managed to defend herself well, pulling up an armor of dirt around herself to better deter their attacks. She reached deep down and pulled the earth up, sweeping it over top of two of them, trapping all but their heads in a heavy covering of dirt. The young woman who had also spoken back-flipped away a few paces then made a running jump towards her, but Toph was quicker and brought a pillar of rock up to nail the woman in the stomach, deflecting her backwards.
 
The female assassin hit the ground with a hard thump and was disoriented just long enough for Toph to encase her in the same way as her friends. That left the fourth and final assassin for her to dispose of. She sensed out for him, and listened intently for any noise that might give him away. She found him, scuffling in behind her, his crooked sword lashing out towards her. She whipped around and sent the rock covering her body to knock him over and encase him as well. He fell over like a log and she wandered over to him.
 
“Now what was that about me being a `pet,' eh?” Toph taunted, stepping on his chest and leaning down on her knee to further intimidate him. She laughed and wiped her cheek with the back of her hand, which only resulted in making her dirtier than she was before. “You all make very poor assassins. What a waste of my many talents.”
 
The man started chuckling, and it startled her. With what was little more than sheer dumb luck, she managed to back away quick enough to avoid getting the full brunt of the man bending the rock that encased him into sharp weapons that only managed to gash her left shoulder open instead of hitting other vital organs. She stumbled back, loosing her footing as the man released his fallen comrades, who didn't hesitate to grab her by either arm to restrain her.
 
“I think it's more that you are very poor at seeing what's going on around you.” He told her, strolling up to her and grabbing her face. He laughed and forced her to look at him, when he took in the paleness of her eyes and the way that she seemed to stare past him instead of at him. “Ha! No wonder. She's nothing but a blind earth bender!”
 
Toph scowled as a growl rose in her throat before bringing her feet up to kick him with both of them, using the two assassins who held her as leverage to knock him backwards. He stumbled and fell down, giving her time to use her strength to toss the woman holding her right arm into him while wrenching loose from the other one before the fourth assassin could grab a hold of her. She bounded a bit away to escape their reach as the man and woman struggled to get to their feet. One of the others blew a loud whistle and Toph could feel a large group of their ally's coming up the pathway from the beach.
 
“Looks like this will be even more fun than I thought.” She said with a smile, sending a rolling wave of earth towards the four in front of her before turning to face the approaching mob.
 
------­------------------------
 
Aang held a man tightly by the arms while Suki searched him for weapons before tying him up and herding him in with the other would-be assassins they'd managed to take down. Nearby, Ty Lee was immobilizing the other one, a woman, by blocking her chi to her limbs while two others tied her up as well. Aang sighed and wiped beads of sweat from his forehead as he turned to Suki. “Is this the last house?”
 
She quickly counted heads and nodded to him. It had gotten progressively easier to thwart the assassins as they managed to join up with each of the other Kyoshi Warriors. “Yes, this is everyone.”
 
“What about the other villagers?” Ty Lee asked, jogging up to them, while also keeping an eye out for any attacks.
 
“They should be fine.” He replied. “Toph said that they were only after the Kyoshi Warriors. We assumed they were those bandits from the mainland making good on their threat against you.”

“It definitely looks like them.” Ty Lee said with a quick nod. “We usually encounter them in larger numbers though, and sometimes they have earth benders with them.”
 
As she finished speaking, the ground shook violently and stirred the sleeping villagers, who rushed from their homes to see what the trouble was. Suki quickly jumped into action and urged them back into their homes where it was safe. Then she rushed back to Aang, who spoke. “Sounds like Toph could use some help.”
 
“We should hurry then and get there before any more of them show up.” Ty Lee told them, commanding one of the girls to guard the prisoners as they rushed off to the main square.
 
------­------------------------
 
Toph went flying backwards as a large boulder crashed into her chest. She hit the dirt and went rolling feet over head, coming to a stop when she hit some trees. She shoved the boulder off of her and inhaled deeply, recovering the breath that had gotten knocked out of her while trying to get back on her feet. She'd managed to unarm most of the non-benders that came after her with swords, bending their own weapons into restraints they couldn't be freed from. They were strewn about the path from the village to the beach, where the fight was slowly heading, which she didn't quite care for because that meant being near water. And she was certain she hated water even more than she hated flying.
 
Still, there were quite a few earthbenders left in their group, and she could see why the Kyoshi Warriors had such a hard time defeating them, even with as much skill as they possessed. The thought had even crossed her mind that she might not be able to take them on alone. One muscled earthbender leapt at her and she deftly rolled away, jumping back onto her feet and splitting the earth. He tripped as he was coming after her and she sent the earth flying up from under his feet, rocketing him skywards before he plummeted back down to the ground. His attempt to soften the blow didn't help much as he pulled the ground up to him, hitting it with a loud crack.
 
The earthbender screamed in pain as his arm and a few of his ribs broke on impact. From behind, two others were bending large slabs of rock out of the ground, trying to sandwich her in between them. She managed to drop flat on her stomach to avoid it, but was knocked over and rolling down the path as she stood back up. She dug her fists into the earth and tried to slow herself before she hit water. She stopped just short of the shore, and spat out the mouthful of sand she'd gotten. Digging her fists into more solid ground she made fists of rock that she sent flying at her opponents to clear a path back up to the village.
 
“Where the hell is Twinkletoes?” she growled to herself as she blocked an attack from behind. “It shouldn't be taking him this long to take out a few assassins.”
 
------­------------------------
 
Aang led the way with Suki and Ty Lee flanking him on either side. Following behind them was a ragtag band of Kyoshi Warriors. Most wore nothing more than thin night clothes or were almost bare in their under things, without their traditional armor or makeup, armed with only their fans as weapons. Still, they looked as tough as ever. As they made their way into the square they could see the damage wrought by Toph and those she was fighting against. The earth was torn up everywhere and fallen enemies lay bound by their own weapons all around them.
 
Racing down the path, Aang could see his friend dodging attacks by her pursuers while doing her best to send attacks back towards them. Beside him, Ty Lee barked orders to her comrades who rushed out to take on what remained of the assassins. Aang leapt in the air and whipped a ball of air at one who managed to snatch Toph by the leg and knock her down. He rushed over and pulled her to her feet. Looking her over she seemed no worse for wear, aside from a fresh, heavy layer of dirt on her skin and a shallow gash on one shoulder that had dripped blood down the length of her arm.
 
“About time you decided to show up!” She shouted, shrugging off any further help and she forcefully kicked her attacker in the face, breaking his nose. The man cried out in pain as she leapt at him, wrenching his arms back behind him and made him eat dirt.
 
“I'm sorry, I thought you wanted me to go and get help.” He said with a harrumph, deflecting a boulder that came flying out from his left before sending back a whip of fire to lick the woman's feet. She cried out in pain and fell to the ground. He ducked and rolled as she flung rocks in retaliation. Coming up behind her he blew her off of her feet with a burst of air and grabbed both of her wrists and bound them behind her back. One of the Kyoshi Warriors came up on them and bound her feet up, dragging her back to where they were gathering the fallout from the fight.
 
“I did want help, I just expected you to be quicker about it.” Toph replied with a teasing smirk, punching him in the shoulder as she came up for him. They ran down the path, taking out as many of the benders as they could, but it seemed that they had caught on that Aang was there. Toph ears perked up as she heard someone call out for a retreat of the few that were left standing.
 
“Seems like your little display has scared them off though.” She said as she came to a stop and fell back to help one of the warriors who hadn't been able to dodge fast enough and had broken her arm defending herself. Toph turned and called back to him as the warrior used her as a crutch. “I'm going to help them round these jerks up since I can't very well chase them once their airborne. You do what you got to do.”
 
Aang didn't hesitate as he whipped his glider open and took to the skies. He chased the airship some distance, till Kyoshi was barely a fleck on the ocean behind him, but they were able to get going too fast for him to catch them. For a brief moment he thought he saw a firebender at the helm, providing the heat that made the balloon fly. But before he could be sure they were out of sight.
 
“Shit.” Aang cursed, banking quickly and heading back towards the island to help clear up the leftover mess as best he could. Circling the square he could see the large group of the would-be assassins gathered up near the statue. Toph was carrying a person on each shoulder and plunking them down near the others, all the while refusing to let someone look at the gash in her arm. He came down on the path where the warriors were still collecting the bandits. He saw Suki struggling to lift a particularly burly man with a broken leg and rushed over to help her carry him. “I'm sorry, but the rest got away.”
 
“Aang.” Suki spoke in a gentle tone, turning her head towards him and looking over the mass of the man. “Thank you. If it wasn't for you, and Toph, I don't think we could have captured this many, if any of those bandits. We might not even be alive.”
 
“I'm just glad that they won't be plaguing villages anymore.” He told her, smiling softly as he dropped the man down next to the others. He looked over the group. The all wore typical Earth Kingdom clothing, but something was different than usual. He accounted it to his lack of sleep and turned back to Suki.
 
Suki sighed and looked at all of the people tied up around her. “That may be, for now, but the others still eluded us. Hopefully it will take them a while to build their group back up, and by then I know that Ty Lee and the others will have someone to help stop them.”
 
“I can't let this carry on any further. The piracy either.” He said, cracking his back and then rubbing the back of his neck. “It's stuff like this that could instigate another war, and the world hasn't recovered yet from the last one.”
 
Aang wandered over to a half destroyed fence and sat down, leaning against it. Suki came and sat down by him, placing a reassuring hand on his shoulder and offering a smile. “Don't let this overwhelm you. The world is still recovering, but I don't think there will be another war like that. Now that there is finally an Avatar again, they will look for a peaceful solution, not one that will make trouble.”

“I hope so.” He sighed, a large yawn betraying his attempt to not look tired enough to fall over.
 
“You should go get some rest. Ty Lee has people taking shifts to watch over our captives. We can decide what to do with them and the rest of this mess in the morning.” Suki offered, helping him to his feet.
 
“Okay.” He agreed, another yawn sneaking up on him. He looked around as things quieted back down. The injured from both sides were being dealt with and the other villagers had slowly gone back to sleep now that the ruckus had ended. However, he noticed one element was missing. “Where'd Toph disappear too?”
 
“I don't know.” Suki answered. “I'm sure she's here somewhere. It's an island after all so she can't get far. Besides, she'll turn up eventually.”
 
Aang simply nodded and walked Suki back to her family home, and smiled as her son rushed to greet her at the door. She waved back at him and disappeared into the now dark doorway. He turned and made his way back towards the dojo where a nice comfortable futon was waiting for him. He slipped inside quietly as a large lump on the floor caught his attention. Stepping out of the light, he saw that it was Toph curled up on her own futon. She lay facing the door clutching a pillow in her hands as her head rested on it. And she was still dirty from head to toe, but it seemed someone had managed to get her to hold still long enough to let them mend her wound. Her face was soft in the moonlight and her long hair fell over one shoulder to the floor. It too was covered in a fine layer of dirt and rock. You'd never think someone who looks so serene while asleep is as brash as she is when she's awake. He thought as he watched her a moment more as she sighed quietly and smiled in her sleep.
 
That made him smile as well, and he finally laid down on the other futon that was beside her, stretching out on his back with his hands across his stomach. He yawned again and his eyes fluttered closed. Aang then let sleep peacefully take him and he hoped that whatever was to happen in the days that followed would go much smoother than it had been going so far.
 
------­------------------------
 
“Thank you Avatar Aang for everything you've done for our village.” Oyaji, the chief of the village said, proudly bowing to the much younger man before him. Aang bowed back to him and smiled as he turned to Toph, who stood beside him waiting to leave. “And thank you too Miss Bei Fong. We are grateful to you both.”
 
It was mid-afternoon and for most of that day, he and Toph had restored the torn up ground back to normal while the rest of the village began rebuilding some of the damaged buildings. Now they were getting ready to leave for the mainland, where Aang decided that a visit to the delegate for the region was needed to ensure that nothing like this happened again. The villagers had halted their repairs in order to see them off, and now were gathered where Appa was waiting for them.
 
“What will you do with the bandits?” Aang questioned the chief as a group of the prisoners were being led down to the beach by Ty Lee and Suki and followed by an entourage of Kyoshi Warriors. Toph wandered over to say goodbye to them.
 
“The warriors are going to take them to Omashu for judgment.” Oyaji answered. “But I'm sure the benders will be sent to prisons out on the ocean while the rest will serve their sentence within the prisons of Omashu. I doubt they'll see freedom for a long time.”
 
“I'm sure they'll get a fitting punishment, but we should be going if we want to arrive before dark. Take care.” Aang said, bowing to the chief and turning away to finish loading the pile of supplies onto Appa's saddle. Toph had made her way back over, with Suki in tow, who made sure to give them both big hugs goodbye.
 
“I wish you both the best of luck. Be safe.” Suki said, hugging them both again.
 
“Don't worry. Twinkletoes has me to keep him out of trouble.” Toph joked, giving Aang a punch in the shoulder. He just sighed and rubbed it as he went back to stowing away their things. His traveling companion was a little more helpful today and grabbed a few things before hopping into Appa's saddle herself and sprawling out.
 
“The delegate lives in the city of Qian, somewhere between Chin Village and Omashu. It's one of the few places on the coast that wasn't targeted by the bandits.” Suki reminded him as he got up around Appa's neck. “Just follow the road north from Chin and then bear east at a fork in the road. You can't miss it. Follow that road for at least a couple hours. The city is nestled in a deep valley, that's how it got its name.”
 
“Thanks Suki. You be careful transporting those bandits.” He told her. Momo came flying down from somewhere and landed on his shoulder, chittering away at him before jumping over to play with Toph's hair, which had done up in a long braid that trailed down her back like a rope.

“About time you came out of hiding fluff ball.” She said with a laugh, scratching behind his ears as he murmured contentedly.
 
“Appa, Yip yip.” Aang told his friend, and gripped the reins in his hands. Appa groaned and jumped up to take flight. Suki waved and he waved back as they flew away.
 
------­------------------------
 
Aang had followed the instructions that Suki had given him, heading north from Chin Village. From what he saw from the sky, the village was deserted, as were several others that they passed. No doubt the work of those damned bandits. Toph had set herself up in her usual spot, against the saddle just behind him. He occasionally glanced back at her, mostly to make sure she wasn't going to be sick. It seemed that she was readjusting to flying though and no longer turned that awful shade of green.
 
“How much longer until we reach the city?” Toph asked, for the fifth time since they had left the island. Aang sighed. It might not make her sick anymore, but she still doesn't like flying.
 
“A while. I still haven't seen the fork in the road that we're supposed to follow yet.” He told her, again, for the fifth time.
 
“Can't we just walk there?” she questioned him.
 
“Then it will take us even longer to get there.” He answered.
 
“So?” she replied, scratching her ear with one finger.
 
“You keep asking me how long it'll take to get there.” He said to her. “If you're in such a hurry to get there why do you want to walk?”
 
“So I know what the hell is going on.” She replied, nonchalantly as she flicked what he could only assume was earwax off of her fingers.
 
“We're not walking.” He told her bluntly.
 
Toph harrumphed and crossed her arms and laid them on the edge of the saddle, her face taking on a displeased scowl as she rested her head on her arms. Jerk. She thought, and frowned a bit more. And after I saved his ass too. Just then her stomach growled and she placed a hand over it. She smirked and then cleared her throat to get his attention. “Hey Aang?”
 
“I swear, if you as me how much longer until we're there one more time I'm going to kick you off of Appa right now.” Aang spoke grumpily.
 
“Jeez! I was just going to ask if we could stop and have some lunch.” She said with feigned hurt, throwing her arms up and then flopping down on her back with a sigh. Momo scurried over and jumped on her stomach, looking from her to Aang and back again. He made a quiet chittering and gave Aang pleading eyes when he looked back at Toph again. “See even Momo thinks it's lunchtime.”
 
At the mention of eating his stomach betrayed him by made a loud grumble. Toph chuckled softly, but didn't say anything else. She already knew this was a battle she would win. Aang thought a moment and then conceded with her. “Fine, we can stop and have lunch.”
 
“Excellent!” She began, a triumphant tone in her voice as she patted Momo on the head then chased him away as she sat up again and leaned her back against the saddle.
 
After we reach the fork in the road.” He told her, smiling to himself, glad for some small victory.
 
“Damn.” She complained and harrumphed discontentedly once more.
 
He chuckled and gave Appa a nudge to go a little faster. He decided he would be a little nice to her, even if her constant questions were getting on her nerves. It was only a little while longer until they reached the fork and Aang had Appa land in a clear spot along the roadside.
 
“Earth sweet earth!” Toph exclaimed as she barreled over the side of the saddle and of onto solid ground. She flopped down on her stomach and rolled around in the grass, inhaling the smell of the dirt. Aang watched from nearby and merely shook his head as he went to find some water for Appa to drink. She lay there for a while, glad to be able to see again. Aang returned quickly with a large ball of water that he was twirling around in the air before stomping with one foot and digging out a hole in the ground which he dropped the water into. Appa eagerly began drinking as Toph turned her head towards him. “I'm thinking dim sum.”
 
Then without another word she rolled onto her stomach, and jumped onto her feet, getting things ready to start cooking. The endeavor followed its usual course with Toph doing the cooking while barking orders at Aang to do the grunt work, like starting the fire and getting the water for cooking rice. He pretty much stayed out of the way otherwise, as he had quickly been labeled the worst cook on the planet by both Toph and Suki when he had tried to help with breakfast that morning. It had turned out even worse than his cooking fiasco back at the Southern Air Temple, a fact Toph had gladly, and loudly, shared with Suki and anyone else with within a ten foot radius.
 
Aang left her be and snoozed for a bit against Appa until she came up, food in hand, and prodded him with a dirty foot. He snorted and popped an eye open as she held a bowl of steaming rice in front of his face. He yawned and stretched out, taking the bowl from her before following her back over to the fire where the other dishes were waiting, as well as some fresh jasmine tea. He sipped from his cup of tea and smiled. Iroh would be proud. This is some pretty decent tea. He sighed and began eating as his stomach grumbled at the smell of the steamed vegetables and other small dishes Toph had made.
 
They paused from eating for only a minute and watched as a small carriage passed by them, heading down the road to Qian. A young woman peeked her head out and watched them briefly Across from him he heard Toph laughing to herself after the carriage was out of sight. He looked at her as he chased Momo, who was trying to steal his food. “What's so funny?”
 
“Newlyweds.” She replied, laughing a bit more quietly this time.
 
“Huh?” He asked, a little confused.
 
“Those were newlyweds in that carriage.” She explained, taking a big bite of rice into her mouth, then handed a chunk of carrot to Momo who had perched himself onto her shoulder.
 
“How could you tell?” he pondered, looking down the road as if he might see the carriage that was already gone.
 
“Because I could sense them, and they were being all mushy-gushy.” She told him. “That has `newlywed' written all over it. I'd bet a gold piece on it.”
 
“Riiiight.” He said, a little sarcastically, trying to get the last few grains of rice from his bowl. Toph scowled and punched the ground with her left fist, making the ground beneath him jut up and knock him backwards. He adjusted himself, hitting the ground himself so it went back to normal, then started brushing rice off of his head and shirt. “What was that for?”
 
“For being a sarcastic smug jerk.” She said lightheartedly and smiling. She stood and stretched, wandering over to Appa who was napping. “By the way, you get to clean up.”
 
She flopped down against him and put her hands behind her head, relaxing while he had the dirty chore of cleaning. She was sure that if any of the big wigs their in Ba Sing Se saw the Avatar, of all people, scrubbing out pots and washing pans, they'd all have heart attacks. The image in her mind amused her and she chuckled to herself. Momo came and curled up with her for the duration of her short nap and this time it was Aang nudging her awake. Although he did it in a bit nicer way.
 
“Time to go Toph.” He said, putting a hand on her shoulder and shaking her gently. The movement startled Momo who stretched out and hopped onto Aang, then up onto Appa.
 
Toph yawned and rubbed at her eyes with her fingers and she sat up and leaned forward. She scratched her head and slowly got up onto her feet. She yawned again and then turned to Aang, who was already sitting on Appa's neck. “You sure we can't walk the rest of the way?”
 
“No Toph. We are not walking.” Aang felt as though he was talking to a child at that moment. “It's already getting late and it'll probably be dark by the time we get there.”
 
“Just seeing if you might've changed your mind.” Toph informed him, joining him on Appa. They were off in a flash and stayed low to better see the road in the fading light. Toph harrumphed and sighed a lot, obviously trying to keep from asking when they'd get there. Aang wouldn't actually kick her off Appa. Tempting as it might be, she'd enjoy getting to walk the rest of the way too much and he'd be feeling guilty about it afterwards.
 
Appa came up over a ridge and right up upon the carriage that had passed them earlier. It was no longer on the road and the ostrich horse that had been pulling it was gone. Below them a woman shrieked as they flew over, startled by the bison that was only a few feet above her. Aang could see her fainting as a man rushed to her side. Behind him Toph jumped up. The poor lemur that had been sleeping in her lap went flying across the saddle and crawled back, chittering unhappily at her as he passed by to sit on Aang's shoulder.
 
“What in the great blue blazes was that?!” Toph had made her way up behind him again, holding a hand over her heart. It was rare that anything surprised her, but seeing as she was currently sightless since they were flying, he found the startled expression she held amusing.
 
“It was a lady on the ground. I think we scared her.” Aang explained as he had the bison turn around and land a few feet away from the carriage.
 
“You think so huh?” Toph remarked as she set foot on solid ground again and was once again aware of what was going on around her. She could feel the two newlyweds that had passed them over and that the poor wife had fainted from the shock of seeing Appa. Aang was already making his way over to the husband, who had his wife's head resting in his lap, fanning her and trying to rouse her from her spell.
 
“Is she alright?” Aang asked, crouching down beside the two.
 
“She will be fine once she wakes up.” The man explained, watching the woman's face as her eyes slowly fluttered open. She looked up at him and smiled softly, then to Aang, then Toph who had come up behind him, and finally to the hairy white mound in the distances that was Appa. She sat up in a rush and put a hand to her head, then turned back to the man.
 
“Piao Li, what happened?!” she cried softly, falling back into his arms.
 
“You were just startled my sweet lotus.” Piao Li spoke gently, holding her hands and helping her to her feet. The woman looked from him, to the others, and back again and then turned a deep scarlet.
 
“I'm so embarrassed.” She said, putting a hand on her cheek.
 
“It's quite alright. One doesn't expect to see a sky bison like that anymore.” Aang reassured her as her husband gave her a cup of cool water.
 
“Sky bison?” She queried, sipping from her cup. “That means you are the Avatar!”
 
“Yes, I am.” Aang spoke kindly, bowing to her and the man. “But you can call me Aang.”
 
“It is a pleasure to meet you.” Piao Li and the woman both bowed to him. “I am Piao Li and this is my new wife Lian.”
 
“I saw you on the road a ways back.” Lian said, glancing at the bison once more. “I wondered who would be traveling the roads with such a unique animal.”
 
“And your friend is?” Lian continued, looking over his shoulder at Toph, who stood there with her arms crossed, looking at them with her pale eyes. She had a knack of making it seem she was looking at someone even though she couldn't actually see them.
 
“Toph Bei Fong.” Toph answered, smiling briefly at the woman before wandering over to the carriage waiting by the side of the road. She ran her hands over the wooden wheel closest to her. “Looks like a broken wheel.”
 
“Ah, yes. We hit some unusually rough terrain for this road and it damaged it so much that we were force to stop. The driver took the ostrich horse and went on ahead to find some help, but I doubt he'll make it back by anytime soon.” Piao Li told her, walking over to where Toph was crouched, his wife and Aang in tow. “We aren't looking forward to spending the night out in this wilderness.”
 
“Where are you heading?” Aang inquired.
 
Piao Li looked back at him. “Qian. We're returning back home from our honeymoon.”
 
“If you'd like, you can come with us.” Aang offered motioning to Appa. “We are on our way to Qian ourselves.”
 
“On the bison?” Lian wondered, unsurely eying the sweet bison that was grazing on some nearby grass.
 
“Is that a problem?” Aang asked.
 
“Lian is deathly afraid of flying. We tried to take an airship to a nice resort in the west for our honeymoon, but she fainted before we were even airborne.” Her husband explained.
 
“Well, that means we'll just have to walk.” Toph chimed in, a chipper sound in her voice. “After all we can't leave a defenseless couple of newlyweds out in the middle of nowhere, can we Avatar Aang?”
 
She nudged him in the ribs with her elbow and smiled broadly. As much as he hated it, she was right. He couldn't very well leave them out here alone. The wife seemed much too delicate for that sort of thing. “I suppose not. We can load your things on Appa and he can follow after us. We'll get as far as we can before it gets dark and then stop for the night.”
 
“Thank you so much Avatar Aang.” Piao Li said gratefully as both he and his wife bowed deeply. Aang and Piao Li unloaded all of the things from the broken carriage into Appa's saddle and Aang asked his friend to follow after them. The bison grunted and gave him a soggy kiss. Piao Li left a hastily sprawled note in the carriage should they not meet up with the carriage driver before they reached the city. Aang led the group from his glider and Toph took up the lead on the ground. She couldn't have been any happier about being able to walk the rest of the way either.
 
------­------------------------
 
Come nightfall, they made camp just off the road. Aang was helping Piao Li construct a makeshift tent for he and Lian, while Toph took it upon herself to make dinner. With her husband busy, Lian took to following the young earthbender around the campsite like a lost puppy. It was really starting to get on Toph's nerves too. The other woman would trail so close behind her that if she stopped abruptly, Lian would bump into her and nearly knock her over, after which she would apologize profusely. She would back off for a little bit, but then be right up behind her again. Toph was beginning to wonder if she glued herself to her husband like this as well.
 
She dropped some vegetables into a boiling pot of broth, stirring them a moment. What I wouldn't give to eat some meat again. She sighed and stood up, and crashed right into Lian who had been timidly pacing behind her. The impact knocked both of them onto their backsides. The earthbender grimaced and blew at the hair hanging in her face.
 
“I'm so, so, so terribly sorry, again Miss Bei Fong.” Lian said, bowing to her as she got up on her feet.
 
“Please, just call me Toph.” Toph decided that it was time to stop the madness before it continued. Standing back up she put her hand on Lian's shoulder and led her over to the seating area that her husband had delicately set up for her when Aang had announced that they should stop for the night. She had the woman sit down on a large fluffy pillow and smiled softly at her. “Why don't you wait here until dinner is ready, hm?”
 
“Oh, but, I would like to help.” The young woman told her, now fiddling with her hands as she sat there.
 
“Well, it would very helpful to me if you sat here quietly for a bit.” Toph suggested, smiling again as Lian fidgeted more.
 
“Alone?” Lian queried.
 
“No, not alone. I'll be right over there by the fire.” Toph explained. It was becoming blatantly obvious that this young woman didn't get out much. “And your husband and Aang, the Avatar, are only a few feet away.”
 
“Okay.” She conceded, sinking into the pillow a bit more and watching as Toph walked away.
 
A short distance away, Aang was watching the event unfold, highly amused by the whole situation. He had even chuckled a bit loudly that last time that the two women had crashed into each other. Toph rarely was able to be knocked down, but it seemed the flighty young woman managed too. He could also tell that she was starting to get agitated with Lian when she led her away from the activity and made her stay sitting there. He could only wonder what it was they said to one another. Piao Li seemed more or less oblivious to it all. He must be used to it by now, being married to her at all.
 
Aang chuckled again, and Piao Li looked over at him and smiled. “You seem very amused.”
 
“Ah,” Aang began. He needed a good excuse for his laughter, one that wouldn't embarrass or insult the man. “I just remembered something funny is all.”
 
“I see.” Piao Li said, banging a wooden stake into the ground with the heel of his foot. Then the man turned to his wife and grinned. “My lotus is so beautiful.”
 
Aang glanced over to where he had last seen the woman and noticed she was no longer there. Briefly scanning the campsite, while trying to get a makeshift support beam to stay up straight, he found her. She was once again tagging along behind Toph, getting in the way and generally causing chaos. He glanced at Piao Li, who was waiting for Aang to confirm his statement. “Yes, she is very pretty.”
 
“Yes, I am a lucky man.” The man said as he finished staking down corners of the tent, and then put an arm around Aang's shoulders. “Now, let's see what there is to eat!”
 
------­------------------------
 
“Aaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!” Toph screamed into her pillow, her screams muffled by the walls of her rock tent. “That woman is just…argh!”
 
She had never come across such a clingy, needy, timid young woman before. Not even the young noble girls that she taught earthbending to clung to her like that. The woman was like a child. Dinner had gone over as well as an Elephant Koi in the Si Wong Desert. Lian had glued herself to Toph until her husband had finally gotten within arms reach, where she then helplessly clung to his waist. And even when she tried to be helpful, Lian only managed to cause a mess. The earthbender doubted that the woman had ever cooked or served a meal by herself in her life.
 
Toph finally rolled over and lay on her back for a minute, when the awkward pacing that was easily identified as Lian started shuffling around outside her tent. Dropping one wall of her tent, she listened in to the continuing conversation.
 
“…for ten minutes, at most Lian, my dear.” Piao Li comforted his wife, who had death gripped herself to his arm, a tear rolling down her cheek.
 
“Don't leave me all alone Piao Li, please don't leave me alone.” Lian pleaded, clutching him even tighter, as he tried to wedge himself loose. Aang stood on the sidelines and Toph could sense him shaking his head ever so slightly as he held back a laugh. “I'm so afraid out here!”
 
“You will be fine. There is nothing out here that will harm you as long as you stay put.” The husband explained, finally wrenching himself free of her grasp and plopping her down onto the plush pillows nearby. “Now, the Avatar and I are going to get some more firewood.”
 
“Please don't go!” Lian sobbed, burying her face in her hands. Aang stifled another laugh, and glanced her way, and she swore she could feel the mischievous grin spreading across his face.
 
“Don't worry Lian.” Aang said soothingly as he chimed in for the first time. He dropped down to her side and patted her back. Then he motioned at Toph, who was now peeking halfway out of her tent just to hear better. “Toph is right there and she'll protect you. She is a master earthbender after all. I'll bet she'll even let you brush her hair.”
 
“You did say how envious you were of her long locks, my sweet.” Piao Li added, slowly backing away from her.
 
“Really?” The woman's voice trembled as she looked to the earthbender and then to them again.
 
“Really.” Aang assured her. Seeing as how that appeased her, the two men took their chance to escape the camp, leaving the two women all alone. Toph scowled deeply and made a mental vow to get even with him. Just you wait Twinkletoes! I'll sneak up on you like a ninja and knock you into your next life! She growled quietly as Lian scuffled over to Toph. Then, with as much sweetness as she could muster, the earthbender smiled.
 
“Your hair is really so pretty.” Lian told her with a teary smile and petted the end of Toph's braid. Toph growled again and started thinking of all the ways she could get back at him.
 
------­------------------------
 
“How long ago were you and she married?” Aang asked, making small talk as they disappeared into the darkness. He flipped his palm up and coaxed a small flickering fireball to form in his hand to light their path.
 
“Nearly a month now.” Piao Li answered, grabbing some twigs up off the ground nearby. He sighed and smiled. “We were wed on the cusp of springtime, before the summer heat began. Never has there been such a happy day in my life.”
 
“You talk about her as though she is the gem of your life.” The Avatar stated, pushing back a large branch that hung in his way. The way Piao Li talked of his wife he would have thought they had been together for years. “You must have been sweethearts for a long time.”
 
“Not really.” The other man responded.
 
“So,” Aang began, raising an eyebrow. “How long have you known her then?”
 
“Nearly a month.” Piao Li replied, casually gathering more tinder and fallen branches. Aang gave him a puzzled look.
 
“So you met…” he began.
 
“On our wedding day.” Piao Li finished. “The matchmaker said she would make the perfect bride for me. It was a beneficial union for both my family and hers. I got a beautiful wife whose family status has elevated my own, and they gained a son-in-law whose business ventures keep us all with our heads above water.”
 
“Um, sure.” Aang was speechless otherwise. He was having a hard time processing what he just heard. Piao Li and Lian were involved with an arranged marriage that was not based on love but on what either would gain from such a union. Never, in a hundred million years would I ever do such a thing. His mind was reeling and he was suddenly filled with a great understanding why his friend so wholeheartedly avoided the arranged suitors her parents sent.
 
“She is; of course, quite a bit younger than me, but it is that delicateness which I love about her.” Continued the man. “It also causes problems time and again.
 
“But, if you truly love her, then age shouldn't matter.” Aang was trying to get some leeway here, and all this talk of marriage made him start thinking more about Katara again. “How much of a difference is there anyway?”
 
“Twelve years.” Piao Li said, in that casual unconcerned voice. Aang stumbled. Just how old is that girl anyway?
 
------­------------------------
 
“You have such lovely hair.” Lian said, pulling a bristly brush down the length of Toph's dark locks. She sat facing the fire while the young woman slid the brush through her hair over again. “It's a shame that you don't do more with it.”
 
Lian was obviously referring to the impeccable coif that she was sporting. It was done up with so many pins and bobbles that Toph was surprised she didn't fall over from the weight of it. The brush jerked through a tough tangle and she gritted her teeth. Lian sighed behind her. “Still, I'm so jealous of you.”
 
“For what?” Toph asked gruffly. “My hair?”
 
“Well, yes, I suppose that's one reason.” Lian answered, giggling softly and scrunching up her nose. “But also because you are with the Avatar. It must be such an honor.”
 
“It has its moments.” Toph told her, shrugging her shoulders and taking a drink from the cup of sake she had poured herself. It was the only way she knew she would be able to resist strangling the mousy woman.
 
Lian giggled again. “And here I thought the Avatar was sweet on some waterbender from the south. Glad to see he has better taste than that.”
 
Toph gagged on her drink and began coughing ferociously as the other woman patted her back. “What now?! You think I'm with him with him?!”
 
“I just thought, since you were traveling together, and you seem so close…” The woman trailed off.
 
“No no no no no no no.” Toph said, shaking her head and her hands in objection at the same time. “We're just friends, and only friends.”
 
“Oh, I'm so sorry. I jumped to conclusions.” Lian said, shrinking back in on herself. “It's just that any one I've ever known who was that close. Well, they were together...intimately together.”
 
“Do you not have many friends, Lian?” Toph queried. “I mean, surely you and Piao Li must have started off as friends at some point?”
 
“No. Our marriage was arranged.” The young woman answered, sinking to her knees and timidly going back to brushing Toph's hair. “I was very sheltered as a child.”
 
“That explains a lot.” The earthbender mumbled under her breath. She cleared her throat and spoke louder this time. “How old are you anyway?”
 
“I'll be sixteen next month.” Lian replied. Toph choked again and had another coughing fit. Her poor companion growing even more puzzled with her.
 
“Egads woman! What would possess you to agree to such a thing?” Toph was getting mad now. This was just so typical. Damn nobles and their outdated traditions!
 
“What do you mean? It was an honor to marry into Piao Li's family.” She spoke softly, choosing her words carefully as it seemed they were upsetting her companion. “My parents said it was a good match and a good thing for our family.”
 
The earthbender relentlessly continued with her interrogation. “But you don't even love him, do you?”
 
“I do. I think.” Lian sounded confused. “He is very good to me.”
 
“Didn't you ever have any dreams, goals, ambitions?” Toph asked.
 
“Of course!” Lian had perked up now. “To marry a man of my parents choosing and bring honor to my family. To be a devoted, loving wife and give my husband a home and family. That's what I want.”
 
Toph scoffed and crossed her arms, trying to hold her tongue. It's brainwashing! I'm glad I was smart enough to get away from it before my parents did it to me! She couldn't hold back anymore.

“Is that it? Is that really the only thing you wanted out of life? To be a pampered housewife who wastes her life confined behind the walls of her husbands estate?” Toph spat bitterly and Lian lost all of her perkiness once more. The earthbender had that effect on people.
 
“No?” Lian answered cautiously, gauging Toph's reaction. “I…I, well, it's silly really.”
 
Toph, sensing the nervousness of the girl turned around and placed a hand over hers. “Go ahead.”
 
“I wanted to open a dress shop, and design clothes for people.” Was the timid response from the woman.
 
“Now, that is a real dream.” Toph said in a nicer voice, her anger ebbing. She even managed to give Lian a nice smile. I might actually start to like this self-assured version of Lian. “Keep a hold of it and try to pursue it. Don't resign yourself to just being someone's wife.”
 
“Okay.” Lian answered, smiling back finally and Toph thought she might have dug through all of the timid sheltered much to the real girl beneath it all. “Say, Miss Bei Fong…um, I mean, Toph?”
 
“Hm?” The earthbender queried.
 
The young woman had an even bigger smile on her face now. “Do you think, maybe, you would let me design a dress for you when you get married?”
 
Then she snuck in, in a whisper. “Maybe to the Avatar?”
 
Toph heard her and was just about to speak up about that when she heard the crunch of footsteps approaching. Piao Li passed them and dropped his pile of firewood next to them while Aang tilted his head as Toph turned beet red and tried to hide it. “Who's getting married?”
 
Lian, breaking in her newfound confidence, opened her mouth to reply but Toph caught on a second quicker than she had to start speaking. A hand clamped over the young woman's mouth before she could even inhale. Toph grinned at him and then dragged her off to have a nice talk about what she shouldn't just blurt out. Piao Li looked at him, and then the girls who were wandering away. “What's with them?”
“Who knows?” Aang said with a sigh and he dropped his pile of wood with Piao Li's and then started rifling through things for the teapot. A nice warm cup of tea was just the solution to soothe his still spiraling brain. He found it, buried at the bottom of a bag of freshly scrubbed pots (his doing, since it seems clean up duty was his new permanent chore). He bent some water out of a flask at his hip and bent it into the pot. He placed it on the fire and waited for it to start boiling as Piao Li went off in search of his wife.
 
He and Lian wandered by as he was taking his first sips of freshly brewed tea, and disappeared into the tent that he and Aang had set up earlier. Toph appeared a few minutes later, an apathetic expression on her face as she plunked down beside him and flopped back in the dirt, sending dust up around her. He glanced down at her and held a cup out to her. “Tea?”
 
“Only if by tea, you mean sake.” She commented, sitting up. She rolled her shoulders and cracked her neck, then reached over for her half full cup that she had left sitting there. She filled it up and drank it down in one shot.
 
“Rough night?” He joked, sipping his tea.
 
“No more than usual.” She answered, filling the cup again, but drinking from it slowly this time. She shook the jug of alcohol in front of him and smiled. “You game?”
 
“I don't drink.” Aang told her, pushing the jug back her direction.
 
“Is this one of those beliefs of yours like the whole not eating meat thing right?” She said with a smirk, elbowing him hard in the ribs as she set the jug down. “Suit yourself. I just thought you'd actually like to get some sleep tonight, but I guess not.”
 
“What do you mean?” Aang asked, finishing his cup of tea and pouring another.
 
“Have you ever been around newlyweds before Twinkletoes?” she asked him.
 
“Of course.” He replied.

“Who?” She perked up an eyebrow.
 
“Sokka and Suki. I was there when they were married. So were you.” He told her. “I think you've had enough to drink, with all these dumb questions.”
 
“Yes, we were there when they got married, but then again you didn't sleep within ten feet of them that night either. I'm just glad I opted to not stay the night after the wedding.” She said, shivering a little at the thought. “There's a reason why they've got the phrase `honeymoon baby' you know.”
 
She pointed over to the tent where Piao Li and Lian were. “Granted they didn't just get married, but they're still newlyweds, and just because we're here doesn't mean they'll be courteous just for us. At least I've got a buzz and a wall of rock to block most of it out.”
 
Aang stared at the tent for a moment and thought about what she had said. Then his eyes went wide with realization as his mouth fell open. “Oooooh.”
 
“Trying to catch flies?” she asked, reaching over and snapping his mouth shut. She shook the jug of sake in front of him. “Changed your mind?”
 
He looked down at his half finished cup of tea and poured it out on the ground beside him. He held it out to her and looked away as she chuckled and filled it. He stared down at the new liquid in his cup and sighed. “What the hell.”
 
And then he downed the cup, coughing once as it went down. Toph patted him on the shoulder and reached over to refill it for him. He drank it, more slowly this time and was glad that it didn't burn as bad going down this time. Beside him, his friend sighed and rubbed her nose with one hand. “Just be glad you can't feel them.”
 
Aang chuckled, but the chuckle soon became a loud obnoxious laugh that she joined in on. And so they sat there, by the fire, slowly drinking the last of the sake they would get until Qian, and laughing jovially. It was late before they both wandered off to their respective beds. Toph returned back to her tent of stone and Aang made himself cozy in Appa's saddle that he had removed earlier. He stared at the sky, laying there with Momo cuddled against his head, and smiled. Spending time with Toph was fun, adventurous, despite their recent run-ins with pirates and assassins. He wished he could enjoy everyday life like he was enjoying this. If only, he thought, if only.
 
------­------------------------
 
Aang groaned and rolled over, holding his head, which ached something fierce. Popping one eye open, he was able to see that it was still fairly early, but the sunlight coming up over the horizon seemed much brighter than he was used to. He shut his eyes and rolled back onto his back, covering his face with one arm. He didn't even want to move, and began to vow never to drink again. Or at the very least, never drink with Toph again.
 
A few moments later he felt someone jabbing him in the rib with one finger. He lifted his arm and glared to his right. His eyes met pale green ones that didn't look at him. “What do you want, you awful evil woman?”
 
“Awe, love you too Twinkletoes.” She said in a childish voice, pinching his cheek. He grumbled and batted her hand away. She pulled it away, but instead shoved a cup in his face. He looked at it and sniffed it, cringing at the smell.
 
“I am not drinking any more sake with you now or ever again.” He said sternly. She continued to push the cup at him. Beside him Momo yawned and sniffed at the cup, then licked out of it and shuddered. He chittered and leapt over onto her shoulder and down her back.
 
“Hair of the polar bear dog, as they say.” She pushed the cup at him until he took it from her. “Just drink it. And if you don't feel a little better after that, I did make you some tea.”

He did as he was told, and the headache ebbed a bit as the alcohol made its way through his system. It was enough to get him to get up out of bed. He looked around, as the sunrise painted the campsite with a golden hue. Most of it was already cleaned up and organized, save for the fire, which had the teapot sitting over the flames, keeping the tea inside warm. Toph walked up beside him, a bag in each hand, and dropped them into the saddle. He watched, as he served himself some tea, as she dumped the other bags into the saddle as well then kicked up a pedestal of rock to sit on. She could feel him watching her and turned to look at him, even though she couldn't actually see his face. “What?”
 
“You.” He trailed off.
 
“I, what, spit it out Twinkletoes.” She asked, scratching behind her ear.
 
“You actually packed up.” He told her. “I'm just surprised. It's kind of out of character for you.”
 
“Aren't I just full of wonderful surprises.” She said in a sarcastic, but joking tone. “I'm going to go rouse the newlyweds. You might want to saddle up your buddy while I'm at it.”
 
He simply nodded and used his airbending to lift the saddle onto Appa's back, where he secured it down and then nuzzled his furry friend. Piao Li and Lian wandered out of their tent, neither looking thrilled to be awake so early. He offered them what was left of the tea Toph had made, while the earthbender took down the makeshift tent and tossed it into the bison's saddle. She then waited for them to get done and tossed the teapot up as well. Then they were off like a herd of turtle ducks, down the road to Qian.
 
------­------------------------
 
“So, what was all that talk about you getting married last night?” Aang asked mischievously, about midday after scouting from the sky for how far they were from the city. She scowled and punched him in the shoulder. He rubbed it and looked to see if it was bruised. “That hurt you know.”
 
“I know. It was supposed to hurt.” Toph told him, cracking the knuckles on both hands.
 
“All I did was ask a question.” He stated, a teasing smile on his face that she couldn't see, but could still feel. “I'm just wondering if you found yourself a boyfriend while I wasn't paying attention. And I hope it's not Sokka, because he's taken you know.”
 
“Shut up Aang!” she growled, punching at him again, but he was too fast for her this time, and leapt over to her other side with some airbending to get him out of her reach. Playing games, huh? Well, it takes two to tango bucko. He walked on beside her, grinning immensely and thinking he had the upper hand on her for once. She laughed and tripped him up by making part of the road sink where he was walking. He fell face down and the only thing that saved him was his airbending.
 
“Come on. I'm curious.” He nagged, and stepped in front of her. Behind them, Lian giggled and buried her face in Piao Li's tunic. Toph rolled her eyes. Aang looked back at the other woman, grumpy that they had a secret that he wanted to know and wasn't being told.
 
“Curiosity killed the cat owl.” Toph remarked, stepping around him and continued down the road.
 
“Yea, well, I'm not a cat owl, now am I?” He said, walking backwards in front of her.
 
“Not as far as I know, but then I've never seen your face, have I?” She teased. “For all I know you could be uglier than a cat owl.”
 
“Hey!” Aang whined. He scoffed and adjusted his robe, walking with his nose in the air like a snub. “I happen to be devilishly handsome, just so you know.”
 
“Really?” She asked coyly, a big broad smile splayed across her face. Lian snickered behind them and Aang flashed her a dirty look. But it was too late. Toph had heard her and now smiled even larger.
 
“I hope you know that you're a horrible liar.” She chuckled, punching him in the arm again, but not so hard this time. Then she pointed down at the ground. “My feet told me so. By the way, a good piece of advice, never play cards against me.”
 
It was quiet for a bit, save for the quiet whispering of sweet nothings behind them, and they continued onward. However, Aang had not given up. He was dead set on knowing what it was his friend and Lian had been talking about, and why they had stopped talking about it when he approached. And also why it was that Lian thought it to be so hilarious she giggled at every mention of it.
 
Aang took a deep breath, and moseyed up to Toph, who had taken the lead. “So, are you going to tell me?”

“Do you really want to know?” Toph asked, taking a deep breath and letting out a long sigh.
 
“Yep.” He told her, grinning.
 
“Really?” She asked in a sing-song voice putting her arm over his shoulder and leaning in closely so her face was right next to his. “Really really?
 
Aang sighed. “Yes.”
 
Lian giggled again, and somehow he had a horrible sinking feeling that he was walking into a trap, or at least going to be regretting asking later. Toph smirked and pulled away; mimicking the walk he had taken earlier, of walking backwards in front of him. She casually stuck her hands in her pockets and shrugged. “Okay then, I'll tell you.”
 
Still walking, she leaned forward and put her mouth next to his ear, whispering softly in a seductive voice she was sure would give him the heebie-jeebies for the rest of the day. “Apparently, I should be marrying you. We're very suitable for one another from what I hear.”
 
Aang paled as she backed away, and she could feel him stopping dead in his tracks. His jaw went slack as she turned on her heels and snuck away. Then, with a shake of his head, he looked up at her. “Wait, what?!”
 
Suddenly, everyone but he burst out into loud raucous laughter. He stared dumbfounded at her as a shiver went up his spine. Toph chuckled. He jogged to catch up with her, but she kept him at a distance. “Did you really say what I think you just said?”
 
“I dunno,” She called back over her shoulder. “What am I supposed to think that you're thinking of when you're thinking of what I just said?”
 
“That's not funny Toph!” He shouted at her.
 
Toph shrugged. “Really, because I thought it was hi-lar-i-ous!”
 
“Stop it!” He whined.
 
“Didn't anyone ever tell you not to bite off more than you can chew?” She teased. Aang tried to catch up with her again, but she was too fast and got ahead of him.
 
“But, if you really must know,” She cupped her hands and shouted as loud as she could back at him. “Lian thinks we're lovers and should go and get hitched!”
 
And then like a flash she disappeared over a hill in the distance, leaving Aang turning a bright red color. Behind him, both Lian and Piao Li were stifling their laughter. And then he wished he could kick himself in the ass. Eventually his blush faded, and they caught up with Toph, who waited just over the crest of the hill. As they came upon her she splayed her arms out to gesture in front of them.
 
“Ladies…and Piao Li,” She began. “I give you the Earth Kingdom city of Qian!”
 
------­------------------------
 
“Thank you so much Avatar Aang for guiding us back to the city.” Piao Li said, bowing deeply to him. They had made it safely into the city, and had guided the newlyweds to their home. Now they stood outside the gate of the estate, exchanging farewells.
 
Beside him, Lian moved over and pecked him innocently on the cheek. “We are very grateful.”
 
“It was an honor.” Aang said, bowing to them. “Good luck and many blessings on your marriage.”
 
“Thank you!” They replied, waving as he and Toph walked away. Momo hopped between Aang's shoulder and hers, and back again, deciding which was better to perch on.
 
“Nice how you always get the thanks.” Toph joked, not really caring one way or another.
 
“What can I say, I'm the great Avatar Aang.” He puffed up his chest and spoke in a deep voice. “Champion of justice and truth, ender of wars, master of the elements!”
 
“Yea, well you're still a Twinkletoes.” She replied.
 
“Yea, and you're short.” He told her, resting his elbow on her head. She got mad and shoved him away. He nearly bumped into a lady with a basket of groceries in one arm, and a baby in another, but managed to avoid knocking her over. Still, he ended up tripping and falling over. Trying to catch himself, he grabbed at her and pulled her down with him. They both landed with a hard thud on the flagstone roadway, Momo sandwiched between them. The lemur screeched angrily and ran off; most likely to the stable where they'd left Appa. At least there, he had less of a chance of being crushed.
 
“Nice. Maybe I should start calling you klutz instead.” She told him as he pushed her up off of him, and then turned around to give him a hand up.
 
“You were the one who shoved me.” He replied, crossing his arms indignantly. Before she could counter with another witty remark, a woman screamed behind them. Aang jumped up onto a wooden barrel to see over the crowd that was clearing the away. Back where they had just left Piao Li and Lian, the crowd was making a circle away from the gate. He looked down at Toph, who looked as though she already could sense what was happening. “Looks like trouble.”
 
“I think those two just attract it.” She said, before darting off and shoving her way through the crowd. Aang chased after her, and grabbed her by the shoulder, pulling her back.
 
“What are you doing?” He asked.
 
“What's it look like? I'm helping.” Toph answered, shoving he way through the throngs of people again.
 
“Can't you just let the guards take care of it?” He shouted, trying to catch up with her. As he pushed through to the front of the crowd, he could see what all the commotion was about. Lian was being held at knifepoint by a masked thief. Tears streamed down the young woman's face and she whimpered for her husband.
 
“Back away now or I kill the pretty little noble lady.” Spoke a female voice from behind the mask, laying the blade against the skin of Lian's neck, then at Toph, who stood defensively, rock fists already formed. The thief turned to Piao Li, who was backed up against the wooden doors of the gate, a look of fear on his face that matched his wife's. “Now, give me all of your money and valuables! Quickly!”
 
Toph backed away a bit, noticing him at the front of the crowd. She placed herself in front of him, defenses ready, and whispered over her shoulder to him. “She hasn't seen you yet.”
 
That was all he needed to know as he slipped back into the crowd and around the corner where there was no crowd. He leapt up onto the wall of the estate and carefully approached overhead. Piao Li fumbled with the coin purse on his belt and removed his jewelry, dropping it into the coin purse as well and noticed Aang up on the wall as he handed it to her. The thief noticed his gesture and snatched the coin purse as she swiftly turned to face him. Using the distraction Toph leapt forward. The thief backed up against the wall, the knife still at Lian's throat.
 
Surrounded, she made a quick decision and shoved the young woman at Toph and darted away down the road. Aang snapped open his glider and made chase as she weaved down roads and alleyways. Toph caught Lian, and then passed her to her husband, forcing her way through the crowd to follow after Aang. The city guards who were unsure of what to do with a life at risk followed after, trying to block off the thief's escape. Aang caught up with her first, landing in front of her and stopping her from moving forward. She turned to double back, but the guards had caught up as well and blocked escape from behind. Pausing as he and the guards slowly moved in on her, she tried to dart down a nearby alley, and ran straight into Toph, who whipped her arm out and caught the girl in the throat, taking her down.
 
The guards swooped in and arrested her. She struggled to get free and it was then that Aang noticed the black band around her arm and suddenly remembered the pirates that attacked Sokka's ship. Were there any women aboard that ship? No, there were only men, and they were Fire Nation. This girl's eyes are green. And suddenly he remembered the assassins back on Kyoshi, and how he thought something was not quite right about what they wore. Thinking back, he realized that they too wore plain black bands around their arms as well. She can't be one of the assassins; Suki said they don't trouble this city. Aang decided that he should interrogate this woman as soon as possible.
 
“You're thinking about something, aren't you Twinkletoes?” Toph asked, making her way up to him.
 
“Yea, and it involves talking with that girl.” He responded, following after the guards who were dragging her away. “Care for a little interrogation?”

“Sounds like fun.” She told him, keeping in pace with him.
 
------­------------------------

“Do you belong to some kind of gang?” Aang asked sternly. The guards had no problems letting him interrogate this thief. He had helped capture her, and, of course, he was the Avatar. Now he stood in a walled, windowless room with only one door out, pacing around in front of a girl who was not much older than thirteen. She scowled at him and stuck out her tongue defiantly. He sighed. They'd been there a while and she refused to give any answers.
 
Toph was leaned into the far left corner of the room behind her, which was starting to intimidate the girl, but not enough to get an answer. Finally, she pushed off the wall and walked around the chair to face the girl. She put each hand on an arm of the chair and leaned in close to her until their noses almost touched. The girl shirked back as Toph stared at her with her glassy green eyes. “Well, if she won't talk through intimidation, I suppose there are other alternative methods.”
 
Aang watched her curiously and wondered what exactly she had in mind when she said `alternative' methods.'
 
“Now, I know you're scared and afraid, but we won't hurt you. We just want to find out some things from you. Some things only you can answer for us, okay?” The girl slowly nodded, as Toph turned to face her again. She spoke very sweetly and smiled at the girl. “You'll actually have to speak to me sweetheart. I'm blind and can't see you nodding your head.”
 
“Y…yes'm.” The girls spoke, a tremor in her voice. She had lost all the daring she had displayed earlier, but then again, his earthbender friend had that effect on people. Toph bent down by her, and brushed away a stray tear that rolled down her cheek. Aang stood back, watching his friend comfort the girl.
 
“Now, can you answer the question that my friend asked earlier?” Toph questioned softly.
 
“About the gang?” The girl queried as Toph gently nodded. “Yes, I am. They told me I had to rob that lady if I want to be a member. Now that they know I was caught, I can't go back.”
 
“It's okay. Gangs are bad. They're trouble.” Toph told her, smiling. “What you want to do is grow up good and follow your dreams.”
 
“I will. I promise.” She agreed. “Just don't lock me away. My mom's heart will break.”
 
“Don't worry. We'll do our best to keep that from happening.” Aang finally spoke up again. He knelt down in front of her and smiled softly. She smiled back at him, wiping away another stray tear. “Can you tell me your name?”
 
“My name is Tamae.” She answered.
 
“Hi Tamae. I'm Aang.” He told her. “I have another question for you. You know the band you have around your arm, the black one? What does it mean?”
 
Tamae sniffled, and put a hand over the band, pulling it off and holding it in her hands. “It's how the gang got its name, The Black Band Bandits. There's lots of them out there. I heard a rumor that they are in every nation.”
 
“Who was your boss, or who told you to rob that lady earlier?” Toph questioned.
 
“He was just an average member, I think. But theys looking for lots of new people.” Tamae replied. “I heard that a bunch of `em was caught not long ago and were locked up in Omashu.”
 
“Do you know who that member's boss is?” Aang queried.
 
“I listened in when I shouldn't of, and I know they answer to the biggest boss who lives up north somewheres, but around here, they listen to somebody called the Dragon Line.” She answered, frowning and throwing the black band to the floor. “Mostly they just call him Dragon.”
 
“Thank you for helping us Tamae.” Toph told her, taking the girl by the hand. “Why don't we get out of here and take you home, hm?”
 
“I really, really want to go home.” Tamae said. Aang rapped on the door, and the guards opened it and let them through. At first they objected to letting them take the girl with them, but Aang finagled them into believing that the girl would not repeat her actions, and with the promise that she'd simply do community service instead of jail time. She was only a kid after all.
 
They made their way out, Aang leading the way with the girls close behind him. As they followed the long corridor to the front entrance of the jail, they were met halfway by a statuesque man with an entourage of guards behind him. He smile and approached Aang, bowing deeply to him. “Avatar Aang! What an honor it is to have you visit humble Qian. And to even go as far as catching a thief for us. I assure you though; the streets of my city are clean of troublemakers. The city guards see to that, but sometimes one or two just slip through their fingertips.”
 
The man glanced at Tamae, who slid herself in behind Toph and watched him cautiously from around him. Aang bowed back to the man, watching him uncertainly as he spoke. “And who might you be?”
 
“I am Ling Dao Ren, a humble delegate to the Nations Council and mayor of the city of Qian.” The man announced with a flourish, bowing to Aang again and smiling at him.